[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 435
Thread images: 55

File: Quasit.jpg (4MB, 2400x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Quasit.jpg
4MB, 2400x3000px
>Latest News
Monk UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions

Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50661262

What is your opinion of the new monastic traditions? Should the weapons used by the Kensei be considered monk weapons? Is the Tranquility monk underpowered?
>>
peace and murder monks
>>
>>50664245
Healing monk is cool

Sword monk needs some Sage Advice desperately - sword + unarmed damage yay or nay
>>
New monks are trash, but the tranquility one shows potential.
>>
File: drinking monk.jpg (36KB, 346x406px) Image search: [Google]
drinking monk.jpg
36KB, 346x406px
>>50664245
Does anybody know just how many Domains they are?
I'm trying to make a proper list of them. So far I've got all the ones from core, the ones from the Domains UA, City, and Arcana. Am I missing any?
>>
Tranquility monk is perfect healer fill in that does shit loads of damage late game provided that you're bringing along hirelings.
I say yes for the first one but you gotta fluff the aesthetic a touch. Use the wuxia name.
>>
>>50664245

Kensei is fine but I wish they got more to do than "U hit gud" I feel like kensei weapons are supposed to also be monk weapons but that wording was not included due to an oversight. GWM monk should be a fun time at least.

Tranquility isn't underpowered as they're the best healers in the game by a wide margin as written. Wish they got non-lethal options in combat such as special grapples, disarms, trips, and so on to emphasize their pacifist nature. Level 17 ability is okay but a weird capstone for a pacifist. "Murder the murderers!"
>>
>>50664245
>d12 greatsword, pick dex or str, and never get to use the +2 AC, but at least you get auto-hitting d4 pummel. Also, unarmed attacks are 1+STR
or
>d6 shortsword, can use unarmed attack for 1d4 (scaling with martial arts), get the +2 AC, and still bonus attack with the shortsword for d6. Alternatively, d6+d6 or d6+pummel autohit and don't get the AC
>>
>>50664245
>What is your opinion of the new monastic traditions?

Both great. Might need some polish, but loving them so far.

>Should the weapons used by the Kensei be considered monk weapons?

I think it's fine as-is, if you think of the +2 AC like Shield as a benefit to using a one handed weapon. At most, I'd say they should make one-handed Kensei weapons monk weapons.

>Is the Tranquility monk underpowered?

I think it's fine, if a bit plain in some areas. Calm Emotions or some disabling Ki attacks would help give it a few more options.
>>
>>50664311
Demons run when a good man goes to war
>>
>>50664213
>The next day, Raymond decides to sneak out to the storage room himself but gets caught and whipped again. Is put on double disadvantage
>Due to Raymond's screaming of race war, tensions are high in the prison with the party slowly pushing the prison into all out racial anarchy with it all coming to a head when Frank begins flying a poorly drawn swastika from the top of a building
>In the ensuing chaos, the party sneaks into the guard building, gets all their equipment back and escapes through the sewers to freedom

And that is where we're up to right now.

I hope you all enjoyed.
>>
>+2 AC
Why not just give them a Parry Reaction?
>>
>>50664337
You made a lot of littler mistakes in that explanation. Greatsword can still be 2d6, and you can't bonus action attack with the sword. Once you're at level 5, you can to d6+d6+d6 as sword, unarmed, unarmed and still get the AC.
>>
>>50664363
>works once
>prevents making reaction attacks
>>
>>50664311
>Wish they got non-lethal options in combat such as special grapples, disarms, trips, and so on to emphasize their pacifist nature.
This doesn't seem too hard to implement, but I would worry about breaking them if they're as good of healers as you say they are
>>
>>50664400
Exactly. Much more thematic and already an established mechanic.
>>
>>50664392
Sorry, yeah, I always mix up the 2d6 and d12 weapons.

Oh, also, it seems I had some kind of stroke and read "you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action" in martial arts as "you can make one attack with a monk weapon or unarmed strike as a bonus action". Disergard that, I suck cocks.
>>
I like the new monk traditions.

Can anyone answer this for me. Would a kensei be able to use a long bow as a monk weapon? It just said martial weapon.

The downside being of course that using your flurry would be more difficult.

>>50664311
I agree that I wish they got some more actual pacifist options at the lower levels.
The level 17 ability seems good to me though. A literal calm rage. I can see it playing out really well.

>whatcha gonna do now bald man... Chad Thundercock is dead.
>*screams internally*
>>
>>50664458
It's fine. Everything else you said was on point explaining the tradeoffs between Shortsword and Greatsword.
>>
>>50664419
They get a better lay on hands that can be used as part of their flurry.
As a paladin main, I am absolutely salty. Here's to hoping next week does the boys in shiny plate good...
>>
I can't pretend I'm not disappointed that there was no Wot4e update/rework. But I do really enjoy the new traditions.

Also a drunken master would have been appreciated. However, I suppose you can always just roleplay that pretty easily.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (153KB, 629x596px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
153KB, 629x596px
>>50664501
>main
>>
File: barfight2.webm (1MB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
barfight2.webm
1MB, 450x360px
>>50664436
Yeah, when I think of "wuxia themes" I think of a guy deflecting one attack with his sword every six seconds.
>>
>>50664476
As it's written, yes, you could use a Longbow as a Kensei weapon (not a monk weapon). They need to make it clear first if ranged weapons also were intended for the specialization (pummeling at a distance?) and if they intended Kensei weapons to also be Monk weapons or not though.
>>
>>50664476
You could use a Longbow, but it wouldn't be a monk weapon. Kensei weapons don't become Monk weapons, meaning you can't really flurry alongside them anyway. That said, you can choose to use your martial arts dice still, which is nice when it goes above d8.

Still, it's something I would classify more as a ranged backup than a main fighting style.
>>
>>50664304
No need to bring hirelings. Usually somebody goes down in a fight, and you only need one person to go down every fight.

Hirelings would be overpowered anyway given action economy.

>>50664501
>salty that a low-tier class gets a better ability than a high-tier class's main class feature as a class archetype
>>
>>50664526
I dunno, boss. I feel pretty fine.
>>
>>50664542
>dual-wield longsword and shortsword
>if you ever feel like flurrying, just drop the longsword or leave it stuck in an enemy
>attack with shortsword, then flurry with your free hand / feet
>not wielding a non-monk weapon now since you disarmed yourself of the longsword, full MA damage applies
>>
>>50664541
>>50664542
Right, these were my assumptions.
Part of me believes they were not intending for it to be ranged martial weapons. As pummeling from a distance sounds really odd.
>>
If a mindflayer ate a monk would they be able to harness Ki? Would they even want to?
>>
Kensei is cool but could use some more utility, maybe.

Tranquility is fine at the start and end but the 6th and 11th features are "too situational" and "actually useless" respectively.

Remember to give feedback on fighters and to give feedback on these monks next week, when paladins come out.
>>
>>50664595
I'd allow it.

>mindflayers eat your party monk
>now the mindflayer colony has turned full weeb

the nightmare would become even more real
>>
>>50664571
The problem was never MA damage.

Martial arts damage dice is an innate part of monk, monks would still have an unused martial arts damage die if they didn't have martial arts. Martial arts merely gives the ability to use those dice.

The problem is that when you lose martial arts you cannot use dexterity instead of strength.
>>
>>50664616
>they start going after the female party members first with their tentacly mouths

YAMEROOOO
>>
>>50664571
Longbow, not longsword. Also, not much benefit to a longsword there really.

>>50664572
Yeah, if pummeling worked from a range Longbow would be a stronger option. Aside from refluffing it to be weird talisman arrows that explode into tiny no bursts though, it doesn't make make sense.
>>
>>50664620
>The problem is that when you lose martial arts you cannot use dexterity instead of strength.

You mean just for the sake of unarmed, right?
Because the kensei says you can choose dex or str.
>>
>>50664639
D-DAMEEEE
SORE WA DAME YO
>>
File: Bows & Swords.png (113KB, 743x488px) Image search: [Google]
Bows & Swords.png
113KB, 743x488px
>>50664541
>They need to make it clear first if ranged weapons also were intended for the specialization
It's in the description, so I'd assume it's intended.
>>
>>50664650
If unarmed strikes were kensei weapons, it'd actually work out even if you lost the martial arts feature as you'd still do 1d4/1d6/1d8 whatever and you'd be able to then apply dex, which means the only thing you lose is the bonus attack.
>>
File: swordarrow.jpg (49KB, 595x314px) Image search: [Google]
swordarrow.jpg
49KB, 595x314px
>>50664644
>not firing shortswords out of your longbow and doing the same thing
>>
>>50664679
They were clearly talking about neckwear.

But shit, you're right. I guess I glossed over that. That's good to hear I suppose! Still, now I would like them to change the word for pummeling.
Although I suppose you could flavor it as shooting two arrows at once. So long as your DM doesn't care about ammo tracking for nonmagical ammo.
>>
>>50664534
That's already been in the class from the start with Patient Defence.
>>
So what are the chances of being able to successfully play Samurai Jack as Kensai monk?
>>
>Be monk.
>Become Kensai.
>Select a Martial weapon.
>Heavy Crossbow.
>Shoot a guy with it. Using Strength as preferred stat.
>Bonus action to punch them from 40ft away.
>>
>>50664595
That's a question for your GM. If it sounds entertaining to you/the GM then it should probably be a thing.
>>
File: 1474231220957.jpg (542KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1474231220957.jpg
542KB, 750x1000px
Kensei weapons are separate from monk weapons now, as a category.

