[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOARD GAMES GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 57

File: images.jpg (15KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15KB, 225x225px
/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
>>50479293

Resources (reviewers, /tg/ groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

>Santa Is Coming Edition
Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?

How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?

What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?

Share that awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of
>>
File: Collection.png (2MB, 1579x1119px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.png
2MB, 1579x1119px
>>50557864
What do you guys think about my Collection?
New to the hobby, about 2~3 months in and this is what I have.

I thought about adding Descent 2E so I'll have some co-op games to play, and it seems like a solid one.

Any opinions on it? I read an saw a bunch of reviews and the first mission, and its ranked pretty high on BGG.
>>
>>>50546405
>>>50546569
>>>50546624

I was surprised when they featured the new Kingdom Death kickstarter in their news section. They basically called it out for not having as much cheesecake as the first one, which is basically the opposite of what I was expecting. Guess they forgot to put on their SJW pants that day.

>>50557989
bretty gud anon, might want to branch out into some other genre's though to round it out.
>>
>>50557989
Why space hulk
>>
>>50558352
>I was surprised when they featured the new Kingdom Death kickstarter in their news section. They basically called it out for not having as much cheesecake as the first one, which is basically the opposite of what I was expecting. Guess they forgot to put on their SJW pants that day.
They also called Conan out, not for the females being almost nude, but because they are so few and aside from Belkis not very powerful.
I think they may be moderating in their old age.
>>
>>50558352
>Branch out
Euro's dont appeal to me nor my group, I thought about getting Lords of waterdeep even though im not a fan of the genre if the guys are willing to play it, but its just to slow and boring.

Descent is my try at different type of game, more strategic, co-op / 1 vs all.

>>50558426
Solo / co-op, cheap with great reviews, great theme and it just looks pretty dang good, why not?
>>
>>50558426
Because fuck yeah SPACE HULK!
Spess Muhreens in tactical dreadnought armour fighting dirty xenos on gynormous derelict spaceships!
If you don't read that and get a raging erection, then you're sad and the Emperor of Mankind has no use for you.
>>
> Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?
In my neck of the woods we give/get presents today. And yeah bought myself Terra Mystica and Lords of Xidit.
> How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
I'm planing to bring Codenames and maybe a 1v1 game to play with my brother
>>
Has anyone played 7 Ronin?
>>
>>50558352
They're in the process of playing KD:M for a review apparently, going by their twitter.
>>
>>50558583
He means why don't you have the board game instead of the little girly-man card game
>>
>>50558583
when people talk about space hulk, what version do they mean ?
>>
>>50558459
>not very powerful women in Conan
Some people didn't play the game right then, the two Beliths and Valeria are very powerful and second to none but Conan in terms of pure fighting ability (which makes sense). They can't defend for shit though.
>>
Reposting the question about team games from the previous thread.

> What are the best games that create competing teams. 2v2, 3v3, 2v2v2, whatever. Games where you get a partner or partners you're working with against an equal opposing team.

Any other games you guys know? I'm especially interested in complicated team games (where each player manages his army and economy) and team games with multiple roles (like Captain Sonar, or a strategy game where one player is responsible for strategy, one for tactics and one for logistics).

Games with politics and backstabbing don't count.

Games:
> Cyclades
2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2. Symmetric roles.
> StarCraft
Team play variant. Symmetric roles (differen races)
> Captain Sonar
team vs team, different roles
> Code Names
team vs team, party game
> Lost valley
2vs2, 3vs3, and 2vs2vs2
> Sails of Glory
technically works with literally any count
> Quartermaster General
Team vs team, n vs m | 1 >= n >= m >= 3

Too lazy to check the counts/verify
> 1775: rebellion
> Arena of the Planeswalkers
> Heroscape
>>
>>50558810
Because I am not sure I like the game enough to spend that amount of money on a game I never played before?

The card game gives you a nice taste for as little as 15$.

Going back to my first question, anyone can recommend Descent to a group of new players as a first co-op / 1 vs all game?
>>
File: pic2754323_md.jpg (99KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic2754323_md.jpg
99KB, 500x500px
So I just found out about this thing. It looks cool and might attract some people I know who are more interested in videogames.

I haven't played Rum & Bones though. Do you think it might replace it as the essential moba-type game?

It goes up to 9 players (11 with the expansion), so that's a big plus for our group which tends to vary between 5-9 players.

Also, I guess we could add these games to this list: >>50559206
>>
>>50557989
D2 is nice, but core box limit your choices pretty severely.
With RTL app and delve it has become our favourite dungeon crawler.

But rules written by some asshole, and from mechanical standpoint swia is much better game, in my opinion.
>>
>>50557864
I've been put in charge of bringing games to our office holiday party (no alcohol).
So far my list consists of:
Cash 'n Guns
Codenames
Codenames Pictures
Timeline

Is there anything else you can think of? Keep in mind these are super non-gamers with the closest group being six people who religiously play bananagrams every day (which I hate).
>>
>>50561022
set
>>
>>50561022
Spyfall
DIxit
Cards against humanity (as much as I hate this game, normies seem to love it)
>>
>>50561022
Crossing plays up to 6 and is very simple, quick to play so you can switch groups frequently, and a fun little game of grabbing gems before others do (it's all social/push your luck, not a reflex game) or stealing them from opponents before they stash them.

I think agility games can work well at parties. Tumblin' Dice is simple but requires skill and can accommodate a good number of players if you play in teams.

For more thinky people, Concept and Imagine are based on trying to make people guess a concept or phrase using icons and basic images and can easily be played without keeping track of points for as long as you like.

Of course Werewolf always does well with large groups of casuals as well, if you don't mind being the narrator (or whatever they call the GM).
>>
Is abaddon any good? They have a good deal for it on kickstarter. $40 for both the base game and the expansion. I've been craving mechs lately too.
>>
>>50561022
Bang! Dice, Resistance or Secret Hitler, Las Vegas, Sushi Go, Skull, Telestrations, Say Anything
>>
File: Tann.jpg (1MB, 2362x2362px) Image search: [Google]
Tann.jpg
1MB, 2362x2362px
>>50557864
>Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift - or receiving?
Recieving this year, taking a break from giving games for once.

>How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
Some, they're pretty casual though. Mostly friends.

>What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?
With all the extra time off and weather keeping people indoors more, holidays are ideal Twilight Imperium time.

>>50553515
Tannhauser, if you can find it.

>>50561022
If there's a load of people Two Rooms and a Boom is a fantastic workplace game.
Mafia de Cuba if there's less than a dozen.
>>
>>50560950
? I + .

?
>>
>>50560950
I was sure the core box + app provided hours of gameplay, bow are they limiting?

Also whats swia?
>>
>>50561068
Never heard it. Looks interesting.

>>50561209
>Spyfall
Nah
>Dixit
Possibly
>CAH
Not at work, no.

>>50561671
>Crossing and Tumblin' Dice
Local store doesn't have it
>Concept
That's a good one!
>Werewolf
Completely forgot about this one. It's on the list.

>>50562011
Problem with Two Rooms and a Boom is I work in a hospital, and security doesn't appreciate talk of bombs and terrorists...
>>
>>50562213
>Problem with Two Rooms and a Boom is I work in a hospital, and security doesn't appreciate talk of bombs and terrorists...
Oh god, the sheer potential for shenanigans is beyond belief.
Anon, you have a mission.
>>
>>50557864
These are all the same questions from two threads ago, aren't they?
>>50558577
>>50557989
>No euros
I like CE and CC but eventually I'd get tired of all the yelling. Lords of Waterdeep is not necessarily the best euro you can buy. Something like Dominion or Catan might suit you better
>>50559206
>Lost Valley team play
I guess you could theoretically do it but you'll be severely disappointed by the lack of actual teamwork involved
>1775
It's an equal number of players per team iirc but with asymmetric powers. If you're ok with that you should really check out COIN games
>>50560729
It WILL be shit
>11 players
Run and don't look back
>>50562178
Star Wars Imperial Assault
>>
>>50562503
>It WILL be shit

I think I'll enjoy it based on some gameplay videos I've seen. My group won't care that much anyway, they enjoy anything between CaH and TI3.

