[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: ghoul_by_nordheimer[1].jpg (77KB, 711x800px) Image search: [Google]
ghoul_by_nordheimer[1].jpg
77KB, 711x800px
Alright, /tg/, long story short: I'm fucked.

OSR game, party of two. I'm playing this fruity stupid swashbuckler. I've got +4 to attack (16 THAC0, if you seriously are curious) and a DECENT amount of damage. Player opposite me is running a cleric, with a really nice turn undead. Just outright kills maybe 3-4 HD worth of undead, and can be used every 5 minutes. Could it be better? Probably. Maybe.

Gear is pretty basic, got a mundane sword, Cleric's got a mundane sword, but they've only got +1 to attack.

We're in a dungeon. The worst dungeon ever, just absolutely chock full of monstrous undead. It hasn't been bad, but the next encounter is out-and-out death. Six ghouls, each one has three attacks. THREE. And they have 2 HD each. Plus, save-or-die paralysis touch for each one.

Now, neither of our characters know about the paralysis touch, but we might, depending on an intelligence check. So we have that working against us.

We know the encounter is coming down the hall, which can make for a DECENT chokepoint... unfortunately, all the halls are 10'x10'. Retreat is... a dubious option. We don't really run much faster than them.

My kind of saving grace is that I've got a pair of flintlock pistols, so we might be able to take out some of them at range, which would be good. I could use up my (only) powder horn, maybe to blow up a handful of them. There is, however, no guarantee that this will work.

The cleric also has healing — the healing is in fact SO GOOD, and nearly infinite. Could we argue to the DM that the healing should harm these guys? If so, that might actually take out MOST of them... provided the cleric doesn't get paralyzed first.
>>
>>50693704
Ghoul relevant stats:
Armor Class: 6;Attacks: 2 claws +2 and 1 bite +2; Damage: 1d3/1d3/1d3; Move: 30’
>>
Either your DM is out to kill you, or he wants you to flee, because you won't win this.
Either way, running away is the only reasonable option. You don't even need to know about the paralysing for that, it's six against two, just take what you have and leave. If you are lucky you might be able to blow up a door or something on the way out.
>>
>>50694011
Unfortunately we've been able to take out larger groups of lesser enemies. Tactical sense has been loose, unfortunately. I've been ganged up on by like six undead at once, with no regards to crowding.

The dungeon which is randomly generated (poorly, which will be rectified in future dungeons) is basically one long horrible tunnel with no doors. There are very few places to blockade or choke-hold, it was an ancient temple with strange geometries.

I think that we're going to have to acquire throwing-weapons and try to pelt the bastards, or suck up a TPK, though I'd really rather not. There... is furniture, perhaps, that I could use to blockade. Or to use as firewood, maybe? Pews and things, by description. Also further in there's a super dry area with dessicated corpses that were entombed in clay vessels! They're mostly dust, so they'd burn well, but I'm not sure how fire might actually benefit the situation. Are ghouls afraid of fire?
>>
WELL SHIT. I have to do this now.

As soon as the fight is done, whether we live or die, I'll post here.

Wish me luck, /tg/.
>>
>>50694419
Perhaps you could use the inflammable furniture to block/herd the ghouls in a certain direction. When all else fails, set shit on fire. Still, when you get the chance just gtfo that dungeon.
>>
>>50694544
waitwait, shoot the cleric in the knee and run away while the ghouls eat them!
>>
>>50694557
Hrm. This has promise. Thanks anon!
>>
>>50694544
Hold tight boys.
>>
Get hirelings next time OP. They're perfect distractions at times like these.
>>
>>50694701
We're getting set up. Cleric alerted me ahead of time that there were six undead up ahead, so we're crouching out on the corner of the previous hall, outside of the room itself. Turn Undead works at range — so do my pistols. I only have three shots (three total pistols, lifted one off of a friend-guy I had to shoot, long story.)

Waiting for response to see what happens.
>>
Just don't enter the room if you know there are 6 ghouls in it. It's just that simple. If you've managed to gather that intel, by all means use it.

You're not playing a railroad, are you?
>>
>>50694827
We're going to wait for them to come to us. With the smell of flesh about, they'll surely catch a whiff of us coming!
>>
>>50693704
Positive energy does harm undead, who are ususally animated by negative energy.
>>
WOO HOLY SHIT THAT WAS TENSE.

Alright, so it was very simple. We found an impromptu-trap last minute, that dealt 3d6 to anything that didn't save. Ghouls have pretty shitty saves, (14+) which dropped on them.

It was something we'd missed coming in, but neither of us actually tripped it, but there were these heavy stone murals and statues built into the facade which had become timeworn and very easily collapsable, so as we were running back through we just knocked the statues down and killed the majority. Turn Undead, and good old fashioned shooting did the rest of the work!
>>
>>50695249
Well done. Sounds like you need to invest in some mooks/retainers/mercenaries/suckers though. Especially if there are only two of you.
>>
>>50695249
Sounds like the GM taking pity on you m8

also man this entire thread was so pointless Im getting autism just by responding
>>
>>50697324
This

GM realized he set up a TPK and gave you an out.
>>
>>50697324
>>50697794

Maybe, but AD&D has some pretty devious rules for traps, where a trap is only set off on a die roll of, I think it was 2-in-6? Or maybe 1-in-6, I don't have the books at hand.
So you might only trigger a particular trap on your way back out of the dungeon or with the guys at the tail end of a large party, unless you find it and intentionally set it off. That's what this guy did.
>>
>>50697910
I guess, I won't argue its possible but damn if it doesn't feel and sound CONVENIENT. Also OP sounds like a starry-eyed player of like 16 years of age who doesn't know any better for real
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.