[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mary Sue experiences thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 45

File: IMG_0822.jpg (120KB, 868x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0822.jpg
120KB, 868x768px
As the title suggests this thread is about your personal encounter with Mary Sues in your various games, d&d, rp forums, etc. I will begin

>get called by friend to PC in a d&d game for a few sessions (taking control of an important NPC because Gm got tired of playing him foe the past 3 sessions)
>I agree and he warns me that the party is… difficult.
>drive to his place before anyone arrives
>they come one at a time over a half an hour
>the first is a normal dude with a basic healer role, his character is normal in cleric terms
>he says hello and goes back out to his car and grabs a big ass bag of chips he's the good guy
>the second is a chick she seems ok but her character is a sue, cat girl rogue wo uses dual katanas and has a 'tragic' back story and she wants to kill her father or something bc 'he dishonored muh clan'
>also has eyes both being a different color, and blue and she says 'it changes when she's angry' and wears all black
>third guy comes in and by the way he walks I know he's a 'that guy' as his character is a half elf rogue who abuses the rules to the fullest and also uses dual katanas, his disc. makes him out to be quote "sharp features and very handsome" wears all black and broods when not fighting or sharpening his weapons menacingly in the taverns
>the fourth and last is another chick, female elf fighter who as she puts it "has a tragic past and hates violence and killing" despite being the tank and the heavy hitter she tries to knock out every enemy (sapient) and "convince them to change". Wears plate armor and uses a bo staff to do damage and says it was her fathers before he died via heroic sacrifice to save family.

All of them but the cleric had no apparent flaws what so ever and the said healer is the only reason they party is still alive.

Anyone have other stories to share?
>>
Forgive my English I'm new to it somewhat
>>
I got no storys but the new guy to our games might be a mary sue evil edition. Only played one game but from his personality and his interests it's a big possibility.
>>
>>50703100
that image
>heterochromia
perfect
>>
Bump because I don't have any of my own
>>
My friend joined my campaign with a character he refused to give flaws.
If your players do this, assume the flaw is pride.
>>
Guy who could counter and out damage lightsabers in pvp in star wars with his fists straight out of chargen.
>>
>>50704232
I forgot to do flaws for a character once, ended up saying that he was racist to elves as the DM was collecting stat info
>>
>>50704323
How's that a flaw?

Around Elves watch yourselves.
>>
>>50704452
No, it's a flaw, by racist to elves I mean KKK racist and going out of his way to kill elves all the time. Our party had to go through an elf city and he straight up murdered 30 people. The best part is that he's a half elf and his dad raped his mom which resulted in his birth.
>>
>>50704556
that's quite the edgy character there anon
>>
File: Red-steel-2-kusaragi-close-up.jpg (57KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Red-steel-2-kusaragi-close-up.jpg
57KB, 640x360px
Post mary sues who ended up being pretty fun characters anyway
>>
>>50704581
It's like that because it was an evil campaign and we all decided our characters had to be edgy, all of them for one reason or another. We spice stuff up with themes sometimes you know? Good party that's all clerics, neutral party that is all thieves, fun stuff.
>>
>>50704235
That... Okay, as stupidly broken as that is in the game, I do kind of want to see that in Star Wars now. Just some jack off edgelord sumbitch who kills sith or jedi with his bare hands. Like watching Bruce Lee or Jacky Chan beat up swordsmen with their fists.
>>
>>50704677
Oh man, my group has done an all wizards (wizard academy setting, like Harry Potter but playing as the teachers), all thieves (heist game, very interesting but never got off the ground), and all fighters. I have no idea how, but the all fighter game turned into one of our most role-play heavy social campaigns.
>>
>>50705183
Yea, maybe do that "warband" kinda vibe i get from that arc from berserk and prosnorkulus and other things.
>>
>>50705183
>I have no idea how, but the all fighter game turned into one of our most role-play heavy social campaigns.
Probably on the ground of dnd fighters being so absolutely boring shit in pure rollplay, so you flocked to roleplay instead.
>>
>>50703684
You know, I always see that version of heterochromia, and that disappoints me. I vastly prefer the kind of heterochromia where the outer edge and inner edge of your irises are different colors.
>>
>>50704323
Its the default flaw for all my fantasy characters - I also forgot to do something interesting for my very first character so I made his racist to half-elves, since he considered elves to be above humanity.

Actually turned out pretty sweet when he had a story arc and character development with the party's half-elf druid.
>>
File: suetastic.png (18KB, 1300x230px) Image search: [Google]
suetastic.png
18KB, 1300x230px
>>50703100
>>
>>50706615
>I vastly prefer the kind of heterochromia where the outer edge and inner edge of your irises are different colors.

I actually have that, with the outer ring being green, the middle blue and the inner hazel-ish. There's also this thing where there are segments of each eye that are brown, while the rest are a green/blue mix. The weird thing is that their positioning is such that the segment in my right eye is roughly at the 2 o'clock point (if looking at it) while the one in my left eye is at the 10 o'clock point.

I think it's called 'segmented heterochromia' or something.

I never thought I'd tell such a bullshit-sounding story on 4chan of all places, but that's the honest truth. I might see if I can take a picture or something but I don't have a good camera.
>>
>>50707312
Then at least have a steady hand.
>>
File: eye.jpg (170KB, 1510x733px) Image search: [Google]
eye.jpg
170KB, 1510x733px
>>50707341
That was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Turns out shining a light in your eye to get the colours right is actually quite sore.
>>
>>50704556
>Not knowing the elf hate meme.

Fucking kids these days.
>>
>>50707312
>I actually have that, with the outer ring being green, the middle blue and the inner hazel-ish.
Are you me? Holy fuck.

For years I didn't know hetrochromia could be that, just thought I was seeing things when I looked in the mirror.
>>
>>Playing a lighthearted freeform RPG on ancient internet messaging system
>>Girl from Estonia has been chatting us up lately and we all like her
>>She knows virtually nothing outside of her former soviet bloc shithole country
>>Introduce her to all the wonders of nerdom
>>Invite her to join RPG eventually
>>Cant play the first time because she has a panic attack
>>Oooohhh kaaayy calm down its not that big a deal
>>Finally joins game playing a character she says she had made up in her head over the years of crushing loneliness in old country
>>Is apparently playing a super-god that crushes less demons gods etc with ease
>>Can apparently do anything she feels like with unimaginable ancient power
>>Gets angry when I dont recognize that the eyepoke thing she seemed to do is supposed to suck the soul of the target
>>Dissconnects

I still cant believe I spent several years dating her after that
>>
>>50705183
Lol a full cleric party is like a team of medics in tf2: shit dpr (damage per round) but no shortage of heals. The back story was the temple we all worked at was raided and everyone but us 4 survived.
>>
>>50708400
>Clerics low damage
>What is Codzilla
>>
File: 1462901788866.jpg (64KB, 688x996px) Image search: [Google]
1462901788866.jpg
64KB, 688x996px
>>50707598
eee, so you dated a mary sue estonian girl, that you know in the old net? I'm legitimaly reactionless with a little bit of curiosity, would you care to tell the story?
>>
>>50707400
cool eyes dude
>>
>>50708939
Something that happened in 3.5 and never again.
>>
>>50707598
>>50709054
STORY TIME, STORY TIME!
>>
>>50703100
It's unfortunate that sues have sort of soured people on specific character traits. In middle school my principle had one rainbow iris that I'm pretty sure he wasn't born with. But he was a flabby middle aged man, an ex-alcoholic, a born-again Christian teaching school at a correctional facility... basically a pretty cool basis for an RPG character in some games.
>>
>>50704232
I don't really refuse to give my characters flaws, I'm just more interested in their goals initially. If the game is good the character might grow behavioral quirks in play, but it's a hell of a thing to commit to before knowing what the game's about.
>>
Why is heterochromia more popular in Mary Sues than single-but-rare eye colors? Like gold, red, orange, pink, purple, yellow, etc.
>>
>>50709387
Anime.
>>
>>50709411

I was thinking the same thing, but aren't there plenty of rare / never seen in humans eyecolors in anime as well?
>>
>>50705145
well Donnie Yen is in Rogue One, you know this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9ZRjIiNzhM&t=8s
>>
>>50709411
>>50709446
Yeah, but separately coloured eyes are super-special rare

Personally I enjoy black sclera for my more..sueish characters. Fucking hollow eyes, man
>>
>>50705145
>>50709508
>not posting the scene where he fight a guy wielding a sword
https://youtu.be/xg9Y6TkGiSA?t=1m55s
>>
>>50706615
Central heterochromea seems to be a too common trait to be attractive for people that make sues.
>>
>>50703100
>Playing high-fantasy pulp bronze age RPG
>Friend asks if he can bring friend who happens to be a girl.
>Only fair because I, the DM, let my girlfriend play.
>She watches the first session, and actually shows promise, catching on to things a lot faster than some of the other players and making fairly deep observations about situations and how the party should proceed.
>I agree to let her play, and we start making a character.
>"anon, can I be a demigod?"
>OhGodNo.jpg
>"No, this system doesnt really support that"
>"How about an angel?"
>"No"
>"How about a half-angel?"
>"No"
>"Ok, Ive got an idea then"
>"lets hear it..."
>"My character grew up in [ancient ruin half sunk into a swamp] but was cast out because she was so beautiful they thought she must be the daughter of a God, and she's eternally beautiful and is a temptress assassin".
>"...fine..."
It was too late at that point. Rather bafflingly she only put a single of her 12 character creation points into being attractive, and the rest into being good at using a bow and alchemy "so I can have enchanted weapons".
>>
>>50709387
Because heterochromia allows for TWO seperate super-rare eye colors.
>>
>>50709619
This. Its like dual wielding double bladed lightsabers, all with unique colours i miss the old eu
>>
>>50709387
Because being a mary-sue is all about not having to chose, and not being nailed down to any one thing. A mary-sue is everything at once.
>>
>>50709654
The SWEU is genuinely the worst setting, on average, in all of fiction-dom.
>>
>>50709683
>retcon it all away
>continue shamelessly stealing elements from it and repeating all the mistakes it did

Star Wars Episode XII: Invasion of Vuuzhan Yong when?
>>
>>50709700
>tfw your old swtor sorc would be called a sue

I thought my green-black saber was pimp af for a sith healer
>>
>>50709700
If Rey takes Anakins spot, I'd be ok with it. Even if it means she also gets to mark off martyr on the mary-sue checklist
>>
>>50709608
I'd allow a character that is delusional and thinks she/he is the daughter/avatar/angel of god. Maybe the characters conviction leads to something.
>>
>>50709700
Disney's primary motivation was probably just wanting to be able to essentially re-release all the content with a fresh coat of paint and new book titles to rake in all that dork-money.
>>
>>50709728
Star Wars has the best and worst sues
>>
>>50709748
See, I dont think thats what she's getting at, and most of the players in the group are so new that any sort of long term subversion like that wouldnt be received well
>>
>Play stuff over roll20 because I live in a city where there is no RPG activity
>Get into a pathfinder group
>Play a shield bashing dwarf ranger because we lack a tank otherwise
>1 player is a sorcerer who apparently is destined to be the strongest caster ever because an angel told him that, two ninjas who have traveled to half across the world here to find somebody they must kill and both of them brood, last one is a neon colored druid who just wants to show everybody the better way of nature by, apparently, going on a mass murder spree of town guards for not liking how she destroyed the infrastructure by sprouting trees through the middle of the street and still claims to be a NG druid
>Two sessions go and the rogues kill half the shopkeepers to steal their inventory, sorcerer keeps rubbing it in my face for being the most powerful and druid keeps destroying things and blaming the people whose houses she demolishes for being in the wrong while always arguing how she still is good
>On the third session I find out that I can't keep coming due to time restrictions
>They bid me good bye and say I was a good player (going to assume because I didn't break out crying about their mary sues)
>Glad I got away from their mary sues, but also saddened because they otherwise seemed nice people

And this is why I feel conflicted with people who go the mary sue route.
>>
>>50703100
I don't know if this story will fit, but it feels like Mary Sue even without rainbow hair and other half-god shit. Not character Mary Sue, living player Mary Sue.

