[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's up with fb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 126626713064.png~original.png (16KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
126626713064.png~original.png
16KB, 500x400px
so guys what's going on currently with fb, end times and scub? is gw still hell bent on going retard?
>>
since you made your own thread instead of shitting up the aosg, I'll answer

Warhammer Fantasy Battles wasn't selling at all. GW had to change something because it was making next to nothing. So they did. Of course, Kirby did it in the most hamhanded way possible, because he is Kirby.

Then Kirby got demoted and Based Roundtree was put in his place. He immediately started offering bundle deals with actual savings. Then he put in place a marketing team that actually does a good job and works with social media. Then he released The General's Handbook, which improved Age of Sigmar by 100000%. Then he brought back Blood Bowl. Meanwhile the whole year had a lot of sweet 40k releases that people really liked (Thousand Sons, Burning of Prospero, Genestealer Cults, Deathwatch...)

So no, GW is not still hell bent on being retarded thanks to a senior leadership change.

Warhammer Fantasy is gone, but it wasn't moving product anyway. Age of Sigmar is actually fun, if you give it a chance and use The General's Handbook. Lots of derpy 40k players and salty WFB players still bash on Age of Sigmar for no reason, but they will do that forever.

40k rules are still a clusterfuck, but it moves product anyway. If GW touches the 40k core rules there will be crying and screaming and whining on a unprecedented scale.

In Age of Sigmar, no armies were "squatted" regardless of what the WFB general says. Some armies are no longer on sale, but they have rules available and may be played anyway, if you can get the models.
>>
>>50757287
>is gw still hell bent on going retard?
Pretty much. You are better off just playing an older version of FB or switching to a game that isn't made by morons.
>>
>>50758145
found the salty wfb player

it is the WFB community's fault their game died off. If they were less cancerous and actually bought stuff, encouraged new players, etc, things never would have went like they did.
>>
>>50761387
There were a million ways to streamline FB, and AoS was the wrong way to do it
But please, go on, if you want a game that doesn't involve any thinking then AoS is for you.
>>
>>50757287

End Times was a not-so-well written send-off for Fantasy because it wasn't making them as much as they wanted (due in large part to the fact they kept forcing monstrous creatures down everyone's throats and bloating how large a standard battle is). If you were an elf player like I was, you really felt them shit all over the established lore (Evidently the Phoenix Kings were somehow stealing Asuryan's blessing when they walked into the flames and didn't die, and Malekith, who was burned to a crisp by it, was Phoenix King all along! Also now he's an okay dude!) and some factions like Orcs & Goblins hardly got any screentime at all.

Skaven joined Chaos, GW shoehorned Archaon back into the story and pretended he never got his ass beat, the gods (not Chaos ones) turned out to be "the survivors of the last world", and Chaos blew the world up. Everyone died but Sigmar who is back because he is. Then it turns into an era known as "Sigmar & Friends" where he recruits big names from the End Times and they all pick different planes of existance to live on, which are based on the winds of magic (ya' know, the stuff only the Empire used because they suck at magic and had to have it divided up for them to grasp any of it). People from the old world started sprouting up in these planes because magic, so GW could say "Oh, no, wait, your dudes can still be alive!". Eventually after however fucking long, it's not especially clear, Chaos got back from their roadtrip to knock over Sigmar and his friends' sandcastles by proceeding to take over damn-near all of the planes, but Slaanesh got lost and his/her/its daemons are trying to find him/her/it.

Bretonnia was discontinued not long after the discontinued Tomb Kings (yes they were squatted, they no longer exist in lore, will never receive updates again, and their models will never be produced again). Lots of models and units have new, trademarkable names now, and Age of Sigmar uses round bases so it's a big skirmish game.
>>
>>50757287
>>50764555
cont.

Wrapping things up, they were told that Fantasy was going to die and given the chance to try and give it a send-off. Fantasy is kill, Age of Sigmar took its place, it's no longer a regiment-moving game but instead "Like 40k but High Fantasy". To be fair, if you like the wacky-crazy, kinda-campy high fantasy thing AoS has going on, you might dig it. Just as well, from what I've heard the game itself isn't too bad, and I've thought about running WHFB skirmish games using the rules (but I don't have friends who play anymore). The problem people have with Age of Sigmar isn't so much that it exists, but that they completely removed Fantasy, a very different style of game, in favor of this.

Age of Sigmar, in my opinion, is an easy-to-digest WHFB-based spin-off with a very bland setting that seems to all mush together into a convoluted mess that doesn't seem to have much direction outside of Sigmar v. Khorne.
>>
>>50757406
>pls buy my game

I will literally never pay that shit company a dime again. Thousands of dollars and years of my time fucking gone like smoke in the wind because the retards couldn't figure out how to revitalize sales beyond 'Destroy it all and try again.' But instead I should suck their cocks for allowing me to play my army, that is no longer supported with no new models that will be made that they killed off to a man in the lore? Fuck you and fuck them.

