[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dresden Files

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 8

File: 714569.jpg (107KB, 500x295px) Image search: [Google]
714569.jpg
107KB, 500x295px
So I just finished binging The Dresden Files. I love it, and was wondering how good the tabletop game is. Have you used it? What was your expedience with it? Would you recommend? What are some good scenarios that have worked for you?
>>
It's Fate, so if you like that sort of thing then yes, DFRPG has a good reputation in that community.
>>
>>50720707

Wait the couple months for Dresden Files Accelerated, the current book is a clunky mess from before the writers understood Fate.
>>
I'm also reading the Dresden Files, on book 5 atm. Really interested to hear there is an RPG because the setting and tone feels so good.
>>
There's a co-op card game in the works which looks pretty promising.
>>
>>50720805
>the current book is a clunky mess
That's a shame. I was really looking forward to it. This wait is going to kill me.

>>50720778
To be honest, I've never tried it.

>>50720933
Same here. Favorite character so far? Book?

>>50720958
That bears some looking in to. Could be right up my alley in the meantime.
>>
>>50720805
Even more than the other one?
>>
>>50721643
What other one
>>
>>50721979
There two now, the Old one And Dresden Files Accelerated
>>
>>50720958
A bonus is that it comes with a free set of Fudge dice, which I would never bother to buy normally.
>>
>>50720707
DFRPG is a great read, even if you never use it. It's presented as a draft of something the Alphas were writing to "discreetly spread awareness of supernatural threats", with Harry and Bob as consultants. It's filled with sticky notes and stuff they scribbled in the margins.

>Reminder that Harry once joined the Alphas' D&D campaign, then broke down into a rant about perfectly spherical fireballs being unrealistic.
>>
>>50720707
I have been playing Dresden Files for a while. The game setting is pretty good, and there is a lot of extra background material (the Dresden File novels, pilot movie, 13-episode TV series and ongoing comic series).

However, after the first few sessions we were totally fed up with the FATE game system, and our GM ported the game into CORPS system. After that, the game was more playable.
>>
>>50724305
>Reminder that Harry plays barbarian, because he likes to break shit
>Reminder that butters got a hot werewolf waifu for becoming gm when said waifu boyfriend got torn to shreds by an unspeakable horror
>>
>>50725878

Man, that whole segment with the naagloshii was so fucking brutal. Worse things have happened before and after, but it was just so singularly cruel, malevolent and hateful. Gives me chills just remembering it.
>>
>>50725958
>Worse things have happened before and after, but it was just so singularly cruel, malevolent and hateful.
Harry has gone up against some evil motherfuckers, but none of them have ever had as little reason for what they did as the skinwalker. Denarians, white court, red court, black council, even outsiders- they all have reasons. The skinwalker just wanted to eat, and even then, the majority of what it does just seems to be for pleasure

Also

>The skinwalker feeds on magical power
>It could have fed on both Harry and Morgan
>>
>>50725878
>>50725958
>>50726099
>reminder that Morgan once killed a naagloshii by dropping a friggin nuke on it
I mean, I'm no Warden, but goddamm
>>
>>50724305
>Reminder that Harry once joined the Alphas' D&D campaign, then broke down into a rant about perfectly spherical fireballs being unrealistic.
Wait what? I don't remember that. When was this?
>>
>>50729220
The book that opens with a dnd session, he goes all batshit on verisimilitude a paragraph later. Then shit goes down.
>>
>>50729281
He also complains about fireballs not setting things on fire.

In early books Harry used fire magic for everything, which frequently resulted in him getting trapped in burning buildings or otherwise screwing himself over through unintended collateral damage. Learning from this, he starts relying more on force spells as the series goes on.
So yeah, perfectly safe and reliable fireballs are kind of a sore spot for him.
>>
>>50729466
Funny story, I was running a D&D game when the book came out and had gotten bitched at by my players a few weeks earlier for their stuff catching fire after they failed saves vs fire spells.
>>
>>50729656
This is one of the many times when someone tries to bring something from the Dresden Files into a game without realizing that there's a reason most people don't really like the Dresden Files.
>>
File: S.jpg (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
S.jpg
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>50724305
>Nixies make awful wedding guests and worse hors d'oeuvres
>Billy you need to stop reminding me that you fight crime by eating it
Holy crap you were not lying this is great stuff.
>>
>>50729689
It gets better. Whenever text in the PDF is covered by something or scribbled over, you can see what's underneath by copying and pasting it somewhere else.
>>
>>50729814