>Run and don't look back

I see no correlation between high player count and quality in thematic boardgames, please enlighten me!
>>
>>50563339
I believe it's not about the gameplay, but the downtime. If 11 people are around the table and the game isn't lightning fast, people won't be engaged in the game between their turns.
11 tickets to Boredom city.
>>
>>50562503
What are the characteristics of COIN games?
>>
>>50563799
Card-driven action mechanics, loads of asymmetry in both player goals and mechanics, but less hidden information than you'd expect form the theme.
>>
>>50563520

It's middleweight and has simultaneous action selection. The AP won't be much of a problem once we're familiar with the rules. The box says 1-2 hours though so I sure AM concerned about how engaging it actually is.

Rum & Bones seems to solve this issue with dynamic gameplay and less players, which is mostly why I consider it an alternative.
>>
>>50563904
>Card-driven action mechanics, loads of asymmetry in both player goals and mechanics

Ah so it's not strictly a team vs team game?
>>
>>50563799
>What are the characteristics of COIN games?
Lots of asymmetry should be expected, the FBI or other alphabet soup agency might be involved as well. Expect to be kept occupated for a long time.
>>
>>50564107
Not as such, some of them have factions with goals that align in some areas, but that cooperation is virtually never 100%, such as between the Coalition and Interim government in A distant Plain.
>>
>>50564533
Ok thanks, not really my cuppa then. Trying to get out of games with politics.
>>
>>50559350
Descent's a decent choice, if you don't like the 1 vs all you can try the app that makes it co-op. If you still don't like it it resells pretty well.
>>
>>50565622
Thanks man, last questions about Descent
How long is the game?
If I run a campaign, how long is it from start to finish (playing with 4 heroes and an overlord), how long is the app campaign, and do you need to keep playing with the same people or do you just reset it.
>>
File: IMG_0413.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0413.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50557864
Nox was literally fifty cents
I think I got gypped
>>
Do you shop at your FLGS? What percent of your games are bought online at this point?
>>
>>50567130
Almost all my games come from online, my FLGS is filled with autismos so I have two groups I formed on my own.
>>
>>50567130
90-95%
The other 5-10% is Barnes and Noble and Target
Fuck my local they don't support board games and most of their dusty shit has been sitting on the shelf 3+ years now
>>
>>50567130
My FLGS isn't bad. They give a default 15% off retail price and have some nice sales every so often along with a decent selection that includes some very oddball things you wouldn't expect. Like any game store though, MtG rules their play area. I understand they don't have infinite space and these guys bring in the money on the spot with minimal investment needed, but I have never gone there outside of the morning and seen an opportunity to play a boardgame.
>>
>>50567130

Closest FGS is not L. 95% of my games have been online buys, and I've only bought a few when I'm on a trip.
>>
What's a good game for under $20? It's for a secret santa gift.
>>
>>50567130
I've only bought one game at my local game store, and 3 at Barnes and Nobles.
The prices never come close to online, the selection is an afterthought, and MTG dominates the store anyways.
>>
>>50569014
Rhino hero if they have kids, No Thanks if they dont
>>
>>50569226
His kids are 3 and 1
>>
>>50569271
It's never too early to start breeding an addic- erm , hobbyist
>>
>>50569836
The games recommended look good. I hope he has time to play games...
>>
>>50571206
>Time
>2 kids
Hahaha you silly anon.
>>
>>50567130

No, but I play tons of games there since I'm one of the few fa/tg/uys around social enough to talk to casual customers and teach people how to play the boardgames without undermining people and trying too hard.
>>
>>50571275
Can confirm. Best thing about babysitting as an uncle is that I can rev up my 3 nephews with sugar and theobromine and then send em off in the evening to my brother. Sweet revenge, bro. Literally.
>>
>>50561022

Ticket to Ride is a classic.
>>
>>50567130
I'm new to the boardgame scene so I just go into the actual store and talk with the owner and get ideas on what to buy that I could play with some friends. I would rather pay a little more and support a local seller than spend it online from a big chain store for a little less money. There are a lot of local game stores in my area that I didn't even know existed (I have several small towns within an hours drive from me that have 1-3 stores in them and they are open until 11pm when every other store closes at 5pm because they are 'Christian')

The problem is I don't have the time to regularly go in and play games with people even though I would like to. Only 2 of the closer stores to me offer MTG on every night but that doesn't interest me. I'm more of a casual board gamer.
>>
What are some good board games that can be done solo?

Any interesting dungeon-crawlers? Saw Fireteam Zero this weekend and it looked neat.
>>
>>50562178
Yes, but same monsters with same map tiles, items, classes.

Star wars: imperial assault.
>>
>>50571825
Shadows of Brimstone is worth a look, heard it recommended several times for solo play.
>>
When is Twilight Struggle's 2016 reprint going to be released? And what is the difference in the "deluxe" version versus whatever else exists?

I really want to get this game for < $40, but I'd also like to get the latest stuff.

I guess my biggest problem will be finding someone else willing to go through it with me at first.
>>
>>50567130
All of my lgs's are MTG: the store and sometimes they have a copy of Munchkin for 30$
>>
File: Cult Of The New.jpg (161KB, 1061x827px) Image search: [Google]
Cult Of The New.jpg
161KB, 1061x827px
>Top 10 boardgames
>Half of them are from the last 2 years

Have games gotten really good or has the cult of the new become this toxic?
>>
Has anyone played the new edition of Runebound, how's it hold up? I always like 2nd Edition but never managed to snag a copy of it for a reasonable price, not to mention all the expansions were even harder to get a hold of.
>>
>>50573374
there are a lot of OOP games near the top, so that makes up for it
>>
>>50573374
>Star Wars Rebellion

Is it even that good? Seems like glorified Risk.
>>
>>50573407
They are different. IMO its hit or miss, and really depends on personal tastes. Played second edition last week, after purchasing it... It was tedious grindy dicefest, sold it asap, and bought third edition. And it feels much better for me. Streamlined gameplay, new tactical combat instead of throwing dice while somebody dies... New character building system is great addition too. Some players dislike fact, that 3ed come with timer integrated into gameplay, so it may feel more like race game.
Also PvP aspect has been removed almost completely. There is expansion box, that resolves in ffa battle royal between heroes, and one hero can challenge each other hero to combat once. death in 3ed has much smaller repercussions.

But I think, that 3 ed is improvement over 2 ed.

P.s. 3ed map is beautiful
>>
>>50573682
>3ed come with timer integrated into gameplay
How so?

Also I never really saw much pvp happen the times I played 2nd, but I imagine someone will homebrew some rules or they'll spit out a full expansion on pvp. I do like the way they're handling the smaller, focused expansions.
>>
>>50573477
I can say it's drastically different from Risk or most games in general. A massively un-talked about gem of the year, but it is a long and heavy game that's only 2 players. 4 player mode is the biggest joke of a mode.

Area control and combat are elements but a lot of the game is decided by a hand of missions you tell people to go on in sectors and other players can send their heroes to disrupt those missions or just work on missions of their own. In a strait up fight the Empire has way more power and production, but the Rebels win by keeping their secret base hidden and protected and are more focused on completing objectives to shorten the clock.
>>
>giving
going to dump my copies of Love Letter, Sushi Go and Cave Troll onto my niece this year

>receiving
the best gift I can ask for is to get my PnP copy of Skirmish Wars: Colonize completed, massively grateful for my Saturday group helping out for getting enough for 2P done

>group during the holidays
no idea

>play with relatives
I could pull the interest of the youngins, oldfags won't care though

>prefer playing on the holidays
I'm really hoping I receive Cave Evil: Warcults and Zimby Mojo before Christmas because those are my most hyped games for the current Gregorian calendar year

>how's not going to work this year?
I haven't taken more than a week off in four years, I'm actually pretty pumped

>>50559206
Duel of Ages II should fit the bill pretty well and can work with uneven player numbers if people are willing to manage more characters, has enough strategy and management involved to be considered complicated (highly variable character powers and stats, characters relying on using ranged weapons which need to be picked up and most likely traded) and also scales up to 8 players, 16 with the expansion. I believe it's currently OOP (pretty sure the Master Set is and boy is that an expansion and a half) but I imagine there will be another print run sometime this decade as the designer is working on another expansion

>>50567130
friend of mine runs a LGS so I get everything I can from him, but being in 'Straya means that most stuff I want will never get distributed here
>>
>>50567130
Both my FLGSs have had huge price hikes because lolcanadianeconomy. It's cheaper to buy online or even from Chapters/Indigo. I just picked up the Harry Potter deck building game for someone at Chapters for $20 cheaper than either FLGS.
>>
>>50557864
Planning to give my brother Unusual Suspects. We have this dumb joke at conventions where we play Guess Who but don't describe at all how they look, and we have to make definite yes-no answers. Hearing that they made a game around that joke sounds entertaining, or at the very least should provide new faces to use.
>How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
Thanksgiving was a disaster in that I didn't even get a chance to pull them out but I hope to recover. Bringing Cash n Guns, Ticket to Ride, and Codenames again. I might only play 1 but the options are there.
>Share that awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of
My parents have had us play Phase 10 a lot as kids. My sister will play anything, my brother used to be pretty ignorant of what good design was, but I always knew even before getting introduced to stuff past mass market shit that Phase 10 was terrible. I sucked it up for so many years, this christmas is my time for revenge.