>She just need her character to be perfect in everything possible. It isn't bad, but her imagination is not so impressive and ofthen ends with recent or favorite movie scenes. Her characters ofthen bound to one task no matter what.
>Created different characters with cliche backstories: all my village was killed, I was a child assassin, molestation victim, rebellion against authorities. All characters are the same basic self-insert with minor difference, no matter is it fantasy court magician, or 40k gang member, or something else.
>She claims to be group's moral compass, and talks about it both IC and OOC every time she can. It somehow doesn't stop her from killing people or doing weird and ofthen amoral things. She spends quite a time talking about us being pointlessly cruel, but kills homeless man just because he refused to give his stuff to her for free. She tries to steal some paper from village blacksmith, burning half of said village down, and feels bad because villagers are pissed at her. She laughs in face of badly injured party member, calling him weak and useless, and really doesn't understand why he's so angry about it. One time she started useless fight and made her character to commit suicide just to slip out of responsibility.
>She is afraid of grey morality or complex siuations without one obvious RIGHT choice. One time DM tricked her into "wrong decision", and she literally nag him to retcon it back and give her a safe raildoad to "right" one.
>She wants her character to be strong and talk about it, but ofthen hides behind the backs, or panicing when there is no back to hide behind.
>She wants her character to be pretty. Not "godlike pretty with glitter and neon colors", but prettier than everyone else in a group.
>She feels offended every time her character fails her rolls.
>>
>>50706615
That's too pretty though. We don't want people jacking it under the table.
>>50707312
>>50707400
Hnnng!
>>
>>50707400
Do it at an angle.
Still annoying, but, ya know.
>>
>>50707400
Man, I've just got boring old grey eyes.
>>
>>50709274
I never really set anything in stone besides my character's backstory.
The "goal" that I write down is usually just something like "Wants to see the world" or something like that, and then I let their goals and flaws develop from there.
>>
>>50709257
seconded
>>
>>50709526
I always default to black too.
For everything, really.
Skin, hair, eye, clothing color.
I just like the color black, and it keeps things simpler than if I had to choose fifty million different colors.
>>
>>50710430
I do more GMing than playing, which is part of why I like a little more specificity in goals than anything else. When I run, I can prep games around clear and specific goals much better than around vague tendencies like alcoholism or wanderlust. Might just be down to a personal preference though.
>>
>>50710472
I suppose that makes sense.
It's just that more often than not, I'll set a goal, but then end up deciding to do something else.
>>
>>50710509
True. Having two or three, or a mix of the vague and the specific, is probably best. Both because it gives you a few options and because it gives you more excuses to tag along on other players' things.
>>
>>50709508
I love how he just ATATATATATATATATATATAs all over them.
>>
>>50703100
I played heavenly beautiful character once. Her face was chopped off, thank you mr Dark Heresy crit table.
>>
>>50707312
I have a dark green outer edge but copper inner edge. Sadly, it means my eyes look ugly brown unless you're 5cm away.

The proportion of the two colors aren't the same in the left and right eye, too. I always thought everyone had some color variation in their eyes.

>>50710457
Do you ask you GM for stealth bonuses from time to time?
>>
>>50710732
I wouldn't mind being 5cm away
>>
>>50706615
I wasn't aware that was a form of heterochromia, to be honest.
>>50707312
>>50707400
Are you me? I just thought people called that hazel.
>>
My sister has heterochromia. One gray and one green. Or maybe it's brown and green.

One of them is green, anyway. She's the only one in our family with a green eye.
>>
>>50710732
Nah.
Wouldn't feel right to use a cosmetic thing for a gameplay bonus.
>>
>>50710732
I had a similar thing: I literally wasn't sure whether my eyes were a dark green or blue whilst I was growing up. Turns out I was wrong on both counts: grey eyes are known to appear both green and blue depending on mood and lighting. Spent a few minutes staring at my eyes to really let it sink in.
>>
>>50710321
Sounds like an asshole I used to game with, but he was more the brooding, edgy type. Spent most of his time talking loudly about how everyone was stupid and useless to prevent anyone but him from being able to talk to the GM until people just started shouting him down.

Didn't help that half our players were his roommates, so they needed to let the baby have the bottle just to keep the peace in their house.
>>
>>50709508
This is good but for the most part they all attack him at once negating the primary advantage of there being ten of them
>>
>>50703100
i always experienced that gaming systems mostly prevent sue-ism due to balancing and agreeing on a starting level.
they might be a special snowflake anyway, but they are unable to take away the importance of other players / characters like a real mary sue would.
rather , they turn out to be ironical sues that are much more unique and ridiculous but not more important to everything than the other participants.
>>
Was I a sue in this PF game?
>half-elven, born to single human mother
>mother was mocked for being a whore, he was mocked by extension
>fought back regularly, was beaten every time (he was rather small for his age)
>woke up one morning to discover that he suddenly had a magic animated tattoo on his body (Tattooed Sorcerer archetype)
>$kingdom kept all magic users on a short chain because the previous tyrannical council was all sorcerers who ruled by magic, new leadership wouldn't risk that happening again
>PC booked it so he wouldn't get locked up
Making matters worse, he was Draconic bloodline (Gold), and I was hoping to have him eventually meet his father (in case you hadn't guessed, a gold dragon) somewhere along the line. Also, as soon as he was able to Wish he'd basically polymorph himself into a gold dragon of equivalent maturity and power. I was 15, cut me some slack.
>>
>>50712058
Since Sue apparently means, like just about every derogatory term here, "someone who isn't me and therefore is having badwrongfun" the answer is depends on whose perspective?
Yours no, other players yes.
>>
>>50709670
A Mary Sue is a character the author loves, and can't get the audience to love. Of course they're super-attractive, never wrong, and good at everything: they're being described by someone who is completely smitten with them.
>>
I once played a notChinese princess who was acombination of Wu Zetian,Hillary Clinton and Azula.
The person playing her brother in law made a legendary hero who was petrified by basilisks but somehow managed to not be frozen after 200 years because he's just that awesome. He also has goddesses at his beck and call and seems to pull an unlimited number of rare and powerful magical items out of his ass. He is also super strong, immune to mortal weapons, and oh so charming.
>>
>>50712058
That's an extremely Sue backstory, but... did you actually roleplay a Sue?

Most players are not actual writers, so the backstories are invariably bad. Yours is just cliche and sounds like something a weeabo would make, but unless you actually played like a Sue it wouldn't matter.

For instance:
>mother was mocked for being a whore, he was mocked by extension
>fought back regularly, was beaten every time (he was rather small for his age)
Do you keep bringing this up or is this just something you and the storyteller and no one else knows?

>woke up one morning to discover that he suddenly had a magic animated tattoo on his body (Tattooed Sorcerer archetype)
Was this thrown in everyone's faces all the time or never?

>$kingdom kept all magic users on a short chain because the previous tyrannical council was all sorcerers who ruled by magic, new leadership wouldn't risk that happening again
How often did the party have to pay for you being a special snowflake?

Like I said, backstories are invariably bad, so yours being a little terrible is not going to be special in any way. Now if you were to be inconvenient mid-session...
>>
>>50709587

>one quick google image search later
Shit that's a form of heterochromia?
I have that, it runs in my family, my mom and brother have it too.
>>
>>50710934
You're a good anon, anon.
>>
>>50713974
I thought all eyes looked like that!
>>
>>50707499
>>50710375
>>50710732
>>50710418
Quoted from wikipedia:

>Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer.[4][30] Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green. This is how many people mistake hazel eyes to be amber and vice versa.[69][70][71][72][73][74][75] This can sometimes produce a multicolored iris, i.e., an eye that is light brown/amber near the pupil and charcoal or dark green on the outer part of the iris (or vice versa) when observed in sunlight.

>Definitions of the eye color hazel vary: it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light brown or gold, as in the color of a hazelnut shell.[69][71][74][76]

>Hazel eyes are common throughout Caucasoid populations, in particular in regions where blue, green and brown eyed peoples are intermixed.

I guess every day is a school day.

>>50710907
>Are you me? I just thought people called that hazel.
I think that is actually the term for it, but I was never quite sure if hazel was a particular shade, or heterochromatic.
>>
>>50708400
>the temple we all worked at was raided and everyone but us 4 survived

Zombie party?
>>
>this thread
>the embarrassing revelation that my driver's license should read HZL instead of GRN
Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
>>
Anyone has that greentext about Rei from Star Wars made chracter sheet, with the DM Pointing out how munchkin it sounded?
>>
>>50714353
I see what you did there.
>>
>>50714400

All force users are OP, it's like casters and martials in 3rd Edition...or Jedi and non-Jedi in the D20 Star Wars game.
>>
>>50714254
No, we were all alive, the characters we played were "bad" clerics that went out drinking and the quest was our penitence
>>
>>50709587
Aye, it's way too common. My family on my Dad's side tends towards it. Me, my sister, and about a third of my cousins have very similar blue outer with yellow or green inner.
>>
>>50714450
Yeh but this sheet basically all flaws meaningless.

Like Wanderlust when she actually had to get out of the planet, or wanted by some random scavenger that cant even go off-planet.
>>
/tg/, where discussions on annoyingly perfect characters in TTRPGs can turn into a soul-searching discovery for people discovering the true nature of their eye colour.
>>
>>50714911
And this is why it is my favourite board.
>>
File: fuckingfucknut.png (203KB, 500x351px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingfucknut.png
203KB, 500x351px
>>50703100
>be me
>long time friend (LT) of mine wants to introduce some friends to roleplaying
>offer to GM
>We decide to play warhammer fantasy
>new guy wants to play an elf
>I explain the difficulties the race must face in the rural parts of the empire
>he says he's ok with that
>creates a elf mercenary
>want's to have a good relation to humans and we decide that way back when he was a child he played with human kids that wandered into the forest
>fast forward to the gaming date
>his male elven mercenary is now suddenly female
>takes pic related as character pic
>changed his backstory to "was a small elven girl living in a rural imperial village"
>tell him my problems with all that shit
>he seems to understand
>we start playing
>plot is for them as strangers to be suspected of poisoning the well after a woman dies mysteriously
>they get surrounded by armed farmers and militia
>they get handcuffed
>local sigmar priest gives them a chance to show their innocence
>New guy asks around everywhere for a job, tells everyone he's a mercenary and looking for blood
>I drink the third bottle of beer in half an hour and tell him what is wrong with that, trying to help the new player understand his position in the game at hand
>Players decide to investigate the church
>Sigmar Priest gets angry at the suspected criminals suspecting him
>new guy tells him to "fuck off, you can't tell me what to do"
>explain to the player that his elf was long enough around the empire as a mercenary to know that these guys have a lot of power
>Elf is pissing of Siggy-priest even more (don't know what he did, it was some time ago)
>I tell the player as a newbie that actively looking for trouble with the village authority and mighty npcs isn't the brightest idea he had
>player hear me, player don't care
>Priest challenges him to a duell
>Elf accepts
>Elf gets BTFO hard, 2 wounds left n stunned
>Player is pissed
>We end the session
>Player whines about my npcs being mary sues
>Never meet again
>>
>>50714882
>>Yeh but this sheet basically all flaws meaningless.
I hate it so much when players do this!

