[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some rpgs set in standard fantasy land with a focus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

What are some rpgs set in standard fantasy land with a focus other than murder hobo behavior?
>>
Maid RPG
>>
>>50748287
>>50736273
Did you just forget you already made this thread?
>>
>>50748287

Burning Wheel, if you don't mind a rules-heavy system. Conflicts in BW are all about fighting for what your character believes in.
>>
>>50748287
All of them.

Murder hobos are a result primarily from players, secondarily from poor GMing.
>>
Murder-hobos result from bad players and worse GMs.
>>
>>50749380
>>50749525

Partly true, but mostly false.

While players can technically be murderhobos in almost any system, you can't disregard the impact of a system's mechanics and reward structures in encouraging murderhoboism.
Some systems will give a player twelve different highly effective ways to murder the merchant, and maybe one unreliable method to get the merchant to sell them the thing they need. This system is effectively telling players that the best, fastest, easiest way to get the thing from the merchant is by employing violence.

You can try to shame your players into ignoring the game part of your RPG in favor of the roleplay part, but if your player looks at his character sheet to find a solution to his problem, and all the buttons are labelled "murder them and take their shit" you shouldn't be so surprised that that's what the player does.

tl;dr: If the system turns the PC into Edward Murderhands, who can only use his hands for murder, you shouldn't blame the player for all the murdering shit.
>>
Mythras
>>
>>50749867
>encouraging murderhoboism

As in you have to want to in the first place. Systems like D&D most definitely do not have only destructive abilities.
>>
>>50750026

No, see, I WANT to get the MacGuffin from the merchant. I roll to persuade and my odds aren't great, and I fail the roll. Now if I want to get the doodad and be able to win at D&D (IE complete the mission, finish the scenario, whatever) the game is telling me that the only way to do that now is murder the merchant and take the thing, because diplomacy has failed, he's not going to sell it, and I don't have non-violent options remaining, because there aren't any such mechanisms left.
It's either murder him, or try to work around the game via some kind of roleplaying shenanigans. That's is fine, but that's not what the game wants me to do, that's an outside solution. The game says "you're out of options that aren't stabbing. Are you sure you don't want to just stab him and take it? It'll be suuuper quick, and easy, too. You're incredibly good at stabbing!"
>>
>>50750026
>the majority of dnd rules are all about combat
>character advancement is centered on becoming stronger in combat
>entire series of massive books filled cover to cover with rules of enemies for combat
>The rules for everything that isn't combat is basically the dm tells you a number to roll for to see if you pass or fail.

When a system shouts from the rooftops that a certain thing is the core gameplay, people will gravitate towards it, and if they want to do anything else with their time it's mostly guess work if they have any sort of plan to go in depth with it. You know why dnd characters don't generally find themselves leading massive armies? Because their aren't rules for it in the base game. You know why dnd characters don't spend time building towns? Because their aren't really rules for it.
>>
>>50750372
>It's either murder him, or try to work around the game via some kind of roleplaying shenanigans.

Which is precisely what you do. Social interaction rolls are a measure not to see if talks fail, but if story complications arise from it. Failure doesn't mean the attempt ends in a hard stop, it means shit happens the way the PCs don't want it to in a story line affecting manner.

>That's is fine, but that's not what the game wants me to do, that's an outside solution. The game says "you're out of options that aren't stabbing. Are you sure you don't want to just stab him and take it? It'll be suuuper quick, and easy, too. You're incredibly good at stabbing!"

To which, again, >>50749380 calls it. If your answer to the PCs fucking up is to let them kill the guy and just take it instead of coming up with a good angle to make it work with storyline, it's either on you or the PCs, not the system itself. Even the most crunchy of roleplay games still expect you to roleplay.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.