[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Song of Swords: Another Ambitious Adventure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 41

File: ohwasyeeveronthecongoriver.jpg (496KB, 1400x733px) Image search: [Google]
ohwasyeeveronthecongoriver.jpg
496KB, 1400x733px
Last time on Song of Swords:
Awoo
Discussion about the history of the genre
Halberds
Pre-American Cheeseburgers (unthinkable, but true!)
What do they Eat during winter in Game of Thrones?

THIS TIME ON SONG OF SWORDS: SHIP COMBAT IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING
I've found some material to rip o--I mean inspire design for combat in the age of sail and beforehand. My chief issues right now are in making this work for ship designs from the time period SoS is set in, but I will be attempting an expansion for Age of Sail games.
Shanty of Sail, soon.

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
https://mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

Now we can't live forever on fuel from the ground, the prices go up and no more will be found, if we're still around for the next age of sail, we might hear that shantieman hail.
>>
jimbo pls
Please finish one game before you go off on another halfcocked adventure.
>>
>>50747429
Lets settle this like savages, James. If we best you in a duel, you must release new update within a week.
>>
>>50747727
This is specifically for SoS, if possible I'd rather like if the people playing as Zells or other maritime-focused characters don't have to wait months to actually be able to use the game.

This should've happened a long time ago but there were problems finding materials and reliable sources of information. Now we have a few, and can make some big progress.

>>50747811
Oh I don't think you'll have to wait a week, either way.
>>
Jimmy's making progress? Get him to make Zellislava vs Sea Monster underwater combat rules. That should stop him.
>>
>>50747964
>Oh I don't think you'll have to wait a week, either way.
This from the man who admitted to being the scorpion of the fable?
You tempt me to hope, Rome, but I have learned that hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
>>
>>50747964
Don't tease me, Jimmy. My heart can't take it.
>>
>>50747964
Kickstarter when?
>>
>>50747964
Post sources.
>>
>>50750170
At this point we're almost ready to go, we're just waiting for the proper time. Want to maximize our chances.

You won't have to wait that long to get a big update though. We're going to release the final Beta version, get the website and all those other materials out there for you. That should be enough to tide you over until we can actually get this train rolling.
>>
>>50750747
>we're just waiting for the proper time
Ah, yeah, you want to do it in June of 2014 right?
>>
>>50750747
>At this point we're almost ready to go
You can't fool us any longer with beautiful words like Kickstarter and Soon any longer, Jimbo.
I've literally learned moon runes in the time it's taken.
>>
>>50750837
And Jimmy literally wrote a whole nother game. Turns out getting one's shit together can be one of the most difficult things to do.

On a related note,
>>50750747
You still on the wagon, Jimmy?
>>
File: m'admiral.jpg (38KB, 550x406px) Image search: [Google]
m'admiral.jpg
38KB, 550x406px
>>50751006
The more people are involved in anything, and the less professional their capacity is, the more chaos is introduced into any enterprise, that is definitely true.
But it is also true that with far fewer resources, other people have finished similar projects in less time. Our inexperience and the unusual ambition of the project have contributed to the long time, but another element of it is definitely personal. Honestly I think a project of this scale NEEDS either a prodigious writer or a team with expert management. Something to consider for the future.

Making a game is in many ways like a weld. You don't realize just how many mistake you made until you've cut off the end pieces and start polishing. Then you find out just how much shit you have to grind out and refill before you can call it done. Every slag inclusion is another hassle to deal with. Everything that comes out of a mistake has to be rewritten along with the mistake itself.

But with games, there is a silver lining, which is that you get to play them as you make them. We haven't even release yet and we've all played so much goddamn Song of Swords that my team at least had to go back to Pathfinder for a while to get the taste out of our mouths. Too much of a good thing.

But when I think about our little community here, our seventy or so comrades, and I think of the thousands we will have someday, it gives me hope. Look at what we've done with a hundred, a hundred and fifty fans. Imagine what we can do with a thousand. Ten thousand.

It'll be grand. There's a bright future awaiting us boys! The prize money's shit and the tack has weevils in it but this is our ship. We built it.
>>
>>50751270
But Jimmy, YOU'RE a prodigious writer. You can whip out tons of great lore at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>50751270
So... You fell off the wagon, then? I figured.
>>
>>50751270
>Pathfinder
Is that really the best thing you had available that wasn't SoS?
>>
>>50751310
Was he even on the wagon?
>>
>>50751340
He said he was.
>>
>>50751270
8/10, almost made me forget

I'll do my duty to shill when you deliver.
>>
>>50751340
>>50751352
>>50751310
Which wagon are we talking about
>>
>>50751413
The teetotal wagon.
>>
>>50751432
Oh, of course. No, I'm all dry now, except with the occasional sip with friends. It's part of what's got me posting less than usual now. You guys count as friends, whenever I start loreposting I find myself reaching for a drink.

I'll kick that habit soon enough.
>>
>>50751525
Do you still keep alcohol in the house? I haven't done so since summer and it worked a treat at curbing that kind of habit for me.
>>
>>50751552
I have a rather expensive array of drinks still sitting around. I've been having friends and whatnot deplete the store but it was extensive and I haven't the heart to pour it all out. I don't buy anything new though.

Helps that it's mostly whiskey though. I once inhaled half a glass of it while laughing and spent the rest of the night vomiting and coughing painfully, ever since then just the smell makes me want to toss my cookies.
>>
>>50751602
Well, anything unopened would be a good gift for a drinker you know this Christmas.

>half a glass of whisky is too much
Uh
You mean like a big ol' beer glass or something and not a tumbler, right? Because otherwise... Well, it's no wonder it takes a while to go through what you've got.
>>
>>50751667
Mate if you're trying to quit you shouldn't be drinking a big ol' beer glass full of whisky.
>>
>>50751667
No no, I mean I inhaled it, like it went down the wrong tube into my lungs. You ever choke on water in like the worst way? Well it's way worse with whiskey. Something about the smell just makes it so much worse.
>>
>>50751737
Oh, yeah that sounds wretched.
>>
>>50751321
It's what we played back in the day. We were unshakeable 3eaboos, you know. Never could shake it.
>>
>>50751782
>Jimmy et al were not only one-system gamers but one-edition gamers before being rescued by John Galt and the Riddle of Steel
Truly horrifying.
>>
>>50751782
Someday
>>
>>50751802
>>50751321
Archive exploration has indicated that the Tattered Realms was originally a 3.x campaign that Galt or Jimmy ran, with orcs and everything.
>>
>>50752281
What the hell is that?
>>
>>50753013
Pretty cool game. Even has Pathfinder stuff for 3aboos like Jimmy
>>
File: faOP.jpg (731KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
faOP.jpg
731KB, 2448x3264px
>Jimjam returns and promises a bunch of rad shit

How I wish I even had the ability to believe in this. Boat combat? My campaign needs that shit badly. The 'Final Beta Version' would make my cock so hard that I'd literally be a danger to those around me. But is it true? Alas, I cannot muster belief. Make me a liar Jimmy. Punish my impudence with the glorious hammer of your truth. Make me ashamed I did not believe.

tits or gtfo
>>
>>50751782
Jimmy, how do you answer the charge that you are infact a Selkie Leopard Seal?

Has anybody been keeping track of the Ballad Lore as it drips out, or is some serious archive trawling needed to build a Laser Whale Wiki?
>>
>>50754950
Archive delving is needed.

Don't think even Jimmy have saved what he has written, so it's all just collective memories of ramblings of past.
>>
>>50754950
Archive trawling, though there's a tiny bit on the tattered realms wiki and the existing ballad wiki.
>>
>>50751782
Hey, now that you did a thread yourself, does this mean you are going to show something for us? I remember you saying that you'll be making a thread when you have something to show for it, so as to not just have a thread just because.
>>
>>50757204
I trust sober Jimmy even less than drunk Jimmy.
>>
We expect results Jimmy
>>
File: everyVegetaFight.png (2MB, 1918x1043px) Image search: [Google]
everyVegetaFight.png
2MB, 1918x1043px
>>50751270
Just save all your good ideas for Song of Swords 2e
>>
>>50757204
Of course, I'm working on it now. This is a bit of a project right here, but there is progress. I'll have something to show you soon.
>>
File: 1453155339449.jpg (365KB, 2464x1648px) Image search: [Google]
1453155339449.jpg
365KB, 2464x1648px
>>50760721
I want to believe. Make it happen Jimmy, for all our sakes.
>>
>>50760721
Soon as in tonight, or is this the patented Song of Swords "Soon"?
>>
>>50747964
What are the historical sources that you have?
>>
>>50760721
>a rare Jimmy Rome sighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXTkOs-wg2E
>>
>>50763187
That seal is cute af. I can see why Sark thought getting his girlfriend one would be a good idea.

