[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 411
Thread images: 62

File: yennefer.jpg (75KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
yennefer.jpg
75KB, 736x736px
Latest News
Monk UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: >>50753185

What is the best adventure you've ever played in DnD?
>>
Reminder that you should read the 4E DMG and incorporate its ideas of FUN and engagement into your games.
>>
File: 1471313052308.jpg (189KB, 722x850px) Image search: [Google]
1471313052308.jpg
189KB, 722x850px
I'm working on integrating Kenku into my setting and am wondering what makes people like them.
The no creativity thing is interesting, but seems like it'd make them boring to roleplay as a PC since you will just sit in the backseat and follow the party all the time.
Mimicing is cool but doing only that makes it seem like it would just be gimmicky in play (do kenku players even adhere to it, or do they generally just speak like normal and it's assumed they communicate what they say via mimiced noises in the fiction?)
The rest is quite minor, but maybe being cursed by a greater being, wanting to regain the ability to fly etc. are wanted as well.
>>
>>50762544
I think Kenku is great for a NPC or DMPC travelling with the party.
>>
>>50762517
i could have prevented the first post to be about 4e

but i agree with you, being anal about rules or optimising DPR is great and all, but if you're not having fun you're doing the game wrong
>>
>>50762454
fifth for paladin UA tomorrow.
>>
>>50762572
Yeah they seem like really fun NPCs and enemy minions, but there are a lot of people who like playing them so since I want some kind of crow/raven people I'd like to carry that over as well if possible. I'll at least tone it down a bit so they can have their own ideas, maybe only the PC ones or something.
>>
Rolling a new character in our OotA game, deciding between a Goblin or Deep Gnome ranged Ranger. Which do you think is mechanically better?
>>
>>50762666

Nice satan trips my dude.

But you should go for the Deep Gnome.
>>
so what is everyone hoping for in the Paladin UA?
>>
I may be late to the party, but what does teegee think of the revised ranger class option?

I always thought that the RAW ranger was underpowered and underwhelming, but i'm worried that this revised class may be too much?

Anyone have experience running with it in their game?

http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
>>
>>50762544
The No creativity thing always bothered me, how can a creature with no creativity even function? How can it learn anything? like a fundamental part of development is creating solutions to problems posed, especially with the example of thevery, What does a kenku do if you just flap aroud like a jackass? Has it planned for it? Has it ever heard what to do in this situation, if not then the Kenku would surely just break because to have any response he would have to be creative.
>>
>>50762721
Anti-Fey Paladin
Superiority Die Paladin
Undead Paladin
>>
>>50762766
The general consensus seems to be that it's broken for multiclassing but a solid option on its own.
>>
File: 400px-Patches_the_Pirate_full.jpg (36KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Patches_the_Pirate_full.jpg
36KB, 400x533px
Have you guys ever tried mixing villain archetypes for shenanigans?

Patches the Pirate got me thinking and I remembered that PotC did do the Lich-Pirate thing right.
>>
>>50762822
this card is so broken
>>
>>50762766
It's good, gave me some cool ideas for both characters and setting fluff which a class should. It doesn't scale too well as it's too front-loaded, the beast should scale by ranger level and not overall level, but it's not OP I think. A level 3 deep stalker in an underdark game might be slightly, but again it evens out. Only issue is multiclassing, it's not as bad as the last ranger remake with ambuscade, but it's still frontloaded enough to make it too good of a multiclass option.
>>
>>50762766
It's a bit front-loaded but otherwise is a massive improvement. Easily fixed by moving some of the ribbons in Natural Explorer to 6th level where the PHB ranger could pick up another favored terrain.
>>
File: 1435799170891.png (79KB, 269x294px) Image search: [Google]
1435799170891.png
79KB, 269x294px
>>50762814
Is it broken because you can dip one level in to get advantage on initiative / people who haven't acted? Or am i missing something else?

>>50762850
Now that you mention it, it does seem pretty frontloaded...hmm

Well thanks guys, I'll definitely use it instead of the original option in my next game
>>
>>50762544
>>50762800
Don't forget that Volo wrote that book and he's a racist, exaggerating dumbass according to Elminster.
>>
>>50762822
I often toyed with the idea of undead gangsters in a mega-cijty setting but the ease with which a holy-based police order could deal with them seemed to solve the problem too easily.
>>
>>50762544
When I've had Kenku in the past I've had the 'no creativity' thing be part of the curse.
That is, they can have creative thoughts, but they're incapable of expressing them with the sole exception of if someone reads their mind.

That and I always presume that a Kenku's mimicry is only an obstacle in particular cases instead of more everyday things.
>>
>>50762666
Deep gnome might be better in OotA because of their superior darkvision, adv on saves against magic, and ability to blend into stone. It's probably the better choice

Goblin might have fun shanhooligan prospects with nimble escape, I imagine you running around the battlefield A LOT and generally being a bother, which is always fun.
>>
Level 5 Rogue about to hit 6. I'm wondering if I should dip into another class or just stay Rogue. I was thinking 1 in Fighter, or 2/3 in Bard or Ranger. Fighter and Ranger both give me a fighting style (I only have a +3 Dex so it could be helpful), martial weapons, a longbow, and access to shields. Bard gives me another skill and some great magical options like Faerie Fire, Disguise Self, Cure Wounds, and more.
>>
>>50762822
>>50762982
necromancer / lich mob bosses would be fun, I like the idea of the criminal underworld of the city being ruled by a family of powerful (and vaguely italian) necromancers who kill people that get in their way, resurrecting them so that they can join their cause in death
>>
>>50762905
yea, it's broken in multiclassing because UA is designed without it in mind

when/if it gets released officially it will be vastly different from it's current form
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools

Updated items.html to display cost, weight, and damage with properties.
>>
>>50763148
When you play rogue, do you often rely on your magic more or your martial abilities?

It sounds like how YOU choose to play would have the most impact on your choice, so what sounds more up your characters alley?

That being said, 2 levels in ranger would also get you spells like hunters mark, fog cloud, and cure wounds. So that might be the best of both worlds?
>>
I don't know if it's been done, this way specifically, or how many times people have suggested it, but Saiyans.

And I'm not saying Super Saiyan shit should be the point of it, but more of the basic racial traits - drastic power increases the closer to death they get, both over time and in the moment.

I don't know how you'd stat them as a race. Probably +2 STR +1 WIS, and then a couple traits relating to the battle damage thing.

+1 to Hit and Damage when under x hp, maybe going further to +2 or +3 with even lower hp, or having it scale with level in some way.

With the other factor of drastic power increases the closer to death they come, really, an experience boost would make the most sense, +x% correlating to y% of HP lost upon gaining exp on a kill or something, but that wouldn't be a very great trait when looking at the way some DMs dole out exp.

If you want Super Saiyan shit, it should just be a race-restricted Archetype for Monks. A bit like Battlerager for Barbarians in the SCAG. A question of how many tiers there would be comes up, but going SSj3 and 4 or God or Blue or whatever seems a bit much, unless you're going even further beyond level 20. Get it?
>>
>>50763180
Good to know, none of my players are mechanically minded, and I doubt any of them would ever think seriously about multiclassing, so I doubt that will be a problem for me
>>
>>50763148
as a rogue that just hit thief 7, level 6 kind of sucks, i mean more expertise is nice, but not like... super awesome. getting evasion at 7 is really sweet though. makes you really tough and hard to hit.
>>
>>50762721
Oath of Seeking - knights focused on recovering relics (a la Arthur's knights searching for the holy grail).
Oath of Safeguarding - a wilderness knight that protects civilization from monsters. Can smite with a bow??!!?!?!
Oath of the Templar - a knight who guards mage towers/sacred locations. Has some wizard spells and advantages against spellcasters.
>>
>>50762021
>high level adventure where you go into the Nine Hells and kick some devil ass
I'd really REALLY love that. I currently have plans to extend Tyranny of Dragons all the way to level 20 by having the party plunge into the Nine Hells to destroy Tiamat once and for all.
>>
>>50763213
It's been done, and like all shit ideas it was done by dandwiki.
>>
>>50763217
you should tell them upfront no multiclassing with it, just incase they see how good only 1 level is. just in case

>>50763220
>a wilderness knight
kinda like oath of ancients?
but the idea of a ranged paladin would be cool
>>
>>50763152
"Nice ancestral graveyard you got there. Sure would be a shame if someone were to cast Animate Dead in it."

>>50763213
If you want to keep it both balanced and sort of true to DBZ """lore""", they should receive temporary combat bonuses if they come back from 0 hp. Permanent bonuses would break the game.
Also, wisdom makes no sense. Saiyans are dumbasses. They should have str and dex.
>>
>>50763229
sounds rad
>>
>>50763291
Good point about the coming back from 0 HP. Probably just another +1.

I figured Wis would be a fine second stat because it's not like they don't use energy attacks at all, so they must have some magical ability in a D&D sense. Maybe Charisma would make more sense for that.
>>
>>50761489
yeeeah idk, magical dodge sounds nifty though.

Wouldnt using your action to give an ally dodge be OP for a cantrip?
>>
>>50763213
Is his neck alright?!
>>
>>50763279
Oath of the Ancients isn't exactly a wilderness knight. He has powers over nature because of the fey theme, but he doesn't necessarily have survival skills.

>>50763335
Nah, Saiyans don't really have any more "magic" attacks than humans. In fact, in Xenoverse humans have stronger ki than saiyans.
>>
I posted this in another thread but it's not getting traction, thought I'd post here too:
I like D&D but I can't keep track of the mechanics. Even shit like rolling initiative I look at my notes every goddamn time.

My group must think I'm a fucking idiot.

Are there flash cards or something that I can use?
>>
>>50763391
Hope this helps
>>
File: DM Screen.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
DM Screen.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50763391
>>
Guy (or at least, one of the guys) who was looking at moving from 4th to 5th here.

Some of the things I hear and see are good, but it concerns me that a lot of people still are talking about martials being boring and less useful.

1) What could I pull in from 4th, or from Tome of Battle or anywhere else really, to help keep players moving through at least basic options?

