[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GM Bias?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Do you ever have the feeling that your DM is somehow biased against you? I recently lost a PC in a game, and I'm kind of sore about it.

We're playing Weaver Dice, which is the "official" Worm RPG. In Weaver Dice, campaigns are usually on a one-on-one basis: Everyone's based out of a single city, and their actions affect the events in the city through a series of solo sessions. (i.e. Player A goes first, then Player B, then Player C, then back to Player A again. If Player A burns down a building, Player B and C have to deal with the fallout.) Also, the powers and background you receive are entirely random, and not generated by you at all.

Okay, so my PC's background is that he's the son of parahuman hitman. When he triggered after a kidnapping attempt, he gained short-ranged teleportation powers. Unlike his father, he wants to be a hero, so he joins the Wards after a failed attempt at vigilantism.

Then everything falls apart. Another player (A member of the Russian mafia, the "Bratva") mounts an attack on the prison my PC is guarding, to breakout one of his superiors. Because he brought gunmen with him, I get flashbanged, shot and then he punches me out with his metal arm after a brief fight.

After I recover, I try to go after the PC-goon, but I have no leads and no-one likes me because of my earlier vigilante actions. And after THAT, I hear that another PC has killed my PC's dad because of a botched assassination attempt.

When I go after the 2nd PC (aiming to target him through his girlfriend) I get ambushed by a THIRD PC, who is a combat Thinker. Said PC is suspiciously well-equipped to fight me, with armor tailored to ward off electric shocks (My main weapon, because I have stun batons), a visor that lets him see through the smoke clouds left by my teleportation, and a wide array of knives.

In short order, he beats me down and then he guts me.
>>
>>50673046

Can I say that this is unfair? I barely did anything, and I was the punching bag for everyone else. I get that rough things can happen in a game with PvP, but my guy kept getting beaten down! Is it wrong to be upset about this?
>>
>>50673046

Bump.
>>
>>50673046
>playing Weaver Dice

had it coming
>>
>>50673046
Next time don't hit on my girlfriend, Gareth
>>
>>50673334

What's wrong with Weaver Dice?
>>
>>50673046
>Do you ever have the feeling that your DM is somehow biased against you?
Yes. It was a shit DM who also invited his crazy backseat driver GF and murderhobo friend to play situation. The GF hated my guts so she had the DM create problems for my character and convinced his friend I was the spawn of satan despite being the one who routinely cleaned up his mistakes and prevented party wipes. It was a god damn mess.

I haven't played Weaver, but that situation sounds more like bad luck and the other party members ganging up on you while you were down. Sounds like your character needs alliances and friends. Going after big groups while everyone hates you doesn't work well.
>>
>>50673609
>>50673046

OP is completely wrong, by the way. He was an absolute non-entity in the game. He was killed mostly because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, not out of any deliberate intention.
>>
>>50673046
>GM allows PvP at the table
You should leave while you still can
>>
>>50673046
sometimes you just get outplayed
I'd talk to your DM about it, if they basically tell you to fuck off then yeah they're just there to fuck your shit up, if they actually talk about it it's probably just bad luck and you not being paranoid enough IC
>>
>>50673707
Are you another player? Tell us your side of the story, fampai.
>>
>>50674421

Yeah, it's very simple.

I was playing the Russian mafia dude. An important NPC in the organization had been captured by the other PCs, and I spent a few sessions putting together the elements of a plan to free him. Basically, a small group of thugs with Tinker-made costumes and guns would rob a bank, in order to lure the Protectorate out of the base. Meanwhile, the main force of ten men would enter the base via hijacked food trucks.

These men, led by my PC, would storm the base and break him out. We were all armed to the teeth with body armor and assault rifles, with flashbangs, two grenades and a satchel charge in case we needed to blast the jail cells open. We also had an 'escape' parahuman along for the ride, who could transform into electricity and move along power lines.

After we got into the PRT base, we overpowered the guards at the gatehouse but accidentally set off the alarm. OP and another Ward, who could create area-of-effect snowstorms and had an elusive Breaker state, showed up leading a group of PRT agents as a counterattack.

As we were outnumbered, I directed my men to lob flashbangs at them, then open fire. After the first exchange of gunfire, it became clear that we weren't getting anywhere, so I directed them to use the grenades and lob the satchel charge.

Now, my guy is a Mover/Brute. He can fly at supersonic speeds, but only in straight lines. He also has a metal right arm with super-strength. OP teleported in close to engage, and I directed my squad to open fire at him. He evaded most of the attacks by teleporting, but his one weakness was that he couldn't teleport consecutively. (More)
>>
>>50674783

So I rammed into him when he emerged and coldcocked him with a punch to the head. The prisoners broke out with the electric Mover's help and we made a hasty withdrawal.

So you see, it actually wasn't any deliberate plan to spite OP. As a Ward, he was naturally reactive where the villains are proactive. He just had bad luck with die rolls, because he was objectively the better fighter. I only really won because he'd been flashbanged, rattled by the explosions, then shot multiple times.
>>
>>50673046
>Do you ever have the feeling that your DM is somehow biased against you?
A couple times in games where I was new and the other players had all known each other a long time, but either it got better quickly or I left quickly. More often, I've had GMs who are biased in my favor. I used to exploit that when I was younger, now I try to avoid taking advantage of it.
>>
>played in a homebrew d20 modern thing a few years back
>dm, me, bro, codfag, and three girls, one of whom I was sleeping with unbeknownst to anyone else
>dm is thirsty as fuck
>girls get away with doing all kinds of shit that the guys can't, even if it's explicitly against the rules
>girl I'm fugging starts abusing this to my advantage and my character, who's a generic fighter type dude, ends up with a suit of powered armor and what was basically a gundam seed anti-ship sword
>derail his game by being unstoppable and and trolling the shit out of his railroading ass then go fuck the girl he wants afterwards

Good times.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.