>tfw Jimmy's expy character in the setting is the seal
>>
File: oi9vclKtr11s9rx9zo1_1280.jpg (79KB, 885x636px) Image search: [Google]
oi9vclKtr11s9rx9zo1_1280.jpg
79KB, 885x636px
>>50763187
>Nat Geo then
>diving with seals in Antarctica

>Nat Geo now
>>
>>50763187
>>50763280
Why is Jimmy a leopard seal now? I thought he was a gay Roman.
>>
>>50764273
I cannot blame them. The National Geographic has likely run out of eccentricities to gawk at in Africa and Australia, so they've pivoted the camera around to show us the results of dumping millions of gallons of estrogen into our own water supply for fifty years.
>>
>>50764322
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izXAoKKHm4g&index=8&list=LLqjg1dSRqBPsudvzg6WvxpQ&t=184s
>>
>Jimmy tells us that there's something new he has for us
>thread remains dead
Does this mean that we've finally become immune to his lies?
>>
>>50764322
Being a homosexual Roman doesn't exclude him from being a leopard seal.

>>50765585
Yes. We've been hurt too many times in the past believing his lies.
>>
>>50765585
It means that the hype is finally dead and any kickstarter launched this year or later will inevitably be a failure.
>>
>>50765585
To be fair, the first ~25 posts in the thread were pretty fast. Then I guess everyone went to bed and/or realized there's still nothing new to talk about.

Jimmy, with regards to Tattered Realms naval combat, wouldn't it mostly be late galley style combat, like Lepanto? Cause from what I understand those kinds of battles tended to turn into land battles at sea on a wooden platform.
>>
>>50765869
Actually, now I'm wondering what maritime tech is around. I know you've talked around Helian triremes, and other galley-type ships in the Broken Sea, but what about in the Slivers? Being more of an Aegean-style archipelago, but next to the open ocean, I feel like you'd have a more interesting mix. Or just caravels, idk.
>>
>>50765869
I got drunk and watched my handegg team lose, that's my excuse.
>>
>>50765869
>went to bed
>22 hours ago
Okay.
>>
>>50766446
The long sleep of death
>>
>>50765840
That is not dead which may eternal lie. But it's probably going to take a hell of a lot to build up a good amount of hype.
>>
>>50765585
Don't be so negative bro, it's Christmas.
>>
>>50763101
I'm working on it now. It's still coming along dude but it's hard to know when something is ready to release. A lot of rules to write down here and a lot of thought experiments to do.
>>
>>50767592
>I'm working on it now
That doesn't tell us anything. You can work on it all night and then not finish and not work on it seriously for weeks.

I have like three different things in that category right now.
>>
>>50767592
Have you fired your editor yet?
>>
>>50767645
I intend to finish it sometime tonight, but it's going to be work. I've struck inspiration here, but it's still all got to be written.

>>50767652
That isn't my job. She's done a fine job anyway, everyone's just very busy.
>>
>>50767728
Your game has been delayed for what, two years? That isn't busy, that's just not doing the job.
>>
File: raichu_by_hibbary.jpg (105KB, 458x600px) Image search: [Google]
raichu_by_hibbary.jpg
105KB, 458x600px
>>50767759
There have been a lot of invisible hurdles here man, just lay off it. I'm not in a position to throw stones at anybody.
>>
>>50767835
I think the problem was that those hurdles remained invisible. If the editor had their parents murdered or fought off cancer or had a kid or whatever, that's fine. Shit happens, I doubt you're able to pay much, that's how shit goes. But we didn't get any sort of explanation for it. Just weeks of silence at a time. No updates for like what, a year? No explanation at all for any delays, just silence and "soon". We got Ballad, which is nice and all, but I don't give a fuck about Ballad. I signed on for Song of Swords, a medieval fantasy/historical RPG. I think it's great that people like it, and I've been getting more and more into it lately, but I still care more about the original game we were sold on. For a while it seemed like SoS was completely abandoned in favor of it, and we heard nothing but Ballad for a few months back there.

You have to fucking tell us what's going on. You have to give updates, to show you're still working on things. You have to at least post more than one post a week to show you aren't dead and still care. That's why people are upset or think you're lying, because we've been kept with almost no information for a fucking year now.

People calling for the head of the editor are doing so because they don't know what the fuck happened, and to all appearances that person help up the game alone for a super long time. Without any actual updates, who can know better?

I'm still backing the game. I'm still down with you guys. I'm running two games of SoS right now. But you've really been dropping the ball with communication and managing the community.
>>
>>50767406
What's the Tattered Realms version of Christmas?
>>
>>50767979
You're right dude, we handled it poorly. We handled it poorly. There was a lot of messy stuff going on in my life too, it's just been a downer across the board and I'm sorry. We'll make this better.
And now this piece of shit computers internet is down and I have to retune this on a hoddamn phone.
The phones internet works just fine of course. Fucking pcs.
>>
File: I don't even know.png (43KB, 161x206px) Image search: [Google]
I don't even know.png
43KB, 161x206px
>>50768307
I believe in you you big lovable faggot.
>>
>>50768307
Fucking finally. Jebus. What a hassle. An hour of bashing my face against this stupid edifice we call the internet but I'm back.
>>
>>50768748
Let me guess. Comcast.
>>
>>50747429
>but I will be attempting an expansion for Age of Sail games.
>Shanty of Sail, soon.

RELEASE SONG OF SWORDS ALREADY JIMBO YOU FUCKING HACK
>>
>>50750747
Joke's on you, the 1.99 document is progressing nicely and it'll fly off into completion once I figure out why my TeXstudio Javascript ain't working
>>
>>50770189
Are you putting the new weapons and combat rules in?
>>
>>50770189
Speaking of which, I've yet to get merge privileges despite being listed as a contributor, so I'm just gonna keep submitting pull requests until we get that sorted out
Also I now have a decent handle on using git properly, which should help immensely in not making me cry tears of frustration

>>50771281
That's the plan, I see no reason to keep the old ones.
I'm also considering adding the Magic stuff (Star Vampires and whatnot), though that might require more work than I'm comfortable with before I've actually finished the main stuff.

Weapons and combat though is definitely replacing the old junk, I see no reason not to do that, since I don't have to make new sections for it.

Programanon (the guy who actually knows his stuff, whereas I am but a lowly typist monkey) has a repo up at https://github.com/progamanon/latexed-SOS from which you should be able to download the PDF as it's edited -- note that the current one is absolute trash as it's not yet been manipulated at all, but I'd appreciate it if you checked it out as we edit it and request whatever things you think might be neat to have (for instance, I've now made the Boons table hyperlink to its respective Boon and intend to do the same for Maneuvers when I get to that chapter)

You can find the current PDF in my fork, though it too is not really ready for "real" usage

Oh, and tables are kinda ugly (the tables I've actually constructed so far), but I expect programanon to have a solution
>>
Hey I've been away for a while, have I missed anything notable from lore of system changes/expansion?

Also I haven't really looked into CotV but it seems like it would be a good system for a Valkyria Chronicles game. Would the space magic be useable as Valkyria powers?
>>
>>50772635
Valkyria powers are all super OP, right? So it would be perfect.
>>
>>50772635
Improvements to Ballad's initiative system have been incorporated into SoS by an extra update and weapons have been rebalanced a fair bit.
>>
>>50751552
>>50751525

Breaking things off with my GF and starting to date a qt trap is how I got over my growing and rampant alcoholism.