Thus if you're willing to sacrifice your unarmed strikes and faster movement, you can *actually* play an armored Strength monk now.
>>
>>50664808
Depends on how much your campaign will feature walking.
>>
>>50664595
Isn't ki about the connectedness of mind and body
wouldn't be of much use when your mind has left your body huehe
>>
>>50664827
Mountain Dwarf with Heavy Armour training, you don't even need to multiclass!
>>
File: How about no.png (419KB, 777x607px) Image search: [Google]
How about no.png
419KB, 777x607px
>>50664534
>when I think 5e I think being able to take not only an action, a bonus action, an object interaction, movement and a reaction, but even more reactions every 6 seconds!

You talk as if you're allowed to have fun.
>>
>>50664850
>no Tomorrow style
why would you do this to your eyes
>>
>>50664827

Was this confirmed in Sage Advice? That kensai weapons don't count as monk weapons?

That seems kinda shitty.
>>
>>50664887
Unless it's a short sword.
>>
>>50664887
Not in a sage advice, in the fucking UA itself.

You know, because it never says they count as monk weapons, and only names specifiic limited benefits of Martial Arts that apply to kensai weapons.
>>
>>50664337
>Wield Greataxe.
>Hack for 1d12 Damage, proccing +2AC.
>Extra attack is a side-kick, for Martial arts damage and granting flurry.
>>
>>50664912
>Not in a sage advice

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

>>50664901
Point, that's probably what I'd pick.
>>
>>50664815
Well then, I'm in luck then 'cause I get to defer to myself.
>>
>>50664534
5e isn't designed for fun martial combat. If the players had the ability to really miss things up wuxia style, it would result in option paralysis, as the whole world being open to them is just too much.

That's why it's better to force combat into endless cycles of standing still and attacking.
>>
Kensei seems cool I guess. Didn't they used to have improved crit as a class feature? Pacifist is kind of neat, but I'd never play one.

Where did the sun soul come from? I've only found it 3rd party so far.
>>
>>50664887
Hasn't been confirmed or anything, though hthe lack of wording is pretty clear.

It basically means you have to choose between using a Shortsword so you can still flurry and get that +2 AC, or forgoing that for a bigger sword, the potential for GWM, and auto-hit pummels.
>>
>>50664920
>Hack for 1d12 Damage, proccing +2AC.
Nope, not how it works at all.
If you have extra attack and use unarmed on one of those? Sure.
>>
>>50664953
Sun soul is in SCAG
>>
>>50664920
>proccing +2 AC

No it doesn't. You've gotta punch for that.
>>
Rate my 4elements/tempest cleric monk.

18 monk/2 cleric (probably would only reach level 15 at the most, so likely 13/2).

Variant human for mobile to simulate flowing through battle and shizz. Also, to eventually smack people as I fly by them.
Pick up the wind themed elemental disciplines, minus thunderwave (get it with cleric). Maybe barter with DM to let me take gust instead of the elemental attunement discipline.
Two levels in tempest cleric let me use my reaction to blast people with thunder or lightning if they hit me a number of times equal to my wis.
Once a day can max my thunder damage.
Hard fights I can up my AC with shield of faith.
Also keep healing word as a backup in case someone drops.

Plan to max wis, dex, with 14 con.
>>
>>50664337
At what point did people decide that losing the 'martial arts' feature removed your martial arts die completely and why do people still insist it's 1+STR instead of 1dX+STR?

Also, at what point did everyone start using 1d12 weapons instead of 2d6 weapons?
>>
>>50665027
Because the d12 is cool lookin' and more fun than the d6
>>
File: martial arts.png (140KB, 333x475px) Image search: [Google]
martial arts.png
140KB, 333x475px
>>50665027
>>50665027
>At what point did people decide that losing the 'martial arts' feature removed your martial arts die completely and why do people still insist it's 1+STR instead of 1dX+STR?
When Martial Arts specified that you can't be wielding any non-monk weapons to use your martial arts die.
>>
>>50665027
Can't use the dice for unarmed while using a non-monk weapon.
>>
File: anger of a gentle soul.jpg (587KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
anger of a gentle soul.jpg
587KB, 1000x1000px
>wizard casts charm on big bad when tranquility monk isn't looking
>makes him kill one of his own minions
>anger of a gentle soul activates

Suitable loophole?
>>
>>50665059
Actually, yeah, just realized I'm doing this all wrong.

You can still use the martial arts die for the kensei weapons, but not for unarmed strikes.

I fucked up somewhere along the lines, probably when people were talking about using it at later levels.

At least I'm not wrong that you can still use it for some attacks.
>>
The simplest way to fix 4emonk.

Reduce the ki price of every listed feature by 1. Yes, this means some are functionally cantrips.

Double the amount of disciplines known.
>>
>>50665093
I needed this image, so badly.
There's a cancerous, mentally deranged Lord Dominator avafag somewhere on 4chan that even the tripfags despise.
>>
>>50665141
Even the one that increases your reach to 10 feet and makes you do fire damage? What about the extra 1 ki for additional 1d10 damage?
>>
Warforged Tranquility Monk specializing in Throwing Darts?
>>
>>50665093
That would work, but only if you seriously misunderstand how charm works.
>>
>>50665204
Take a level in warlock or grab magic initiate for hex (discord).
>>
>>50665204
Muh references lmao!!!!!
>>
>>50665093
If you've successfully dominated the Big Bad at that point, there's probably something better you can do with the control.
>>
>>50664992
My bad, It's meant ot be "Greataxe for damage, then Kick for +2AC"
>>
>>50665257
I play blizzard games! such a nerd!!!!!
>>
>>50662372
i was slow because i had to shitpost about the UA, naturally
>>
>>50665141

>play in a game using these houserules
>make a bugbear Wot4E monk
>get the discipline for 10 foot reach punches that do fire damage, do that every turn
>bugbear so now I punch 15 feet

I like it
>>
>>50665257
I swear, my friends only fucking play something if it can be likened to a league of legends character.
>>
>>50665204
Why not just skip the bullshit and play a soul of the sun warforged monk and just roleplay the tranquility part.
>>
File: knifesoul.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
knifesoul.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>50665343
>>50665204
>>
>>50665367
I love these
>>
>>50665217
>>50665263
oops, I guess I meant Dominate person, not charm person, and if you're gonna lose control of him after a minute anyways, 80+ damage seems like a good start
>>
File: IMG_0486.jpg (44KB, 426x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0486.jpg
44KB, 426x333px
Is there a system in place for attempting to bodyblock an attack coming towards an ally? Like a reaction or something.
I wanted to play a Druid that physically got inbetween a player and an enemy as a way of tanking for the party.
>>
If you make the net a kensei weapon, can you replace its 0 damage with your martial arts die?
>>
File: wizaziw.png (143KB, 253x300px) Image search: [Google]
wizaziw.png
143KB, 253x300px
>>50665335
Are you DMing for my players when I'm not around?
>>
>>50665442
No, having too many options like that is confusing, so wizards eliminated them.

Your reaction is exclusively for opportunity attacks and maybe prepared actions but don't count on them.
>>
>>50665442
Protection Fighting Style allows you to impose disadvantage on an attack directed at a nearby ally if you are wielding a shield and use your reaction.

The Knight from the recent Fighter UA does something similar with their Marking.
>>
>>50665443
Yes.
>>
>>50665443
>so, you want these guy's "caught alive" or "chunky salsa"?
>>
>>50665453
It pisses me off every damn time. Zero depth to the character other than references. They make zero room for development and then bitch when they get bored. Well no fucking shit, you took a caraciture, an amalgamation of references with no fucking focus or subtlety then expected it to be interesting because of "haha you named him Fuzz not Fizz" and some one dimensional, one note bullshit.
>>
>>50665335
What's the best build to roleplay as Teemo guise XD
>>
>>50665485
>lol here's 20 spells each with their own damage and use cases, and you can control 9 creatures at once
>what, you wanna do something other than knockback, prone, or grapple an enemy? get fucked kiddo, that's too complex
>>
>4d6+10+2d4= 33
>2d8+1d6+15= 27.5
This at 5th level
If you flurry
>2d8+2d6+20= 36
And gets worse the higher the unarmed damage it gets
Why would anyone want to be a kensai?
>>
File: img2.thejournal.ie.gif (893KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
img2.thejournal.ie.gif
893KB, 700x525px
>>50665443
>netfighting is now RAI

Fuck, why didn't I notice this sooner
>>
Kensei means I can play a STR monk, right? I am absolutely playing a half-orc muscle monk kensei first chance I get.
>>
>>50665442
>>50665488
Also Protection cleric domain
>>
>>50665257
>>50665293
>>50665335
>>50665343

>Hundreds of "How do I play a character based on X"
>Thousands of "What would pic related be"
>Millions of "Stat him /tg/"

Post Blizzard character
>this triggers the autist
>>
I wish they explained the flavor of some of these UA subclasses better. Some, like kensei, just seem to assume you know them from a previous edition. What's a kensei?
>>
>>50665443
Oh no here we go again
>>
>what ho Muscle Monk, might you avenge us a murder?

ho ho ho, of course young ally

I CAST PEACE!!

><BOOM!!!>
>>
>>50665582
>Post Blizzard character
>>this triggers the autist
I just suggested an alternative build that would work better for Zenyatta, I was never mad.
>>
File: chirico pm zoom.gif (3MB, 272x204px) Image search: [Google]
chirico pm zoom.gif
3MB, 272x204px
>>50665582
stat him, /tg/
>>
>>50665588
Are you asking for yourself, or are you asking rhetorically?