Then there’s the Almighty, the “capital G”
God, and Jesus Christ, who may be constrained
from action in mortal affairs except through
careful “non-manipulation” of their mortal
agents. (By the way, if you’re reading this, we
sure bet you feel clever!)
See also the Knights of the Cross (page74)

Powers: All of these gods, when active, range in
power from not much stronger than the average
wizard up to the supernatural heavyweight
class. Their powers generally vary due to their
individual portfolios. It’s entirely possible their
powers have something to do with Jim Butcher’s
ideas.

Weaknesses: Varied, due to their individual
portfolios and divine enemies. Also, and this is
pure theory, lack of mortal worship and belief
in them may have made them go dormant, or it
could have been something that the author isn’t
ready for us to know about yet. So sit on your
hat!

Heh, thanks for that heads up, anon. Just in time.
>>
>>50726099
Was one of my favorite things about the last novel, showing that not all Sasquatches are good and not skin walkers are ravenous monsters.
>>
>>50726099
>>50729917
That book also cemented Listens to Wind as my favorite Senior Council Member. Dude could talk trash.
"Mother says you have no place here. Father says you're ugly."
>>
>>50720707
The books are such pulpy trash I can't help but love them.

The RPG however just looks painful to play.
>>
>>50729954
>>50729917
Sorry, meant to agree with you, but hit post too soon.
>>
File: Dresden Files - Penny Arcade.jpg (575KB, 2100x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Dresden Files - Penny Arcade.jpg
575KB, 2100x1052px
>>50729681
>there's a reason most people don't really like the Dresden Files
>>
>>50729958
It highlights how bad the setting is for anything except a campaign centered around one character, and the character creation rules also make the "trash" part of "pulpy trash" particularly stink.

Instead of "here, this is how you can make a deep and involved character" it's "here's how to make a mary sue, but don't forget to add some negative things to make them even more unlikable and somehow even more shallow."
>>
File: i-kzdgss9-1050x10000.jpg (182KB, 1050x526px) Image search: [Google]
i-kzdgss9-1050x10000.jpg
182KB, 1050x526px
>>50730042
>>
/tg/, what is your consensus on The Dresden Files? I personally love them, they're just dumb fun.
>>
>>50730278
About the same for me. They're just really fun reads. Kind of depressing to be fully caught up, to be honest.
>>
>>50730278
They're incredibly niche, and sold more for the "wizard detective" part then the actual quality of the books.

They're a guilty pleasure at best, absolute trash at worst.
>>
>>50730092
I disagree somewhat. I think Fate works fine, but it takes a lot of extra effort to make it work that way, and the groups that have that kind of tacit agreement and understanding of how to share the story are probably already doing it with their system of choice.

The setting itself doesn't preclude team games, but, ironically, it means you can't play any of the games like the books, because those are all solo-character focused. Which means you basically have to make most of the shit up yourself anyways, which brings up the question, "Why are you playing in this setting?"
>>
>>50730278
Pulp trash, but well aware of it and thus forgivable.
>>
>>50730367
Fate is good on its own for a lot of applications, but it just brings out the worst parts of the Dresden Files.
>>
>>50730401
What would be a good alternative?
>>
>>50730278
It's shit, and the people who like it are all terrible people. You'd need to be in order to enjoy such a poorly-written fanfiction-tier power fantasy.
>>
>>50729681
You do know that's RAW in most systems, right. It's not something I took from DF, I just got tired of my players torching everything and started enforcing all the little things that get overlooked.
>>
>>50729681

The only real problem I had with the books was that the author drags the fight scenes too much. I can't help but to skip pages of fight description to get to the actual story.
>>
Finally, it's good to hear I'm not alone in my opinions of the books. Usually these threads turn into massive piles of fanwank.