10/10 would recommend.
>>
>>50772712
>tfw no GF to break things off with
Guess I'm stuck with the alcoholism then.
>>
File: 1404025433835.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1404025433835.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>50747964
Jimmy, you are such a tease
>>
>>50771391
Never fucking mind, I messed up with the write access: I just hadn't accepted the invitation properly

Everything's smooth as silk now, will finish up within the week and have a usable albeit imperfect version
>>
>>50773898
Have I mentioned lately that I love you?
>>
>>50772686
It's not finished though. There are questions raised and problems created by the Ballad system being jammed into SoS.
>>
>>50773898
>>50768748
>>50767979
Seems like a good time as any to copypaste the new updated version of the marketing advice I linked Jimmy some time (Years?) ago. It's behind a paywall of buying a book, so I'll just rip it from my pirated version:

http://paste2.org/937cX40h

Also, I'll copypaste the "hacking kickstarter" part of the book:

http://paste2.org/s629dy8n

Maybe they'll be of some use.
>>
>>50768307
Hey Jimjam, I just want you to know that we only speak so harshly and roughly because we truly love this creation of yours, this work of art that produces an experience that just can't be found anywhere else.

Song of Swords is beautiful and amazing and we love it and we love you for having made it and sharing it with us, with no pretenses and nothing but shared, genuine joy at the thought of stabbing a dude in the dick

Stay great Jimmy. Despite all our rage, we're just rats in a sinking ship of lies and naval warfare coming Never™
>>
Just saw a samurai movie called "sanjuro" which I think /sos would enjoy
>>
>>50776533
It's a Kurosawa film, everyone will enjoy it.

Where's the stream, faggot?
>>
>>50771391
>Know my stuff
Well, that's maybe a bit generous.
>>
File: really.jpg (70KB, 527x390px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
70KB, 527x390px
Dear Jimjam, please get a tripcode so we know if we're being trolled. I want to believe that Soon is here, but this could pretty easily be a cruel joke. Love you.
>>
>>50776566
cant stream. but it is on 123movies.
>>
>>50776696
>please get a tripcode
>translation: please become a huge asshole
No
Don't do that
Do the opposite of what this man says
>>
>>50773898
>>50771391
How come the book went to some Australian instead of these guys?
>>
>>50776743
>being this new
A tripcode used within the context of a single thread for identification is literally what a tripcode is for.
>>
>>50776777
>being this new
A tripcode is the sign of a shitty poster you ignore. We've done fine without a trip for 3 years. Other people shouldn't change for your insecurities.
>>
>>50775814
Like what?
>>
>>50776696
>>50776777
>>50776824
Jimmy has no tripcode so that we has plausible deniably when he says something horribly offensive and it gets dradgged up in the middle of the kickstarter by some Kotako/ShutUp&AndSitDown virtue signaller.

Then again we shouldn't have any more drunk rants, maybe it's safe.
>>
>>50776764
because socialist Muslims can never be trusted no matter how industrious they may appear for a brief instant
>>
>>50776743
>>50776824
'tripfag terror' boogeyman is a poor argument

>>50777149
This however makes sense.
>>
>>50776824
KM is a cool guy and you're a fag almost on the level of OP for insinuating otherwise
>>
>>50778737
>OP is Jimmy Rome
Holy shit. These are levels of homosexuality never before recorded by science.
>>
Jimmy, what do you give a Zell as a present? They don't seem like they'd care too much about jewelry or candies because they can't taste too good. Maybe like... Boots? Or a gun?
>>
>>50781212
Practical things are generally appreciated. A Zell knows more than most people how useful a good knife is at sea, and most who've been around for a while keep a collection of them. You're also right to suspect boots, though a lot of them go barefoot on their ships so that they can more easily climb ropes and feel their way around. The Zellislava would never allow them to get a splinter or anything awful like that.

But jewelry, you are mistaken on. That sort of stuff does appeal to them, they're very vain people, and love adornments, especially things which they cannot get from the sea. Glass beads, gold or silver torques, earrings, gemstones of all sorts, they go daffy for them.

Of course they rarely wear earrings, even if they think they're pretty. The most influential of the Zellish tribes, the Sethites, have a tradition of torturing new crewmembers who cannot join the Dream (it happens sometimes) by nailing them to the ship's mast by their ears, and leaving them there until they can be thrown ashore at the nearest stop with their possessions.

So having a pair of holes in one's ears is now seen largely as a sign of "atheism" (means something different for Zells than humans) and is extremely taboo. Even the sight of earrings makes many Zells deeply uncomfortable, and some won't even hire prostitutes who wear them. A few tribes reject this taboo, particularly the Dakonats, who like earrings precisely because it is taboo, and the Zhzhdhzh, who have their own tradition of piercing their ears so that the pain can bring them closer to their gods. Because the ears grow more sensitive the closer to the skull they get, it is a sign of status to have piercing closer to the head for them. But then, they tend to weird out the other Zells anyway.
>>
>>50750738
Well I finally got my hands on some of the written stories upon which Horatio Hornblower was based, as well as the actual novel of Master & Commander. I also finally wrangled some of my father's old friends, some of whom had sailed on square-rigged ships before, and so I learned a few important differences from modern sailing.

I was also able to find several games that had handled maritime combat in great detail, and while I don't intend to go full autism as some of them did, I do agree with one author that the key to depicting naval combat correctly is to recognize that sailing tactics are the core of naval combat. How well you shoot and how well your marines fight is out of the Captain's control--those are duties for other players to take on--but where you sail, at what speed, when you turn, when you think it's worth the risk to tack instead of wearing, that's where the real tactics are in a battle of ships, and the Captain of a ship should feel that tactical edge as keenly as though he were in melee combat.

Of course as far as I can tell nobody has ever made a game about this specific age of naval combat, so we're breaking some new ground here and assumptions have to be made because the research materials simply aren't there.
>>
>>50781398
>Zhzhdhzh
How do you pronounce that?
>>
>>50781617
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ermJDC1s1o

zhee-zhuh-dee-zhuh.

They worship Zhzhdon, God of Madness. This is actually sort of an approximation, "Madness" (Zh, often dragged out to zzzzzzzzh, with the implication being that the longer it is the worse it feels) in Zellish really just means "thinking about things which cause you to feel emotional or existential anguish." The term was derived from the sound Zells make when they are frustrated, depressed or despairing, and more or less means "headache."

Zhzhdon, thus, is "The prince of headaches/psychic anguish," and the Zhzhdhzh are "those whose heads hurt (because they) hurt their heads."

A better translation would be "people who overthink things." They wear the title proudly, but other Zells also use it to describe people who won't shut up or want to argue semantics.
>>
File: 1459010918410.jpg (69KB, 495x700px) Image search: [Google]
1459010918410.jpg
69KB, 495x700px
>>50747429
Ship combat you say..
>>
Hey Jimmy, when the Kickstarter definitely comes out tomorrow, will there be like some kind of nice leather bound version of the book to buy?
>>
>>50781398
no toe-less boots then?
>>
>>50778737
>implying exceptions do not exist like KM and Mr Rage
>>
>>50781600
Are we looking at cogs or caravels?
>>
File: 2j41ow8.jpg (266KB, 1206x701px) Image search: [Google]
2j41ow8.jpg
266KB, 1206x701px
>>50783582
Sarturi longships
>>
>>50784009
>viking boners.sfx
when will the comic return from the war?
>>
File: 1468175171657.jpg (391KB, 1200x831px) Image search: [Google]
1468175171657.jpg
391KB, 1200x831px
>>50783582
Mo'fuckin Galleys.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F77CBGVH1g&t=0s
Jimmy apparently took an hour off of writing naval combat rules to comment on MGR lore and American corporate laws.
>>
>>50783119
I mean at that point you're basically talking about sandals, but I imagine they might be useful for that specific purpose. It would be easy to adapt old boots to that configuration too.
>>
>>50783119
>toeless boots
For what purpose
>>
>>50784525
Needs more Helian lasers.
>>
Zhzhdzh is fucking stupid

whoever thinks it's good is stupid

you are all stupid
>>
>>50787284
What?
>>
Someone just showed Matt Easton his erotic fanfiction on Facebook. Which one of you was it?
>>
>>50787284
I'm not the biggest fan of it myself, but have you ever seen Slavic last names? Its not that unreasonable.

