[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Modern Technology you'd like to see in Zombie settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 7

File: hesco-image_0.jpg (27KB, 920x516px) Image search: [Google]
hesco-image_0.jpg
27KB, 920x516px
AKA ITT: Why Zmbie APocolypses would not be the end of the world.

Pic Related, It's a HESCO barrier. IT's a wire box with heavy duty fabric. You place one of these down, Fill it with dirt or rocks or rubble or paper or what ever the fuck you have enough of, And it's a solid Bullet proof barrier that can be anywhere from a meter to multiple meters tall.

And look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq18pOihjyk You can have ultra fast deployment of this, with just three or four dirt moving machines and some guards/supporitng units, You can have a quarantine zone set up with in mere hours or a forward base of operations with in a day.
>>
File: militaryblastconbig.jpg (51KB, 550x394px) Image search: [Google]
militaryblastconbig.jpg
51KB, 550x394px
>>50706881
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_lsmE_EwEE

See how straight forward and fast [with out editing i bet it took like, two hours max to do that job] it is to set up a firing position?

Yeah it would not resist a massive hoard of zombeis all pushing on it at once, But it would Still be effective at holding off civil unrest and small hoards.

larger sizes, or doublethick walls for those larger sizes would be enough to hold back most hoards I'd expect.
>>
Hope that you nigger are ready for some +200 kilo zombie survivalist to wander in and start to preach how muh WWZ totes proves that modern artillery 6 armor can't deal with zombies and how katana is the supreme anti-zombie melee weapon.
>>
>>50706881
As interesting as I find this stuff (never knew that was what those big sand-blocks I've seen in a million FPS' were called), the reality is that all of fiction is contrived, and zombie apocalypse fiction is no exception.

The people who write these stories are not interested in strict realism. If they were, they wouldn't be writing zombie fiction in the first place. No, they're interested in telling stories about people surviving (or at least, trying to survive) the end of the world. To that end, zombies are invariably blown up to be a far bigger threat than real-world logic would dictate, because that makes for a better story. Likewise, realism is only observed insofar as it makes the story more dramatic.

If having zombies overrun the Earth with ease would establish them as a serious threat, then that's what will happen. If the human characters having to carefully ration their food and water raises the narrative stakes, then that's what will happen. Having the zombie hordes (yes, it's spelt "hordes", not "hoards") be instantly annihilated by the US Army would not make the story any better. It would actually ensure that there was no story in the first place. That is why no writer ever does it.
>>
>>50706881

If all it took to take apart the modern world was angry humans China would have done it already. Between the effects of weather distance and your main prey being highly intelligent more mobile beings that will be likely be armed the zombie apocalypse wont accomplish much.. Hell most of the stumbling starving shlubs will end up crippling themselves when their feet start to break off from frostbite and their body not healing every time they stub their toe and damage tissue.We dont even need a military with weapons that could literally tear them apart while wearing gasp and shock something you couldnt just bite throuygh
>>
>>50707139
VAlid points, But I feel that one can focus on the stories of the Armies if they want.

Or, Dealing with the fact that zombies are a thing, even if they don't tear the world down the fact of the matter is that The undead/infected are a very real threat. The Bubonic Plague and Influenza slaughtered millions and millions respectively, add in those casualties standing back up to fuck over the next guy in addition to the usual paths of infection, then there is still a global threat and a story to be told.

Riots and civil unrest would be particularly rough, Because who's to say what's happening at the center of the human-masses? is it just angry people being angry? Or is there a few zombies mixed in spreading, resulting in a city wide shut down as the Military police struggle to clean up the streets sufficently.
>>
>>50707204
But then it's not a zombie apocalypse story any more. It's a police procedural set in the most unstable city ever. Or possibly a dystopia novel.

Either way, it's not the story that zombie writers are interested in telling, so telling them to do so is going to fall on deaf ears.
>>
>>50707238
... dude. It's a Zombie story. That I, or people like my self would write. I am not directly asking other's to write what I want, I am sharing technology I'd like to see in a Zombie story, and fishing for others who may have simmilar ideas as my self, or different ones for that matter, and are willing to share cool technology that would be readily applied to the threat of Zombies.

It's an exploration of human adaptability and ingenuity, reacting to stresses and applying information. Yeah, It's at a less intense level than your standard zombie apocalypse, But that's just cause we want our humans to not be pants on head retarded..
>>
Tbh the apocalypse part in zombie apocalypse-scenario should be less about >muh zombies ate everyone and more >muh pandemic and societal breakdown that followed it killed everyone with zombies just being one of the symptoms of the killer plague.
>>
>>50707260
>It's an exploration of human adaptability and ingenuity, reacting to stresses and applying information.

