[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted General - /exg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 285
Thread images: 18

File: sun.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
sun.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

>What's with the slow release schedule?
Onyx Path is run by raksha who have only a vague concept of human time. Expect Sidereals in 2020.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18FYdnXLYj0JnBNxNSGIZyi_FZcg085qCyUYoCEtac_8
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
http://pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1
>>
>>50663491
Let's talk about the courts of elementals and terrestrial gods. And when I say talk, I mean please tell me about them so I can steal ideas for my own game because I'm a filthy parasite with no stories of my own. How have you used elementals and terrestrial gods, what kinds of interesting courts and individuals have you come up with?
>>
>>50663521
>Let's talk about the courts of elementals and terrestrial gods.
No.

But let me tell you about my homebrewed toilet demons :^)
>>
>>50663521
Shadowed Tree, Patron God of (insert your city here) and Domain God of Drowning In (insert your river here), a city father/mother who's old, keep-head-down sort, had their city occasionally taken over by Exalts who usually had it un-taken by boredom or Wyld Hunt or something within a decade, will be quite friendly to whoever's waving the biggest stick nearby at the present moment.
>>
>>50663521
The Scaled lady of Measures is a former local snake godess in the east who helped an unfortunately abandoned caravan pass through her territory. She found that she prefered her new position, and stayed on as a caravan god.

She's since moved on to greater caravans, whose gods suffered unfortunate posionings.
>>
I want to run a final fantasy (specifically 14) themed game and I'm trying to find a good system to do it in. In your opinion would exalted work to model the sort of high powered JRPG fun and retardation the average Warrior of Light gets up to? I don't know the system at all yet, figure I'd ask here while I scoop up the rule books.
>>
>>50668499

Depends on what FFXIV is like. In Exalted, the base splat is the Solar Exalt, a divinely empowered mortal due to inheriting a power missing for 1,500 years. Out of chargen your character ought to be think about how he can affect the environment around him in terms of nations. Dawns can fell armies single handedly, Zeniths can raise cults to themselves and raise mobs to overthrow tyrants, Twilights uncover the secrets of bygone eras, uncovering sorcery and creating wonders the likes of which non have seen in millennia, Nights can break into the tightest fortress and steal from a safe without opening it, and Eclipses can forge alliances between forces warring for centuries.

What can a Warrior of Light do? Or more importantly, what do you want from your game?
>>
>>50668499

For FF14, the player characters seem relatively on par with most NPCs in the game, maybe a few notches above. I've never felt like a demigod while playing 14, so maybe go for Heroic Mortals or Dragon-Blooded for lower level PC's in a high fantasy world.

As for the other FF's, the other Exalted can become quite powerful even at chargen. I'd recommend that for a more over the top FF style game.

Exalted also has airships! Check out Bagrash Kol and the Haslanti League.
>>
I've been using Exalted to run mortals in a fantasy world, and in so doing have had to exclude many charms from my players' options. I'm finding that my players don't care much for Charms in general, mostly because the earlier ones don't feel like they do anything of import, so there's no reason to track the resources.

I'm considering re-doing many of the Charm trees for this, but before I start, have there been any similar efforts done already?
>>
Is there a link to Infernal preview? Don't see it in OP links
>>
>>50669005
>>
>>50669037
Thanks anon, hope they won't fuck up Shintai
>>
>>50669037

Might as well post the rest.
>>
>>50669252
>>
>>50669273

Last one.
>>
>>50668499
If you want to play Final Fantasy, you need to give Anima Prime a try. It really emulates the genre really well, more than Exalted IMHO...
>>
Hey guys, what kind of Exalted game are you playing?
I've read the Core book, but I fail to imagine what kind of game I could be running. What kind of power level should I be expecting from freshly created PCs? What kind of challenges should they meet at first?
I love the flavor and color of that game, but I'm somehow terrified by it ^^
>>
>>50669607

As stated in >>50668848, the powerlevel starts high and gets higher. Mortals are unlikly to be a threat unless there's an army of them, and players are generally expected to succeed at whatever they put their minds to. It's important not to fall into the mindset of "but I need to challenge my players" but instead give them consequences for their actions. If the players defeat a powerful demon, who hears about it? Downtrodden humans who wish to reward the players? Neighbouring gods who now see the players as a threat to their power? Scheming opportunists who wish to manipulate the players to their own ends? Rival beings looking to test their strength against your players?

What if your players slay a king? What happens to the local politics? Will this create a power vacuum? A succession crisis? Will the players usurp the throne? What will neighbouring kings and governors think? You get the idea.
>>
>>50669607
I am about to begin running a game in the Scavenger Lands, the players are beginning as mortals. The focus of the game is mainly around Great Forks but the story is going to be focused specifically on the players and dealing with their struggles and backgrounds, but there'll be some external events taking place.
>>
>>50669607
>what kind of Exalted game are you playing?
None, sadly.

I'm not very experienced with third edition, but from past games, starting Exalted are powerful, but not so much they can effortlessly roll over any threats you throw at them. Personally, I'd start off a campaign by having players face a challenge that mostly involves mortals, maybe with a few supernatural beings as major players or support during significant encounters. For example, a new friend of the PCs is chosen to be a village's yearly sacrifice to a corrupt local spirit, and if they want to save their ally they'll need to deal with resistance from the villagers and the god's wrath when their tradition is being threatened. You could even have all the NPCs be mortals, really; I think a Seven Samurai type of story could work for a first adventure, where the PCs are travelers who have to protect a peasant village from bandits.

Exalted tend to be very good at what they do, so these challenges might not end up being a real threat to them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Especially if the game is just starting, and more so if you're new to Exalted, it's good to let the players test their powers and see how strong they are compared to an average person. You can always throw greater challenges at them as the game goes on and you get a feel for balancing things, but a big part of Exalted's appeal is in being a mythic hero with the potential to change the world. Challenge makes games tense and exciting, but as >>50669877 said, sometimes the consequences of having and using that power are more interesting than whether it will be enough to succeed.

Being terrified of the game is understandable, though, considering how huge it is. The best advice I can offer is to not worry too much about the details, learn the basics, let your group know you're new to this, and jump right in. It can be a lot easier to play than it looks, and experience is the best way to learn.
>>
>>50669607

I'm currently running one for my campus club and it's going well so far. This is 1e and my party is a Mixed Circle--I have 2 Solars, 2 Lunars, and 1 Dragonblooded.

Because there are so many factions and groups and politics going on in the setting, there's a shit ton of hooks and threats to a party. A friend who I was pitching Exalted to had a hard time narrowing down themes because the setting is just a melting pot of everything fantasy. I'd suggest narrowing these groups to ones that interest the players. In my game, the main antagonist is a Deathlord who is working with a DB Great House. My players all have ties to at least one of these factions/threats.

I haven't even brought in other Houses, Sidereal factions, spirits, other Deathlords, Fey/Wyld, or other nations really. My PCs who are more geared against the Scarlet Empire have brought up the idea of attacking them, but the other PCs gave a mixed response.

If we continue beyond the Deathlord villain I have now, I'll introduce other DL's and I plan on getting the Bull of the North involved as a possible villain/foil to the characters.
>>
File: 1451003773578.png (83KB, 260x246px) Image search: [Google]
1451003773578.png
83KB, 260x246px
>Freshly exalted solar
>Wyld Hunt closing in on one side
>Deathknight missionaries on the other
>One very angry looking owl glaring at me from the treetops
>>
>>50670665
Spend all that Bp into Dex and Athletics
>>
Does anyone know where the rules for making god-blooded, fae-blooded, whatever-blooded characters are? I couldn't find them in scroll of heroes...
>>
>>50669877
Ok, I think I got the idea: I should create a sandbox settings with factions and threats and let them loose and play to see what happens...
Not sure it makes me feel more confident but I can see how that could work, thanks!

>>50669973
Sounds nice, care to share some details?

>>50670164
I see! I shouldn't care that much about challenges and just let them have fun, at least in the beginning. This will make me get a better grasp of what they can do, and craft better encounters afterwards... That's great advice thank you!

>>50670407
Sounds nice too! How did your players justify the existence of that mixed group?

Here is the kind of game I had in mind before reading all your great answers: I wanted to make a game where freshly exalted solars would be hunted by a group of DB and need to be on a contant run. They would eventually learn about what they are with the help of a Sidereal from the Gold faction.
I would then have brought some DeathLord to shake things up and make the DB ask for the Solars help...