>>50561209
I feel like Spyfall is the kinda game you wanna play with the improv crowd, the drama class kids and the roleplayers. It puts a lot of pressure on you to come up with something quick, otherwise the game falls flat pretty quick.
>>
>>50569014
Coup, Sushi Go, Love Letter, the list goes on forever
>>
>possess Bang! with HN, FoC and VoS
>Dodge City not edited anymore
>not a single flaming copy in my language (frog speak) on the whole internet
At this rate, I'm gonna have to sell my copy and get The Bullet. Pains me not being able to keep the small boards and the small bullets.
>>
File: pic775504_md.jpg (80KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic775504_md.jpg
80KB, 350x500px
Just picked up pic related today after playtesting it in my FLGS.

Anyone got any experience with the game or interesting stories?
>>
It is time.
>>
File: rb001.jpg (257KB, 1232x820px) Image search: [Google]
rb001.jpg
257KB, 1232x820px
>>50573724
There is time tracker on the game board. It has three types of spaces (I think): empty, story and adventure tokens update. Usually game takes two full tracks and in second act fight adventures become little harder, so 12 + 12 turns to complete scenario objective.
Tokens are refreshed each sixth turn, story cards drawn each third.

About PvP, I think, that it's easy to home rule it into the game if players want to fight

Also, o forget another issue, that some players have with the game: it still has almost no interaction between players outside of combat, so some find, that best experience is to play it as duel game.
>>
>>50557864
Whoever it is that keeps shilling the Valley of Kings Deckvuilding Gsme, thank you
>>
Hey, /vr/gin here.

Does /bgg/ have any good links to resources on board game design? My roommates and I came up with some interesting concepts over drinks the other night, and I was hoping to find some good reading on the finer points of design.
>>
>>50575286
Someone posted a book last thread. A book's name, rather. Check out if you can find it here >>50479293
>>
>>50575286
There's a boardgame design general up intermittently, try the archive too
>>
File: 1480255110302.jpg (97KB, 800x606px) Image search: [Google]
1480255110302.jpg
97KB, 800x606px
>>50575366
>>50575378
Thanks guys!
>>
>>50571366
Sugar really doesn't work as a stimulant it's effect on children are mostly due to adults expecting the children to be stimulated by sugar.

Try caffeine and amphetamines.
>>
>>50573374
Arguably, the only new games on that list are SW: Rebellion and Scythe.

Pandemic and 7 Wonders Duel are remakes, Through the Ages is a second edition to a very well received game,
>>
>>50574097
>Duel of Ages II
Thanks man, added to the list.
>>
>>50575286
I'm reading through The Characteristics of Games by George Skaff Elias, Karl Robert Gutschera, and Richard Garfield totally worth the read (even if you're more interested in playing/analyzing games not game design).

The Design of Everyday Things (it's the UX bible)

Things I haven't read but are supposedly good (may be computer game centric)
A Theory of Fun
The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses
>>
design is fucking hard

>>50511837

the idea is there but i cant get past the basic of what i want and actually make a rule set that works with it
>>
File: characteristics-of-games.jpg (26KB, 510x648px) Image search: [Google]
characteristics-of-games.jpg
26KB, 510x648px
>>50575542
Forgot to add the image ( ._.)
>>
>>50575286
>>50575366
>>50575626
This was it! /v(isito)r/ is still around perhaps?
>>
Is 4chan kill?
>>
>>50575444
Sugar rush is pretty real man, as is the crash afterwards.
>>
>>50575771
http://www.yalescientific.org/2010/09/mythbusters-does-sugar-really-make-children-hyper/
>>
>>50575795
Whussat? Sye-inse? Nah boy, we ain't 'bout to start believin' in no goshdarn mumbo-jumbo 'round this here parts. Now git with yer fancy big words.
>>
File: your-science.jpg (176KB, 785x1000px) Image search: [Google]
your-science.jpg
176KB, 785x1000px
>>50576507
>>
>>50575086
No prob senpai, although I think there's more than one if us. I finally got a play in of the 3rd game, might just be my favourite out of all 3 now.
>>
>>50557864
>Do you plan giving someone a board game as a christmas gift
No, but my brother had his birthday recently and I got him the Kingdom Builder Big Box.
>or receiving?
Dominion and Terry Mystica are on my wishlist. Also expecting the Scythe addon in the next few days/weeks.
>>
>>50578757
*Terra
>>
>>50573154
bump
>>
Amazon has some board games on sale today
>>
>>50573154
I believe what GMT means by "deluxe" is that the overall quality of the components is better.
The map is mounted (as in a proper board, not just paper sheets), and the cards and chits are thicker with a more durable finish.
>>
>>50567130
When I shop online it's usually at the closest FGS (1.5-hour drive and I don't have a car), but I rarely get to visit in person. Probably half my games came from Kickstarter. There's a couple I got from a local store while there was one, or from the toy store, which does have a couple shelves for modern games.
>>
how is mega civ?

my lgs is hosting a 18 player game with a 15 euro entree with prices.
>>
>>50567130
All of the ones I buy for myself come from the LGS. I've luckily got nice shops 15 minutes by foot from my place for the last 6 years despite moving frequently.

If I'm giving them to someone far away, I'll just get some online shop to take care of shipping those.
>>
>>50580908
That sounds awesome, DO IT
I've looked for Mega Civ games open to players near me but came up empty handed, and I can't justify the purchase of the game myself

It's a long game, it's possible to get completely fucked over early, and I wouldn't want to play it with autistic asshats, but in terms of having a unique gaming experience there's no comparison
>>50579741
Yep! Got Unusual Suspects
>>
>>50579741
Is that Dominion + Intrigue big box worth it?
>>
>>50582158
are all 18 races at the same strength?

i am not sure how it works, i only played normal civ where you have a modular board instead of a static board.
>>
>>50582319
No, Black races get -4 INT, Asians get -4 STR, brown races get -4 CHA, and white races get -4 END.
>>
File: 1474582365469.jpg (142KB, 610x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474582365469.jpg
142KB, 610x900px
>>50558973
Commander Belit I found a little underwhelming in scenarios where she doesn't have her bodyguards, but Valeria and Red Sonja are fucking beasts. Red Sonja in particular is pretty nasty, given she can run through enemies, hits hard, and is decent at safe cracking.
>>
>>50582319
Absolutely not, some starting positions are way worse than others. This is supposedly balanced out by AST ordering and maybe starting tech? (I haven't read the rules in months) but it's not a perfect solution. Negotiating good trades and allying against a strong neighbor is a key part of the game. There's at least one guide out there that gives a few pointers on how to play each civ. I'd at the very least read the rules beforehand, skim the tech tree, and look at the reqs on each column of the AST
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 639x624px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 639x624px
So what's the general opinion on Mythic Battles: Pantheon? I just kickstarted it because I wanted the minis and more boards for Conan. I haven't even taken a look at the rules of the game.
>>
>>50579952
Are there any editions fancier than that? I'm hoping to get it soon.
>>
>>50558614
Seems interesting. Have you?
>>
>>50584679
I went for the all-in Typhon bundle and pledged $498. The game looks great. Incredibly well designed combat mechanics and abilities. To me this is finally that perfect skirmish/fighting game I've been wanting for years. The quality of the minis is also fantastic.