I love some of the ideas in the books but there's a lot of trash in there.
Anyone running or going to run a game?
>>
Strange as it may sound, my biggest issue was how long he spent going over the women in the book. I had a few on audiobook going in the car. Listened to them as I did my errands or drove the kids places. Listening with the kids in the car. . . Not my best decision. I had to skip ahead since he seemed to be enjoying himself.
>>
>>50736800
It's cause Harry is pretty backed up for most of the books. Short stories from other characters perspective don't focus on women much.
>>
>>50736827
That. . . Makes more sense than I was expecting
>>
I'm kind of hoping he starts making more books with gimmicks like the last one, the whole "Dresden's Eleven" Heist scheme in Skin Game was pretty fantastic.
Maybe the next one will be Buddy Cop, or a Road Trip type story.
>>
File: This.jpg (23KB, 385x196px) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
23KB, 385x196px
>>50720805
>the current book is a clunky mess from before the writers understood Fate
>>
>>50736800
>>50736827
Harry learns a lot of things the hard way over the course of the books, one of which is "it's easy for people to kill you while you're distracted by boobs". So while it never quite goes away, it is toned down a bit as Harry gets older and more vigilant.

And as said, other narrators don't do it.
>>
>>50720707
Isn't the dresden files simply World of Darkness RPG but in novel format?
>>
>>50740512
>>50736827
>we will never get a scene from Molly's POV where she goes on and on describing Dresden
I'm almost disappointed.
>>
>>50741404
It's worse, if you can imagine that.
>>
>>50736857
What's funny is that Thomas, despite being a sex vampire, doesn't notice women the way Harry dies either.
Instead it's more like he instinctively thinks of ways he could get them alone, but the description more closely sounds like he's going to eat them.

Which I suppose is actually true.
>>
>>50741445
No, but instead when she thinks of Harry at all it's painfully clear how in love with him she is.
Murphy too, though she pretty clearly tries to deny it to herself by pointedly NOT thinking about him.

That is going to be one awkward situation to resolve.
>>
>>50741570

There's a story in side jobs from Murphy's perspective and her descriptions of how Harry behaves are pretty amusing.

Least I think it was side jobs, I don't think any books had non-harry POVs.
>>
>>50741404
Not really.
World of Darkness at least tries to keep it's supernatural stuff hidden for it's own safety.
Dresden Files does shit right out in the open more or less and then people in universe come up with their own shitty explanations as for what happened and banks heavily on human ignorance and unwillingness to believe in something that disagrees with their preconceived viewpoints rather then deliberately hiding.
>>
>>50730278

They're dumb fun, but Butcher needs to learn how to not spend half of each novel reminding people of what happened in the previous seven novels.

I get it, Thomas is unbelievably hot. You've spent four paragraphs telling us that each book he's been in, Jimmy.

Also, every time Harry inner-monologues about how dames are precious beings, usually a couple paragraphs before a female villain stabs someone with a handful of fishhooks or something needlessly cruel like that.
>>
>>50741600
Murphy's short is actually an excellent example of how Butcher clearly thinks with his dick much less then folks assume.
She NEVER notices how attractive or good a man or woman looks in her narration; she instead sizes up a person and decides if they look guilty or not and for men she seems to immediately figure out if she could toss them around in a fight if she needed too.

It's believable that Murphy is a better detective then Harry because she is paying a LOT closer attention to shit then Harry is, as Harry is always kind of mentally racing ahead or really distracted by something else.
>>
>>50741647
>Also, every time Harry inner-monologues about how dames are precious beings, usually a couple paragraphs before a female villain stabs someone with a handful of fishhooks or something needlessly cruel like that.

It's deliberate.
The PoV's of other characters never bring that kinda shit up at all. Harry actually IS pretty old-fashioned mentally and early on in the novels it is a glaring psychological weakness that gets explioted over and over again that notably NONE of the other characters with a written PoV actually have.

Harry gets better about it in later books.
Actually he comes to learn to be immediately suspicious of attractive women he meets, which isn't really such a terrible policy considering how his life works.
>>
>>50741647
He just needs to learn how to write in general.

He's never grown out of a sophomoric style.
>>
>>50741688
>it's shit
>"IT'S SHIT ON PURPOSE!"

