[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would playing a child sorcerer character be impossible? Been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: Where the elf bitches be at.jpg (152KB, 750x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Where the elf bitches be at.jpg
152KB, 750x1500px
Would playing a child sorcerer character be impossible? Been running by the idea of playing one to change things up a bit, but none of my friends or gamemasters can give me a straight answer on it.
>>
File: rapier.png (52KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
rapier.png
52KB, 500x501px
>>50665677
>>
Why would it be impossible?

If you're a shitty roleplayer, shitty at coming up with characters that are deeper than a simple concept (ie; he's a child), or are prone to getting into your magical realm at the table, then yes it's probably a bad idea.

If you're a competent player, and the rest of your group is also competent, it shouldn't really be a problem.

>inb4 taking the bait
Don't tell me what to do, man.
>>
>>50665677
I don't see why not. Sorcerers (in DnD, but unless specified I'm assuming we're talking about DnD) have an inborn ability to use magic. Usually it manifests at some point in their life, but I don't think it's ever been stated that it must manifest at specific age. I'd imagine how and why their power manifest would depend entirely on the individual. The point is, to become a sorcer you don't need to go through years of training like in most other classes. You either have the potential to be a sorcerer or not, and when your powers first manifest you're a lv.1 sorcerer regardless of whether you're 12, 18, or 56 years old.
>>
>>50665810
Wasn't meant to be bait, just me being shitty at starting threads. I am actually pretty decent at roleplaying, dont go to any magical realms, and normally start my characters with a concept and build from there. So while he is a child it goes further than that (Why he is adventuring, how he manages to use these powers, is he all innocent or broken etc.) Only problem I had was if it would be too far for a character idea.
>>
>>50665677
>>50665842
Well if you asked your fellow players and the GM at the table and they were noncommittal about it, and all you pitched so far was "Child, Sorcerer," you might try pitching your actual concept and see if they respond more favorably.

If someone asked me "would an old knight work in your game?" I'd probably respond with "yes, depending on what ties he has to the setting and what motivations he has." Same with a child sorcerer.
>>
>>50665677

I think the problem is less that you are going to be a child SORCERER and more that you are going to be a CHILD sorcerer in a group of murderhobos.

How young are we talking? Are you planning on making them a complete sociopath that has no problem with fireballing a room for people at age 12? Do you intend to meaningfully RP them as something other than how you would RP and adult?

I'm not trying to harp on you, BTW. But RPing a kid is a challenge in and of itself in a game focused around that (looking at you, AdEva), but it gets pretty weird when the rest of the party is adults and you are just sort of along for the ride.
>>
>>50665842
Really, I'd just flesh out the core concepts and ask your GM. If he says good, good. If he says bad, then that's that I guess. If a GM says he doesn't want X kind of character in his game, and you pressure him into letting you, it won't be fun for anyone.

That being said, I hope you two come to an agreement and at least try it, one of my favourite characters I ever played was a little girl.
>>
>>50665966
Well the way he would act about his magic might be based more on how the party treats him and the overall plot of the campaign. I'm planning to have him start mostly peaceful but more then willing to defend himself (Though I will be going nonlethal until i find a reason for this kid to kill someone). If the party is a bunch of murderhobo's then he will gradually be more and more willing to act like one. He's young, he doesnt have a fully grown moral compass or beliefs yet. He just follows whatever the grown ups do.
>>
>>50665677
Depending on what child rules you are using and what edition then child sorcerers can be quite powerful. Speaking from experience, a 3.5 child sorc using one of the child templates with the cha boost is quite powerful when combined with the usual incantatrix/spellsurge/invisible spell/ocular spell/etc metamagic combos leads to a pretty strong combination both in crunch and in meta knowledge.

Dress up in commonner clothes and ditch the pointy hat while pretending to be a squire or servant of the party and cast invisible spells + silent metamagic rod means that with a little cooperation from your group and you can pretty much cast spells in public and no one will know its you. Add in the charisma reliance and maximize bluff and diplomacy and getting caught means you can still talk your way out of it where an adult gets sent to jail/attacked.

On top of being a full caster which means you are very hard to rival in straight combat, your max social skills also mean that you can play the 'great game' without casting a single spell.

Who needs to be king and get an "assassinate me" tag when you can talk your way into being adopted by the king or one of his confidants and control the empire from behind the scenes. Really, there are so many advantages you can gain for being a child in this setting that they almost always outweigh the cons of it.

Who needs to worry about the Con and HD hit when you suddenly get your Cha to HP and a hefty HD boost when you inevitably turn lich, Few spells known for not being a wizard? Sucks right? Well with your political maneuvering and the many business you no doubt discreetly run, knowstones/pages of spell knowledge suddenly become very affordable. Even the cost of your phylactery and the time to research its creation suddenly becomes inconsequential.

And if you do it right, even the GM will not know you plan to do all this and think that playing a kid is some sort of mid-life wish fulfillment or secret fetish.
>>
File: +36 to bluff.png (486KB, 819x715px) Image search: [Google]
+36 to bluff.png
486KB, 819x715px
>>50666222
Obviously this is only going to work on the same GM once. Shoot enough intensified invisible ocular scorching rays/fireballs to make someone look like they suddenly turned to ash/a room full of political rivals suddenly disintegrate and the GM will no doubt forbid anyone from playing a child sorcerer in any of his games.

Still, the journey is quite fun and the meta will protect you. Why is this kid so fucking smart and capable of planning so far ahead people might say. Well, as far as anyone who knew you before you started your journey is concerned, you were likely just some dumb kid with 12 maybe 14 intelligence and wisdom. Sure, you're smarter than usual, maybe that's why you were able to do with the magic so quickly, at the end of the day people will probably think you're a gullible kid and for the first few levels that will likely be the case. But since you will also likely be the one crafting the magic items for the group and the party divine caster has shit skillpoints that keep him from investing in spellcraft, then he will likely not notice how you slowly upgrade your +6 charisma headband into a +6 cha/+6 int headband as well as the int books you've been crafting and if you wanted to be evil, the room full of efreeti/succubus statues that you've been filling from one you bound, asked for wishes/profane gifts before petrifying.

Really, that paladin thats been slapping you around from time to time or the cleric who thinks he's been guiding or even the half orc barbarian who swears she will protect the small human fool will likely not notice your increasingly growing intellect or the empire you've been building from under their noses.

Tread lightly though, this can either be an interesting experience for everyone involved or it can be a cringefest if you do shit like describing your character as being "cute" instead of acting in such a way that you give people the impression of being cute.
>>
>>50666222
>elven girl pillow
Fucker doesn't understand the appeal of succubuses yet, clearly he is the worst child sorcerer.
>>
>>50667179
Its the Incantatrix iconic from 3.5, basically every sorcerer's one true love.
>>
>>50667198
>Is literally the only person not to play 3.5
Well I look like a fucking idiot. My joke still stands though.
>>
>>50666222
That pic is adorable
>>50666458
Same with this one
>>
File: hello darkness.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hello darkness.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>Playing a child character
>ten years old
>Party decides to go to a brothel
>mfw
>>
I once played as a child PC. He was fourteen and survived through a combination of magic, swordplay, and unimaginable autism.

He had like +30 Perception. I put everything I could into it. I tried to play him somewhat grounded. Relying on relatively realistic equipment, having high knowledge skills, prepared items against common threats, and extreme caution and autism.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.