But I now realize that it's way too linear and scripted for beings so powerful: I have to look for other ideas to create a sandbox with existing factions and conflicts and see how a group of Solars would change the status quo ...
Sounds like a ton of work!!
Is there material around to help me in that regard?

Thx!
>>
>>50671449
A point to note about power levels, at least in my experience it feels very odd if the party keeps coming across things that can challenge them in their specialty. Solars are one of the most powerful beings in Creation, especially in their Supernal, and having constant threat in their wheelhouse makes the world seem very odd. Things shouldn't level up with the group in a D&D type way.

There will come threats that can match the Solar in might, but they shouldn't just happen to be where they are, there should be some lead up or, in many cases, the Solars should be specifically going after people or things that are threatening.

Unless the Dawn is looking for a challenging fight, most things are probably gonna roll over. If something does come the Dawn's way that is equal, like a Wyld Hunt, that shit doesn't just come out of no where.
>>
>>50671449
Sandbox games can be more work (at least I imagine so; I've never tried to run a proper one), but I don't think Exalted necessarily has to be run like that. It always pays to give players some freedom and prepared for the unexpected, but I think a well planned and structured adventure can work in any system. Most Exalted games I've seen have been that way, actually: the GM lays out the story and gives the players a goal, either short term (save the village, overthrow a corrupt ruler, escape the Wyld Hunt) or long term (defeat a Deathlord, protect a mysterious artifact while searching for clues to its identity, win a war against a powerful nation), and the players work towards that goal by following the leads the GM sets out for them.

Exalted are powerful, but in my experience, the threat of the Scarlet Empire makes it easy to encourage players to lay low. You CAN run a game about gathering support and overthrowing the Dragon-Blooded, of course, but you don't have to. It can be just as much fun to have the players travel the world to stop a world-threatening scheme without attracting too much attention, or hunt dangerous monsters and bargain for support with half-human tribes and Fair Folk courts at the edge of Creation.

Sandbox games can be hard to do well, but you can give your players and guide the game along without them feeling like you're restricting their freedom. Honestly, as nice as it sounds, absolute freedom can be overwhelming for a lot of groups. Plot hooks, goals, and leads towards them are what drive a game, and not all players are good at coming up with their own. Just don't get too attached to your plans; guide the players towards ways they can achieve their objective, but remember that they might surprise you at any time, and let them be creative in how they approach things.
>>
>>50671449
>Sounds nice, care to share some details?
The gods ruling Great Forks are going to be assassinated in an Abyssal, creating a power vacuum that several factions are going to advance on, including the Realm, some neighboring settlements, and the Walker's Domain. Meanwhile the players are dealing with their own problems - one player is a ninja and he studied martial arts at a monastery under a sifu who will be, early in the game, attacked by a Wyld Hunt that broke his arms and legs as an insult in front of his students, so a quest for vengeance may come of that. Another player is a local warlord who is going to be pressured into a political marriage as opposing powers encroach on them, and has to struggle with the decision despite having a love intimacy toward someone with no political power in their clan. Some other stuff is going on too, lots of refugees are flooding the area due to the Mask of Winters attacking Thorns and people wanting to get away from that region, and they've been so problematic for cities like Nexus and Great Forks that they're starting to be barred from entering, ergo they'll be causing a lot of trouble for the players as they flood the region their holdings are in.

I'm also a player in a game that takes place in Sijan, my circle was there for a variety of reasons and we each Exalted separately, and then a series of events led to the ruling body being forced to step down/dying, so we took the city in a sort of coup and now we're ruling it, and we're currently sheltering a non-violent Deathlord named the Coming of the Storm who is apparently not well-liked by the Neverborn or her peers. Her presence has caused an incredible amount of animosity from the other cities in the region (but we owe her a debt so we're not in a hurry to evict her). During a diplomatic summit that our city was convinced to host, we accidentally got sucked into the Underworld so right now we're trying to find our way out.
>>
>>50669037
>>50669252
>>50669273
>>50669424

Thanks for the link on these anon.
>>
>>50670665
This is what you get for not keeping your Lunar sexually satisfied for two incarnations.
>>
>>50674427
It's her own fault for not taking what she wants from the newb Solar and making him like it.
>>
Is the author of Blood and Fire here?
>>
File: Shield Slave.jpg (76KB, 900x505px) Image search: [Google]
Shield Slave.jpg
76KB, 900x505px
Saw this in the forums and thought I'd ask here. What re shields and heavy weapons good for? Heavy weapons don't seem to be of any use outside of fighting soak monsters, and shields don't seem worth getting at all. Is there any point to them?
>>
>>50679321
>Is there any point to them?
Not really.
You're pretty on point with heavy weapons and shields don't really fit into most of the exalted aesthetic. They do provide a small benefit but that's about it.
>>
>>50679321
I'm giving the stupid answer of fun, I dunno something about a grand goremaul just hits a nice cord in me
>>
>>50679376

Considering they do so much damage, would it be worth it to spam decisive with them, such as using a melee counterattack build?
>>
>>50679442
Honestly I dunno. I'm mostly a ST and as such I try to use decisives either too-early as to not one-shot my players or too late / not at all.
>>
>>50679442
>spam decisive
What am I missing?
>>
>>50680789

Make a decisive attack every turn, regardless of your initiative, probably made easier by having some sort of counterattack build. Accuracy doesn't factor in weapon accuracy, which is the worst stat of heavy weapons.
>>
>>50668975

On the OPP forums someone did the solar charmaet cutting out the dice tricks

No link though. May be best to wait for exigents or dbs
>>
>>50680854
Right, but decisive attacks also don't do anyting with weapon damage, so why would spamming decisives with heavy weapons be any different from spamming them with light or medium weapons?
>>
>>50681083

My mistake, I was reading the rules wrong. Look like heavies really are only good against soak monsters. What a shame.
>>
>>50671234

They're in scroll of heroes.

They're really bad though.
>>
>>50679442

Heavy weapons give no bonuses to decisive attacks.

Clash attacks they do. Plus they get a +2 bonus for it which people overlook
>>
>>50681414

A nice consolation, but it only brings them up to par with single medium weapons.
>>
I'm recruiting for a ERP campaign. I just have two slots available. Who's up? Post Discord or Skype here.
>>
Haven´t been here in a while and I´m prepared for disappointment. Are there still no news for new books? I think the dragonblooded one was next.
>>
>>50683014

The list goes, Arms>Realm>DBs in that order. Arms is in the development stage while the other two are in the second draft stage.
>>
>>50683099
Thanks, I quess. That´s at least good to hear.
>>
>>50682176
What time and day would it run? I'd be interested but it can be hard to actually find time for games these days.
>>
Anytime, any day.
>>
>>50683476
>>50683518
meant for you
>>
File: 1480534193983.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1480534193983.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
...Author here. Didn't post it this time. Huh. But I'm in the thread so I can answer questions, I suppose.
>>
>>50684953
What is a PP?
How would I model my character having the backing of an empire?
>>
>>50685032
PP are the narrative currency of Cortex Plus. In Blood & Fire, they're called "Motes." You can spend them to add extra dice to your pool, keep extra dice for your result, activate your powers, or respond to openings in your opponents' defenses.

What kind of backing? Military? Financial? Depending on the scale involved, I would just represent that by having appropriate Specialties and Distinctions, and using Motes to build resources of the appropriate sort. For larger-scale aid, like getting expendable soldiers to travel with you, performing big military interventions, or things like that, I'd use Unlockables tailored to the character.
>>
>>50685114
All sorts of backing. The character is an empress.
>>
>>50685138
Check page 67, the Unlockable "To Sit Upon a Throne" for an example of how that might work. At the very least, if being an empress is a big part of the character, I'd recommend it being part of her Concept/Caste Distinction.
>>
>>50685246
If my character wants a skyship, what would that count as?
>>
>>50685536
I'd purchase a skyship as an Unlockable as well, probably one that had to be renewed for each story arc. On the other hand, the playtest game I ran of this for almost two years featured a PC with a warstrider because that was just part of his concept. If a thing is integral to a character concept, let them have it; if it's peripheral, make them pay for it with XP.

I'm working on skyship stats in the sourcebook I'm putting together right now, actually.
>>
>>50685589
Mechanically, how would the skyship be? What about that sourcebook? When is it coming out?
>>
>>50685697
Here are my initial notes on a large skyship as an enemy. For a PC-owned one, the character piloting it would use the skyship's Threat and powers, along with his own Distinctions and Specialties, like piloting a warstrider. Most of the SFX listed here would use Motes instead of doom dice.