Either way, a kensei is a horse.
>>
>>50665620
I think you just got swept along for the ride there by accident by the anon.
>>
>>50665620
Didn't link you though. I like the Magic Initiate for Hex + Eldritch Blast idea though.
>>
>>50665582
Where do you see me bitching about blizzard in >>50665335
And I highly doubt most "stat x" threads are for players to use said character. Probably for GMs to have a one-off NPC.
>>
>>50665638
Little of both I guess? I know "ken" means sword and I assume from context that's what it means here. Don't know what the whole term means or what they are in D&D. Mostly rhetorical though, because Google exists if I want to know myself.
>>
>>50665588
>he doesn't speak weeb
Ken = sword
Sei = saint

They used to be a Fighter Kit, and later Prestige Class (spelled Kensai at the time) that specialized in not wearing armor and hitting things really well with a specific weapon.
>>
>>50665684
>that specialized in not wearing armor
Bullshit, they didn't gain profiency in any new weapon or armor, but you could still use those from your early classes, in fact, you better be because you gain almost nothing to protect you
>>
>>50665443
No. Nets don't have a damage die to replace with a martial die.
>>
>>50665527
Rogue Assassin with poisoned blowdarts using bonus action to Hide every turn
>>
>if you cast sanctuary on yourself twice, only one sactuary effect applies
>the spell effect is defined as the main wordblock of text
>when you do an action that would end 'sanctuary', you lose that sanctuary, but not the one that isn't currently applying. Thus, that new layer of sanctuary comes into effect and you are now, again, protected by sanctuary

Cast sanctuary on yourself sixty times in an hour.
>you must make sixty attacks before you lose the effect
>>
File: read the book.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read the book.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>50665778
Game effects of the same name don't stack.
>>
>>50665801
>game effects don't stack
That's exactly WHY this seems to work.

The durations overlap, but the effects don't stack.
>>
>>50664827
>armored strength monk

Why not just play a samurai? I thought the Kensai path was more for Samurai Champloo types
>>
>>50664841
kek
>>
Are there any good choices to build a stealth caster, aside from taking the Subtle metamagic and waiting until I can cast Greater Invisibility?
>>
>>50665829
Because if you're not getting martial arts by your kensai weapons not applying as monk weapons you might as well put on some armor. I think they do apply so you can play Samurai Jack but who knows what wizards is thinking.
>>
>>50665778
>>50665817
Casting Sanctuary while already under the effect of Sanctuary would cause the second casting to fail
>>
>>50665855
>Are there any good choices to build a stealth caster, aside from taking the Subtle metamagic and waiting until I can cast Greater Invisibility?

Take a high dex, multiclass rogue 2, bonus action hide every turn.
>>
What is a good 2 or 3 class multiclass for a Drow or Half-Drow (Half-Elf using SCAG variant)? I'll be joining the campaign around level 6-8. It's Out of the Abyss. The idea is that she's an investigator/spy who the party has encountered several times previously, but hasn't recognized because of the Disguise Self spell.

The classes I'm most interested in are Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, and Warlock. I want to pick something that's both flavorful and viable/useful but I'm having trouble finding a good combination.
>>
>>50665869
Where does it say that?
It only says "The effects of the same spell cast multi pie times don't combine, however. lnstead, the most potent effect-such as the highest bonus-from those castings applies while their durations overlap."

This means that the same spell can be cast on the same creature twice, but they cannot simultaneously have effect.
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (160KB, 856x1250px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg
160KB, 856x1250px
>>50665367
now THIS is homebrew done right.
>>
>>50665442
just ask your dm, family
>>
File: 1481231771622.jpg (82KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1481231771622.jpg
82KB, 600x900px
>>50665536
>Why would anyone want to be a kensai?
>>
>>50665929
>Wearing armor as a monk
Enjoy disadvantage on attacks
>>
>>50665536
Because I can use my ki for shit other than Flurrying and my campaign isn't going to level 11, let alone beyond.

>everyone complains about Monks falling behind martials in damage
>here's a Monk that just uses martial weapons
>wah it doesn't do enough damage
>>
>>50665855
Take 9 levels of Rogue as an Arcane Trickster and multiclass with wizard maybe.
>>
>>50665948
its costume armor :^)
>>
File: paperloricas.jpg (64KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
paperloricas.jpg
64KB, 720x404px
>>50665948
>armor
Anon, that's literally paper.
>>
>>50665959
>In the best situation ever I deal 3 more damage than other monks...as long as the game doesnt' go beyond 11th level then I'll suck hard
>>
>>50665889
Swashbuckler or Socerer + a couple warlock levels.
>>
>>50665964
So armor, enjoy your disadvantage
>>
>>50665536
>Find a +3 Greataxe.
>Sharpen it into a +6 Greatsword.
>Cleave Kick Kick for good damage and superior AC.
>>
>>50666030
>i cast searing ray on the troll
Woah, woah, why did you only roll three die?
>one die for each beam
No, you're making those spell attacks at disadvantage. Let me see six die.
>how am I disadvantaged? I'm not within 5 feet of the troll
You're wearing a robe. That's armor.
>>
>>50665536
sorry can you explain these numbers to a retard.
first one is 2 greatsword attacks + 2x5 dex/str each, + 2 1d4 shoves or whatever? but don't you only get one?
second is 2 1d8 quarterstaff attacks, +1d6 kick + 3x5 dex mod?
it shouldn't be +5 dex at level 5 also.
>>
File: _.png (124KB, 512x256px) Image search: [Google]
_.png
124KB, 512x256px
>>50666030
(you)
>>
>>50666067
>Superior AC
Only if you deal 1+Str attack, so your superior damage doesn't become so superior now.
>>
>>50666067
dude if you have a +6 weapon, don't waste time not attacking with it as much as humanly possible. get great weapon master, use advantage. this is actually sounding like an okay level 17+ class.
>>
File: 3MonstersHeader.jpg (125KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
3MonstersHeader.jpg
125KB, 970x545px
Why aren't you playing a Grung, /5eg/?
>>
So a Kensei Monk could be a dex-based great-sword wielder
>>
>>50666075
First is a kensai using greatsword and using his bonusa ction to deal 1d4 more on every kensai weapon attack. You get 2 attacks, that's 2d4

Second is a monk with a quarterstaff using martial arts

Third is a monk with a quarterstaff using FoB
>>
File: Grungs.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Grungs.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50666122
Probably due to the lack of player race stats.

This should help.
>>
>>50666122
I don't play furries.
>>
>>50666140
So now I can finally have my dex-based great sword wizard/monk combo.
>>
>>50666161
They're not furry, they're cute
>>
>>50666075
>it shouldn't be +5 dex at level 5 also.
Ok
Kensai
4d6+8+2d4= 27
Monk martial arts
2d8+1d6+12= 24.5
Monk Flurry
2d8+2d6+16= 32
>>
>>50666161
But anon, amphibians don't have fur
>>
>>50666183
>>50666176
Same shit
>>
File: sanctuary.png (112KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
sanctuary.png
112KB, 500x500px
>there are monks out there right now who aren't tranquility monks who start the day and spend every minute of every say casting 'sanctuary' on themself over and over
>>
>>50666167
Remember that you can't multiclass wizard with just 8 int though!
>>
>>50666145
>First is a kensai using greatsword and using his bonusa ction to deal 1d4 more on every kensai weapon attack. You get 2 attacks, that's 2d4
but you only get 1 bonus action.
>>
>>50666167
I've honestly wanted to be a Dex based greatsword user for awhile.

battlemaster with a dip for kensei would be pretty fun, albeit not "optimal"

Actually, swashbuckler rogue would be amazing holy shit. Can I sneak attack with my finesse greatsword? it is a finesse weapon
>>
File: ssaq.jpg (365KB, 707x707px) Image search: [Google]
ssaq.jpg
365KB, 707x707px
>>50666200
>I only play things that look like humans

Man you're boring.
>>
>>50666224
And you have shit taste.
>>
File: 48414c28c046f92c07ae18717904ed84.jpg (109KB, 1024x662px) Image search: [Google]
48414c28c046f92c07ae18717904ed84.jpg
109KB, 1024x662px
>STAT ME (pic) please.
>5e
>Mostly rock
>>
>>50665442
The protection fighting style can impose disadvantage to an enemy trying to attack an ally next to you. the warding bond spell can give your ally resistance to everything and a bonus to saves and AC and you take the exact same amount of damage they take in exchange, and you can even be up to 60 feet away from them with this spell. Crown paladins can use their reaction to take the exact damage an ally was just dealt as a reaction if they are right next to them, and you can hold your action and use a shove Action on your ally if an enemy gets too close to them to push them out of the enemies reach.
>>
>>50665536
Cool. Now factor in GWM and the fact that flurries can miss while pummels can't.
>>
>>50666212
You were right, I have to explain stuff like you were retard.
1 bonus action = +1d4 on damage with your kensai weapon attackS
>>
>>50666232
>not playing a proto-slime tumorsexual frogkin
>>
>>50666213
While it's the same exact mechanic as a finesse weapon, no, it's actually not a finesse weapon. Same reason as to why you can't sneak attack with your fists if you're a monk/rogue even if you're using dex for those unarmed strikes.
>>
>>50666279
Read nigga, read
>>
>>50666286
i don't think thats how it works
>>
>>50666314
Read what? Pummel isn't an attack, and GWM should be providing a sizable damage boost if we're just assuming everything hits.
>>
I'm a little late to all these new arcanas, what do people think about the bard schools?