>>50787449
Kek
>>
>>50787449
Screencap?
>>
>>50787503
It's completely unreasonable.

>t. a Slav
>>
File: Easton Loses His Virginity.jpg (53KB, 494x808px) Image search: [Google]
Easton Loses His Virginity.jpg
53KB, 494x808px
>>50787503
>>50787513
>>
>>50784892
it's just a drawfag meme.
>>
>>50787615
He didn't say he hated it.
>>
>>50787615
You can't just post that and not post the fanfic as well.
>>
File: Matt Easton.png (62KB, 652x477px) Image search: [Google]
Matt Easton.png
62KB, 652x477px
>>50787869
Nevermind, found it.
>>
File: 1482195956988.gif (45KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
1482195956988.gif
45KB, 198x198px
>>50787914
>>
>>50747429
What's Ballad still missing if I want to run a WWII Winter War game?
>>
>>50791315
Rules for starvation and frostbite?
>>
File: _ ____ __ ____ ____ ______.jpg (18KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
_ ____ __ ____ ____ ______.jpg
18KB, 321x322px
>>50787615
>tfw Matt Easton may have read your OC fanfic of him
>>
>>50792735
Truly we have displayed our meme potential, achieving full power kickstarter shilling will be trivial.
>>
>>50787284
I think it makes more sense for the race that whistles all the time.
>>
>>50781398
Why nail the guy to the mast. That seems extreme.
>>
>>50795830
Probably to keep them from going anywhere and to make sure they're somewhere where you can see them. And it marks them as weirdos for later.

I'm assuming that what Jimmy meant by "atheists" having a different meaning for Zells is that a Zell who can't Dream is literally without a god, an "atheist" in a more literal sense of the word than mere belief. These people would be treated like freaks. I'm actually surprised they don't just kill them out of hand so that they can't reproduce.
>>
>>50787615
That's going to make Jimmy and Matt's inevitable meeting very awkward.
>>
>>50783582
Cogs, Caravels, Carracks, Galleys, and the ever-elusive Zellislava.

A tricky part is determining what exactly the armaments for each ship ought to be, but for now we're just going with a guesstimate based on a few historical numbers. This is rather early in the period, so ships aren't as well armed as they would be by, say, Lepanto.
>>
>>50797812
What sets the Zell boat apart from the others?
>>
>>50798168
Zellish ships tend to be faster, and to have many more fixed weapons than their human counterparts. In other words, their ships are generally superior in terms of mobility and firepower.

However, their hulls aren't that strong, and they have much smaller crews, and as such they are very vulnerable to certain types of weapons, and they aren't good at all at boarding actions against other ships. They can handle boarders okay, but not spectacularly.

Zellish ships specialize in long range skirmishing, and they tend to dominate the maneuver environment because unlike human vessels, Zellish ships have no problem turning through the wind--they can tack without risk of being held aback or going into irons.

Small ships tend to fight primarily with bows or guns, and this is where the Zells are strongest, but as ships grow larger they start carrying a variety of cannons, flamethrowers and ballistae, and in this environment the Zells quickly falter because of their fragility, and have to start relying on their superior handling to get into strong positions and rake the enemy's stern and such, quickly disabling them.

Of course there are exceptions. You can customize any ship, a Zellislava included, and some of them could be armored up into titanic abominations capable of shrugging off cannonballs like gnats.
>>
>>50798260
>Zellish ironclads
Muh dick
>>
>>50798260
The Zells sound like the Clanners from Battletech, except with boats.
>>
File: local donkey.png (510KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
local donkey.png
510KB, 1280x720px
>>50798260
Are these all mechanics that are already in the naval combat system? You have rules for turning into the wind and shit? That sounds more detailed than any game about boats I've ever played.
>>
>>50800443
Yeah, it's all there. The rules for sailing and turning and navigating and such are all done, the hard part is getting Shooting and Boarding down to a manageable level.
And, of course, we need Heroic Actions for PCs who aren't the Captain to take. Who doesn't want to be the expert archer who snipes the enemy's helmsman at 500 yards, or the guy who kicks the drummer off his stool and starts Van Halening that shit up to increase speed?
>>
>>50800759
>Who doesn't want to be the expert archer who snipes the enemy's helmsman at 500 yards
So uh, is this going to be different from normal SoS rules? Before the CotV update hitting people at 500 yards was trivial. Now it's extremely difficult but bows have no power at that range. The one exception is zells with wheelbows. Superior Aim and Power Draw are not things anymore, unless you are going to release a more updated release of CotV rules?
>>
File: dog gets the news.jpg (65KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
dog gets the news.jpg
65KB, 768x1024px
>>50801233
>Superior Aim and Power Draw
>not things anymore
>>
>>50801233
>zells with wheelbows
These would seem to be the primary beneficiary, it's even in lore as a part of their culture.

Manuballista with Bodkin heads seem to be pretty decent as well.
>>
>>50801287
Bows are weak now. Broadheads are still the best arrow type
>>
>>50801233
While I'll stand behind the COTV updates to the combat system, it is true that missile combat in SoS has lost a lot of its texture as a result and I do intend to fix that. I feel that this loss is minor compared to what we've gained from the improved initiative system as a whole, and it's also something that we'll be able to fix pretty easily.

It's funny, after so much work on these stupid fucking missile maneuvers, it's almost a pleasure to rip them all up by the roots. It's like peeling off a scab that's been annoying you, you know?

>>50801308
Aye, Zells with wheelbows even have their own rules in "crew shooting" (shots by personal weapons instead of mounted guns and the like) that make them very good at attacking outside of their ships' weapon arcs. This means they can maneuver more and still shoot effectively since they aren't limited by gun fixings.

The downside of course is that a Zellish ship that suffers any smallarms fire will lose crew, and there are never that many Zells on a ship, because they just aren't necessary. All Zellish ships have a Skeleton Crew rating of 0 since the ship can pilot itself, so even the largest class of Zellislava will only have 40 people on it in most situations. Comparatively a Cog can't even sail if it has fewer than 30 men on it.
>>
>>50801392
Will naval combat be satisfying to play?
Have you looked at Rogue Trader's space-navy combat to see what it does, and doesn't, do well?
>>
>>50801438
>Will naval combat be satisfying to play?
I'm sure the game designer who is excitedly telling you about the game he's designing and hoping you give him money for will tell you the game won't be satisfying to play
>>
>>50801451
He's already expressed concerns about people who aren't the captain. Even if he fills our ears with yet more lies, I want him to consider the issue.
>>
>>50801438
We can't know if it's fun to play yet, because we haven't tested it, but the idea is that it will feel as tactical as SoS melee combat. In fact, it might even be more cerebral because a lot of the maneuvers don't involve rolling.

Like, the distance your ship moves and how quickly you can turn is more or less set. You can change sail positions and your position relative to the wind, and so can your opponent, but the effects of both are obvious to both you and everyone else.

So in a way, it's more of a Chess game to SoS Melee's Backgammon. The only random elements are shooting and rolls for doing dangerous maneuvers. The war of maneuver is purely a matter of planning and reading your opponent.

I think it will be very satisfying, especially if you learn the rules and dedicate a few hours to becoming very adept at sailing tactics. You could actually pull off some Yang Wenli level shit and just smash enemy fleets who are bigger than you because you think out the battle better.

So I think it'll be tasty, but we'll have to wait and see until we've playtested it. Obviously you guys will be a part of that.
>>
>>50801287
>master zell observer but trainee bowman
>1 MP
>12 PER
>wheelbow + bodkin arrows = 50 yard range
>3-phase aim + 12 PER + 12 PER = 30 bonus dice

>9 dice @ TN 7 is about 51% of hitting 4 RS
>MP 1 + 30 bonus = 31
>31 - 9 = 22
>22 * 50 = 1,100 to 1,150 yard shot
Zeckery the Zell with max PER and a wheelbow with bodkins but only 1 MP in Bows has 50% hit chances at 1,149 yards
>>
>>50801308
Crossbows kick the shit out of bows now that power draw is gone. Lower TNs and the same damage and ammo choices means bows' only advantage is how they can more quickly achieve 3 Aims.
>>
>>50801527
Yes?
>>
>>50801553
>Yes?