That makes it worse, not better.
And, you're going through some intense defense mode right now.
>>
>>50741688
One of the funniest PoV's is Marcone.
Mostly because he turns out to be the most straightforward character in the series with no real "hidden depths"; what you see with him is EXACTLY who he is and there is zero internal conflict about it.

His bodyguard Hendricks however apparently liked to quote philosophers and poetry quite a bit when nobody else is around and also acts as Marcone's external conscience.
>>
>>50741716
No, I won't claim it's good or bad.
I'm old enough now to recognize that my opinion is irrelevant and literally dies forever when I do, and thus everything I "objectively" think about subjective matters such as quality of entertainment is entirely subjective.
>>
>>50730278
>SemiAutoMagic
things like this make me giggle.

so that's one vote from me for "dumb fun"
>>
>>50741733
So then what is your SUBJECTIVE opinion, you smarmy asswipe?
>>
>>50741688

>It's deliberate.

I'm not saying it's badwrongfun for other people to like it, I just prefer my pulp Howardian, rather than from the perspective of an awkward highschooler given magic powers and rent payments.
>>
>>50741716
>Characters having traits that I don't personally agree with are shit
>>
>>50724305
The new edition is written by Ivy with Kincaid snarking in the margins
>>
>>50741780
It's silly, irrelevant, entertaining for some, alarmingly stupid for the vast majority, and wildly self-refrential to the point of being extremely obtuse at times.
So basically it's /tg/ itself, which means I find folks who hate it on /tg/ lacking almost entirely in self-awareness because they WILLINGLY waste time on a website who fits all the traits of the books.

Did I like them? They were fun I guess.
Entertainment value reminded me of similar late-90's fantasy/urban fantasy show things; amusing but usually nothing to write home about.
>>
>>50741817
That actually seems a lot funnier.
Kincaid is one of the more amusing characters because he actually seems to appreciate Harry's astoundingly stupid sense of humor.
>>
>>50729954
I have to post that entire section to show how good and bad this is just in one. Good, dumb pulp fun.

>Then Listens-to-Wind smiled. He hunkered down and rubbed his hands in some mud and loose earth that lightly covered the rocky summit of the hill. He cupped his hands, raised them to just below his face, and inhaled through his nose, breathing in the scent of the earth. Then he rubbed his hands slowly together, the gesture somehow reminding me of a man preparing to undertake heavy routine labor.

>He rose to his feet again, and said, calmly, "Mother says you have no place here."

>The naagloshii bared its fangs. Its growl prowled around the hilltop like a beast unto itself.

>Lightning rumbled overhead with no accompanying rumble of thunder. It cast a harsh, eerily silent glare down on the skinwalker. Listens-to-Wind turned his head up to the skies and cocked his head slightly. "Father says you are ugly," he reported. He narrowed his eyes and straightened his shoulders, facing the naagloshii as thunder rolled over the island, lending a monstrous growling undertone to the old man's voice. "I give you this chance. Leave. Now".

>The skinwalker snarled. "Old spirit caller. The failed guardian of a dead people. I do not fear you"

A few more bants follow, and then there's a shapeshifting battle.
>>
>>50741797
>poorly written character soapboxing author's beliefs for pages at a time
>it's just the character

That's nice. Still doesn't make for good reading.
>>
>>50730278
I'm probably going to get torched for admitting that, but I love them. I can't really speak about the writing, with english not being my native language and all, but it works well enough for me, and I like both the story and the characters.

It's far from being the best, sure, but I still find it to be a pretty enjoyable read.
>>
>>50741963
I don't think he actually does.
In fact if there's any character that does I think it's Molly, since her family dynamic is pretty close to how Jim Butcher's real family was; huge family slanted in the direction of a single gender (make for Molly and female for Jim Butcher; apparently he's the youngest child out of several older siblings who are all sisters)
>>
>>50741997
>i'm a dumb fan of a bad author

That's nice. How else will you try to overlook the countless issues in his writing, I wonder?
>>
>>50742019
You complain about soapboxing but then soapbox yourself. Be self-aware if you're going to be critical at least, you seem more then intelligent enough to do that.
I'm >>50741839 guy; I found the books kinda fun, but largely forgettable when you compare them to all the other examples of the genre it belongs in just like all the other examples of the genre it belongs in.
It's silly and meaningless and fun for some but weird and stupid to others, much like a /tg/ activity.

