[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best System to Run an Arcanum Campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Ym6052o.jpg (40KB, 248x300px) Image search: [Google]
Ym6052o.jpg
40KB, 248x300px
I love the setting and technology vs magic mechanics, and want to run a game based on it.

Problem is, I have no idea which system would be easiest to use. Especially for magic and tech cancellation/disruption.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>50661210

To my knowledge, there is no such tabletop game.

Tephra might come close; problem is, it's overly complicated shite.
>>
>>50661210
The magic/tech is extremely limited in game compared to what a little bit of creative thinking will get you. I think something like savage worlds would work well, where you have a basic framework for making any particular kind of power. Start with something like that, seed your players with ideas for common spells/tech, and homebrew some kind of spell resistance/text resistance. I could it being fairly simple--an extra counter that goes up the more invested you are, which detracts from or adds to die rolls. Used benchmarks; do the same. Every X points gives you an extra die or bonus for healing/damage or reduces cost
>>
Iron Kingdoms perhaps?
>>
>>50661210
In arcanum lore the interactions between tech and magic weren't particularly consistent, just violent and spectacular. In game it was mechanical negatives, and occasionally a quest plot point. Depends on how you want that to come across.

It seems like you'd better off using something more narrative that will have mechanical effects in abstraction but leave it to you and the players knowing the universe/fiction. FATE stands out as an obvious blanket suggestion.
>>
File: wolsung.jpg (334KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
wolsung.jpg
334KB, 900x1350px
>>50661210

Includes Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, Humans, Elves, Orcs, and Trolls as playable races, has options for spellcasters and technological savants. The balance aspects of Arcanum of Technology vs. Magic would have to be handwaved in but this seems like a good start.
>>
>>50661210
If you have a odd setting like arcanum - there is a simple rule.

GURPS is the way to go.
>>
>>50661210
It's simple.

GURPS.

The sheer amount of shit required to even try playing Arcanum as tabletop means you need a generic. And given how extensive magic in GURPS can be, it's the only way to handle it.

>>50664357
Get lost with that piece of shit. It's pretty much Dungeon World: Cogfop Edition
>>
File: 1447806835818.png (96KB, 519x370px) Image search: [Google]
1447806835818.png
96KB, 519x370px
>>50664357
>Wolsung
I'm still trying to forget I've played this abomination. Are the creators really that unironically racist and so fucking inept in basic math or they were just pretending?
>>
>>50664960
The fact that you think Wolsung and Dungeon World are similar really tells everything about you and GURPS autists in general.
>>
>>50665177
>Complains about autism
>Doesn't understand what hyperbole is
Not him, but the irony is pretty strong.

And the game wishes to be at least half as "good" as Dungeon World.

Seriously, this is one of those cases when I'm questioning the "based Polish devs" meme. Wolsung was such a massive clusterfuck I'm not even sure what the hell they were thinking.
>>
>>50665291
I understood the hyperbole. I was pointing out it was a shitty hyperbole and you agreed with me for the rest of the post, so I don't know what the fuck you're on about.
>>
Use GURPS with GURPS Steampunk, High Tech, and racial templates from Fantasy/Dungeon Fantasy and you are set.
>>
>>50664357
>Cog Fop: The Game
I think I'm gonna pass
>>
>>50661210
Shadowrun has magic not working around tech. And apparently high tech is harder to get working in high mana zones(nuclear power plants are far less stable in high mana zones).
>>
Castle Falkenstain

GRUPS suits all, so suits nothing.
>>
>>50666055
>I don't understand how to use generic systems: the post
Seriously, what the fuck?! OP asked for a game able to run Arcanum, the way how Arcanum is. Pretending it's possible while using game that wasn't custom-made to be Arcanum is just insane.
>>
File: GURPS Toxic memes.png (1MB, 861x1169px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Toxic memes.png
1MB, 861x1169px
>>50666055
>Master of none
When will this meme end? It's not like there exists a decent official Arcanum RPG that has everything OP is asking for out of the box, while GURPS legitimately does what he is asking for, especially when it comes to magic.
>>
>>50661210

...so, GURPS.

Now, to be a bit more helpful - the sjgames forums have a couple of Arcanum threads which ponder on the magic/tech balance and IIRC do some racial templates.

The new Steampunk book handles that side of the flavour, and the old Steamtech book has a lot of the gadgets. High Tech has most of the gear.

The basic Magic system is a good fit - it has colleges and spell effects quite similar to Arcanum's, so you wouldn't need to change much there - though it could be done with Sorcery instead (or as abilities).

The magic-vs-tech thing is fairly straightforward in some respects, but it really depends on how hardcore you want it to be, and all the rules notes you might want to check are in Thaumatology.
>>
>>50666055

>Castle Falkenstein

Which is funny, because GURPS: Castle Falkenstein is the best version.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.