2) Martials don't need to be AS flexible as casters out of combat, but they shouldn't be sitting around waiting for the casters to solve problems so they can hit things in the face. Is this a problem in 5th, and if so, what can I do to make it less of one?
>>
>>50763373
>Nah, Saiyans don't really have any more "magic" attacks than humans. In fact, in Xenoverse humans have stronger ki than saiyans.
I suppose, looking at Xenoverse at least, but I don't want to go and base too much off that alone. Maybe a subrace thing with one being a little more Ki-oriented over another, but that's thinking too much.
>>
>>50763460
Xenoverse is canon. Akira Toriyama wrote the story. You can safely assume anything in it is official DBZ lore.

The reason saiyans use more energy attacks in the show is because they're more integrated into the galactic martial arts military society (that looks a lot dumber on paper than it did in my head, but that's DBZ for ya). Humans who train to use their ki are typically very adept at it. Videl, who has no particular advantage, learned to use ki to fly in a manner of days. In fact, all this is why half-saiyans can become super saiyans so fucking easily.

If saiyans want ki powers, they can pick the monk class like everyone else. There's no reason for them to have an advantage in the mystical aspects of the class, though. But since they ARE faster and stronger than humans, they should get bonuses to physical stats. Not constitution, though. You WANT to go down in battle.
>>
>>50763542
>Videl, who has no particular advantage, learned to use ki to fly in a manner of days. In fact, all this is why half-saiyans can become super saiyans so fucking easily.
Alright, that sold me. You have a point, I see it. Make the race physical and if I want to go through with the race-restricted Archetype for Monk, do that later. Alright.

The other question is guess is if I want to bother with the tail and Great Ape.
>>
File: Firbolg-5e.jpg (285KB, 834x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Firbolg-5e.jpg
285KB, 834x1280px
Does anyone have pictures of Firbolgs in the 5e style other than pic related? Everything else is just ginger forest giants, but I want more of this blue skinned, elfy looking Firbolg.
>>
>>50763213
>+2 Str +1 Wis
More like +20 Str. A mere saiyan, an average as fuck one is immune to bullets even as a kid, can destroy armored vehicles with his bare hands and at full moon 4 of low level ones could take a planet like Earth
>>
File: firbolgs.jpg (207KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
firbolgs.jpg
207KB, 1536x864px
>>50763661
There's this concept art, but there's not much in the way of art for them since 5e's firbolgs are a new rendition of them.
>>
>>50763412
Thank you!

Going to print these out, laminate them, and memorize the fuck out of them like the autist i am.
>>
>>50763661
Nice tumblr nose.
>>
Is there a "best" generation for stat generation and if so what is it?
I know of point buy, 3d6 (in order or assigned), and 4d6 drop lowest (in order or assigned) but is there anything else? Also where should picking stats be in terms of making a character?
>>
File: 1449473506361.jpg (66KB, 628x662px) Image search: [Google]
1449473506361.jpg
66KB, 628x662px
>>50763701
We have to talk balanced like though if we want to have fun. Unless you have fun breaking things entirely, in which case, we can do that too.

Partly why I don't feel like talking about tails or Great Apes, because being able to turn into a giant is only debate ably fun. Could be interesting if fighting an actual Giant though.

Also, I don't know where you get the idea that Saiyans are immune to guns.
>>
>>50763755
Arrays are pretty good honestly. The one where everyone has one 8 and one 16 has always been appealing to me.
>>
>>50763769
In DB red ribbon army fired at Goku and bullets only annoyed him.

Also DB Super is shit.
>>
>>50763755
I'm partial to 3d6 and 4d6 drop lowest assigned.
Point Buy always results in everyone having at least one 8 and one as high as they can go. Rolling adds an element of random, but it really sucks if you get a 3 or 4.
>>
File: RPG does nothing on Goku.jpg (180KB, 800x1203px) Image search: [Google]
RPG does nothing on Goku.jpg
180KB, 800x1203px
>>50763769
>>
>>50763721
Thank you, this helps. Hopefully more art will come out as 5e gets older.

>>50763743
What?
>>
File: Bullets only annoy him.jpg (75KB, 750x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Bullets only annoy him.jpg
75KB, 750x1125px
>>50763799
>>
>>50763772
I like this too.
Because it means you will satisfy the min-maxer, and the person who likes to match their character flaws to their worst stats.

And if someone wants they can have an 18 starting, which basically ensures they will get to choose at least 1 feat.
>>
>>50763790
The default method is Elite Array which is one stat at highest possible (15) and one at lowest possible (8) and the rest is 14, 13, 12, 10.
>>
>>50763755
flip 8 coins for each stat
heads = 2
tails = 1
>>
File: 1046486-db01_03_18s.jpg (143KB, 687x1058px) Image search: [Google]
1046486-db01_03_18s.jpg
143KB, 687x1058px
>>50763815
And we are talking about a saiyan kid of average low power
>>
>>50763755
If rolling for stats, ignore the order in the book. Roll for stats as early as possible, as it can really fuck over your possibilities.

>>50763790
If you want an element of random, it should be in order rather than assigned. Everyone is likely to put high stats in con and dex, dump int/str and then boost up their main stat(s). That's not variation, that's just some characters rolling higher numbers than other characters.
>>
>>50763229
>Zariel appears as an angel whose once-beautiful skin and wings have been ruined by fire. Her eyes burn with a furious white light that can cause creatures looking upon her to burst into flame.
I can't wait for official stats of all the Archdevils.
>>
>>50763845
How does an array with a 16 look?
>>
File: 1 bullet 1 dead.jpg (193KB, 800x1203px) Image search: [Google]
1 bullet 1 dead.jpg
193KB, 800x1203px
>>50763887
>>
Who is the most bro god in 5e? I need someone to worship and the campaign I'm doing might possibly involve them heavily.

>Chaotic neutral dragon sorcerer with focus on burning shit
>>
>>50763785
Also a laser bounced off of Krillin in the going to namek filler.
>>
>>50763936
Thard Harr
>>
>>50763936
you could either homebrew or your character could horribly misunderstand a certain god's teachings and values
>>
>>50763812
I was mostly memeing. Tumblr nose is that consistently recurring art style used by sjw where they draw regular peoples' noses red in a similar way to that because it makes them "more realistic".
>>
File: 2016-12-18.png (833KB, 568x582px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-18.png
833KB, 568x582px
My newest character, any fun ideas for a Bearkin Pirate Captain? The class is Barbarian. (Barbearian huehuehuuheuh)
>>
>>50762800
Because they're perfect imitators, and would be able to share learned behaviors with one another
>>
>>50764001
A fun idea would be not to play it. I kid, I kid. As a finisher your character can keelhaul their enemies.
>>
>tfw the party finally wonders if they're the bad guys
>midway through planning on killing a mostly innocent man and kidnapping his children, then indoctrinating them into an apocalypse cult
>>
>>50764064
Or how about they hurl members of their crew during combat as heavy thrown weapons.
>>
>>50763460, >>50763542
In addition, ki is apparently directly linked to brute strength (literally the only kind of training anyone does is strength and muscle training), but they also use it fairly crudely and just rely on dumps by a lot of pure force on people.
Saiya-jin are extremely strong and fast but have no finesse or technique, relying on brute force and raw experience via trial and error, while more complex techniques like the Kamehameha are catch them completely by surprise.

So Saiyans have more to WORK with but on average they actually use it a lot less efficiently then a trained human would.
>>
where is the paladin leak
>>
>>50764001
make a list of pirate phrases/terms and make sure to use them as often as possible
>>
>>50764096
This is an underrated post
>>
File: IMG_3645.jpg (22KB, 258x263px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3645.jpg
22KB, 258x263px
>>50763661, >>50763721
2e Firbolgs looked quite a bit different.
>>
>>50764075
Mean, my party wonders if they're the bad guys after we Gulliver a fire giant as to why he and his buddies are setting all these towns on fire, then execute him
>boy that was pretty mean of us to just captive bolt that guy in the face after getting all that info
>are... are we the baddies
>>
>>50764091
>So Saiyans have more to WORK with but on average they actually use it a lot less efficiently then a trained human would.
So how would you translate this concept to D&D?
>>
I had an idea for a class recently, but I'm not sure what all would go into it. My idea, the painter, would spend time outside of battle drawing shit that can be summoned from the pictures to fight for you. Of course, larger creatures would be harder to draw and would have a higher dc. I'm really not sure if this has even been done, but I think it sounds fun as shit
>>
>>50763790
I love 4d6drop lowest in order. Cant wait to do that for my next character and just give him super simple motivations to start out with.

I'm making a list of personality traits tied to the stats that i find the most interesting to roleplay.

For instance, Constitution is used for Concentration checks. So I thought it would be cool if my character had low Con he'd be really easily distracted and unfocused because i think that is fun to roleplay. On he inverse, i find Hearty and Jovial characters fun to roleplay and i think a High Con character has that inner energy for that.

Just rolled
16 - High Str - Forceful
10 - Med Dex
12 - Med Con
15 - High Int - Technical
7 - Low Wis - Oblivious
10 - Med Cha

So he's got a forceful personality, is technical, but oblivious.
Naturally I think he fits well into the Noble background. Very commanding, and knows all the shit about feudalism, heraldry, strategy, etc etc very technical. Doesn't know how to interact with people because he's lived a sheltered life and alot of idioms and slang go over his head.

A noble who left home with his retainers to go adventuring. The path of least resistance imo would be for him to be going on an adventure to prove his capabilities be chosen as the next heir to the kingdom. He's part of a set of triplets so they don't know who gets to be the next ruler simply by age.

Probably pick Fighter or Wizard. Eldritch Knight or Abjurer. I want to go wizard cause it seems less commonplace that a Prince who left home to prove himself worthy of the throne would be a wizard. Moreso cliche for him to be a Knight and be the "Prince Charming" type.

Half Orc tribal Monarchy might be interesting. Lord of the Clans.
I think Dwarf or Human work well too because of their expected systems of government being a monarchy.
Dwarf probably works best due to being oblivious to things around him. Everything goes over his head lol. Can't get much more sheltered than living under a mountain.
>>
>>50764075
I once had a player burn down an orphanage based on a second hand anecdote one of their friends gave about Necromancy that they heard from their father. This friend was an evil aligned warlock and they knew it at the time.

Players are monsters, Jack.
>>
>>50764001
>>50764086
Or your character cannot properly steer the ship's wheel with their massive bear claws, so their ship has a custom, massive steering wheel. -which is also used as a breaking wheel for captured enemy pirates.

Bear captain is known for taking enemy prisoners, breaking them on the steering wheel, then tossin' them overboard, still alive.

