[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Catman Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 44

File: tabaxi concept art.jpg (173KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
tabaxi concept art.jpg
173KB, 1536x864px
>Latest News
Monk UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: >>50727485

There's a single-file HTML page with all the monster stats in the Mega under Extras, it's worth checking out.

Give me your favorite combat encounters.
>>
4e is the superior game but the playtest for 5e could have been the best.
>>
File: RED STUMP.png (34KB, 198x174px) Image search: [Google]
RED STUMP.png
34KB, 198x174px
>>50735927
Thousands of them.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Second call for ideas for a chef/monster hunter type

Variant Human, taking Gourmand feat from UA at level 1. Ranger probably focusing on Beasts or Monstrosities.

Anything I'm missing or might be more fun?
>>
>>50735956
Pretidigitation is a must. Unless you want to constantly annoy your party about needing salt,sugar,spices.
>>
File: Shevara - Erinyes Blackguard.png (174KB, 464x1543px) Image search: [Google]
Shevara - Erinyes Blackguard.png
174KB, 464x1543px
>>50735927
Throwing this at the players as a DM was fun.

Toss players into one another for maximum fuck.

They fought her at 9th level, so it nearly killed a few of them. Good times.
>>
>>50735956
Take revised ranger, it's just better in general.
But that's probably the best combo for a chef/monster hunter.
>>
>>50736054
Under-CR'd by ALOT.
>>
>>50735927
Favorite combat encounter I've ever run was a big set-piece opener to a campaign. Players were trying to fight their way through a clusterfuck of kobolds and dragon-worshiping cultists to the docks in order to escape from a dragon that was torching the town. Burning rubble everywhere from buildings collapsing, peasants and livestock running around panicked, town guards accomplishing dick all in terms of fighting off the invasion. All of this was happening right at the crack of dawn, with the sun shining from behind a mountain across the bay, so it was in the party's eyes the entire fight. They managed to make it to the docks and cast off in a tiny fishing boat, but not before a lucky crit from a kobold's sling took the fighter down to 0hp.
>>
>>50736062

>Revised Ranger

Yeah, that was my idea, I should have specified. I've heard it's much better than the default option.
>>
>mfw my player's +2 drowcraft armor and weapon is destroyed by 1 hour exposure to Dawnbringer

+2 was too much anyway, OotA is a bit too generous with magic items IMO
>>
Thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZlYGN5W2Yg
>>
>>50736073
Probably; I never bothered to correctly calculate it. The party has some decent gear and I'm the dreaded 1-2 deadly encounters rather than a full 6-8 spread DM.
>>
File: fucking invincible.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
fucking invincible.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
>>50736086
Almost forgot the look on my face image
>>
File: marderarmy.jpg (249KB, 1038x1023px) Image search: [Google]
marderarmy.jpg
249KB, 1038x1023px
>>50735922
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejyBcX_gUNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRcz4DZwew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIqu0dpdYfA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JAOKfX1F8A

>captcha is now asking me for images that "feel romantic"
>forces me to select three when the two it's clearly gunning for (tables with plates and wineglasses) are brightly lit and set for like 10 people are obviously NOT romantic
FUCK YOU, GOOGLE
I CAN'T TEACH THE COMPUTER SUBJECTIVE CONCEPTS LIKE THIS
>>
>>50736114
But anon, google is asking you what is love.

Don't hurt it.
>>
>>50736054
Whats with the weird Saving Throw bonuses? You only put them after Saving Throws if they differ from their ability scores i.e with proficiency or magical items

Why Dex +4 when she only has 16 (+3) Dex? Or Wis +4 when she has 14 (+2) Wis?
>>
>>50736132
>WHICH OF THESE NINE IMAGES IS LOVE
>this one
>SELECT THREE
>but there's only one "love" image
>BZZT, SELECT THREE
>uh okay here
>BEEP. LOVE IS DININGWARE. NOTED
>>
>>50736144
>implying monster saves (or AB for that matter) have to match proficiency and stat mods
>>
>>50736149
>>50736114
I'm expecting a future captcha to be

>SELECT THE IMAGES WHICH ARE HUMAN WEAKNESSES
or
>CIRCLE THE POINT ON THE BODY WHICH CAN CAUSE THE MOST PAIN WHEN STRUCK
>>
File: 22.png (778KB, 581x824px) Image search: [Google]
22.png
778KB, 581x824px
Is it just me, or does the left seem stronger even with the lower stats (and lower CR) ?
>>
>>50736149
Maybe you don't know love and Google is trying to teach you. Huh. Bet you never thought of that, you hateful thing you.
>>
File: emotionlocations.jpg (57KB, 750x565px) Image search: [Google]
emotionlocations.jpg
57KB, 750x565px
>>50736171
>>
File: 1458675312288.jpg (88KB, 459x409px) Image search: [Google]
1458675312288.jpg
88KB, 459x409px
>Kamen Rider
>>
File: foghornleghornhey.jpg (25KB, 512x372px) Image search: [Google]
foghornleghornhey.jpg
25KB, 512x372px
>>50736181
Unless Google is Mormon I don't see how a table set for 20 in broad daylight is romantic
i say i say i say that's a polyamory joke
>>
>>50736161
There's no reason not to. If you want it to have those Saving Throws then just bump up the ability scores, its not like you will even be using skills and an extra +1 or +2 to Insight or Sleight of Hand won't end the game

On the other hand, if you want her to be stronger defensively then add proficiency

Why even mention Con +4 in the Saving throws when her Constitution ability score is +4
>>
>>50736179
It has three turns, its ridiculously strong
>>
File: Let it die.jpg (407KB, 1477x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Let it die.jpg
407KB, 1477x1080px
What are some good tutorials or guides on how to make a good dungeon /5eg/ ? I'll start out small but someday I would like to make a mega dungeon as big as 'The tower of barbs' from 'Let it die'.
>>
>>50736179
sauce?
>>
File: 33'.png (1015KB, 698x901px) Image search: [Google]
33'.png
1015KB, 698x901px
>>50736250
Inevitables from Planar Bestiary from the dmsguild.

Not really worth the price unless you are running a lot of outer planes stuff like I do (even then it's debatable). If you want anything just lemme know I can drop one or two stat blocks.
>>
>>50736212
Having spent a lot of time unfortunately on NWN PWs I can tell you this is a terrible idea.

>hrm these players are kicking the snot out of my event monsters
>i should just give them more HP
>let me bump up the CON
>oh there goes the potential for any caster to land a con spell
>hrm they're just getting knocked down eternally, let me increase their AC
>only way to do that is by bumping DEX i guess
>oh the casters can't dps them now, oh well
>boy this one guy is impossible to hit and he's tanking everything
>better increase the monster's AB
>gotta bump STR to do that
>whoops, he's doing way too much damage per hit now and just deleted five other PCs when he switched targets

It's a fucking monster. Its secondary and tertiary statistics can be whatever the fuck and completely divorced from the primaries so as to better reflect intended creature balance and whatever racial or background modifiers should be appropriate. Just because the undiscerning clowns in charge of the MM don't have the time or inclination to delicately tweak each individual creature doesn't mean you have to be a lazy fuck, too.
>>
>>50736179
Left seems like a boss encounter in it's own hard to find and access lair.

Right is somewhat more deadly than it seems with a 50ft hover, 20hp/r regen, and double cast disintegration ray seems nasty.

But the left can teleport and do something twice, whereas the right can only just teleport OR do something.

An unprepared party will NOT be killing either of these if they can't drop it in a single round due to the plane shift abilities.
>>
>>50735956
Ask your DM if you can put Gentle Repose on your spell list, just so you don't need Ritual Caster to preserve meat.
>>
>>50736283
>i should just give them more HP
>let me bump up the CON
Ooor you could just give them more hit dice.

>let me increase their AC
>only way to do that is by bumping DEX i guess
Ooor you could increase their natural armor/upgrade their armor/give them a shield.

>>50736101
>I'm the dreaded 1-2 deadly encounters rather than a full 6-8 spread DM.
That's also me whenever the party is travelling, otherwise either it would be too easy or wouldn't make sense. Though it can cause some unnecessary deaths (I'm looking at you, giant spider/ettercap encounter!)
>>
>>50736282
Anything cool in the Challenge 3 - 6 range?
>>
What type of DM would you rather have?

Safe DM:
>Adheres to the rules of CR Encounters
>Fights always mathematically balanced and straightforward
>occasional bad/good rolling changes the difficulty

Risky DM
>Eyes the encounter to the mood of the plot
>sometimes easy encounters, sometimes HARD encounters
>Boss fights require prep or death
>>
>>50736630
Risky all day every day, but with players that understand what the dm is doing.
>>
>>50736630
Personally I'd prefer the latter.

The safe DM is fine for new players/new DMs though, or groups who collectively agree they want more story/heroics/whatever.
>>
>>50736630
risque 9 times out of 10 please.

the other 1 time is when i want to playtest something.
>>
>>50735954
Not this time
>>
>>50736662
Ha.
You've been played.
>>
>>50736630
I feel like I'm the second one
>>
On Samurai level 15, can you roll the first die and then decide or no?
>>
>>50736673
Dammit
>>
>>50736762
Of course not
>>
>>50736762
Why would anything about a samurai in a WotC game ever be the better option among possible interpretations?
>>
Need help fleshing out a build, but basic Premise is Tabaxi monk 17 & 3 levels of Swashbuckler, take Defensive duelist feat, wield shortsword, seems like you could hit people and use stupid speed + bonus Ac from hitting someone to kite the fuck out of things and use the parry to add enough AC for things that might hit you
>>
>>50736630
I'm the second one, but I always still use kobold.club to have an estimation of what I'm throwing

>Boss fights require prep or death
Heh. When my players walked in to fight an adult dragon for the first time, they only did it after casting Protection from Energy (on two different PCs) and Stoneskin, having the fighter drink both a potion of Flying and a potion of Cold Resistance, AND asking a friendly NPC to cast Fly on one of them. And even then they still made the dragon waste his first breath weapon and were lucky that it didn't recharge until the 4th round!
>>
>>50735950
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...no.
>>
>>50736860
meant to add that it's Kensei monk
>>
>bard get find steed, aura of vitality, and contingency with magic secrets
>contingency has a range of self (no range modifier in parentheses) http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/20/find-steed-spells-that-target-only-you/
>aura of vitality can target you - a spell with a range of self targets the caster http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/12/spell-range-self/
>aura of vitality can be used with contingency
>contingency duplicated on steed
>trigger contingency
>aura of vitality occurs on you and your steed respectively - it doesn't target others (because the casting of the spell itself can only be self)
>both you and your steed are now fonts of healing energy
hehe
>>
>>50736995
>Using a 1-hour ritual and both a 3rd and a 6th level spell slot to cast two 3rd level spells

That doesn't seem worth it to heal an extra 2d6 while preventing your mount from dashing.
>>
>>50737030
Contingency can sit on you forever dude
>>
>>50737042
Contigency lasts for 10 days, but as soon as it's triggered you then have 1 minute of double Aura of Vitality as long as you maintain concentration.
>>
>>50737057
and so does your steed
>>
>>50737065
Why would you ever want to burn a 6th level spell slot just to cast a second Aura of Vitality?
>>
>>50735950
what is this first post 4e meme

is OP just trolling?
>>
>>50737079
Because I can cast it before I leave a city, gain *both* slots back on my next long rest, and then have two great spells available for free for the next 10 days?
>>
>>50737081
Literally just a shitposting meme.
>>
>>50737088
Why not just contingency something more useful like a Mass Cure Wounds that doesn't require weird mount contingency shenanigans, bonus actions or concentration?