If you wanna know how to play check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQR6oFpp4U
>>
File: gloomhaven.jpg (358KB, 1024x731px) Image search: [Google]
gloomhaven.jpg
358KB, 1024x731px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBO4m2Hmy5o

Is this overkill?
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 639x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 639x514px
>>50585444
Thanks. That's a pretty long video. I will have to take a look at it tomorrow.
>>
>>50585598
Damn, I didn't expect this game to be so large.
>>
>>50585598
I'm impressed with the size of the box, but it's still a Legacy game so I have no interest in that meme
>>
>>50586946
A legacy game that will have reset kits available for purchase.
>>
>>50584871
Nope, not unless you make your own fancy custom produced redesign or something,
The components from 3d ed deluxe are the best GMT will offer.
>>
>>50587491
Really? How will those work?
>>
Buying gifts for my niece and nephew. Sister says that my niece (9, and a tomboy) is really into board games. What would be something decent to pick up for her? Lookin at around 50$, preferably less, but a little over wont kill me.
>>
>>50587664
How old is the boy? Will they be playing together? Will their parents play with them? Any idea if she prefers any particular theme or what games she's played already (roll and move, bluffing, strategy, dexterity games)? Are they particularly clever for their age?
>>
>>50587644
Thanks, and does anyone know when the 2016 reprint is actually going to be released? How do I find this stuff out?
>>
>>50587808
Her brother is 12, and into clothes. Though I think he'd play with her. She digs star wars and adventure time.
>>
File: 1408810635002.jpg (64KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1408810635002.jpg
64KB, 500x400px
For this Christmas season, a cousin of mine has asked for recommendations to buy games for a friend of his. He asked me because I have some experience with the tabletop, but I'm no expert.

What games would you recommend to introduce normies to the wonderful world of tabletop? I'm talking people who could name chutes and ladders, candyland, monopoly, sorry, Risk, but not much else, and also haven't played any of them in quite some time.

I've got a short list of games I'm familiar with that don't take too long and are easy to pick up, but I was hoping you all could help expand and critique my list.

I should mention I don't know the exact age of the target audience, but late 20s early 30s is a solid guess. And when I say normies, I mean like, sports fans, Michael Bay fans, spend an afternoon sipping beer on the beach (because florida). Super normal. They're not unfamiliar with some Shonen anime, star wars, and my generation of cousins (the <24 crowd, it's a big family) are the ones bringing their attention to geekdom.

>Settlers of Catan

Mostly just because it's absurdly popular with oodles of support, praise, guides etc. online.

And mentioning that the Packers' entire offensive line loves the game is a pretty good endorsement.

>Flux (cthulu)

Another one I like for mechanic simplicity, a fun theme normies might be familiar with (I'm aware lovecraft isn't exactly mainstream, but everyone at least knows Cthulhu), ease of transport, short play time, and enough variety to keep from being stale for a while. It might be a bit hard to wrap one's mind around the basic concept at first, and it gets terribly slow with more than a few players, but this seems like a good into game of 100% cards to me.

>secret hitler

It's one I haven't personally played. I've done classic resistance, and that's about it. This is another one though I think could draw them in with the theme to start on the genre.
>>
>>50588039
>He likes clothes
>She likes Star Wars

How Progressive™!
>>
>>50588110
We are in SoCal.
>>
>>50588047
>Secret Hitler

Unfortunately I live in an area where almost everyone around me would be unironically triggered by the title thanks to the last election.
>>
>>50588047

Continuing:

>Cards Against Humanity

Classic party game. Easy to pick up, super simple, goes as long as you please, inherently social. I don't know how well they'd like the 'refuge in vulgarity' aspect of it though. Might be a hit, might not. Doesn't really segue into anything else I know of, but at the end of the day if they have fun with it then it's a win.

>Zombicide

Not terribly complicated, but it's a big box and a lot of pieces, and has the potential to go for a long while. I'm probably not going to recommend this one, but at this point I'm just trying to think of the games I've played that might appeal to the uninitiated, and zombie slaughter has been popular for decades.
>>
File: 1409426411914.png (107KB, 350x272px) Image search: [Google]
1409426411914.png
107KB, 350x272px
>>50588148

I don't know the political affiliation of the audience either, but almost certainly at least one voted for Trump, so that's prooooooooobably not a problem.

Do you know another game in a similar vein that you might recommend? I'm open to suggestions. Tis the reason I'm here after all.
>>
File: 1368741323970.jpg (6KB, 200x160px) Image search: [Google]
1368741323970.jpg
6KB, 200x160px
>>
>>50588047
obligatory Codenames mention, that game works too well

other solid options are Skull, One Night Ultimate Werewolf (though that really depends on how well they can do basic roleplaying), Sushi Go! (normal or Party is fine) and Love Letter

if you want to go a bit deeper, look into 7 Wonders, Mysterium, Pandemic (normal or Cthulhu) and Flash Point: Fire Rescue, maybe Wiz-War and DungeonQuest as well
>>
>>50584679
>"""100% genuine,""" totally not AstroTurf™ poster says he bought that shitty ks with zero research for some reason and now he wants someone in the thread to validate his purchase
>Somehow this guy missed entire threads of self-promotion at the hands of the publisher
>This post >>50585444 gives him a perfectly crafted response that touches on all the marketing points and even links a vid because he's just a loveable superfan!
>Other anon shows his thanks with another PR-approved product photo

I don't doubt that most of your backers punched in their cards before doing an ounce of research (your audience is clearly dumb as bricks), but I'd appreciate it if you fuck off with the self-promotion
>>
File: 1440478571517.png (255KB, 432x426px) Image search: [Google]
1440478571517.png
255KB, 432x426px
>>50588382

Ancient Terrible Things, Would that be a good one?
>>
>>50587645
As I understand, it stickers to cover over those placed on the map, and an additional set of the stickers found in the base game.

The only way to experience all the content in the game is to play it multiple times. A good portion of the legacy aspect in the game is the fact that there are branching quest lines where once you take one path, the other is lost.
>>
>>50589001
don't know, I don't own any Cthulhu games nor have I played that, I've only played a friend's copy of Pandemic Cthulhu and another friend's copy of Eldritch Horror, that theme along with zombies are too boring for me to maintain interest
>>
>>50585192
No, but I like the hidden setup idea. Kinda reminds me of the good old days of Battleships.
>>
>>50590097

I appreciate the input. Thanks
>>
>>50559350
Try Castle Ravenloft.
>>
>>50589384
>more stickers
>stickers over stickers
>eventually nothing but undulating mounds of stickers

Truly we have reached a new phase of boardgame evolution.
>>
>>50591679
Several generations down the line, the board has become the perfect mountain terrain for a green army men wargame.
>>
File: pic2262580[1].png (1MB, 700x907px) Image search: [Google]
pic2262580[1].png
1MB, 700x907px
Finally got to play a good deal of Baseball Highlights. 6 times in the past month. Might just be my love of the sport because I did notice my brother was the most into it and he's the most into baseball of my friends, but I kinda really love this game. Its gone over really well with most people and I usually am super meh with deckbuilders.
>>
>>50592326
>my brother
>my friend
Aw, that's sweet.
>>
Anyone here get their hands on scythe? Bren looking to pick it up when it becomes available. How does it play? Fast? Good for some people who aren't big on lots of rules?
>>
>>50589000
>trips wasted on an autist

Sad!
>>
>>50594777
>trips wasted on an autist

Sad!
>>
>>50594777
>He's still posting about digits
Grow up
>>
>>50594819
>>50594950
>things singles say
>relevant

kys
>>
File: collection.png (955KB, 1752x601px) Image search: [Google]
collection.png
955KB, 1752x601px
Just got Terra Mystica (still waiting for the Expansion) and Lords of Xidit.

R8 my collection? (Not pictured: expansions to CitOW, Imperial Settlers, Kemet, StarCraft)
>>
So, I'm deciding on what game I want to get next, I'm torn between Inis and Kemet. Has anyone played both, what would you recommend between the two?
>>
>>50595410
Pretty good, even the ones I don't like are fairly solid picks objectively.