Command Skyreme
Large Scale Threat 4d10
Distinctions: Airship Command Center; Gigantic and Graceless
Specialties: Ranged Combat d8, Vehicles d8
First Age Airship: Durability d10, Essence Blast d10, Flight d10, Senses d10
•SFX: Command and Control. While Command Skyreme is present in a scene, all other vehicles whose pilots are in communication with Command Skyreme may spend a doom die to reroll a reaction, adding Skyreme’s Senses trait.
•SFX: Direct Orders. Spend a doom die to recover emotional or mental stress for an allied character or team.
•SFX: Essence Shielding. Step up or double Durability in a reaction roll against an attack that would inflict physical stress, or spend a doom die to do both. If the effect die equals or exceeds Durability, shutdown this SFX. Recover by spending a doom die.
•SFX: Focus Fire. Step up or double Essence Blast against a single target. Remove the highest rolling die and keep three dice for the total.
•SFX: Massive Skyship. Spend a doom die to ignore physical stress unless inflicted by a Large Scale Threat.
•Limit: Damaged Systems. Shutdown any Command Skyreme power to add d6 to the doom pool. Recover power by spending a doom die.
•Limit: Limited Targeting. Essence Blast can only be used in a dice pool targeting a Large Scale Threat.

This vast First Age skyship is a command and control vessel for aerial navies. From its decks, an Exalted commander can give orders to his followers, as well as provide artillery support from the ship’s array of essence-powered weaponry. The skyreme has difficulty targeting its weapons against small or fast-moving targets, instead relying on its crew and fighter complement to protect it.
>>
>>50685697
To your second question: no idea. I'm running an Exalted game right now, so I've got motivation to be working on it again.
>>
>>50685920
Where does the book speak of Complications? The formatting is a complete mess my man
>>
>>50686275
Page 17, "Stress and Complications."
>>
>>50686319
>>50686319
How do area attacks work? How do attacking multiple targets work?
>>
So I found the AP podcast Swallows of the South which has me interesting in getting back into Exalted after having some bad times playing 2e. What would you say are the big changes I should be aware of comapred to the previous version? Is it worth it, for one thing?
>>
>>50687258
Almost every detail is different. Biggest change is combat is now Dissidia instead of whatever mess 2e was. Get the core book from the OP and read through it.
>>
>>50687125
This is discussed in the Area Attack SFX. Essentially, you have to use an attack that could narratively hit multiple people. (i.e., "I do a big sword spin that strikes everyone near me.")

If you don't have the SFX, you make your roll with all of your potential targets rolling reactions. For each target past the first, you pay a Mote to keep an extra effect die (e.g., the "keep an extra effect die" function of Motes). Anyone who you beat with your action, you can choose to keep an effect die for at the cost of 1 Mote each.

The SFX lets you pay 1 Mote in advance, but you add an extra d6 to your pool for every target past the first and keep extra effect dice past the first *for free*. That SFX represents an attack that's *intended* to hit a big area (like Iron Whirlwind or a fireball) instead of you just working extra hard to hit a bunch of people at once without any special training.

The NPC version of it just lets them do the "extra d6 per extra target, keep extra effect dice per target" thing without a cost, since it's assumed that NPCs can *only* do that sort of thing if they have an attack that specifically lets them do it.
>>
>>50687363

But is it any good in your opinion? Are the changes improvements? Is it worth it to have another stab at?
>>
>>50687472
Different guy, while I did suffer through playing 2e by knowing most of the potholes, 3e is much more enjoyable to play. There are still problems, every system has them, but in general the system works and is quite fun.
>>
>>50687660
Another different guy, personally I'd consider the social system of 3E particularly nice. Not perfect, but something 3E does better than most RPGs.
>>
>>50689208
Yeah, it's probably the most drastic positive change from 2e to 3e.
>>
>>50687472
I'd say the core book here is an improvement over the core book of 2. But I came into 2e with almost every supplement already out, about a year before 2.5e. I had virtually every book available already. 3e has only the core book, so it feels very small compared to the library of 2e material. For example, there are only a handful of spells, demons, and spirits. All the rest has to be homebrewed.
3e puts a lot of emphasis on homebrew. You're supposed to come up with Evocation Charm trees with your ST for any of your major combat artifacts, and if you're an Exigent then your whole ability scheme is homebrewed.
It wouldn't hurt to try Exalted out again. That said, the devs are very...childish in how they're doing it. There are many basic rules questions that they refuse to answer because they have a fear of issuing out errata, even when it's needed. This means you can expect your players and ST to argue different things work in different ways (like how Hammer on Iron works or what happens when you Clash a magical flurry). I don't think a clear and easily solvable problem that results in your consumers arguing is a good thing, but the devs clearly do.
>>
>>50689723

>like how Hammer on Iron works or what happens when you Clash a magical flurry

I consider myself fairly experienced with 3e at this point, and even so I still have NO idea how this would resolve.

Clashing all attacks maybe, but good lord the dice.
>>
>>50690314
Yeah, having each attack Clash until one side runs out of attacks seems to be the most logical way to me to do it.

But yeah, the dice would be crazy, but seriously, since when has "BUT THINK OF THE DICE" come into the thought process for Exalted? Looking at Craft with all it's ridiculous rerolling, counting successes nonsense.

>captcha SOLARIS

Appropriate.
>>
>>50690354

I'd probably make sure the initiative was split at least evenly as possible between all the clashes for the person doing the clashing at least.
>>
>>50679321
For dual-wielding, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs
>>
>>50690501
Depends on the multiattack Charm, certain ones split the Initiative, others let you choose.
>>
>>50690314
With multiattacks, you clash the first one and defend against the rest.
>>
Pls R8 my Exalted OST, thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kss0Wbc6hCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZakE7iU0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1vqWVXnHJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_t0ZET-hHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAPAgRR-ljI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVBpAikvnHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6G3rokNkuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WVAdT27MdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ltrU5Xd84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuimwzEKq3g&index=10&list=PLEF555A0E1EB18FB6
>>
>>50694333
Add some Dofus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2yI8Ir1y6A
>>
Did the lore in 3e change it so there is also 1 lunar for every sidereal?

I've got two players who both swear that's the case.
>>
>>50694584
Not so far anyway. The only thing that's certain right now is that the numbers of Solars and Lunars isn't quite set anymore. There are "around 300" Solars and "more than 400" Lunars. Maybe they got it in their heads that the extra Lunars are mates for Sidereals? But there's nothing that implies that as far as I'm aware.
>>
How would you define Sidereal Martial Arts to someone who isn't familiar with them, or with Exalted for that matter?
>>
>>50694636
Part of the decision was to make it more flexible. Another part was that Lunars and Solars are no longer this 1:1 bond thing, and making the numbers different also helps that.

If you're butthurt about it, go back to having 300 of each and you're good, and nothing will change, because despite that 100+ extra Exaltations seeming like a big difference, your choice of arbitrary number will not effect your ability to use the books in any way unless you decide there can only be like 5 lunars.
>>
>>50694663
Martial arts train your body to fight to fight other bodies. Sidereal martial arts train your soul to fight reality.
>>
>>50694694
Dude, did I imply anywhere that I didn't like the change? I actually appreciate the vaguer numbers, since it's more in line with the early 1E stuff and makes it a lot more flexible.
>>
>>50694663
Like this:

Regular Martial Arts lets you punch a wooden board in half and jump a hurdle.

Terrestrial Martial Arts lets you punch a tree in half and jump a house.

Celestial Martial Arts lets you punch a fortress wall in half and jump mountains.

Sidereal Martial Arts lets you punch souls in half and jump dimensions.
>>
>>50679376

you treat a shield like a weapon rather than a point of defense. on some captain america shit. don't see nothin' wrong with that, considering it uses Melee just like your presumably one-handed sword would.
>>
>>50694333

>SMT4A, Bombay Royale, JJBA Part 3, The Good the Bad the Weird, Jago theme, NieR

did you steal my south game soundtrack?
>>
>>50694711
I think you're overreacting to the word butthurt, I was aiming that at the hypothetical whiner in the room, not at you.
>>
>>50694844
Fair enough.
>>
>>50694829
A few of these songs were shared on the thread before, so, I might actually have!
>>
>>50694694

i always assumed the 400-some lunars to 300 solars was to match that so many souls were stolen to make abyssals and infernals too? but basic addition makes me retarded so
>>
>>50669037
>"Oramus, the Dragon Beyond the World, and Isidoros, the Black Boar That Twists the Sky both tried to make their own Exalted, and the Yozis were disquieted by the results"
>Oramus making Exalted
I am horrified and fascinated by what could have come from this, but also confused. I thought Oramus was caught in his own wings and couldn't do anything.
>>
What's the punishment for infidelity in the Realm?
>>
>>50695605
Lilith becomes even angrier at you.
>>
>>50695605
Probably nothing as long as you keep it to slaves and concubines, and you don't make it too public. If you're publicly cheating on your spouse with the spouse of another ranking person, then it's probably much more of a big deal. Like, "your houses go to war over this" big deal.
>>
>>50695398

Horrifying and exciting, I can imagine a few ways it could happen. One being that he simply instructed his component souls to do this, that, and the other, or creating his own humaniform jotun to work on it personally, or working from scratch from within his own personal worldbody and then ejecting it when it was done.