I've been wanting to make an expy of the Face Dancers from Dune for a while now, and with this new stuff, a School of Whispers Changeling Bard seems like the way to go.
>>
>>50666338
>>50666359
Reread, slowly
>>
So, stupid question, but with Emissary of Peace and other features that give you additional skills, what happens if you already have all the skills listed? Do you get to pick anything else?
>>
>>50666338
You make one weapon attack on one guy. You make another on another guy. You use your bonus action to pummel. Both guys got hit by your sword. Both take 1d4.
>>
>new guy joins the party
>ticks almost every red flag I have for that guys

send help
>>
>>50666092
1d12+6 is less damage than 1d10, today I learned this.
>>
>>50666382
Please elaborate
>>
>>50666376
No, the feature is wasted completely
>>
>>50666232
You know, I only ever play as things that look human, but that doesn't mean that I have a superior sense of aesthetics or taste. Quit being an asshole on the internet.
>>
>>50666372
That still doesn't explain why you haven't factored it in at all.
>>
>>50666372
>>50666377
ah i see
>...to that target and to any other target you hit with the weapon as part of the Attack.
>>
When you take the Attack action on your turn and hit a target with a kensei weapon, you can use a bonus action to pummel the target, dealing an additional 1d4 bludgeoning damage to that target and to any other target you hit
with the weapon as part of the Attack.

Additional damage to that target and any other target YOU HIT with the weapon as part of the attack. You need to hit if you want to add damage
>>
>>50666377
Fun fact, there is no range on the pummeling right now. You can pummel people hit with your bow 300ft away.
>>
>>50666386
Yes, you learned your reading comprehension is worse than that of a 5 years old kid.
>>
>>50666203
Is there a source for that image in the lower right hand corner?
>>
>>50666382
explain further
>>
>>50664534
what weapon is the bald guy using?
>>
>>50666511
Looks like a nagamaki, or the chinese equivalent.
>>
>>50665582
I bitch whenever I see it. Jojo, while a great anime is annoyingly prevalent too.
>>
>>50666014
What would be the best way to distribute the levels? That's where I'm having the most difficulty.
>>
PAM/GWM monks using dex fuck yeah you fuckin' cunt woger bloody ibbins
>>
>>50666439
To run some rough numbers(correct me if I'm wrong). Assuming level 20 and 50/50 odds to hit.

A normal monk will be doing 4d12 + 20, averaging around 23 damage after you factor in misses. This takes 1 Ki per turn to keep up the flurry.

A Kensei monk with a Greatsword and GWM is dishing out 4d6 + 30, along with either 1d4 or 2d4, depending on the number of targets. He can also spend 3 Ki for +3/+3 for a minute, a fair deal compared to the constant flurry above. With that factored in, along with the level 17 reroll, I believe you're looking at close to 26 on average.

So at the uppermost level, where Kensei supposedly falls far behind, it's still edging out a standard monk for damage.
>>
>>50666439
>Why would anyone be a Kensai? Where is the advantage in being a sword wielding monk?!
>Because his sword does superior damage?
>NOT IF I TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU.

Seriously though, what are you chatting mate I don't get it?
>>
>>50666389
>>50666382
>neurotic about very minute details
>argues with people in circles over rules interpretations, and is always very wrong
>multi-classing, not a real issue but he's like bragging about his "build", everyone else is just playing fun stuff
>character is just a famous character from something else, changed slightly.
>proudly declares himself as a grognard, says 5e is bad but he tolerates it so he can play
>tried to bring his friend in to our campaign, we all said we didn't need more players
>tried to get the GM to run a special session just for him and his friend who isn't joining our game
>bitches and moans about UA and homebrew, we don't have anyone using UA or Homebrew
>showed up with retarded stats, says he rolled them, we all used point buy and make him redo his character and he bitches and moans

there's more. The biggest thing that irks me is personal; he decided to play the exact same race/class as me despite knowing I was playing it, and that I've been with the group since day 0. He says he's multi-classing for a bit but frankly I'm still a little annoyed that he just copied me, like I'm not playing a human fighter here it's a pretty specific thing. We've got this varied and well comprised party of different races/classes and this fat 30something guy comes in and is just playing what I'm play. My poor GM is a nice dude and won't say anything to him but he admitted he was irked at the guy too
>>
>>50666400
Factor what? +20 to damage from GWM? ok, do I factor the -5 to hit too? do I factor the fact that you are now one +1 to hit, damage and AC because you spent an ASI on GWM instead of rising Dex? Sure, I can do that.

At 5th level (+3 profiency)
Against AC 16

Kensai
(2d6+3+10)x(6/20+6/20)= 12

Monk with martial arts
(1d8+4)x(11/20+11/20) + (1d6+4)x(11/20)= 13.475

Monk with FoB
(1d8+4)x(11/20+11/20) + (1d6+4)x(11/20+11/20)= 17.6
>>
What ever happened to those nice class-based character sheets we had in the Mega Trove?
>>
>>50666572
You have to deal unarmed damage to get the +2AC, that removes one of your attacks to deal 1+Str.

You have two attacks, one deals 2d6+Dex the other deals 1+Str if you want to have the +2AC.
>>
>>50666472

I just grabbed it off of google images and cropped it.

Search 'nethack elbereth' and it should be on the first line.
>>
>>50666558
>You have 50/50 to hit
>After getting -5 to hit you still have 50/50 to hit
Like what?
>>
>>50666609
Friendly reminder that the +2 AC is a Shield for Shortsword Kensei monks, and a Greatsword user shouldn't be bothering, much like a Greatsword fighter.
>>
>>50666654
A greatsword fighter has d10, full plate and second wind. Monk doesn't.
>>
>>50666640
I factored that in. The +3 to hit from the Ki spent brings it down to a -2, and with the re roll actually brings you better hit odds with one attack, so it evens out.
>>
>>50666687
You can only keep that up for 5 turns. Meanwhile monk is Shoving (for advantage) or getting an extra attack if one of his friends attacks the enemy or using burning hands. You're only factoring the monk chasis and only for 5 turns.
>>
Kensei weapons are Monk weapons.

Even WotC aren't retarded enough to have an ability that uses Martial arts unarmed attacks while wielding a Kensei weapon if KW's negated MA.
>>
>>50666730
Why 5 turns?
>>
>>50666733
>Kensei weapons are Monk weapons
Says who? not the UA that's for sure.
>>
So as a layman on his first DnD campaign who just got level 3, should I consider those new classes? I was going to go way of the open fist but this is hype.
>>
>>50666558
A 17th level Open hand monk is dealing infinite damage
A 17th level shadow monk is making 5 attacks
A 17th level Sun Soul is attacking + burning hands also dealing 5+Wis to the first enemy who attacks him
A 17th level long death isn't much of a damage dealer but can tank lot of shit

Take that into account and not the monk frame without subclass features.
>>
>>50666751
Describe Kensei in 3 words.
Bonus points without using Jackie Chan.
>>
>>50666851
Worse samurai jack.
>>
>>50666851
>>50666851
Monk Archtype Jackie-chan.
>>
>>50666851
unarmored samurai?
>>
>>50666851
Definitely not Jackie Chan, the archetype.
>>
Anyone have the /tg/ Warlock character sheet? It's not in the pastebin's download.
>>
>>50666851
Unarmoued Samurai Monk.
>>
>>50666549
2 levels of warlock is usually enough, since that's when you get your invocations. 3 levels is also good since that's when you get your pact boon and 2nd level spell slots that recharge on short rests. I wouldn't take any more than that.

Always start as the other class, since in sorcerer's case they give you constitution save proficiency, which helps with concentration spells, and in rogue's case you get a whole bunch of skills and dex saves.
>>
>>50664245
>What is your opinion of the new monastic traditions?

Fuck them. Tome of Battle when? Give us interesting martials for fuck's sake
>>
>>50666851
HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL
>>
>>50666675
A Kensei can just use the Ki they're saving on flurry to Dodge as a Bonus action if they're in trouble,
>>
>>50666511
Looks too thin to be a dadao, I'm guessing it's a Zhanmadao. It's a sword meant for anticavalry purposes, so it has a longer than usual hilt.
>>
>>50666974
>3 words
>>
>>50666966
this
>>
>>50666988
you didnt get on this guys case >>50666925
i just took his word he didnt use okay?
heres my other attempt:
PLUS SIX BATTLEAXE
>>
>>50666730
>5

You mean 10. It lasts a minute. If a fight lasts a minute, then any other monk has burned through half their Ki on flurry anyway.
>>
>>50666756
Check with your DM first to see if he allows UAs. If he does and they appeal to you more than open fist, sure, why not
>>
Mountain Dwarf Kensei.

Lean Strength, Con and Wisdom.

Take Heavily Armoued at level 4, Platemail Greataxe stunning strike and the odd gauntlet slap for 1+STR damage amusements and occasional 40ft backflip.
>>
>>50667120
kensei def isn't like super super good but enabling people to play a greatsword wielding plate armour dwarf who can triple backflip and runs like a kenyan is fucking awesome
>>
>>50667120
>Jump good
or
>weighted clothing
>>
Way of Tranquility (17) + Magic Initiate (Magic Missile)
Party member conjures 8 beetles under BBEG's foot. BBEG kills at least one beetle. Hippy monk gets mad, fires magic missles at BBEG. (1d4+1+monk level) x3
Yip ya fat cunt.
>>
>>50667171
>>50667120
>unarmored movement
>unarmored
>>
>>50667171
It feels really neat, and it all looks like it should be awesome. I feel like the issue is that most of its features are wrapped up in keeping it on par in weapon usage, so it misses out on other things.