18d8 + ~25 burst healing
vs.
Aura Of Vitality
40d6 over 10 rounds using two creature's bonus actions and requiring concentration
>>
>>50737112
>mass cure wounds
Because read contingency again
>>
>>50737121
Oh, that's right. I guess it's a good way to store up healing.
>>
>>50737139
Yeah - especially out-of-combat.
Average of 140 healing that you didn't have to use any spell slots for for the effective adventuring day.
That's really solid
>>
File: vsbhaUGCdcusabh.jpg (435KB, 500x648px) Image search: [Google]
vsbhaUGCdcusabh.jpg
435KB, 500x648px
Any tips for running this in 5e?
>>
File: 1425287703049-1.jpg (49KB, 450x750px) Image search: [Google]
1425287703049-1.jpg
49KB, 450x750px
one of my players is saying that college of swords (from the kits of old UA) blows college of valor out of the water.
how the fuck is blade flourish better than combat inspiration?
>>
Yo. So I've never played a ranged elf. Doing that now, went with a homebrew class that feels an awful lot like a valor bard, started lvl 5. what the fuck am i supposed to do? Do i really just pick up sharpshooter and double attack unless a spell would be better? whats better than (1d8+dex+10)*2 per round?
>>
>>50737359
Post the homebrew class.
>>
If I know a spell from another class that is also on the wizard spell list yet not in the spellbook of my wizard, can I put that spell in my spellbook...?
>>
>>50737265
It's not.
>>
>>50737428
nope.
>>
>>50737484
that's what it's looking like to me, which is kinda hilariously silly lol
>>
about to start a 5th edition game as a player after years of being DM

I've really wanted to play a Dwarf Cleric, which Domains are the best/most fun for support/tanking?
>>
>>50737533
life nature grave protection forge war probably
>>
File: Xiyou.png (3MB, 1677x2387px) Image search: [Google]
Xiyou.png
3MB, 1677x2387px
On a scale of 1/10 how dumb of an idea is a Shillelagh main Druid who beats niggas to death with a stick instead of shapeshifting as their main weapon?

Can you use Shillelagh while shapeshifted if the animal form has hands?
>>
>>50737651
It's dumb but it's the lovable kind of dumb. If you've got hands with thumbs, go for it. Become the monkey king.
>>
>>50737651
Unless your DM allows it while shifted, it would probably be better as either Monk with magic initiate/ Druid1 monk rest, or just play monk.

As much as I love shilelagh, druid has no extra attacks and it doesn't scale like other cantrips. Best you could do would involve PAM and after a certain point you'd be better off casting. It would be okay for a certain few level without shapeshifting.
If your DM allows it while shapeshifting, as well as PAM while a monkey, it could actually be incredibly strong if there is any decent CR apes, or just work with your DM to make a decent one.
>>
>>50737670
Yeah that's what I was leaning towards, except the Lizard King since I've yet to play a Lizardman, (Or any other beast-race for that matter).

Can a non-human Druid shapeshift into a Human form?
>>
>>50737376
Its the shadowcaster class anon posted here a while back. Went with the shadowblade archetype. Picked up the Armor of shadows, Night's Long Fingers, and Body and Soul paths. Figured since I wouldn't be maxing int id get buffs that dont need it.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkaciQ1L
>>
>>50737244

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/194633/Classic-Modules-Today-S3-Expedition-to-Barrier-Peaks?term=expedition+to+ba&test_epoch=0
>>
>>50737688
Humans aren't beasts, would take alot to convince your DM that they are different enough to allow that. I might steal the idea for the monkey king though.
>>
>>50737710
>humans aren't beasts

Aren't we though, anon?
>>
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere:
>You can refrain from firing the globe after completing the spell, if you wish. A small globe about the size of a sling stone, cool to the touch, appears in your hand. At any time, you or a creature you give the globe to can throw the globe
>You can also set the globe down without shattering it. After 1 minute, if the globe hasn’t already shattered, it explodes.
Does that mean you can only hold on to the globe for a minute anyway? Or is the 1 minute limit only for setting the globe down?
>>
>>50737803
Yes. Then it explodes in your hand if you're still holding it.
>>
>>50735927
How would you unfucked the Berserker path?
>>
(Had to fix a bug with legendary actions.)

New version of bestiary.html, with some layout improvements and presentation of the source book that each monster is from.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157339657594601472/259608693082030080/bestiary.html
>>
>>50737856
fukken neat. Nice job anon.
>>
>Monk UA tracks

Wow, it's fucking nothing
>>
>>50737988
>Kensei 3/War or Tempest Cleric X
>>
>>50737850
>Allow it to remove exhaustion on a short rest rather than long
or
>Make Frenzy Rage a 1/short rest thing, no exhaustion
And perhaps make Intimidating Presence something they can use as a bonus action?
>>
Paladin UA on monday, what are we expecting other than disappointment?

Oath of Freedom?
>>
File: starwars.jpg (17KB, 299x159px) Image search: [Google]
starwars.jpg
17KB, 299x159px
>Open ended freedom
>Encounters aren't random as often as they are simply locational
>not a hugger, totally expect the PCs to get in over their head at times and run, suffer, etc.
>They have an uncanny sense for !~danger~! that keeps them out of trouble, and then come up with perfect tricks to overcome obstacles that are way out of level

ARGHGHRhhhhhh :DM shrieking noises: hhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrhhhhhh rrrrrhhhh :more heavy breathing:

(pic related, it's the players)

I don't remember having this trouble outside of 5th edition. Is this bounded accuracy at work?
>>
>>50736221

honestly read some of the WotC dungeons and try to understand how they work

my only other advice is to make a dungeon feel alive but to not make it complicated
>>
>>50736878

i wish my players were that careful
>>
>>50738086
I... don't see the problem there? You wish you had unprepared PCs that keep getting in over their heads?

>>50738114
I guess that's what happens when no encounter whatsoever is a cakewalk for them, they've learned to expect difficulty. Thankfully they have fun that way, and so do I. Hardship and struggle, as long as it's not unfair, makes victory that much sweeter.
>>
>>50738086
>come up with perfect tricks to overcome obstacles that are way out of level
I have the same issue, the problem is you're one head vs 4+, so if you say "yes" too often you're not going to win in that scenario. Try not to let the players plans work out flawlessly, always add in some contingency if you can think of one, sort of like the first scooby doo trap that always inevitably fails at first, and then they have to fix it in the heat of the battle.

Speaking of DM help, my players recently caused a pair of trolls to gain 2000 gold. They also killed the son of one of the trolls, so they have a personal vendetta against the party. My question is, assuming they find a seller who doesn't care they're dealing with trolls, how powerful can a couple trolls become with 2000 gold? Should I go with magical items, or should they fix up an abandoned stronghold and fill it with beasts and guards and traps, and lure the party in?
>>
Anons? Long story short, I want to update an obscure race from 3rd edition called the Caliban to 5e. Would this thread be the right place to share my efforts and get critique on balancing them?
>>
>>50738265
Your work will be criticized, harshly. Take all negative comments with a grain of salt. But yes, have at it.
>>
>>50738265
Everyone will just call it shit but yeah go ahead.
>>
>>50738279
>>50738281
Alright. Due to size, I figured I should just post the GDoc here, but if that's too complicated, I can try and repost them here on the thread.

To summarize things, Calibans are magical mutants, with a wide variety of hideous but useful deformities like extra limbs, changing type to Aberration, metal bones, etc. Back in 3e, there was both a "generic" caliban racial profile, and five subraces reflecting relatively stable strains of caliban.

Banshees are gothic beauties with an innate tie to necromancy. Bestials are all the various man-beasts you can imagine, from the amazing wolf-girl to the astounding ape-man. Brutes are huge, hideous and powerful hulks. Cannibals are slinky, predatory, murderous bastards. And Witchspawn are born warlocks/sorcerers, complete with the standard fiendish/satanic marks like witch nipples, horns and hooves for feet.

So, the bulk of the racial traits are based on subrace, and I tried to include some sort of negative racial ribbon with each one. It's something that I know needs work, but I really need help cooking this up properly.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#heading=h.8qluse8hxr2
>>
>Hold Person targeting any non-high wis score humanoid
>Paralyzed
>Incapacitated
>Attack rolls have advantage
>Any attack that hits from an attacker within 5ft, automatically a crit
>Half-Orc greataxe barbarian, a valor bard, and pact of the blade warlock
>They jokingly call themselves the lumberjacks before things even get started
>There are lots of hill giants and ogres around

They act like they didn't plan this out, but I'm on to them
I know they are in collusion against me
>>
I was making a Path of the Zealot Barbarian for an upcoming game and I'm down to two gods to follow, Ilmater or Anhur, my curiosity for Anhur however, is the limbo in which the state of Mulhorand is left in, I know the spellplague wiped it out, but I'm unsure of its status or the status of the Mulan people who rose against the Imask culture. If anyone knows 5e's explanation for this that would be super helpful.

Oh, and how do you feel about the two choices, having a tough time here.
>>
>>50738328
Too bad for them, Hold Person doesn't work on hill giants or ogres. Since they're giants. Not people humanoids.
>>
>>50738193
Javelins covered in deadly poisons.
>>
>Want to take advantage of break over Christmas to write up a new setting to start up a new group
>Feel conflicted about writing a setting without knowing who will be playing aside from two close friends

Is it a terrible idea or would you think it'd be okay as long as I'm willing to cut/add to it?
>>
>>50738318
First off, 5e races usually don't have negatives like you've done, and they don't really seem necessary.
>Banshee
AoE damage -and- fear is a bit much, would probably change it to just the 1d6 psychic at least. I don't understand why they would have disadvantage on disease and poisons for being necromantic, if anything that should help them shrug that stuff off?