Yikes- that's pretty... wait for it...
grizzly.
>>
File: 20DIw1482018033.jpg (82KB, 359x470px) Image search: [Google]
20DIw1482018033.jpg
82KB, 359x470px
Fun lil quote from my last session
>>
File: motorvated.png (245KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
motorvated.png
245KB, 500x419px
>>50764127
This is cute and a pretty good method idea. People should take notes.
>>
>>50764124
There was a homebrew class a bit like it, think it was on reddit or something (it was quite bad). The main problem is that your resource is downtime which isn't the case for anyone else, also doing a check to see if you can summon it is questionable. It would be better to base it on spell progression or just druid wild shape, something like that. The last problem is that introducing additional combatants doesn't work well in 5e, so any summon class or necromancer or beast master is going to suffer from that, or rather their parties will suffer as they take much longer every turn.
>>
File: Vaeris-Tracking.jpg (46KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
Vaeris-Tracking.jpg
46KB, 736x552px
In the next adventure I run for my players it is likely that they will be trying to track down an escaped were-rat. He will have a good head start.

Any suggestions for how to run this? Interesting things to include? I'd like to see this be an interesting part of the session, maybe even most of a session, rather than just one throw of the dice for a tracking skill.

The characters are mostly all out doors types, druids/rangers etc. So I'd really like for this to be something special rather than just one throw of the dice (or two).

Any help? What can I do to make this cooler and more involved?
>>
>>50764188
Skill challenge might spice it up without making it into a railroaded trip in the wilderness with set up encounters etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvOeqDpkBm8
>>
>>50763213
I would go with something like this:
Saiyan 5e
30' speed
Medium
Ape-like abilities
Gain a tail which counts as a separate hand and may be used as such
While exposed to direct light from a full-moon you gain the physical and mental statistics of a Giant Ape, and you are considered under the effects of a modified confusion spell for the entire transformation
Natural Strength
You add 1/2 your proficiency bonus to your strength, constitution, and dexterity scores
Natural Speed
You add 1/2 your proficiency bonus x5' to all of your move speeds
Natural Toughness
You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from non-magical weapons
Natural Weakness
If a creature succeeds on a grapple check against you, they may make an additional athletics check vs a DC of 10+your proficiency bonus, constitution and dexterity modifiers. If they succeed on this check they rip off your tail.
If a creature deals a critical hit to you which deals more than 10+your proficiency bonus, constitution and dexterity modifiers with a slashing weapon your tail is cut off. Your proficiency bonus for Natural Strength and Natural Speed is set to 2 for 2d4 weeks and you lose your Ape-like abilities racial trait for 2d4 months during which time your tail grows back.
What kills you makes you stronger
Whenever you are resurrected in your own body increase your effective proficiency bonus for Natural Speed and Natural Strength by 1

Ape Confusion
1 The creature spends its turn roaring.
2-6 The creature uses its action to make a melee attack against a randomly determined creature within its reach. If there is no creature within its sight, the creature spends its turn roaring.
7-8 The creature uses its action to throw a stone as a ranged attack against a randomly determined creature within its sight. If there is no creature within its sight, the creature spends its turn roaring.
9-10 The creature can act and move normally.
>>
>>50764168
I didn't really think of it being a check to summon, more a of a check to see how well you did drawing. Like if you rolled poorly, your creatures would all come out with some debuffs or something
>>
>>50764188
Multiple intersecting trails.
Quarry doubling back to attack/trick pursuers.
Layered tracks (deeper=older; the better your roll, the better you can determine this).
Have a were-rat NPC try to help (see:Betray) the party.
Ambushes.
Quarry heads through dangerous terrain in attempt to lose pursuers.
Bad weather on the horizon could mean these tracks will be useless tomorrow.
How do the animals of the area respond to the presence of a were-rat?
>>
>>50764188
Create a small map (like really small, 5x5 or something) and put small encounters, each effecting the roll they make upon entering the space you place the were-rat, these effects could be positive or negative depending on what the players encounter, maybe a family member of the Were-Rat deliberatly tries to throw the party off, or a Were wolf hunter is angrily walking out of the Were-Rat's den, willing to offer up the location of the beast for coin, that sorta thing, if you want to make things a bit more interesting have each encounter move with the party.
>>
>>50764258
Another interesting addition would be to change the size of the grid based upon a nature check, the higher the check the more you can isolate the Were-Rat.
>>
Hey 5eg, what do you think of these magic items? They'll be going to a party of 1st-2nd levels.

Dunwood Bracers -
The wearer receives the benefit of a guidance spell at the cost of 1 charge. 3 charges, regain 1d4-1 at dawn.

Sylvan Spear -
Javelin. When thrown after the command word is uttered, if it hits, the target is affected by ensnaring strike (save DC 12). After a succesful use, the javelin is not destroyed - it merely becomes mundane until the following dawn.

Winter’s Cloak -
The wearer of this cloak can cast Armor of Agythys once per day, with the amount of temporary hit points set at 7 and the duration unlimited. The cold damage is only 2 points.
>>
File: 1478585567437.png (446KB, 1280x959px) Image search: [Google]
1478585567437.png
446KB, 1280x959px
With the elves Trance ability, does their long rest only take 4 hours? That's how the rule seems to read but the group that I play with are very opposed to it, saying that a long rest MUST be 8 hours, and that elves only spend 4 hours of it "sleeping" and the rest of the time is spent doing the regular old light activity. Anyone else see the rules as I do here? Or am I wrong. iirc one of the designers even corrected this over twitter and he seems to side with the 8 hour long rest shit. A racial ability that only really equates to two hours less sleep seems kind of shitty IMO.
>>
>>50764100
wow underrated in 31 seconds huh
>>
>>50764298
No. A long rest is not sleeping. It is 8 hours of rest. Trance is a ribbon that is not meant to have any significant amount of impact, outside of elves being able to stay alert or read or what have you more during their long rest than humans.
>>
>>50764305
Hey man, I couldn't believe it either.
>>
>>50764165
Thanks! I used to start with Race or Class for coolness or mechanical stuff, but i enjoy roleplaying more than combat so i figured i should just reverse my process.

Though now i spend far too much time practicing character generation lol.
>>
>>50764188
There's no way a bunch of Rangers and Druids should fuck this up or be outpaced by a rat, since they've got oodles of magic and features that can speed them along, on top of the RP shit that should make them way better at tracking him down than he is at hiding.

So let them make better time. Let the party know that they're constantly gaining on this rat, and he's getting more and more desperate, and it shows in his tracks. The rat KNOWS he's going to lose a game of hide-and-seek, he KNOWS he's not going to fool the party by walking backwards, crossing rivers, or jumping from tree to tree. If he can't move faster than the party, there's only one thing to do:

Slow them down. Hit every fucking settlement or place of human habitation possible.
The rat goes to random farmlands and razes crops or sets the live free.
He bites poor farmchildren, necessitating they find a healer or succumb to lycanthropy or some other illness.
He heads into villages and poisons their wells.
He causes landslides on mountain pass switchbacks, blocking trade routes that the little hamlets rely upon.
The closer they get, the more dangerous outright malicious he becomes.

He becomes a shitty rat (bio)terrorist and anarchist looking to ruin anything he sees, whatever he can do relatively quickly to cause a mess that might make the party stop to sort out. This is Little Bad Evil Guy territory; if your party has a heart and you do this right, they will hate this ratfucker with the fury of a thousand suns and wrestle over whether it's worth leaving so many people to their suffering in order to (perhaps) catch up and stop him before he harms any more, or if true heroism involves giving evil pass after pass while you pick up the pieces behind it until you can eventually deal with it. regardless of what path they choose, watch them murder this fucker in the most brutal way possible then wonder if they did the right thing
>>
>>50763790
At what point, if any, should I start letting a player reroll his shit if all his stats are going low, like below 10?
>>50763880
This is actually really interesting and I think I might use it.
>>
>>50764286
Yeah sounds fine to me
>>
>>50764199

Thank you for introducing me to this guy's channel, this vid was great.
>>
>>50764127
You'd never get these sorts of stats if you did roll and assign, unless someone is gimping themself on purpose/has no clue what they're doing.
I like it.
>>
Why do wizards make CON saves for concentration against startling/debilitating shit. I understand it for damage as constitution is a combo of actual tankiness and pain tolerance but being spooked by something? You'd think that'd be wisdom, right?
>>
>>50764420
Possibly even strength to maintain posture against waves crashing.

However, making saves depending on the situation would overcomplicate it.
>>
>>50764420

I'd rule it like that desu
>>
>>50764420
Concentration occurs in the gut, not the mind.
>>
Not to familiar with this sub, what are some /tg approved DnD players? How do you guys feel about Acquisitions Incorporated?
>>
File: angry michael.jpg (5KB, 213x160px) Image search: [Google]
angry michael.jpg
5KB, 213x160px
>>50763213
>this shit again
>>
>>50764387
If they don't have a 14 IMO, not having 16 in your main stat is quite bad. My gm does rerolls if your modifiers equal out to +0 or lower but with 4d6d1 that's very unlikely and doesn't do much to remove bad characters.
>>
>>50764460
personally i love them, but i'm not sure the opinion of /tg/ in general
>>
Rolled 10 + 5 (1d20 + 5)

>>50764460
>sub
>/tg
[Insight] You're doing this on purpose
>>
>>50764460

My friends and I watch their pax thing every year. Their games look pretty fun desu.
>>
>>50764199
I like it but aren't there rules for chase sequences in the DMG?
>>
>>50764508
Yeah, I haven't used that myself but I've heard it's not that great.
>>
>>50764307

Huh. Would this mean that elves seem more well rested as a result then? Since a long rest is usually 6 hours of sleep supplemented with two hours of light activity. packing camp/ unpacking camp etc.

Seems like trance is just fluff rather than a game mechanic of any real usefulness.
>>
What's the most generally used way to pick stats? 27 point buy?
>>
>>50764199
>>50764405
fucking love Matt Colville. He knows whats important with D&D. Basically convinced me I should be a DM. He's my favorite Internet Person.
>>
>>50764538
They spend the other four hours brushing their hair.
>>
>>50764050
But that's the thing, if they can only imitate what they have seen how could they react to entirely new situations, like someone dancing about instead of giving over their money during robbery?
>>
>>50764542
yes
follow by an array
followed by the thing only Grognard wants
>>
>>50764566

What if my elf is bald?
>>
>>50764538
>one hour to set up / tear down
nigga my PC eats a whole smoked sausage, throws his tent onto the ground without setting it up or staking it or anything, jumps into a sleeping bag, then sackhops into the tent and lets the whole thing lay flat on him

takes two minutes and you can finish eating the sausage inside
>>
>>50764579
Eyebrow primping and mani/pedicuring
>>
>>50762666
trips have spoken, you gotta go Tiefling.
>>
>>50764589

I won't lie, I giggled at that.