I guess my opinion is "it's a thing".
I don't really feel particularly strongly about it one way or the other because there isn't much there worth feeling strongly about in the first place.
>>
>>50742066
Then why come onto the thread at all?
>>
>>50742078
Because I've played the trpg you and wanted to give my two cents on the rules system and point out the upsides and downsides of it and pre-warn the person of the difficulties he or she will run into.

You know?
The entire supposed point of this fucking board?
I
>>
>>50742100
Why'd you play it if you didn't like the books?
>>
>>50742111
Because my group wanted too?
I hadn't even HEARD of the books before I played the DFRPG, and later my wife convinced me to read them.
>>
>>50742066
>you complain about soapboxing but then soapbox yourself.

I didn't know I was writing a novel here.
>>
>>50742111
>Why'd you play it if you didn't like the books?

If it's what his group plays why wouldn't he try it? I'm currently playing M&M because my group is and I can't stand general capeshit.
>>
>Almost threw a lot of the Dresden books down because I gagged at their awfullness sometimes
>Still can't wait for the next one since I want to find out what happens with Harry

Is it so unreasonable to say that while the books are far from perfect I still enjoy them?
>No release date on Peace Talks yet
>>
>>50742269
I reread them recently, and I saw a whole lot more mistakes than when I read them originally. But I still enjoyed it. What is it about this book series that makes it enjoyable?
>>
>>50742269
No.
>>50742160
No, but you certainly seem intent on proving yourself "right" as if you opinion on a subjective piece of enterainment is somehow more valid or even relevant to this discussion or board, in addition to trying to turn people into strawman just so you can feel more "right".
I wasn't invalidating your opinion of the novels, it's as valid as any opinion. I was merely correcting your facts, which were misinformed or incorrect somehow.

Now if we can move past the astoundingly inane discussion and get back to the actual reason you came onto this thread, namely the trpg I should think?
>>
>>50742316
What kind of magical autist are you?

Dumb books have a lot to be complained about, and all you've got is fanaticism that lets you gloss over those issues.

Spare me your preaching, especially since you don't seem to understand your own hypocrisy.
>>
>>50742303
>What is it about this book series that makes it enjoyable?
I like the overarching conspiracy plot.
I'm excited to see the other wizards do cool shit. We already had one cool scene with Listens to Wind vs the Naglooshi.
I also like Mab.

I don't like the pantheons of Gods joining the Fray though, seems too much to me but maybe its personal taste.
I love Nicodemus but I don't understand why he's doing what he's doing other than because hurr durr bad guy,.

I think it's just the language sometimes that I hate.
Dresden has access to a subconcious instantaneous wikipedia of sorts when on his island.
Jim decided to name this interesting power "Intellectus".

INTELLECT-US.
Fuck you Jim you lazy hack.
>>
>>50742358
>What kind of magical autist are you?
The kind who's on /tg/ right now and not /lit/. Tell me, what board are you on?
>Dumb books have a lot to be complained about, and all you've got is fanaticism that lets you gloss over those issues.
I don't even care. The fact that YOU care so much is what weirds me out.
Like I said, I can't even really recall the details of the novels because they blend together with every other thing in the genre. I've ever read of watched; I genuinely couldn't tell you if a plot was from Dresden book or a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode or that one novel series that the author uses as therapy and mastubatory fodder or what.
I remember Harry, his apprentice, his brother and the cop. That's about it.
>Spare me your preaching, especially since you don't seem to understand your own hypocrisy.
What AM I preaching? Exactly?
What is it you think I am trying so desperately to convince you of?
Use clear and defined terms and clarify.
>>
>>50742420
Whoa dude, sorry that someone said something to hurt your feelings about your favorite book series.
>>
>>50742641
Ah, I see.
Well played Sir.
>>
File: 1479568058393.jpg (68KB, 316x512px) Image search: [Google]
1479568058393.jpg
68KB, 316x512px
>>50729954
>>50741961
>mfw Listens to Wind proceeds to no sell everything the skin walker throws at him and then beat it at its own game. Can't get enough.
>>
>>50742685
Don't mean to bind or banish you, old ghost.
Just gonna kick your ass between your ears.