Once, on a homebrewed game, one of my players came up with a sheet for this totally edgy guy who hunted evil people and then he picks a "Bad Reputation" flaw and explains it as "He's too strong and hunts evil people so he has a bad reputation with evil people and they fear him".

I mean, I can flip that and make it suck, but I hate that players go towards flaws with the full intention of making them irrelevant.
>>
>>50703100
>Female player
>Always dumps STR
>Always maxes DEX
>Frequently prioritizes CHA
>Will do anything for an animal companion

The only time this didn't happen was once when we had a married couple play with our group and the wife played a big burly Russian-accented Valkyrie themed war cleric in plate. Coolest female-player-female-PC I've ever seen.
>>
>>50709748
Very similar to my DnD character. Sword Mage who was supposedly given a divine mission from the gods to purge evil. At least that's what the village elder told him after he started showing aptitude for magic.

>>50711205
Shitty roommates. I wouldn't have stood for that kind of bullshit.

>inb4 you don't know what you're talking about
I do. I've had roommates and I have some right now. We all know our respective boundaries.

>>50714978
I had similar when I was running a Fallout PnP. Didn't help that my rolls sucked so hard that the guy who attacked the trading post almost won. He wasn't really upset, just told me that I need to work on balancing the NPC's because they were a little too powerful.
>>
>>50714648
>everyone BUT us 4 survived
Reading comprehension, friend. Still sounds like an interesting game
>>
>>50704649
>That image
Really look at this man's choice of garment
He choose every day to belt a stupid leather collar to his face, which sends his breath back up into his nose.

Regardless of how well you brush your teeth, the inner surface will always smell like spit soaked leather. That and in a fight or any physical activity its gonna get really hard to breathe or get fresh air since all the heat from his body and perspiration is being funneled directly into his face.
>>
>>50715650
Bonus points for dude living and operating in a desert.
>>
>>50715312
That sounds oddly similar to a certain half-elf ranger in a famous d&d stream on twitch.
>>
>>50703684
I never got the heterochromia thing. It looks completely shit.
I know its "special" but if I were to see it IRL I'd be weirded out, not amazed
>>
>>50709608
Sounds more like a (mostly) innocent beginner's folly than some irredeemable monstrosity to me. She found out about this kind of game where she can be anyone or anything she wants to be, and now she's going full hype at ALL THE POSSIBRU.

Just pull her aside between sessions and offer her a more suitable character concept - shouldn't even be too hard to come up with something along the lines of "roaming scoundrel with a pretty face and claims of being highborn" that's fun for everybody involved. "Maybe she's the bastard daughter of a king and her fellow peasants kicked her out of her village because she kept insisting that working the fields was beneath her; now she's out here trying to figure out who her father was, and maybe pull off some suitably great feat of adventuring to impress the guy into legitimizing her" took me about a minute to come up with; I'm sure you can come up with something even better..
>>
>>50715827

IRL it's not really something you notice unless you're making direct eye contact from close up.

I mean I guess you could see it across a not too large room if it was a dramatic color difference and the light was good.
>>
>>50707400
Oh shit, never heard of this before but exactly how my eyes look. People have always told me me eyes are either blue or hazel, so I've never known which one it is.
>>
>>50709608

Can any of us truly say with complete honesty that our early characters weren't terrible?
>>
File: DSCN0342[1].jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0342[1].jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>50707400
well, if we're talking about eyes, my eyes are fucking awesome too. I got emerald green eyes with oranges rims around the iris and blue rims outter edge

the picture might not be the highest quality, but its what i got
>>
>>50716425
Wooooow, this is some top-shelf cringe.
>>
>>50716467
might be, but i dont see you contributing
>>
>>50715773
Wow it also sounds just like every ranger ever
>>
>>50716544
Fair enough, though I run my rangers like snipers that flounder at close range, even more so than normal and the pet is usually a venomous snake to get venom from
>>
>>50715827
I had a boss who had it, big burly guy with one green eye and one eye that was brown, but had a pac-man slice of green in it too. He was a cool fellow.
>>
File: large.jpg (101KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
101KB, 500x720px
>play a male human fighter who uses two-weapon fighting
>college friend playing a male dorf cleric of Pelor
>cousin plays a female lizardfolk ninja(and is surprisingly NOT the reason I wrote this post)
>other friend plays a suave male elf bard
>this guy shows up with a premade character
>half-fiend, father is Beelzebub, mother was a human cleric who Lily Potter'd so Beel wouldn't possess him and use his body to waltz through the material plane
>has a demon inside himself that would go berserker if he ever were to die. He can also tap into it's power, transforming into a 30+ Str & Dex DPS monstrosity
>looks like Dante, dresses like Vampire Hunter D
>his class is a homebrewed demon-hunter based after the Diablo class. Includes explosives, magic, evasive maneuvers from the Monk, and gains Spring Attack as a class feat on level 1
>DM okays this for whatever reason
>the player boasts out of the game how the story is all about his character, with mine as a secondary protagonist and the others are just extras
>the chaotic neutral fighter is somehow more altruistic, "humble"(actually has really low self-esteem thanks to Devil-boy going out of his way to outshine him at everything a fighter is supposed to do) and reliable to the party than the legal good demon-hunter
>>
>>50717084
Why did the GM let this guy run with this character?
>>
>>50703100
You should consider that you don't have any idea what "Mary Sue" means and should probably stop saying it. It doesn't mean "A character I dislike". It's pretty specific.

Those do sound like some poor player choices, though.
>>
>>50716124
My first character was a dwarf fighter with a name out of the PHB.

Half of the party were also dwarf fighters with names out of the PHB.
>>
>>50717419
DM thought it would be fun and allow him to use demons as recurring enemies. Basically he allowed us to throw everything and the kitchen sink into this game. Only all other players had some self-awareness and didn't go full DeviantArt.

Now we're up at shit's creek because Beelzebub possessed him after the seal finally gave away, and he took with him to wherever he is in the lower planes a ring with one wish, a scroll of wail of the banshee, and basically Jack Sparrow's compass; and all the other characters are level 10 regular everyday adventurers.

Sorry for the slow reply, third world internet is suffering.
>>
>>50704649
>>
>>50709170
Actually, and All-Cleric party is the best way to CoDZilla in 5e. Everyone casts their buff spells with concentration on their War Cleric and pulls crazy shit.

Bonus points if you've got someone who knows Find Familiar and abuses Bless and other touch buff spells.
>>
>>50717874
That's a shame, really. I guess it's a good example, if of anything, as to why GMs should set clear boundaries with players.

The game sounds salvageable, though. I could see myself having fun with it.
>>
>>50705145

It's pretty easy to do in Edge of the Empire, honestly.
>>
In my current campaign I asked everyone to answer some simple questions, including:
>Who hates your character and has a completely justified reason for their hatred?
>What's your biggest vice, compulsion, or quirk that gets you in trouble and makes things harder for you?
>What's your darkest secret that, if ever revealed, would have you thrown in prison or even executed?

One of my PCs decided that nobody hated her character, that she had no vices, and that she had no dark secrets. Everyone liked her, she was incredibly attractive and kind, her family was rich and famous (at no cost in character creation of course) and she had several levels despite not being an adventurer (like the rest of the party members were). Of course she was also a prodigy in several fields and had a high rank in a powerful organization.

Instead of shutting her down I took a two-fold approach. First I focused on the other PCs backstories, weaving them into the narrative and not including her own. There were no hooks, no conflict, so while the others had rivals and assassins chasing them down she had nothing for herself. The story started to feel like it revolved around the others, and that she was more of a tag-along in a narrative sense.

Second, I started feeding her character hints that her previous life was not as rosy as she'd described. Her family wasn't rich, they'd been accumulating debt over the last year. She started getting hints that her family was trying to recover their fortune by siding with some shady types... the same rivals and assassins that were plaguing the other PCs. People that were starting to become true villains that threatened the nation, not just the party's wellbeing.

Now she's scrambling to bury the evidence, effectively creating her own Dark Secret and proving that Pride is her greatest vice. As for people who hate her, well, her family's involvement has led indirectly to the deaths of several dozen people and they left families behind...
>>
>>50703100
> Anyone have other stories to share?
When I started playing, it was in Forgotten Realm, where lived Wei Katsu. It was when Helm was alive, before the time of Vecna, 2nd edition.

Wei is not simply a Marie Sue. He has Ascended. He was not merely a player character, he was an ex-player character and ex-DMPC in an ongoing set of campaign.

When I asked what was the big deal about Wei Katsu, I was handed the very first manga I've ever read as a way to describe it. "Venom" I believe it was called.

Yeah. That bad.

But Wei was even more snowflaky. He had a pool of dark energy that fueled his abilities (can't recall the name of it, it was generated by violence and violent intent) that had to be depleted to harm him / target him with a spell and have it work. And there were only two ways to do so.

1) Violence, which would generate more of it anyways.
2) Him leveling up would reset the Dark Energy to 0, and have him rebuild it.

The campaign had... other problems. Our DM used as a DMPC the single PC he always played, Saren, whose portrait was an elven bard from the baldur's gate series at that time.

Let's just say, he rolled once a very good set of stats, and managed since to have him timetravel, dimension travel, reincarnate and find other bullshit to have him set at the appropriate level of whatever campaign he was in, just so he could keep his stats / edgy background.

Here's how both got destroyed...
>>
>>50718384
There was non-written rules in that group:
1) Games were to happen in Forgotten Realms. Period.
2) Whatever happened, the GM could not control the other GMs snowflakes. They'd have to ask for input from the creator on what they would do in X situation.
3) To attain such status, one would have to first introduce it as a PC, having stick around for the better part of a campaign and THEN use him as an NPC.

Enters ShoubaĂŻ. I will not claim credit for the character or maneuvering, I was still learning how to calculate THAC0 and how the fuck saving throws worked back then.

ShoubaĂŻ was either a gnome illusionist. He acted like someone had beaten the senses into a Kender (not that I knew of the concept back then), low profile but excentric, and always with a positive outlook.

The campaign went well enough. Long story short, we were cursed with an immense power that would destroy us if we didn't get the MacGuffin in time. And we're talking "the fighter gets 25 STR and 22 Con" kind of buff here.

My Cleric was bestowed the "ability to be painfully resurrected as soon as he died". And oh boy did it happen often, but that's neither here nor there.

So we get through, there's more shenanigans about a "Lesser age of chaos" which made a god or two essentially mortals as other mortals tried to usurp their powers.

And by the end, ShoubaĂŻ's true nature, as basically an internet troll, began to surface. Just a little bit, just so that what would come next wouldn't be out of the blue.
>>
File: date_masamune.gif (44KB, 241x249px) Image search: [Google]
date_masamune.gif
44KB, 241x249px
>>50718025
Well, the DM did put his character on the proverbial bus, allowing the rest of the party to collect themselves. He's also allowing us to take some Gestalt levels once we hit level 10.
>>
>>50718356
beautiful
>>
>>50704556
>going out of his way to kill elves all the time

Then your character is a psychopath. If I were your DM, I'd kick you out of my house.
>>
>>50718615
The theme of the plaything was evil and edgy, I rolled a rogue psychopath and I forgot to add a flaw so super racist is the thing I came up with at the last second.
>>
>>50718356
Niccce.
>>
>>50718569
So, as you may have guess, the guy DMed next. And while the campaign he gave was... good... it was mostly so that whatever he input in the ongoing universe would remain cannon. After all, it was their own attachment to the universe that made commitment to the unwritten rules important in the first place.

So ShoubaĂŻ unlocked another pool of endless energy, but where Wei delved into violence and darkness of mankind, ShoubaĂŻ's Shoubadawi delved into ridicule.