Sometime in the far future when I actually DM a game, there may be an NPC, who to the bewilderment of the party, does this.
>>
File: 5.2e firbolg.jpg (20KB, 258x263px) Image search: [Google]
5.2e firbolg.jpg
20KB, 258x263px
>>50764105
Why whatever do you mean
>>
>>50764632
forgot the red nose
>>
>>50763982
Speaking as a dude who knows an artist who uses tumblr noses they're used because noses have really weird dynamics with perspective, so a lot of artists find it easier to designate an area as "the nose bit", it's certainly not done for realism.
>>
File: 5.2e firbolg.jpg (20KB, 258x263px) Image search: [Google]
5.2e firbolg.jpg
20KB, 258x263px
>>50764641
Fuck, my joke is ruined
>>
>>50764371
>>50764258
>>50764238
>>50764199

Good suggestions in here guys, I really appreciate it. I'll work on this some and then post what I come up with.

I'm thinking he will make for a 'den' that will connect to the near by human city.
>>
>>50764467
Hey man, Saiyans are a popular concept, perhaps the concept of Zenkai even more. Are you telling me you don't like Zenkai?
>>
>>50764589
>heroic long rests
>>
File: 5.3firgbolg.jpg (88KB, 400x511px) Image search: [Google]
5.3firgbolg.jpg
88KB, 400x511px
>>50764671
I'm kinda bored, does anyone care if i post 5e ified firbolgs?
>>
>>50764762
you should firbold-ify other races as well
>>
>>50764762
What even are firbolgs? I'm too lazy to read through all volo's guide right now.
>>
>>50764542
Honestly I find a lot of people roll stats.

However, I still hate 4d6 assign stats.
>>
>>50764791
Druidic nature-flavor giants. 7-8 feet tall, live in reclusive, tight-knit forest communities.
>>
File: I'm not a Halfling, honest!.png (126KB, 251x300px) Image search: [Google]
I'm not a Halfling, honest!.png
126KB, 251x300px
>>50764779
Good call.
>>
Pally UA when

What are you expecting

Im expecting a healy one, an Undead slaying one, and maybe like a kinda edgy one, like vengeance with more edge, thats like a divine assassin kind of thing
>>
>>50764845
isn't oathbreaker the ultimate edgy paladin?
>>
>>50762517
Because everyone know that using skill challenges as the tabletop equivalent of Quick Time Events so you can skip all that roleplaying nonsense is the epitome of fun and engagement.
>>
File: FirBolg Druid.jpg (20KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
FirBolg Druid.jpg
20KB, 259x195px
>>50764830
This one's pretty bad, sorry,
>>
>>50764117

+2 STR
+1 DEX
-1 INT
>>
>>50764802
How big are their dicks?
>>
>>50764991
the whole thing is the dick
>>
>>50764845
Anointed Knight
Deadgrim
Champion of Gwynharwyf
Avenger / Slayer of Domiel
>>
>>50764938
>he didn't read the 4e DMG
>>
>>50764991
5 + CON + 1d4
>>
>>50765031
Now how does that affect their charisma score?
>>
>>50765031
Reminder that for several hundred years, Dwarves ran around seducing or kidnapping human women to prop up the declining birthrate of their own species and the result of those unions is indistinguishable from any other Dwarf, except being slightly taller.

Dwarves are the masterdicks.
>>
>Saiyans in D&D
Satan is probably the 5th strongest human on Earth, that guy was beating the strongest warriors for 12 years in tenkaichy (from Gohan's birth to Cell games), that dude, who is in fact shit, is the 5th strongest human on Earth, I'll let you settle that.

Kid Goku, a saiyan from the lowest ranks, would obliterate him easily, Radiz, another low as fuck saiyan would do the same.

You can't play saiyans in 5e unless everybody except the party and the bbegs have 1 on all physical stats.
>>
>>50764845
Enlightened Paladin aka monk with armor, spells and smites.
>>
>>50765072
no bro +2 str saiyans
>>50765031
you mean con mod right? right?
>>
>>50764091
>ki is apparently directly linked to brute strength
No, this is not true. Chaiotzu is a capable ki user despite being completely worthless physically, as are several other characters.
The reason ki skill often goes hand-in-hand with physical power is because martial arts training traditionally involves meditation and training in ki use. When Z-fighters punch, it's not just muscles driving their fists. But someone can train entirely in physical arts and never learn anything about ki - Hercule, for example, is pretty damn strong for a human but has absolutely no skill in using ki.
>>
File: Pokey scared.png (119KB, 341x231px) Image search: [Google]
Pokey scared.png
119KB, 341x231px
>>50765031
that better mean CON mod.
>>
>>50765090
>>50765093
that's up to DM discretion
>>
File: FirBolg Barb.jpg (63KB, 362x640px) Image search: [Google]
FirBolg Barb.jpg
63KB, 362x640px
>>50764964
I think that's all i'll do.
>>
>>50763438
Is there a version of this pdf without the silly image on the last page?
>>
File: golgonocs.jpg (41KB, 412x440px) Image search: [Google]
golgonocs.jpg
41KB, 412x440px
>>50765101
Now this is FAPP
>>
>>50763743
so are firbolgs the new tumblr race?
bbf women, red nose, numale beards. its all there?
>>
File: Pokey Don't like it.png (75KB, 435x235px) Image search: [Google]
Pokey Don't like it.png
75KB, 435x235px
>>50765101
>>
>>50765072
That's just in the naughty Toriyamaverse, where the absolute madman had the insanity to do things like Great Ape increasing powerlevel by ten times, and things like Kaioken by anywhere from 2 to 20 times. The numbers just get bigger from there.

Ripping it straight off is impossible because of the drastic scale difference, but you can still use the concept in a more D&D way without the ridiculous power differences. I mean, Toriyama obviously never meant for the whole concept to be played in a game like this when he first thought of it.
>>
>>50765125
Half elves are the tumblr race.

Gnomes are the 4chan race.
>>
File: FirBolg.jpg (107KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
FirBolg.jpg
107KB, 736x736px
>>50765109
nyeh fug it
>>
>>50765101
also i like the implication that if you increase your CON it also increases penis length
>>
>>50765194
it does tho. if you're fat, and do cardio, thus increasing your con/stamina, your fat could reveal more dick you didn't know was under there
>>
>>50765194
>Max level barbarian firbolg
>wield your dick as a 2h weapon
>>
>>50765222
>heh, now it's time to take off my weighted training fat
>>
>>50765194
>Implying it doesn't
>>
>>50765222
>level 19 barbarian
>level up
>dick grows 2 inches

oh no
>>
>>50765231
>not even three feet
>two-handed
how floppy is your salami
>>
>>50765241
>Be mid-coitus
>Cleave interrupting villain
>Level up
>Grow two inches mid-coitus

oh yes
>>
File: Duregar.jpg (73KB, 609x595px) Image search: [Google]
Duregar.jpg
73KB, 609x595px
>>50765193
Bonus Duregar
>>
File: 1480905102390.jpg (280KB, 1920x1093px) Image search: [Google]
1480905102390.jpg
280KB, 1920x1093px
What do you think of these encumbrance rules:

Carrying half of max --> Encumbered
Carrying 80% of max --> heavily encumbered
Carrying over max --> heavily encumbered + 1 lvl of exhaustion for every 4 hours of travel
>>
>>50765241
i mean a wizard can alter self their dick into a 1d6 bludgeoning damage +1 weapon at level 3
>>
>>50765285
I think martials don't need you coming up with more rules to make their lives difficult and unfun
>>
>>50765296
warlock picking up the invocation to have a continuous dong weapon at 15th level
>>
>>50765313
I think if you had read the book, you'd know that my rules are more forgiving.
>>
I posted this in the last thread, but I stated my question rather poorly, so I'll ask again with more clarity.

I'm interested in playing a Sexton, so a low church orderly who does maintenance, grave digging, and mundane security for a Church.

How could I best get the "holy handyman" vibe in a build for this character? I'm not looking to go cleric or paladin, since I want to keep this guy pretty street level, I'm just wondering if there is a way to put in a bit of "can fix things and do repairs" into the crunch.
>>
>>50765285
i don't quite understand
the variant encumbrance rules are tougher than this, and i prefer those.
>>
Lets assume the rock has a density of 2500kg/m3 (average density of an Earth's rock)

Assuming Mutenroshi is around 1.65 m high, the volume of the boulder is (assuming cylindrical form) pi*R2H. Assuming the boulder is 4 times Mutenroshi both in height and diameter, the volume is 225.7m3. And the weight is 564250 kg or 564 tons and Goku moved it, literally impossible for even a 20th level char.

Stop trying to make saiyans on D&D.
>>
>>50765346
I think if you were a real man, you'd have thrown encumbrance rules of any stripe completely out the window
>>
>>50765397
And I forgot pic
>>
>>50765365
Ask your DM if you can start with the mending cantrip, fits the bill of a holy handyman perfectly, someone's ripped up the tapestry? Bill can fix it, the tombstone cracked during the night? Bill can fix it, if your DM's wary whittle him down to a 1/day casting

Alternativley get mending through Magic initiate.
>>
File: 1471993514185.jpg (310KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1471993514185.jpg
310KB, 900x1273px
>>50765365
mastermind perhaps. stay out of combat, help out the fighter, pick up a lot of interesting knowledge working in the crypts and stuff.
thats pretty much the behind the scenes non-magical class.
>>
>>50765397
you would only need a str score of 12,639 to push that
>>
>>50762454
Repeat after me:
Kobold inventors make for good adventures.
>>
>>50765454
I'd let any character with a Str of 18 or higher succeed on a DC 22.
>>
>>50764938
t. Someone who either didn't read or didn't understand the 4e dmg.
>>
>>50765015
>>50765490
And denial is a river in Egypt.
>>
What are some good D&D related/esque video games?
>>
>>50765397
Why are you so salty about Saiyans in D&D? The majority of your arguments aren't even good ones, being based on Toriyama rules rather than D&D ones.
>>
>>50765397
30 STR
Goliath
Potion of giant size
Enlarge person
Bull's strength
Totem barbarian level 6 feature (bear)
>>
>>50765015
>>50765490
Skimming over them it jusst seems like a series of checks with defined consequences and exp rewards.
>>
File: The Baba Yaga 2.jpg (411KB, 640x900px) Image search: [Google]
The Baba Yaga 2.jpg
411KB, 640x900px
My setting for all my campaigns is supposed to be low magic. Society is rife with inquisitions and witch hunters and magic itself is very strenuous to use (not to mention that only 1 in 500 people in my setting is born with magic ability). So far, not many people have played spellcasters and those that did were in campaigns where we never got past level 6. Now, I'm running a campaign in the setting that's looking like it will last until level 20, and I'm worrying. The easy solution is to just tell them that they're magic is extremely rare (which it is) and that they just happen to be a very special case, but this isn't fun.

