[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vehicle Survey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: tom-carne-1.jpg (1MB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
tom-carne-1.jpg
1MB, 3000x2250px
Which of the following would you be most interested in being the crew of/riding on during a game session or quest? You may select more than one, suggest your own or explain your suggestions as you wish.

1. Sci-fi spaceship, fairly standard
2. Hard Sci-fi Spaceship, more realistic with no artificial gravity, warp drives or hand wavey systems.
3. Naval ship, sail driven, such as a galleon.
4. Navel ship, engine powered, such as a battle ship or destroyer
5.Realistic large airplane, such as a Superfortress, with ball guns and bombs
6. semi-fantastic airplane, such as the giant flying fortress bosses in ace combat.
7. An entirely fantastic flying vehicle, such as a floating island or giant flying creature
8. An airship, like a blimp.
9. A submarine
10. A burrowing machine
11. A massive land vehicle, like a Crawler, see image.
12. An oversized tank or cannon platform.
13. A giant humanoid mecha, power rangers style
>>
>>50670808
Honestly, any of those sound cool, if you forced me to choose (with out an environmental setting) I would say Galleon. Mainly because I'm sucker for the age of sail.

But my decision would change with different settings.
>>
>>50670808
I tend to like these more, though the others are fine if the setting is good.
>1. Sci-fi spaceship, fairly standard
>4. Navel ship, engine powered, such as a battle ship or destroyer
>>
>>50671037
>>50671331
Fair enough, I'm just curious to see where /tg/ leans without setting info, because, like you said, you can make something neat out of any of those. But exactly what would vary.
>>
>>50670808
>7. An entirely fantastic flying vehicle, such as a floating island
Just off the top of my head? Floating island. I play games to go places, and I'll never get to see a floating island so...
>>
>>50671542
It's a fair reason.

I should add
14. Giant land creature, such as a colossus or maybe a sauropod.
>>
>>50670808
or
>7. A floating island
Depending on the setting. I'd prefer a moderately large one which I could use as a mobile base of operations.
>>
>>50670808
>a tank
The crew is around 3-5 person depending on wich one. that its party size
Has a big canon
more direct contact with enemy, and can be destroyed without being tpk (its not simply a safe haven)
you can fight in it around landtroops
you can trasport it in another vehicles
You can scout with it
Its like your summer car but for all the party.

Anyone knows of a good tank rpg?
>>
>>50670808
>Sci-fi spaceship, fairly standard
>An entirely fantastic flying vehicle, such as a floating island or giant flying creature
> A massive land vehicle, like a Crawler, see image.

Really anything that seems too massive to be moving. Especially that last one. I'm imagining the Mammoth mission in halo 4, but extended over an entire campaign.
>>
File: 1466997156038.jpg (742KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1466997156038.jpg
742KB, 800x800px
>>50670808
>2. Hard Sci-fi Spaceship, more realistic with no artificial gravity, warp drives or hand wavey systems.
>3. Naval ship, sail driven, such as a galleon.
>5.Realistic large airplane, such as a Superfortress, with ball guns and bombs
>8. An airship, like a blimp.
>9. A submarine
>11. A massive land vehicle, like a Crawler, see image.
>12. An oversized tank or cannon platform.
>13. A giant humanoid mecha, power rangers style
>>
>>50670808
Quite a lot depends on where you can go, of course. If you don't have any interesting destinations, then it's all moot. In that sense, "it depends on the setting" is a valid answer, albeit a very boring one.

I love vehicles and traveling, so I can't resist commenting on all of the options.

Spaceships can go all kinds of places, but spaceships are so heavily used that it's hard to make one particularly interesting or memorable. You pretty much know what you're going to get. Loads of travel potential, but not that exciting in and of itself.

>2. Hard Sci-fi Spaceship, more realistic with no artificial gravity, warp drives or hand wavey systems.
Like hard SF in general, it's great when you can pull it off, and kind of dull otherwise. Highly interesting vehicle, but low travel potential-- you're just not going to reach alien civilizations in one of these.