It is wish fulfillment with a large side order of self-congratulatory everyone but me is a brain dead sheeple with no free will.
>>
>>50707260
And furthermore, I'd like to see this kinda tech applied to other kinds of settings too. Look at this shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRF965uZI1Q Roll this out over some HESCO barriers and bam, A reinforced structure. I could see the IG or UNSC loving this shit! Using gubbins-talk to make it more futuristic of course.
>>
>>50706881
There is a zombie plague simulation where you set the location of the outbreak, and the speed, and watch it go from there. It is a bit disappointing, in that if the average zombie moves at three miles per hour, it will not go anywhere fast, and it is likely to be contained.
>>
>>50707285
you're thinking of the full on apocalypse survivors. I'm talking about society as a whole applying skills and information as an effort to combat the problems detailed in this annon's post >>50707263

All of what we do here on TG is either bitching or wish fulfillment in the end anyways, so kindly toss that shit in the bin and move on.
>>
>>50707300
can we have a link or more exact search terms? GOogle is chocked full of zombie simulations.
>>
>>50707057
Actually, as it is, Max Brooks seems to think the Shaolin Spade is the ultimate anti-zombie weapon. I can't tell you why, but it is what it is. He even goes so far as to claim an old Shinto guy in WWZ has one under a different name.
>>
>>50707260
If you want to see it written, write it. Don't expect someone else to serve you the narrative you want on a silver platter. At the very least seek out stories like this that already exist and put your money into them. That's the only way to actually encourage the kind of media you want to see.
>>
>>50707305
Just read military fiction. That's literally all that shit is. Zombies are unnecessary and only serve to overcomplicate.
>>
>>50707335
>>50707349
Shit on a sandwhich you people are thick as fuck.

I'm looking to discuss these ideas. I want to share ideas, ANd generate new ones from intermingling. Other people have perspectives that I don't and I want to learn from them.

And before you get all high and mighty, Yeah, I see you and your shitty perspective, It exists, It is not contextually useful to my goals of learning about more technology and ideas, it is disregarded.

And again, before you tell me to fuck off and do my own research, I am. You folks are part of it.
>>
>>50707369
Well, let's start with a clarification then. What kind of zombies are we talking about? Classic Romero flesh eaters who only die if you shoot them in the head right?

This seems kinda pedantic, but it's pretty important. Look at something like the WWZ movie where the zombies are basically designed to be really difficult for even a modern military to react well to.
>>
>>50707260
>>50707288
...Except that you're framing it as a rebuttal to every other zombie setting out there, as something that would "obviously" make short work of the zombies.

No fucking shit. Hey, guess what? The dog-fights in Star Wars make no sense - spaceships don't move like WW2 fighter-planes! Hey, guess what? Smaug from the Hobbit makes no sense - a creature that large would never be able to fly, no matter how big its wings! Hey, guess what? Zombies make no sense - corpses can't move after they've lost brain function!

Hey, guess what? No-one fucking cares! People want stories about surviving a catastrophe, not stories about how the catastrophe would be resolved in ten minutes. They want stories with struggle and drama, not some smug nerd jacking off about how ~smart and resourceful~ humans are.

>>50707349
Also this. Seriously. All the military-wank that you want out of zombie fiction can already be achieved elsewhere.
>>
>>50706881
The only way this kind of thing would be interesting was if zombies were either literally unkillable like in Return of the Living dead, or just kinda happened randomly. Otherwise this would probably get mopped up pretty quickly.

I imagine if it started in a third world country it would kill a decent number of people, but would get swept up by a major nation within weeks if not days. Assuming your standard slow shambling zombies that is. Even more so if bites take a while to infect people. It would probably never even come to having to use walls like this because it would get cleaned up so quickly. If it started in a first world nation? Then it might be a little more interesting, at least from a media side of things. I can't speak to the actual government policies surrounding extreme paranormal stuff like this, but I doubt they would bother keeping it under wraps. Honestly the biggest danger would be from rioters and looters who might take advantage of momentary panic. Even then it would only be in passing, maybe a week or two.

Then the questions of how this actually happened start to get raised, the science behind it, and then maybe stuff gets interesting.
>>
>>50707399
>>50707389
I have realised now that I have improperly presented my intent here.

I am not trying to rebut other zombie media outright. And I am not tryign to create a setting where it's all solved and peachykeen. I believe I should Drop it for now and come back at this with better wording and a clear intent at a later date.

Clarification guy: I agree with you, It is an important distinction that pretty much fundamentally changes the way the story is told. Shamblers are presented as the creeping unrelenting death, the inevitable. While Sprinter/rabid zombies like 28 days later are more along the lines of Apex predator threat, that is just as mindlessly unrelenting. two different themes entirely.