And Wei's brooding was the perfect target for such ridicule, as ShoubaĂŻ tried his damn best to lighten him the fuck up.

Stealing props and leaving I.O.U.s., dropping banana peels, cream pie to the face in long monologues, as soon as a recurring self-important edgy character was summoned as their presence "would just make sense".

To my surprise, it didn't split the group apart (okay, Wei's player suddenly got something better to do), and, while the ongoing cooperative campaigns had something special for them, games began to be a lot more enjoyable.

Especially to the two of us who were outsiders to these previous shenanigans.
>>
>>50715312
my god I have 2 girls in my game and they both did this, for two seperate campaigns. Its the only thing they know how to play.
girl1: ranger then bard
girl2: druid then monk
total sues
>>
>>50717756
Boring as fuck.
Were you at least properly genocidal like any good teenager playing an RPG?
>>
>>50718757
I'm the anon from >>50717084

My cousin's been a regular player in most of the campaigns I've played and while she originally stuck to the "rogue kobold kleptomaniac" stereotype, she eventually grew out of it and began to branch out into playing Barbarians and Sorcerers.

She does play some sneaky types every now and then(lizardfolk ninja being by far the most complex/fun), but she has never touched THE GURL GAMER stereotyped half-elf ranger with red hair, a scar over one eye that doesn't affect her ravishing looks, wolf animal companion and rape as backstory.

though her character did rape mine after he got roofied in a party the bard threw
>>
>>50718823
Forgot pic
>>
>>50718757
The ones in mine are perma-healers, and will only play fantasy games. I don't know why. Especially since I strong-armed one into a Ranger/Barbarian and she actually enjoyed it a lot.

I guess "I just have to heal to feel accepted" is strong around here.
>>
I just asked my whole group what their flaws were:
1: character is vain and shallow, tends to see hidden meaning where there may be none
2: secret
3: not sure about a succinctly stated flaw, ill think about it
>>
File: IMG_1747.png (147KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1747.png
147KB, 750x1334px
>>50718896
Update: she thought about it
>>
File: 318173.jpg (354KB, 657x916px) Image search: [Google]
318173.jpg
354KB, 657x916px
>>50719139
reminds me of the Pagliacci joke. If its a bard, then it's a good justification for his career-choice.
>>
I only have 1 experience with a sue. Over the course of several 5e campaigns. Our DM, one of my closest friends was running a homebrew campaign. And he wanted to include his DMPC.
>Human Paladin
>Lawful Good
Doesn't sound so bad so far, besides the dmpc part.
>Is secretly an Ancient Golden Dragon in human form. Uses the Monsters given player class levels template in the MM. Has Draconic Casting. Has 30 Charisma.
>Read from the Book of Exalted Deeds, and gains all the bonuses that entail. He chose all the Minor and Majors so he gave himself the most broken bonuses the DM guide provides.
>Has a set of unbelievably broken artifacts.
>A Sword that is no fucking joke, a Sunblade, a Holy Avenger and a Vorpal Blade compressed into one item. Also the sword has a host of spells it can cast from. The Sword also casts True Resurrection on the attuned upon death without cast time or material components every 3 days or so (this is important later)
>>
>>50719424
>part 2
>Armor that is +3. An active ability that reduces all damage by half for 10 minutes. Recharges on a Long Rest. Also has an on will, castable on bonus action ability to grant a fly speed of 120ft. The suit of armor had a magic rune that can be pressed to don and doff the armor. Immune to dragon Frightening Presence, advantage on saving throws vs Dragon Breath Weapons.
>A +3 Shield. Can cast Sunbeam, Sunburst, daylight for 3 charges each, 15 charges recharging daily. Bonus Action shield bash that does insane radiant damage, damage bonus as if it were a +3 weapon he's proficient with. Reaction that reflects spells that have attack rolls.
>As a paladin he has an aura that gives a bonus to saving throws equal to his cha mod. His Holy avenger hybrid sword gives him advantage on all saving throws against magic. While having an AC of like 30 with his Book of Exalted Deeds, artifact bonuses.
>>
>>50717756

Okay, confirmation of my point then.
>>
>>50719630
>He likes to inject his morality and religious views into everything. He is a Gnostic Freemason Christian and has a Kabbalah fetish, so the symbolism is thrown everywhere in your face without any subtlety.
>Is the leader of an interdimensional organization of Knights that hunt demons across the multiverse. That imparts stupid bonuses for joining them. The catch is you have to be indoctrinated into his religious views to get them. And you can't be a necromancer or a rogue or a warlock. Or anything other than Lawful Good.
>Playing anything other than Lawful Good to his interpretation and morality got you bitchslapped often.
>His setting Bahamut is upgraded to an overdeity. And he always makes sure we fucking know it because he is Bahamut's chosen.
>All other gods have been ejected and instead replaced with Roman Deities, according to Alchemy and Astrology. Also Lawful Good. Only Tiamat exists to be Evil.
>>
>>50719760
>Is his WoW character. He plays on an RP realm so his dimension hopping dragon paladin is everywhere. Also his Rift and gw2 character.
>And the fucking backstory.
>The character is literally him, like it's just his name but Latinized. In a timeline where demons poured from hell onto Earth. God gives him the broken artifact sword to slay demons with. He discovers that the sword is some sort of dimensional key that can lock the demons away, but destroys the planet and transplants the souls into other worlds. Does it and his soul is fractured into a bunch of pieces, one of which turns into a Golden Dragon. The act creates his setting from the scraps of earth, the Alchemic elements and his Roman planet deities. Eventually the pieces merge together to form his broken planeswalking paladin dragon that is chosen of God. Bahamut is the biblical God's proxy in all other universes in his own creation or in D&D settings like Ravenloft.
>>
>>50718823
But Anon eye scars and eye patches are my fetish
>>
File: 20161125_204731-1.jpg (92KB, 692x725px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_204731-1.jpg
92KB, 692x725px
>>50706615
I have that. Like others said it seems too common to attract much attention.
>>
>>50709387
Fun fact that I doubt most weeaboos realize: According to the Japanese, Heterochromia is supposed to represent a split soul. What this means is usually up to the author, but I've seen it range from simply a split personality, all the way up to their actual physical soul is put somewhere else.
>>
>>50710418
Lemme see that sheet.
>>
>>50703100
>OPs pic
That needs to be the cover of the next Honor Harrington novel.
>>
>>50710321
And let me guess. She watches anime.

I know its like a meme at this point to blame anime for things, but as someone who has been in the hobby a long time, it really does feel like this sort of behavior had increased in direct proportion to the popularity of anime. It isnt that there weren't that guys and douchebags before, and maybe there aren't even a greater percentage of them now, but I find the weeaboo players to be the most annoying of all the shitty player types, especially since they are so often girls, and because of that, are tolerated anf forgiven for behavior guys would just be kicked out for.
>>
>>50719424
>>50719630
>>50719760
Speaking of bad DMPCs, there was a time when I played WoD I came across THE Sue.

>Daughter of one of the DM's PCs in a story that finished long ago.
>She's a werewolf, like daddy.
>Her uncle is Mage, who awakens her latent magical powers.
>Which she can cast while in werewolf form.
>Her other uncle is a Hunter, who takes her away to train her into the Hunters' abomination-hunting ways, and the Order have absolutely no qualms regarding her being 2 out of the 3 things they've been trained to erradicate, because "she can be useful to them".
>So she's a Fully awakened Mage Werewolf who also has True Faith and knows the secret arts of Hunter-labeled asskicking.
>And I can't be a vampire with a generation lower than 8th.
>>
>>50710430
Yeah I am the same way. I actually dislike it a lot when GMs get on me about flaws and defining my personality. I feel like that just stunts my ability to develope a personality in the game. But when you say that, they immediately think you're a bad player and only want to kill things and have no personality. Writing down personality traits in advance doesn't male anyone a better roleplayer, so i don't know why people are so hung up on it.
>>
File: date-masamune.jpg (273KB, 2480x1700px) Image search: [Google]
date-masamune.jpg
273KB, 2480x1700px
>>50719936
Eye patches are kinda my thing as well. But the eye scar on that stereotype PC is always the typical vertical one over the brow-down to the cheek, that somehow didn't damage their cornea and they don't need an eyepatch because they wear that scar as a sign that they resisted whoever tried to rape them.
>>
>>50711082
I have been told my eyes are blue, grey, brown, hazel, gold, and at least one time, green. Even my mom couldn't pick one.
>>
File: sam_be6s8e.jpg (156KB, 513x720px) Image search: [Google]
sam_be6s8e.jpg
156KB, 513x720px
>>50720285
Was her dad this guy?
>>
>>50720369
Shit, might be. I don't know, I need to ask the guy who played the father what his name was.
>>
>>50717756
>My first character was a dwarf fighter with a name out of the PHB.

My first character was also a dwarf fighter but his first name was taken from a character in Glen Cook's Dread Empire series.
>>
File: 4.jpg (112KB, 533x719px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
112KB, 533x719px
>>50718356

That's fucking awesome, anon.
>>
>>50720277
It's a fucking shame that it's always trash weeaboos, too.

Like fuck people who go into sessions expecting to be fucking Light or Naruto or some shit, but if someone ever came into my campaign, sat down, and showed me a character that was basically going to be fucking Char or Captain Harlock I'd be all over that shit.
>>
>>50704232
I knew a player like this. Character had no IC flaws beyond overwhelmingly annoying arrogance. Issue was that he was a reflection of his player, who thought said arrogance was well earned.

It really, really wasn't.
>>
File: 1367670863853.jpg (104KB, 1096x720px) Image search: [Google]
1367670863853.jpg
104KB, 1096x720px
>>50717084
I would have either asked the player to make a new, non-shit character or left the game. I could not tolerate such an arsehole.
>>
>>50707312
I have that too. Further, my right and left eyes are visibly different, but that's because the blue in the lower left third of my right eye dominates the hazel, while my left eye is pure hazel.
>>
>>50721441
Eyes are strange, but very interesting.
>>
>>50716467
>DAE CRINGE?! xDDDDDDD
>>
File: 1472286049114.jpg (58KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
1472286049114.jpg
58KB, 500x411px
>>50716124
>tfw your first character had the same name as your edgy online username

I at least didn't do anything edgy in-game and just sat back without contributing outside combat.
>>
>>50704232
Pffft. I intentionally gave my most recent character pride as a flaw.

I rolled really good stats, and I'm my group's most veteran player. I filled the wizard role this time around, which they all know that I'm too good at. Of course I'm going to find ways to hinder myself (or at least mess around with stuff on purpose that people would say is "inefficient") and try to make my character more interesting. Otherwise it's going to get boring for everyone.
>>
File: 1450889376047.jpg (55KB, 535x770px) Image search: [Google]
1450889376047.jpg
55KB, 535x770px
>>50712058
>half-elven
>born to single human mother
>father was a dragon

Where did the elf come from? Or was the mother really enough of a slut to have a three-way at your conception?
>>
>>50715827
It's actually a fairly common trait in canines. Not that I expect all the special snowflake attention whore players or deviantart kids to know that, but since so many of their shit-tier characters are part wolf/dog, it kind of makes sense.
>>
>>50717756
Once we went full dorf in a wfrp campaign. Turned out pretty fun.
>>
File: L'Arachel.jpg (378KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
L'Arachel.jpg
378KB, 1200x1200px
>>50709608
I've never understood why some chicks insist on such blatant Sue-ism and creating Naruto tier superpowered/super beautiful/etc tier bullshit.