I don't want to gut the spells either because magic is supposed to be a very powerful and dangerous art in this setting.

What I've done (and I think I got this from the DMG but I can't remember) is change the length of rests. A short rest now lasts 6-8 hours and a long rest consists of a full sleep and relaxed day, making up a roughly 24 hour period. The reasoning for this is that magic is very physically strenuous to harness and after using all your spell slots you need a full day just to decompress.

Is this a good system? They're in cities fairly frequently so it would only be a major hindrance in dungeons and the wild, which they don't come across that often. I think it adds a bit of a strategic challenge where you really have to make those spell slots count. Should I give them more spell slots to balance this or do you think it's fair for me to throw this hurdle at them.

Also, what other ways could you think of for me to further press on them that this is a low magic setting? Obviously flavor dialogue about how tired they get after casting spells, but what else?
>>
Any advice for running a large party (6 people)?
>>
Forever DM here, and starter to Dnd 5e. What is a good resource to learn about the forgotten realms? I want to run some adventures there before creating my own. I have the starting one from the starter set, can you guys recommend any other written adventures that would be good for a group new to dnd? I am definitely going to pick up the sword coast guide later.
>>
>>50765627
Neverwinter nights. It's on GoG
>>
>>50765710
I've played it, great game! I'm looking for something a bit more recent, perhaps more in the style of the Dragon Age series.
>>
>>50765701
in general? don't

>>50765703
sword coast adventurer's guide, or the forgotten realms wiki
>>
>>50765649
Sort of. It's mostly just a framework to make things more interesting than "can I roll persuade or something dm". I use them to great effect in 5e.

They only discourage roleplay of you make the retarded mistake of revealing that you are in a skill challenge
>>
>>50765725
I can't really drop any of them, we're a tightly knit gaming group.
>>
>>50765742
Ehhh, I get the diea but i think they'd be more suited to improv rather than active planning, bringing the players into a thematic mini-game would play better, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>50765482
Why be anything but a martial when you can just throw a 100 ton boulder at your enemies?
Heck, forget horses, we're doing transportation Flintstone style.
>>
>>50765627
The old TSR Dark Sun games.
>>
>>50765701
I've been a part of a group with 6 players and a dm, and I would never recommend it. Combat is slow and roleplaying is even slower. We'll often play on friday from 6:00pm to 1:00am and maybe get through a short rest's worth of content, and the dm always overplans.

Half the players also can't stay focused and are often on their phones and talk about random shit that isn't dnd while playing, which is why roleplaying takes such a long time. Our party never gets anything done during a session because of it.
>>
>>50765627
Kotor 2 is ran on a very dnd like system.

Iirc planescape torment and baldurs gate 1 and 2 are exactly dnd, and take place in the official setting. Same for Icewind Dale.

For a treatise on worldbuilding play Morrowind. It isn't dnd, but it will improve your dnd dming.
>>
>>50765649
You're not supposed to be reading the rules sections. 4E gave a lot of good descriptions of players and playstyles and how to cater to them. It taught the RP and storytelling aspect of D&D, not the "how do you translate this thing you want to do into numbers and roll for them".
>>
>>50765701
6 Isn't that big. I've DM'd a party of 8 before. During downtime go around the table in clockwise order and ask each of them what they do for the hour. It'll take a while but give everyone the chance to get some RPing in. As for combat there isn't much to be done, but try to make your turns as DM be as short as possible and pay close attention when other people are talking during combat.
>>
File: thehelperandhishero.jpg (538KB, 1118x803px) Image search: [Google]
thehelperandhishero.jpg
538KB, 1118x803px
>>50765779
Now you're getting it.
Heroic fantasy ahoy, fuckers!
>>
>>50765721

I don't think D&D really has anything like that yet. D&D games tend to be CRPG styled, so you should look into Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (old), planescape torment (old), Pillars of Eternity (new), Numenara: Tides of Torment (new, unreleased), or Divinity: Original Sin (new)

I'd kill for a more open world D&D game but it hasn't happened yet, likely because of skittishness on Wizards' part.
>>
>>50765773
In my experience minigames, if using obviously different mechanics than normal tend to do two things: take the players out of the game, and make them feel like they dint know the rules.

Skill challenges don't do that, because the rules are largely the same, and also nobody knows they're in one if done properly.
>>
>>50765427
>>50765430
Thanks bros, perhaps I could ask the GM to sub the Thief's Cant for Mend but instead of being instantaneous it takes an appropriate amount of time (this tapestry will take an hour, this lady's broken spoon will take fifteen minutes).

Alternatively, the suggestion of Magic Initiate is good to get Mend, with Cure Wound and Spare the Dying tossed as "learned first aid from the priest."

I'm thinking of doing Rogue(Thief) for the climbing abilities (great way to get on a roof to fix a shingle... or do adventuring) and various other perks.

Since you guys are bros, what should a shovel's stat be?
>>
>>50765866
just refluff whatever weapon you want, DM willing
>>
>>50765647
Saiyan
+4 strength
powerful build
resistance to non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
something something if you grab the tail that all goes out the window
>>
>>50765866
Also, I will be doing the Acolyte background package for those sweet Religion knowledge skills and Church perks.
>>
>>50765686
>I don't want to gut the spells either because magic is supposed to be a very powerful and dangerous art in this setting.
This is not D&D. You can do low magic, and 5e is pretty good for it with the caster limitations (I'd still recommend to not allow full casters except Warlock and to play mostly low level), but you should really use Shadowrun, Lamentations of the Flame Princess or something like that if you want the magic to be dangerous. Drain in SR is literally the casters being mentally fatigued every time they cast and they suffer disadvantages to everything if they cast enough spells.

As for longer rests, it just drags things out I think. If you will be having more combats per long/short rest then that is the real change, not how long it takes to rest in the fiction. It changes things but not in a huge way in terms of player mentality I think. For more combats per rest, the system is balanced around 6-8 combats with 2 short rests per long rest I think so just follow that and it'll be fine balance-wise.
>>
>>50765866
>Since you guys are bros, what should a shovel's stat be?
i want to say war pick, but then you lose out on finesse, which i guess you'll lose out on anyway by using a non-piercing or slashing weapon.
unless.... you had a sharp and or pointy shovel.
>>
>>50765895
Wew

Saiyan
+2 str, +1 dex
Proficient in intimidation
Whenever you are reduced to 0 hit points, your str, dex, and con increase by 2. This goes away after one hour and does not stack with itself.
>>
>>50765919
I wouldn't run it as my main weapon, but if a Sexton has his trusty grave digger's shovel with him at all times, I'd want to know what the stats are.

Although I'd argue it'd be a 1d4 or 1d6 bludgeoning weapon, not a piercing one, since it's for smacking people around.
>>
Is there anywhere I can get the pdfs of thse map packs from previous editions? I was looking for 4e's Haunted Temples Map Pack and am poor as fuck.
>>
File: TACTICAL SHOVEL.jpg (177KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
TACTICAL SHOVEL.jpg
177KB, 1000x1000px
>>50765866
>what should a shovel's stat be?
I sharpened the side of a shovel while waiting for several minutes in the branches of a tree as a giant slowly lumbered over so I could hop onto its shoulder and cut the net full of people it was carrying.

1d6 bludgeoning or slashing, depending on if you're whacking or chopping.
>>
>>50766062
Tactical shovels: 1d6 slashing (it's a handaxe)
Full shovels: 1d8 bludgeoning, two-handed (it's a greatclub)
>>
>>50766101
I was going to say "slashing quarterstaff" but it looks like you beat me to it.
>>
File: DungeonMeshi Slime Anatomy.png (218KB, 1514x704px) Image search: [Google]
DungeonMeshi Slime Anatomy.png
218KB, 1514x704px
How well do you guys, dungeon masters, know the monsters you use during combat?
>>
>>50765997
i'd just say its a dagger then, to be honest. or a short sword.
>>
>>50766174
Enough to know that picture's a crock of shit
>>
>>50766157
Honestly, if you're a churchguy in a graveyard, you want the bludgeoning option because skellingtons are vulnerable to that, but there's no basic undead type that's vulnerable to slashing or resistant bludgeoning.
>>
File: 2016-12-18 (1).png (117KB, 574x782px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-18 (1).png
117KB, 574x782px
Rate my autisticly long backstory for my new Half-Elf Wizard
(1/3)
>>
>>50766219
>it's southern counterpart
>>
>>50766219
but why though?
>>
File: 2016-12-18 (2).png (117KB, 576x786px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-18 (2).png
117KB, 576x786px
(2/3)
>>
>>50766219
>>50766239
tl;dr LOLOLOLOLOLOL
>>
File: 2016-12-18 (4).png (10KB, 622x162px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-18 (4).png
10KB, 622x162px
>>50766237
I just wanted some thoughts on it?
(3/3)
>>
>>50762766
Mostly it's about beast ranger getting a quasi fighter minion.

Hunter is fine and the only path I allow for multiclassing.