>3. Naval ship, sail driven, such as a galleon.
A classic, for good reason, and severely underused. Fun, with loads of travel potential, but if you really want to get the most out of it you have to learn something about sailing and naval combat; as a player, I'd definitely be down for that, but a lot of other people wouldn't.

Never seen a campaign that used one of these, but I'd like to. Maybe something dieselpunk? It might be hard to give these options character, though, and it'd be odd for the PCs to own one outright.
>>
>>50675514
cont'd.

>5.Realistic large airplane, such as a Superfortress, with ball guns and bombs
>6. semi-fantastic airplane, such as the giant flying fortress bosses in ace combat.
>7. An entirely fantastic flying vehicle, such as a floating island or giant flying creature
>8. An airship, like a blimp.
Flying vehicles can go pretty much anywhere and can have lots of character. Large ones are also great for carting around all the random crap that players pick up. However, the atmosphere doesn't present much in the way of difficult terrain, so flying vehicles can be almost too effective at getting from point A to point B. Blimps and zeppelins are relatively slow and can be affected by strong winds, so if you want to emphasize the journey over the destination, they're good picks.

>9. A submarine
My personal favorite by a wide margin. People who think this option is dull need to re-read their Verne.

>10. A burrowing machine
These are fascinating because we've never quite built one. (Yes, we have tunnel boring machines, but those aren't really vehicles. And I know about the subterrene stuff already.) The scenery is, unfortunately, about as dull as it gets, so the fun you get out of a burrowing machine really depends on what's underground. I think.

>11. A massive land vehicle, like a Crawler, see image.
These have the personality and hauling-stuff advantages of flying vehicles with the interesting-encounter potential of... well, land vehicles. Cool, but you're not going to get anywhere quickly, and you're going to have to stick to ground that can support your weight.

>12. An oversized tank or cannon platform.
Interesting idea, and you could definitely get a campaign out of it, but aren't those really cramped? It sounds like the kind of journey that would have frequent stops.

>13. A giant humanoid mecha, power rangers style
Great for combat, probably pretty lousy for traveling. I like mecha, but I don't think I'd want to travel any significant distance in one.
>>
>>50675597
cont'd-- sorry, I just happen to love this topic.

My ordering would be: submarine, burrowing machine (provided we have somewhere to go), fantastic flying vehicle, airship, realistic large airplane, semi-fantastic airplane, massive land vehicle, engine-powered naval ship, sail-driven naval ship, standard spaceship, hard SF spaceship, oversized tank, giant humanoid mecha.

What about caravans? Trains? Teleportation-like TARDIS-oid vehicles? Winnebagos? Cruise ships? I would love to do a campaign where the characters travel around in a beat-up station wagon with wood paneling.
>>
>>50675674
Last one, I swear. How do people feel about fantastic/anachronistic spaceships (a la Spelljammer)? There's also the subgenre of "things that really weren't meant to travel at all getting used as vehicles anyway," as with the house in Up!.
>>
>>50670808
I'm a sucker for naval stuff and would like to play in a naval-themed campaign, so a ship. I'm actually more into early modern ships (steam-powered as opposed to sail-driven), but the age of sail would probably make a better campaign setting unless it'd be a naval warfare campaign set during WW1 (or not-WW1, now with more elves).

Hard SF starship would be interesting too, but only if running the ship would be the main focus. If the game would be plotwise more along the lines of standard space opera it would just demonstrate why that kind of stuff is normally handwaved away for convince.
>>
>>50675674
Train is a good addition, but I neglected things like cruise ships because they fall under the same idea as an engine powered ship, like a battle ship. And the winniebago and station wagon have the problem that there's limited amounts of stuff to do for 5 people. A game with like 2-3 people in a station wagon would work because you got your driver, your navigator and a gunner, but you can't exactly run around fixing engines or systems in a station wagon.

A winnebago would be a bit better for that, but it still has the problem of having limited things you can do.
>>
>>50670808
#2, because I like near-future hard sci-fi and have spent the last few days reading up on bits of it.
>>
>>50670808
I'll take the floating island please.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.