Isidoros doesn't seem like the guy to make an Exalt, though. Not enoughforesight or long term patience to pull it off. Oramus, being weird and bizarre even to other Yozi, seems like the perfect guy for it though. Much of the previews have been scrapped anywayy, though.
>>
>>50663491

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?

But it doesn't and I don't.
>>
>>50694914
There were originally 300 Solar Exaltations. When they were released from the Jade Prisons, the Deathlords got 100 and the Yozis got 50. So now there are 150 Solar Exaltations, 100 Abyssal Exaltations, and 50 Infernal Exaltations.
>>
Hey /exg/, anyone got any pictures I can use to represent a fair folk army? Needed for upcoming session. Thanks in advance/
>>
>>50695605
It's almost expected that you're cheating on the person you're married to, because it's not like particularly liking each other was even a consideration for your families when they made the match.

(I mean, it could be but that's far from a given.)

So really, it's mostly a matter of putting forth some obligatory pretense that the two of you are faithful and not banging some other folks on the side, and high society more or less lets it slide as long as decorum is maintained.

Now if you're caught at it and don't have a cover story, you're kind of screwed because you didn't even try, man.
>>
2E mechanics are a clusterfuck even with every piece of official and unofficial errata ever created and 3E is going to remain the emaciated husk of an actual system until Exigents comes out in three years, so what's 1E like mechanically? I'm aware that defense is over-emphasized and it takes forever to kill people.
>>
>>50696057

Don't forget to pop out an heir, even if you're gay.
>>
>>50696102
2 heirs minimum, your House spent a lot on your marriage. That wasn't a gift, that was an investment
>>
An exalted can't exalt again into a 'higher' type, right?
>>
>>50696567
Depends

If you mean game mechanics and fluff - no

But there was a story in the fiction compendium where exactly that happened. A DB double-exalted as a Solar.
>>
>>50696094

I'd rather play 2e over 1e.

Everyone complains about 3e dice tricks, but I find them infinitely better compared to 1e's "Use this charm to gain 3 dice on a dance!" charms.
>>
>>50696579
That story was stupid, and even the designers said it wasn't canon.
>>
>>50696648
I do have a write-up for "prestige class" Exaltations. 1 for each type.
>>
>>50695833
What the Christ are you talking about?
>>
>>50696801
He doesn't like Exalted and resents the OP for assuming he did
>>
File: what the christ.png (104KB, 505x394px) Image search: [Google]
what the christ.png
104KB, 505x394px
>>50696801
>>
>>50696897
I know that feeling, I also dislike it when people start threads about things they're interested to and I'm not and just assume that the people who visit the thread give a shit about its subject matter.
>>
Can twin Dragonbloods exist? I know that exalt reproduction weird with the additional pregnancy months.
>>
>>50666685
>will be quite friendly to whoever's waving the biggest stick nearby at the present moment.
You mean "dick", right?
>>
>>50697000
Well why the hell would you visit the thread if you didn't give a shit about the subject matter?
>>
>>50697513
Anon, I know sarcasm doesn't really work via the internet, but misunderstanding that requires some special quality.
>>
>>50698032
Anon.

Anon I'm sorry, I just woke up that is the only defense I can give.
>>
I really want to get into Exalted, but holy shit, the world just seems so complicated.
>>
>>50698294
It's Dragonball Z set in the China you see in Hero or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
>>
I heard Miracles of the Solar Exalted had errata in it. Is this true?
>>
>>50698781
No, just a revised version with a couple missing charms a
>>
>>50698801

Speaking of Miracles, does anyone have the version with the missing charm? Blade Turning Body Technique, I think it was called?
>>
>>50687413
Should the Caste SFX go into the Charm Powerset? Is it free?
>>
>>50698801
You sure? OP here says there was some errata in it for something related to stealth.
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1016578-exalted-combat-one-year-in-what-do-we-think
>>
>>50698294
It's a complicated setting, but the nice thing about it being so big is that you absolutely can ignore large chunks of it.

The intricacies of Realm marriages are of practically no consequence to one not born there, and it's very easy to engage with them as much (or as little) as your ST wants.
>>
>>50698934
Your Caste SFX is free. It's not part of the Charms power set, but rather "attached" to the Essence die of an Exalted since it's an inherent part of their nature, even more deeply than their charms.
>>
>>50669252
Are the "succubus arts" supposed to represent part of the general charm set, or are they some kind of weird abyssal martial art?
>>
>>50700223

Looks like it could swing either direction, but it lacks a central form charm or capstone that MAs tend to have.
>>
>>50700223

I remember making the entire set for a 2.5e game for a friend.

Good times.
>>
>>50700264
I can't figure out what Ability this would be centered around, it's very strange.
>>
>>50700664

Performance, by the looks of it. Deals with sex an intimacies
>>
Guys I'm worried; I think I might be Desus reincarnated.
>>
>>50701075
There´s no need tp worry Swan. Just stay cllear of your old lunar wife.
>>
>>50701075
Kill her

Kill her before she kills you
>>
File: 1440984582399.jpg (126KB, 465x523px) Image search: [Google]
1440984582399.jpg
126KB, 465x523px
>>50701075

You've got your own personal shapeshifting yandere waifu who could look anything from barely legal to downright MILF. Play your cards right and you could turn every interaction with her into headpat simulator or, if it's that kind of game, a h-doujin.

You'll be living the dream in no time, anon.
>>
>>50701149
>Integrity Supernal

It's already too late.
>>
File: ex lyiecg.png (376KB, 965x695px) Image search: [Google]
ex lyiecg.png
376KB, 965x695px
>>50701097
He has to stay clear of his whole circle. Lilith is a whore. She fucked Dace in one of the books.
>>
>>50701075
Arianna a shit
>>
>>50669088
stupid green dbt
>>
>>50701284
Man, and I thought having Rakshi as a waifu was bad...
>>
>>50698950
Interesting thread I guess. Not full of the usual dicksucking.
>>
>>50701574
Arianna Grande
>>
>>50701284
>Play your cards right
That implies he has Charisma 5, Manipulation 5, Appearance 5, Integrity 5 and all the charms etc...
>>
Can someone explain what Shintais are? New to Exalted.
>>
>>50708304

You know when you fight the final boss of a fantasy game and they go "behold my true form" and turn into a monster? It's that. It's a thing that Infernals have and use when they need to fuck shit up.
>>
>>50708304
Shintai = True Form in Japanese
It's the power of Infernal Exalted in second edition, think of Sleeping Beauty when the prince faced the evil queen and suddenly she turned into a dragon to fight him, that's Shintai.
But Shintai doesn't simply mean becoming fuck huge boss, it also lets you become Imhotep's angry sandstorm and similar stuffs.
Though usually when you activate Shintai all kind of alarm in Yushan go off so be careful.
>>
>>50708401
>>50708430
That sounds really cool. From what I read in the preview it sounds like you get to build your own or something? Or can you have multiple shintais?
>>
>>50669607

For some reason, every time I run Exalted, it always becomes a character drama. Like, the Solar Exalted are mighty and wonderful, but the best way to highlight that is to put them near - well - other people.

Generally, you're expected to win most confrontations, so the idea is to put them in scenarios where there's no need to punch their way out. Romancing the Dragon-blooded Magistrate's daughter, finding a small village and repelling a Fair Folk raid (and receiving the thanks of the adoring peasants), and generally being a wandering hero.