Deep stalker is still broken with extra turns and loaded features.
>>
>>50766255
1. i'm not gonna read all that
2. tl;dr please
>>
>>50766219
>>50766239
>>50766255
try paragraphs
>>
>>50763213
>lvl 11 sayan long death monk
>>
>>50766311
Thanks for your feedback
>>
>>50766219
>>50766239
>>50766255
Shorten it to like 3 sentences.
>>
>>50763755
How to create a character in my table
Step 1 choose your class
Step 2 roll 4d6 drop lowest, assign the result in order
Step 3 Choose between substracting 2 points from a stat to add 1 in another as much as you want OR Switch the points between two stats one time only
>>
Starting the Dragon queen remade adventure tomorrow, thinking of playing a kenku rogue. Backstory is that he left his flock in exchange for the promise of flight for his flock. He works for the government that made the flight promise, as an inquisitor/investigator. Will be andventuring under governmental orders to investigate the Dragon cult. Any thoughts? Still WIP
>>
>>50766366
Rolling in order and swapping once is the most based stat generation method.

>>50766281
>>50766350
From skimming the text briefly: edgy broody pretty boy is awesome but messed up and now he's a murderhobo.
>>
>>50766366
>Choose between substracting 2 points from a stat to add 1 in another
The average is 12.9 so most will have 18+ in their main stat without racial modifiers. It just encourages dumping stats and predictable stat arrays, which is what both rolling for stats and rolling in order are supposed to work against.
>>
>>50766101
Full shovel, too much crunch edition
1d4 slashing
1d6 bludgeoning
1d8 bludgeoning, two handed
>>
File: firbolged.jpg (137KB, 400x850px) Image search: [Google]
firbolged.jpg
137KB, 400x850px
diff anon but heres a new one for y'all
>>
File: proofreading.png (402KB, 740x453px) Image search: [Google]
proofreading.png
402KB, 740x453px
>>50766219
nigga i got like a fifth of the way in before i realized this was going to take up too much of my night and ain't no one paying me for my services
>>
>>50766366
how to create a character at a normal persons table
step 1. pick whatever race/class you want that isnt some gay special snowflake faggot fairy shit
step 2. standard array allocate where you want
>>
>>50766460
I'm not the asshole in this situation
>>
>>50766447
Are we witnessing the birth of the next Bugbearmont meme
>>
>>50766481
proof read nigger
>>
>>50766499
Okay half of your corrections are just changing tense, which isn't up to you, because I fucking wrote it faggot.
>>
>>50766501
>>50766499
gentlemen, gentlemen, can we just both agree that no one is going to read 3000 words of unedited paragraphless pngs?
>>
>>50766501
those aren't my corrections
two people think you need to fix your shit before asking for help
cuz you do lamo
>>
does anyone have a good like... "more involved familiars" homebrew?
>>
>>50766526
use more things from the books
like boggles
>>
>>50766508
I can agree with this, I was asking for help as far as content, not writing style. If you don't want to help with content, thats totally fine but don't talk about writing style/grammar because I don't fuckin care.
>>
File: englishmastar.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
englishmastar.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>50766501
two different people but i could see how you got confused since we both said nigga/er
>using a word twice in the same sentence
>grammar and punctuation errors all over
>not spelling out numbers below 10
>awkward sentences
>plot incongruity
>no paragraphs
i went to school for this shit
>>
File: 1481930575686.jpg (55KB, 575x383px) Image search: [Google]
1481930575686.jpg
55KB, 575x383px
>>50766540
>doesn't care about writing style or grammar
literally kill yourself
>>
File: english literary analysis.jpg (281KB, 1200x802px) Image search: [Google]
english literary analysis.jpg
281KB, 1200x802px
>>50766540
oh honey baby child, the content analysis would be even more savage than a proofreading
>>
>>50766540
You're missing the point. It's valid to only want feedback on content, but people aren't likely to read something that's poorly-formatted.
Just putting it in paragraphs will make people 69% more likely to read it and give you content feedback.
>>
>>50766526
Play a Sha'ir
Family genie as a familiar
Cast all your spells after he steals them from another dimension
>>
>>50766547
I do care about it when pertinent but it's a fucking BACKSTORY for fucking DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.
>>
>>50766540
fuck you fag I'll talk about what I want and you can't stop me
do better at ignoring if that's what you're actually gonna do
>>
We're starting Storm King's Thunder and enjoy having thematically appropriate characters, what would you guys recommend?
>>
File: firbolgbearmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
firbolgbearmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>50766496
WE ARE NOW
>>
>>50766580
its not about that, its about having strangers read it.
>>
>>50766627
What do you even mean?
>>
>>50766539
yeah but i miss when familiars could power up and do stuff, like in muh 3.5. not trying to stat an edition war, just wondering if anyone has made an expanded familiars homebrew. i tried googling but couldnt find anything good.
>>50766573
this is probably what it will have to be for balance reasons i guess.
>>
File: 66B.jpg (43KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
66B.jpg
43KB, 564x564px
>>50766634
see >>50766569
>>
File: ravenfamiliargirl.jpg (209KB, 640x850px) Image search: [Google]
ravenfamiliargirl.jpg
209KB, 640x850px
>>50766580
>not caring about writing style
>in your DND background
k i l l y o u r s e l f
if you expect people to proofread your garbage, make sure it's actually legible, having proper grammar and not being a fucking monkey about word choice is a part of that
>>
>>50766653
LITERALLY WHEN did I ask anyone to proofread it?
>>50766648
I will admit this is a valid point.
>>
So what's the best tool for map making? Strategic, operational, or tactical. On the fly or pre-planned. Best for any one of em or multiple.

I'm asking because i'm still deciding how much I should go between theatre of mind and maps. I definitely want maps for most of combat so that players don't feel constrained in their tactical options. And just how to implement them.
>>
>>50766662
look mang, i read some of it. its hard to follow because of the formatting is the honest truth. you're getting the full on brigade right now, which sucks, but c'est la vie i guess.
it was also hard to follow all the names, but idk if the formatting was better it might be easier.
i'm glad you put that much thought into your character, because its rare in my group.
>>
>>50766691
Unless you have artistic talent with something like GIMP or Photoshop, just give up. All the map makers suck for a variety of reasons. Poor documentation, clunky interfaces, lack of (matching) assets, commercial licenses, etc.

There's no winning.
>>
>>50766694
Thanks man. I appreciate you reading it, and yeah idk I wasn't trying to get into a flame war about it.
>>
File: FirbolgAxe+Warlock.png (122KB, 256x288px) Image search: [Google]
FirbolgAxe+Warlock.png
122KB, 256x288px
>>50766496
Sure hope so
>>
does anyone know a way to boost base speed other than barbarian/monk/mobile/longstrider?
>>
>>50766727
>A FIRGLODI?
>>
>>50766733
Haste, magical items
>>
>>50766599

Adventurers of Ancient Ruins/seekers of ancient power

I-Fucking-Hate-Giants McMurderpants

Law applies to all creatures
>>
>>50766747
Fits pretty well desu
>>
File: 20161203223907_1.jpg (385KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161203223907_1.jpg
385KB, 1920x1080px
>>50766599
D W A R V E S
>>
>>50766751
I know about haste. I want to boost my base speed so I can get more out of haste.
>>
>>50766779
Play a Tabaxi. There aren't many options to increase speed
>>
>>50766733
L6 Transmuter Wizards can make a Transmuter's Stone which grants +10 speed while it's on your person.
>>
>>50766771
You forgot disruptor >>50766727
>>
>>50766779
The Fly spell gives you 60ft of movement, if you have more than one spellcaster in your party.
>>
>>50766733
tabaxi or wood elf
>>
>>50766733

Transmuter's philospher stone (not a great use of it but eh)

Tabaxxi racial

Bladesinger

Haste

Expeditious Retreat

Fly
>>
Rate this bait
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/races.html

Races list done (obviously will have more improvements). One of the easier ones.

Next will probably be backgrounds, as those are also simple. Classes is going to be the tough one.
>>
>>50766842
I'm no fan of Racial Skill Profs, they're just pigeon holing stereotypes and I do away with them whenever I can.

Full Throttle requires too much math, and no abilities should affect EXP.
>>
>>50766845
Handy
>>
>>50766842
lamé
>>
>>50766720
I read through it too and it's not the worst I've read. I wouldn't recommend using so much actual dialogue - the quote from the mother and maybe the old mentor guy is enough; the rest can be paraphrased.

You could easily cut that down to about 4-6 paragraphs (king-mother encounter/war backstory, childhood, experiences at new home, brother's birth and PC reaction, tie up with final murder and fleeing); at the very least you ought to attempt to split up some chunks of it. Also as factually fleshed out as the backstory is, there could stand to be a bit more info about the PC's motivations. Right now it just reads like a power-hungry murderhobo, which is fine if that's what you were going for.
>>
>>50766863
>I'm no fan of Racial Skill Profs, they're just pigeon holing stereotypes and I do away with them whenever I can.
What about the Dwarven and Elven Weapon Training?

Full Throttle could drop the staged bonuses based on HP for Advantage to hit and Disadvantage for attackers to hit the target at crtically low HP, but the Disadvantage bit might be too strong at lower levels... not that potential +4 AC isn't though, I guess.

Why shouldn't anything affect EXP? In my experience we don't actually keep track of numbers anyway, the DM always just tells us when to level up.
>>
Party in Storm King's Thunder.
Party travels to Bargewright Inn for passage downriver to Waterdeep, assuming they will find a barge there just on the name.
Que the wonderful Chapter 3, and the Womford Bat- a vampire prowling Womford and homes itself Bargewright Inn.
I'm hyped, because I've been wanting to run a prowling Vampire scenario as a DM for quite some time.
Also, the Zhentarim connections are great because I have more Zhent connections to run at Waterdeep.

Looking for any additional ideas/material you have on a good 5e secret prowling vampire setup to help me sell an excellent session.
>>
>>50766845
The Rock Gnome's abilities are missing. Are you not including the UAs?

Nice work, though, very handy.
>>
>>50766842
>Natural Brawler
Seems a little too much for me, but at least make it so if they do choose to be a monk, their Martial Arts die is always one step above the progression, going up to a d12.

>Full Throttle
>+4 bonus to AC, attack and damage rolls, messing with XP
This is WAY too much, considering they can do this from level 1 and the lower your level, the faster you get to low HP. Since I can't think of a way to make this trigger only when you have more HP without over-complicating it, at least make the first trigger half HP, then 1/4, then coming back from 0, so they have at most +3.

And remove the blurb about EXP entirely.
>>
>>50766961
First update had a problem with the traits of subraces, that's fixed now.

And no, no UAs in it currently. I didn't make the data I'm parsing, just using it for these simple display tools.
>>
it's monday where are the paladins
>>
>>50766977
>Seems a little too much for me, but at least make it so if they do choose to be a monk, their Martial Arts die is always one step above the progression, going up to a d12.
Dubs confirms this isn't a bad idea either.

