[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey all, A question about Pathfinder: How can I make the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: 500px-Tiefling2.png (541KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Tiefling2.png
541KB, 500x667px
Hey all,

A question about Pathfinder: How can I make the best use of the Craft: Alchemy skill? How useful is "Brew Potion"?

I am making a tiefling alchemist with the "grenadier" archetype, and his (fairly solid) backstory involvs him being a shady potion salesman. Just trying to figure out a build that'd fit him best really.

Okay, so I guess the second part of my inquiry: If you had a semi-vigilantee, misanthropist tiefling alchemist living in a large city, how'd you build him up? The amount of info is staggering, I'd love a few suggestions. Thanks a bunch.
>>
I mean, alchemist can effectively be the party healer with potion use, so y'know, pretty good
>>
Mhmm, I was thinking of taking a more RDPS take on it, so not going to play the healer- we have a paladin and druid in the party as is.
>>
well
>go online and find the chemical formulas for explosives.
>Make bombs.
>????
>profit
>>
File: alchemist snake powder.jpg (229KB, 1200x905px) Image search: [Google]
alchemist snake powder.jpg
229KB, 1200x905px
This guide gives you a good idea of which alchemical items are worth crafting: http://lbannenb.home.xs4all.nl/Guides/Alchemy.pdf

Here's the full PFSRD page for alchemical items: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances

There's definitely a bunch of garbage items to ignore and miscellaneous stuff that exists but you'll likely never really use (ink, perfume, etc.), but there are some really useful items you can create for cheap as an alchemist. When you get fast alchemy you barely need any downtime as well.

If your DM uses the poison rules from the Unchained book you should DEFINITELY use poisons more often.
>>
File: alchemist curling mask.jpg (168KB, 359x800px) Image search: [Google]
alchemist curling mask.jpg
168KB, 359x800px
>>50667367
Also, drugs can be HUGELY debilitating to your enemies, often more so than poisons.
>>
File: 1457146584225.jpg (116KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1457146584225.jpg
116KB, 1280x1024px
>>50662930
In almost all cases in PF and its related d20 associates, crafting feats are worth more than crafting skill points. You'll want to take a look at the Unlocked Skill variants to really make Craft, Profession and Performance based characters worthwhile.

That said, you are not by any means denied the ability to take both. Even if your archetype drops Brew Potion in favor of something else, you can just take it as a feat normally as you would any other.

Brew Potion lets you make one Potion (preserved spell effect to be used by drinking) per day as long as their market price is less than 1000gp, or if it's more than that it takes one day per 1000gp in the market price.

Craft Alchemy is still useful for creating mundane alchemical items like acid, soap, and thunderstones. It will also usually let you identify poisons and chemicals and such, which the Brew Potion feat doesn't give you (unless you brew a potion of a spell that lets you identify things but that's just getting recursive.).

If I were going to build a semi-vigilante that relied on FUCKING BOMBS I'd do what I could to see about time-delay effects on my bombs so that I don't have to be there when it goes off or blatantly throw them in plain sight (though invisiblity might help) and generally try to avoid being associated with my actions.
>>
Brew potion is, practically speaking, useless. Not only are potions more limited in their spell selection (cannot have a target of self), harder to actually make (unlike wonderous items you cannot increase the DC to ignore crafting requirements), but they are ludicrously expensive and twice the cost of an identical scroll. Their only advantage is that they don't need UMD to activate.

Keep in mind that every potion you craft is gold away from your expected wealth per level. 16 haste potions cost the same as a cloak of resistance +5.

If you're going alchemist I would recommend focusing on your class spells and bombs, or going vivisectionist to make better use of your mutagen.
>>
File: 1440296909652.jpg (148KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1440296909652.jpg
148KB, 1024x1024px
Everything about Pathfinder is terrible. The game has zero redeeming factors. Fighters as a class literally do not function, you literally cannot play a fighter. Monk is in there as a joke class and a rogue is about the same level, as are all the other martial classes. If you are playing anything but a druid, cleric, or wizard, you are retarded. Sorcerer is completely broken. The class does not function. Also, 95% of the feats in pathfinder are useless. The only feats worth taking are metamagic feats, augment summoning, and Natural Spell. The other feats literally do not function. Weapon Focus and power attack are jokes of feats, as are vital strike. A wizard can beat a fighter 100% of the time from 1st level so there is not even any point to having fighters in the game as adversaries unless you want to farm free XP.

I have no idea why anyone would play Pathfinder. Hoenstly alchemist is a tier 6 class so you are better off waiting for them to add an alchemist class to D&D 5e (a FAR superior game is EVERY possible aspect) than even trying to play a class that might be even more broken and useless than fighters.
>>
>>50668141
sorry I haven't been on /tg/ in a while, is this the new copypasta
>>
>>50668141
Obvious bait is obvious, but the least you could have done is look up the stuff that's actually broken in pathfinder. Nothing is worse than having to share an opinion with people this stupid, I wish I could commit suicide for both of us.
>>
File: 1454920735125.png (80KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1454920735125.png
80KB, 500x501px
>>50668141
>>
>>50662930
The answer to all questions about pathfinder is play 3e instead.
Pathfinder is a step back in every way except the capstone abilitys you get at level 20
>>
>>50668141
>D&D 5e (a FAR superior game is EVERY possible aspect)
Lol no
Pathfinder is bad but its not at 5es level of bad
>>
>>50668935
There is literally nothing wrong with 5e.
>>
>>50672054
>advantage
>heavy limits on magic item use
>removal of xp costs for the most powerful spells
>advantage
>monsters are no longer built like pcs
>unlimited use cantrips
>advantage
>clerics are now favoured souls fluff wise
>advantage
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.