In this case, the barriers and shit would be very very effective at at least redirecting shamblers, while only being semi-useful against 28 days later rage zombies due to the whole sudden parkour skills they seem to aquire.
>>
>>50707455
I was always thinking that the infectious medium would be normal as well as zombie bites. Perhaps zombie bites are a neigh on guaranteed infection while the airborne/waterborne variants are a 60% kill rate, with half of those deaths being Zombies.
>>
>>50707463
I get where you're coming from. I guess the question would then be what the actual background is.

You could go he Left 4 Dead route and have the virus actually just be airborne, but a decent number of people are immune but have to deal with the rapid undead.

The return of the living dead route is also kinda interesting. The zombies are completely indestructible. Any part of the body left will be animate and homicidial, and it spreads through contact with a chemical in their body.

I guess what I'm saying is, the question becomes how do you make it a problem without making it resort to the good guys being incompetent. Which I get, but it's something that requires definite rules of engagement.
>>
>>50707485
perhaps we could look at a scenario where a disease spreadthrough a significant portion of the world, not a majority, just a bunch. It was a sniffle, A stomach ache, A headache, A gunk to get over. all's well, But ten years later, a few people who were exposed to it come down with a new strain that leaves them acting like Zombie Land Zombies. Kinda like how chickenpox can lead to Shingles later in life. this gets a pretty large population under the threat of infection, and has Zombies popping up through out the world and in all different levels of government, military and business. Holes are punched in the hierarchies and riots break out, the usual. Over the timespan of a year or so most of the incubating cases wither die from the zombiepox or turn into zombies.
>>
>>50707485
In Left 4 Dead, it's not clear how the zombie virus operates. In the supplementary comic, a scientist states that sometimes it seems to be airborne, sometimes water-borne, sometimes in food, sometimes spread by mosquitos, and so on.

Also, the Special Infected are a thing, which complicates matters even further. All these "easy" defences seem a lot less effective when you've got Tanks to worry about.
>>
>>50707534
Yeah. It turns from 'easy/workable' defense to 'first line of defense to buy time to set up the second line of defence
>>
I've always wanted some kind of zombie media that had a competent military force try to clean up the infection but it seems that most people into the zombie genre just want an excuse to shoot their neighbors and take their stuff. Also something about man being the real monster or something equally hamfisted.
>>
>>50707057
did you not get to the parts where the military is retrained and shits all over the zombies, the artillery scene was due to sheer numbers not the artillery's effectiveness iirc, and fuck I have become that guy

>>50707321
is that what the blind Japanese guy in the forest uses, and what do you think Max thinks is the best weapon to deal with a minecraft zombie now that he's moved on to that "book"
>>
>>50707139
Zombie is a code word for black people. Why do you think it's only white guys preparing for it?
>>
>>50707588
Yeah, I don't get why you have to have a bumfuck stupid military in Zombie stories for it to be 'correct'

>>50707607
he prolly did, But he's referencing the multitudes of folks who ignore that turn around and only focus on the military's failures.

What's this about a minecraft zombie?

>>50707617
because white people generally dominate the production of mass media in the united states in both the role of producer and actor?
>>
>>50707640
https://mojang.com/2016/09/max-brooks-is-writing-a-minecraft-novel-oh-yes/
>>
>>50707532
Hey that's pretty good, and honestly pretty original as far as I know. I like the idea of potential zombpox incubators being quarantined and segregated, even if they might have never even had it to begin with. It certainly opens up new narrative options to say the least.

Fast or slow zombies?
>>
>>50707057
I mean let's be honest a conventional he shell would not have the same kill radius on zombies as it would humans as they do not need the same vital functions, which would cause their bodies to lock up and cease functioning within a day as their joints would no longer work. But assuming that the initial impact pastes ten zombies then it is upto luck after that for head wounds.
Air burst would demolish hordes though, but max had to write the military as incompetent or there would not be much of a book.
>>
>>50707477
The best infection medium is NOTLD style where everyone is infected, but bites make you rapidly change, anyone else that dies of a non brain kill method gets back up.
>>
File: IMG_2075.jpg (193KB, 949x591px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2075.jpg
193KB, 949x591px
We can look at the green plague from left 4 dead as a serious zombie virus. It mutates randomly, is airborne from time to time, sends humans into raging lunatics, and severely mutates some people into horrible monsters
>>
>>50708064
The military also seems almost competent but just completely overwhelmed.
>>
>>50708064
And don't forget about carriers
>>
>>50707640
>Yeah, I don't get why you have to have a bumfuck stupid military in Zombie stories for it to be 'correct'
Because they got their start in the 60's, which was the peak of "the military is evul!" thinking, and people still project that image of the US army breaking down in Vietnam onto the military in a zombie apocalypse scenario
Which, admittedly, is somewhat realistic because the zombie apocalypse probably would wear down any army to breaking point, but like a lot of stuff in zombie fiction it happens way too fast just so the author can justify their plot where a few brave souls survive to build a new world
>>
>>50708070
I guess the military wasn't prepared for infected to turn into smokers, boomers, tanks, etc
>>
>>50708027
both, up to a medium run. any faster and they just topple over and eat pavement. it depends on all sorts of factors, health at death/zombification, duration of zombification, injuries, 'temperament' stuff like that. Zombie land seemed to have all different types of speeds for it's zombies, I liked it quite a bit.
>>
>>50708082
Also as the other anon points out, random people kept turning out to be immune but infectious and they turned so quickly the safe zones kept having to be moved around.
>>
>>50708064
>>50708070
>>50708071
>>50708082
>>50708092
Is left 4 dead one of the better zombie settings out there?
>>
>>50708105
I think so, but it's not super detailed beyond the small hints in the games and the one comic as far as I know. The special infected are also pretty hard to justify, but I like the idea of their mutations being a little more random than they are presented in game.
>>
>>50708105
I think so.
Also, wouldn't it be awesome if the midnight riders became the new survivors for L4D3 if it ever comes out?

