[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FATE Core tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: FateCoreBookCover.jpg (190KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
FateCoreBookCover.jpg
190KB, 900x1350px
I plan to master a FATE core session next week.
The setting will most likely be a fantasy setting (the players and I haven't build the world yet).
Even if I like the concept of FATE a lot, there is something I don't get: how do extras work? How are they different from stunts?
Also, if you have some tips or tricks that I should know, please tell me, because I've never played FATE and I'm afraid that I could screw this up.
>>
>>50690748
If you're players like longer battles or more intense ones you'll need to craft your own HP system. Battles can be really quick even if two characters are battling with mostly equal stats.
>>
>>50690766
Any ideas on how?
>>
>>50690829
I created a baseline artificial life, then a pseudo level/reward system wherein HP was the default.

I tiered it by placing additional free boxes between the base games damage.
>>
File: BGH_6.jpg (1MB, 1526x2000px) Image search: [Google]
BGH_6.jpg
1MB, 1526x2000px
Not OP, but I'm going to be a player in my first FATE game soon. Anyone have any tips on what makes a good Aspect?
I want to be as prepared as possible for when we're doing our chargen session.
>>
>>50690748
Extras are the catchall for everything not part of the default character creation process, according to the game you're playing. In one game they might be your super powers, in another they might be your kick ass car, or giant fighting robot.
Extras can have their own skills, aspects or stunts, as necessary to the game you're playing. The bullet points on page 273 of the core illustrate why an extra should have which game elements.
>>
>>50691111
I think that picking Troubles or other aspects with downsides make sure you and the GM will find them fun, you don't want to be starving yourself of Fate points because you hate dragging in your troubles.
This is probably my pet peeve, but when you're interlacing your characters in character creation (if that's how you're doing it), don't default to the obvious choices, if that makes sense.
>>
>>50691191
Thanks for the input. I'll keep in mind what you said when we're interlacing our backstories.

Some of the potential Aspects I've written down so far include:
>Cannot say no to [Character Name]
>I tend to be the cause of my own problems
>I only kill animals
>SCOTTISH, not British
>Wanted for the murder of [Character Name]
I feel it's real fine line between too specific and too vague aspects.
>>
>>50691436
What kind of situation you could invoke your first aspect for a bonus? Now it seems just a negative one, which is not good design.
Where do you see scottish not british applying? At the moment it seems more like a quirk not a functional aspect.
The other ones are good.
>>
>>50691436
>>I tend to be the cause of my own problems
This could be worded differently to feel stronger, compare "I'm my own worst enemy"
>>
>>50691603
>>50692115
Thanks for the help. It's very much appreciated.
>>
>>50691603
>What kind of situation you could invoke your first aspect for a bonus?

>DON'T YOU DIE ON ME!
>>
>>50692265
Mm true. I guess actions [character] asks the PC to do could also get the bonus, but that overlaps with the passing an advantage mechanics a bit so I don't know how happy his GM would be with that.

Thinking more about it the 'I kill only animals' is one sided too. Reword to 'I kill animals', that way it applies to repherensible people too.
>>
>>50690748
A tip I feel is often overlooked: don't be afraid to make situation Aspects mechanically relevant without involving the exchange of Fate Points. Not just in the sense of "of course you can't shoot them through a row of Steel Containers with a handgun". For certain actions each relevant aspect might add +2 to passive opposition, or an aspect might require you to create an advantage before you can accomplish the desired effect.
>>
>>50690766
I don't think longer battles have ever been a positve thing in tabletop RPGs.
>>
>>50691436
It's sort of weird for a scot to take offense at being called british, especially in a historical setting. Call one english though, and you've got trouble.
>>
File: this kid wants you to stop it.gif (6MB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
this kid wants you to stop it.gif
6MB, 448x336px
>>50690766
>>50690858
>hit points
>in Fate
>levels
>in Fate
>>
File: IconsAssembled_450_1024x1024.jpg (134KB, 450x678px) Image search: [Google]
IconsAssembled_450_1024x1024.jpg
134KB, 450x678px
Talking about Fate, anyone have this gem?
>>
>>50696365
If you haven't already you should also post your request in the pdf share thread >>50653883
>>
>>50696365
Kinda played some snippets of it before I ever got into Fate core 'n' stuff, actually. I wonder how much of the framework I'd actually go "Oh!" and facepalm at going back to it now.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.