I still feel the exp thing is a good factor considering the source, but it's definitely not important either.
Dropping at least one step of the HP thing might work okay too, but it could just go right down to +1 at less than 1/4 and stack with the back from 0 for +2, which is already a significant bonus on top of other races.

I think it depends on the other two or three racial traits.
>>
>>50767039
you need to wait about 8-9 more hours
>>
>>50767039
They were inside you all along
>>
>>50767071

DEUS VULT
>>
>>50767039
It's not Monday in California, buddy.
>>
>>50767056
but its monday
I've been betrayed
>>
File: 1224305657555.jpg (74KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1224305657555.jpg
74KB, 240x240px
These monk archetypes seem pretty dull.
>>
>>50767137
kensai is awesome
>>
I'm in need of character background ideas for certain classes.
Got anything off the top of your head?

Need
>Bard
>Cleric (Probably full-on Healbot, Druid 1 Cleric of Light cheese)
>Druid (Maybe Lizardman?)
>Ranger (UA Ranger)
>Sorcerer
>>
>>50767137

They're actually both pretty cool. The healing monk can put out a shit ton of heals, is hard to hit, and gets a nuke at the highest levels.
>>
>>50764460
>Acquisitions Incorporated

I really liked their episodes, but the live games are too memey for my taste
>>
File: 1481684155091.png (652KB, 676x676px) Image search: [Google]
1481684155091.png
652KB, 676x676px
>Bard gets Ritual Casting
>Sorcerer doesn't
>>
>>50767165
>Sorcerer
Half-elf draconic sorc. Grew up taking care of senile great-great elven grandaddy, who claimed to have fucked a dragon (and would never shut the fuck up about it). When your draconic heritage became apparent, you knew it was time to get the fuck out of dodge.
>>
>>50766711
Really, nothing at all?
Do i just have to hand draw that shit?
>>
>JACK OF ALL TRADES
Starting at 2nd level, you can add half your proficiency
bonus, rounded down, to any ability check you make that
doesn't already include your proficiency bonus.

>RELIABLE TALENT
By 11th level, you have refined your chosen skills until
they approach perfection. Whenever you make an ability
check that lets you add your proficiency bonus, you can
treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

Surely these don't stack, right?
>>
>>50767272
yes they do
>>
>>50767272

They sure do friend.
>>
>>50767272
Why wouldn't it?
>>
>>50767272
but they do anon
>>
>>50767286
>>50767290
sheeeiiitttt, I'd never get fucked over by a bad roll again.

Too bad I have literally never had a game go to level 13.

>>50767293
Because it would mean it's impossible to roll less than a 15 (Assuming 10 in stat) for any ability check?

Seems like it wouldn't be RAI.
>>
Do people generally enjoy having lots of arbitrary languages? Humans are the most diverse and numerous race, in many cases the only ones to have multiple distinct civilizations and cultures, and they all have one common language. Why do Halflings need their own and how does it stay in use without just merging into a dialect of Common when they don't even write much?
More importantly though, would you mind playing a game where there were way fewer languages and most races spoke Common? Or would you go the other way and have several languages for each race?
>>
>>50767309
>less than a 15
Meant less than 12, assuming rounded down, and a Rogue/Bard would have skills out the ass to compensate too.
>>
>>50767315
Because very often races don't live with one another.
>>
>>50767315
Depends on setting/themeing of setting though the latter does cause a whole lot of bloat for something your players won't do too much with.
>>
>>50767309
Well, that's the point of a Rogue, to be good at Skill checks.
>>
>>50766842
L O L
Bonus EXP for falling unconscious. You turned a badass alien warrior race into a jobber race.
>>
>>50767309

One reason I like the AL is that high levels are an honest to god possibility for your favorite character.
>>
>>50767251
For drawing, Photoshop, Gimp and a few other programs are good. For mapmaking without drawing though, things like inkarnate, pyromancers, hexographer etc. all have an array of problems and while they can be good enough they will never be really satisfying in my experience. Inkarnate looks nice and is relatively easy to make for example, but you cannot zoom, cannot vary the visual style so everything looks the same, cannot save as anything but a medium res png, cannot undo etc.
>>
>>50767360
And i'd still have to find a middleman/print it out to put muh players and monsters on?
>>
>>50767350
Well, their prince is a Jobber.
>>
>>50767371
For battlemaps that's another step in the process, yeah.
>>
>>50767335
Halflings specifically oftentimes live in human cities though, or travel. And on a broader level, why do orcs worldwide speak the same language but orcs and humans on the same continent at best know the other one's language? If there's little travel, trade, communication etc. then it doesn't make sense for races to have global languages, especially humans with Common, but if they are in contact their languages would not remain so separate. I get some of it, I just have problems with the really specific ones like Halfling.
>>
>>50767405
Because Orcs follow Gruumrush
>>
>>50767393
Damn, this just ain't gonna be easy now is it. Welp, gotta put muh nose to the grindstone. Any easy way to cover up shit that's out of sight and separate a GM version with traps and shit on it from a player version or do I just gotta make two?
>>
>>50767405
But most races do not live with other races.
Canonically.
>>
Backgrounds: https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/backgrounds.html

Feats: https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/feats.html
>>
>>50767422
They would still have as much contact with civilizations of other races as they would with civilizations of their race though, assuming they're quite similar like dwarves and humans. A dwarven kingdom having a different language than the neighboring human one makes sense on that scale, but for them to then have the same language as a dwarven kingdom on a different continent and still not share that language with any non-dwarven civilizations along the way is just silly.
But regardless of the silliness, what I most want to know is if people enjoy having really small, niche languages like Halfling or if they'd be fine with having a much smaller set of languages.
>>
File: 1464141360056.png (238KB, 435x606px) Image search: [Google]
1464141360056.png
238KB, 435x606px
>>50767440
BASED
>>
>>50766893
I dislike any Racial Profs. They're pre-installed flavor and there's so many more instances of why your Dwarf wouldn't know how to use a HandAxe or inspect Gems and Stone than there is that he would. Justifying these mechanics in world severely limits you.

Nothing should affect EXP because it's done so diversely. It's personal. It's a subjective system.
>>
>>50767479
They have more interaction with themselves.
English speaks have more interactions with English speakers, and accounts for English speakers being English speakers.

Dwarves have more interactions with dwarvish speaking dwarves, and accounts for dwarves being dwarvish speakers.

Somalians have more interactions with whatever shit Somalians speak, and accounts both for Somalians speaking their language and being incredibly impoverished.

LA TOLERANCE?
>>
>>50767440
You plan to glue all these together for an ez character generator?
>>
>>50766255
Your background sucks ass. Please never communicate by written word again.
>>
I don't allow feats as a DM. I tell my players it's because I'm interested in keeping action resolution quick and simple, to allow player-based creativity rather than bog down in rule-specifics.

Which is true.

I also do it because I think feats overall are very bad. GWM and Sharpshooter skyrocket the effective DPR of certain classes, such as the Fighter, and leave other classes to be left behind and undesirable in comparison, such as Monk. Meanwhile, other feats are so nonsensical or poorly designed as to be virtually completely useless as written, such as Keen Mind.

That is to say, by not allowing feats I believe I am saving 5e from the worst part of itself, giving better balance to the classes and reinforcing the strengths of 5e.

you can criticize me, but you'll be wrong
>>
>>50767546
solid reasoning famalam, shame most wont agree with you because
>muh feats
>>
>>50767546
>I love caster supremacy
u do u
>>
>>50767523
Unlikely. Parsing these XML files is hard enough, and I'm not a super-proficient programmer. These are for quick reference.
>>
>>50767573
Even still, this is going to make writing up character sheets a hundred times less tedious since I can just have the various chunks open on different tabs.
>>
>>50767546
I'd only disagree in that I really like feats like athlete and dungeon delver because they both improve your character's functionality and give a reason to roleplay your character a certain way. The feats that I wouldn't mind being banned are things like lucky and GWM (my dm banned lucky) because they're only for number crunching faggots who just want to perform well in combat.
>>
>>50767517
Comparing to reality does little when 99% of our languages are effected by geographical location and it's only within the last centuries people that speak the same language in different parts of the world have become able to communicate and keep that up to stop languages splitting up into dialects and eventually becoming different languages. How is that dwarven kingdom on the other side of the world kept in contact with the first one to such a degree that they speak the same language for an extended period of time? I'm just re-iterating questions but seriously, how are you even arguing this.

What I'm considering would mean that races that live with other races wouldn't have their own language unless there is a special reason to, regions rather than races would have languages so most races don't have their own one but rather choose one based on where they are from.
>>
>>50767546

Meh I think it's alright to limit the power of certain feats (lucky, GWM, sharp) but at the same time I think they're fine. It's true that monks fall behind in some ways in terms of DPR but they get a lot of utility and options in exchange, particularly shadow. Martials get to be big dick consistent DPR, which is okay by me, that's the martial fantasy. Martials get to swing their sword hard while casters still get all their crazy ass shit.

Also you're banning the interesting and niche feats along with those - Actor, Dungeon Delver, Gourmond, and so on.
>>
>>50767546
If martials were actually fun and interesting to play I'd agree. But as-is I think feats are needed to spice up combat for fighters, barbarians and so on, even if it's not too deep and adds a bit too much arbitrary complexity in some cases.
>>
>>50767642
There are racial gods who converse with their races and give them racial texts and oration
>>
>>50767672
I did not think the gods kept up such a close connection to their races, why do they use different languages but not different alphabets though? Why do orcs, goblins, gnomes and giants have different languages but still use the dwarven script?
>>
>>50767315
My world has diverse languages, although certain ones do become widespread as trade and diplomatic languages. I even have a couple of dead languages.
Most importantly, nonhumans speak multiple languages as well. A dwarf that grew up in Tyria speaks Tyrese. "Dwarven" is not even a thing, although there are languages that are mostly spoken in particular dwarf kingdoms. None of them are universal, though. Except High Elfish.
>>
Can I cast Crown of Madness on myself?

Some pesky Vampire is trying to stop my REMOVE UNDEAD character from exterminating them with silly things like "mind control".
>>
>>50767729
Relevant to the more recent >>50767642, I suppose.

>>50767672
In default D&D gods speak Celestial and stuff like that, though. They have no reason to invent a new language and force it on an entire race.
>>
>>50766691
5e actually lends itself to theater of the mind playstyle very well.