A monk that can get +2 AC and +3 to attack and damage easily and reliably should be awesome, but Kensei just feels meh for some reason.
>>
>>50667208
>level 20
>wand of magic missile
>cast magic missile at level 7
>(1d4+21)x7
>gauranteed to hit
>>
>>50667261
>>50667208
Oh, bonus points for grave cleric using their channel divinity to give BBEG vulnerability.
>>
>>50667261
wew
>>
>>50667261
>x7
fuck, x9.
>>
File: 1458511586179.jpg (1MB, 1600x1217px) Image search: [Google]
1458511586179.jpg
1MB, 1600x1217px
>>50667208
>>
>>50667234
can still dash and shit
>>
File: FIST.png (406KB, 521x380px) Image search: [Google]
FIST.png
406KB, 521x380px
>grave level 2 cleric uses channel divinity
>BBEG kills something
>level 20 monk gets pissed
>pulls wand of magic missile
>shoots 9 magic missiles
>1d4 is rolled
1: 396 Force Damage.
2: 414 Force Damage
3: 432 Force Damage
4: 450 Force Damage

>if he tries to cast 'shield' or counterspell it, a sorcerer uses subtle counterspell
>if he has force resistance/immunity, reduce damage by half
>>
>>50667438
hippy peace monk new nova meta
>>
>>50667438
Anime missiles coming from a monk. I'm down to indulge in this "my friends are my strength" ultra weeb fantasy. Can we go deeper?
>>
>>50667516

Monk 17, fighter 2, warlock 1. Cast hex, action surge to use the wand twice.
>>
>>50667570
Magic missile isn't an attack and thus doesn't trigger Hex.
>>
>>50667570
Wand has max charges tho, so you need two wands.
If you want double damage on that wand's blast too, you need another grave cleric, and that grave cleric needs to hold his action to use his channel divinity after the first magic missle super friendship blast hits
>>
>>50667570
Hex isn't going to do shit.
Good thinking on the fighter, though.

>two wands of magic missile
>cleric is now level 6, uses channel divinity and prepares a reaction 'use channel divinity after the first magic missile casting'

>((((1d4+19)*9)*2)*2) damage, halved if enemy has immunity or resistance to force.
That's a maximum of 828 damage, holy shit.
>>
>>50667570
Doesn't work with hex. Also think you would need two wands because charges.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-12+at+06.39.16).png (80KB, 475x430px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-12+at+06.39.16).png
80KB, 475x430px
>>50667438
Grave Cleric's Path to the Grave only confers Vulnerability on the first instance of damage done. It's questionable whether all 9 magic missiles will be affected by the vulnerability even if they all deal damage.
>>
>>50667677
Magic missile is a single source of damage.
>>
>>50667677
They all hit simultaneously - it's one instance of damage
That's why you only roll the 1d4 for magic missile once
>>
File: 7bd.jpg (170KB, 1365x915px) Image search: [Google]
7bd.jpg
170KB, 1365x915px
So, with as many wands of magic missile as are needed, you can deal gauranteed damage (you cannot resist grave cleric's ability, nor can you resist magic missile without some sort of spell that a player can just counterspell).

The damage is

((1d4+19)*9)*2 + ((1d4+19)*9)*2

Now, the big deal here is,
You can do this every short rest.
The cleric regains all uses of their channel divinity on short rest.
The monk regains action surge on a short rest.
The monk regains ANGERY on a short rest.
The only issue is the wands of magic missile. However, once Nuke Ghandi rules the world, you will be able to enslave the populance to make more Nuke Wands.
>>
>>50667782
How can wizards even compete?
>>
Question to DMs:

How do you go about making maps? Is there a particular piece of software you use, or do you draw them by hand, or do you go without?
>>
>>50667707
>They all hit simultaneously
Yes
>That's why you only roll the 1d4 for magic missile once
Wat? They are still separate bolts. It says each bolt does 1d4+1.

>>50667692
Not really. They hit at the same time, but it's still three hits.
>>
File: 1454801463984.jpg (60KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1454801463984.jpg
60KB, 620x349px
trying to explain to someone online how the Wand of Magic Missile works. can someone check my work?

>The SPELL dictates "You create 3 darts of force, they deal 1d4+1." That's at 1st Level. The thing that creates the problem is that the SPELL itself specifically states that every slot higher you use, it adds 1 dart. So using the spell at 7th level means 3 + 7 = 10 darts. Then you add your +1 after rollling all 10 darts/dice. The confusion comes from the MAGIC ITEM's wording, "charge." But if you read the magic item's description carefully, it states "for 1 charge, you cast the 1st-level version of the spell. You can INCREASE the SPELL SLOT level by one for each additional charge you expend." And as we read before in the spell description, using a charge/slot just adds 1 dart only. Using 2 slots, or in your case, all 7, doesn't meant 7 level 1 Magic Missile slots. It means level 1 (3 darts) + 7 additional darts. For a total of 10 darts/dice.
>>
>>50667846
I make overworld hex maps and draw sketches of combat maps because it's not worth detailing them at all. Cost-benefit analysis.

>>50667850
https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/557820938402947072?lang=en
>>
>>50667854
It's 3+6 darts for a 7th level spell.
>>
>>50667846
There is literally no good mapping software
It's all either pointlessly obtuse and obnoxious to work with because it was made by one guy in Windows 98, a poorly-optimized and bloated mess of useless features and design-by-committee nonsense, or so simplistic it lacks even the most basic and common-sense features you'd expect from mapping software.

Regardless of which category it falls into, there's no documentation on any tool and the supplied art assets suck, both in terms of variety (okay, you made some walls and doorways--got anything to put in this room? no? okay get fucked) and art quality. If the tool allows you to import your own, all assets made by third parties are wildly different in style and do not mesh well together at all.
>>
>>50667854
It's 9 darts for 7 charges. 3 (1 charge) + 6 (6 charges).

Also, you roll (1d4+MODIFIER) and apply that damage for every dart that hits, and every dart hits simultaneously.

See >>50667873
If still in doubt. It's one damage roll.
>>
In regard to the map question, anyone try this?
http://inkarnate.com/
>>
>>50667928
Inkarnate is fine for quick custom overland maps but isn't good for anything else.
>>
>>50667919
It's one instance of damage multiplied by the number of missiles.
You only roll damage for single instances of damage. If something would trigger another damage roll, that's a separate instance of damage.
>>
>>50667846
I just scribble.
Everything else sucks and is too obnoxious/slow to use. A person's imagination makes better details than some shitty thing all the software can give you.

>>50667928
Isn't this just for like huge landmasses? It works well enough for that.
>>
File: floatingislandinkarnate.jpg (869KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
floatingislandinkarnate.jpg
869KB, 1024x768px
>>50667949
you just need to get gud
>>
>>50667928
I have. It's pretty good for getting the gist across with a world map or one for a small region. I've seen some great stuff done with it, though it does take some work to get really nice looking results.
>>
Does anyone have Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle? It's not in the Mega Archive.
>>
So, what would it take to fix Kensei. Scaling pummel? Making Kensei weapons Monk weapons? More utility? More damage? More maneuvers/tricks?
>>
>>50667955
Nothing triggers another damage roll however, as they all strike simultaneously. As shown on the twitter link, 'it's like fireball, you only roll once'.
>>
>>50668024
It doesn't need fixing.
>>
>>50668024
For what I'd use kensai for pummel wouldn't be relevant to begin with.
I think the best thing you can do is go PAM/GWM and use dex from a char-op standpoint.

>>50668037
Yup
>>
>>50668024
It's fine. Maybe a clarification that you can still get your martials arts unarmed strikes while wielding a kensei weapon, but that's it.
>>
>>50668024
Just play Mountain Dwarf and wear armor. Boom.
>>
>>50667981
literally an overland map, but I guess it wasn't "quick"

Pretty picture. Got enough mountains?
>>
>>50668063
It annoyed me when I read it through earlier today and they didn't specify that kensai weapons were also monk weapons.

Though that might actually be intentional.
>>
File: dwarfkatana.jpg (100KB, 400x577px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfkatana.jpg
100KB, 400x577px
>>50668072
It's like they knew.
>>
>>50668058
Really? I felt like the benefits from a two-hander weren't that good compared to a Shortsword for martial arts and +2 AC
>>
I'm bored. Someone give me another character portrait. >>50665318
>>
So tempted to make a kenku Kensei. Also Mystic Take 3 next week.
>>
File: lock.jpg (477KB, 1000x1585px) Image search: [Google]
lock.jpg
477KB, 1000x1585px
>>50668109
>>
>>50668107
You can just punch/kick someone with one of your attacks if you feel you want the AC, and use your weapon otherwise
+ your monk scaling damage benefits your bonus action attack from PAM since it's a kensai weapon
+ very reliable reaction attacks
>>
>>50667981
>that mountain placement
Learn to plate tectonics.
>>
>>50668132
Oh legit?
I was just expecting paladin.
>>
File: 1421344748050.jpg (145KB, 850x1354px) Image search: [Google]
1421344748050.jpg
145KB, 850x1354px
>>50668109
>>
>>50668063
"It's fine, just make kensei weapons monk weapons, like one of your options"

>>50668132
Wasn't it delayed yet again
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/805278241804066817
>>
>>50668050
I think at the very least it could use some extra utility. Even if it's some random ribbons like letting you judge the make and quality of a blade or being able to put on a martial art sword performance.
>>
>>50668132
Mystic was pushed into 2017.
>>
>>50668132
Paladin next week you nipnong ravenfolk FUCK.
>>
>>50668157
>non-combat utility
>from martial classes
Shut up and get back to standing still and punching people, swordboy. You just leave the other pillars of the game to the Caster Master Race.
>>
>>50668157
It's legit pretty good dude.
You gotta remember that your level 11 feature can be stacked on top of magic weapons too.
>>
>>50668137
>Monk damage applies to PAM

I hadn't considered that. That said, I don't think you can just punch/kick and get your martial arts if the weapon isn't a monk weapon. The holding it in one hand thing feels like an oversight.
>>
File: sheaf.jpg (163KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
sheaf.jpg
163KB, 960x1280px
>>50668109
Um... okay?
>>
>>50668190
>I don't think you can just punch/kick and get your martial arts if the weapon isn't a monk weapon
The +2 AC is from attacking with a kensai weapon, not a monk weapon
>>
>>50668093
It is intentional--Way of the Kensei is more an alternative to Martial Arts than a strict upgrade to it. But it could use some cleaning up.