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1472687691912.jpg (90KB, 918x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472687691912.jpg
90KB, 918x800px
>>50801563
He really, really likes women.
>>
>>50801563
I'm CIA. We have the Pentagon's top cryptologists working on it as we speak.
>>
>>50801588
You seem like a big and capable guy.
>>
>>50801527
There was a campaign I played in (Pathfinder) which was themed after naval warfare. I played Kornan the Fickle (basically Kharn the Betrayer) the captain of The Red Tide.

My first mate was a woman called Jinit Salteyes, a cohort who I built as an archer with a huge layered network of feats and equipment to be able to shoot the longest distance physically possible with a bow in 3.x+. At the time that was something like two miles.

We later reused the character for Sulla's biological daughter, Jinit "Salteyes" Sulla, who suffers from terrible allergies that leave her eyes crusty and gross all the time.

But, the former idea would make a great character in a naval campaign. An archer who can make impossible shots from obscene ranges. Sort of like Reaver from Fable--he shoots the enemy captain from a thousand yards away, even in a storm with zero visibility.
>>
>>50801606
Sorry, his granddaughter, the daughter of his actual son Bacchus Sulla.
>>
>>50801624
Can ascended fug? Can they bear children?
>>
>>50801671
Absolutely. But, the children of Ascendants--even if it's two Ascendants--are always just regular humans. They tend to be beautiful, tall, intelligent and free of deformities, but they do not inherit the divine traits of their parents.

At least two or three times in history, Ascendants of different deities have had children, and they seem to be no different, though they combine at times shocking elements of both parties. The healthy bronze glow of a Paladin's son with the shocking white hair of a Silver Guard, or the enormous size and big bones of a Sarturi Chosen and the immaculate shining grin of a Paladin.

It's almost as though, when such a thing occurs, the two gods argue over which traits will be best represented in the child, and each get to choose one or two.
>>
>>50801756
Why would it be in God's Plan to have a shitty argument with some other God about who gets the kids? Gods are weird.
>>
File: 1450849106664.jpg (282KB, 2048x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1450849106664.jpg
282KB, 2048x1150px
>>50801863
>Genosus
>God
>>
>>50801863
There's no capital-g involved. Genosus and Bocanadessia are both admitted servants of a greater power. Sartur is the wildcard, but whatever he is, he is not stronger than either of them, evidently.
>>
>>50801527
>top tier master sniper zell
>20 MP + 30 bonus dice + wheelbow + bodkin = 52% hit chances of 4 RS at 2099 yards ~= 1.2 miles
>>
>>50802124
Somewhere, a Dacian general perks up at the thought of mercenary Zell archers successfully raining arrows down on Helion.
>>
>>50801756
Why is "Child of Ascendant" not in the game mechanics?
>>
>>50803725
Why would it be? All it entails is that the child has the physical traits of its parents - much like any other child
>>
>>50803725
It has no base benefit, you have to express it through Boons.
>>
>>50803725
>Beautiful
>Hale and Hearty
>Estate
>Folks back home
>Good X
>Known for Virtue
>Tall

Lot's of way to represent being a genetically superior human being or having the good baggage of being an Ascendant's child.
>>
>>50801921
So about that, who the fuck is that anyway?
The Zells have the same overdeity, yeah?
>>
>>50805597
Nobody knows. Genosus, Boccy and Sartur plus the 7 dragons all are gods, but at least Genosus says that he is just here to babysit because somebody else told him to.
>>
>>50801756
So, about breeding
We know that human/elf crossbreeding is possible. Orredin (I think) and Zell at least have in the past done the dirty and deuced out a degenerate descendant, but what happens if the human in question is an Ascendant?
The Orredin already select the best and brightest humans, so how does a Bocanadessian Ascendant not qualify immediately?
>>
>>50806525
>Zellish (and by extension probably other Dinnish) offspring are almost always Zells (Dins) even with humans
>Human Ascendants always breed human children
Are the Ascendants the solution to race erasure? Are they our hope to secure the existence of our people and a future for our human children?

Ascendant Hope
A-scend-an-t
A-an
Reveal Yourself
A-RY-AN HOPE
>>
>>50806589
As expected of Jimbo Rome.
>>
>>50805597
That's a plot hook.
>>
>>50801896
Yeah what was it? A Power? A Principate?
Litterally shit tier angel do not worship.
>>
>>50808191
I think he was a Throne.
>>
>>50805597
I think he's called He Who Came First. He stepped into the universe for a moment, and the illumination of him doing so destroyed the race that the Zells' gods used to belong to, except for The Seven, who were caught in the shadows cast by his servants and survived. He looked around, saw that the place was empty, so left two minions (Genosus and Boccy) to watch the place for him and then left.

And it's implied that HE himself works for another greater entity. So He Who Came First is probably an archangel.
>>
>>50806589
I think that was referencing ascendant-human babbies. We don't know how they interact with Zells, or if they even can.
>>
>>50809656
Aren't archangels lower than Thrones?
>>
>>50776824

Tripcodes done for attention and prestige are a symptom of a shitty poster.

Tripcodes done for ease of identification of somebody who's essentially running a thing is basically the fucking point they exist.
>>
>>50781600
Just use Close Action and be done with it.
>>
>>50811166
>SoS
>just use riddle of steel and be done with it
>BotLW
>just use GURPS WW2 and be done with it
>living
>just kill yourself and be done with it
>>
>>50806509
>7 dragons

Wait what? When did they show up? What's their deal?
>>
>>50812043
But instead of Jimmy reinventing yet another wheel that he's admittedly not an expert on and just getting into, he can steal I mean take inspiration from a fantastic game that's been developed by experts in the field for over 25 years and does everything he wants it to do.

We can finally get a fucking game published if he can stop being the Spartan Games of indie dickstabbing RPG devs.
>>
>>50812185
Jimmy isn't holding up the game, it's the Australians. It's been in their court for 2 years now. He's working on other stuff because they're not pulling through.
>>
>>50812148
They are the Zells gods. Zellislava belong to one of the seven dragons, and with them, the crew.
>>
>>50812228
Look, tell me where they live and I'll go slap their shit. Unless they're farther north than Sydney, because it's fucking hot up there.
>>
>>50812286
It's Aussie living in yankland I believe.
>>
>>50812585
No, they're in Australia, jimmy said as much one time.
>>
Jimmy the catholic is about to give us all this shit we've been waiting on for christmas. What a mensch.
>>
>>50810323
Yes, and no.
It can be used to refer to a specific type of angel, or the highest ranking angels.
>>
>>50812252
>>50812148
The Seven each created Seven dragons. Supposedly when the dragons died the first Zellislava were created from their remains and the first Zells emerged from the Zellislavas.

Yog-Yalang doesn't have any tribes of Zells, and that's implied to be because his dragons aren't dead.
>>
>>50812148
>>50812252
>>50816059
>There are. Supposedly, each of the Seven Gods of Chaos had seven dragons. These things might be called dragons, and they vaguely resemble them, certainly, but it might be better to think of them like Old-Testament angels. Things that are literally impossible to envision, but then they're there, and they're the size of the sky.

>Legend says they were slain eons ago, and that from their ruined corpses that fell into the sea, the Zells emerged. One tribe for each Dragon that perished.

>Yet, there are only 42 tribes of Zells. Yog-Yalang has no tribes. Poor, poor Yalang has only those Zells who seek him out, none of his own.

>The more traditional dragon stereotype is called a Drake in Tattered Realms, and they are believed to be fleshy simulacrums of the original dragons, somehow produced by their dying.
>>
>>50816522
So there are seven dragons still out there. Nice.
>>
>>50819010
Or Yog-Yalang is 3lonely5me or just straight dead so he doesn't spawn Zellislava followers.
>>
>>50816522
Forgot how much I love the lore of this game.
>>
>>50819808
Jimmy does seem to have a gift in that department.