>Bestial
Seems like a worse lizardfolk, honestly. 11+dex AC and 1d4 unarmed vs 13+dex and 1d6 bite. Treetop mutation is the only one that seems a bit too much compared to the others, give them only one skill proficiency or buff winged and loping a bit. Assuming you don't care about making these guys unique, you could just make them very similar to lizardfolk from volo's guide.

>Brute
Again, very similar to Goliath, but this time set apart enough that I'd say this one's good. A more offensive than defensive goliath, would play

>Cannibal
Half of this stuff sounds like it would fit the banshee more. I don't understand why they'd get the first two features. I'm going to assume it was just adapted from whatever their 3rd edition features were but the second feature still seems odd.

>Witchspawn
Hexcrafter should probably be specific spells - if a race gets more than one spell from a feature then they shouldn't be customizable as well.
Blood Magic sounds interesting but abusable in a very un-5e way. If I were doing homebrew I'd leave this race as is because I like this type of theme. For balance purposes outside of my own games, I'd probably change it so they can regain a spell slot or use of one of their Hexcrafter spells by sacrificing a hit die, instead of being the strongest nukers at a very minor expense of eating up the healer's level 1 cure wounds during short rests
>>
>>50738455
get something going and start playing right away and make it up as you go
>>
>>50738455
Get them involved in it somehow so their characters can have deep connections that flow naturally, and you can focus on making stuff for the other players when they join
>>
>>50737683
This kinda makes me want a Shillelagh Gish Druid.

How's this sound for a general layout?

>Level 2
>Learn Shillelagh for free, if you already know it you can learn another Druid cantrip
>Lets you use Shillelagh while wild shaped, changes Wild Shape from a full creature to more of a Lycanthrope-ish half-beast, maybe make 3~5 special creatures for it for easier balancing with different specs, (tank one, damage one, speedy one, with higher CR ones for higher levels)

>Level 6
>Shillelagh improvement, either an extra attack or damage increase

>Level 10
>Some kind of half-shifted improvement, or maybe EK's War Magic

>Level 14
>???
I got nothing that'd be balanced off the top of my head.
>>
>>50736114
I prefer this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui9LAHX7dHU
>>
Would it break anything to allow Witch Bolt's secondary damage to scale with slot level?
>>
>>50738724
no since the spell would still blow donkey dick
>>
This game is geat and you are all lovely people

Besides the 4e guy and the catgirl race posters
>>
Is there any particular noncombat spells a sorcerer should take?
>>
>>50738756
diamond pickaxes
8 int wizards
soloing monster dens
>>
>>50737856
Needs the ability to sort by CR and creature type pls
>>
>>50738757
>Dependsontheparty.wav

Sometimes haste is great if you have enough martials, sometimes you want hut if you have more casters, etc.
>>
>>50738757
twinning haste is the main reason I play a sorcerer
>>
>>50738757
Sorcerers get absolutely shafted in out of combat stuff

No ritual casting is bad, but the sorc doesn't even get many utility spells

No leomunds no identify no alarm etc

They get some like detect magic, comprehend languages water walk but have fun burning slots on em when you completely lack slot upkeep and the Wiz can just take a knee and cast way way way more utility spells for free without even needed to prepare them

Sorcerer has such stupidly small amount of spells known that you're already going to be short on spells you want for combat before we can even talk about utility stuff.

Tldr sorcerer is a joke; comparing a wizard to every class is dumb but sorcerer is nothing but a strictly worse in every way Wizard that gets metamagic gimmicks they can do a couple times a day
>>
>>50738765
I did not include that group as they are not people; simply digital manifestations of the meme collective we subconciously generate in our correspondance with one another on this underwater filipino rock painting census forum
>>
>>50738806
Do you think there's an another plane made of memes?
Like feywild but cringier. Ruled by immortal shitposters.
>>
>>50738790
>>50738789
>>50738784
So aside from Haste, fuck it, combat all the way?
Rest of the party is Fighter, Rogue, Monk, and Bard, if that's any important.
>>
>>50738819
Yes, my child. It is the domain of the immortal shitposter-baron god-monarch Virt, the forsaken shitposting herald of the 5th edition general

His demi-lord captains, like the level 3 Kobold Slayer, bane of Kobolds who fight in groups of no more than 3, enact their Baron's will and seek to engulf our glorious general, one of the sole bastions of sanity in the void of /tg/, in their all-encompassing shitposts.

We few are chosen; we are the once and future anons, the stalwhart sentinels of the 5th edition general. We must never falter, for the shit-poster baron, the god-monarch, the bumper of bad threads, he whose name shalt seldom be utterred, is eternally seeking passage back to our realm.
>>
>>50738837
Haste is purely a combat spell I dunno why people are using it as an example
>>
>>50738905
Well, I guess 'direct damage-dealing' is more applicable.
>>
>>50738837
Sorcerers can have a shitload of cantrips, make sure to get minor illusion, prestidigitation, message, mending, and make use of those. I also suggest Invisibility, Suggestion, Fly and Polymorph, because you can twin those.
>>
>>50738975
Unfortunately I've already got four cantrips, and I doubt that the DM will let me swap them.
And I'm the only fucking person in the party with normal vision so that doesn't help any
>>
>>50739026
Then you could take Magic Initiate for a couple more cantrips and some utility spell. I suggest going wizard for Find Familiar, which gives you a great deal of utility and scouting. Just be a pal and don't use it in combat.
>>
>>50739140
The character's already been made and such, or do you mean multiclassing in to Wizard?
>>
>>50739200
He means that you could take the feat Magic Initiate instead of an Ability Score increase, if your DM is allowing feats.
>>
>>50737683
>decent CR apes
I thought max CR for wild shaping is 1.
>>
>>50739200
>>50739140
Actually, assuming you do mean multiclass, would taking 2 levels in to Wizard be worth it for the benefits you get at that level? I'm going to have a lot of AoE spells, by the looks of it.
>>50739276
Oh, is that it? That does make sense. Though, taking a level or two in Wizard doesn't seem bad either way.
>>
>>50736187
>love's dick is on fire
kek
>anger isn't white hot
That nigga only mildly annoyed.
>>
>>50739313
I meant the feat, yes, It doesn't set back your progression as taking 2 levels in wizard would, though it might be justifiable. You thinking of taking the evocation school, I imagine?
>>
>>50739285
Circle of the Moon. Welcome to the Jungle.
>>
>>50739400
Right you are, the ASI and Sorcerous Restoration don't look too fantastic to me, though losing that second 7th-level is sad.
I've already had like three cases of friendly fire in the first like, two sessions, so yeah.
>>
Does anyone have the shop list? I need it bad
>>
>>50739467
I think you don't know how multiclassing works. Read the entry on multiclassing in the phb, you won't lose out on any spell slots if you multiclassing between 2 casters. The only thing that changes is when you learn spells and the class features you get.
>>
>>50739467
The worst part is not losing those last features, but delaying your next ones. Even if your spell slots are unaffected, multiclassing wizard 2 means you will always be a whole spell level behind and will have to wait longer to gain access to all sorts of cool shit. On the other hand, that would give you tons of utility from 8 wizard spells, especially all those rituals. Mage Armor (or Magic Missile if you're draconic), Shield, Absorb Elements, Detect Magic, Alarm, Identify, Find Familiar and Comprehend Languages would be my picks. Then you could swap out all your 1st level sorcerer spells, leaving room for more spells of 2nd level or higher.
>>
>>50737651
Alternate forms are for meat sponging and applying conditions, like prone or grapple.

While I'm sure there's some bullshit animal form out there with 22 Strength or something, you may not ever see one, and even without that your AB can probably get higher just pumping Wis and using a club and shield. You may not do as much damage as a wolf or bear on each hit, but not missing is something to consider. Also, magical weapons and feats.
>>
File: Lilim.png (1MB, 1240x1262px) Image search: [Google]
Lilim.png
1MB, 1240x1262px
>>50735927
Criticize my homebrew races!
http://pastebin.com/1ecrVTKt
>>
>>50736630
Risky + CaW playstyle. If I find myself in a fair fight, I'm not trying.

Of course, I'm stuck as an eternal GM with tactically inept players. I've considered putting players through 4e game to teach them some tactics through pressing easy-to-use-buttons, but... that would mean running 4e game. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>50739338
It's an aggregate heat map of all (male) respondants.
>>
so me and some friends played the dnd starter kit and we had a great time playing, but now two of my friends want to get together for another dnd match. the thing is while the starter story is fun once i dont really wish to play it again, and additionally while i was the dungeon master i admittadly didnt read the rules or anything before we started playing so i had to make up a lot of stuff on the fly, not only storywise but also when it came to the games mechanics.

firstly can someone recommend a story or something like that that we could play, or should i make up one on the fly? , and secondly how can i get good at dming regarding the mechanics.
>>
>>50736995
>>50737030
>>50737057
>>50737065
>>50737079

And the effects of 2 AoV's don't stack, as they are the same spell.
>>
>>50739404
So the limit is CR 6 stuff?
>>
>>50739467
Oh, and this is assuming I'll be keeping the character around that long, too. It's only level 3 right now.
>>50739501
I am new and tired so that's not out of the question. So, wait, if I take 2 levels in to Wizard as an 18th level Sorcerer, do I still get that last 7th-level spell and Sorcerous Restoration? It doesn't seem like it in my eyes so far.
>>50739552
So, basically, do it if I feel willing to wait for those extra bonuses?
And how is it 8 wizard spells? Even with Magic Initiate and 2 levels in Wizard, you'd only have a total of four first-level spells, right?
>>
>>50739578
Try a mostly on the fly one, for your exercise in making adventures. Pick an obvious setting (wintery icewind dale is nice this time of year) and go from there, keep it simple, give them a few fights and a couple of trapped doors. They'll be happy.

Phandelver is widely regarded as shit but the rules in there get you started. To get better at the rules, you've just got to read the rules repeatedly - google it every time you forget what passive perception means or whatever.

Don't worry about running your first half a dozen sessions with only half the rules, slowly build up what you understand and can operate - leave out optionals like exhaustion until the players are more advanced, anyway. I'm guessing they're starting on the same page as you. Go get reading though, as their DM you have a responsibility to be trying to run better.

t. similarly fairly new DM
>>
Why isn't the sexy new HTML monster list in the pastebin?