https://youtu.be/-tqjVHE0MT4
>>
File: IMG_2076.jpg (106KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2076.jpg
106KB, 500x281px
>>50708082
I would shit myself if I saw a tank for the first time, even as a soldier with guns.
>>
>>50708155
Could the military even stop one of those without a lot of luck? I guess a TV guided atgm might do it, but it would be hard to pull off, most other weapons that could inflict mass damage to it seem like it would get too close for safe usage/arming time and too fast and erratic for wire guided munitions.
>>
>>50708203
4 people armed with whatever they managed to grab along the way can kill them with a lot of work, so a platoon working together should have a slightly easier time of it. Ironically enough dumbfire anti tank rockets would probably work best, either that or bait into a killzone and unload multiple light MG's into it.
>>
>>50708203
Run or shoot? Run or shoot?!
>>
>>50708233
4 people with inhuman durability and immunity to infection.
>>
>>50708252
Shoot. (yes, yes I know what you were referencing anon, you clever girl.)
>>
>>50708252
>>
>>50707139
>>50707189
This is pretty much the problem I have with zombie apocalypse stories. I get that almost all fiction reguires a suspension of disbelief, and normally I don't have any problems suspending my disbelief for the sake of the plot, but it doesn't take a particularly observant person to notice how almost every zombie story skips straight to the point where zombies have taken over the world without even trying to explain how we got to that point, because there really isn't a good explanation how it could happen (as far as infectious diseases go, zombie-ism doesn't even have a very good vector of spreading).

Not that there aren't any good zombie stories out there, but the good ones are the ones that just use zombies as a narrative tool and focus on relations between the survivors, and in most cases you could replace the zombies with almost any external threat that forces a disparate group of people to band together to survive.
>>
>>50707288
Pretty cool. I just wish they'd found an announcer who didn't have throat cancer.
>>
>>50708130
There are no women or black people in the 'Riders, so it will never happen.

Also
>Valve making a 3rd installment of anything
>>
>>50707321
I think the idea why the shaolin spade would be a really good weapon against zombies is that it has long enough reach that you can stay out of a zombie's reach (the shaft is longer than the zombi's arms) and the shape of the blade makes it good for decapitating zombies (just push it against the neck of a zombie trying to reach you, and it'll practicality decapitate itself by shabling towards you).
>>
>>50708325
>because there really isn't a good explanation how it could happen
Going to point to night of the living dead again because in its lore everyone is infected, so if you die of suffocation, you will reanimate into a zombie, if you bleed out, zombie, if you go flying through the window of your car at 100 mph and turn your skull into red paste, normal dead. Or you have the reanimator style undead spread through chemicals that can not be killed short of total body destruction, they are not normally infectious, but in some stories they are, but they will also sometimes retain human thought patterns.
>>
>>50708406
>(just push it against the neck of a zombie trying to reach you, and it'll practicality decapitate itself by shabling towards you).
Do you fuckers think that the human spine is made out of wet toilet paper?
>>
>>50708441
WWZ zombies seem to wary in toughness from scene to scene.
>tough enough to resists blast damage from modern artillery but yet frail enough that a regular human being with no real training can dispatch one easily
>>
>>50708502
>WWZ zombies seem to wary in toughness from scene to scene.
Honestly, most zombie fiction is like that, with zombies taking a lot of damage at first, and by the end the protagonists being capable of killing them with a light punch in the head.
>>
>>50707640
>Yeah, I don't get why you have to have a bumfuck stupid military in Zombie stories for it to be 'correct'
Otherwise there will not be much of a story.
>>
>>50707057
>>50707607
You know what, Max Brooks's stuff isn't perfect, but he did get a few things right as far as making a zombie apocalypse a believable possibility.