How long before we get to see the next high tier wizard throw down?
>>
>>50742733
Probably next book I think?
Peace Talks will likely involve many council members.
>>
The DFRPG takes place in your town and you are the main characters who are clued in normies, wizards, werewolfs, fey or what have you.

Before you play the first game, the entire group participates in world building. You decide where magical hotspots are and what not.

For example, a hotel in town is a known front for the Red Court, a local bar is a typical magic user hang out, a gym is the local hangout for roid raging werewolfs, a bus station is actually a pretty commonly used entrance to the way and connects to the winter court, shit like that.

Common names around town are the faces for magic, beasties, and fey.

The DM and the players all work together to establish this right off so everyone knows what is where, who is who, and is on the same page plus everyone is invested in the world you made to make it a little more personal for each person at the table.

After that is established, THEN the players make characters and you start dicking around with story ideas, overarching threats, and all that jazz as a DM.

It is a shit load more of a set-up than pretty much any other RPG I have played, however, it does make it a pretty solid world and makes for really good story telling because everyone is on the same page and less likely to just burn shit down because then they are fucking up their home town, loved ones, and dealing with legitimate at home problems.
>>
>>50742751
>It is a shit load more of a set-up than pretty much any other RPG I have played, however, it does make it a pretty solid world and makes for really good story telling because everyone is on the same page and less likely to just burn shit down because then they are fucking up their home town, loved ones, and dealing with legitimate at home problems.
Basing an RPG around where you all live is a pretty cool idea as opposed to generic fantasy land 1437.89
>>
The old rpg is really fun. I didn't know they were putting out an Accelerated version. Sounds interesting.
>>
>>50726871

Morgan was objectively one of the most awesome dudes around.
>>
>>50729954

pretty sure Wind's was reciting a Navajo prayer there, but i could be wrong.
>>
>>50730278

They're perfectly fine for what they are. Certainly better than his other series. Fun books with some decent world building and neat characters.
>>
So how many of you figure he gets with molly, at least once? I say probably. Got one kid with a vamp (sorta), one with a fallen angel. Probably won't get a kid with a mortal, but i could see kid with a fae, and molly is prime candidate. That or he already made one with Mab.

>And this is my new daughter, guess who's the father
>Daddy!
>Oh hell's bells.
>>
>>50743061
He would never. Everything time they're together he'd see Michael in his minds eye, shaking his head.
>>
>>50743061
Only if Mab dies and Molly get promoted.
In the most recent short story he did Molly tried to band Ramirez and she ended up ripping his cock off. Her mantle revolves around "maidenhood" after all and her mantle acted to protect itself.
>>
>>50743160

you are assuming he will be in his right mind and or have a choice in the mater.
>>
>>50743174

You are shitting me. No fucking way. Makes no sense with how Mieve used to act.
>>
>>50743174
bang*
>>
>>50743193
It's called Cold Case.
Not a bad short story.

You're right, it certainly does put Maeve in a different perspective.
Then again, I can see Maeve getting off on doing that to men on purpose.
>>
>>50743174
I like the series but that's too retarded even for my taste.
>>
>>50743206

I mean in a way it makes all to much sense with Maeve, but i swear we had canon of her fucking slate, among others.

did they fix his dick? Or is the Spaniard now perma virgin?
>>
>>50743174
Jesus!
Poor fucking Carlos!
Guy was my favorite character!
>>50743193
This >>50743206 Maeve probably liked the black widow thing and killed whoever she was with as a matter of course.
>>
>>50743247
Mab watches over him at the end.
She basically manipulated Molly into doing it, so she'd learn the price of being the winter Lady.

Ramirez will be fine I'm sure, just understandably shaken.
>>
Aright,so molly is not for the vaginal penetration. Buttstuff and oral may still be possibilities.
>>
>>50743174
Ramirez no! Dude was already a wizard. He didn't need to go that far.

>Queen that's yet to come
You're tellin me
>>
>>50741404
>>50741621
In premise yes you have Dresden factions as WoD books.

