[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I properly describe massive things in-game without it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3442.jpg (362KB, 893x1488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3442.jpg
362KB, 893x1488px
How do I properly describe massive things in-game without it sounding retarded? Take pic for example.
>The giant is about five thousand feet tall and has armor on. He's also carrying a glowing greatsword.
>>
Don't just describe the giant, describe the things the giant does just by existing.
>The ground shatters under his feet, the surrounding countryside shaking after ever step.
>His breathing can be heard for thousands of feet.
>His sword not only buries itself dozens of meters into the mountainside, but the shockwave in the wind uproots trees and shatters stone.
>>
>>50779920
> on the horizon you see a giant large enough to tower over the spires of (place name).
> his greatsword is almost as large as he is.
Etc...
>>
>>50779920
Abstract it.
>The giant's height is beyond your reckoning, with a girth to match.
>At his side he carries a sword forged from many veins of metal.
>Armor thicker than a castle's wall rings a torso larger than most mountains.
So on and so forth.
>>
How many D6 worth of damage would that greatsword deal?
>>
>>50780715
3d6
>>
>>50780737
That's for a large sized one. This is like colossal++++++++
>>
>>50779920
>his dong is bigger than the tallest tower.
>>
>>50780773
5d6
>>
Memnonian
Behemothic
Cyclopean
Titanic
Wumbo
>>
>>50780821
>Cyclopean
The giant has two eyes
>>
>>50780715
That wouldn't be counted as a greatsword for damage. It would use the fall damage mechanic loosely to decide how fucked the target is.
>>
>>50780888
Cylcopean can mean big my man
>>
File: 1356904760556.png (136KB, 1120x977px) Image search: [Google]
1356904760556.png
136KB, 1120x977px
>>50780821
>wumbo
>>
>>50779920
Start by explaining what it seems like at first (geological feature etc) then describe it in terms that are incredulous ("it bears the form of a man, though your mind rejects the comparison outright. This is no man, it is a mountain awakened, a bluff which walks"), then describe details referencing back to something familiar ("The massive approximation of a sword, large as it is even for its wielder, clutched in the colossal armored gauntlet of this lumbering colossus glows with a faint light as if threatening to usurp even the sun's place in the natural order)

It sounds to me like you need to do more book readin. Expand your vocab.
>>
>>50779920
I find that precise measurements always lessen the impact. Instead of saying "This guy is 5,000 ft tall!" saying "This guy is a colossal being who's height surpasses the very clouds" or something along those lines is a lot more effective.
>>
File: death-chan.jpg (179KB, 358x598px) Image search: [Google]
death-chan.jpg
179KB, 358x598px
Description of divine, literally larger than life things that I've often imaged and plan to maybe use in-game someday;
>You look over your shoulder and for a moment you catch a glimse of a single, black wing
>As you look at it you cant tell if it's either fairly small and close by or far away but so massively big that you can see the light glimmer off of every little feather
>It beats a single time before it disappears

This is something I've thought of for minor interactions with my Death of the Endless inspired Pharasma (Godess of Death) in Pathfinder.

Pls r8 or h8.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.