[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surreal/bizarre worlds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: luxfon.com-6844.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
luxfon.com-6844.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
I'm preparing an adventure for my weekly pen&paper group and I want to change things a bit.
Instead of creative adventures in a standard world I want to create a standard adventure (like rescue the princess from the evil wizard or something) in a strange/bizarre world.
I'm thinking about stuff like:
- M.C. Escher-like architecture
- 'Air is solid and the ground gaseous' (a bit like ground made of purest glass and the air being foggy as fuck)
- candles that create shadows instead of light
- falling up instead of down when jumping from a ledge
- torches always burning straight (e.g. if you turn the torch upside down then the flame burns down like it's standing the right way up)
- the player group encountering themselves in some situation, time running reverse and stuff like that

Anyone of you guys had any adventures in that direction?
I need more ideas!
>>
The problem I see with this op, is almost all of it is very visual. It's very very hard to express it to good effect in a pen and paper game.

I'd say try to include more conceptual wierdness. One anon here had a quote from a game that I think illustrates this, the game started with the line "we've gotten reports from all over the town that books have suddenly stopped working"

That to me works better. Because instead of being a visual contradiction, it is a conceptual one.

Sorry not sure if that helps at all.
>>
>>50676458
That's really good thanks!
Working more on a conceptual plane surely is easier for the players.

On the visual 'problem': I often read a few (2-3) sentences to the players when entering a new region so they get a feeling of how it looks there from the get-go.
>>
>>50676528
Well I am not questioning how you describe, but how would one even go about describing a scene like this in words in such a way as to emulate the same surreality in this image? I don't know, perhaps it is just me, but it seems to me that it's much harder to put why something is weird in words, compared to a picture (that as that old saying about the 1000 words goes)

Unfortunately I'm not really that creative so I doubt I can help you come up with any more ideas, sorry.
>>
>>50676621
Whoops forgot the image
>>
I once ran my players through a horror one-shot that involved:
- upside-down rooms
- doors that randomized which room it opened up to every time you stepped through
- reversed-time rooms
- smells that don't fit the visuals, eg the smell of a banquet hall in a room full of decaying flowers or the smell of grass and flowers deep, deep underground

I also enjoy tossing in OOPArt to mindfuck my players. Stuff like a single fresh green oak leaf in a tomb that was sealed for several hundred years or the skeleton of an angel in a modern campaign
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.