In practice as Anon stated how the masquerade is handled is vastly different. In WoD of Harry's spells wouldn't work half the time because sleepers can counter spells by disbelief. A big part of WoD is that sleepers are unconsciously powerful as a group and are an environmental hazard.

In Dresden sleepers are 95% of a population and have advanced way further than the middle ages. If they start to understand they will act without regard in a burn the witch approach. Only now sleepers have AH-64s and stealth bombers and burn the witch is now nude this city.
>>
>>50743247
>>50743252
It sounds like, from a summary, he's injured, but Mab steps in to save him, which has got to be God damned embarrassing for everyone involved.
>>
Dammit Butcher why you do this? It's just too much.
>>
>>50743334
We also now know part of the reason Mab has kept Dresden & Molly apart.
Heightened libido on both sides.

Kind of a shame Dresden is too much of a wuss to do anything about it.
Not saying rape but surely a couple of fey sluts would give it up for the winter knight.

"WAAAH WAAAH What if I get corrupted?"
Mab hasn't even really asked him to do anything evil yet.
>Kill my infected daughter and save the world
>Work with Nicodemus then betray him
Wow what a moral dilemma...not.
>>
>>50743416

She's breaking him in slowly.
>>
>>50742751
Making the setting your hometown sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see which local big wig ends up being what.
>>
>>50743584
We used Portland for our game and made it big base for the Ventori Umbrorum since it was mentioned in one of those books that they had a huge safe house near there or something.
>>
I wish Butcher would give us some more information on the Jade Court of vampires.
>>
>>50743650
I am thoroughly convinced the sole reason people are interested in the Jade court is because they're from Asia.

Doesn't seem like they know about or care about Dresden too much though.
I'd rather see Dresden go up against Mavra again, she's still skulking around somewhere.
The White court will no doubt try some shit in future too.
>>
>>50743650
I actually houseruled a bunch of shit for then based on jiangshi/xiongshi/Chinese vampires and made them an active faction in my group's game.
>>
>>50743717
what do chinese vampires do that's different from white/red/black?
As in within actual asian folklore.
>>
>>50743739
They dress in traditional Chinese clothes, have a long forked tongue, and rigor mortis means they can't move fluidly, forcing them to hop around like grasshoppers. Yeah that last part sounds kind of stupid.
>>
>>50743772
A whole court of Mollys?! Sign me up!
>>
>>50743739
They have lots of weird habits and strange weaknesses and are more zombie-like in appearance, and they don't drink blood but suck out your qi (literally the steal the breath from you).

In my game they had these traits;
>Started human, die, but get life "breathed" back into them by the one that creates them. They are "alive" still but the life is warped by their resurrection.
>Personality is the same, but more feral and predatory due to the nature of the resurrection; only their "Hun", the lower soul, comes back to inhabit the body.
>Look perfectly normal until they get angry and fight or feed, at which point their skin turns bluish green. This is actually from mythology, blue/green skin is a sign of demonic intent or possession in Chinese culture.
>Strong, fast, regeneration, claws.
>They are EXTREME sticklers for rules and behavior, matching what Shiro Yoshimo said about them abiding by the accords.
>Feed by sucking the breath out of people. Victims look like they suffocated.
>They can jump REALLY high, Wuxia style. This actually is a more dramatic and less silly thing from myth; the literal translation of jiangshi/xiongshi is "hopping corpse" and they are supposed to hop everywhere.
>Weaknesses are harder to pin down; they are vulnerable to peachwood, which is sacred in China. Weapons made out of it inhibit their regeneration.
>>
File: IMG_3637.png (128KB, 368x535px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3637.png
128KB, 368x535px
>>50743857
>blue skin
>hopping

Oooooh!
I get it now.
>>
>>50743857

that's pretty good actually. If the skin turned more green than blue it would make the jade court thing make even more sense imo.