1) The early spread of the plague by carriers makes it seem to appear all over the world at once... much like many real epidemics where the disease does not show symptoms immediately. As soon as sick people start getting on airplanes, containment becomes very difficult.

2) Human panic is initially a much bigger problem than the actual zombies. We know from history that panic & fear can sometimes do even more damage than the threat they are reacting to... and the chaos from that makes it easier for the zombie virus to "get started".

3) Most wars ultimately boil down to battles of resources, and zombies have several significant advantages in this regard. Most weapons designed to kill humans are inefficient against them, they don't need to feed or supply their "troops", and they don't suffer attrition in the normal way because they "convert" enemy casualties.

4) Humans can absolutely construct (or re-use) fortifications, as the OP points out, to stall the zombie advance more-or-less indefinitely. But it turns out the above advantages also make zombie hordes pretty damn good at sieges.

Now, you don't have to give each of those things the weight that Brooks does, but I think if you're writing your own piece, it will pay to at least give these things due consideration.
>>
>>50708406
>>50708441
I'm pretty sure the old Japanese guy that uses the spade swings it to decapitate. And then later discovers it's more effective to strike hard with the point into the bridge of the nose to cause "fatal" damage to the head. So no "automatic zombie decapitations" there.
>>
>>50707455
Yeah, you can look at some of the infections with the Ebola virus for how that spreads in the third world. Your relative died from it? Well, even though he is still infectious, why not continue the tradition of washing your dead? Your relative is still alive, but quarantined in a facility where people just go to die? Well, even though everyone there is infectious, might as well break him out of that place.
>>
>>50706881
>Why Zmbie APocolypses would not be the end of the world.
Because dead body decomposes COMPLETELY within 3 to 8 months, depending on weather and climate.
>>
>>50708105
Probably.

But if you want something really competent, try State of Decay. It makes a lot of good points AND makes the situation appear perfectly managable, only that there isn't enough resources thrown at it.

Especially the DLC where you play as military was great at this. Everyone knows what to do and guns are more than super-useful, plus everything is relatively under control. If you aren't a complete dolt, you can actually help stop things to a crawl for the zeds, buying everyone fuckload of time to fix/prepare/reorganise.
>>
>>50707588
>most people into the zombie genre just want an excuse to shoot their neighbors and take their stuff
this is true: also 'rescuing' a few dozen very young women of multiple races to keep (permanently) safe in a secure bunker while I impregnate them in between trips to loot jewelry stores.
>>50707617
Also pakis/muzzies in general.
>>
>>50708155
I wouldn't.
I don't start shitting myself until I shhot it 10 times in the head and it doean't die.
>>
>>50712003
This is why I fucking LOVE 28 days later, since it flat-out states this power fantasy is just plain retarded and you need to be insane to indulge in it
>>
>>50707588
Try State of Decay.
At first it looks like the military is playing the typical inefficient obnoxious idiot role. Then you learn how things are actually going.
And let's not forget the expansion, where YOU are the military.

Also, 28 days later, where induling in this fantasy is what gets them killed.
>>
>>50707588
If you have a competent military, then zombie apocalypse can't happen. It's that simple. The only exception is when the zeds are quick, so then the military can be competent and simply overwhelmed.

Just compare original and remake of Dawn of the dead. In the original, it's fucking IMPOSSIBLE that shit completely collapsed and everyone is dead or in some sort of fortified position, with no order or government. Cue remake, which due to fast zeds, managed to fuck up half of the world within 48 hours, because before anyone could react, most of the world was dead already.

Similarly, in 28 days later you have a plausable situation and then even more plausable quaranteen, since the virus spreads so fast you avoid another stupid cliche, the zombie infectee, since it's between 10 to 15 seconds and you are done. You might not even register you've been infected and you are already gone.
>>
>>50708726
>Implying Brooks did anything right in his books.

Let's face the sad truth - the guy ended up as a victim of his own success. "Guide" was written as open parody, a fucking mockery. But a lot of neckbearders read it and have taken it a lot more serious than anyone reasonable should, pretty much treating the content like a fucking Bible. It eventually escalated to the situation when publisher asked Brooks to do something about it and write more. Hence "War". And all the horrible, horrible shit that happens in "War" (I'm talking about absurd incompetence on human side and all the shit going around the world) is a direct effect of "lore" established in "Guide". In short - the book DEMANDED extremely incompetent military unable to use own assets at all and Napoleonic-era tactics to be employed, or the whole zombie apocalypse would be stopped flat within few weeks most and minimal casualities.
In the end, everyone hates Brooks for being complete idiot, while it was the idiots who made him popular and created demand for the stupid follow-up book to be blamed.

