[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic in an Arthurian setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 1472729046812.png (759KB, 400x782px) Image search: [Google]
1472729046812.png
759KB, 400x782px
I've been working recently on a 5th edition adaptation of the Pendragon roleplaying game. Nothing too fancy just a couple of pages of fluff and mechanics I wrote up. However, I am at a dead end when it comes to magic and how it works exactly. What I want to know is a few things ...

>How do people learn magic?

>How is magic researched?

>Are magic spells written in books or stored somewhere else?

>What forms does magic take?

>How would a 1st level wizard learn magic?
>>
>>50737102
>adapting a heroic romance to 5e
>not using the basically perfect Pendragon rules
>trying to shove Vancian casting into Le Morte d'Arthur

JUST
>>
File: The White Lancer.jpg (495KB, 650x389px) Image search: [Google]
The White Lancer.jpg
495KB, 650x389px
Reading the Romances and Chansons de Geste that make up the Matter of Britain makes one thing very clear to us: Magic isn't a system.

It appears randomly and never in the hands of the protagonists. Saxon sorcery in the earliest texts, the Fey grants their gifts to their half-breed kin like the old King of Cornwall who rides a magical horse, mysterious sages like Merlin who never hand out any of their secrets.
>>50737329 is pretty much right. 5E is not meant for Chivalric legend. Do pendragon or even The Prince Valiant Storytelling game, which I myself am running a Arthurian campaign in.
If you want to include sorcery in any of those systems, I found that having 'Magic' ability be a reward for having completed a quest that pushes a skill one step above what is actually possible, and tie it into the mythology.
In Prince Valiant, the max skill on can have is 6, but I allow players to do quests to push those to a seven, which other than just add one mice dice give them 'magical' ability.

Examples would be: a 7 in Naturalite, the knowledge of the woods and wilds, gave a player the mythical ability to commune with the birds, an idea taken from proto-norse legend.
Smithing 7, which a player learnt from a Finnish Giant, led him forge truly magical weaponry, with the right materials of course, etc.

Just don't make magic commonplace. It should be rare, mysterious and scary. Fighting a sorcerer is an epic level quest, even with a full party.
>>
the Arthur myths aren't D&D buddy, there aren't wizards wandering around doing wizard shit all day. Merlin is the only male wizard to begin with and even then calling him 'wizard' didn't come until much later.
>>
>>50737102

>Being this retarded.
>>
>>50737102
what are you trying to do here?
Morgan le fay learned magic from a nunnery, Merlin was half-demon, everyone else is a fay sorceress
You realize in general in King Arthur stories there aren't Hogwarts and wizards zapping each other all over the place right? Pendragon itself goes into a great amount of detail explaining how 'magic' works.
>>
File: MerlinExcalibur.jpg (152KB, 909x791px)
MerlinExcalibur.jpg
152KB, 909x791px
Watch Excalibur. Pay close attention to Merlin and Morgana, especially Merlin's words about "The Dragon".
>>
>>50737102
You have a game that does exactly what you want. Use that rather than trying to shove a fundamentally different kind of game into D&D.
>>
>>50738522
I really like this approach to skill bonuses. Very clever, anon.
>>
>>50738522
Are you looking for players, anon
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.