[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make a unique character?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: Guts.jpg (13KB, 187x269px) Image search: [Google]
Guts.jpg
13KB, 187x269px
Hey, I've lurked here for a while now and I've got my first session starting tomorrow of dnd and I'm having difficulty though in the process of creating a character. This is probably a really annoying question to ask but how do you make an interesting character that doesn't come off as generic, edgy, annoying or static? What should i avoid in the process in making one
>>
>>50722737
Make them feel like a real person with goals, flaws, and motivations. Don't be overly concerned with originality unless you find yourself making carbon copies of characters from movies, books, anime, etc
>>
>>50722737
>>50722764
Yeah. Basically just make them out to be real people. Like, how do they go about surviving and reproducing and generally why.

And I mean, to make something more original, just consider if you've heard about your character before, then make some subtle change.
>>
>>50722788
We had something like this thread not long ago, the easiest way to make your character interesting is to make something pretty generic, and develop it from there on his personality as the game goes. For instance you are playing a "Smite the Evil Paladin", you find that a children is born to be Really Evil (perhaps it's even your own) how would your character deal with it?
>>If you kill it you are either "punished" by your god or will find later that your god is corrupt.
>>What happens when he comes across a similar situation next time?
>>
>>50722737
You'll figure it out eventually.
>>
>>50722737
I think the simplest way to go about it is to work with 2 layers. Layer 1 is who your character is on the outside. Layer 2 is who your character is on the inside.

Layer 1 is something that should be immediately obvious and graspable, whereas layer 2 is something you slowly reveal as you grow closer to your team mates, your past catches up to you, or your character reflexively/instinctively responds to certain challenges.
It's a plus if those layers are vibrantly different, but don't let it become an inconsistent mess of wild twists at every turn.

Here's some popular example templates you could fill with details from your setting and personal preference. You can also flip most of them for an easy subversion:

Gentle giant - intimidating facade conceals a good heart
Genius bruiser - seems like just dumb muscle, actually also street- or booksmart.
Diamond under pressure - usually timid, but courageous when everyone else loses hope
Smiling slasher - seems innocent, is a violent psycho
Armored cynic - acts like an ass because being genuine with their feelings makes them feel vulnerable.
Well-intentioned extremist - does awful things for unexpectedly noble goals.
Our Guy - has a high ranking position but actually knows the poor people's plight firsthand.

Obviously not all templates work for all styles of groups or games.

And as usual, keep descriptions brief if you can, show > tell, and keep an open mind (and blank spaces) for improv and dice rolls.

HF&GL!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.