Said that, I still consider him a stupid, talentless hack. But at least I know why he did what he did.
>>
>>50706881
Let's list shit that should, but never shows up, for no real reason at all:
Competence
Logic
Basic reasoning
Bicycles
Renevable energy sources
Fences
Farming (often even gardening)
>>
Honestly, I'd just like to see a zombie apocalypse storie that isn't set in the US because the smaller military and fewer guns would change things up quite a bit.

For example, some time ago I set up a city near me as the area for such a game:

>literal medieval castle to conquer
>It also has some medieval weaponry
>university libraries have knowledge/equipment to rebuild lots of stuff
>packed historic city makes it easy to funnel hordes but also get ambushed
>old storage tunnels throughout the old areas for sneaking
>city center is an island between river and canal to set up civilisation again
>lots of small walled areas in historic city and former US base as player base
>spooky woods at the ede of the vally full of small, probably incestous settlements

I think there's just more to be done with a fleshed out game area than generic small town/big city. Granted, not everywhere works for that, but for example European areas can make great settings when the normal is now a frontier with it's unique dangers and treasures to explore.
>>
>>50712814
>I want to live up American power fantasy, but outside America!
Check out this brain-washed sheep.
And if you are American, then fuck off. We don't need your theme-park version of country X.
>>
>>50712860
>says he lives near a literal medieval castle
>And if you are American
>>
>>50712956
Then he's just a brainwashed sheep and should be treated accordingly. It's really that fucking simple.
>>
>>50712956
Well thanks to the afore mentioned US base there are a lot of Americans in the are, so it was a reasonable assumption.

>>50713048
>>50712860
The thing is I never considered zombie apocalypse to be a power fantasy. It's deeply rooted in American culture and tropes for sure, but I think it's more frequently used to make the characters confront mankind's own inhumanity when pushed to the extremes for survival.
>>
>>50706881
Zombies are such a stupid monster that literally the point of any zombie movie that understands the genre is "humans are more monstrous than monsters."
Technology from 3000 years ago is enough to beat a zombie, because you just club it to the ground like a normal person and then get back to focusing on a proper critique of modern human society; our unwillingness to accept personal responsibility, and ultimately our selfishness as being responsible for the collapse of our civilizations built upon mutual trust and cooperation in the face of threat.

Anything else is sheer wankery of "nuh-uh! My zombies are more dangerous because they can RUN."
Totally misses the point.
>>
>play zombie game
>can never buy/build a simple spear, one of the first weapons made, to kill zombies safely and keep them away from you

[Tired frogperson picture]
>>
>>50713097
>Not power fantasy
>Gunning your way though enemies
>Being the badass survivalist
>"I will do everything by myself" boothstrap bullshit
>Let's reinvent society as the way how writer seems fit
How this can be considered as anything else than power fantasy?
Granted, in Romero's prime it was all about DEpowering fantasy, since his films were nihilistic as fuck and everyone was just trapped in them, but ever since the whole "genre" turned into gun-wankery and might-make-right one step away from outright right-wing bullshit, with just absurd amounts of protag-centered morality.

>>50713737
I feel you
>>
>>50713698
>He thinks it's still Romero times and anyone cares about messages or themes
Anon, have you've been around lately? Dunno, heard about TWD, the franchise entirely running on being thinly-weiled powerwank fantasy, while pretending to be about heavy-hitting questions and tough choices?
>>
>>50707305
Mira Grant's Feed
>>
>>50712814
that shit would be pretty awesome, I agree. I could see places like east europe being an interesting place as well, Because the massive amoutns of slavshit floating around.
>>
>>50706881
Still waiting for a modern zombie apocalypse movie where it ends up being explicitly or implicitly magic and even cutting off a zombie's head doesn't stop both head and body from coming after you.
>>
>>50714753
Can't recall the title, but there was a B-movie about it. A bunch of mercs is hired by a historian (or so they think) to track down old Nazi base. Wacky nazis ofc experimented with other dimensions and ended up with mindless, but absolutely unkillable soldiers. The film plays like you typical zombie movie in terms of "enemy", but the "zeds" are just plain impossible to kill or stop, only limited by the distance from the original device. And the ending strongly implies they are no longer limited by it.
>>
>>50714679
Care to elaborate for a slav?
Because I'm not sure if I should start chewing you already, or wait a while to get more ammo delivered by you.
>>
>>50708406
The moon edge isn't actually sharp, in case you were wondering
>>
>>50712162
>you need to be insane to want to indulge in the monkey king harem fantasy
Nuh uh bro, it's primal as shit. Zombie fiction is basically a rejection of civilization, which is why people spontaneously become Mad Max style raiders, because that's what people with ties and mortgages imagine being a caveman was like, and they crave that simplicity.
>>
>>50712956
Medieval Times bruh
>>
>>50715042
Maybe you didn't notice, but 28 days later was about people with mortgages, who were completely revolted by the sole concept of soldiers - who live in barracks and have everything provided for them as part of their contract - wanting to indulge into harem fantasy.
And to drive point further, they were:
- perfectly willing to rape
- a 12 year old
- just a month after shit started to crumble
- which means about 2 weeks since society collapsed
>>
>>50715107
>- which means about 2 weeks since society collapsed
Let's face it, that film was not as well written as you claim
>>
>>50715124
What did you guys think of 28 weeks later?
>>
>>50714834
you might be thinking of Dead Snow and Dead Snow: Red vs Dead its sequel both a refreshingly fun time compared to all the so serious zombie shit that every "nerd" jerks off to
>>
>>50715107
>2 weeks
This.
From all we know, Wells and his soldiers were on that blockade for no more than three weeks, if movie posters can be treated as part of the lore and canon. Maybe even two. In that time one of them already contemplated suicide within half of that time and the rest went so fucking low they are all but one perfectly ok with gang-raping a girl that can barely qualify as a teen.
It wasn't months, it wasn't years. It was few days and they've cracked to subhuman level of degeneration.
>>
>>50715157
Nope, because those were parodies. And that film was straight-faced horror.
Plus there was no snow. A dusty bunker instead
>>
>>50715124
On the contrary, it was perfectly written. The entire film was one massive "fuck you" to all the cliches and tropes established in the genre.