It would be much easier overall to just do something like:
>You gain proficiency with three martial weapons of your choice. These weapons are considered monk weapons while you wield them.

And that's the feature. It removes the need for the second and third bullet points entirely. The math ends up almost exactly the same, with the kensei being the "I deal a bit more damage with a bigger weapon!" monk.

That does remove the strength crossbow and armored strength monk shenanigans, though. However, that'd be better presented as a monk alternative and make the kensei as it is much cleaner.
>>
>>50668132
Don't tease me like that you nignog.
>>
>>50668189
True. I suppose as well with the extra AC and damage that might free up a bit of room for more utility feats. Kensei doesn't feel like it needs as much Wisdom outside of early levels.
>>
>>50668190
>>50668201
Oh not the +2 AC - sorry misread. But you do get martial arts damage scaling applied to your kensai weapon damage explicitly in the Path of the Kensai feature
>>
>>50668161
>>50668156
Oh fucking hell.
>>
It might be a bit early, but what are your hopes for the Paladin UA?

Personally I'd like a not-paladin, who smites with Force or extra weapon damage.
>>
File: hornsesass.jpg (26KB, 459x355px) Image search: [Google]
hornsesass.jpg
26KB, 459x355px
>>50668245
ANTI-Fey Paladin
Battlemaster Paladin
PRO-Undead Paladin
>>
>>50668245
fire paladin, wind paladin, water paladin
>>
>>50668245
I have no idea what I want, so I'm interested in what they'll give me.
Only thing I think would be neat would be a ranged paladin.
>>
>>50668245
I want an investigation based paladin, with lots of features dedicated towards discovering the truth.
>>
>>50668275
No Earth Paladin?
>>
>>50668214
Yeah. That does sound a lot simpler. I could see it being rather strong at early levels with a Greatsword or something, but even that's only 3 extra damage over a quarterstaff.
>>
Healing Spec
Arcane Spec
Necro Spec
>>
>>50668287
Dude why do you hate heart?
>>
>>50668245
Lady of Painadin
Cross room smite paladin
Arbalest Paladin
>>
>>50668245
Oath of the Sorcerer King to be a Dark Sun Templar.
>>
>>50668245
Archer paladin and arcane paladin
>>
>>50668286
Heavily armored Inquisitor? It'd be cool. Fluff it up as a slightly less murderous Vengeance Paladin who has silly morals like "due process of the law" and "courts with a jury".
>>
>>50668245
I want an entirely support-focused paladin that isn't ancients paladin.

Especially good if it uses lots of charisma.
>>
>>50668297
Isn't a Heart Paladin just a Bard?
>>
>>50668330
actually that's one I want- a non-CHA paladin, uses WIS instead. Instead of being offensive they're entirely defensive, make them the ultimate tank.
>>
File: dual knight.jpg (186KB, 623x960px) Image search: [Google]
dual knight.jpg
186KB, 623x960px
>>50668245
Probably some kind of Lawful-Neutral leaning one, whose god is very focused on oaths and contracts and geases.
Like, he doesn't uphold goodness in general so much as specifically integrity. Lots of speeches about honor and tradition and discipline.
>>
>>50668356
You mean... Oath of the Crown...?
>>
>>
So... Magic initiate as a Level 4 Rogue/Thief. Good idea? Bad idea?
>>
>>50668265
>pro-undead paladin

so oathbreaker?
>>
>>50668384
Depends what you get with it. Snagging Guidance could be very nice, but outside of that you'd want another good utility cantrip, and a spell that either lasts a long time or scales very well.
>>
>>50668245
5ed version of the Divine hunter from pathfinder.so bow using Pally with ranged smites.
>>
We will get a healer paladin and a tank with a mark ability.

Screencap this
>>
>>50668384

Guidance and Minor Illusion
>>
File: Capture.png (30KB, 211x56px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
30KB, 211x56px
>>50668419
>a tank with a mark ability.
>>
>>50668384
I'd rather take other things desu.
Lucky, Alert, Healer, etc.
>>
>>50668441
I'm talking about 4e marks, and the knight's mark
>>
>>50668384
its an okay idea. stats aren't really that important for thieves, and magic is useful.
i picked skilled honestly at level 4, don't know what i'll do at 8 (at 7 now). maybe skulker.
if i did magic initiate i'd probably go wizard and get find familiar, but honestly getting good berry or guidance would be good too. hard to pick.
honestly even true strike could be useful in some situations that i've run into (aka being useless alone). booming blade is interesting as well.
kind of like my guy non magical though, but ofc thats just me.
>>
>>50668245
Inquisitor
Orlando Furioso super charming paladin
Cavalier (mounted combat paladin)
>>
>>50668424
no class gets both of those spells
>>
>>50668486
So be a gnome or high elf or take Magic Initiate
>>
>>50668384
Only if you intend to get BB+GFB, but then honestly that's better if you also have shield proficiency.

I'd just up dex or get the lucky feat or something.
Also, 'healer' is good for thief, as suggested.
>>
>>50668519
thanks
>>
>>50668245
Forge Paladin
>>
If I'm holding a Longsword in one hand and nothing in the other, can I make an unarmed attack with my free hand as an off-hand action?
>>
>Tranquility Monk is "I want no trouble" the class

My god. I can finally, truly be the Jackie Chan I've always wanted to be
>>
>>50668372
>monk of the north star
>Art of Dragon breathing buff for unarmored defenses
>flurry of blows to hundred crack fist
>Remorse Fist for instagibbing on failed saves
>Nil-thought rebirth to take traits of nearby fallen friends
So goddamned easy to make cool shit with this.
>>
what's the most fun way you guys know of introducing / managing strongholds?

I really want to put one in for my table.
>>
>>50668602
You can make an unarmed strike even if your hands are full, since an unarmed strike doesn't have to be a strike from your hands.
>>
Do you think they keep changing the file naming scheme of the UAs to prevent another leak

Like what the hell
>>
>>50668623
Have your players make it themselves with stone shape, wall of stone, move earth, etc.
>>
>>50668641
I meant with "two weapon fighting", but now I see that your weapon needs to be Light so I guess that's a no.
>>
>>50668675
Yes - unarmed strikes are not weapons with the light property.
>>
>>50668673

reckon the bard is just going build it with Fabricate for a couple of weeks
>>
>>50668650

I noticed that too. The Bard, Cleric and Barbarian ones are formatted like this:

>UA [Class] [Name of Subtype]s.pdf

And then we get this shit for the last few:

>UA_Druid11272016_CAWS
>2016_Fighter_UA_1205_1
>M_2016_UAMonk1_12_12WKWT

Obviously that's not a big deal, you can always just change them; it's just fucking weird is all.
>>
>>50668650
>Do you think they keep changing the file naming scheme of the UAs to prevent another leak
Yes.
>>
>>50668754
That'd be a lot slower but possibe
>>
>>50668138
Aren't those floating land masses?
>>
How do I keep casters in check in 5e?
>>
>>50668817
Play the game. It's a balanced game.
>>
hey nignogs what do you think of this garbage idea

>Change GWM to "any melee weapon held in two hands"

Replace Polearm Master with
>Defensive Fighter
>"Enemy enters your reach" OA with any weapon/lets you slap a bitch with a 1d4 regardless of weapon
>>
>>50668817
play __4e__
>>
>>50668817
Unless your players are hardcore, you won't need to. They'll keep forgetting how their spells work or the wizard will be subjected to close combat or anything of that sort.
>>
>>50668833
>GWM change
Yeah, sure, won't really do anything.

>Defensive Fighter
You're nerfing paladins and giving rogues an option for dealing sneak attack damage outside of their turn. For anyone other than rogues it's likely to be useless.
>>
>>50668817
At most, just ban the hardcore abuses and problem spells, like Simulacrum+Wish and the like.

Outside of that, casters have a lot fewer spells per day and won't have the slots to trivialize everything. As long as the adventuring day is long enough and they don't take a long rest after every fight, everyone will have a chance to shine.
>>
>>50668616
So tranquility monk for Jackie Chan.
How can we stat Chris Tucker?

I want to run a rush hour campaign.
>>
>>50668833
>nerfing my PAM builds
i'll fukn rek u i sware on me mum
>>
>>50668616
Except Jackie Chan "wans no trabbu" and always gets trabbu.
>>
>>50668899
>Chris Tucker?

Ranged valor bard
>>
>>50668894
>Nerfing Paladins
If anything it just means you can PAM with whatever weapon you want though, including Greatswords.
>>
>>50668817
Have you tried not playing 5e?

The easiest way is to give martials all one feat and one expertise.
>>
>>50668896
>>50668837

Basically these two things.
I'm a DM and the only people I ever DM for are too lazy to read what their spells do half the time before trying to cast them. These people don't theorycraft the way people do here.

