[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I world build ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1478210156648.jpg (97KB, 691x960px) Image search: [Google]
1478210156648.jpg
97KB, 691x960px
Hi ! I'm trying to write a story with a friend and would appreciate and help writing a story or building a world. Whether it be advice or things for me to use i'd really appreciate it.
>>
>>50687590
give me something to work with. give me some details of your setting

high or low fantasy?
no fantasy?
historical drama?

what am i working with here
>>
>>50687590
What's the issue your having?
Writers block? Internal consistency? Vesimilitude? Not enough explosions?
>>
>>50687590
>5th world building thread
Come on, dude, use the catalogue.
>>
>>50687610
It's sorta fantasy.
I'm gonna skip all the bullshit i've written about why it is how it is but it's a desert planet with very little water with relics of the old world ( that was high-tech ) that are used by people trying to rebuild the world. Think Fallout mixed with a generic western setting, but with more technology, and there's magic.

>>50687611
The whole shabang, really. I have a good idea of what I WANT but have no idea how to properly achieve it.
What I want itself is a world that's full of outlandish characters that can still stay serious at times, but i'm afraid of making it too silly or stupid.

>>50687611
A little bit of everything.
Just need some interesting advice I guess

>>50687646
Damn, man, sorry. I'm new here.
>>
>>50687590
Think of nations and cultures that you think are cool, then change the names (optional) and plop them down on your worldmap.
>>
File: 1481083005127.png (1MB, 800x800px)
1481083005127.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>50687590
http://www.mediafire.com/file/l5x8dq1838s98vy/Kobold+Guide+To+World+Building.pdf

Read it, sempai
>>
>>50687999
Just start writing down things you want in your world. Moods, people, ideas, objects, places

Structure can come later
>>
File: fantasy man with no name.jpg (714KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy man with no name.jpg
714KB, 1000x1414px
>>50687590
>>50687999
So we have a few components, some of which general, some are themes, and some are physical guidelines.
>Western
>Desert
>Old relics
>High tech
>Magic

Your world is a desert planet with old relics and western culture. Adding tech and magic to the world are general qualities that will vary based on your idea of them, but they do open up questions. Only you can know what each of those elements mean, and your players will probably depend on you having answers to the important stuff and enough of a comprehensive feeling for you to ad-lib the rest.

You should ask questions about the basics each elements interaction, how they come together to form a whole?
>How do the parts of the western genre fit in?

Natives, lone gunslingers, gold, boom towns, criminals, settlers, all that and more. You should have an idea of how the other elements interact with the genre/culture, how it changes or integrates each part.

>What is the history of the planet, the ecology and environment? How does this interact with the other elements?

Environmental effects, native species, the lay of the land. Survival in the desert, a lack of resources, and the feel of the land. Make the environment a character of its own, with likes, dislikes, habits, quirks, and most importantly MEANING.
>>
>>50690880
Cont.

>Why are the old relics there, and what do they do? What is their nature and what do they mean to the setting? If these are relics, why did whatever made them die? Are they powerful, sought after? Painful reminders of old times? What kinds are there?

An old colonizer ship whose malfunctioning life support system is creating storms, runes of power carved into rock by lighting, all that jazz. This may be one of the parts to best get creative, and a sure source of plot hooks. PCs do like to hunt down cool gear, you might just get them to care about the setting along the way.

>What bits of high tech are there? What determines how and why they are used? How do they compare to magic? Who has technology or magic? What problems do they create or solve?

Sufficiently advanced tech=magic may hold true in your setting, or something else entirely. Both are vehicles for power and options. What the power is, or the option provided is up to you. The biggest question with these is how they affect your society, because no society goes unchanged by tech or magic.

The final point though which I cannot stress enough is this: WOULD MY WORLD BE FUN OR INTERESTING? That is the end goal, to have fun. Your world must be one the players can become invested in, or it has failed. I've made the mistake of prioritizing my headcanon over player ingenuity, and lost player interest as a result.

Remember after all this worldbuilding to be open to new ideas, and IF YOU DIDN'T TELL THE PLAYERS, IT ISN'T REAL YET.

Best of luck, I hope this wall of text has been helpful.
>>
>>50690964
The key is characters. Characters with their own goals and aspirations. Characters that will do their thing and effect the world whether the players are involved or not. Have the players see some of the consequenses of your characters actions, and they will inevitably be drawn in, and eventually create stories of their own as the players interests conflict with the forces of your setting. Have things change, businesses fail, monsters raze a nearby village, new settlements crop up, factions go to war, new weapons are made, people retire and die.

If you do this right, the game will write itself, and feel much more like a world rather than a video game where encounters and quest givers are waiting for them to turn the corner.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.