>>50595812
Of the two, kemet is much more aggressive and conflict-oriented, which I love. Inis is more of a puzzle, which I also love - just not quite as much. I consider Kemet the more indespensible of the two, but Inis is no slouch. The right answer is BOTH.
>>
Can someone recommend me a game? It should be something like this:
>2-5+ players
>interesting, cool theme (While I also enjoy pushing around little cubes for two hours, here I want to feel like I'm doing something fun)
>allows for lots of player interaction, but doesn't force everyone to kill each other

So far I have Cosmic Encounter, but we've played that one so much we need something else
>>
>>50594741
The game is middle weight and about 2 hours, but the indents on the player boards go a long way to helping explain the game to newer people. If you're looking for light n short I would have to steer you elsewhere.
>>
>>50589000
Calm down, bruh. Not everyone is out to get you or your money,
>>
Bumpflower
>>
>>50595410
Good variety/10. How is Fury of Dracula? It just got restocked everywhere and I've always been super curious about it. Was tempted to get specter ops, but someone recommended Fury of Dracula in it's place and I love the sound of the theme on that more.
>>
>>50595812
Check out All The Games You Like Are Bad's review of Inis, it's the only one I've seen which points out some of the game's glaring flaws.
>>
Any chance of Twilight Struggle going on sale before Christmas? I want it by then, but I'm trying to hold out for now.
>>
>>50596361
Scythe
Dead of winter
Carcassonne
>>
>>50600793
Just get it. It's so fucking good
>>
Playing some turn based Diplomacy on a forum, all player interaction is done via PMs. I'm not sure I like it.
>>
>>50599948
Fury of Dracula is one of those games that in my opinion the fun is very uneven.

I totally love the concept of the game and I think it has potential to be great fun. But

(note that the following will be only my opinion coming from a group of not very experienced players)

The first week is is mostly going through the motions. If Drac knows what he's doing the players rarely have a chance of knowing where he's at before turn 6 (and sometimes not even that if he uses misdirect). The only person that matters at that stage is Mina Harker and how she subdivides the map.

On the other hand the players might get lucky with the events and sometimes the Dracula player is totally shafted.

Depending on luck it sometimes seems that there's nothing that Dracula can do to stop the players from finding them OR there's nothing the players can do to stop Dracula. If he hauls ass from one part from the map leaving vampires every 3 steps there's sometimes no time to kill off all of them and keep track of him.

I doubt I'll stop playing this game soon so for me that's a recommendation!
>>
>>50600989
Only two of those games have replay value.
Hint: It's not the one that has Felicia Days expansion.
>>
>>50603213
I love skinny pale redheads tho.
>>
>>50603295
Do you like skinny red headed camels?
>>
>>50603394
Is it pale skinned? All criteria must be met.
>>
>>50600793
Not sure what prices look like right now but it tends to go OOS around the holidays before new shipments come in so it might be overpriced now/soon. Tbh I have alerts for deals and I've never seen an explicit sale for TS
>>50603144
1v1 side conversations is how it's meant to be played tho
>>
>>50604089
Right now TS is going for ~$40. I was hoping for something a little closer to $30ish.
>>
>>50606395
I paid $39.99 exactly two years ago
>>
>>50599948
I gotta say, Specter Ops feels really tense and good. There are so many ways to be evasive. It's really fun.
>>
File: Piri sad.gif (855KB, 500x620px) Image search: [Google]
Piri sad.gif
855KB, 500x620px
>>50609168
Oh no, the back and forth on which to get is beginning again. I like the theme of Dracula more but I like the MGS inspiration and less abstract style of Specter Ops more. I hear Dracula has more depth to it but can randomly become very one sided too easily, however I've heard lots of stories of Specter Ops where the hunters never see the sneaky guy the whole game.

I just want a hidden movement all against one game.
>>
>>50613112
Pssst, buy the PnP for Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space.

As a proper response though, even though I like Fury of Dracula, it kind of has a lot of bells and whistles when your turn amounts to either "move in this direction I think Dracula went" or "stock up on items". Maybe check out Letters from Whitechapel as an alternative if Specter Ops doesn't appeal to you?
>>
Played Cutthroat Caverns, Kenjin, Kemet, Enter the Dungeon, and High Noon Saloon last night. Last one was a lot less trash than I was expecting, though the production quality is pretty damn low. Rest are as great as ever.
New table surface in the mail, might get new pics up tonight if I'm not exhausted from putting up the yule tree.

>>50613112
At it's best, dracula is much more tense and stressful than specter ops. But it's much less consistent, and significantly longer. And the variable player powers are less fun.
My vote goes to specter ops, but fury is so damn cool that it's still a reluctant and slightly sad vote.
>>
File: mistfall kickstarter.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
mistfall kickstarter.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
It only took like 8 months, but kickstarter finally paid off. Can't wait to break this shit open.

Anyone ever play the first game/backed this? I never hear people talk about it despite it being a cool game.
>>
>>50614214
I remember seeing rahdo's runthrough and not being very interested. Can't remember the specifics.
>>
>Deep Madness
>too late to back
>have to spend an extra $250 to get them not including the 8 fucking thousand KS exclusives

Fuck me, I don't normally back KS shit but that game looks fun as fuck and the miniatures are 10/10 for TTRPGs.
>>
>>50615544
If you're spending that much money you might as well get on the Kingdom Death KS.
>>
Any Splendor tips for an anon playing against very experienced players?
>>
>>50615544
most of the exclusives are player characters for the game, dice, dice bags, books and scenarios

and no one was going to play it enough to warrant all that anyway
>>
>>50616125
Bring a gun.
>>
>>50616125
your greatest resource is your turn
supposedly you can beat a person racing for the bonus tiles if you only get the 1-2 point cards and then make up the difference in chips to grab 3 level 3 cards
I don't know too much about that though
>>
>>50616345
Seems doable, though the hardest part is probably finding the timing to switch to buying the 0 point cards when you get blocked. Guess I'll try that though, thanks.
>>
File: mekinda.jpg (83KB, 963x650px) Image search: [Google]
mekinda.jpg
83KB, 963x650px
Lets see 'em
https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/tabletop/
>>
>>50618014
>1. What is your gender
>Other (please specify)

Nope. Fuck right off.
>>
>>50618143
Well, it's a very convenient option to let them know that whoever picks it is not statistically relevant.
>>
File: chart.png (103KB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
103KB, 1800x900px
>>50618014
Only thing I really felt strongly about in the quiz was fuck steampunk, zombies
and fuck pirates, but slightly more gently
Could that have dinged me on immersion? If so they're fucked in the head
>>50618143
Don't be a baby
>>
File: QF.png (49KB, 731x567px) Image search: [Google]
QF.png
49KB, 731x567px
Twist of the goddamn century right here.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (20KB, 497x372px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
20KB, 497x372px
>>
>>50618808
Eurogamer identified
MISSILE LOCK ESTABLISHED
>>
File: chart.png (99KB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
99KB, 1800x900px
>>50618014
Strategy with a touch of conflict and fun.
>>
>>50618723
>hates fun
>aggressive and manipulative
>>
The only real board games that I've played have been Catan and Axis & Allies. Chess and Mancala if you could those.

Am I casual?
>>
File: chart.jpg (69KB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
69KB, 1800x900px
Filthy casual here, apparently.
>>
>>50618143
>current year
>not embracing the spectrum
It'll be alright, anon. You can finally be yourself regardless of antiquated societal and cultural constructs of sexual identity.
>>
>>50619099
Yep, but ignorance about modern board games keeps a lot of people from their true potential

What do you like? We'll get you some recs
>>
File: labrador.jpg (35KB, 513x385px) Image search: [Google]
labrador.jpg
35KB, 513x385px
I LOVE EVERYTHING!
>>
File: casualbitch.png (22KB, 470x307px) Image search: [Google]
casualbitch.png
22KB, 470x307px
Ouch.
>>
File: chart.png (42KB, 472x286px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
42KB, 472x286px
Seems I'll play abstracts and ugly games as long as they're meaty.
>>
>>50618014
I hate that social manipulation tends to boil down to werewolf style games in the descriptions. I despise that kinda super ham fisted forced "find the liar based off nothing" stuff Resistance and such give, but I fuckin love social manipulation in the Cosmic Encounter/Diplomacy style sense where you're creating lies with some kinda actual grounding as part of a real game.
>>
>>50619213
I like strategy games. A game where a player's skill matters more than what turns up on the dice.
>>
>>50620195
Knowing nothing else, first instinct is Kemet.
>>
>>50620195
Agricola is a good start.
>>
File: wannafightbgg.png (20KB, 507x392px) Image search: [Google]
wannafightbgg.png
20KB, 507x392px
fite meh.
>>
File: is it porn.jpg (38KB, 800x394px) Image search: [Google]
is it porn.jpg
38KB, 800x394px
>>50620331
What's it about?