You'll be fine. If anyone tries to break anything, just tell them nah if you don't want to allow it, but be sure to reward their creativity in another way.
>>
>>50668954
absolutely unnecessary
>>
>>50668947
I like it.
>>
>>50668367
...shit.

Yeah.
>>
>>50668969
Definitely necessary. Martials lag so far behind outside of combat, unless they are rogues.
>>
>>50668446
Already got Lucky; Alert doesn't appeal as you're usually better off going (at least) second to get sneak attack damage for engaging the same target as a friendly; Healer, we already have 3 healing capable characters. I took Vicious Mockery, Mage Hand and Disguise self originally, but I'm regretting the decision; our DM is allowing us to modify our characters as we go as we're all new to D&D. We're locked in from level 5 onwards, though.
>>
File: rivengardkeepstuff.png (134KB, 714x1962px) Image search: [Google]
rivengardkeepstuff.png
134KB, 714x1962px
>>50668623
Uh, kill the shit out of a bunch of baddies currently occupying some place and take it for yourself.

In Princes of the Apocalypse, the Water cult is holed up in a previously abandoned fort called Rivengard Keep on the Dessarin River. One of its walls its kind of open to the river, and it's got an underground cave and temple complex.

My party infiltrated it under cover of night and slaughtered everyone inside. After securing the "topside", we sent a missive to the Knights of Samular to let them know, and to inform them about the shit beneath it. The party went down into the temple complex and cleared out the place, but the dragon turtle killed our Paladin and the Cult Leader showed up with some more henchies, so we fled and reinforced the topside.

It took the cultists a few days to get reinforcements from down below, during which we were fortifying. A few workers and trainees from the Knights of Samular showed up during that time to help repair and guard the Keep (they assumed we'd COMPLETELY cleared it out), so we had their help when the Cult tried to storm up from below.

We chumped them handily and exploded Crabclaw Cultman with a lightning javelin, then decided to take over the Keep in earnest. Our DM drew up a list of upgrades that we could purchase; buildings we could restore or repurpose and upgrade. Our Fighter with the Veteran background had a little rolling minigame where they'd train the militia guards.

We also wound up altering the quest rewards from other parts of the module to be more assistance for our Keep instead of some shitty magical item. We invited a bunch of regional powers to the Keep for a diplomatic meeting to discuss the Cult shit and got a few indulgences out of them for being able to prove this was a problem, and also worked to uncover some spies in their midst. And we had a bidding war between some Thayans and Halruuans over Drown.

In contrast, the module gives you a wagon house in Red Larch. That's it.
>>
>>50669003
Most noncombat shit is resolved without any rolls at all, and players roleplay their characters however they'd like, so that's hardly true.
>>
>>50668961
>>50668817
I would say something else to keep in mind is that players might overlook downsides or assume certain things about some spells.

This could be stuff like forgetting Knock makes a loud noise, ignoring the need to still make Hide checks to not be heard while invisible, and not realizing Charm Person isn't full on mind control and they realize they were charmed after.
>>
>>50668926

But that's the thing, he wans so trabbu, he still, inevitably, gets trabbu, and then he kicks ass.

That's what the subtype is, a subtype that tries to avoid trabbu, but when trabbu rises its ugly head, he runs in and fucks shit up hardcore, and makes the trabbu go away.
>>
>>50669021
The first half of your statement is false and the second half irrelevant.
>>
>>50668952
You lose the bonus action attack, which is kind of a big deal.

The reaction attack's damage is reduced from 1d10 to 1d4. That's -3 damage.
Then, you get to have a 2d6 weapon instead of a 1d10 reach weapon, so that's +1.5 *2 = +3 damage.

Thus, from moving from polearm to greatsword, you have gained no damage at all and you have lost reach (if you weren't duelling quarterstaff+shield). The only thing worth noting is if you take the fighting style 'GWF' then it's slightly better with the greatsword.

Anyway, so for a net total of +0 damage, you lose your bonus action attack which is 1d4+STR++Improved Divine Smite+SmiteOpportunity
Which is kind of a big deal.

And also nobody really has much reason to use polearms, I guess.

However, it's also a buff to fighters.
GWM fighters will take it for 1d4+STR+10 with -5 to hit, because they don't care that it's only a 1d4 reaction attack. They get to add +10 to it.
Fighters have a lot of feats, after all. Paladins don't get many.

So, yeah, I guess fighters and rogues. And maybe barbarians with nothing else to use their feat on, maybe. But who goes pure barbarian, anyway?

I mean, you can nerf paladins. They're pretty strong, and fighters less so, probably. As it stands right now, PAM is practically a staple for paladins, I'd say, except for certain charisma-focused paladins who want dex and take shortswords instead and don't want to be variant human.
>>
>>50669011
>you're usually better off going (at least) second to get sneak attack damage
You can delay actions in the rare case you ever need to, and the biggest bonus of Alert is that you can't ever be surprised and that creatures don't gain super-bonuses for attacking you when you can't see them.
>>
File: 1478784987162.jpg (474KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1478784987162.jpg
474KB, 960x1200px
>>50669049
>You lose the bonus action attack
>/lets you slap a bitch with a 1d4 regardless of weapon
This is implying you can make the bonus attack with any weapon.

I guess if multiple people read it wrong it's because I wrote it badly instead of wording it like an actual Feat.
>>
>>50669018

Hey, I nicked a Vardo off the vistani once. It's pretty sweet.
>>
>>50669104
That's a good way to get gypsy cursed.
>>
>>50669042
It may be false in your game but it's not false in general.
It's also the case that when the casters have to dip into their resources to cast fly on the party or to do something else, that takes away from their capabilities to do all of their other shit for the rest of the day, whereas the fighter and barbarian can bust down doors, scale walls, and other shit with no resource expenditure and at any moment.

If your martial PCs are literally BSFs or Lumps, that's the player's problem and not the game's.
>>
>>50669049
>>50668952
Oh, that said, a paladin could go for sacred-weapon focused play with bless to up their to-hit chance as much as possible and join the GWM parade, but they again don't get a lot of feats and that demands both CHA to get sacred weapon to work, two actions if they want to get bless and sacred weapon up and STR for more to-hit and damage. ... And it also becomes less viable at level 11 due to the +1d8 damage.

>>50669087
Oh, then.
It basically, overall, is a ever so slight nerf to paladin (-reach, same damage), and a big buff to GWM fighter.

A level 5 fighter with GWM normally has 2 attacks they can apply +10 to and then a potential extra attack.
With this feat, they would ALWAYS have 3 attacks on their turn, and potentially a fourth one from reaction. It does mean they're skipping a +STR increase which is kind of important, but they get a lot of ASIs so they'll get there.
>>
>>50669125
No it's definitely false in general
>>
>>50669157
>definitely
Good luck substantiating that~
>>
>>50664311

Game already allows for non-lethal melee attacks at full strength, no reason to build sub-systems you don't need. Plus the group would be rightfully pissed if it nerfed your ability to actually engage in deadly combat.
>>
>>50669151
>>50669087
Ah, I forgot.
'Why doesn't a fighter just get PAM and GWM already, since you can currently do that?'

... I've never actually considered this.

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty good combo.

However, the biggest difference is once fighter gets extra attack (2) and extra attack (3) where they benefit more from greatswords.

I might have to think about this.
>>
>>50669125
It's definetly true for the general population.

"I don't know dm, can I just roll a persuasion/ survival/perception check or something" is a phrase you'll have to get used to of you ever expose yourself to pubs.

And barbarians and champion fighters are lumps by design, though the shitty design extends to all martials outside of rogues, because grognards got their knickers in a twist when confronted with options.
>>
>>50669151
>It basically, overall, is a ever so slight nerf to paladin (-reach, same damage)
There's no reason you couldn't use a polearm with it and get the exact same benefit of the normal Feat.

Also don't forget you can get GWM and PAM at the same time anyways. So you'd be choosing to get a 1d12 damage die or a 1d10 and Reach.
>>
>>50669151
I don't think it nerfs Paladin at all. It functions the exact same for polearms as it does now, it's just that anyone can use any weapon for it.
>>
>>50669157
You both need to first define what "most noncombat stuff" is anyway.

That itself varies widely from game to game. So it's hard to say what's true "in general" or otherwise.

I think personally the mark of a good DM is letting players do things and roleplay out of combat sessions without making them roll too much. Unless of course, your players love rolling. Some do. For many groups, they don't like it because it slows things down. Or leads to situations like "why do I have to make a deception check? He has no idea my name isn't Fred, we just met." That's just a silly example, but things along those lines.
>>
>>50669203
Ah, but you see, I exclusively use PAM to make an already powerful class even more ridiculous, and if you take that away from me, all I have left is a character who's still better than every other martial.
>>
>>50669203
I don't think you understand how vital the PAM BA attack is to paladins.
>>
>>50669226
Except rogues
>>
>>50669235
I don't think you understand that you get it anyway. >>50669087
>>
>>50669250
>a class that needs to take a feat in order to attack twice on the first turn of combat
ha ha ha
>>
I'm in the mood for some oldschool D&D PC games. I've found two nice looking game collections on GoG.

Do I take collection 1 with the Eye of the Beholder games, or collection 2 with Pool of Radiance and the other D&D games made by SSI?
>>
>>50668817
1. Understand how concentration works.
2. Set a limited time frame to be successful at any venture, so the party can't spend as many days as they want taking long rests.
>>
File: Arisha.jpg (2MB, 1500x2113px) Image search: [Google]
Arisha.jpg
2MB, 1500x2113px
>>50668109
I have yet to find a suitable image for them, aside from the basic hair/style combo and a necklace
>>
>>50669235
It doesn't matter if I understand. I don't think you understand at the intent the guy was going for was literally to just keep Polearm master the same, but make it so someone with a longsword could use their longsword with Polearm master.