>>50739676
Since when is Phandelver regarded as shit? I see it recommended all the time to new groups.
>>
>>50739676
so do i just take my rules from the starter kit for now, and i guess just change the monster names and similar?

good idea, i definately want to try my own story but it seems like a huge task at first, especially with pacing and the like. With the starter kit i modified the story a bit and made it one of the best memories i have with my friends by making a lot of stupid and fun stuff happen, and i dont want to lose that momentum we had going sort of.

yeah were not even playing it for proper dnd or anything, its just fun and we dont care about the competive side or anything
>>
>>50739676
I haven't done it myself, but I thought most of /5eg/ recommends Phandelver for newbies, not just for the rules.

>>50739578
If you keep making up rules on the spot, you'll eventually run into problems.
You may accidentally imbalance a class, limit options or promote doing certain things (I remember when I first did 5e, the DM thought grappling someone gave advantage or some big benefit against them, or maybe that was with grappler feat's ability to restrain grappled targets. That's a trap anyway since you can shove a grappled target.)

You can survive perfectly fine by continuing to make things up, as long as you don't play with people who're used to the system. People who're used to the system will find problems when what they want to do which is normally allowed isn't allowed, or when people do things that they shouldn't be able to do, which might strike nerves with them.

You only need to read maybe half of the PHB to get all the core rules, though. Read it.
>>
>>50739629
>Do I still get that last 7th-level spell?
Yes, that is correct. Levels from all spellcasting classes stack to determine spell slots. Paladins and rangers count for half levels, EK and AT for a third, and warlock doesn't stack because it doesn't have the "spellcasting" class feature. Unless I'm much mistaken, beginning at 15/2 you can even learn 9th-level sorcerer spells.
At 18/2, you'd have 18 sorcery points and your capstone Sorcerous Origin feature.
>>
>>50739629
>>50739753
I think I was much mistaken.
The rest is accurate, though.
>>
>>50739629
You don't get Sorcerous Restoration. Seriously, read the section on multiclassing, it's not hard. It's literally 2 pages. Make sure to pay special attention to where it says "spellcasting". I would spoon-feed harder but I'm phoneposting.
>>
>>50739753
You're mistaken. Spells known/prepared are only ever as though you were single classed.
>>
>>50739629
If you multiclass you do not get the last ASI and Sorcerous Restoration, but you still get the extra 7th level slot. And read again the spellcasting feature for wizards. They get to write 6 spells in their spellbook at 1st level, then 2 more spells with every level afterwards.
>>
>>50739762
I thought I didn't get it, it didn't make much sense.
>>50739798
>>50739761
>>50739753
Either way, thanks for all of this! I'll look in to it more when I'm more well-rested.
>>
>>50739567
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/ nice ideas, this seems like the type of website you'd be interested in
>>
>>50737244
Well Volo's Guide has almost all of the enemies from it.
>>
Just to make sure I got this right: Empowered Evocation adds to all three magic missiles, but only one Scorching Ray?
>>
>>50739626
Yep, so stuff like mammoths
>>
My Moon druid just reach level 7. Should I polymorph myself into a Half- RedDragon Giant Ape and piss off our sorcerer with 16d6 fire breath?
>>
there this resource awfully similar to the new bestiary posted yesterday. Hope it serves you well in your adventures!!

http://chisaipete.github.io/bestiary/

>>50737696
>>50737359

bumpin for advice regarding a ranged valor bard-like class
>>
>>50739892
Is it a CR 2 beast?
>>
>>50739898
The search is really nice. Any way you can make the stat block appear without changing pages, though? (I mean, obviously there is, but I'm asking if you're willing to put the extra work in)
>>
>>50739951

Its actually not mine, just an acquaintance on a friendly discord server. I'll ask him when he wakes up if he's willing to put in a little more effort though. No promises.
>>
>>50739862
Yes.

To put it in a better way, empowered evocation doesn't add to all three missiles. The damage is determined and you add empowered evocation to that, and then each missile is a copy of that damage roll. So, it only ends up being applied once, yet it deals a total of [INTMOD]*(Number of magic missiles) due to empowered evocation.
>>
>>50739892
Firstly, Giant Ape is CR 7. Half-red dragon giant ape is certainly higher CR than that, so you can't. Secondly, stop it with the half-dragon polymorph/wild shape bullshit, no DM would let that fly.
>>
>>50739892
I'm surprised you have seen a red half-dragon ape.

Which is something you need to have done to wild shape into it.

Good luck with that.
>>
>>50740122
Half-Dragon template doesn't increase CR if you're a huge creature of CR 7 or higher.

>>50740136
Polymorph spell doesn't require you to see the target beast.

>>50739925
Polymorph spell let you transform into CR = level.
>>
>>50738455
Go for it dude. If you're wanting to make a setting for a group, don't worry too much about whos playing. Besides, two players is fine if for some reason you can't find more.
>>
>>50740154
>Half-Dragon template doesn't increase CR if you're a huge creature of CR 7 or higher.
I highly doubt it. A Giant Ape has a damage output per round of 44 (two fist attacks). A half-red dragon giant ape has a DPR of (56*2 +44*2)/3, which equals 66. That means his Offensive CR goes from 7 to 11. That's a big difference. Fire resistance won't hurt its Defensive CR, either.
>>
>>50735956
Revised ranger Hunter and multi with rogue for survival expertise.
>>
>>50736187
>Shame is spiderman
>>
>>50740154
Everything seems in order then as long as the template doesn't change the type to dragon and the DM doesn't make half dragon apes not exist in his setting
>>
>>50740272
Read the freaking errata.

> Challenge: To avoid recalculating the creature’s challenge rating, apply the template only to a creature that meets the optional prerequisite in the Table: Breath Weapons below. Otherwise, recalculate the rating after you apply the template.
>>
>>50736187
>>50740331
I'd be ashamed too. The only superhero movies worse than his are the Fantastic 4 attempts.
>>
>>50740395
>gargantuan creature of CR 8 is still CR 8 even after gaining the breath weapon of a CR 17 monster
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with that at all!
>>
To resolve an argument at the table right now:

A griffon currently in the air attempts to swoop down, grapple a medium-sized humanoid, hoist them high into the air, and then drop them from on high.

Exactly what rolls should be required from both sides, and how many rounds would this sequence of events take?
>>
>>50740594
Normal grapple rules. Griffin flies at half speed carrying after the grapple. Freely drops for standard fall damage
>>
>>50740594
opposing strength checks and then a potential dex save to take half damage from the fall
>>
>>50740611
>>50740644
Thank you. Very fast and helpful.
>>
>>50740594
Griffons target makes a check to oppose the griffons grapple.
On a fail the target is grappled and the griffon moves with it for half movement speed then the target makes an accrobatics check to reduce fall damage.
>>
>>50740594
The griffon moves to the spell, makes a normal grapple attempt. It can then move at half speed up. If it had any leftover movement the turn of the grapple, divide that by 2 to figure out how much it can move after.

For each turn the ape takes while grappled, it can attempt to escape by either shoving the griffon away, or making a grapple escape attempt, see grapple and shove rules.

If the ape has multiattacks, it can shove once for each attack it could otherwise make. It can also just attempt to kill the griffon. This escapes the grapple.

When the ape escapes or the griffon let's it go, it falls. For each ten feet it falls, it takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage. It also must make an acrobatics check (DC you set, but I recommend 5+5 per ten feet) to avoid falling prone.
>>
>>50736054
Needlessly high HP with a self regen ability.

Fun.
>>
File: LoT2_Chara_Cirno_Stand.png (252KB, 489x599px) Image search: [Google]
LoT2_Chara_Cirno_Stand.png
252KB, 489x599px
Stat me, /5eg/!
>>
is 5e best e? was considering 4e, 3.5e and also 1e
>>
>>50740931
The best edition for what?

It's very good at what it does, which is a minimalistic approach to modern RPGs. There's still a focus on character builds, but with Proficiencies and Advantage mechanics, the game isn't bogged down with the complexities of 3.5.
>>
>>50740910
Str: maximum
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 6
Cha: 16
>>
>>50740978
just how bad is 3.5e? it seems a few "veteran" players stick to it like the bible
>>
File: 328.jpg (23KB, 600x354px) Image search: [Google]
328.jpg
23KB, 600x354px
>>50741006
>Str: maximum
You, I like you
>>
>>50741022
How bad is it at what?

There's no way to objectively score a system. Every system is good at something and bad at other things. 3.5 and Pathfinder are very good at complex character builds and character options. There's a lot of mechanical features and complex rules that people can master, and there's a lot of extra splatbooks full of content.

It's also a very rules-heavy system for these same reasons, which doesn't appeal to everyone. In the same manner, there are a lot of sub-optimal character builds that result in underwhelming characters, so being inexperienced with the system may result in a bad character.
>>
File: Sol armored up.jpg (328KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Sol armored up.jpg
328KB, 724x1024px
/5eg/,
you have 10 levels to play with.
how would you stat the Greek God, Apollo?
Right now I have light cleric 9/archery style fighter 1. Anyone have a better idea?
>>
>>50741151

Half elf, elvish weapons training devotion paladin
>>
>>50741022
>it seems a few "veteran" players stick to it like the bible

Most all of those veterans started D&D back in the early 2000's. D&D was super popular in the 80's but went into decline before being bought up by WOTC and releasing 3e in 2000, where it experienced something of a resurgence. The d20 systsem also ensured there was a D&D-ish rule set for every single game franchise out there.

The end result was a shit-ton of players whose first (and only) exposure to D&D and RPGs of any kind was 3e/3.5e. It's all they know. It's what they always come back to. It's their first and forever; their one and only.
>>
>>50741151

Well he's the patron of Medicine, Poetry, Music and Archery.

Going Half-elf Thief 3/Battlemaster 7 should be optimal.
Put expertise in Medicine (Wis) and get the healer feat for Healers kit bonus actions.

Battlemaster gets tool proficiencies as well so grab caligraphers and carving stuff to cover the art part.

Half elf grants you 2 extra skills as well.

Or you could go straight Valor Bard 9/Fighter 1.
>>
>>50741256
>first and forever
>one and only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c
>>
>>50739723
>>50739734
>>50739751
I realise it's rather late but the story of phandelver is poor, it's a real "starter" adventure.

Rulebook works great for introductions and the story gives you a skeleton, as one guy said, to flesh out as you please. First party I ran, first game, phandelver - its not awful, maybe shit is a bit harsh, but not exactly compelling.

Go for it your way, probably don't need to reskin many monsters unless you want a pirate setting or something specific. Good luck to you
>>
File: sol concept.jpg (55KB, 420x600px) Image search: [Google]
sol concept.jpg
55KB, 420x600px
>>50741274
>>50741232

only problem is he's already established as protector aasimar.

DM is allowing respecing at 10th level for the party to a point. other PC's are subbing out a few levels here or there, but I don't think changing race is gonna fly.
>>
>>50741357
Protector Aasimar can work.