And in the same time went back to the roots of the whole genre, giving a really nasty commentary on society and what keeps us going, rather than indulging in stupid power fantasy.
>>
>>50715198
>>rather than indulging in stupid power fantasy
>zombie rage superpowers
>full blood transfusion cure
C'mon now
>>
>>50714834
Outpost?
>>
>>50715147
Utter shit that destroyed the entire legacy of the original. A formulatic, generic piece of crap that took the first film, removed everything that made it good or original, crammed it to the choke-point with stupid cliches and convoluted plot devices and then gave the ending that was just plain stupid.

On the plus-side, it put Imogen Poots on the spotlight, which is good. But that's literally the only good thing about it.
>>
>>50715207
>Hey, let's bring the scrapped plot idea that the creators realised was stupid and should be scrapped before even moving past storyboard
Yeah, totally not an argument, anon

>>50715218
Yes, thanks
>>
File: 102313_1.1.jpg (75KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
102313_1.1.jpg
75KB, 900x600px
>>50715207
>I don't understand what power fantasy is: The Half-Witted Post
>>
>>50715147
On itself? A pretty meh film
Compared do days? Holy shit, what the fuck is this crap?!
>>
>>50715235
>it put Imogen Poots on the spotlight
Shame she then took role in Need for Speed and utterly trashed her career before it gained enough momentum, given the low exposure she had before.

But whenever I think about cute witch, I'm thinking about her Arinne
>>
I think the "what if all the zombies pushed at once" argument is overplayed, because even if the physics could be shown to work where zombies at the back of the queue could push those at the front with such force that they topple a building, it would turn at least the first few waves of zombies into gooey paste.

And all you'd need to do when designing your "fortress" against a zombie horde capable of doing that is prepare avenues of approach where the zombies can't get enough zombies behind the front rank to produce enough force to push the building down.

Imagine the difference between ten thousand zombies pushing down a city street against a barrier at the end of it, and one thousand zombies pressing against a barrier just around the L-shaped corner of that street, while the other nine thousand do nothing to add to the force threatening the barrier.
>>
>>50715518
It gets much simplier than that.
Just built a relativel small wall on the top of embarkment. Like a traditional fortress. Suddenly there can be a literal horde around, but due to a small, artificial hill the entire "push" is lost completely. You don't need even a wall, just a damn fence would be enough on top of it.
>>
>>50715662
This.
The alternative is digging a U-shaped trench in some distance before your wall or barricade. Not deep, not specially wide, but just there.
Or even better, combine those together (since you have all the soil from the ditch) and suddenly you have an impenetrable fortress. It can't be even easily taken by people, since ramming vehicles is rendered impossible due to the ditch.
>>
>>50715662
>>50715829
Reminds me that atrocious "defense" in TWD when they were still in prison.
>Be around for a year
>Don't secure the fence
>Don't dig a ditch in front of it
>Don't set up Czech hedgehogs all over the fence, but just around the gate
>Complain about zeds crawling all the way to the fence and damaging it
It could be justified if they were around for few weeks and only had Rick's group as their entire manpower. Instead they had 50 people around and didn't even set up basic fortifications for an entire year. A stuff such large pool of people can do within SINGLE DAY with absolutely most basic tools like picks, shovels and axes.
>>
>>50716062
How about Alexandria's wall?
>Set up a wall
>Put support beams on the outside
>>
>>50716131
>>50716062
The more you watch TWD the more obvious it becomes that the virus also causes mental retardation.
>everyone is infected
>everyone is also complete retard
>>
>>50716257
That would actually explain a lot of things. I mean... the longer the show runs, the more stupid everyone in it gets, rather than reverse. Remember how competent everyone was in first season, even if they were all thrown in into almost alien and still very surreal situation for them all?