Don't seek out maps. If they're provided in a pre-built adventure, you can use them. If you have something offhand from somewhere else, you can use that.

If a situation comes up where layout is really really important, sketch it out for yourself on graph paper. If the players feel that very exact distances are important at the moment, show them on graph paper.

If you use any maps at all, the best maps to use are large geographic overview and city/town maps. Sketch on graph paper. Artistic talent isn't needed.

Don't try to always play on a tactical map. Just don't do it.

TotM combat is much faster when players aren't trying to carefully plot distances. It lets the intentions of the character in combat become dominant over the mechanics of The Game- this works well with the general simplicity of 5e actions.
>"There are 5 orcs in the woods. They stand in a ring around a deep pit filled with bones, and peer out into the shadows of the trees, looking for the source of the sound (made by a clumsy PC stealth check). One of the Orcs, in grimy chainmail, growls something in Orcish to the others, and raises his axe in your general direction to the south."

The issues of "what trees specifically can I hide behind" isn't an issue- there are trees, and there are shadows. Players can ask a question, like "Is the chainmail Orc the one closest to me?" and you can cheat and say yes or no. A player can say he wants to rush an Orc and shove him into a pit- by rule of cool, you can allow him the attempt to do this without a map saying "oh you're actually 35 ft. away and dwarves can move only 25 ft. sorry". If you're consistent and the players trust you, they'll never know when you actually cheat them. Use "adjudicating Areas of Effect" from page 249 of the DMG for some assistance.
>>
>>50767749
as long as you're a humanoid, can see yourself and are within 120 feet of yourself, you can go right ahead
>>
File: Hypnotic Gate.jpg (26KB, 301x320px) Image search: [Google]
Hypnotic Gate.jpg
26KB, 301x320px
>>50767839
Excellent.
>>
>>50767839
Those seem like reasonably easy requirements to fulfill.

>>50767546
What sort of clown DM are you that makes a 30-day eidetic memory useless?
>>
>>50767754
except they do
moradin
coren faglethion
garl gmomish shit
kertoolfak
one-eyed groomz
go down the list u fukn nerd
>>
>>50767720
they want to
just like I only want to use English, and will never learn another language ever because English resonates with my soul
I would not be a white man if I did not speak English
>>
>>50767921
You literally just listed racial gods without actually addressing my point. All of these gods speak the same fucken language - celestial. They literally have no reason to invent new ones for their worshipers, because celestial is universally understood.
Also, try not to meme too hard. That edge can cut you if you're not careful.
>>
>>50767860
>on subsequent turns you must use your action to maintain control
>>
File: LaughingSwedishGirls.jpg (483KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingSwedishGirls.jpg
483KB, 1600x1068px
>>50767931
>I would not be a white man if I did not speak English
>>
>>50767951
they gave them their languages
boom
heck lada
>>
>>50767958
Rip

>I_am_no_longer_insane.jpg
>>
>>50767749
I see a problem with that, unfortunately:
>The charmed target must use its action before moving on each of its turns to make a melee attack against a creature other than itself that you mentally choose.
>On your subsequent turns, you must use your action to maintain control over the target, or the spell ends.
So you can use it for one round, I guess
>>
File: sweden so tolerant.jpg (89KB, 600x349px) Image search: [Google]
sweden so tolerant.jpg
89KB, 600x349px
>>50767963
sweden yes!
>>
>>50767968
Yes, but how come they still speak the same, unmodified ancient language across different continents thousands of years later? That's completely retarded.
Even the PHB admits this (at least some editions of it). Universal languages aren't there to make sense, they're there so players can communicate with most creatures they encounter, no matter how far they travel.
FFS, lazy Tolkien ripoffs ruined fantasy. Tolkien had two versions of Elvish in an area equivalent to Western Europe.
>>
>>50767876
It doesn't say 30-day eidetic memory

It says you can recall accurately anything you've seen or heard in the last month.

When there's a player with 18-20 int roleplaying a savant or legendary academic, we'll agree that he has eidetic memory.

Neither the DM or the player should need a feat to tell them that their character is good at remembering things. The INT score, character backround, and so on is enough to make it happen.
>>
>>50767720
It's actually Giant script, the Dwarves stole it
>>
>>50767997
their gods are active (and in FR they are)
they command them by mind control/fiat
I fucking love divinities
>>
>>50767999
Do you even know what eidetic memory IS? It's EXACTLY that - perfect recall.
It also doesn't actually exist in real life, despite persistent urban legends. So whatever your int score is, you can't arbitrarily decide your character has the power to recall the eye color of the eighth orc from the left during his magic show. That's not a thing you can do. Unless you take the feat.
>>
>>50768013
This is exactly the kind of reasoning one wants to avoid by banning feats.
>>
>>50768006
Oh, for...
The gods speak to them in CELESTIAL, moron. They just hear it as whatever language they speak. So there's absolutely no reason for them to all have the exact same fucking dialect of the exact same fucking language.
>>
>>50768028
>The gods speak to them in CELESTIAL
except they don't
try reading deities and demigods you illiterate casual god-hating swine
theists - 1
multiculturalists/moral relativists/gaytheists - 0
>>
>>50768039
You know what? Fine, we'll accept your premise. What about remote communities without religious figures? Like, tiny goblin fishing villages? How do THEY maintain a perfect dialect?
theists - 1
multiculturalist/moral relativists/gaytheists - 1.618
>>
>>50768060
gods
theists win again
how can faggots even compete?
>>
Why the fuck do you guys think gods speak celestial?
>>
>>50768064
>I'll just say one word and win the argument

>>50768081
Celestial, Supernal, whatever. You know the one I meant.
>>
>>50768081
why do you think all deities quite literally speak all languages?

>>50768097
gods win
mortal faggots lose
gg ez lmao
>>
>>50768097
Supernal is different because it is understandable to everyone by definition. I'm not sure I understand what you faggots are arguing about.
>>
>>50768132
I confused the two. I meant to refer to Supernal from the start. My mistake.
>>
>>50767997

It doesn't really make sense, no. You have to build your system a little more closely to your setting to have languages really make sense in that way.

One of the reasons why D&D SUCKS
>>
>>50768144
Okay I just followed the comment chain back to its source. To solve the argument, yeah a universal language would be a super easy thing to set up but it will make spells like tongues and comprehend language much less useful.

With that said (and in response to the original question) I'm in a campaign right now that features many different languages for each race and it has mostly just made it annoying. At first it sounded kool, like we would get to roll play signing things out with some people, but honestly it just turned into 'always have a magical way to speak to someone at the ready' and then it was forgotten about. In practice it is very hard to communicate non-vocally in an imaginary environment.
>>
>>50768174
Yeah I think having even more languages won't work very well. I'm fine with having large languages that are commonly spoken in one area or throughout the world, that's probably how I'll do it.
>>
The UA feats seem pretty cool. I especially the spear one since they tend to be pretty underused. What class benefits from it most? I'd assume fighter, maybe Monk?
>>
File: bprd_Daimio.jpg (57KB, 680x233px) Image search: [Google]
bprd_Daimio.jpg
57KB, 680x233px
Realistically speaking, how much would having a scar like Captain Daimio fuck with a character's daily life? Infection and medical issues aside, would you even be able to speak properly without half your cheek?
>>
>>50768208
I highly recommend this approach, unless you plan on your game having a shit load of down time so players can learn languages by immersion. The speak character is fucked 50% of the time, and therefore so is everyone in any diplomatic encounter. Just swing it like primordial, chinese or latin. Maybe different areas speak different dialects or languages that are derived from it, but if you speak the larger language you can understand each other.
>>
Looking to optimize via multiclassing or general advice.

Lvl 3 Halfling Battlemaster
Str 13
Con 14
Dex 18
Int 10
Cha 11
Wis 12

I got Archery and got 34 HP due to some lucky rolling. Kinda want to stray from magic so my classes in consideration for multiclassing are Rogue, Ranger, Barb and Monk. What do you guys think?
>>
>>50768357
well you cant do monk or ranger because of your low wisdom. barb doesn't help an archer very much so i guess rogue it is.
>>
>>50768407
My DM is pretty cool. What if I switch my str and wis and then sink a point into wis for 4th level. Would a 14 make it worth the dip for monk or ranger? Also I'm retarded but do combat styles stack when multiclassing like with Ranger and Fighter? New to the system.
>>
File: 1471107947553.jpg (82KB, 720x1110px) Image search: [Google]
1471107947553.jpg
82KB, 720x1110px
>>50768437
>Would a 14 make it worth the dip for monk or ranger?
i don't recommend monk. ask your dm if you can do the revised ua ranger, because thats actually pretty good.

i would really advise you get to level 5 in fighter first before you multiclass so you can get that sweet ,sweet extra attack though.
>do combat styles stack when multiclassing like with Ranger and Fighter?
you get another fighting style, but you can't pick archery again. the specific ones don't stack.
>>
>>50768219
People would be able to audibly hear you breathing
Saliva dripping from the ripped open bits of your mouth would be uncomfortable to look at and slur your speech.
>>
>>50768437
>>50768464
Revised ranger shouldn't be allowed for multiclassing. Monk could actually be pretty cool, though perhaps not as impressive. You'd be able to use Dex with a quarterstaff and get a bonus action unarmed strike. Plus your naked AC with 14 Wis would be the same as with studded leather.
>>
File: Nofunallowed.jpg (61KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
Nofunallowed.jpg
61KB, 448x473px
>>50768608
>Revised ranger shouldn't be allowed for multiclassing
Even when mixed with the Assassin Rogue, arguably the most powerful multiclassing the new Ranger can do, it's not that bad.
It's an extra push to make your encounters interesting, not just '2 groups meet in the middle of the road, 1 group leaves'.
>>
I can't believe I have to make the thread again.

>>50768828
>>50768828
>>50768828
>>
>>50767546
Here's a tip:

The feats that suck need a boost.

All martials get 7 ASIs, all half casters get 6, all full casters get 5.

Homebrew feats for classes that need them like monks.

For example:
Unarmed mastery.
You gain a +2 bonus to attack/damage rolls when using unarmed strikes.

When you don't have disadvantage you may make an unarmed strike with a -5 to hit that deals an additional 2d4 damage.
>>
>>50764698
Bad system for Dragonball
Thread posts: 411
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.