[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D 3.5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

My DM is using an alternate system for D&D 3.5 leveling up. Let me know what you guys think of it.

You no longer receive attribute increases every 4 levels, or feats every odd level after first, excluding your first feat. Instead you get 5 training points per level. Training points can be saved and spent whenever.

1 point = 1 permanent damage resistance (fire/frost/magic/sonic/poison/diseas) up to 5 max
7 points = feat
3 points = skill rank
5 points = cc skill rank
10 points = attribute

in addition, every single level you get an attribute point, this point can not be put into the same attribute back to back. For example level 2 you pick int, level 3 you have to pick not int, and then level 4 you can pick int again.

At level 10 and 20 you get +1 all attributes.

No single attribute can go over 18 (or 20 if your race gives you a +2 bonus). It can still go over with bonuses, buffs, etc but your base cant go over 18.

So basically if you dont care about skill points or attributes or any of that stuff you can get 14 feats from 1-20.
>>
File: 1470785724380.png (181KB, 585x2561px) Image search: [Google]
1470785724380.png
181KB, 585x2561px
>>50671892
>My DM
See, the thing about that... the way your wording this all...
>Let me know what you guys think of it.
makes me pretty sure it's YOUR idea.

What an awkwardly phrased your request for feedback.

>You no longer receive [...] or feats every odd level after first,
Feats are normally every third level.

So lets take a look here,
you normally get a third of a feat per level (-7/3),
and a fourth of an ability score increase per level (-10/4),
but they still get a tenth of a score increase (+10/10),
on top of 5 points.

That's ~1.167 extra points of crap per level.
You should be giving AT MOST as much value per level as normal.
Probably less, considering that having options is itself valuable.

You've also scaled your prices weird. IIRC, some feats give upwards of +6 to (across several) skills?
It's not as good as front-loading onto one skill, but you can definitely get at least +3 to one skill from feats.
Not sure how much damage resistance you an get from a feat, but you gut instinct is some feats give 5 of that?
But frankly no one will ever want that. Ever. Speaking of things people actually want, where are bonuses to saves?

This entire thing seems poorly thought out. And frivolous.
If you must run your shitty homebrew, run it without us.

Or better yet, don't run it.

pic unrelated
>>
File: it-stinks.jpg (23KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
it-stinks.jpg
23KB, 290x290px
>>50671892
Your idea is awful and you don't know what you're doing. This doesn't address or fix any problems, adds nothing but meaningless complexity, and will only be used for adding extra cheese to the ill-gotten progeny of an already completely broken-over-the-knee system.

>Free +1 attribute every level, +1 to everything at 10 and 20.
>Can't go over 18
These two things right here conflict with each other. That's giving a player a total of 32 attribute points over the course of 20 levels and unless they can go over 18 chances are good they'll be either pushing 18 in every stat by then or will actually be unable to add points because they hit 18 in every stat by the mid teens.

On the other hand if I've misread things and you intend to let these attributes go over the limit of 18 then it's still broken and shitty. The +1 attribute will just be put in the same two alternating attributes every other level, giving effectively +12 to each character's two primary attributes from levels 1-20.

This is all before we get talking to training points, which are a disaster. 3.5 suffers from a problem where feats become less valuable as characters increase in level. You usually take your most important and critical feats early on and then each marginal feat slot is filled with something less and less desirable. It's a big reason why fighter bonus feats are shit. Fighters get all the feats they really want by level 4 and then spend 16 levels picking dregs they will never use. With your system, people will grab all the feats they want instantly and then pick up an extra attribute point every two levels, netting another +8 or so attribute points over the course of the 20 levels. Hope you like casters with natural 38 casting stats at level 20 before racial bonuses.
>>
>>50673723
>With your system, people will grab all the feats they want instantly

... is this actually bad though? People geting online faster is a good thing.

I mean, the system is otherwise a trainwreck, but I'm not sure it's making things actively worse by that much (on account of 3.5 being so messed up that whatever random change you do you have like a 50% chance to still improve the game in some way).
>>
>>50674437
>... is this actually bad though? People geting online faster is a good thing.
I wasn't trying to make it out to be a bad thing, sorry if it came off that way. The point I was trying to make is that it gets pretty much all feat progression out of the way more or less immediately then no more points will be spent on feats, which means all those points that would be spent on feats now get spent on attributes, exacerbating the existing problem with handing out too many attribute points.
>>
>let's screw non-casters even more!

People really need to stop trying to 'fix' 3.5. It's an awful system, you aren't going to fix it with your shitty ideas, and you have no idea what you're actually trying to do with these stupid house rules. Just trash the system and move on.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.