They should have made it a spinoff.
>>
>>50761387
The WFB community basically killed the game by creating restrictions and rulesets to fix the game, so they could have a product where you can avoid buying full FOTM armies at the whinsy of GW nerf/buffhammer.

Of course, if your business model requires terrible game design as a selling point, your product deserved to die. Trying mobile game strategies in a hardware medium was not a good move. FB playerbase being, on average, older than the 40k base just saw through it faster.
>>
>>50764852
Sucking GW cock is the closest you'll ever get to getting laid, so you just keep on doing it, cuck. :^)
>>
>>50761387
>actually bought stuff
I don't see how this is the players' fault. Veteran players didn't buy new stuff because GW had largely stopped releasing anything new that was worth adding to their armies. If you don't release anything worth buying, don't be shocked when nobody buys stuff.

>encouraged new players
Maybe this is somewhat true, but keep in mind that the main barrier to entry was cost. A decent-sized army was too huge an investment for many newcomers, both in terms of money and the sheer number of models to paint.
>>
>>50764697
>To be fair, if you like the wacky-crazy, kinda-campy high fantasy thing AoS has going on, you might dig it.

Honestly, it's the least appealing part of it for me. I don't mind some of the model designs that they've been coming out with, but the writing seems like it's trying too hard to be SOOPAR EPIK, to the point where it reads like a Saturday morning cartoon. I can't help but wonder if it's actually a stealth parody of super-high fantasy at times.

>Age of Sigmar, in my opinion, is an easy-to-digest WHFB-based spin-off with a very bland setting that seems to all mush together into a convoluted mess that doesn't seem to have much direction outside of Sigmar v. Khorne.

Yeah. It could be because it's in its early days, but at the moment, all the setting feels like is an excuse for everyone to fight everyone else. It'll take a while before that changes.
>>
>>50765999
It's not that GW didn't try, just that their efforts were so hamfisted (monstrous cavalry, etc), that players promptly ignored them, or restricted access to the units in an attempt to salvage competitive FB into a game where more than one army can be viable at a time.

This combined with army size creep, and low-point games becoming a non-thing. This drove away new players. Not only due to monetary, but time cost as well. If you have seen a 2500pts Skaven Army, you can figure out how long that took to finish to any decent level.
>>
>>50766096

I'm right with you, bruv. I prefer my fantasy settings to be "realistic", if that makes any sense. I like characters to have depth, and I like it when no faction is wholly good nor wholly evil. It's why I got into the elves in Fantasy. At first I was on board with the dark elves because "lol high elves are fruity, bright-colored pansies", but once I read into the political aspects of their divide I ended up siding with the High Elves. The world was grey (even if they tried hard to paint many factions as chaotic stupid or Coldsteel-levels of edgy). People had flaws that didn't come down to "I'm a completely incompetent retard". Dwarves had their pride and greed, elves were removed from reality because they placed themselves on such a high pedestal, Bretonnians knowingly and willingly inbred other humans till they were legitimately retarded and therefor servile, etc.

You could argue that the Lizardmen were the only "good" faction, but even they didn't give two shits about most living beings. They kept to their own and would go apeshit on anyone that fucked around with their jungles. You could go on about this stuff for a while.

Age of Sigmar (or my personal favorite of its names, "Skub: The Wargame") has the same feeling that over-written special-snowflake characters in Warcraft RP have. Being a half-elf, half-demon, half-celestial kinetic mage monk-fighter, or in our case here, a man that ascended to godhood and managed to be the only thing that survived the destruction of his world and then set about reconstructing everything because he's the best shit since sliced bread and no one else is competent enough to do any of that but the "God-Emperor Sigmar". As someone who never played Empire, I hardly even fucking know who Sigmar is besides the Empire patron god with the hammer. Why is he the end-all-be-all? Fuck everyone that had different gods, amirite? Especially those dwarves.
>>
>>50766285
>army size creep, and low-point games becoming a non-thing
I don't think this can be emphasized enough. No one other than the friend I went to my local game store with wanted to touch Fantasy because A.) our games in 40k were like 1500 points per player average, where as Fantasy was closer to 2500-3000, which required way more shit, and B.) no one else played it. Obviously it was a vicious cycle, and eventually people stopped playing 40k as well. The store is doing fine because they host M:tG stuff and... I don't know, heroclix or some shit, but I never did see anyone that played 40k there again. Sans the friend I went there with. Childhood friend, he is.

A Skirmish game like Age of Sigmar would have been great. It could have used very similar rules but on a smaller scale to get people into Fantasy at relatively low cost, and then Fantasy as we knew it could have revolved around larger battles with proper formations.
>>
>>50766559
Partly due to newer editions making large blocks best strategy, in a GW attempt to monetize harder. So really, they just dropped the ball on FB.
>>
>>50764852

Cool then, keep your minis and either go play KoW or 9th age.

It's literally that simple. As guy who got into AoS post nuke of the old world I won't know your pain but I do empathize for you.

Just move on anon but please do try to be less angry.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.