>>50709748
>Chick who thinks she's legitimately the chosen one/avatar of a god/scion of a hero
>Rest of the party is a paladin who genuinely believes her, someone who loves her and feeds her delusion to keep her happy, her retainer who is simply sworn to protect her and a dickass thief who just wants loot

I'd play it.
>>
Yeah, and I'm still mad at myself. Time conflicts cost my group our previous GM, so I had to step in. Decided to run a modified version of the House of Dust and Ash from DH in Black Crusade instead. Long story short, by means of a lucky 20 during character generation, plus game manipulation, I managed to start with the maximum possible Fellowship (I think it was close to 65, if not higher). I then turned it into a DMPC because I felt like I had spent too much time on it not to use her. Priestess of Slaanesh, Inquisition killed her family, noble-blooded, the whole 9 yards. 20 mins into the first session, I knew I'd made a mistake but couldn't figure out how to solve it. Game went another 3 sessions before the group finally got into a combat, and I promptly tried to kill her off. One of the players (Renegade of Khorne no less) somehow passed a -30 medicae test to stabilize her and stop Blood Loss, and they managed to evac without anyone dying. Character lost her arm though.

Unfortunately, that game died because everyone went off to different colleges, but it constantly exceeded itself in ridiculousness, and I'd love to get back together and continue it.
>>
>>50721821
L'Arachel is the cutest.
>>
File: Sacred Stones Princesses.jpg (2MB, 1060x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Sacred Stones Princesses.jpg
2MB, 1060x1500px
>>50721924
Sacred Stones had some top tier cuties in it.
>>
>>50712058
If he
>always had to be in the right
>should always have been loved by everyone
>was prettier than everyone
>was stronger than everyone
>had a "better" backstory than everyone
Then yes, your character was a Gary stu.

I can't really judge your character by what you alone write, but he does have the backstory down for sue-ism.
>>
>>50721821
>Blatant Sue-ism
Let me pull out my pipe and spout some armchair psychology bullshit that has been said a hundred times before because it's three in the morning

Wish fulfillment

>(usually male) incredibly stronk
>(usually female) incredibly bootyful
>(both) incredibly clever but not often sheer intellect or knowledge, because cleverness is seen as both insightul AND charismic
>my parents are deeeeead
>some dark power within them that must be contained

>In general the character has some gift beyond mortal limits.
This fulfills the "I want to be needed", because a threat has arisen that only their insane powerlevel can match.
When it comes from an angel it becomes literal word of god that no one can refute or argue against.

>I'm Batman
The angel/demon bit, and the Batman backstory, absolves them of blame for their current position and responsibility for actions.
"I just woke up one day" or "I've had it since birth". They aren't at fault. No need for explanation or justification.
The missing parents? Well, who becomes the mental symbol of responsibility when we are growing up?
Note: I've noticed that the players who come from broken homes actually tend to have less family drama in character backstory. But that's another essay.

Dark power inside? A bit of the first and second. An inherent malady that is above anyone else's influence. It's a problem only they can deal. No one can help me, you cannot comprehend MY burdens. You don't understand meeeee.

>tl;dr
new players are struggling to disassociate themselves and their own wish fulfillment from an engaging character. The chance to be someone else is catharsis.
They overreact when criticized not just because it feels like an attack on who they currently are, but because it's also an attack on what they believe to be desirable traits. Denying their character is denying their interpretation of what they thought you wanted to see in/from them, based on shared values
>>
>>50718356
You are like a fresh pint of water
after a long walk in a desert place with no shade
>>
File: 1474526729835.gif (3MB, 540x513px) Image search: [Google]
1474526729835.gif
3MB, 540x513px
>>50722166
Makes sense
>>
>>50721762
I'm guessing the dragon shapeshifted into an elf.
>>
>>50722225
But if that gives them elf blood, it shouldn't give them dragon blood.
>>
>>50722233
Are you an expert in elf-who-is-actually-a-shapeshifted-dragon biology?
>>
>>50722252
Not particularly.
>>
>>50721828
>Khorne follower
>Stopping blood loss

I bet the Emperor is behind this.
>>
>>50719139
So, basically... she's playing Robin Williams?
>>
I always fear I am the worst. I'm the girlfriend of the DM and play a pirate storm sorceress with one eye and red hair. Who steals. But I think I do ok at not being shit, shes legitimately a cunt, her parents are alive and well and shes never been raped. Her eye doesnt have a cool scar its just been sucked out grossly, we also roll on the mutilation chart if we fall unconsious so there is a legitimate chance shes gonna end up blind.

We make an effort to not reward me or give me helpful information, but I made her a scholar to reflect some of my knowledge of the world. With INT 15 instead of higher DEX to reflect that.

I dunno. Maybe I will suddenly hideously maim her so I'm not labelled as that fucking mary sue chick.
>>
File: ChristmassCake.png (2MB, 1914x986px) Image search: [Google]
ChristmassCake.png
2MB, 1914x986px
>>50722252
As my credentials, I present my browser history
>>
File: 1480455504205.gif (2MB, 328x268px) Image search: [Google]
1480455504205.gif
2MB, 328x268px
>>50722345
>tabs
Top kek, friend
>>
So, does this character count?
>Born in standard, non-magic universe.
>Strong morals, quick but controlled temper, gets over being mad quickly, has decent common sense.
>Takes failure poorly, tends to get stuck on the minutiae of situations, and has a tendency to blow small failures out of proportion.
>Science in his world increased to the point that they were tinkering with interdimensional travel.
>Got a retail-level job selling tickets for travel into other worlds and trying to sell people on specific, high-cost worlds.
>Not a huge fan of it, but it pays pretty well, so he does what he needs to do.
>Science wasn't good enough to notice that the edges of the tears they were opening were, "frayed," for lack of a better term.
>Started to spread, leaving cracks in reality, eventually compromised the structural stability of the world.
>Ground zero for the end of the world, basically; runs through a portal at random, falls over pile of evacuated materials.
>No one else comes through, realizes he's the only one that made it out.
>Picks through the materials after a few hours, finds camping supplies, freeze-dried, air-sealed food, purified water, etc.
>No guns, no computers, no phones; wouldn't be useful.
>Portable, better version of interdimensional travel technology, though; runs off solar power, has a user manual.
>Manual talks about how they'd realized the tech was flawed when they realized that the distortion at the edges of the rifts would retract when the rifts were left closed for a while.
>They were planning on refitting all the machines with the fixed version that wouldn't damage reality.
>They just didn't have enough time to do it.
>Loads it into a backpack with all the other stuff.
>Interdimensional wanderlust ensues.
>>
File: 1475086120056.jpg (91KB, 582x582px) Image search: [Google]
1475086120056.jpg
91KB, 582x582px
>>50722345
Nice tabs.
>>
>>50704649
My old CN half-elf weretiger rogue.
>>
I have played almost exclusively freeform forum RPs over the years and have played almost always played with Sues including myself, we all start somewhere, but honestly I've only ever heard about the heterochromia craze after I started lurking /tg/ for the past three or so years.

So storytime:
>Be me
>Join up this forum for some browsergame
>See they have an RP section
>Thatsmyjam.mov
>Get right into it, make the pettiest tweenage druid from homebrew not!elf race
>Get to know the group, consisting of smugly but brooding half-elf assassin with mysterious past, his Aeris chosen one waifu with special spirit companion and of course - The furry
>Players seem cool, play the characters much more chill than the premise, but the furry is out of control
>Doesn't post a lot, but when she does, her anthrowolf makes all other characters useless
>More nimble than assassin
>More knowledgeable about herbs and woods than my druid
>More chosen one than assassin's waifu
>Is extremely sexually appealing to all races, not only her wolf species
>Always tries to sex it up with other characters, get BTFO'd by waifu
>Stops posting because when I joined I put a stop to her snowflakism and that motivated assassin and waifu to also put their foot down against her shenanigans

The worst part is probably that these three knew eachother in real life, apparently, and said person was very egocentric outside of the RP, as well.

>>50720102
>split soul
Interesting, I used heterochromia for the druid above after he had a bonding ritual with his spirit animal to shapeshift into that form and the two souls basically struggled against eachother.
>>
>>50722345
>Dragon Vore Porn Videos
What site is that? I don't recognize the favicon.
>>
>>50722345
That's not a browser history you numbskull
>>
>>50716124
I love to occasionally read through my old freeform forum posts and have a good cringe. My first ones weren't terrible - They were abyssmal. Even my later characters of whom I've been very proud because they are drastically better than my initial characters induce a shudder because it's like a time-machine to see how my 14 year old brain operated, and although there's a general sensibility there, it's just devalued by all the other bullshit attempts to sound smug or edgy.

>>50722166
It's frightening how accurate the tl;dr describes my playstyle even when I consciously tried to make my characters actually not as powerful.
>>
File: IMG_1634.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1634.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
>>50720240
You ask, you get. Nothing special there
>>
>>50722166
You described every character ever while also failing to realize how it applies to yourself, congrats.
>>
>>50720277
No, she hates anime, but is a huge Resident Evil movies fan. Also, Game of Thrones and unhealthy, very unhealthy boner for Targarien girl.
>>
>>50707312
I have green eyes with random blue patches and a brown segment, gotta wear shades to hide my sue power level.
>>50703100
Honestly the quarterstaff elf doesn't sound that bad.
>>
>>50724202
To be fair it's a pretty broad blanket I threw. "RPG characters are boiled down archetypes" isn't too terribly deep an insight.

Powerful characters aren't inherently bad. They just tend to come with a host of other problems such as a lack of self-awareness and disparate tone.

I don't think wish fulfillment is entirely to be avoided either. Just... unobtrusive.

>>50725287
I think you're being a little quick to judge.
Nothing I said excluded me. I didn't mention myself because I felt it was obvious.
All of my conjectures come from patterns I've identified in myself first and later gently applied to others.

If you want some more personal examples:
>First character
Ex-gladiator minotaur invoker that was a strong independent edgelord that didn't need no party. He knew nothing, because I knew nothing. When blinded in combat I thought it would be clever to target myself with an AoE burst to hit enemy melee. I once gleefully described using terror tactics to scare off the enemy, by using a tree to turn their ally's face into jello. During a game the GM was using to introduce another player.
GM got me back by turning me into an actual cow.

>Next
Pacifist dwarven cleric who "just woke up" one day with visions from god. I used his divine power as complete justification to punish anything I saw as wrong. I wanted him be almighty yet 'choosing' to be peaceful.

>Then
One-armed, one-eyed, heavily scarred vet whose entire battalion was killed by the monster that he sealed inside his sword.

>recently
A ranger with a missing daddy, anger issues, and more quips than a Marvel movie. He HAS to dodge-roll everywhere, because I admire athleticism. It's been a long running game with a good GM, so both the character and I have grown up considerably. The issues mentioned are actually being delved into and resolved.

>very recently
A paladin who ran away from home, refuses to talk about it, but tries to help everyone because he wants to be needed.
>>
>>50716124
My first character was a young human cleric who was adventuring to find a holy artifact for the newly built church in his town. It became a running gag that I would always try to convert the edgy kid whos PC was a godless heathen because "muh euphoria". Also whenever we went into a town I'd make sure to knock on everyone's door like a Mormon.
>>
>>50704649
I had a character who rolled incredibly well as far as stats went, so I made him a parody of the 'Fighter who is the party leader' character. He still had a Suey backstory, but it was intended to be a mockery of the such. He was actually incredibly naive to the world outside of his lands and was still fairly assured of his own superiority- his experiences with the party helped fix some of his problems.
I think the party enjoyed fighting alongside him, but he ended up turning into the villain of another campaign because he made some bad decisions that sounded like a good idea at the time. He ended up getting played like a grand piano by his enemy and his current master because they had leagues more experience and information than he did.
>>
>>50726704
>Nothing I said excluded me. I didn't mention myself because I felt it was obvious.
Fair enough. Although My objection is that your implying all those traits, especially the roleplay as cathartic escapism, applies only to newbies or sues. I find it applies equally to everyone, you just get better at hiding it.

