[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I run campaigns, I like the PCs to be part of an organisation/guild/gang

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

When I run campaigns, I like the PCs to be part of an organisation/guild/gang from the very start. The reasons are many:
>not having to write much backstory, it all ties in better
>it gives a conforting sense of belonging, players are also much willing to go along a set plan when they roleplay as a gang than as a bunch of mismatched marysues.
>Its easier to fit new characters as the PCs die. You can always say that a new member has ascended in the order or just been recruited.
>Is easier to find drives and plot hooks. The higher parts of the gang/order have a mission for the PCs. If they are the leaders, just ask them what's the next goal for the gang. Then make a game out of it. This sets my players playing on their non-gaming time, talking and planning what's the new direction the team should take.
Seriously guys, try it.

I'm planning a new game set on a faux europe-late XIX century. I'm wondering if the PCs should all be a team of spy knights at the service of a queen (think james bond set on that age) or more like the local rangers of a frontier town (like medieval texas rangers, you know, rural police).
>>
>>50768055
Organized prostitutes
>>
>PCs are four-five bards on a tour (not bards as class, but as a side-profession for their class -fighter, thief, whatever)
>they're like the most famous band of the moment
>the land is having an age of riots and revolutions, censorship, fascism; the brink of a civil war. The rulers are somehow against them doing the tour at all, and will try to find them guilty of something as an excuse to have them executed.
>They must travel the land in disguise.
>>
>>50768068
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Soiled_Doves
>>
>>50768055
This is a good idea which is why you aren't going to get lot of replies. You need to post divisive bullshit to get noticed on /tg/.
>>
File: descarga (2).jpg (6KB, 144x198px) Image search: [Google]
descarga (2).jpg
6KB, 144x198px
>>50768395
OK, this is now a Stat me Thread.

STAT ME
>>
There's a reason this is the default in shadowrun.

I usually have my players be part of a mercenary company or work for some sort of sponsor, if only to keep come continuity going in the story.
>>
I want to do a cowboy bebop equivalent on a non-space setting. All PCs are bounty hunters. What can I use as a substitute for the spaceship? It has something that the players can spend their moneys on, and improve over time. Hard mode: Not a ship.
>>
>>50770227
Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut.

Hijinks will insue.
>>
>>50768055
>I'm planning a new game set on a faux europe-late XIX century. I'm wondering if the PCs should all be a team of spy knights at the service of a queen (think james bond set on that age) or more like the local rangers of a frontier town (like medieval texas rangers, you know, rural police).

One of the PC's is a good for nothing noble that likes spending lots of money, the rest of the PCs are hangers-on, gold diggers, suppliers or other enablers that want to keep the moneytrain rolling at any cost.

Whatever adventures the pcs have all come with the added dangers of loan-sharks, spurned lovers, relatives and other characters that want the noble pc to take responsibility and come back home, while the rest of the pcs try to dodge, get rid off, deceive and generally avoid getting pinned down by.

I always do what you do, or a version of it, session one is always character making session where everyone sits down and brainstorms characters and how they fit together.

Letting people making up their characters alone, without input is how you end up with crazy player conflicts about tone and scope of play from the start, and get forced to resort to "you are all in a tavern..."

Other framing devices I've used are
>You have gotten to know each other during the siege of the walled city you are in, that's about to fall.
>You are the survivors of the same army after a major defeat
>Shipwrecked together
>Travelling companions on a long voyage taking you to place x
>School mates (including magic school that turned form hogwarts to mega dark 3 sessions in)
>You're all in wayside inn... when you realize that there's a monster prowling the woods around it (inspired by The Feast. Different characters have to cooperate and have conflicts in a high-pressure situation, super fun.)
>>
File: DerpHeresy.jpg (26KB, 250x324px) Image search: [Google]
DerpHeresy.jpg
26KB, 250x324px
>>50768055
>>
My go to (since most of my groups only want to play D&D) is to have the players be a part of a mercenary company/adventurer's guild and do odd jobs for them.

I only deviated from this when I did my Traveller campaign when the PCs were freelancers.
>>
>>50770227
Setting up a Bounty-Wagon (Doc-Wagon) corporation. The sites are multi-vehicle garage and holding-cell versions of the Ghostbusters building.
>>
>>50768055
>players start as a part of an organization
>they IMMEDIATELY decide that they will betray it
>for no reason whatsoever
>>
>>50768055

>I don't know how to actually entice people, so I railroad them from start to finish

FTFY.
>>
>>50775800
many players like the idea of building a character under a pre-given premise; then roleplaying it in any form they want. I find it better than "just make anything out of the book, find a crappy backstory so we can start"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.