Remember, the PCs are really, really powerful. Four Solar Exalted working together can wipe out a Wyld Hunt, topple a kingdom, or reform societies. I suggest an 'A' plot and a larger-scale 'B' plot.
>>
>>50708686
Apparently in 3e you get to pick multiple Shintai and mix it up in one true form, the Infernal homebrew has a good explanation for it I think
>>
So after spending billions of microseconds I have a thought
What if we scrap Infernal as damned Solar and use Hell Lunar instead? Assuming the Yozi copy the prison of Oramus to trap Lunar and then turn them into their Chosen
>>
File: c7NJRa2.gif (976KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
c7NJRa2.gif
976KB, 350x263px
>>50709538
>Hell-Lunars instead of Hell-Solars
Pic related.
>>
File: 1481704936270.jpg (60KB, 600x702px) Image search: [Google]
1481704936270.jpg
60KB, 600x702px
So what's the highest damage you've seen done in a single turn? I think for my campaign its been about 30+ from somebody who got a really good command roll on his ballista crew to attack a crashed target.
>>
>>50706107
Some criticism towards Ex3 isn't exactly uncommon on he official forum. Sure, they are developer fanboys, but not quite blindly so. I mean, the official forum has spawned a Charm rewrite by someone annoyed by dice tricks and natural language, there are threads currently activr about shields and heavy weapons sucking, and so on.
>>
>>50709662

I managed 126 levels once.
>>
>>50709637
>Both
It will cause more problems, if Hell Solar can henshin into monster then what's the role of Hell Lunar? Transform into smaller stuffs?
If it's only Hell Lunar then they're free to express their selling point aka Transformation, only this time they become more dangerous and crazier.
>>
>>50709840
They have said that there will be more kinds of Infernal than just the Green Sun Princes, and that Akuma won't really be a thing anymore, so it's possible that something like a Hell-Lunar could be in the works, though I think it's more likely that they will just make their own thing.
>>
>>50709887
>there will be more kinds of Infernal than just the Green Sun Prince
>While reworking Lunar, DB, Sidereal, GSP, Abyssal and Alchemical
>While introducing Liminal, Getimian and Exigent
It's like they want to overwork or something
>>
Has anyone actually used any of the homebrew stuff in the OP? If so, how was it?
>>
Where in Creation is most likely to have Sumo wrestling?

My first guess is the Realm, but it's very Chinese rather than Nihon. And Lookshy would consider getting huge and fat a waste of resources.

Also I can't think of a good wrestling MA, outside of the obvious Solar Hero.
>>
>>50710834
Port Calin is very Japanese as described. Nexus probably likes their sports a little bloodier, and Lookshy probably has Greek-style naked oil wrestling.
>>
>>50700664
I remember reading somewhere that they wanted to tie charms to deathlords, the same way infernal charms are tied to yozis, so i figured it was the lover's charmset.
>>
>>50690354
>Looking at Craft with all it's ridiculous rerolling, counting successes nonsense
last Craft roll my group did took 15 minutes.
>>
>>50663491

/tg/, help me rule-lawyering:

We are in Round 2 of EX3 combat. We have 3 Actors A (10 initiative), B (5 initiative), C (4 initiative) :
*) A begins the round and attacks B with a Withering Attack. He hits for 2 damage and therefore gets upgraded to 13 initiative total. B is now at 3 initiative. C is still at 4 initiative.
*) Will B come before C or does B come now first?

This is an old question my group couldn't yet answer under Ex3. We always played in a way where the Initiative order is immutable per Round, and only changes according to Initiative scores after the Round ended.

1) Is there an official answer to this?
2) if not, what are you pro/cons on both variants?
>>
>>50712198
I think B comes before C.
>>
>>50712198
C has the greater initiative now so C goes first. Initiative order is supposed to fluctuate over the course of the turn.
>>
>>50712198
Keeping Initiative static no matter what happens during the round
Advantage:
Easier to keep track of who already acted during the round.
You can't get punished too hard by from being knocked behind enemies.

Disadvantage:
Might be too "safe" as opposed to what the Devs intended.
Doesn't represent you getting knocked around in a fight quite as well.

More flexible initiative:
Advantage:
More decisions in combat as you might want to change targets to make your allies go before them when they otherwise wouldn't.
Can causes crashes easier.

Disadvantage:
More swingy initiative.
Less ahead of time planning possible.
>>
>>50712198
The guy who has the highest Initiative among those who haven't yet acted on that particular turn acts.
>>
>>50712267
>>50712418

These are correct.
>>
>>50712295
>More decisions in combat as you might want to change targets to make your allies go before them when they otherwise wouldn't.

This is the clincher. My players made a great deal of use of this capability in my campaign, with faster, less hard-hitting members of the party taking advantage of early attacks to boot fast enemies down to the bottom of the Initiative ladder and thereby allow the slower, heavy hitters to break them without getting battered first.
>>
Is Ma Ha Suchi less likeable in his current form or in his first age form
>>
>>50713762
More Likeable, due to the fact he'll appearance you into liking him.
>>
File: Complaints.jpg (194KB, 569x629px) Image search: [Google]
Complaints.jpg
194KB, 569x629px
>>50709697
>there are threads currently active about shields and heavy weapons sucking
Oh man that thread about heavy weapons is full of so much pseudo-statistics. Everyone's talking past each other and starting from different points. Some are doing mundane vs mundane, some artifact vs artifact, some with Charms and some without, some mortals and some Exalts. And all this reference to "average" results as the go-to standard. No one's going to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion with that approach.
>>
File: uuo.png (627KB, 1285x695px) Image search: [Google]
uuo.png
627KB, 1285x695px
>>50712198
>>
What does /exg/ think about using a different system for rules, but still use Exalted's setting? The setting is frankly the best I've ever seen, but the rules are such a horrible sell to people who've never tried a Storyteller system before.
>>
>>50715741
Half the groups I know don't use Storyteller rulers. Use Blood and Fire or Godbound's adaptation.
>>
>>50715770
I've been testing with systems I have that my group uses, by trying to emulate statted out NPCs and seeing how close to the tone and scope of the original I can get. And surprisingly, I did pretty well making TUS using MnM.
>>
>>50714680
This part is more useful:

Order of Action
Combat proceeds in rounds, with the characters acting in order of highest Initiative to lowest. Characters with equal
Initiative values act simultaneously. Although a character’s Initiative may shift during the course of a round, she may only take a single combat action during a round. Initiative values persist until something happens to change them, or until the end of the scene. Once all participants in the fight have acted (“Taken their turn”), the next round begins.
>>
>>50716265
I found myself making a quick grid for each fight, with a big space for Initiative and a row of spaces to tick off each round. Worked pretty solidly.
>>
hey folks, designing a devil-tiger and I need help balancing the imperfection. He's basically a mix of Autochthon And Oramus in that he is "he who sculpts the impossible into the actual" so can Someone please tell me if this seems balanced?

>Imperfection of “need to find a name”
>“need to find a name”is the one who sculpts what cannot be into what is, but he has no tolerance for the stagnancy of tradition nor even the tired forms of that which exists outside of his tools, all charms that bear this imperfection have a surcharge cost of five motes for the rest of the scene when used to defend something pre-existing that would not Lead to the creation of something new.
>>
>>50719229
So you only have to pay extra if you're defending something else, and can't think of way to say it would "create something new". That seems far to abstract, and not much of a limit at all. Given the implied theme of the charmset, the Infernal could easily find a way to say that the condition applies to himself, so it wouldn't put him personally at risk. As for defending others, almost anyone or anything could be said to create something new in some way; for example, it would apply to virtually any mortal being, Exalted or otherwise, since it's in their nature to reproduce. If there is a situation where it would have an effect, it doesn't come to mind easily.
>>
>>50719229

That is an extremely nebulous condition, and not much of a tactical consideration. I can think of a way to justify defending almost literally anything with such a Charm, and it'll never trigger in defending the Warlock himself.

Bad all around.

Suggesting something better would require knowing more of his thematics, but maybe something more like "Charms with this Imperfection suffer a surcharge based on the oldest object the Warlock is wearing or wielding," or "Charms with this Imperfection cannot be used if the Warlock has wielded the same weapon against the same foe in a prior battle."
>>
>>50719311
yeah, I thought that might be the case but I'm new to this whole thing.
>>50719324
his thematics are :the eclipse,the impossible, creation ,eldritch energies,Unobtainium, Forging,broken geometries. I like that second onebut how would it work for hand-to-hand stuff?
>>
>>50719398
>I like that second onebut how would it work for hand-to-hand stuff?

Gut instinct, I'd just count "unarmed" as one weapon, so he gets one fight of bare-knuckle brawling against someone and then he absolutely has to have a weapon or he's pigfucked. It's a nasty Imperfection, since it grates against the usual style of "buy an artifact weapon in chargen, don't worry about it for the rest of the campaign," but not insurmountable.