>>50620594
This too.
>>
>>50621412
Mythic ancient egyptian conflicy on the nile delta.
Fast(ish), vicious, and clever. Very strong player agency. Easy to teach, easy to learn, easy to be decisive in if you're just a little clever. Fantastic expansion available when you start getting pissed off at the initiative system after twenty or thirty plays.
>>
Had a great time with this game at a friend's place, and wanted to get the game for myself. However, I really don't like double-dipping on the same board game, if I'm just going to be playing with his whenever we hang out anyways.

Any suggestions on similar games like Tales of the Arabian Nights?

I'm kind of looking for one with a similar "choose-your-own-adventure" style of gameplay, maybe even having a big book of potential scenarios you can run in to.
>>
>>50621740
Only other games with the big book of paragraphs are Agents of SMERSH, which I believe is cooperative, and Above and Below, which has the backbone of a eurogame. Dead of Winter has a deck of event cards which only goes off when you trigger it. There are other games with scenarios and story-heavy gameplay but the one I recommend most is Mansions of Madness Second Edition, which requires an app to play.
>>
>>50621412
17th century farming simulator. Players fight over resources while they expand their farms and figure out how to feed their families. It's classic, and shouldn't be hard to find.
>>
>>50620195
Terra Mystica. Very colorful and very deep.
>>
File: 51489550.jpg (806KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
51489550.jpg
806KB, 3000x3000px
Just picked this up, lads. What am I in for?
>>
>>50623910
arguments over which edition rules to play with
>>
>>50623953
There's different versions of the rules? Elaborate.
>>
I really like the Dice Tower's Top 10 lists when Zee, Tom, and Sam are all there.

I think their solo reviews are okay but I can find better reviews elsewhere.

Is there anything else from their channel worth watching?
>>
>>50623990
Yep. Can't remember what they are but they fundamentally changed the rules from the original in the anniversary edition. I and one other guy had never played the original but other players had. We overruled them
>>
>>50623910
Reverse Cluedo basically.
>>
About in an hour I'll be playing Russia in a three player game of Churchill. Any last moment tips in case the UK and US decide to be asses and shut down my eastern front advance?
>>
File: chart.jpg (69KB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
69KB, 1800x900px
>>50618014

I'm not terribly picky, and did a lot of "neutral" responses, but still, the tendencies are pretty clear. I like thinky games with unique mechanics and beautiful art. I mean, the beautiful art isn't strictly necessary, but it's always great when you get a game beautifully illustrated on watercolors like Evolution, rather than drab browns and greens.
>>
anyone try the new arkham horror card game?
I'm wondering if it's worth it if I already have eldritch horror
>>
>>50627434
Be aware that it's an LCG, which means to get the most out of it you need to keep up with expansions for new cards or scenarios. If you're looking for the full experience with a single purchase, stay away. With that said, while I can't draw a comparison with previous titles, it has a few neat mechanics and the scenarios are a lot more focused compared to Eldritch that owning both wouldn't be a problem. The default core set decks are a bit random since the cards are mostly 1-ofs though, so there's that.
>>
anyone played nippon? have any thoughts?
>>
>>50632091
Worth a try, not to buy. First / maybe second game is nice. Gets a bit rote and stale after that.
>>
Game of Thrones: Hand of The King for my brothers. They're huge GoT fans, and they're pretty casual when it comes to gaming.
How's your gaming group during the holidays - do you play with your relatives?
We have meetups - there's a charity one tomorrow at a FLGS that I'm hoping to catch, but that's pretty much it (there is one more, but I've got my office Christmas party that day). Gaming with relatives is just maybe playing Gin Rummy or Uno or whatever
>What do you prefer playing on the holidays - and how's not going to work this year?
For my family, Christmas is more a time for conversation and looking at how silly our presents are than anything else, and that's fine with me. As long as everyone's happy - that's what matters.
>Share that awkward bg related experience with your family you never told anyone of
I tried playing Alhambra with my parents, but the deck was missing most of two colours. It took us a good half an hour to realise.
>>
File: boardgamestyle.png (47KB, 557x451px) Image search: [Google]
boardgamestyle.png
47KB, 557x451px
a bit late with posting, but hooray for fun conflict! immersion was lower than expected because I love thematic games, except zombie games can go die in a fire

also had Zimby Mojo arrive in the mail a week earlier than the expected delivery date, hoping I can pull it out today depending on if anyone is coming, otherwise I'll just do a solo run and also try and learn Pax Porfiriana again
>>
File: endgame.jpg (66KB, 775x375px) Image search: [Google]
endgame.jpg
66KB, 775x375px
>>50567130
I'm in SF Bay Area, and we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to FLGS's. I like to support them to encourage they continued existence and board game nights. I find I don't mind paying a little extra for that.
>>
File: CSvJt3hXIAA_tNi[1].jpg (49KB, 600x714px) Image search: [Google]
CSvJt3hXIAA_tNi[1].jpg
49KB, 600x714px
Shame bump.
>>
So I went to board game night last night. I don't go on Fridays often, but last night was the fucking worst I've ever seen. Fucking night of the cringey white 20-something nerds who quietly sit down in the corner and open their boxes, fail to introduce themselves, and when you walk over to shake their hands they look down at their feet when you shake their hands

Played Thieves' Market, which I would've liked more if not for one shitty card ability that the winning player abused to hell
>>
Hey, I have an assortment of coop and competitive games but they all require 3 or more players. Can anyone be so kind as to recommend some coop/competitive board games that can be played with just 2?
>>
>>50638651
Innovation
BattleCON
Onitama
Twilight Struggle
Patchwork

2p co-ops aren't my forte, but there are a few great co-ops that scale well from 2 to 5 like Hanabi and Mansions of Madness 2E
>>
How do I find people to play Twilight Struggle with? I don't know any history buffs but I recently got into the Cold War and this game is beautiful. I want to try it with another beginner.
>>
>>50639594
you don't need to be a history buff to enjoy it. convert a friend with enough free time that you can both get into it
>>
>>50637994
>white 20-something nerds
>white
Quinn pls go
>>
>>50640108
I think I meant to write pale
>>
File: file.png (41KB, 606x451px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
41KB, 606x451px
>>50618014
That's what you get for liking a lot of wargames and listing Twilight Imperium in most favorite games section.
>>
File: rexbanner.jpg (118KB, 709x340px) Image search: [Google]
rexbanner.jpg
118KB, 709x340px
Played Rex recently, and god, I forgot how good that game is.

There were only 4 of us, so we played with recommended races (Sol, Jol-Nar, Lazax, and Letnev). While Lazax were struggling to deploy their mechs and infantry, fishes immediately took a second fortress. After a series of minor fights, they decided to get into the alliance with elves, so humans and Lazax had no choice but to make the alliance of our own. Funnily enough, all temporary ceasefire cards were out of the game by turn 4, and Jol-Nar decided to stick to their alliance even though they could've won the game with 1 more fortress. The ensuing battles included: elves killing 15-strong Lazax army because of a traitor; elves killing 10-strong human army because of a traitor; elves taking 2 fortresses at the start of turn 5 because of bad strategic decisions.

To prevent the fish-elf alliance from winning I had to deploy a single unit to a fortress and use the pulse cannon (because I knew that elves would use a shield), thus annihilating everything in that fortress, and allowing Lazax to get it next turn. Meanwhile, fishes got themselves 3 fortresses and could've won if not for their alliance. At that point I was only hoping to drag the game and reach round 8 to take advantage of Sol victory condition, but elves moved their whole army (around 10 units) to Imperial Palace on round 7. Luckily, the traitor card I got at the start was the strongest Letnev commander, which allowed me to hold the palace for one more turn. All that remained was to survive the inevitable Jol-Nar attack.

