[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Music for Pencil and Paper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

File: diablo.jpg (63KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
diablo.jpg
63KB, 300x300px
What's the best music to listen to while playing D&D? I have a friend who swears by pic related.
>>
I'm a big fan of playing Lord of the Rings Online music, that shit is great.

Althougj last session we put on that yule log channel and played Christmas music because we were playing some DCC holiday modules. Talk about being comfy.
>>
I've been really into dungeon synth stuff recently; its goal is to like recreate a fantasy atmosphere. Depressive Silence are the most well-known group I think; I really like Daoine Sidhe, Caduceus, and Solanum. Also, this plunderphonics dude named chris††† released an album that really sounds like dungeon synth called "a better place."
>>
Country music is best travel music
>>
File: divine divinity.jpg (74KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
divine divinity.jpg
74KB, 1024x768px
>>50710391
If we're talking about a typical goofy as fuck D&D game I've never found anything better than the Divinity soundtracks.
>>
File: 1450867621734.jpg (1MB, 1066x2948px) Image search: [Google]
1450867621734.jpg
1MB, 1066x2948px
Shit nigga I have playlists upon playlists of DnD music.

Much more than what I could actually feasibly ever play over the course of a campaign.

Overrated
>LoTR music is nice, but it lacks the consistency for me to put it into a playlist. It goes from combat music to ambiance music in the same song. Really kills a mood.
>Two Steps from Hell is garbage, and I don't know why people recommend it over and over again.

>Warcraft3/World of Warcraft has fucking tons of atmosphere relevant music
>HoMM series, 3+5 has some good tunes
>The Witcher series

Theres alot of lesser known games with great music
>Hand of Fate
>Age of Mythology
>Of Orcs and Men
>>
Overlord and Overlord II's OST is lesser known and very, very good. I like it because most of its combat music fits any situation. Isn't too "epic" and isn't too bland either. I also use the Severance Blade of Darkness OST for more horror based encounters. For a few western games I ran, the Call of Juarez OSTs were excellent as well.

Anyone else have other music that fits this criteria? I like to have a lot of standard battle music, but hate when it's all filled with too much chorus or the like. Also not a fan of anything that's well known since I've noticed it distracts players. Nothing is worse than "Oh, is this from [insert game]!" during an encounter.
>>
>>50710897
Styx Master of Shadows can be included in the last list as well, but no one has fucking posted the soundtrack on Youtube
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6otXDTS0KU

I hate going to video games for music, but stronghold's got some pretty good background music.
>>
File: 0cAiKlT.jpg (44KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
0cAiKlT.jpg
44KB, 500x258px
>>50710640
>party traveling through swampland
>dueling banjos starts playing
>party readies weapons and starts trying to roll initiative
>>
File: IMPERATOR.jpg (80KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMPERATOR.jpg
80KB, 600x600px
>>50710391
The Jeff van Dyke soundtracks for the Total War games (especially Rome, Medieval 2, and Shogun 2) are awesome for this sort of thing. Just use the campaign music for out-of-combat stuff and the skirmish music for combat.
>>
File: 51tFuJdq-wL.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51tFuJdq-wL.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
Pretty much any '90s action-adventure movie soundtrack works.

This one's my personal favorite.
>>
I prefer an ambient sounds. But it's hard as fuck to find a good desert or wasteland ambient.
>>
File: a1045177072_10.jpg (152KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a1045177072_10.jpg
152KB, 1200x1200px
>>50710391
this chanel has the greatest dungeon exploration music i've used in many years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lBu1mzzWZg
>>
>>50711427
For some reason the Waterworld videogame has a 10/10 soundtrack, despite being nigh unplayable.
>>
File: 1468083452786.jpg (43KB, 495x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468083452786.jpg
43KB, 495x480px
>>50710897
>this list

>>50710525
God dungeon synth is great, all the enjoyable parts of black metal without pretentious "enlightened" musicians.

I try to emphasize a sort of muted/quiet atmosphere in my games so Firelink Shrine gets played constantly, alongside much of the DaSouls tracks.
>>
CONAN
>>
Look at the legend of Grimrock games. They have some really good ambiance music. I think the guy who made the themes is on soundcloud, so you can download them there. No good battle themes though.
>>
File: Warhammer_4157b2_5847907.jpg (142KB, 680x890px) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer_4157b2_5847907.jpg
142KB, 680x890px
>>50710391
I mostly use the soundtrack of Brütal Legend, Darkest Dungeon and Vermintide for my warhammer fantasy games.
Also various movie soundtracks, Paul Haslinger, Marco Beltrami and Hans Zimmer, again for most parts. I've heard of many GMs that like to use Howard Shores Lord of the Rings soundtrack, but that is by far to easy to recognise and I don't want my players to remember completely different scenes to what is going on in the game.
>>
>>50710391
Binding of Isaac has a pretty good soundtrack.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.