Post stats man, or can we allocate for you?
>>
Whats the best multiclassing for lore bard's notorious 19 and 20 cancer levels?

Considering Sorcerer, Knowledge or Trickery Cleric, or Warlock
>>
>>50741357

Then Light Cleric 8 Ranger 2 might be your best shot
>>
File: Cirno 143.jpg (145KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Cirno 143.jpg
145KB, 400x400px
>>50741006
Tomboyish Ice Fairy
small fey, chaotic neutral
AC 13
Hit points: 33 (5d8+20)
Speed: 20ft, fly 50 ft. (hover)
Str: 6
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 6
Cha: 16
Damage Resistances: cold
Senses: passive Perception 8
Challenge: 1 (200xp)

Actions:
Icicle shot. Ranged spell attack: +5 to hit, 60 ft, one target. On a hit deals 10 (3d6) cold damage.
>>
>>50741397
Warlock is the best 2 level dip.
>>
>>50741432
Ah crap, it's 5d8+10, not 5d8+20.
>>
>>50741357

Oh, why didn't you say so. Easy as pie, Valor Bard, with Sunblade, Destructive Wave and Cordon of Arrows for his L10 mqgic secrets
>>
>>50740910
LMAOOOIIIO muh references lmao!!!!!!
>>
File: Sol Manticus 9.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Sol Manticus 9.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50741395
>>50741429
here is the current build, bros.

down and dirty stat allocation is:
STR 10
DEX 16
CON 10
INT 8
WIS 19
CHA 16
>>
>>50737850
Allow the first exhaustion counter to be removed on short rests or reduce the effect it has
>>
File: no.jpg (17KB, 228x213px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
17KB, 228x213px
>>50738021
calling it now
>ranged paladin
>>
>>50741493
Sorry if I'm retarded, but how do you have an Attack Bonus of 10 with a longbow?
>>
>>50738021
Well, paladins already have a ley on hands type health pool they can use to heal people, and an anti undead feature, but I wouldn't put it past those hacks to make a paladin subclass that can channel divinity to either heal people out of another dice pool, or use those dice to deal bonus necrotic damage, in the name of hunting undead of course.
>>
so I have a player who is a high elf noble warlock who's patron is the arch fey. My question is, how much would elven society know or deal with the fey? Would they know a lot or very little? My game is set in Faerun, and there will be a location in the High Forest...where there are elves and fey creatures. Or is the Feywild separate from the fey of the material plane? Just wondering what is known and not known by these creatures and my potential PC in my game.
>>
>>50741493
you only get saving proficiencys from the first level you get. Not from multiclassing. Which makes the choice of first level that more important
>>
>>50739982
If not, ask him if he can create a copy of the source code and give me access. I'm an unemployed programmer.

>>50740401
Back up, what do you have against Spider-man 2? Unless you mean everything since that, in which case yeah, shit sucked.
>>
>>50741493
What horrid mess am i looking at?

>Dumping Int

>Having multiple casting stats that high

Here's what i'd do in your place...
Valor Bard 6/ Dragon Sorcerrer 3/ Fighter 1

10 Str
20 Dex
10 Con
10 Int
10 Wis
16 Cha

Grab cure wound via magical secrets.
Use sorcery points to convert spells for heals.

Pros:
>MCing doesn't hurt your spell progression cause sorcerrer
>unarmoured AC that high
>Casting is SAD
>Decent Hp
>Gets extra attack
>>
For Kensai monk can I chose a hand crossbow to be one of my kensai weapons?
>>
>>50741493
Train in medicine. For shame, man.
Also, explain how you arrived at the +8 and +10 attack bonuses. Only the +9 makes sense to me.

>>50741509
Now now, let's not be hasty, anon.
Do it, bitch. I dare you.
>>
>>50741670
yes. But you don't chose kensai weapons. You chose weapons to gain proficiency with. If you multiclass fighter, every martial weapon is a kensai weapon for you.
>>
>>50741694
Cool I was thinking of doing funny things with a crossbow master, sharpshooter kensei monk
>>
>>50741713
>funny things
Do tell...
>>
>>50741551
It looks like a +3 Bow.
>>
>>50741354
>late
bro your within a few hours of the convo

phandelvor was my first dnd game, as it was my friends. It lets you do just enough in my opinion and of course its going to play terribly if you follow the strictest rules and have already read the 3 core books. As the dm for our game i didnt actually understand how most of it worked so i made up my own combat system based on a lot of the stat stuff that was there, and took the story on a skew.

cheers though, im trying to come up with a 5 hour story by tomorrow, ive got a lot of the guts figured out but no way to start the story and we never finished phandelver so i have no idea how to actually conclude a game of dnd, all i can think of is a meta ending where the characters are knighted or becomes gods or something like that
>>
>>50741682
>>50741551
my spear is a dex-based weapon my DM allowed, and I've got bracers of archery on. that's how I get the atk bonuses I do.

>>50741590
You're right, I'll fix it. desu it might be an unsaid allowance on my DM's part, since he keeps/checks over our sheets regularly and hasn't said anything?

>>50741620
Would be open to sorcerer, but Dragon ancestry doesn't track very well. I'm already an Aasimar who glows and sprouts wings...throwing a thin sheen of scales on top of that seems like too much body transformation.
>>
>>50737850
>Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, for the duration of your rage you ignore the effects of exhaustion and you gain an additional action each of your turns. This action must be used to take the attack action to make a melee weapon attack immediately when you become adjacent to another creature, even an ally. When your rage ends, you suffer one level of exhaustion.
probably going to go with something like that for the next campaign i do.
>>
>>50741737
Well not really fumy but with that you would have a hand crossbow that does the same damage as a heavy crossbow. Precise Strike, Sharpen the Blade, and Unerring Accuracy are definitely gonna get you the +15 damage from sharpshooter and I like the concept of a ranged monk
>>
>>50741824
>not being a golden scaly winged archer

>plays an Assimar and doesn't know how to angel

for shame anon
>>
>>50736114
I'll add on to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCSf3RFVdw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3HcfmPAxCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vds5cJ_RnAU
>>
File: sol concept 2.jpg (93KB, 436x600px) Image search: [Google]
sol concept 2.jpg
93KB, 436x600px
>>50741888
I did the Aasimar thing less for the angel angle, and more for the celestial/deity heritage. I left my backstory pretty open, but I think DM is building towards me being a child/reincarnation of Lathander?
>>
>>50741824
Bracers of Archery don't grant an attack bonus.

>>50741850
Sounds almost like a medieval gunslinger.
I like it.
>>
>>50740799
uh
>>
>>50741931
So?
Does having some golden scales here and there prevent you from doing that part?

Also another option is Sun soul monk 6/Light Cleric 3/Fighter 1

>burning hands all day long and being an archer who's imposible to hit because high AC and throwing back ranged attacks.
>oh and you can cast fist as well
>>
How do i get more non combat elements into my gameplay? as in should i just leave it as a puzzle for my pc to figure out or should i add dice rolls to it?
>>
What's the best premade adventure to run for a new DM? Not in terms of what's the easiest to run but the one that does the best job of teaching how to DM.
>>
>>50742117
Curse of Strahd

"there's a Vampire, go kill him" is as basic as it gets
>>
>>50739864
In the Kobold Press tome of beasts their is a CR 6 "White Ape" if he wants to beat stuff up with shilelagh.
>>
>>50738456
The racial negatives were intended to be a combination of flavor and balance, since some of these powers were, I feared, overpowered without something to balance them, ala Sunlight Sensitivity or Small.

So, you think that maybe I should just dump them all?

>Banshee
Banshees do have a necromantic affinity, but not actual disease protection. In fact, fluff-wise they're known for being frail and sickly, and they suffered -2 Con back in 3.5. They're essentially a race of Dirgesingers - or whatever that "necromantic bard" PRC was in 3.5. Debuffing their scream attack does sound fair, though.

>Bestial
Problem with these guys is that 1, as you've noted, they do have some obvious mechanical overlap with lizardfolk as "man-beasts who don't need artifice to kill", and 2, they do have quite a bit of variety in their possible themes. The Amazing Seal-Boy is not the same as the Incredible Wolf-Girl, even if both, thematically, are Bestial Calibans. Appreciate the suggestion that I should tweak their movement mutations.

>Brute
Glad that this one sounds okay. I was really struggling to make this one unique given we have half-orcs and goliaths, at the least, as "big bruisers".

>Cannibal
As I said above, Banshees are more "ghostly, eerie beauties", but these guys are more Lovecraftian Ghouls - slinking around in the shadows, eating corpses and murdering people. I actually need to double-check my lore to remember why I gave them It Will Not Die.

>Witchspawn
I'd love to give them more specific spells, but I couldn't think of anything. Since we've got the Abyssal Tiefling, who generates all three of its spells randomly each time it takes a long-rest, I figured a deliberate selection would be fair. Hmm... as for what to do with Blood Magic, it's a fair cop; your suggestion actually sounds pretty cool too, many thanks for sharing it! Maybe go with your take and leave the "you can burn Hit Dice to power up your spell-like abilities" aspect as a racial feat...
>>
>>50736179
What do you use to make custom stat blocks like these?
>>
I've been told that 5e draws from all previous editions to an extent. Can someone elaborate on this?
>>
>>50741598
>source code

the github link should be at the very bottom of the page.
>>
>>50742484
Yes, of course. 5e takes the best things of other editions, and does the opposite, while maintaining the worst things. This holds true for the last two editions, before that I lack the experience to say.

4e: instead of tactically rewarding combat, 5e takes the cooldown based design and turns it up to eleven, because anything interesting in 5e can only be done every six to seven fights. Unless you're a spellcaster, which brings us to:

3.5e: instead of having an amazing amount of content like 3.5e did, 5e has almost none. This didn't actually help balance anything, because 5e is back to objective caster superiority.
>>
If Paladin UA on Monday doesn't come with an Oath that's purely about defending life, I'm doing it myself.
>>
>>50742595
Arguably Oath of the Ancients is 80% about defending life and 20% about looking good while doing it.

>>50742576
>>>/4eg/
>>
>>50742576
>4e
I'm not even sure what you mean by "anything interesting in 5e can only be done every six to seven fights" since the lion's share of abilities that aren't spells can be used regularly and a Short Rest isn't all that long of a period of time.

>3.5e
System bloat on that scale is not and never has been a good thing.
>>
File: doom slayer.jpg (76KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
doom slayer.jpg
76KB, 610x610px
What race/class(archetype) and magic items should I play if I want to play Doomguy/Doom slayer
>>
>>50742484
ignore this fucker
>>50742576

5e is really really simple. this is both good and bad. it reduced the annoyances that 4e provided and lacks the same perfect balance that made 4e unfun to many. It avoids the system and rules bloat of 3.5 but leaves a lot more open to DM decisions. Some see this as a good thing, others disagree.

