[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Odd Character Backgrounds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Thinking of running a half orc who was raised by gnomes; not sure how this would affect him as a character, though. Anyone else think of something like this?
>>
So half orc, half gnome?
>>
>>50656653
>I want to declare an absolute, but I don't know what the effect of that absolute would be

So you're thinking of running a gimmick for your character?
>>
File: goodkek.gif (4MB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
goodkek.gif
4MB, 680x383px
Well you're basically taking a super intimidating dude and giving him a sense of humour. I can't help thinking he'd basically just pull the Goodfellas routine over and over, except sometimes he's actually mad. Really keep em guessing.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>50656653
Another thing, anon. WHY was this character raised by gnomes and how did they treat him.

That would have a big effect on his character.
>>
>>50656653
Someone in my current party is doing that.
>>
>>50656653
Funny. One of my characters was a gnoll raised by gnomes. Gamm (Ghash) Glitterdust. CG. Used half-orc stats, was an eldritch knight. He acted like a surly nerd but was a softy at heart. Became an adventurer after his gnollish instincts drove him to make his own way in the world, get his own pack, maybe satisfy some of his need for killin'.

Second was a westaboo samurai. Dual wielded- longswords. Ranged weapon- musket. Ran away to the West after he prevented his daimyo from massacring a village (by setting loose the horses and kicking him in the dick.) He loved the free exchange of ideas and comparative racial mixing in the West, and never wanted to leave.

I'm not sure if either of them were good ideas or incredibly retarded. But my fellow players didn't seem to mind.
>>
>>50657879
He could be comparatively more intelligent. Aptitude for physical action and good education could make him inclined to a magic/physical class.

Maybe he's surly, but like a surly nerd- he's dismissive of others' competence, kind of defensive about being an outcast, but able to form close bonds with those who share his interests.
>>
File: 1466824202832.png (197KB, 250x500px)
1466824202832.png
197KB, 250x500px
>>50656653
I once played a FS sorcerer who was tricked at a young age by a prankster pixie into believing that she was a fallen angel from heaven. My sorcerer never figured out that was a lie, and thus lived the rest of her childhood getting teasing from other kids and progressively more worried looks from her parents. Coincidence or not, she had FS sorcerer powers, and thus went on the campaign in order to "return" to her "true" form. I had a fun time playing that madwoman.
>>
>>50656653

Every one of my characters ends up having an odd backstory. The eldritch being who ran away from home to find a world whrere his people won't be driven insane by the very surroundings themselves, the old-school Shadowrun decker with a wild sprite companion thrown into a high-fantasy-with-steampunk setting because loldragons,
the summoner guy with great potential in all the forbidden or restricted schools of magic,
the average swashbuckler girl who hates her mary sue-tier parents for being too overprotective...

For your case, though, i guess you could have him be really interested in tinkering and fine mechanics. Make him a mad scientist!
>>
>>50656653

Things gnomes are good at:
>tinkering
>magican
>growing moustaches

If you encouraged a half-orc to do these things, would they bring anything unique to the table? Magic, probably not, but they'd still learn a bit. Tinkering? Hell yeah, everything just happens to have sawblades coming out of it
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.