Other thoughts:
Surcharge based on the prevalence of right angles (in a general sense; fighting in a building would impose more of a penalty than fighting in the wilderness, but enemies could bring their own right angles to fuck with him).

I vaguely remember that Creation has two kinds of eclipses, so his imperfection could turn off during the one that goes against his thematics more.

Requiring he wield an object made of stuff from Beyond, but it's tricky to require that without having him just deck himself in it and have his enemies spend so long trying to strip him that he doesn't have to worry about it.
>>
>>50719479
Well to be fair, his anima power is adding His essence in automatic successes to crafting rolls so with One of my planned charms which generates materials and craftsman needs No tools he will be able to make a new normal weapon pretty easily. So it might work and I like the image of a exalt walking around with golf bag full of Bo Staffs but it might be a bit harsh maybe I'll go with the right angles thing
>>
>>50719582
The idea of the Primordials' Imperfections is that they're invincible within their themes but can't prepare for attacks that fall outside of their themes. What would fall outside of his themes in a way that leaves him vulnerable? Him being unable to create something? Something old and repetitive having value?
>>
To save me pawing through the 3e core: Did they basically turn Exigents and the Liminals and Getimien into very vague mentions, designed to be opened up with their own book, not even skeleton rules for play?
>>
>>50723131
>Did they basically turn Exigents and the Liminals and Getimien into very vague mentions, designed to be opened up with their own book, not even skeleton rules for play?
The 3e core only shows how to play Solar, everything else requires your time and wallet.
>>
>>50723156
Figures. Cheers.
>>
>>50723165

WW has a nasty tendency to only put one character type per book.
>>
>>50722706
>Him being unable to create something?

I think we found it or at least getting very close to it, but I'm already seeing too many workarounds, like focusing on shaping combat or deciding that someone they wanted to protect was Perfect for A role in their next play.
>>
>Try to simplify the game by having gear homogenized
>Still have different types of swords that are functionally identical with separate entries
The axes and swords I can sort of get, because you might want a flavor difference. But a daiklave and a reaper daiklave? Is there really a need to have two separate entries for identical magic swords?
>>
>>50663491

I like this map:
http://www.madletter.net/rpg/exalted/Map_v2_final.jpg

Do you guys know of other regional maps useful for Exalted?
>>
>>50723447
Not really. It's just the devs beng themselves, cutting some actually cool things from the leak to save space while still giving slashing sword and straight sword their own, mechanically identical entries.
>>
>>50723447

What's bothersome is how this interacts with the Martial system. A reaper daiklave can be used with Single Point, but a regular daiklave can't? What about Steel Devil, are hook swords actually swords or do they just share the name? Is a weapon defined by its name or its tags?
>>
>>50717438
It's nice that compared to 2E, I just need a single scoreboard.
>>
>>50725099

Hook swords are swords, so I don't see why not.

It'd go real well with Snek and Crane.
>>
>>50727749

Snake and Crane, despite sharing a form weapon and both being defensive styles, use Dodge and Parry, respectively. So there's not as much synergy as you'd expect.
>>
>>50727797

Uh, no?

Crane benefits immensely from Crippling Pressure Point Strike, allowing one to remove entire opponents from a fight with a simple gambit (AND without harming them to boot). Striking Cobra Technique + Armour-Penetrating Fang Strike gives Crane MUCH needed offense in the withering department. Striking Cobra is even better as it literally last an entire turn, meaning it can apply to all your counterattacks.

Trust me, Crane really likes Snek to go with it.
>>
>>50715741
I used BESM3E and M&M3E for a while before sitting down and writing Blood & Fire. I'm using that for a campaign right now, actually.
>>
>>50723210
Considering that they tend to give each Exalted type like 500 frigging charms, it's the only way they could manage it. If they had chosen to streamline EX3 a little bit and cut back on charm bloat, they could have changed their model. But it works as a model for a reason, I suppose. That reason being "money, dear boy."
>>
>>50728253

The only book series that didn't follow it were Adventure! and Scion. WoD and Exalted lines use it as their main method of generating money yes.

On the flipside it does give each splat focused crunch, on the downside well money.
>>
How do you guys usually use higher-circle demons in your games? As bound servants or free entities? If free, who'd they get to the Creation like that? I'm mostly looking for ideas about how to justify an unbound 2CD in the Creation, but will welcome demon-related stories in general.
>>
>>50728498
Yeah, but Scion had the almost-worse model of "you can't level up without the supplements."
>>
>>50723131
As others have said, the core book has rules for playing as Solars and as mortals. Liminals have some basic rules on how their excellencies and mote pools work, but there's only one example NPC in the book. There's also an example exigent. There's absolutely nothing rules wise when it comes to the Getimien.
>>
>>50719229
No, that does not seem balanced at all. How about: Charms with the Imperfection of the Unnamed suffer a five mote surcharge when used for the second or later time in a scene.
>>
>>50728216
How does Anima levels work in your homebrew?
>>
>>50728510
Demons are nearly always bound in my games. A free Second Circle is basically an event on par with a natural disaster hitting a region.

A Third Circle getting loose is a gargantuan threat to Creation; the kind of thing bitter enemies unite against. This is partly helped by my interpretation of those demons; if they get loose, so do their constituent souls...
>>
>>50732365

>A Third Circle getting loose is a gargantuan threat to Creation; the kind of thing bitter enemies unite against. This is partly helped by my interpretation of those demons; if they get loose, so do their constituent souls...

I actually like this idea.
>>
>>50734355
A Third Circle is no more a threat than the Bull of the north after 1 year of preparation.
>>
>>50734411

The difference is what the other anon suggested is if one 3CD comes out, 7 2CD's are also going to follow.

That's a pretty scary thing to fight. I'd rather fight the bull.

Unless it depends that the Bull's Sorcerer buddy also has the 3CD summoning spell.
>>
>>50734477
Do they? I don't think you can summon a 3CD along with their 2CD. And then it's not like they're on the same scale as Kukla.
>>
>>50734798

Well no, when you summon a 3CD you don't get the 2CD buddies, but what I think that anon meant was that when a 3CD escapes (Not summoned, but actually escapes) then all the 2CD's escape with it.
>>
>>50735015
Well shit, if a 3CD can escape then it can possibly bring all of its component souls which is around E5+ to shit on Creation, then again maybe Yushan has some kind of alarm to alert Sids when something like this happens. If a GSP activates Greater Shintai can trigger alarm then surely a 3CD raping an area would give out the same vibe.
I doubt your usual Wyld Hunt can shut down that 3CD though, unless they have sorcery at their disposal.
>>
>>50735173

IIRC, summoning a demon into Creation had a blasphemy effect equal to it's essence. No biggie for 1CDs which happen all the time, but anything higher would be worth investigation. You could easily port that over for escapees.
>>
So this game is pretty damn complicated.
Both the setting and the rules are a lot to take in.
How hard would it be for someone with little gaming experience to DM an exalted game
>>
>>50736348

Certainly tricky if that's what you mean. Part of the reason is lack of a Storytelling chapter.

If its your absolute first experience as a GM, I'd suggest an idiot-proof system like DnD 4e to get your feet wet.
>>
Are Infernals who become copies of the Yozi bound by their surrender oaths?
>>
>>50738315
It hasn't been clearly defined. I think it's one of those things left up to the GM/players to decide for themselves really.

>>50728510
Depends on the demon in question. Ligier for example is generally considered to be alternatively a portent of Bad Times in the future, or the best available craftsman who isn't cripplingly occupied at the moment depending on how well he's bound.

Ipithymia on the other hand is more or less a running joke.
>>
>>50738315
No, since even if they do so they are not Yozi, they still have their Exaltation and such.
>>
>>50738369
>Ipithymia
That's the living redlight district demon isn't it?
>>
>>50738691
Goldlight, but yes.
>>
>>50738691
Yeah. the thing with that one is unless you basically have a whole group of best friends (hah) to tell an , there's only two ways you can go with that one. You can go full grimdark magical realm if only by exploring the ramifications of demonic sex trading, or you can laugh it off. And so far, we've been doing the latter since we're not as degenerate as, say, the average ERP crowd.

She's basically the Sans of our games. Shows up, makes a few cracks about the size of our daiklaves (pity the Sidereal who brought an empty firewand to a swordfight), wanders off when a plot relevant fight breaks out. Incidentally she's probably the NPC least maimed by long term contact with us.
>>
>>50739017
*to tell a mature story with comfortably

But yeah, it's basically the same deal as the random edgy sex stuff some of the Deathlords have going on.
>>
>>50736348
Exalted is a very pro-active way of GMing: while in DnD it is basically enough to throw some basic encounter on your players to entertain them for a few hours, in Exalted there are often more things to consider:

a) why is that evil monster evil?
b) why are the players even supposed to fight it?