Im sure other anon's will now chime in and tell me where im wrong. Youre welcome.
>>
File: DexPlusTwoIntPlusOne.jpg (45KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
DexPlusTwoIntPlusOne.jpg
45KB, 500x687px
>>50742821
>>50742640
I appreciate the input! If anybody can chime in about older editions it would be appreciated. Specifics about all editions are also welcome.

To thank you, here is a picture of a badass Santa Claus.
>>
>>50742767
Champion Fighter
>>
>>50742767
You can't play the Doom guy (because even at level 20 you can't be a demigod powerful enough to solo Hell) nor should you (because the Doom guy is a lone psychopath who is not capable of social interactions that are not ripping and tearing people's guts.)
>>
>>50742909
>Doom guy is a lone psychopath who is not capable of social interactions that are not ripping and tearing people's guts.)
He loved his fucking bunny man, all you gotta do is not piss him off about his animals or getting people killed and i'm sure he'd share a drink with ya.
>>
>>50742909
Actually, if you have all the futuristic technology, I'm pretty sure a level 20 could make it.

>>50742767
But without technology, it's impossible.

Right now your best hope is to play a combination of heavily refluffed tranquility druid/wizard and use the 'magic missile' spell to nuke everything BFG 9000 style, but there's no way your DM will allow it.
>>
>>50742576
Caster superiority is the objectively best formula for DnD
>>
>>50742940
Halfway through your invitation to go drinking with him he would either punch you apart or punch apart whatever device you're using to talk to him. That's just how he talks. He speaks fist.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>>50742973
THEN SPEAK FIST BACK
>>
>>50742951
We can figure this out. Assuming you're a level 20 champion fighter (because spells are for faggots) with the best futuristic weapons in the DMG and the equivalent of +3 plate armor, how well would you hold up against a legion of bearded devils? Against ten pit fiends? Against the Lords of the Nine?
>>
>>50736171
>SELECT THE TEA
THATS COFFEE ANON
>>
>>50743036
I'm on it, give me a few minutes to do math.
I'm assuming +3 plate, a shield (because you're gonna need it), and a +3 of whatever is the sickest laser gun in the DMG.
>>
>>50743036
I was going to say
>champion
And comment on how this is a ridiculously terrible thing considering champion is one of the lower tier options, especially at level 17+ where casters rule, but...

Champion at that point gets a health regeneration ability.
3/20 chance of crit.
Some auto-save save throws.
Couple of action surges.
Four attacks with said furturistic weapons every round, without extra abilities such as bonus actions.
Second wind..
More feats for 'lucky' feat and suchlike.

It's actually not so bad.

Using DnD monsters, zombies/imps/lesser demons won't even hurt them.

As for greater demons, it depends if they invoke a lot of saving throws or how well heat-proofed the armour is or just how powerful the weapons are.

But then, I've got another thought.
You see, not only are guns not magical weapons, but guns such as chainguns would generally ignore the 'extra attack' feature, making the point of being a fighter at all pointless.

He should be a paladin.
>>
>>50743143
You're making a lot of assumptions about chainguns. You can swing a sword very quickly too, but only a fighter can employ well-aimed attacks 4 times in 6 seconds. And Burst Fire weapons suck ass.

>>50743036
>>50743142
Gear: +3 full plate, shield, +3 laser pistol
Other key features: archery combat style, defense combat style
Feats: sharpshooter (duh), Tough, Crossbow Expert. Being a fighter, he gets 20 dex and 20 con anyhow.

Stats:
AC: 24 (18 (plate) +3 (enchantment) +2 (shield) +1 (combat style)
HP: 264 (10 + 6x19 + 7x20 (because Tough) )
Speed: literally who gives a shit, you're not running away from anything
Attack: +11 x 4, or +6 x 4 with sharpshooter
Damage: 3d6 radiant, or 3d6+10 radiant with sharpshooter
Reload every 12.5 turns, bonus action unless DM allows crossbow expert to allow to firearms

If anybody wants to suggest magic items, pls respond while I do maths.

(cont.)
>>
File: glaugh.jpg (77KB, 600x536px) Image search: [Google]
glaugh.jpg
77KB, 600x536px
Oh my god Stacy, I heard anon doesn't fudge his rolls for the sake of pacing!
>>
best martial setup for an autistic dickwaving DPS contest? Thinking either EK or Vengeance Paladin
>>
>>50743263
When you're making up to nine shots in a round without magic (Say, hand crossbow, extra attack 3, action surge and a bonus action with the feat) the main bulk there is going really fast WHILE being able to aim.

The idea is a fighter with a sword can make four attacks AND do other things, such as use their other arm for an object interaction, make a move, use a bonus action or make a reaction attack.

If their arms are moving at human speeds, they simply won't be able to make the 6 (Reaction, bonus and 4 from normal attack sequence) non-action-surge GWM GWF greatsword attacks against potentially multiple targets while also keeping their balance and moving around in any feasible manner.

When it comes to something such as a chaingun, there's simply no way to bolster the rate of fire as long as they don't lose aim if they're aiming for a really big fucking demon rather than trying to shoot lots of rats.

Reloading the double shotgun faster makes more sense than aiming the shotgun faster. With the fact that you make bonus actions, move actions and all sorts of other things all over the place, it's already sort of assumed their aim is impeccable.
>>
>>50743263
>You're not running away from anything.

Doomguy runs pretty quickly and that's kind of important when you're dodging big fucking demonrockets and scouring over the entirety of hell.
>>
>>50743266
Paladin has the best burst damage, easily. It's kind of dubious if you can really call them a 'martial', though. I suppose they use a lot of their spells on smiting, so maybe yes. Their DPR isn't bad either, but a fighter of some sort will still do better.

Battlemaster only has so many martial dice, probably even shorter lived than paladin on that.
EK is probably the way to go just for a buff such as 'haste', though obviously if they get hit a lot they'll lose concentration and their DPR will drop a load.
EK can also use 'hold person' for autocrits against a target.

Rogues are actually a pretty hot contender, actually. They can sneak attack twice a round. They also have good booming blade affinity, and can achieve a fuckton of damage by landing booming blade + sneak attack and then booming blade + sneak attack on an enemy that then provokes opportunity, but opportunity is the big problem there.
If you use tunnel fighter, they can sneak attack way too many fucking times.

Ranger has 'volley' to make far too many ranged attacks, too, and would compete there.

I've still yet to see the proof that you can't do PAM+Warcaster+Boomingblade, so if that's allowed PAM+GWM+GWF+Warcaster+Boomingblade on an EK would work. Magic weapons are also good on fighters since they get 4+ attacks.
Otherwise, just GWM against a low AC target.
Barbarian rage can add +2 damage and new ranger can add +2 damage against humanoids.

Fighter doesn't get extra attack (2/3) until level 11/20.
>>
>>50740282

Rogue 1 / Ranger X or Rogue 3 / Ranger X?

Rogue 3 with Arcane Trickster would give me 2d6 Sneak Attack instead of 1d6 and give me access to a few more spells, like the aforementioned Prestidigitation for meat preservation and a few other gimmicks.
>>
>>50743523
>>50743266
Oh, I forgot unimportant things such as 'savage attacker' too. It won't help a lot, especially considering GWF, but it will increase DPS.

Also honestly I think a fire sorcerer +undying light warlock + barbarian + UA ranger using quickened GFB/BB to outdo a fighter in raw DPS, given rage lasts a whole minute and they can quicken a lot of spells if they convert spell slots.
>>
File: decorado_04.png (1MB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
decorado_04.png
1MB, 1200x600px
What sort of cool steeds would a race of desert-dwelling elves ride?
>>
File: damagazelle.jpg (36KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
damagazelle.jpg
36KB, 480x320px
>>50743644
these
>>
>>50743644
arabian horses
>>
>>50743367
>>50743404
>Moving
That's fair, but at that point you might as well assume that creatures without ranged attacks automatically die without doing damage if their speed is equal to yours or lower, or catch up fairly quickly if it's higher.
>9 shots
I'm not counting action surge because it accounts for too little in a prolonged 1vX fight. I'm also not assuming an extra bonus action attack because it specifically refers to a hand crossbow.

>>50743036
>>50743263
Attacks should be +3 higher, my bad
Also relevant, saves: con + 11

Critical hits deal 3d6 extra damage and occur 5% of the time. Since 10.5 * 5% ~ 0.5 damage, I'm just going to ignore them unless they become relevant due to extremely high AC.

Against bearded devils:
HP 52 AC 13
Attack +5, 1d8+2 (6.5) + poisoned condition if DC 12 con is failed (can only fail on 1); +5, 1d10+3 (8.5) + scaling 1d10 damage on future attacks on failed DC 12 con save

Attacks vs devils
No sharpshooter: +14 vs 12, 95% x 3d6+5 = 95% x 15.5 = 14.725 damage per hit, or 58.9 DPR
Sharpshooter: +9 vs 12, 90% x 3d6+15 = 90% x 25.5 = 22.95 damage per hit, or 91.8 DPR
HOWEVER, against "legions" of bearded devils you WILL eventually fail a beard saving throw (after about 400 turns). Disadvantage reduces damage to 95% (55.95) without sharpshooter, or 90% (82.62) with it.

Attacks by devils
+5 only hits on a crit. Critical damage is 2d8+2 (11) for beard, 2d10+3 (14) for glaive.The DPR is 5% x (11 + 14) = 1.25 before considering the stacking glaive DOT.
The wording on the glaive DOT can be interpreted that an infernal wound can only be worsened by the same devil. It will be applied at 5/round after approximately 400 devils get to attack (5% (hit chance) x 5% (save failure chance) = 0.25% chance of infection), and rise to 10/round after about 8000 devils attack.
(cont.)

>>50743575
Bro, Doom Guy uses guns.
>>
>>50743265
LARP BITCHES OUT!!

They're called rules, not suggestions
>>
File: 14af06cb612bb2d597a326456506ae0e.jpg (413KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
14af06cb612bb2d597a326456506ae0e.jpg
413KB, 3000x2000px
>>50743644
Reminder that desert Elves would have bigger ears than normal, since elves don't sweat
>>
>>50743263
Shit, if only I had my DMG on me. Maybe +3 plate of fire resistance? Boots of Elvenkind?
>>
>>50743807
Boots of speed.
>>
>>50743752
What DO elves do?
They seem reluctant to engage in any sort of meaningful activities. Or even normal bodily functions.
They don't even sleep for fuck's sake.
>>
>>50743698
It's still perfectly possible to do bonus attacks without a hand crossbow.