>>50743797

It took me way to long to get that joke still only giving it a 6/10.
>>
>>50743888
It was a toss up between making the Jade thing make sense and keeping it relatively close to the myth.
Speaking of myths, did you know aside from the skin-suit thing the Red Court is actually based off of a real mythological creature?
>>
>>50743739
At night, taoshi animate corpses to walk around because it's easier than carrying them. They put a scroll on their forehead with commands to carry out, similar to a golem. If the scroll is removed then it becomes free and usually runs around draining people of their yang energy (it's driven to do this because only the yin half of the soul stays in the body after death - the part that governs raw desires and impulses but not conscious thought).

But apart from jiangshi, see also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preta
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xian_(Taoism) (specifically Guǐxiān)
>>
>>50743888
>6/10
Fair enough
>>
>>50743347
That would mean he owes Mab, right?
>>
>>50744094
Mab-y
>>
>>50743912

do tell? I've found he usually does his research, but the courts always seemed kinda out there to me other than the black.
>>
>>50744136
The White Court are completely made up as far as I know, though they might be a potential parody of the Twilight Vampires (glowy skin, abusive emotional relationships).
Reds clearly take inspiration from the Camatzoz, a humanoid bat demon-deity worshipped in Mesoamerican and Mayan cultures that was offered blood sacrifices to stay it's wrath.

The narcotic drool seemed to be there to reinforce the "drug cartel" angle, but the physical description of the Reds (oversized humanoid bat) and their worshiper-gathering seems pretty spot on.
>>
I'd love to incorporate the Wild Hunt, but I get the feeling my players would try and duke it out anyways. Any ideas that might keep them from killing themselves?
>>
>>50744094
Depends.
It was winter that hurt him too.

Also Mab helped because Molly asked her to, not Ramirez.
>>
File: every NiceDaemonette post ever.jpg (25KB, 277x296px) Image search: [Google]
every NiceDaemonette post ever.jpg
25KB, 277x296px
>>50742358
are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>50743174
Impression I got was just that she sliced him up a bunch and rebroke his back.
>>
>>50745941
Re-read that part.
She mentions something plugging the bath...about 7-8 inches long...and pink.
>>
>>50745992
Pretty sure that's referring to the depth of the water.

>I looked down at the water. The drain stopper was down, and it was seven or eight inches deep. And pink.

Drain stopper is the usual, mundane one, and the second part of the second sentence refers back to the water. Pretty sure he'd have used the word 'obstruction' or 'blockage' instead. And it would be more brown, then, yeah?
>>
>>50746045
Not on the inside.
>>
>>50746045
Go ask Butcher to confirm.
That sounds like a cock reference to me.

Otherwise who gives a shit about what color the stopper is?
>>
>>50746104
>>50746111
Still sounds like color is referring to the bloody water.
>>
>>50746111

Colour refers to the water there, genius.
>>
>>50746162
Well have a cup of fuck you, cuntface.
>>
>>50746179

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Go and wash it out with a beretta, retard.
>>
>>50743174
>Molly tried to band Ramirez
Wait, have they even exchanged more than pleasantries in the books? Also, after he Ramirez fucking SOULGAZED LARA RAITH, Ramirez should fucking know "Do not fuck women with very literal inner demons, it does not turn out well".
>>
>>50747238

they had some chemistry. it wasn't just an out of nowhere thing there is justification in earlier books. Thin, but there.
>>
>>50730278
Fanfiction-tier
>>
>>50741688
I'm not going to sperg out about soggy knees like some people, but it's not particularly good writing
>>
>>50730278
Butcher is the type of guy that writes a whole book series on a bet. The books aren't great and he'd obviously just having fun writing about a wizard detective but sometimes I want to sit down and read about a wizard detective blowing vampires the fuck up.
>>
>>50730278
Embarrassing. Worse than fanfic.
>>
>>50745941
You're right. The other anon has the reading comprehension of a nigger.
>>
>>50743700
>I am thoroughly convinced the sole reason people are interested in the Jade court is because they're from Asia.

I'm interested because they are said to be dangerous and powerful and we don't know shit about them.
>>
>>50730278
Best pulpy, urban fantasy of our generation. I feel like we don't get many books as self-aware as it anymore. Makes me long for the days where we got mass-produced / ghost written stories like the Destroyer / Remo Williams series and such.
>>
>>50722429
>Dresden Files Accelerated
Go and read that reply chain again real quick bud.
>>
>>50741445
Bombshells short story.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.