There is also a problem with loot. New Exalted STs often look into the panoply chapter and just give out powerful artifacts left and right. DON'T DO THAT. Artifacts have to be rare and special.

Also, speak with your players before the first session and talk about how much and what kind of combat you are planning. In DnD and similar games characters are always nearly 99% designed for combat, while Exalted also includes non-physical encounters. This is an important information for your players.

If you just start playing without any thoughts on this you will probably fail.
>>
are there any good houserules on equipment for Ex3? Especially if you have crafter in the group?

My players prefer to have some kind of multi-tier weapon system (yeah, +1/+2/+3 DnD weapons basically), and who am I to prevent them from having fun?

The lower level (+0) should be normal equipment, the highest level should be current artifact weaponry.

How do I create shades in between?

One trick I have so far come up with: equipment that has gotten lots of experience / use and care can suddenly become a 'lower' artifact, granting a single Evocation. It still has the basic stats.
>>
>>50738315

No, Infernals are explicitly not bound by the surrender oaths of the Yozi. Remember, their power comes from their Exaltations: While the Exaltations have been altered, it's still the core of their abilities.
>>
>>50739351

look, man. you have "mundane" and you have "magical" and both have their own stat blocks.

Creating shades inbetween is petty, but you know what crafters can do? Modify tags.

tag-changing is what I let my crafter players do so they feel like they're making something of their own design rather than going the (awful) D&D method to it.

Of course, trying to bullshit how they work their skills is fun too. I had a firewand user start making dust capsules in a cylinder system in his wand so he could effectively create a flintlock that can fire more than once per other round. he essentially made it a revolver that he stays quick to reload with by preparing ammunition ahead of time that only he knows how to make properly.

Another time, I let him work with a guy's shield to give it the tag goremauls and such have, turning it into a nasty wall of spikes that clubs enemies down.

You're looking the wrong way when it comes to the crafting system, if you see the mundane/magical barrier and think that's the end-all to crafting.

ESPECIALLY when magical are supposed to be a bitch and a half to even make one of. It should take a long time or great effort to even make one artifact, story going into it and all as all artifacts have.

Now, while I (and everyone else) don't approve of the craft system designed to accommodate this mentality, I do appreciate the mentality itself where it should be an adventure to simply repair one artifact, or have one made.

And in the meantime? modifications to mundane equipment should be easy as piss for this character.
>>
Who has a link to the discord?
>>
>>50741340

Should this be in the OP?

https://discord.gg/Bn8EH
>>
>>50740838
thanks. I never even thought of tags as a useful customization tool!
>>
>>50741416

that link, like all discord links that aren't made permanent by an admin, expired after 2 hours or so.
>>
>>50739351

Aside from modifying tags, there is the demi-artifact mode someone mentioned on the form. Alloying weapons with magical materials to give them the same stats as artifacts without the magical powers, all of them being artifact 2 roughly.
>>
>>50742609
To be honest, I'd kind of prefer artifacts to have same stats as mundane weapons, with Evocations and unique attunement bonuses being what makes them so impressive. As a baseline, at least - individual weapons just doing more damage would be fine.
>>
>>50742785

Minimum damage also massively helps
>>
>>50740534
Don't they loose their Exaltation when they become a copy of a Yozi? Not Devil Tiger the other thing where they become an exact copy of a Yozi.
>>
>>50744964
i dont believe it technically says that
>>
>>50745072

It literally explicitly says that:
>(Ebon Dragon) Cosmic Principle (Cost: —; Mins: Essence 10; Type: Permanent; Duration: Permanent; Keywords: Shaping; Prerequisites: First Ebon Dragon Excellency): This Charm shapes the Ebon Dragon’sEssence into a single Personal pool with a capacity of 1,000 motes and makes him immune to aging, but it imposes the Greater Imperfection of Ultimate Darkness on him. Upon learning this Charm, a character loses all non-Ebon Dragon Charms and Combos containing such Charms (and the capacity to learn such powers), converting lost magic into appropriate experience points. If an Exalt, his Exaltation departs as it no longer recognizes him as human
>>
>>50745136
fair enough.
>>
File: indeed, I AM upset.png (811KB, 1146x298px) Image search: [Google]
indeed, I AM upset.png
811KB, 1146x298px
Okay, /exg/. Tell me, truly, honestly; if a character has a virtue of 4 or more, does that mean/enables the player to act autistically about the said virtue?
>>
>>50745414

This sounds like it's part of an ongoing argument so I'll just say this:

If it ever looks like the rules are giving you permission or requiring you to be a disruptive jackass, it's still on you when you act like a jackass. Stop being a faggot and/or stop enabling faggots who use "but it's the ruuules"/"but it's what my character would dooo" as a shield to be faggots.
>>
>>50745414
depends, but usually no. always no when temperance.
>>
>>50745449
But anon, isn't Limit Break all about being a disruptive jackass?
>>
>>50745882

1) No, Limit Break is what happens when you don't trust players to be their own undoing Greek tragedy style. As any GM will attest, it's largely superfluous.

2) Like I said: "If it ever looks like the rules are giving you permission or requiring you to be a disruptive jackass, it's still on you when you act like a jackass."

If there was a rule in an RPG that required you to punch another player in the leg at random, it's STILL you choosing to punch someone in the leg. Chances are the people who sign up for such a game are ready for some leg-punching, but people who go whinging to 4chan about their table arguments (like >>50745414 ) probably aren't in that boat.
>>
File: 1468238934191.jpg (13KB, 235x222px) Image search: [Google]
1468238934191.jpg
13KB, 235x222px
>>50745915
I have to ask; How often do you parties turn against each other?

This is my first game of exalted, and so far everyone's been going on about how great their character is, and most of them trying to play the lone wolf as much as they can get away with it. The party regularly splits off as everyone goes onto doing what they feel like, and the only time I've tried to pull everyone together with some "heroic oath of companionship", I've been shot off. So far we are together more for meta reasons then IC reasons.

I didn't really planned on having my Circle as one of the major threat to my character, when I agreed to this game.
>>
>>50745967

Mine? Virtually never, because we all believe the same thing, and it's a group rule that every character comes with a pre-existing (more or less positive) bond to at least one other character in the group.

"I'm here to prove I'm better than him" is fine, but usually requires a supplementary bond like "and also the Night is really cute."

Anyone who turned and tried to backstab the party over some dumb bullshit would get a "Stop being a dumbass, Craig" until he cut the shit or left. (The party dividing in a dramatic and interesting way is left alone, of course, but you can usually see that shit coming a mile away and get everyone ready for it.)

>This is my first game of exalted, and so far everyone's been going on about how great their character is, and most of them trying to play the lone wolf as much as they can get away with it. The party regularly splits off as everyone goes onto doing what they feel like, and the only time I've tried to pull everyone together with some "heroic oath of companionship", I've been shot off. So far we are together more for meta reasons then IC reasons.

Sounds like y'all got a shity group. My condolences.
>>
>>50746018
>every character comes with a pre-existing (more or less positive) bond to at least one other character in the group
Dang, that's a very smart move

I am a bit annoyed by my group because I know that they can kick my ass. I still have a hard time keeping all the rules in mind, and I've built my character to have a support role, not being a one-man army.
>>
>>50745967
Your Solars will live 3000 years, and thats default without longevity magic.

If your players want to spend 6 months doing their own thing before reforming the circle to do prep for the overall goal of the game, that's fine.
>>
>>50745967
>and so far everyone's been going on about how great their character is
It's pretty much the exact opposite in my game. People keep praising the other's characters, going 'oh wow that was so cool' and so on after a cool stunt by the Dawn, admiring the Zenith's character and so on.
>>
>>50723447
one basically is a european style broadsword, the other is a katana
>>
>>50725099
>are hook swords actually swords or do they just share the name

they're different enough they probably don't work on "sword" martial arts, it's like a halberd vs a spear
>>
So what are everyone thoughts on the Lunar/Sidereal hostilities going on since the Usurpation? Do you think one side has a chance at decisively defeating the other? Do you think one side is or isn't doing enough to defeat the other? Do you think there could ever be any reconciliation? What side do you favour anyway?
>>
>>50749974
>So what are everyone thoughts on the Lunar/Sidereal hostilities going on since the Usurpation?
I like 'em, but I expect the fanbase will flanderize it in their eternal crusade to make every group of Exalts as dumb as possible to reduce moral complexity in the setting and so their own PCs look better by comparison.