There are plenty of sources of bonus attacks from two-weapon-fighting, to war cleric's level 1 ability (Probably too magical) to barbarian's berzerker ability (Doomguy could sensibly have taken levels in barbarian. I mean, those black stimpacks.) Barbarian gets punches as bonus attacks, GWM gets bonus melee attacks, hand crossbow gets bonus ranged attacks. With levels in sorcerer, you can also quickened spell to make extra melee attacks (Sort of magic, yet also not magic if you took away the 'booming blade' or 'green flame blade' part of it and just made a regular attack).
Then, there are plenty of sources of reaction attacks from people using support abilities that yell at people to make attacks from opportunity attacks to a feat or two that allows it to simply storing an action.
So, with GWM and PAM that's still at least 6 unique attacks per turn (not even using, say, battlemaster's sweep attack manoeuvre).
At that point I'm pretty sure extra attack is more about speed and being able to keep up that speed than it is about aiming. Considering that attacks can often hit hard objects or be deflected and you can lose momentum.

Also, are you saying doomguy never takes any breaks, ever?
>>
>>50743841
Be, like, totally one with nature, man
>>
>>50743841
Silly human, they wouldn't expect you to understand
>>
>>50743841
>What DO elves do?
Poetry, music, writing and vegan gastronomy
>>
>>50743841
The real question is what are they doing in that extra 4 hours where all the other races are still sleeping

I mean I know they're plotting, but plotting what
>>
>>50743698
Corrections:
1. The poisoned condition is applied for only 10 rounds. 10 rounds out of every 400 represents .25% of attacks made with disadvantage, which is not worth calculating.
2. The DOT can be removed with a DC12 medicine check. Assuming Doom Guide is trained in medicine (which is obvious because he uses medkits) he will remove it in 1-3 turns no matter what his wisdom is. Since it is also only applied every 400 rounds, we'll ignore that too.

The most favorable fighting conditions are, of course, a 5-foot corridor. But even then, you WILL get attacked every turn, since you can only kill (91.8/52=) 1.77 devils per turn, and their speed is 30 feet. I won't allow for an infinite corridor; that's just silly.

So, how many devils can we kill before falling? Doom Guy will receive 1.25 damage per round. With Second Wind, the devils have to eat through 264 + (1d10 + 20) hit points, or 289.5. 289.5 / 1.25 = 231.6 rounds of rousing combat.
In 231.6 rounds, Doom Guy will therefore deal 231.6 x 91.8 damage, or a whopping 21261. This will lay waste to an impressive (21261/52=) 408.8 bearded devils.

Not quite "legions," but not too shabby. And, of course, this assumes he doesn't get to recuperate, which may or may not be the case.

Bearded devils are inaccurate enough that we can ditch the shield and use a laser rifle. This will improve our DPR by 95% x 6 damage, and our overall devils to 434.25.

>>50743807
Bearded devils do the overwhelming bulk of their damage in this case as physical damage, and there's no reason to assume their glaives aren't magical. I'm afraid there's no way to mitigate it. The boots will only help you avoid them, which is a coward's tactic.

>>50743860
We're not using a hand crossbow, we're using a laser pistol.
>>
>>50743947
Wait, shit, no, we need the shield. No rifle for us. 409 bearded devils it is.
>>
File: shusup.jpg (9KB, 660x176px) Image search: [Google]
shusup.jpg
9KB, 660x176px
>>50741915
>dark prison
my schwarzchild
>>
>>50735927
Jesus christ the bear totem barbarian option is fucking insane
>>
>>50743036
>>50743966
I started doing the math for 10 pit fiends, but it would be a joke of a fight. After 10 fireballs hit Doom Guy in turn 1, their +14 multiattacks will make short work of him. I doubt he'll even kill one of them.
>>
>>50743902
>>50743894
>>
>>50741432
>Int: 8
>>50741006
>Int: 8
How could the two of you come so close and remain so far
her int is
>>
>>50743947
This isn't about the weapon.

This is about fighter's extra attack feature.

There is no specified rule about extra attack used on laser pistols, so we have to work it out given how extra attack works alongside current weapons, and as it is now it seems extra attack generally works on a level of 'how fast you can use the weapon'.

Being able to aim your laser pistol fast enough to make four/five/six shots every round against the same target would be pitiful, because even a peasant can do that.

As such, I'd propose a laser pistol has something akin to the loading property. It makes a specific number of attacks regardless of how many attacks are usually made.
>>
How would one most closely build Conan as he is depicted in Howard's stories?
>>
>>50744086
There's not a single '9' in this post.
>>
>>50744122
I entered one but 4chan doesn't like unicode 9s in circles, I guess.
>>
I want to have a colony of Sasquatches in my campaign. What would be a good statblock for this?
>>
>>50744097
That is 0% how the loading property works. You can't make more attacks than your extra attack allows, because otherwise the crossbow master feat would let you fire infinity crossbow bolts in one round.

I'd seriously like to see a peasant make 6 accurate, damaging shots against moving targets in armor within 6 seconds.
>>
File: galientgun4.gif (3MB, 278x200px) Image search: [Google]
galientgun4.gif
3MB, 278x200px
>>50743966
>not bringing a Shield Rifle
>>
>>50744112
Conan is to Barbarians what Aragorn is to Rangers.
>>
>>50744167
Ogres
>>
>>50744179
>laser pistols
>giving a fuck about armour

In that case, the peasants would just make four attacks with disadvantage, or some major penalty.
They'd still be allowed to make an attack, because they can potentially make it.

If it's about aiming, that's what the 'attack' stat is for, which is increased in other ways.

Of, course, a peasant at level 0 could try to make four attacks consecutively, but the problem is less about aiming and more about their attacks becoming ineffective as they're not putting their strength into a proper swing, and the fact they'll put themselves heavily off-guard and likely get skewered. And also the fact they have to make these attacks while doing all the other combat functions (Reactions, moving, bonus actions and analyzing combat)

That is entirely how the loading property works.
"Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make."
The difference is that this isn't about loading, but the fact there is a limit to how fast the pistol can fire. It doesn't take heroic levels of abilities to pull the pistol trigger repeatedly.
>>
>>50744097
Laser pistols are just stronger ranged weapons with the ammunition and reloading property. There are no special rules about them.
>>
>>50744181
Fair point. We can get half-cover fairly easily with a large object if Doom Guy doesn't move. Then he can use a laser rifle for those 25 extra beardies.

>>50744201
The original, whom most modern examples no longer resemble?
>>
Does anyone have a link to the other MEGA link that was in the OP? I think it was the DM's trove?
>>
>>50744167
Bugbears
>>
>>50744238
There isn't a limit to how fast the pistol can fire. You are thinking of the loading properly. Laser pistol has the reloading properly.
>>
>>50744254
>The original, whom most modern examples no longer resemble?
Adding to this, "and Gandalf is to Wizards"
seriously when did gandalf throw fireballs or lightning bolts or fly
>>
>>50744254
Yes the original
>>
>>50744238
Why do you insist on complicating the game? D&D is not real life. The peasant can make one good attack per turn, at their appropriate attack bonus. The laser pistol (DMG p.268) does not ignore armor. Just leave it at that.

>Loading property
Wait, you're right about the loading property. But laser weapons (and modern firearms) use the "reload" property instead, which merely specifies after making x attacks you need to reload. Since laser pistols are reload 50, I'm just going to assume they're not meant to fire 50 times in one round.

>>50744291
>when did Gandalf throw fireballs
The Hobbit
>>
>>50744289
And I originally stated 'it would have something similar to the loading property'
So of course I'm thinking of the loading propety.

I'm thinking of designing a gun and implementing it in 5e, because the stats based on the DMG wouldn't work at all for this scenario.
For example, a guy without extra attack but with polearm master could do 1d10+STR + 1d4+STR + a reaction attack for 1d10+STR damage with a polearm. (2d10+1d4)+3x STR. Yet, if they used a laser pistol, they'd suddenly be down to 3d6+DEX.
The DMG makes rough, balanced approximations for 5e that really aren't 'future technology' but 'how to implement future technology into your campaign without breaking anything'.

If the doomguy's armour is literally just platearmour+3, he's fucked. He'd burn to death just by being in hell.

Either you have to homebrew in futuristic technology, or you have to change the nature of hell itself.

>>50744320
The problem is using the laser pistol in the DMG. I originally said 'it'd only work if you implemented future technology' yet it strays too far from the original point of trying to get doomguy in because of that, because a 3d6 ranged weapon isn't 'futuristic technology'. It's essentially a magical item powered by 'futuristic power', because 5e isn't designed to handle the weapon.

But, yes, I can assume we make him use a 3d6 weapon that is per the DMG that he uses with his fighter features.
He dies. The end. That's how it is if you go that route.
>>
>>50744405
Actually, I'll at least admit the antimatter rifle isn't really balanced once +3 weapons start being introduced.

Laser pistol is still pretty much inline with the world in that point and not very revolutionary.
>>
A player confessed to me that he's really bored playing his fighter, and wants to kill him off and roll a bard.

Is this normal?
>>
>>50744507
People raised by vidya have short attention spans

Also fighters are shit and bards are not
>>
>>50744405
>He dies. The end. That's how it is if you go that route.
...yes, after killing over 400 bearded devils. I never claimed he'd take on all of Hell, I was just crunching numbers to figure out how far he'd get, as per the original prompt.

>>50744458
Antimatter rifle is a problem for the fighter because it only fires twice before reloading, and you can only reload once per round.
>>
you guys realize the laser pistol is meant to operate in a setting where swords are made out of plasma or monomolecular ceramic and the relative power level in terms of armor performance and creature durability is jacked up to match

not side-by-side with wooden longbows and iron breastplates
this ain't fuckin Ultima 1-2 / Wizardry / HoMM
>>
>>50744507
Fighter is very boring unless your player is creative and you are willing to give him latitude in performing otherwise suboptimal actions for greater effect.

The problem there is that he could do exactly the same thing while playing any other, more fun class, on TOP of the fun things that class gives him.

Is he a Battlemaster?
>>
>>50744507
To be fair, people can get bored of the character, or the class ccould not be what he thought when he chose it.
>>
>>50744577
Eldritch Knight
>>
>not playing Toccata and Fugue in D Minor during battle with Strahd
DYEDM?
>>
>>50744731
EK doesn't really play like a lot of people expect it to, so unless you're really dedicated to the concept it can be disappointing. I'd recommend letting him switch, but warning him that Valor Bard might not do what he thinks it will either.
>>
File: cityofthegods.png (2MB, 990x1279px)
cityofthegods.png
2MB, 990x1279px
>>50744548
>this ain't fuckin Ultima 1-2 / Wizardry / HoMM
If you're a good DM it is
>>
File: 1480271693025.png (621KB, 711x613px) Image search: [Google]
1480271693025.png
621KB, 711x613px
>>50744577
fighter is only boring if you allow it to be boring.