>The machinegun can be disassembled into five parts, each of which weighs between 20-30 pounds, including the tripod. These can be assembled quickly by a trained crew, but it does still require that five men each carry a ~25 pound load of hardware, plus ammunition.

>The Rahoos do believe quite strongly that the machinegun is the primary weapon of any infantry formation, and see nothing wrong with the idea of half of a squadron being devoted entirely to carrying it. Many of them don't even carry rifles or sidearms, they just carry ammunition for the machinegun and rely on it, and the 3-4 riflemen and their squad leader to protect them.

>What one must understand about such a system is that a .50 caliber machinegun overpenetrates like a son of a bitch. There is no hiding from a .50. It can cut down trees, it can tear through any amount of shrubbery, it will cleave through multiple buildings, it will saw houses in half, it will perforate brick walls, it will penetrate vehicles, it will shoot down aircraft, it will penetrate ranks of men 30 bodies deep. Perhaps most importantly, its effective range is enormous. Attaching a scope to a .50 caliber machinegun, one finds that the weapon can shoot with remarkable accuracy for many thousands of feet. On the open plains of Desotia, where most troops are mobilized by horse or in trucks to begin with, this is a serious advantage. A BZK-50 on a hill can kill people in the next county. A small group of such weapons could defeat a division-strength enemy caught on the open.
>>
>>50820002
>>The katana can be disassembled into five parts, each of which weighs between 20-30 pounds, including the tripod. These can be assembled quickly by a trained crew, but it does still require that five men each carry a ~25 pound load of hardware, plus ammunition.
>>The Rahoos do believe quite strongly that the katana is the primary weapon of any infantry formation, and see nothing wrong with the idea of half of a squadron being devoted entirely to carrying it. Many of them don't even carry rifles or sidearms, they just carry ammunition for the katana and rely on it, and the 3-4 riflemen and their squad leader to protect them.
>>What one must understand about such a system is that a katana overpenetrates like a son of a bitch. There is no hiding from a katana. It can cut down trees, it can tear through any amount of shrubbery, it will cleave through multiple buildings, it will saw houses in half, it will perforate brick walls, it will penetrate vehicles, it will slash down aircraft, it will penetrate ranks of men 30 bodies deep. Perhaps most importantly, its effective range is enormous. Attaching a scope to a katana, one finds that the weapon can cut with remarkable accuracy for many thousands of feet. On the open plains of Desotia, where most troops are mobilized by horse or in trucks to begin with, this is a serious advantage. A katana on a hill can kill people in the next county. A small group of such weapons could defeat a division-strength enemy caught on the open.
>>
>>50820050
You forgot, as I did when I originally wrote that, the intro paragraph.

>The Rahoos do believe quite strongly that the Katana is the primary weapon of any infantry formation, and see nothing wrong with the idea of half of a squadron being devoted entirely to carrying it. Many of them don't even carry rifles or sidearms, they just carry blades for the Katana and rely on it, and the 3-4 riflemen and their squad leader to protect them.
>>
>>50820002
How would you assault positions if half of your men are unarmed and all of them are exhausted from lugging around an M2 and the many hundreds of pounds of ammunition for it that they would likely be carrying?
>>
>>50820234
Well one would imagine that is just a problem and a gap in their capabilities and that's okay.

Quite often of /tg/ we treat a setting idea as unrealistic or stupid just because they have something we see as not being able to work. However the entire nation of Italy has been a victim of this is a stunning variety of ways since it's inception and if it were a fictional state we would call it some dumb shit.
>>
>>50820234
Use the half of the men who aren't doing that, duh.
>>
>>50820234
Everyone in the setting lives on flying islands, so presumably you do it from your airship in a boarding action with your MG squad providing cover fire to the other guys who charge
>>
>>50820298
>using rifle-caliber munitions against an airship
Enjoy dying from whale radiation
>>
File: 300px-Schenkopp[1].jpg (18KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Schenkopp[1].jpg
18KB, 300x225px
>>50820357
I had meant ship to island assaults. Ship to ship is done ye olde fashioned space homo way. With axe, armour and the smell of blood in the air. I thought everyone knew this.
>>
>>50820664
And submachine guns and shotguns. That too.
>>
File: img000004[1].png (294KB, 844x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000004[1].png
294KB, 844x1200px
This just in, little Ainu girl kills Jimmy Rome. Kickstarter delayed forever, fans unsurprised.
>>
File: 1482293445167.jpg (271KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482293445167.jpg
271KB, 1280x720px
>>50820833
>Bring down stick on the seal
>It turns, ignoring the club as it bounces from his speckled head
>"Hey guys. Um... (audibly pauses to swallow) I know this is.... Notsomethinganyonestalkingabout but I... Just wanted to say... That this eats at me. (more swallowing) Did... You know... That seals... Have a skull density higher... Than any other animal... Mammal rather [GUNSHOT VOLUME COUGH] that lives in the ocean? Relative to its body weight. Seals are known to be highly resilient to clubbing, unless they're Socialists, in which case they starved to death years ago. Which brings me to another point"

Jimmy sounds totally different from how I imagined him. I always thought he'd talk really fast because he's Californian.
>>
>>50820913
the funniest thing about Jimmy's voice is just how ciggyburned it is.
>>
>>50820924
Wish I knew how the faggot quit, this shit is impossible.
>>
>>50820973
Replaced it with an addiction to cute Greek slave boys.
>>
File: Ogdru_Jahad.jpg (298KB, 877x529px) Image search: [Google]
Ogdru_Jahad.jpg
298KB, 877x529px
>>50812148
>>50816522
>>50819010

OBDITH YUG JAHOOD
>>
>>50820833
source?
>>
>>50820002
Have to comment on this, a bit. During my conscription in Finnish army, I was in combat pioneers a team leader for "itikka", or "mosquito": 12.7 ITKK 96, which is basically Russian NSV with tacticool mods.

Now, .50 BMG is nato cartridge with the dimensions of 12.7×99mm. The 12.7 ITKK 96 uses the same diameter cartridge, but the length of it is 108mm. Why? Because soviets designed it.

I'm going to try and remember everything from the top of my head, but I believe...

The mosquito itself weights 25kg
The baby cradle for it weighted 22 kg
The barrel for mosquito weighted 9kg, and there were two of them for hotswapping
The tripod weighted 21,9kg? Maybe? I know it was 21,something.
The 50 piece belt weights 7,7kg and a canister of belt weights 11kg

This all plus our personal weaponry, which was the basic jaeger loadout, was a 3 man job when attacking, 2 man job when defending.

What I'm getting at is that Rahoo a bitch.
>>
>>50821754
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjL5zdyRUE0
>>
File: itkk.jpg (2MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
itkk.jpg
2MB, 3888x2592px
>>50821813
>>50821754
>>
>>50821856
Truth to be told, they would be more effective defending team if the guy posing with the rk would sit in the hammock. Some wood, even if wet, ain't gonna do shit to compensate for the recoil.

That's one trick we used to get under the deadlines of getting the mosquito up and running for defense. Grab everything with the other guy, haul it all into a good position, smash everything together and then I hop into the hammock and he starts shooting while I provide additional eyes and compensation for the recoil.
>>
>>50808205
But Thrones are of the first sphere, directly serving God.
WTH is he doing ruling mortals on a planet like some third or second sphere chump?
>>
>>50822027
>directly serving God.
That's what they are doing. He explicitly gave them this order.

>>50820234
Unless it's a real fortification that's going to need artillery to take down, just use the .50 to kill people through their defenses.