Slightly better.
>>
>>50722343
Are the other PC's similarly powerful or important to the story?
>>
>>50727257
> I find it applies equally to everyone, you just get better at hiding it.
Oh, I absolutely agree with that. I apologize that that didn't come across in my post.
>>
>>50725393
Quarter staff elf who would bitch if we so much as stepped on a butterfly (she let herself bleed into her character as from what I could tell she was vegan and a pacifist)
>>
File: DaniMain3.jpg (358KB, 920x1573px) Image search: [Google]
DaniMain3.jpg
358KB, 920x1573px
>>50703100
>playing Edge of the Empire
>GM's wife shows up with character he made for her
>She's a Zeltron (a beautiful bubblegum-pink alien with pheromone powers that force you to like her)
>also she's a Jedi who's really good at mind tricks
>also she's a legendary smuggler
>also she's the medic
>also she's the captain of our ship

I was going to just be a human, but the presence of this character at the table inspires me to roll up a droid just so I'll be immune to both of the ways she can force people to like her. I make a pilot with a brain salvaged from a Separatist vulture droid. So we start playing and this happens:

>I take the helm
>She asks me what the hell I'm doing. She reminds me that she's the captain because she called it.
>I try to explain the difference between a captain and a helmsman.
>blank stare as she fails to recognize any of the captain/helmsman pairs from pop culture that I can think of
>"You're Han and I'm Chewie."
>"You're Mal and I'm Wash?"
>"You're Kirk and I'm Sulu?"
>"You're Mal and I'm Wash?"
>"You're Zapp Brannigan and I'm Kif?"
>probably lucky she didn't get that last one.
>>
>>50707312
>today i learnt i had neterochromia the whole time

Well shit, i thought it strictly meant the one colour each eye kind. How about that.
>>
>>50712058
That just sound meh, not sue.
>>
>>50719760
>he's a gnostic freemason christian with a kabbalah fetish

so he watched Evangelion?
>>
>>50730119
No, surprisingly he hated anime. He did unironically believe in astrology
>>
>>50716425
my eyes have a similar ring around the center, though a couple shades lighter and my the rest shifts from anywhere from a steel blue to dark blue-green or a very dark blue based on a bunch of different factors (how tired I am, general mood, the fucking weather,etc)
never the same eyes twice, like a fucking sunset.
shit's cash
>>
File: 1478636773461.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478636773461.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>50703100
This webm sums up what happened to the Only War game I ran for my weeb friends.
>>
>>50709994
You should have tried to sabotage them while you were there.
>>
>>50703100
>Fourth has no apparent flaws
Except being a pacifist, perhaps? That actually sounds like a fine character, especially in a game crowded by edges.
>>
>>50710934
But camo is a thing though, I mean it would make sense in a fantasy setting unless you were a thief, but any other setting should be fine.
>>
>>50730357
The character itself was a cool concept, but the player did it all wrong and was a whiny bitch who she said would "ahead a tear for each life snuffed out". the only reason she didn't go Druid was because she didn't know about it.
>>
>>50725384

>Game of thrones

Theeeere it is.
>>
>>50730303
>standing firing of a 50BMG rifle
>With a bitch-lean
>in what appears to be Sakuya Izayoi cosplay
I applaud this motherfucker, but his back is gonna be fucking sore
>>
File: 1456724528172.gif (186KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
1456724528172.gif
186KB, 678x422px
>>50718356
You brilliant bastard.
>>
>>50722345
Funny as your shit taste in porn is, I still don't get the appeal.
>>
>>50716124
First Character was Psyker from DH1, who tends to forget that his mind is a weapon too. thankfully I "generally" gone through my terrible OC trend through story ideas and DH help me build character story around the RNG

example of my terrible OCs,
I really liked AtLA, and made the "Dark Avatar". Mind you this was a month after AtLA was done.
he was immortal and knows his powers. Originally sealed in crystal but he gets released, and he wanted to kill the Avatar, for what reason idk. Thankfully I never brought it to form as I also realized that I was evolving him into SesshĹŤmaru from Inuyasha.
Yeah...that bad
>>
>>50722343
Your attitude to the situation shows that you at least your self aware enough to not be one. Accidental mary sues are better than on purpose mary sues.
>>
>>50722491
Nah, sounds like a legit fun character to play. Like the Doctor.
>>
>>50726704
>GM got me back by turning me into an actual cow.
HA!
>>
>>50729839
Nice.
>>
File: i dunno lol.gif (1MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
i dunno lol.gif
1MB, 400x400px
>>50716124
White male human paladin with alive parents who taught him the ways of the God, so he could continue his family's lineage of paladins.
Fucking fight me.
Also while I'm at it, the rest of the party consisted of:
>white male human wizard
>white male human cleric
>white male human rogue
Oh, and we killed some god's favorite evil dragon that was planning to conquer the planet.

It was fun
>>
Hey guys, I'm making a villain character and so far I think it's good, but after reading the fuckups in this thread I want to make sure what I made isn't fucking trash.

>Regular human dude
>His sister got killed by a plague from the DM's previous campaign
>Father and Mother find out, the dad breaks down and starts beating the fuck out of the mom (already kind of abusive but this was a big breaking point)and mourning over the sister
>The Mom also breaks down, kills the father and herself
>Leaving my character as the only surviving family member, also break because of how fucked everything got
>Sister turns into spiders as part of the plague, but before they can get to my character, they turn to ash (this would be exactly when the previous characters stopped the plague, it was magical)
>When he basically loses everything, his Draconic Origin flares up, making him a sorcerer
>Finds out the family has Dragon blood from thousands of years ago (gotta get that fire bonus), the father's ring that was passed down the family is a Foci
>In this city any magic user is persecuted (arcane only), so he bolts
>Run to the big city, try and make a living and stay from being homeless by working at an Elven church
>Works out for a year or so, learns Elven and Deep from the pastor
>The towns guard turns up for protection money
>The pastor refuses, gets killed
>My character tries to GTFO, gets kidnapped and tourtured
>They cut off my arm (Rolled a 9 on strength), but I get out and kill the torturer
>Spend the next few years in isolation
>Learn an ancient ritual (Discovery from my background the DM created) that can rip open the elemental barriers
>Think it can be used to rip into the realm of death and pull the Sister back from the dead
>Gather up some minions (the other PCs) to start on an adventure to become the biggest villains and break the world apart to save a sister
It is a villain campaign, so some edge is required, and I did basically steal the premise from NiER, but is it bad?
>>
>>50730887
That is a trip named sa/k/uya. From the board you think they are from. Actually pretty cool IRL. The rifle wasn't his however.
>>
>>50733061
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting, m80
>>
>>50733123
No it isn't shitposting, I'm being serious. Is it shit, alright, what?
>>
>>50715827
I find it can be a good tool to have a subtle creepy character, like maybe have some twins who both have it, but the eye colors on different eyes for the twins so one has a brown eye on his left, but the other has a right brown eye.
>>
>>50719891
Was this fucker on Emerald Dream? There was a Paladin RPer who became infamous over the course of a week. Your description fits the bill to a T. One of the few times I met him I pissed him off and he responded with "Whatever Im a IRL christian and a good person". He left the server after getting shit on by most major RP guilds on the server.
>>
>>50733205
It's shit. When your backstory has more than 10 lines of greentext- you have a serious fucking problem. Consider what parts of backstory you don't need and trim them, so that it would be under 10 lines.
>>
File: BytheLight.jpg (350KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
BytheLight.jpg
350KB, 1024x1365px
>>50733328
Forgot pic
>>
Hey are my characters Mary Sues?

1st. Simpleton that lives in the woods and talks to a banana he can die but he eventually regenerates, he doesn't do much but wonder around, he once lost a fight to a cactus

2nd. Former leader of a large army that Invaded the planet, has a big ass sword and fire powers which manifest from his sword although he makes It seem he can do it himself as a scare tactic, although his father was a shape shifting demon he has no demonic abilities besides above average strenght and durability.
>>
>>50724149
>the joke

>You
>>
>>50733328
I'm pretty sure he played on Moonguard or Wyrmrest.
>>
>>50719891
What a guy
>>
>>50722345
>dragon vore
>elf vore

My fucking sides
>>
File: 015_thumb2.jpg (44KB, 504x425px) Image search: [Google]
015_thumb2.jpg
44KB, 504x425px
>>50720369
>>50720459
Well, asked the guy who played him, he never had a human name, only the werewolf title of "Erratic Road".
>>
>>50716124
My first one wasn't that bad. Did fall into some old cliches though.
>child and heir to local nobility
>hates all his fencing and etiquette lessons and all that noble stuff
>starts sneaking out every night, eventually starts running with a band of theives that don't know who he is
>Much later he's been arrested and handed back over to the lord that he's finally decided he's sick of this shit and throws him out on his ass.
My biggest sue quality though was assuming he was naturally some super awesome legendary theif when, in reality, he was a fucking level 1 rogue that failed half his stealth tests.
>>
>>50733445
Both are cool, but the first is easily the best kek
>>
>>50720240
Well it sa-well, it says I have blue eyes, but I decided I wanted grey eyes.
>>
>>50716124
>Nyss elf for d20 Iron Kingdoms
>Don't recall class, picked it because I thought it was cool to have a claymore
>backstory was he followed his shard down and took a job to help them survive
>was standoff-ish because Nyss don't trust southerners

I mean, I couldn't really help it because the Nyss, and elves in the Iron Kingdoms in general, are edgy as fuck. But for my first? Not that bad.
>>
>>50716124
My first character was a gnome barbarian with a name stolen out of Dragonlance (Gilbenstockelburlindiosophimistilalin, everyone called him Gil) cause I was apparently retarded and didn't realise D&D gnomes weren't the same as Dragonlance gnomes.

My first session involved a halfling thief accidentally critting an NPC dead with a stab to the toe because the NPC called him short, a bar brawl because "us little folk have to stick together", and an orc picking up my tiny raging gnome and hurling him at someone else. We all ended up in jail.
>>
>>50721954
>tfw can only choose one
>>
>Pick up a new game on Roll20 with a friend of mine
>Playing D&D 3.5 Binder, around 5th level
>The DM says bluntly hes going to nerf my character next session because I can use call lightning every round
>One of the players is playing a total bullshit character, Unseelie Fey template, More iterative attacks than possible at level 5, higher stats than mathematically possible, doing things that don't make sens impossible (like pulling a Automatic full sized Balista out of a bag of holding and firing it in one turn)
>Is DM's friend
>DM never targets them in fights
>The fey-god-ballista-cheater is literally killing everything and decides that they want almost all the loot
>No one can fight the mary sue and win since the DM has their back
>Next game no one shows up besides the fey-god and the DM
>Game dead
>>
>>50733737
It was actually meant to be sarcastic. Sam Haight was oWoD's Mage/Werewolf/Vampire/Hunter bad guy

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Samuel_Haight
>>
>>50717897
He got pretty soundly duped by the Defenders of Man into attacking a civilian populous in their gambit to ruin human/Protoss relations, I still love his character though
>>
>>50706615
Everyone in my family experiences eye color change from time to time. We all start with blue eyes, that become brown, but then ever year or so it shifts either back to blue or green and then to brown again.

Not in a way that stands out but it's still odd.

