[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I really like the IDEA of roleplaying, but disliked every

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

So I really like the IDEA of roleplaying, but disliked every game I played. It was either too gamey or too boring, and I was never able to fully express my character in a way that's fun for everybody.

I've tried DnD 4e and 5e and high fantasy and post apocalyptic (mad max) GURPS

Have I not found the right game yet or am I just not fit for roleplaying?
>>
>>50737851
Play something rules lighter and more narrative heavy.
Imagine a triangle chart with "gamey" "simulationist" and "narrativist" at the points. D&D is a grid based tabletop tactics game with some roleplaying elements injected like a bad botox treatment. GURPS is simulationist to the max. Try Fate (or Fate Accelerated), or something Powered by the Apocalypse, or even Cortex+.
>>
>>50737851
To be fair, DnD in general tends to attract or even lead to very gamey mindsets. As for GURPS, I can't say.

It could be mostly likely column A, but some more specifics would be nice.
>>
>>50737851
>It was either too gamey or too boring
The key is actually getting a good GM who makes time for clever stuff, rather than being all about the combat grind.

I'd recommend something in 40krp like Rogue Trader, with a GM who knows the lore, and is basically running a simulation of the world for your party to play with.
>>
>>50737851
RPGs are not for you. Join the community theater group instead. Or LARP.
>>
>>50737851
You've had shit co-players, or shit GMs. That's all.

D&D attracts awful people. As for GURPS, I've had normal experiences there, so I think you just had bad luck.
>>
>>50737880
>The key is actually getting a good GM who makes time for clever stuff, rather than being all about the combat grind.
This, and-

>>50737993
>You've had shit co-players, or shit GMs. That's all.
-this.

You need to find better groups that focus on the style of play you want (which sounds heavy on roleplaying + character development and some focus on the story and world). Though certainly system has some influence on playstyle and the game's focus, a system change will not solve this core issue of a difference in playstyle.
>>
>>50737851
try different gaming groups, and different systems if available.

RPG flavor can vary widely from group to group, don't give up on watching movies because the first film you watched happened to be QUEST FOR THE MIGHTY SWORD or TROLL 2.

i used to game regularly with a d&d group, and a different white wolf group. completely different experiences, one was a gamey group and the other was full of dramafags but both were fun in their own right.
>>
this is probably the best rpg i've ever played

https://1d4chan.org/images/7/70/EVERYONE_IS_JOHN.png
>>
>>50738053
Barely an RPG at all, but yeah, fun game.
>>
>>50737851
If you're approaching it like you would writing a prose character, with dramatic arcs and development, that's almost never gonna work out. When you have five people trying to interject exactly what they do to get out of the room before it fills with lava, it's hard to have much nuance.

Try a game where you don't take the character so seriously.

I think the business about finding a group that matches you perfectly is overrated. This hobby is usually best done with friends you enjoy outside the game.
>>
>>50737851
>I've tried DnD 4e and 5e and high fantasy and post apocalyptic (mad max) GURPS

Now you only need to experiment with 3.PF and F.A.T.A:L. and you've pretty much played the worst of the worst when it comes to RPGs.
>>
>>50738170
>GURPS
>Bad

I honestly don't understand this meme.
>>
>>50738170
Cool bait or retarded opinion bro.
>>
File: a cool faggot.jpg (104KB, 496x600px) Image search: [Google]
a cool faggot.jpg
104KB, 496x600px
>>50737868
Listen to this guy.

>>50737896
Ignore this guy.
>>
>>50737851
Try 3.5e or Traveller
>>
>>50737851
>I've tried DnD 4e and 5e
Damn, that means you've exhausted almost every option.
>post apocalyptic (mad max) GURPS
I'd say the problem in this case is that post-apoc doesn't offer a whole lot in terms of options. Options are something you have when there are both sufficient resources and situations have several angles of approach, which once again requires the issue to have many facets and therefore sufficient resources.
>>
>>50737851

OP, go play OSR.

It's a perfect mix of gamey and roleplaying. Especially if you get one of those gonzo GMs who like to do fun and interesting stuff.
>>
>>50737851

Rules aside, the problem with DND is, I think, simply how LONG fighting is. Don't get me wrong, it's not like in Dungeon World combat isn't the center of the stage, but if your average turn is 2 minutes per person, there simply is not much anything to do after that.
>>
>>50737851
Did you try theater?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.