He did also mention that this strategy came about because of the open nature of warfare on the vast plains of Rahoo, and that in other terrain they've had to adapt to using submachineguns and the Assault Assault Rifle Rifle. I don't think he intended this to be the bestest ever top tactic, but rather it's flawed nature makes it more believable. I'll wager that there are quite a few tactics from WWI/II that would seem unrealistic and odd if viewed without context.
>>
>>50822393
The whole point of the Rahoo is that they're a gigantic mess who have too much fun fighting endless race wars and selling guns to one another to ever have any real effect on the greater Void.
>>
File: 1466255230291[1].png (136KB, 769x654px) Image search: [Google]
1466255230291[1].png
136KB, 769x654px
>>50821574
Golden Kamuy, it's gud. I think it has a good grasp on its tone, and the characters are great.
>>
>>50820833
Why exactly is Jimmy a seal?
>>
>>50784781
Is that actually Jimmy?
>>
>>50822393
>Assault Assault Rifle Rifle
I had momentarily forgotten about this.
>>
>>50822864
Well, Zachary Irwin follows him and we all know who he is.
>>
Programanon, I know it's almost Christmas, but the document is mutating beyond my ability to control it.
It's taking on a life of its own.
help
>>
>>50822864
All of his strange personality traits fit. Also it sounds like the voice files we already have.
>>
>>50821754
That's actually astounding. Why the hell do you guys carry around an MG that size?
>>
>>50826215
To shoot bears and trolls, I guess
>>
>>50822421
It's AnCap North America, with everything that implies. I don't know enough about American geography and history to get the jokes that are being made about the individual states, though.
>>
>>50826570
Part of it is. Jimmy mentioned a Bakuninan enclave existing in Desotia, which is variety of Communism distinct from Marxism in that it actually works. It seems like it's divided up into a bunch of microstates who only ally together out of fear of being conquered.
>>
>>50826215
For the same reason the Rahoos do, presumably. High caliber MGs can tear through cover like a bastard and can shoot down aircraft, and have really long range.

A well positioned man with a gun like that in the dense forests of Finland could kill people on a Simo Hayha-like scale, while also potentially shooting down helicopters and carving up soft-skinned vehicles. For pioneer troops it'd be even more useful since they're the guys who are supposed to be building fortifications and killzones and such. Nothing worse to run into while climbing a steep hill in the middle of the Finnish winter than some asshole with a huge machinegun on the opposite hill face and the sun at his back.

And in all, if you CAN field a gun that size in an infantry squadron, you probably should. The only limitation I can see would be logistical.
>>
>>50826215
It's lot of bang for buck. You spend time training three guys with good backs and you get 12.7x108mm booletz going at direction you want with fun frequency. Mainly for harassing helicopters and creating rather accurate fuck you support for the rest of your ground forces to whatever goal is needed.
>>
>>50829425
>Logistical
That's the fun part of it, really. You could carry the thing on only so many attacks until you create a love-hate relationship with the ergonomics of carrying the mosquito.

It's fun because it hurts.
>>
>>50825730
>>50822864
Not to mention that he says, "Hey guys, itsjimmy," at the start.
>>
>>50831872
No, he says "it's not Jimmy", but since we know Jimmy is a liar that means it's Jimmy.
>>
>>50831872
>>50832167
>I've had to make a company before
>>
Is there a sort of "comparison guide" for what stats represent? Like strength 4 is "human average," and then 10 is "human maximum," but is there any sort of "here's what a dude with strength 7 looks like" anywhere?
>>
>>50833176
No, because the stats are pretty arbitrary. Most women will probably have Str 2 or 3, most soldiers will probably have 5 or 6, but there's no real meaning of what Str is except that it lets you cut people better
>>
>>50833264
Kay. I'm debating the merits of hacking SoS and CotV to use it for a Halo tabletop game. Spartans beating the shit out of insurrectionists is too delightful to not run in SoS.
>>
>>50833352
You, I like you.
>>
>>50828072
>communism
>distinct from Marxism
Do you mean distinct from Marxism-Leninism? Because communism doesn't theoretically exist without Marx
>>
>>50821952
The hammock?
>>
>>50823073
What's the joke?
>>
>>50834259
Beneath the gun there's a hammock where you put heavy shit to serve as a sort of ballast for the gun, stabilizing it. Guns with lower tripods generally don't need this but elevated guns do.
You can see it in the picture full of wood.
>>
>>50834276
The Rahoo ASGR is a copy of some Chironite gun. ASGR stands for "Assault Sturmgewehr Rifle," with Sturmgewehr being the original Chiron designation of the gun. The problem is that Sturmgewehr, apparently unbeknownst to the engineers who copied it, means "Assault Rifle."

So translated into English the weapon's name is Assault Assault Rifle Rifle. It's also a really retarded copy because the Rahoos couldn't figure out what an intermediate cartridge was, so they just chambered it in a huge pistol round and figured that was close enough. So it's more like a really overbuilt SMG than an assault rifle.
>>
File: seal approves.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
seal approves.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
>>50820833
stop bullying the seal
>>
>>50834744
Look, when you're on an adventure seeking lost Ainu gold, you've gotta expect to club a few seals to death. Comes with the territory.
>>
File: 20000_Nautilus_engines.jpg (508KB, 962x1400px) Image search: [Google]
20000_Nautilus_engines.jpg
508KB, 962x1400px
Ships when Jimmy? I need to get my Nemo on.
>>
>>50836634
Be nice to Jimmy, he's probably struggling to put together a Christmas miracle not realizing that the Australians celebrate Christmas during June because of their reverse calendar What do you mean this isn't how it works? My proof: the Soon™ening won't happen until mid-2017
>>
File: moon.jpg (65KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
moon.jpg
65KB, 288x288px
>>50747964
>"Oh I don't think you'll have to wait a week, either way."
>Dawn of the 7th day

Jim, we joke but we're very excited. I hope your holidays are going well and that we're not being too terribly difficult on you. Please know that we love your game and we really just GIVE US THE FUCKING UPDATE YOU GODDAMN COMMIE
>>
>>50833352
Oh neat. I'd like to see that when it's done. But would Spartans be at 10 or above it? Not sure if they are "human maximum" or beyond.
Since it really depends on how you interpret it. "Human Maximum" could mean the maximum a natural human can achieve (which I assume it means) or what's ultimatively possible with genmods and stuff.
>>
>>50837510
Doesn't blood magic let you exceed your race's maximum anyway?
I'm pretty sure 'Human Maximum' is just 'natural' maximum
>>
>>50821573
is that sum lucifer
>>
>>50837510
I'd assume Spartans would well exceed 10.
>>
>>50833872
>>50837510
Hey, >>50833352 faggot here. I was kinda going to wing the strength thing and just run the math to see at what point an unarmored spartan can one shot an unarmored human with a punch and then double that for when they're in armour. I really want to play a game about S-IVs beating up insurrectionists in grorious meree combatuu.
>>
>>50841247
An unarmored human will on average have 4 toughness and 2 armor (counting cloth).

Assuming absolutely no talents, no Superior Straight Punch, and only one BS, to deal a level 5 wound with a Straight Punch, a Spartan would need 14 Strength (4-5+1-2 = 5-7 damage reduction, so the Spartan needs to inflict 10-12 damage. Since Straight Punch has -2 damage, that's 11-13 STR+1 BS}
Assuming Superior Straight Punch, that drops down to 10-12.
With any sort of metal gloves or brass knuckles or similar, it's down to 7-9 STR.
And mind, this is with 1 BS. Assuming an average punch of 5 CP (for Flickering Jabs), that's 3 successes, so only 5-7 STR necessary, assuming no defenses.

Of course, you could just use Hook Punch with Smash Punch instead, which would put you down to only needing 2-4 STR to do a Level 5 Wound with 3 BS (which to be fair is 6 CP instead of 5 now)

+2 Smash
+2 Metal Glove
+2 Superior Hook Punch (One from Superior Gauntlet punch, one just flat)
+3 BS

=8 Damage before STR, and you only need to do 10-12 Damage

Fighting against Unarmed opponents is a joke, and so is the damage formula
>>
>>50842634
>>50841247
Do Spartans have that enhanced bone structure hardness thing? They might count as have brass knuckles built in.

I would personally stat them on the 11-13 range for str.
>>
>>50842634
>4 toughness and 2 armor (counting cloth).
Normal clothing is only 1 armour.
>>
>>50842830
All bludgeoning AVs get a bonus vs unarmed.
>>
>>50842809
Spartan bones are supposed to be next to unbreakable. I figured it would be easy enought to have them ignore damage from maneouvers that hurt you when you use them and maybe from unarmed parries as well. I mean, some of that damage would be soft tissue, but I thought most of the risk in punching someone in the face was the chance of fucking your hand up.