I believe fighter has the most customization of any class, as long as you're trying to enter the DPS race and actually going for "character".

For instance i'm WAS running a champion fighter in strahd based off of simon belmont, I went two weapon fighter, one hand wielding a whip (off hand), the other a flail to represent what he fights with and what it upgrades into (from whip to flail). I played him very DIE MONSTER, YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD! Heck this gung-ho'ness actually saved the party once as everyone was literally dead except me and the cleric, but the cleric was utterly paralyzed so it was me vs a banshee, normally I would retreat with my characters but I was like FUCK IT he fights to the death and won.
>>
>>50744541
>400
Depends how fast they come.

Oddly, because it has been insisted we don't make an actually sensible laser weapon, the handcrossbow attacks more often and would be a more viable choice for doomguy to take on the lesser enemies. It's a pretty solid 15+1d6 which should be enough to kill zombies and imps and other small creatures, provided their to-hit is high enough.

Secondly, I'm not sure if there's any official rulings on how hell is run but fiend warlock's 'hurl through hell' ability seriously suggests they'll be taking fire damage while in hell, assuming there's no physic damage since he's pretty make a demon alerady.

Thirdly, just that he won't kill enough as has already been said by you lot. It's barely worth bothering with if we give him only a shortbow that does triple dice damage and +3 armour. This is why 'futuristic technology' should have been invoked and we should overcomplicate things by designing a suitable weapon with rapid-fire capabilities that doesn't key off the ability to launch arrows in quick succession or hit a creature with a blade many times. Anyone can pick up this weapon and wreck shit if they're vaguely trained with it. It should be making way more than 4 attacks a round if you haven't heavily nerfed his potential aiming ability.
>>
>>50744731
3 shields/day

Yeah, it's very boring, maybe even more than Champions at low levels.

I think I understand him, he wanted a gish, and EK is not that, he will probably play valor bard
>>
>>50744772
Let me refer you again to
>The problem there is that he could do exactly the same thing while playing any other, more fun class, on TOP of the fun things that class gives him.
>>
I swear if I hear about the 'bag of holding in a portable hole' thing one more time
>>
>>50744774
>Depends how fast they come.
Please actually read my post before responding. I detailed exactly how I arrive at that number and unless you look at my math you have no business criticizing it.

>Hurl Through Hell
Throws the target through a series of nightmarish scenes it's not expecting and that are specifically orchestrated to break its mind. Just hanging out in Avernus isn't going to do that. And Avernus isn't hot enough to do ambient damage.
>>
>>50744735
you play castlevania or go home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4OxW_0qqv8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDcKNgoIUcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ7gk0iyVXI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJiBkopDPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqoJPe98kDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RXkeZBO3M
>>
File: Pepe Nuke.jpg (84KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Nuke.jpg
84KB, 750x709px
>>50744834
>bag of holding in a portable hole
>>
>>50744848
Yes, and that's working with a chokepoint of a 5ft corridor that only allows one or maybe two devils coming up, with bearded devils only. Bigger demons can't even fit in such a corridor.

You really have to give them all these assumptions for having good grounds to fight them on, because with their weapondry that seems to require special fighter abilities to fire at any sensible rate they really can't kill very fast. It can kill one or two human-sized demons every six seconds, and he can't run-and-gun awfully well. If he's travelling around shooting things, he'll be reduced to half health from various surprise attacks, but he'll kill all the minor demons. If he avoided the big guys, he could honestly kill as many of them as he pleases. You then have to consider how he fights in a bigger fight against bigger demons starting on half health.

Hurl through hell does literally say it transports them to the lower planes. Reading it though, it doens't mention fire damage like I seem to remember (probably from 4e) so I don't think that'll matter since we'll assume doomguy doesn't take physic damage from seeing hell.
>>
>>50744965
Oh yeah it's neat but I heard about it from the mechanicsfag player about every session for the past three sessions, and since my character had a bag of holding this is the first time it's really come up and everyone can get engaged.
>>
Do Genasi have racial specific afterlives? I'm assuming they don't get sent to an elemental plane.
>>
>>50745049
They become household appliances for powerful genies of the appropriate element
>>
>>50745049
>I'm assuming they don't get sent to an elemental plane.
That's most likely what happens, unless they had some alignment- or religion-based bond of an even greater strength that would cause them to be snatched to their deity's domain or reincarnated as an outsider (insider?) of an outer plane matching their alignment.
>>
>>50735927
I was thinking to affiliated a totem Barbarian with elementals instead of spirit animals
For example instead of the bear spirit, an earth elemental, and air elemental instead of the eagle, etc
Spirit seeker and walker need some tweak too but do you think it's fitting?
>>
So, how good is speed factor initiative over regular initiative and should I use it as a first time DM. I want to start strong so i'm real wary about too many changes. No homebrew shit at all for players, only shit in the consolidated character options and not in the DMG or guild.
>>
>>50742576
>4e. on this point.
Originally all martial classes were ment to get superiority dice and maneouvers.

>3.5e
A bloated system and the number of publishers for tabletop content is slowly dwindling while when 3e came out it had a massive resurgence.
Different market situation.
>>
>>50745226
As a first time DM, do not use it. It adds a layer of complexity to the game that you don't want to deal with at this stage of your gaming career.
>>
>>50743545
Thief is the better option with added mobility and fast hands.

An AT still has to depend on Int while you have to have 13 Dex&Wis to multi with ranger.
Don't go MAD.

Instead start with Ranger for Str and Dex saves and then either only take 2 Rogue levels for expertise and cunning action or go with 3 Rogue levels and pick either Assasin or Thief.
>>
>>50745226
No, don't use pointless complications especially as a first-time DM. Aim to instead do things that reduce the amount of work you need to do. Trust me, you'll have your hands full with keeping in mind all the moving parts in combat as well as all the "hidden knowledge" which the players do not have, like what's on the other side of the door, can anyone hear the events, what are the NPCs' motivations...

Will it make the game better? No. Will it make it slower? Yes.
>>
>>50744291
The template for wizards is more like Merlin. He was more studious and had a familiar, whereas Gandalf got his power from a divine source in d&d terms.
>>
File: bear pelt.jpg (275KB, 1600x1572px) Image search: [Google]
bear pelt.jpg
275KB, 1600x1572px
What can I do to make my 4th level Mountain Dwarf Berserker Barbarian stronger? Already using a maul.
>>
>>50745531
Hit level 8.
>>
Can you guys help me figure out a couple of alignment problems I'm having?

Barbarian wants nothing more than revenge for his clan, the complete genocide of that rival clan he respects the laws of nature only and would throw himself to protect his friends.
>I said CN
but I'm unsure if his anger towards the enemy clan keeps him there or shifts him more towards evil.

Our princess (NPC think Ellie from 'the last of us') from the holy good light city wants to rule at any cost, and she is sinister in getting it, because dispite coming from a "good" city she is evil and uses necromancy.
She will follow the party and give the heals they need, but her goal is to use the party by necro, rez'ing everything powerful they kill behind their backs and then turning her secret necro army on her father's kingdom.
>I said CE
But if she doesn't want to directly kill what does that make her alignment?
>>
anyone wanna throw me some feedback on this character concept i have?

>human rogue
>high dex, str, and moderate CHA
>"world's best athlete"
>is full of himself, lady's man, headstrong
>always compliments his own figure and appearance
>is lowkey actually an assassin
>the whole dumb athlete thing is a getup
>>
>>50745568
Tbh sounds like a plain old rogue to me, what is unique about him?
>>
>>50745531
If you do not have GWM, use shortswords until level 5.
>>
>>50745226
Follow up, should I inform the players of the variant actions in combat in the DMG or naw?
>>
>>50739817
Thank you, I intend to use it to make some pdfs
>>
Help me expand this table /5eg/
>>
>>50745729
Ruins of a porn set

An oddly expansive lavatory
>>
>>50745560
>Barbarian wants nothing more than revenge for his clan, the complete genocide of that rival clan he respects the laws of nature only and would throw himself to protect his friends.
>I said CN
I'm not sure what's chaotic about that, could be TN just as well IMO.

>>50745560
>But if she doesn't want to directly kill what does that make her alignment?
Not all evil people want to get their own hands dirty. Besides, enslaving souls by necromancy is often considered inherently evil. As would gaining power at all costs.

I see chaotic vs. evil as more a dichotomy between tradition/society and freedom/individualism. Sounds like the princess could be either.
>>
>>50745729
What is it (for)?
>>
>>50745729
A large statue to a now-disgraced angel, a hidden door to a catacombs/a lair at the base of it.

Heck if I know.
>>
>>50745729
A beautiful waterfall.
Corpses missing a specific body part.
An abandoned lair.
A house.
>>
>>50745785
A location discovery table for a hex crawl campaign i'm conceptualizing
>>
>>50745286

Thanks! That sounds good, and starting Ranger means I can play my background better and have a few sessions to gauge the benefits of multi.
>>
File: cobraspace.jpg (136KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cobraspace.jpg
136KB, 1440x1080px
>>50745729
Hollowed-out corpse of a giant beast
Treemansion
Hive of giant insects
Shoe the size (and interior of) a castle
Small pond far, far larger than its surface appears
Leaning tower where all the floors are sideways
Roadside inn on wheels (technically a road-straddeling inn)
Unmelting iceberg where it shouldn't be
Upside-down pyramid
>>
>>50745825
corpses missing a dick haha
>>
>>50744766
>CotG
>Not Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
Shame on you.
>>
>>50746058
not only is Blackmoor / CotG older and more of a hipster choice, we've already done Barrier Peaks in the thread >>50737244
>>
>>50745234
If all Martial classes had superiority dice in the final product anon, I think a lot of my complaints would have been dealt with. Unfortunately the worst elements of the playtest community were the loudest.
>>
>>50746294
>>50746294
>>50746294
NEW THREAD
>>50746294
>>50746294
>>50746294
>>
>>50745212
I prefer spirits and shit associated with primal characters. You don't get enough of that in D&D
>>
>>50735950
I enjoy 5e but the more I read of 4e the more I hate the playtesters who made it so much more like 3.5 than it should have been.
>>
>>50743719
I'm called the Dungeon Master, not the Dungeon Lawyer
>>
>>50743841
DMT in the woods, probably
>>
>>50745212
That's pretty close to the path of the storm herald unearthed arcana
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.