Holy shit, this is now my head canon.
>>
>>50706881
Bicycles. They should be fucking everywhere.

Heavy-duty construction machines. They should be also everywhere, since nobody is guarding the shit and the entire premise of such setting is "steal and loot whatever cool shit you always wanted to have, but couldn't afford"

Solar panels and windmills. A single panel mounted on a billboard to power the lights is also perfectly capable of powering a fridge and a TV set. Why this is never brought up and everyone sits around candles or complain about lack of electricity is beyond me. Again, nobody is guarding this shit, so why not loot it? It doesn't even take any fucking knowledge, you literally just combine cables together, the transformer is already attatched.

Concrete walls or even just masonry. Like everything above, NOBODY is guarding this shit. Why trying to build a barricade out of scrap, rubble and broken cars, if you can literally pick a truck, visit nearby depo, construction site or even a fucking market and take what you need. It's not like people are going to loot or buy out en masse bags of concrete when shit was still relatively stable, same with fucking bricks.
>>
>>50716408
Remember how in first season you actually were afraid any of them could die?
>>
>>50716408
Nah, it is just that the show is based on an amarican comic, which means that everyone have mild brain damage so the story can happen.
>>
>>50716582
american*
>>
>>50716560
I think the main problem most of such stories have is their relative lenght. For a while, all the hogde-podge stop-gap measures are sensible and, well, stop-gap. But if the story goes for more than few weeks and everyone within them knows they are on their own now, still not trying to go beyond bare basics is just stupidity and sloppy writing.

>>50716582
I think the main problem the show has is still trying to cater to the comic crowd, while completely ignoring the rest - aka 90% of it - of own audience. So instead going for the story, it's dwelling more and more into being an adaptation of a comics that the audience STILL doesn't care about, in some stupid assumption that the original "story" (the shit going in comics simply can't be called story without quotation marks) is what brought people in, and not the premise of the show as such.
>>
>>50716686
>, still not trying to go beyond bare basics is just stupidity and sloppy writing.
Another point for 28 days later.

Why that film was so based?
Oh, right. Danny Boyle made it and Alex Garland wrote it.
>>
>>50716686
>the shit going in comics simply can't be called story without quotation marks
The Walking Dead Comics, comics in general, or both? Because, honestly, I have read finnish comics about about gay barbarians that are better written then the shit that goes in american comics.
>>
>>50716560
>Concrete walls
It always baffles me how nobody picks up road blocks. Sure, they are useless for making proper walls, but if zeds can't fucking rise their legs, then it's still enough to slow them down or even outright stop.
>>
>>50716755
TWD comics. And cape shit, but cape shit by default is retarded, because it's cape shit. Comics can be good, but TWD is not a good comics and it's so lacking in story department it's just painful. The fact its creator openly declared he wants to drag it as long as there is anyone left still buying them is just cynical and clearly indicates he doesn't care nor won't bother to put any effort into it.
>>
>>50716755
The only time when the TV series was good was then they were only still making very broad strokes of the stuff going in the comics. Thus first season and bits from the second one, even if it dragged like a bitch. But the moment they've decided to stick to the source material, it just showed everyone how god-awful, one-dimensional and simply pathetic the source is.
>>
>>50716755
Well, American comics are so fucking bad, they had to invent the whole "graphic novel" marketing bullshit for what still passes as just an average comics in Europe, quality-wise, so go fucking figure.
>>
>>50716814
dude, combine those as an outer perimeter, with a ditch in front, superglue/calk/adhere spikes and broken glass and what ever else along it's top to catch at flesh and clothing.

Then behind that have the embankment, then have a constructed wall from the shit you looted from the lumber liquidators, and bam. You have a pretty damn good defense set up with multiple layers of stopping or impeding zombies.
>>
>>50717229
With all that work, you can just build proper wall instead rather than search for road-blocks.

But they are still very useful, very handy and they come in two "sizes", with the bigger one being still relatively easy to move around, while can be already used as a proper wall without much problem.
>>
>>50717229
>>50717671
You are both missing the really good parts of the road blocks:
- modularity - if you have more than one, you can assemble them together and they fit, stack and create self-locking walls
- weight - still light enough to transport easily, still heavy enough to not be toppled
- mountings - they come with a special hole in them, allowing to mount poles inside and make them very stable; spread fence and even barb wire and you've got an instant perimeter that is really tough to crack, while very easy to make
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.