>>50842634
Thanks for running those numbers for me. Thought I have no idea where flickering jabs or smash punch are in the book. I didn't see them listed in unarmed maneouvers, are they talents?
>>
>>50842850
Flicker Jab and Smash Punch are both Talents, yes.

>>50842830
True for normal clothes, but I figured I might as well toss in the extra point to take into account potentially higher Toughness, and things like thick, hi-tech winter clothing

>>50842844
I didn't use that rule for cloth, since that bonus is a flat +4 to AVB, meaning the Spartan would need to have the same amount of STR as calculated before, but they were trying to hit an elderly baby with brittle bone disease instead
>>
>>50842634
Just for fun, since you seem like you know what you're doing, how brutal would a strength 12 Spartan throwing someone be? Assume only 1 BS.
>>
>>50843053
>GRAPPLING: THROW [X+2]
>Type: Universal, Grapple, Advantage
>Requirements: Grappling, have Advantage.
>Maneuver: Grapple Attack at HA Reach at Throw TN 7 with X dice.
>Success: Opponent is rendered prone, and suffers falling damage as though falling a number of feet equal to (5+STR+BS)x2 onto whatever surface they are being thrown upon. (See falling damage in Chapter XX for more details).
>Grapple ends unless the Takedown maneuver is used. If the Grapple ends, the Reach of combat is set to your choice of Reach from HA to L.
>Special: If you have Pinned one of the target's body parts and successfully Throw the target, you may move the result on the Falling Table by 1 per body part Pinned.
>The +2 Activation Cost for throwing on the ground includes the penalty for being on the ground.
>Superior: You may re-roll on the Falling Table to see where damage is inflicted.

Assuming 1 BS, that's (12+1+5)x2 = 36 feet

Assuming they land on straw or mud or soft sand or any similar soft ground, that's 1 damage per 8 feet, so this is a measly 4 damage, because you round down.

Now of course, falling damage isn't reduced by AV or toughness, so that's a level 4 wound. Oh, and of course, you take damage to adjacent areas too, so it's at least 1 Level 4 wound and 2 level 2 wounds.

Let's say he lands on his left forearm, because that's not too gnarly, right?

Level 4 Left Forearm
Level 2 Left Hand
Level 2 Left Upper Arm
15 Stun
22 Pain
8 Bleed
Autodrop anything in the arm
Difficult Surgery vs. Crippled Limb

And that's like, the last bad thing that can happen. If you throw a dude on straw.
Falling onto an armored man would be 3 level 5 wounds instead

And this is assuming 1 BS, which is odd, because when Grappling, you add your STR to your CP, so the Spartan would have his proficiency+ADR+STR to throw with, although it doesn't matter much, because he's probably juts gonna do level 5 wounds all over the place anyway
>>
>>50844005
yeah, throwing is kinda broken right now.
>>
>>50842916
>AVB has a flat +4 against unarmed attacks
Wait, what? Why not just set the damage of the unarmed maneuvers to -4 STR triggered then?
>>
>>50844063
What's there to gain from doing that? It's essentially the same.
>>
>>50844063
Because then you have -4 STR when hitting unarmored areas
>>
>>50838340
It's Hellboy mang
>>
>>50844063
Literally hitting like a girl.
>>
>>50844005
You're ought to be using the Grappling update. The grappling rules in 1.9.9 are outdated.
>>
Does anyone here know where the word "Juggernaut" came from? Dreadnought seems pretty obvious (dread-nought, dread-naught, dread-nothing, fear-nothing) is Juggernaut an equivalent?
>>
>>50847320
Apparently it has it's origins in Sanskrit. I'm not going to parrot Wikipedia because that's pleb as fuck but it basically means World-Lord
>>
>>50847320
>>50847737
Dictionary.com says, "Also called Jagannath. an idol of Krishna, at Puri in Odisha, India, annually drawn on an enormous cart under whose wheels devotees are said to have thrown themselves to be crushed."

Which is pretty metal.
>>
>>50845520
Fett's Grappling Revision? Not that guy, but I'll give it a read and see what happens.
>>
>>50849841
Might be this. If so;
>GRAPPLING: TOSS [X+2]
>Type : Universal, Grapple
>Requirements :Have initiative, be Trapping a body part, both you and target are Standing.
>Maneuver : Grapple Attack at HA Reach at Arm Toss TN 7 with X dice.
>>Success : Target is rendered Prone, and takes falling damage to the Upper Back as if they fell
[(STR+BS)*Y] feet. Y is 1 by default.
>Special : Slam: When declaring this maneuver, you may spend 2 CP to increase Y by 1. Y can only be
increased this way up to a maximum of ½ STR.
>Superior : You may render yourself Prone to increase the distance fallen for your opponent’s Falling Damage by your TOU + half your Weight not counting what's in your hands (Sheathed Polearms only count half their weight).

1 BS means that the person tossed by the Spartan is rendered prone and takes [(12+1)*1] or 13ft worth of damage. Or 1 whole damage. Not very special. But if the spartan were to say, Slam his foe as hard as he damn well could, by spending 12CP to increase Y six times for a Y total of 7 1 BS means the person tossed by the Spartan takes [(12+1)*7] or a whopping 91ft of damage. Onto straw, this kills the crab with 11 DAM, un-resisted by armour or TOU. Just shy of the holy 22 Damage they would need to be able to destroy a weak zombie. Of course, this is only with 1 BS
>>
>>50844901
But cloth is armor under SoS ruled as having AVC/AVP/AVB 1/0/1 and thus it confers +4 AVB vs. Unarmed, making a loincloth the difference between a kick in the hay, and exploding gonads
>>
>>50850508
Word of God is the +4AVB only applies to Hard armor.
>>
File: goose.jpg (75KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
goose.jpg
75KB, 960x640px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VOjPOBz9M4
Merry Christmas lads.
>>
>>50852098
コレは酔っ払ってないときのジミーローム。メリークリスマスYou god damn maniac.
>>
>>50852098
Happy Christmas Jimmy.
>>
>>50852242
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1pKO13S0Spr

Very good moonspeak, very good.
HOWEVER
>>
>>50852278
That's almost savage, Mike
>>
>>50852336
Pence was the Shitposter to surpass Metal Gear before Twitter existed.
>>
>>50844005
The bottom of the new grappling doc has a new falling damage formula that accounts for armor slightly
>>
>>50850569
That makes sense.
>>
File: orda.jpg (427KB, 1119x1298px) Image search: [Google]
orda.jpg
427KB, 1119x1298px
Orthodox bump
>>
File: achaemenid_chariot.jpg (77KB, 600x403px) Image search: [Google]
achaemenid_chariot.jpg
77KB, 600x403px
>>50852098
Merry Christmas Jimmy.
>>
>>50852098
Feliz navidad eta urte berri on, boss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R2zvyhHJ9J0
>>
>>50852098
Is the gift that we get Song of Swords eventually?
>>
File: surfing_santa.jpg (267KB, 640x442px) Image search: [Google]
surfing_santa.jpg
267KB, 640x442px
Merry Christmas Cunts
>>
>>50864172
Who are you calling a cunt, you ass-gobbling faggot?
>>
>>50864452
You, you shite-for-brains blaspheming cur.
>>
File: 1482433060705.jpg (359KB, 1280x1156px) Image search: [Google]
1482433060705.jpg
359KB, 1280x1156px
>>50852098
Merry Christmas Jimmy.

And Merry Christmas you crazy band of fascists, socialists and lolbertarians. This is the weirdest crew I've ever run with, but you're the best, bar none. No community more welcoming, less retarded, or with a worse sense of humor.
>>
>>50864899
Mele Kalikimaka, motherfuckers.
>>
>>50864899
>not saying merry Christmas to the constitutional conservatives too
;_;
>>
>>50864899
Congratulations on another Christmas.
>>
>>50866019
He said Fascists, that covers you guys, right?

;^)
>>
Character Sheet when?
>>
>>50868514
What exactly would you even want in a character sheet?
>>
>>50868748
A sheet
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.