Oh and we all started out blonde but end up with dark brown hair after 5, so I don't know what that's about.
>>
>>50707598
>meets girl from shithole country where she is powerless irl
>is surprised when she wants to feel powerful when playing pretend
You're a cunt, anon.
>>
>>50735622
And justice was served
>>
>>50709054
>>50709257

I really didnt expect more than a chuckle and comments about her being my hand but ok.This might take a bit but its also cathartic too talk about so why not

Im a generally positive upbeat guy and when I saw how perpetually depressed this girl was I ended up making it my mission to make her happier. We got her watching checking out all sorts of nerdy things and being able to reliably watch anime online was just becoming a thing. The RPG invite thing was pretty messy and she didnt really have a knock for it but she loved all the pretty animu stuff and it seemed to cheer her up. I would find out later that her parents basically shit on her for most of her life and made her feel worthless while lavishing attention on her brother and that combined with being ethnically Russian in a former Soviet country that still hated them fueled a lot of depression and feelings of worthlessness.

She started breaking down in her last year of college and confided in me that she was avoiding doing her final thesis so long that she felt it was impossible to do and now that she would fail her life would be over she wasted her parents money and they would hate her more etc etc. I tried to encourage her to pick up the pace and get it together but she just lamented more and the longer it went the less possible it was for her to actually get it done.So being a logical sane individual she decided to swallow a shitload of pills. This causes her to end up in the hospital getting a stomach pump but it finally spells out how severe her anxiety had gotten and they let ehr take a break from school and get help for a while. I end up talking with her as often as I can afford to on our weird phone plan and actually helped encourage her a lot. She was really thankful for me just being there and somewhere along the way we started to veer into talking about something more.

continued
>>
>>50736421
>>50737237
>not knowing a thing about Estonia
The girl is literally just mentally ill
>>
>>50737237

So at some point I ended up asking to see a picture of her and was pretty damn surprised to find out she was tall blonde haired blue eyed with shortish hair and generally pretty darn hot. not like super-model hot but real person that lives down the street hot. When I had mentioned it she just commented about how ugly she was and how she never been in a relationship before. Im dumbfound that I got the attention of a tall blonde Russian girl that hasent even had a b/f before and I always state it exactly like that IRL when I bring it up.

Either way we started an internet relationship thing for a while after that.She couldnt believe it at first since she didnt see herself as desirable.Mind you she was saying she wasent desirable to a poor college student that is 5'7" built like a reed and had fashion sense stuck in the 90s so It seemed completely illogical to me. After a bit before she went back to school her grandparents were willing to pay for her to go on Holiday to America to see the guy that she had fallen in love with and had helped her through those dark times.

She ended up spending several months living over here in America with me and those were pretty good times. She actually loved it thought America was so green and the people were so friendly and there was so much to do. I went out and saw more of the city than I usually did as well just trying to find stuff to entertain her and funding wasent a problem because she had a pretty sizable amount handed to her. It seriously made me wonder what the hell her family did for a living when I was over here with less income than a Pakistani dirt merchant. Either we had fun I took her to anime conventions got her on her first rollercoaster celebrated the 4th together and kinda laughed along as when she saw her first squirrels and raccoons. The summer ended and she we tearfully parted ways promising to meet up again as soon as we could afford to and build our life together

concluded
>>
>>50737381

Now the details I left out were the rough spots.Her depression always loomed over her in our internet days and a lot of it had to do with her home life.She thought she was worthless because she had parents constantly telling her that for her whole life. I think part of the reason she got so attached to me was that I represented a way out of that world. It actually wore on me a lot signing on and hearing about how horrible she felt and not really being able to cheer her up and worse feeling like she didnt want to feel any better.

When she was here she would be moody sometimes but generally was pretty upbeat being away from a situation that was pretty much cancer to her. When she went back she really feel deep in and the next few months got really bad. I was starting work laying carpet and tile to try and pay for us getting together again while putting school off a bit so I ended up being offline more. This made here more depressed think that I was drifting away from and made her even more gloomy when I was online. It ended up ticking me off alot because im busting my rear trying to pay for her to come back doing a job im am not built for in any way and it wore me down. I eventually just started anticipating she was about to break into a depressive spiel all the time and I ended up snapping at her when she was feeling fine which didnt do me any favors either

We were also playing a shitty Korean MMORPG at the time.She had originally panicked when we first played and thought she couldnt handle it but it had become a thing we just stuck with and she got used to playing a Healer. The only reason its relevant is because thats how it ended. She ended up venting to our guild a lot and it was kinda sad watching all the pathetic worms scurry around trying to get her attention and tell her everything was going be all right. Well one of them ended up playing the Piano in a vid he sent her way and she ended up breaking up with me and getting together with him.
>>
>>50712949
So where's the tyrannical, murderous sociopath part?
>>
>>50737495

Now at the time I was absolutely fuming.I couldnt believe the bullshit and raged impotently and damaged any sort of friendship that might have been possible to salvage out of it. Truth be told my life was in the dumps I couldnt take of her and get her out of the situation she was in and no amount of wishful thinking was gonna fix that. The frustration I felt with her was also with myself because I couldnt get my life together either and the next several years after that didnt go much better, Meanwhile she actually married that guy I called a "Smarmy French asshole that you wont last another month with" and by all accounts is pretty happy now.

I guess it could be considered a sad ending but I dont look back on it that way really.It was a good experience especially connecting with somebody from outside of Chicago let alone America and the good times were pretty damn good. I also dont think I could have taken dealing with her depressive nature since I could never tell where the stuff created by being stuck in Estonia ended and where the bullshit drama began. So its ok with me and now I get a great story to tell and can always say "I got a tall blonde Russian girl with a voice like music that spoke 5 languages to travel halfway across the world to be with me". Which I totally do exactly like that
>>
>>50714254
I think it was a typo.

Still, 4 zombie clerics sounds like a great set up for shenanigans.
>>
>>50737568
For what it's worth, no one that discards an SO is, in my experience, someone worth having a 'friendship' with.

This sort of 'use, discard, and upgrade' behavior is dreadfully common, especially in chicks, and especially inch ones with self esteem issues. I'm glad you seem to have moved on.
>>
>>50720323
Well, realistically, your character already has lived a life up to the point of the story's beginning. How did they get from birth to here, and what sort of personality quirks and flaws did they develop along the way, and why?

That doesn't mean you can't develop the character further from here on, just that it doesn't really make sense to come into the middle of the character's life and have them be a blank slate. A major motivation for them could be learning to overcome their flaws. For example, maybe they grew up with an abusive parent. As a result, violence and aggression make them uneasy, nervous, and in extreme cases can even cause them to shut down. Even in innocent, non-combat situations, someone slamming a mug on the bar suddenly can make them jump and have to leave the room. But they know that the world is a hard place and this is something that they have to overcome, and they decide that all in is the way to do it.

Maybe that doesn't work out. Maybe they shut down at the wrong moment, maybe the almost get themselves or someone else killed. Now you have a flaw, a motivation, and loads of room for growth and character development.

That's the important thing about flaws. They aren't always there just to make your character less awesome. They give them a motivation, a personal mission alongside that of the party. They can also create plot and quest hooks that a good GM can exploit. Maybe after some growth, your character decides to confront his abuser. Maybe he decides to bash his head in for revenge, or maybe he opts for the high road. Maybe he delivers a particularly brutal beating to an enemy and realizes that maybe his abuser was taking out his pent-up aggression and frustration on him just like he did now.

The possibilities are endless. There's no need to stifle them by reducing your character to a set of stats and saying "eh, I figure the rest out as we go." Don't ignore half of their life just because you didn't play it at the table.
>>
File: wearelaughing.gif (7MB, 640x356px) Image search: [Google]
wearelaughing.gif
7MB, 640x356px
>>50722345
>Those fucking tabs
>>
>>50737310
>Living in Estonia
>Not becoming mentally ill

Teach me your ways, sempai
>>
>>50737237
My parents recently got back from a trip to Estonia (dad was there on business, mom likes to travel with him just to see new places) and from what they've said, while the place is loaded with interesting history, everything about it is just depressing. If you're not into history, or have seen all of the relevant sites, there's nothing to do, the weather is like England and half of the architecture makes you feel like the Cold War is still on.

And I can see being Russian there a problem, since "hey, you look kind of Russian" could get you beat up on the street while a cop pretends to not notice. And pointing out that Estonian sounds a lot like Russian would get the cop to join in.
>>
>>50737629

Thanks for kind words fellow anon

>>50738056

Yeah it kinda freaked me out that Russians even were supposed to look a certain way let alone be discriminated against. Pretty much everyone I knew thought "But your all white" when hearing this
>>
File: 1481583134135.gif (1MB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1481583134135.gif
1MB, 406x364px
>>50738746
>>50738056
Not that it forgives the prejudice, but the Russians did invade and forcibly subjugate the Estonians. Multiple times. And part of the problem with Russian ethnic minorities in former Soviet countries was a deliberate ploy by the Soviets post-war to fill in the gaps left by the fleeing ethnic Germans and also to guarantee a population within each Socialist Republic that would be loyal directly to Moscow.

Soviet Union, not even once.
>>
>>50738056
>everything about it is just depressing.
Can confirm. As a Finn, visiting Estonia always feels like I'm visiting some kind of post bad end alternate dimension. On the surface it seems fine, but you just know there's something terribly wrong with it but can't really tell what exactly. The fact that it feels eerily familiar doesn't help, either.
>>
>>50718356
You are a perfect man anon, keep it up.
>>
>>50718356
damn that's fucking awesome. It's also awesome that she played along with that, most people who makes mary sue/gary stu type characters usually get angry as fuck if you mess with them

>also i will remember those 3 questions to give to my players
>>
>>50703100
i once failed at may sue-ing

>once we where playing some homebrew setting, kind of a post-apocaliptic bronze age messopotamia
>decided to go full deviantart for once to see what it is like
>make a character who is literally a god
>guy is inmortal and has powerfull as fuck magic
>he can also bring back the dead because whynot
>uses a big 2-handed sword
>is a bazillion years old
>basically invincible
>i get disgusted by this
>GM allows it
>still disgusted
>End up stripping him of all his powers
>he is mortal now
>the only thing he really has from his previous godhood is the wisdom and knowledge he gattered across the ages
>guy is wise as fuck and an expert fighter
>uses a spear, a sword, a shield and a sling
>great fighter, wise, but he is old, maybe too old for adventuring but refuses to stop
>his bones hurt in the morning and every injury is much worse for him than for the rest of the party, he also sometimes have problems with keeping up the pace
>but still the party profits greatly from his expertise and knowledge
>he teaches them about survival
>he teaches them about fighting and strategy
>he teaches them about magic, medicine and shit
> he turns them from a group of ragged vagabonds and adventurers into a force to be reckoned with
>turns out being like a dad to the party
>once the party finds a town that suffers from a plague (think something like the black death)
>goddad knows how to deal with it
>they start fighting the plague, burning the bodies, treating the sick, making a quarantine zone so it doesnt spread to other towns
>once its almost done he falls ill
>too old to recover, even with the medicines and treatment they made
>dies shortly after
>party is hearthbroken, they decided to find a way to bring him back
>in this setting the dead souls have nowhere to go but can stay, so when someone dies they just cease to exist
>there is no way to bring anyone back except with the power of a god
>he was the last god and had lost his power long ago
>>
File: shog 4.png (140KB, 238x275px) Image search: [Google]
shog 4.png
140KB, 238x275px
I've had a fuck of a mary sue experience as of late
>Playing fantasy pirates
>I'm the group fighter
>Group assassin has some romance thing to their backstory, looking for a lost love or something
>My character and the assassin get alomng really well, have cool RP
>Turn up to the session
>Suddenly his character "mysteriously died" and now he's playing at the love interest
>Love interest is a monk mary sue fuck who speaks a gorrilion languages, has more health than me, the group fighter, lowest stat is 16 and is some weird homebrew race
>Acts like a cocky shit throughout the entire session
>Eventually we end up in a fight against a boss
>Monk acting like a cocky shit as per usual charges it solo
>Boss crist the fucker for eleventy billion damage
>Cuts their arm off at the elbow
>GUYS YOU NEED TO PRROTECT ME YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
>Oh boy here it comes
>I'M PREGNANT WITH <assassin>'s BABY
>Mfw
>>
>>50722491
Reminds me of Sliders.
>>
>>50715312
>the girl in my group does exactly this
>befriends a wolf day one
>whenever my character becomes angry or frustrated or drunk, he lashes out and kicks or bludgeons the pet
>'awwwww!' every time
>>
>>50737568
A girl betrayed me like that and I've been shattered for like 5 years now, which poisoned my next, now failed relationship.
I'm fucking furious for you, but also glad you got over it. No one deserves that shit, man.
>>
File: just right.jpg (95KB, 405x540px) Image search: [Google]
just right.jpg
95KB, 405x540px
>Character is at the strongest level because he got grandfathered in
>"Yeah I could take over a criminal underground ring because I got bored."
>>
>>50715312
>Know what the boys like
>Make a boisterous barbarian woman who breaks pelvises as often as she breaks tables
>Get to embarrass everyone else in the party while being constantly thirsted after