Due to Lazax using tracking beacon to move dreadnoughts and block 10 Jol-Nar units in their fortress, I only had to deal with another 7. Last battle was nerve-wrecking for everyone. My 6 units with strength 7 commander against Jol-Nar 7 units with strength 5 commander. Nobody had any strategy cards at this point, so I had to bet all my troops, knowing full well that Jol-Nar would win the draw because of turn order.
>>
>>50641297
At the end of the day, the Imperial Palace fell silent. Corpses of both fish and men littered the floor. The fact that nobody controlled it allowed Sol to solidify their advantage, and along with Lazax support emerge victorious (how that would work in-universe considering that humans are basically bombing Lazax planet, I have no idea).

All in all, it was a great game. Will definitely play with 6 players and backstab everyone again.
>>
I played Junta yesterday... well, I played one half of Junta, as nobody wanted a coup. The half I did play was pretty fun - I got a stupid amount of Influence early on, and was made First General and Minister of Internal Security, so I managed to pull some shenanigans with assassins.
>>
>>50638651
> COOP
Mage Knight for a 2p coop.
Ghost Stories can be played by 2p, though it's a 4p gam
Robinson Crusoe is apparently fun but I haven't tried it
> 1v1
Neuroshima: Hex
M:tG
Seasons
Twilight Struggle
>>
Played some casual shit over the weekend.
Zombicide (close win), Mechs vs Minions (loss) and Forbidden Desert (win).

Getting non gamers who dislike confrontation to play anything is such a pain. I pitched Letters from Whitechapel, and a math oriented guy said he's interested.

I just wanted to play Mage Knight, CitOW or Viticulture, but their brains would've melted.
>>
File: 51NNSGJQX2L[1].jpg (35KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
51NNSGJQX2L[1].jpg
35KB, 500x300px
>>50642534
is mage knight the best of its kind ?
>>
>>50642733
The boardgame by Vlaada Chvatil, is not the same as the Heroclixy one in your pic, though I heard it was fun. Both are made by WizKids, sharing a brand gets confusing, and the games have very little in common.

As for Chvatil's game being the "best" of its kind... it is kind of a confusing Frankenstein monster of a game that stitches together a lot of different styles and mechanics, but somehow makes it work really well. So it is the "best" because there's not a lot that you can compare it to.

It is a sandbox adventure where you manage a deck of action cards to harness magic power, explore the land, battle with monsters, and cast spells. It's an inelegant, clunky and fiddly brainburner puzzle, yet very satisfying to play.
>>
>>50641326
>>50641297
Based anon, love the after action report.
Been too long since I've gotten Rex to the table.
>>
Is there anybody here that lives in the 321 area that will be at GYFO? There's a board game swap today at 1.
>>
File: U6HKKG0.png (21KB, 503x402px) Image search: [Google]
U6HKKG0.png
21KB, 503x402px
Sounds about right. I like strategy games more than it lets on, but I rarely get to play CitOW or Rex. Triumph and Tragedy will likely never be played.
>>
Hey /tg/ I've come to ask for some help, me and my mates have been playing a fair few board games via tabletop simulator recently and we're looking for something new to try, so rather than wade through mountains of shit looking for something I figured I'd ask here for recommendations on new stuff.

We mainly play co-op stuff and our most recent game has been Eldritch Horror which was a blast even though it regularly bent us over and dryfucked us till we bled, so anything like that would be a welcome recommendation.
>>
>>50644776
How many of you?
>>
>>50644935
3-6 of us but most games are usually 4 of us.
>>
>>50644776
Robinson Crusoe comes to mind if you're looking for coop despair.
>>
>>50644776
Ghost Stories for maximum assblasting
KDM for sado-masochistic voyeurism
Fire Rescue for pyromania upstanding heroes
Pandemic for coop cubepushing
Mechs vs Minions for pretty plastic
>>
>>50645026
>spoiler
I confess that watching the fire spread is probably the most fun part of that game.
>>
>>50645110
My favorite part of Galaxy Trucker is seeing my ship come apart.
>>
>>50641297
Man I wish my rex games could be so close and fun. My group plays it like risk and just mindlessly throws troops at each other so that by mid game they're all just collecting spice and waiting to do it again at the end.
>>
>>50645026
>Fire Rescue

In my group's first game ever we lost because one of the players decided to make a hole in the wall to get the victim on the other side, while the entire building was just 1 block away from collapsing.

I love this game.
>>
>>50644776
To add to the list of good suggestions, there's the FFG classic 'Gears of War' which is surprisingly good.
>>
>>50645863
Too bad it's OOP.
>>
>>50646131
They're playing in Tabletop Simulator, so that's a non-issue
>>
>>50645778
It's such a casual beginner game but I love it every time it hits the table. The way the fire spreads, the way the damage cubes seem to just disappear from the bag and reappear on the board. The struggle when we can't decide if we should focus on the victims or the flames. Really fun game.
Have you played the expansions? Some look really cool but I've never tried any of them.
>>
>>50646232
>Have you played the expansions
Sadly I haven't. I'd really like to try out the new roles (Fire Prevention Officer was in the one with flame, I think?) and get the miniatures corresponding to each role, just for the heck of it.

Though I'm not sure if any of the expansions are published in Poland.
>>
>>50646179
Guess that;s what I get for not following ths discussion,.
>>
>>50641297
I was under the impression that the Jol-Nar could have declared victor anyway if they meet the three strongholds req.
>>
>>50645110
>>50645141
And the best part of KD:M is being pulled apart by a dude you're not ready for.
Losing is fun.
>>
>>50646344
Not if they're in an alliance, then they need four.
>>
File: images(2).jpg (13KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
13KB, 253x199px
Who else /risingsun/ here?
>>
>>50646815
nyet, komrad. fill us in?
>>
>>50644999
Ghost Stories
>>
>>50647338

Spiritual successor to Blood Rage
>>
>>50647811
do they made the game more "meaty" this time?
because when I played Blood rage I found the game to be kind of simple. like very simple, not too complex.
>>
>>50646815
The more Lang I play the more I'm convinced CitOW was some kind of fluke.
>>
>>50646362
>Losing is fun.
No it isn't, I just like putting down the little black cubes and making explosion noises.
>>
>>50648464
That's good too.
>>
File: CAN'T WAKE UP.png (2MB, 1623x1673px) Image search: [Google]
CAN'T WAKE UP.png
2MB, 1623x1673px
>>50557864
New idea: post wishlists.
>>
File: bgg.png (504KB, 876x398px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.png
504KB, 876x398px
>>50650726
I have a larger list of want to play games which count as my "need to look into/think about more" games. these are the games I'm quite confident in.
>>
>>50650801
>confident in arctic scavengers
The only deck-builders I've played where the gameplay wasn't highly rote and algorithmic were Valley of Kings. Codex, and Shadowrift.
>>
File: wishlistfp.jpg (1010KB, 1526x1238px) Image search: [Google]
wishlistfp.jpg
1010KB, 1526x1238px
>>50650726
Some are in the "I really wanna have this game" category. Most are in the "that looks interesting better put it on my wishlist so I don't forget it exists" category.
>>
File: wishlist.png (4MB, 1754x2070px) Image search: [Google]
wishlist.png
4MB, 1754x2070px
>>50650726
everything in my wishlist(4) is stuff that I haven't decided whether I want to even play them or not
>>
Hey guys, last night my friends introduced me to "Conquest of Nerath". I'm assuming it's pretty popular but that was my first foray into a more serious board game and I had a ton of fun with it, however I feel like there is something better out there.