>Do you think one side has a chance at decisively defeating the other?
I really doubt it. Both sides are full to the brim with powers and strategies that make decisive victories basically impossible.

>Do you think one side is or isn't doing enough to defeat the other?
Nah. It's a tension, a risk, but it's not really supposed to be a hot war.

>Do you think there could ever be any reconciliation? What side do you favour anyway?
Yeah, but it'd probably have to come from the Sidereals, since they're the ones who ultimately profit if the war is just called off as-is.
>>
>>50749974

I like the Lunars more.

Sidereals are pricks.

Plus my Lunar waifu can change shape into any female I want.
>>
>>50749974
Siddies live in Yu Shan and are control (to an extent) the most powerful nation on Creation

Lunars live in the Wyld and need to mate with animals to survive

Who do you think is winning
>>
>>50753100

The #1 cause of death for Sidereals is "a Lunar."
>>
>>50753107
The #1 cause of death for Sidereals is "didn't read the stars carefully enough".
>>
>>50753100
Or seen from another point of view:

Sidereals live at their job and their job is the world's biggest bureaucracy

Lunars live with all the catgirls and awoos they want

Who do you think is winning now?
>>
>>50753119

I wasn't being glib:
>Q: If I'm making a new Sidereal character, is it generally pretty likely that my previous incarnation was murdered by a Lunar? (Aquillion)
>A: It is generally the leading cause of death among Sidereals. (Holden)
>>
>>50745915
I am not whining, I really want to know.

The whole setting is about everyone being assholes (Primordials, Gods, Sidereal, Solars, Dragon-Blooded), and generally creating problems in the process of solving them (see Exaltations) I want to know if this is how PCs are supposed to be played as well? Should a high Virtue score be similar to OCD, or not?

Unlike in many other systems, I can't just "that guy" people who hoard powers, because that's the default of playing Solars as far as I understand.

So maybe you'll find a way to help a newbie out from your high horse?
>>
Is there any rule to prevent the players from creating more Solar Exaltation?
>>
>>50754324
High Virtues are supposed to be extreme and inconvenient. Exalted is a game of epic people with epic passions. Think of a character who is so devoted to his principles that it forms a significant part of who he is; that's what it's like to have high Virtue ratings.

For example, see Vash from Trigun. He's absolutely devoted to love and peace. He wants to help everyone, and never end a human life. The entire series is largely about the struggle between his idealism and the harsh world around him, with much of the conflict being due to just how ~difficult~ it is for him to stick by his principles even if he ~is~ one of the most badass people on the planet.
>>
>>50754354
>creating Solar Exaltations

there is not even a definition in the books what an Exaltation is. You cannot create something you don't understand.

Even Terrestrial Exaltations are inherently mystical and unique. You can mass-produce potential candidates but not exalted.

On the other hand, I personally think there is nothing special about Exaltations. But that's not what the books say.
>>
>>50754354
You need the assistance of the Unconquered Sun and Autochthon the Great Maker and to sacrifice a great deal of personal power. (The first time the Sun set was upon having made the Solar Exaltations.)
>>
>>50754354
The law of diminishment means whoever does the creating will be permanently lessened by the act, since the power has to come from somewhere. So a Solar trying to make more Solars would simply use up his entire exaltion on making a new Solar exaltion, effectively a zero sum game. Only the Incarna (and Yozi/Primordals) probably have the raw power to make something Solar-tier without being completely consumed in the process, and even they will suffer a massive power hit.

On top of that, the source of the power influences the nature of the Exaltion being created. So actually making more Solar Exaltations would need convincing the Sun to be lessened even more, after the first batch of Solars managed to disappoint him so much he turned his back to Creation.
>>
>>50755309
Nah. Small gods can make Exigents who are stronger than themselves, it's not quite zero-sum, but it is "you have to pay for this irrevocably".
>>
>>50754324
>The whole setting is about everyone being assholes

This assumption is your fundamental problem. Being self-interested =/= being an asshole. Having a strong sense of self =/= being an asshole. Lacking in foresight =/= being an asshole. The whole setting is "about" (if anything at all) the ways people with phenomenal, overwhelming power feel compelled to use it and about how the few things they can't use power to affect will bite them at the worst possible time. Virtues are among the ways your characters are or can be compelled. Having a Virtue at 3 or above doesn't make you a disruptive asshole. It makes you someone who, for all they're able to crush or control, can neither control their own heart nor crush their own selfhood.

Suffering backlash from denying fundamental aspects of yourself is part of the buy-in for the game, but it isn't carte-blanche to be a That Guy.
>>
>>50755365
Exigents get to cheat because the Exigency provides some of the power, too.
>>
>>50755059

Actually Autochton is no longer making the Exaltations.
>>
>>50757189
But he did something like create the Exigence. that's why he has cancer now
>>
How many talents of magical materials does it take to make a daiklave and articulated plate?
>>
>>50758859

Unstated and irrelevant, really.

Yes, I know the things that MAKE MMs measure them in terms of talents and shit, but absolutely nothing about 99% of artifacts cares about how much you have.
>>
>>50754412
>>50755382
I think I am starting get it.

So should I just let high virtues do their thing even when it is unwise? For example chasing minor slavers, when the Circle knows the Infernals are planning something?
>>
>>50758859
>>50758892
In 2e one talent counted as one magical component in making an artifact.

Except Warstriders, which needed fucking mountains of the stuff
>>
>>50758859

The only mention of anything like this is on page 337, which states that it takes 5 talents to make a Grand Daiklave. That's a meaningless statement, of course, because it doesn't take into account the shape or composition of the artefact, nor can it be easily used to guage the amount needed for making other artefacts.
>>
>>50759157

This.

You could make a grand daiklave that's literally just a hilt that shoots out a laser beam. Still 5 talents?

If so, it means the MM requirement isn't based on the construction of the artifact and it's just arbitrary, so who cares?

If not, then you just design your artifacts to use less/zero MM and bypass the concern completely.
>>
>>50758904
You can of course spend willpower to repress your virtue if it's important. You don't go into limit break just from repressing a virtue once and there are plenty of important reasons to do so. But if you start doing it all the time and just because virtues are inconvenient, then you'll be spending the game perpetually in limit break. Sooner or later, you just have to compromise. Satisfy your virtue now, burn a bridge or abandon an opportunity even though doing so is inconvenient, so that when it really matters, when you absolutely need to escape the Wyld Hunt or keep an Abyssal from killing an entire city but your principles are nagging at you, you'll have the leeway to get away with ignoring them for now.

But the thing is, it's not like the game forces you to have more than one virtue at 3 dots or more (which is the point where ignoring them starts getting dangerous). Doing so gives you a bit more Essence to play around with and it used to give you more willpower and it's useful for a few other things, but the decision to invest in virtues above and beyond what the game requires of you is entirely your own. If they're really imposing on someone that much, I have to wonder why they got them so high in the first place.
>>
>>50759224
I meant Circle members.

Which reminds me; what does it even mean to be in a Circle IC? I don't remember reading anything about that. I know it is the equivalent of saying "party", but unlike "Explorers" in Rogue Trader, or "Pantheon" in Godbound, it isn't really self-explanatory.

I am trying to find a reason for a group of Exalted - with little to no common motivation and intimacy - to stick together for another reason than there is only one GM.
>>
>>50759491
>I know it is the equivalent of saying "party",
That's literally all it is. Exalts refer to circles in the same way you'd refer to a group of alllies.

>I am trying to find a reason for a group of Exalted - with little to no common motivation and intimacy - to stick together for another reason than there is only one GM.
Tell them to come back with a reason to work together or they can fuck off.. It's not your job as GM to keep the party together.
>>
File: gee, I don't know.jpg (4KB, 250x139px) Image search: [Google]
gee, I don't know.jpg
4KB, 250x139px
>>50759544
But I am not the GM!
>>
>>50757286
He always had cancer but he used the infinite resources of Creation and the Wyld to treat it while he was in Creation. Now that he is away from those resources and asleep he can't fight it anymore and it is killing him.
>>
>>50759491
>I am trying to find a reason for a group of Exalted - with little to no common motivation and intimacy - to stick together for another reason than there is only one GM.

They keep running into each other. When your natural lifespan is about 3000 years on average, you can go without seeing each other for six or so months and not miss a lot. Call it the Loom of Fate or Sidereal fuckery if you want, but when there's important shit to get done that requires a full Circle of Solars, they just happen to be in the right place at the same time for their own reasons.
Thread posts: 285
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.