I will never not do this.
>>
>>50742452
>character literally Kicks The Dog

you're That Guy of your group and you don't even know it
>>
This is a web of who-fucked-who in a freeform roleplay that I have participated in and by the grace of god remained unfucked.
>>
File: Laughter_Stops.png (50KB, 423x485px) Image search: [Google]
Laughter_Stops.png
50KB, 423x485px
>tell my players just to use basic things in the book while we figure stuff out
>one guy wants to play a Drider
>another wants to be a Warforged
>another wants to make his own magical gunslinger class
>the last one makes a simple dwarf fighter
>>
>>50742132
>I'M PREGNANT WITH <assassin>'s BABY
The got everything they deserved.
>>
>>50742801

Doesn't seem to bad when you realize that the more players there are means the more people fucked. Surely you've better stories.
>>
>>50742801
wot
>>
>>50718589
>>50718667
>>50720851
>>50722176
>>50731039
>>50741202
>>50741565
Thank you for your praise, Anons, it is much appreciated. The full list of questions I asked my players was:

>Who does your character love or cherish unconditionally, even if that feeling isn't reciprocated?
>Who does your character hate, possibly irrationally or without good cause?
>Who loves or cherishes your character, even if you don't feel the same way about them?
>Who hates your character and has a completely justified reason for their hatred?
>What's your biggest vice, compulsion, or quirk that gets you in trouble and makes things harder for you?
>What event made you the person you are today and shaped the way you see the world?
>What code or belief does your character hold, one that would be tested or bring your character into conflict with others?
>What's your darkest secret that, if ever revealed, would have you thrown in prison or even executed?
>What drives you to seek adventure, even if it puts you in deadly peril?
>Where does your character see themselves in five years? What deeds have they accomplished?

I also asked them what they wanted out of the campaign. How much combat, exploration, and social interaction they wanted each session. Whether they wanted it to be bright or dark, noble or grim. What kinds of themes or locales they were interested in exploring. Whether they wanted to use something rules-light or crunchy for the system. Those sorts of broad questions, never anything specific about the content of an adventure.

I used all these questions to weave the PCs into the campaign's narrative while keeping the same overall structure I'd already planned out. Replace a few NPCs here and there, tweak a couple of encounters to suit their backgrounds, add some moral quandaries that tested their morality. The dark secrets are particularly fun since everyone is keeping vital information from each other, both in and out of character, and it's a mystery-oriented campaign.
>>
>>50704232
>Current character is a grizzled IG sergeant
>spent most of his life fighting orks or eldar or dark eldar or tau or whatever
>spent most of the time he wasn't fighting listening to propaganda about how the eldar want to eat kids n shit
>hates all ayyylmaos with a passion and is now a colossal space-racist
>other players get angry with me out-of-character whenever he uses anti-xeno slurs or refuses to work with xenos or executes xeno prisoners.

Am I the bad guy or are my group just pussies?
>>
>>50743648
They're pussies, you're in character, if I were you GM I'd be giving you bonus XP for be committed to the RP
>>
>>50743351
Yes but in most situations, you'd have lots of islands in which people have fucked one, maybe two people or in the most extreme cases, long and thin chains.

Not a gargantuan, tangled fuckweb.
>>
>>50743778

And because it's just an RPG, unbound by regular social conventions and sexual norms, you get the web. Come on, surely you've got some stories beyond one image.
>>
>>50743817
I'll settle for just posting the fuckweb, thanks. I feel no need to post about the ERP of others for people to get off too, no matter how cringey it can be.
>>
>>50739440
Living in a post Soviet Block country. So true.
>>
>>50737568

Damn senpai u from chirak and still alive? mufukers crazy outchea
>>
>>50743689
My GM ain't the kind to hand out extra experience for roleplaying, plus he was too busy trying to act as peacemaker with the other players and didn't want to annoy them further.
>>
>>50743939
Well that sounds shitty, players should always be rewarded for role playing, granted it sounds like your character is a big wedge for the party, but hell, they could have just agreed to feed your character to something. That's what my players did with the annoying as fuck Pally that was with them, first chance they got they sacked him.
>>
>>50716124
My first character was a cowardly comic relief Bard. He was pretty two-dimensional, but I wouldn't call him terrible.
>>
>>50743648
Depends
If this is a only war game then yeah your actions make sense.
However there are some problems and its not that your character is racist its just that your overly stubborn about it. To the point where you could actually be hindering the party and destroying key plot points.
My recommendation would be instead of having your character refuse to work with xenos think of it as him "exploiting them" and then ending them at the first sign of betrayal. And just executing prisoners is a stupid thing to do regardless of race cause those guys could be tortured for information.
>>
>>50743648
Pussies. Giant ones. Probably not understanding basics of 40k society.
>>
>>50744831
>torture
That's even worse than just killing them on the spot, though. Both morally and from the standpoint of "wtf kind of asshole is this guy, I don't want to play gaems with him anymore".
>>
>>50709994
should've just been a horrible mary-sue too. If theyre all having fun and seemed alright, when in rome
>>
>>50745201
Just call it enhanced interrogation then they will be fine with it
>>
File: -9 hp.jpg (1MB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
-9 hp.jpg
1MB, 1000x1414px
>>50743648
>GM has my Only War group run across some eldar
>my character immediately tries to smash the Farseers face in, but the group tells me she's just a nice human in white, not a xeno
>I'm a Ogryn so I'm actually stupid enough to trust the other PC's
>having to force myself to not metagame OOC
>long story short they backstab us and leave us for dead
>other players are mad at me for not warning them OOC
Yeah. Happened to me too.
>>
>>50710321
Our group has pretty much the same exact player. Honestly can't stand them. She also:
>regularly lies about her rolls (we play online) so that her characters are never inadequate
>makes her characters attractive, and expects everyone to be impressed with how attractive they are
>always tries to be in some kind of relationship in game (which she talks about to no end), sometimes even making DMPCs for her characters to date/marry (she's dating the DM)
>pretty much only cares about her characters, only cares about others if they're related to hers somehow
>gets incredibly upset if someone else's character does something cooler than hers (she doesnt have a very strong imagination, and complains that her characters never get to do anything cool)
>since she's dating the DM, she always seems to know whats going to happen, and uses that information to make her characters seem smarter
>also has a heavy influence over whats going to happen
>>
>>50743648
You're the bad guy if you're holding up the game/fucking with other players and they're pussies in general.
>>
/TG/, seeing as people have posted their characters here to be rated, i'll get in on that. Is my character a Mary Sue?

>old school decker, not the wetware type, but rather uses portable arm decking systems and a virtual servant sprite
>his first sprite ended up going wild and gaining sentience, works to augment his own hacking.
>managed to circumvent cyberpsychosis through sheer determination and lots of coffee
>only cyberware is innocuous internal stuff, still has his own muscles.
>got thrown into a dimensional door by a young, inventive dragon, landing in our current high fantasy setting.
>only one who can access odd artefacts falling out of the sky because they're both from the vanilla Shadowrun setting.
>>
>>50718852
Or maybe they just prefer playing healers.
>>
>Drow Knight
>left my home with my retainers after my family house fell
>now I'm on a quest to reclaim my family's former glory and murder the matron who ordered the attack on my house
Is Nazdu'rom a Mary sue?
>>
>>50746427
sounds like a pretty typical Drow business my friend, i think youre good
>>
File: 312.png (167KB, 398x269px) Image search: [Google]
312.png
167KB, 398x269px
>>50722345
>>
>>50746715
I really miss that character, the last thing he did before we retired that game was pour an oil drum down a flight of stairs, light said stairs on fire and stand at the top, ready to kick Kobolds back down into the fire. Good times.
>>
>>50718356
I did the same with my character - made her without any sighnificant flaws, but let her to develop it in game, lose some virtues and get flaws, secrets that could kill the character if known, etc. Was this bad or good?
>>
>>50722491
Yes...YEEESSSS you just gave me my BBEG
>>
Is there such a thing as an anti mary sue

Everyone seems to hate said character, Always had to struggle for everything said character has achieved, Never trusted, and his enemies or rivals near godlike compared to him
>>
>>50747189
Sounds like the end boss to me
>>
>>50741860
that's actually a pretty sick setup for a major quest or adventure that ends with sandess.
>>
File: IMG_1510.jpg (46KB, 720x719px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1510.jpg
46KB, 720x719px
I'm GMing a game of 5th edition and a long term player I have that always plays a character edgier than a bag of razor blades has officially outdone himself.

> Yuan-ti
> 1 level Rouge
> 2 levels Shadow Sorcerer
> Named "Crow"
> Raised on the hard streets by a criminal
> He repeatedly told me that he "Doesn't care about anything"

> MRW trying to get him involved in a story he's to Shadow the Edgehog to give a shit about.
>>
>>50703100
pacifist fighter who's against killing sounds like a interesting character flaw so long as the player doesn't go full retard about it
>>
>>50746899
It depends on what kind of GM you have and what kind of campaign they're trying to run. If it's something like a published adventure module wherein the NPCs are the important players and the PCs are mostly just the guys killing things and doing quests for them, then a blank-ish slate can be fine. You can develop your character as you play - just clear everything by your GM so you don't (for example) make your guy have a crazy hatred of undead and tons of experience killing them just as you learn that you'll be mostly fighting an undead plague.

In a lot of other games the GM tailors the plot and adventures around what the party wants to accomplish, or around their backstories. Every enemy, ally, vice, dark secret, and moral code is a 'hook' they can use to get you invested in the plot. Of course your undead-hating ranger wants to go to the town where corpses have been disappearing! Of course you'll want to take down the Big Bad when his right-hand-man is your rival from Wizard University! If you're a blank slate you don't have those hooks, so he can't really make the adventure appeal to your character - and possibly even you the player as well.

This is why a lot of starter GMs offer things like money, magic items, and Not Getting Murdered to PCs as quest rewards for the first adventure. They don't find out what the heroes WANT, so they assume that power, money, and being alive are all good carrots at the end of the stick that is Questing. To an extent they're right, but those kinds of simple rewards are kinda hollow and ultimately unfulfilling to most players. If you can't latch on to their real, personal interests then eventually you'll bore them.

One of the worst things a GM can do is TELL you that your character cares about something, or is invested in a hook. "Yeah, your ranger REALLY cares about hunting those zombies." You might as well tell your player that they're having fun with your campaign.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.