What are some of the best similar styled grand strategy board games?
>>
>>50652086
Twilight imperium is the gold standard, but there's been some hype around Virgin Queen recently.
>>
>>50652126
Thanks man
>>
>>50652126
The hype is literally just me in every thread justifying a purchase I'll probably never be able to play.
>>
>>50650913
really? people typically put arctic scavengers up there as one of the better deckbuilders. interesting that you found it formulaic. guess I'll play it in tabletop sim before making the purchase.
>>
>>50652003
From your wishlist(4) your should definitely play at least once:

High Frontier
Santorini
Quantum
Twilight Struggle
Mare Nostrum: Empires
>>
>>50652302
Successors is whole-heartedly recommended by the soaked potato on All The Games You Like Are Bad and the only misstep I've seen him make is extolling Mechs vs. Minions.
>>
>>50650726
Dude REALLY wants High Frontier
>>
>>50652302
>>50652369
sorry should have clarified better, wishlist(4) is a mix of games I'm not sure if I want to own or games that I would love to play but will probably never find a group to play it with (mainly the multiplayer Avalon Hill/GMT games and High Frontier)

Mare Nostrum certainly looks appealing, but I already have Clash of Cultures and Avalon Hill Civilization and I try to avoid having too many similar games
>>
>>50646815
Just buy Blood Rage on clearance now and buy that game on clearance 18 months from now, no need to manufacture hype for unreleased games by hit-or-miss designers
>>
FUUUCK
I've now started Castles of Burgundy the Card Game 3 times at ~1hr before closing, had to teach it which takes 30min, and as a result haven't been able to finish a SINGLE FUCKING GAME of it
We actually zoomed through the first four rounds in 15 minutes before an employee kicked us out (15min before closing...) Fuck.
I salivated over my friend's copy of Vinhos Deluxe today. Fucking huge and beautiful. We didn't get to play but you can bet your asses I'm sitting down for that mindfuck next week
>>
File: Damn right.png (258KB, 1680x940px) Image search: [Google]
Damn right.png
258KB, 1680x940px
>>50652658
>>
Recommend me your picks for solo board games that isn't Mage Knight
>>
>>50655131
space hulk death angel
>>
>>50655131
MAGE KNIGHT!
Oh, wait...
>>
>>50655131
Thunderstone
Ascension
Sentinels of the multiverse
Mistfall
Any of the oniverse games (onirim, castellion, sylvion and urbion)
Darkest Night
Forge war
Descent if you have the co-op expansions or use the app.
Hopefully millennium blades once the expansions that allows co-op against bosses comes out
>>
I just bought Zombie Dice because I wanted a dice game and it sounded like fun. Do you rec the School Bus extension? Shit's pricey but the die is glorious.
>>
>>50658241
expansion*
>>
Blood Rah or Cry havoc?

Also is Arctic scabengers a worry deck builder compared to Dominion?
>>
>>50658746
I don't like either but Blood Rage by a mile
>>
Am I the only one who didn't like Zombicide? We did like 2 games with some friends of mine and I really felt I had absolutely NO control over the game.
>Usual zombie shit. Move, shoot. You're surrounded? Heh, it happens like all the time, the game is overwhelming anyway. You're hit? You lost your only means of defending yourself, which means assured death.

Can someone explain to me what good there is in this game?
>>
>>50659398
Ask a normie, everyone here hates Zpmbiecide that I've seen
A similar game with actual mechanics is Mechs vs Minions, if you want a co-op "kill waves of mooks" game
>>
>>50659835
>Recommending Riot assfucking you
There's no way Zombicide is that bad as to be worth recommending that shitty game in it's place.
>>
>>50660309
>There's no way Zombicide is that bad
>no way

Ohhhhhhh boy.
>>
>>50660332
Even if it is somehow worse, which would be quite the accomplishment, there HAS to be something better you can recommend.
>>
>>50660376
Mage Knight.
>>
>>50660376
There really isn't
That genre of board game is composed entirely of Zombiecide and MvM
>>
>>50658746
>Also is Arctic scabengers a worry deck builder compared to Dominion?

Arctic Scavengers doesn't have the same depth as Dominion, but it also doesn't have a Gorillian expan$ion$ like Dominion does either. Personally I liked A.S. a lot more than Dominion. Dominion isn't a bad game, something about it just never clicked with me. If you're looking for a really good deck builder and don't mind a Sci-fi theme, then check out the Core Worlds series - core box, and 2 expansions. I've been very pleased by the depth and replayability of Core Worlds.
>>
>>50660449
KD:M ;^)
>>
>>50661160
My problem with Arctic Scavangers is there's really not enough card variety and combo power in the box, and most of the best utility cards that may be available are also the highest scoring cards, which really feels like it limits meaningful choices.

Icepocalypse is my favorite theme though so whatever.
>>
File: IMG_20161211_232902.jpg (4MB, 4640x3480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161211_232902.jpg
4MB, 4640x3480px
Hey /tg/, newbie here.

I've been having fun playing codenames at my friend's house for awhile and decided to get my own copy. During a party, a friend gave me the Pictures version.

Any thoughts if I should return the $22 CAD original and just keep the pictures?

Also, thoughts on exploding kittens? Played it twice and convinced it's fun.
>>
>>50662414
>Codenames
Finally there's export-worthy product of Kek Republic without alcohol content.
>>
>>50662414
>Exploding Kittens
>Fun
You might as well enjoy Munchkin and Jenga.
>>
>>50662414
Haven't played the Pictures version yet (getting it for Christmas), but I can say the word version has always been fun and a huge crowd favorite, even when I'm hanging with some non-native English speaking friends.
>>
>>50662414
you've really got to play both to know which you like more. it depends on how your brain works. personally I prefer the original, but I know a lot of people prefer pictures
>>
>>50662414
Personally like the words version better than pictures, but mixing them can still be fun, I'd keep both.

Exploding kitten is total garbage, wife only keeps our copy around to avoid offending the friend that gave it to her.
>>
>>50662405
The base game is pretty limited, I wouldn't disagree with that assessment at all. That's way I pointed out that Dominion does have more depth. That said, the A.S. 'Recon' expansion (which I haven't gotten to play very much) does add to the pool of options.
>>
>>50662473
What's wrong with Jenga? I don't like Munchkin or Exploding Kittens being a part of the façade of a game wrapped in funny words, but Jenga always seemed like the least offensive mass market game. It is what it is, a dead simple fast dexterity game.
>>
>>50662623
Heh! I played Exploding Kittens once, and have zero urge to ever play it again. Frankly I'd look forward to a good game of 'Uno' more than E.K.
>>
>>50662727
Don't tell anyone, but I like Jenga too. ;)
>>
>>50662761
jenga is legitimately fun idgaf

obviously I won't play it too frequently, but when you've got a large group of people and you're casually drinking it's perfect for that.
>>
>>50662727
Nothing is wrong with Jenga :^)
>>
File: wishlist.jpg (650KB, 2160x1620px) Image search: [Google]
wishlist.jpg
650KB, 2160x1620px
>>50650726
>>
>>50662463
>Through the Ages
>Alchemists
>Tzolk'in
>Dungeon Petz
>Galaxy Trucker
>>
>>50663083
what do i need besides the base game of galaxy trucker? are there any decent expansions for it ?
>>
>>50663083
>>50663120
I fucking love Galaxy Trucker, and I also want to know this. Any expansions worth it?
>>
File: cz550fs01.jpg (72KB, 566x365px) Image search: [Google]
cz550fs01.jpg
72KB, 566x365px
>>50662463
>ignoring CZ firearms
anon pls
>>
>>50662727
Problem is Rhino Hero is better
>>
>>50658241
>>
>>50662475
>>50662489
>>50662623
Thanks to these quality responses

I like the kitten game just because most of my friends like fucking each other over in card games.

Are there better options out there that let's people mess with other players that's along the lines of "fun" and "light" games?
>>
>>50664632
Cosmic encounter is a pretty natural suggestion, but really phenomenally dimwitted slug-head retards with downs syndrome and a couple dozen brain tumors might not consider it "light".
>>
>>50662623
> only keeps our copy around to avoid offending the friend that gave it to her.

IKTF. Fucking Cards Against Humanity.
>>
>>50663120
>>50663149
I really like having both the big expansions but I kinda special picked all the parts I like. Now I have 3 ziplock bags. Basic, advanced, and do not use. More is in the do not use than I would like, but I'll tell you when I get home what adds what and my opinions. I'm at this point not remembering what I got from where. The one in recommend as a big boost to the game though is Missions. Adds a fun risk rewards that plays into the building element rather than just another deck of fuck you in the ass cards.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4
>>
>>50665539
???
>>
NEW THREAD
>>50665738
NEW THREAD
>>50665738
NEW THREAD
>>50665738
>>
>>50665755
must mean thread's over, about to get bumped ff the board
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.