Under that proposed change, if you had a Paladin with a Glaive and PM, nothing would be different. The only change is that now you could go sword and board and still get it.
>>
> There are anon in here who think Crawford words aren't RAW
>>
File: darksun.jpg (377KB, 637x3314px) Image search: [Google]
darksun.jpg
377KB, 637x3314px
>>50669278
Take which ever collection has both Dark Sun games.
>>
>>50669291
They just don't want to accept they are wrong
>>
>>50669287
>"Enemy enters your reach" OA with any weapon/lets you slap a bitch with a 1d4 regardless of weapon
Could be kensai-style from what was said - I'm not reading every post in this thread, I'm responding to bad things. If you've already changed gears or clarified intent you could just ignore someone's post~
>>
>>50669291
Crawford is an anti-fun faggot who doesn't know how to answer simple questions. He would be a terrible DM if you actually wanted to have a good time doing anything but casting spells.
>>
>>50669321
Why are you playing 5e if you want that?
>>
>>50669336
To bitch.
>>
>>50669203
Well, I'm thinking on it.

It drives away the point of using polearms somewhat as polearms are 1d10, greatsword is 2d6 and that's a 1.5 damage difference. The difference between 5.5 average damage and 7 average damage. It's not a lot, but usually that's worth a lot more than reach, I'd say.

If a paladin continues to use a 1d10 weapon, they'll lose damage compared to before as their reaction attack goes from 1d10 to 1d4.
They have to upgrade to a greatsword for no net damage gain (unless they had GWF fighting style in both cases, in which case they get a gain of something I won't work out right now).
So, it's not really a nerf much, but rather it buffs competitors.

For a fighter using both PAM and GWM, that's +1.5 damage every time they get an extra attack beyond the first extra attack.
They also get +1.5 damage for every extra attack made in an action surge.
However, it's probably worth noting these damage bonuses are decreased by the fact that GWM will give -5 to hit and the +1.5 will matter less.

Oh, shit, I forgot barbarians. Barbarians are sort of midway between wanting GWM and PAM right now. Barbarians.. Eh, they'll be about the same.

I'm thinking this all through, but unless it applies to ranged weapons, it might not actually do anything much other than give fighters a slight buff and discourage weapon diversity.
>>
Since it looks like I accidentally started some shit with my lazy wording here's a properly written one.

Defensive Fighter
Your training allows you to strike enemies as soon as they enter your reach.
You gain the following benefits:

When you take the Attack action, you can use a bonus
action to make a melee attack such as a shield bash, a kick, or striking the
enemy with the blunt end of a Halberd. The weapon's damage die for this attack
is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage. The bonus attack
uses the same ability modifier as the main attack (From PHB Errata)

Other creatures provoke an opportunity attack
from you when they enter your reach.
>>
>>50669321
His rulings are usually in favor of fun
>>
>>50669316
>Is shown exactly how he was wrong
>Still tries to be smug and superior about it

kys
>>
>>50669392
wew
>>
>>50669291
I still disagree with him about Rangers not being able to move during Multiattack. Everything in the rules as written points to yes.

>>50669305
I'm generally not a big fan of 4e's art direction, but I have to admit they nailed Dark Sun.
>>
>>50669385
You must have Crawford and Mearls confused.
>>
>>50665948

5e, son. Read the fucking books, they changed some shit out from under you.
>>
>>50669374
You're forgetting Reach, which can be essential.

So you either take a 1d10 with Reach, a 1d12/2d6, or a 1d8 + Shield.
>>
>>50669384
Imo the problem with this is weapons are already too boring. Making them play exactly the same way just with different numbers is lazy design, is bad design.

Each weapon group should have its own unique, strategy changing feat.
>>
>>50669374
Yeah. It really feels like it just makes everything even less distinct. I'd rather see better feats for other fighting styles rather than just making the best two available to everything.
>>
File: 1478586545558.jpg (54KB, 564x766px) Image search: [Google]
1478586545558.jpg
54KB, 564x766px
is the revised ranger adventure league legal? it doesn't have the usual sidebar to say it doesn't and the wording is iffy
>>
NEW THREAD

>>50669464
>>50669464
>>50669464
>>50669464
>>
File: UA-Feats-V1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA-Feats-V1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50669417
>>50669420
This is somewhat why I made it in the first place, I think that there should be feats for specific weapons, however as of now PAM is just too essential for some builds to not take. Like this you can customize your character's weapon choices more without weakening yourself.

There should be other more specific Feats for other weapon types- including a new Polearm Master (Which includes Spears and Lances because why the fuck are they not in it), maybe along the lines of the UA Feats.
>>
>>50669406
>Mearls
He just doesn't know shit about his own game
>>
File: ArmorProficiency.png (381KB, 633x243px) Image search: [Google]
ArmorProficiency.png
381KB, 633x243px
>>50669407
I think you need to read the fucking book
>>
>>50669514
>Shillelagh Monks in Heavy Armor is legit
>>
>>50669411
I'd say reach is more of a side utility.

I should also mention that having -1.5 damage compared to a 2d6 weapon also means it has -3 damage in comparison when it crits.

If a paladin sticks with the reach weapon, they will be nerfed by the change as it's simply changing their reaction attack from 1d10 to 1d4.

The deal is I can't see any class aside from paladin, bladelocks, GWM fighter, barbarian and rogues taking it and all of those characters excluding rogue who couldn't before are just fine with taking PAM as it currently is.

.. And, yeah, it affects a few classes. Overall it'll give all the above classes a damage boost but will take away their reach unless they want to keep reach, in which case they'll lose damage. Unless it's quarterstaff+shield, in which case they'll move to rapier+shield and be slightly better off and also not need str-

Oh, great, I just realized, it gives even less incentive to use strength.
>>
>>50669564
>they will be nerfed by the change as it's simply changing their reaction attack from 1d10 to 1d4.
holy fuck are you a dense nigger. THE REACTION ATTACK IS STILL A 1D10.
>>
File: tumblr_obt8w3z52p1se8m68o1_540.jpg (80KB, 478x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_obt8w3z52p1se8m68o1_540.jpg
80KB, 478x810px
Just getting into DMing, our second session is coming up, and I'm writing. How do I make a balanced, and (at least partially) interesting spellcaster encounter? The party is 3 level 2 characters.
>>
>>50669615
Most spellcasters are going to challenge the party pretty heavily at that low of a level. You can throw in a cult fanatic, an acolyte, or a priest for the time being.

Once they get another level or 2, I suggest throwing in the Bard enemy from Volo's Guide to Monsters. It has a lot of fun shenanigan spells.
>>
>>50667261
>Level 18 Monk, Level 2 Fighter.
>2 wands of magic missile.
>Action Surge for 1d4+19 x18 Missiles.
>>
File: house seed1.jpg (76KB, 1475x402px) Image search: [Google]
house seed1.jpg
76KB, 1475x402px
>>50668623
Found this string of comments at some point, never bothered to paste them together, but it's a cool concept.
>>
File: house seed2.jpg (99KB, 687x672px) Image search: [Google]
house seed2.jpg
99KB, 687x672px
>>50669696
>>
>>50669696
>>50669712
Might want to post these in the new thread, friend
>>50669464
>>
>>50669651
Is Volo's Good? I recently bought physical copies of the DMG and the PH, and I really love the quality of both. Should I also pick up the Monster Manual, or is that all stuff I can get online?
>>
File: house seed3.jpg (32KB, 1469x102px) Image search: [Google]
house seed3.jpg
32KB, 1469x102px
>>50669712
>>
>>50669730
You can get all the books as pdfs in the Mega in the OP
Also, Volo's is great and you should get the MM
>>
Play a Katana wielding Kenseiwhatever.
Slash two foes.
"I nothing personel two of them, they stand unmoving as I sheathe my sword slowly, then at the moment of the sword closing fully, I'll use my bonus action for the +1d4 damage."
>>
>>50669712
And if you just water it with all that shit at some point during growth do you get it all in a mansion?
>>
File: nnggggh.png (689KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
nnggggh.png
689KB, 1680x1050px
>>50665778
It's a clever idea, but I would imagine what you're talking about is a condition of the spell not the effect. Even if you managed to reason that it's a part of the spells effect it would also be easy to assume that the first sanctuary would wear off when you start making an attack, which would open up to the next, which would trigger off the attack etc etc. Cute an idea as this may be I doubt any DM in their right mind would allow this.
>>
>>50669514

You do know there are multiple ways to get armor prof, right?
>>
>>50670031
We were talking about monks. Do you go around assuming all monks have armor proficiency?
>>
>>50670045
Kensai can actually build STR and dump dexterity. If they take 1 level in fighter, they can have fullplate, a greatsword, and use a STR based longbow. The greatsword can deliver stunning strikes and qualifies for GWM.

Just stop shitposting and embrace the new STR monk DPS meta, anon.
>>
>>50670754
>playing STR kensai
>not simply using PAM and building dex
wewew
>>
>>50669537
Don't mean to ruin your dreams anon, but shillelagh is a spell.
>>
>>50666239
At that size I likely wouldn't give it actual stats--it's a living plot device, and can be killed in a suitably dramatic and climactic fashion. Like dropping a flying city on it, invading it to destroy it's heart or brain, or finding some doomsday-level weapon to annihilate it in one go--or whatever the players go with, because I'd pepper this shit all over.
Thread posts: 435
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.