[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix BattleCON? inb4 dead game is dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Flarechild.png (2MB, 800x741px) Image search: [Google]
Flarechild.png
2MB, 800x741px
How do we fix BattleCON?

inb4 dead game is dead
>>
I wasn't aware BattleCON needed fixing.
>>
I'm still waiting for them to release the online version.
>>
The only thing that kept BattleCON from being a knockout hit was the business model. The way they sold it -- large, deeply discounted boxes packed full of characters -- was very consumer friendly, but gave retail stores absolutely no reason to care about the product. And in order to get a competitive scene going, that last bit is absolutely crucial. Retail stores are the only reason competitive scenes happen.

If they had released BattleCON with a ~10 character "starter kit" and then individual character boosters LCG style alongside a functioning set of tournament rules with support for retail stores then you would see a thriving competitive scene for the game. It definitely merits it, it really is that fucking good. But as it is, BattleCON has no incentive, no carrot for retailers to give any shits about it, so they aren't incentivized to help run and set up tournaments, so they don't. And so it remains a game with incredible potential that almost nobody plays.
>>
>>50653147
To be fair, BattleCON was released in waves. There was the core game, War of Indines. Then there was Devastation of Indines, which no less than doubled the roster. There's been more expansions since, including rebalanced characters.
>>
>>50653215
Well, the problem here is that the releases are so spread out and so sparse that there's no promise of future sales. Anybody who is interested in the game on a competitive level already has all the content for it, and there's going to be at absolute most one new sale to these people a year, so why would a store go through the effort of trying to court this audience? It's a lot of work in exchange for little -- if any at all -- additional sales.

When designing a competitive game you, unfortunately, have to consider the ecosystem in which it will exist. They didn't do that with BattleCON.
>>
>>50653291
Which is often why people who are interested in the game will go directly to the devs or some other online reseller to secure the game. Right now on Amazon, you can get all three core waves of the game (War Remastered, Devastation, Fate) for $115.75 USD. That's for ~58 characters in what amounts to a 1v1 competitive card game that's meant to replicate 2D fighting games. And that's without the smaller expansion packs.
>>
>>50653429
This is what I'm saying, yes. Anybody can go get the whole thing for cheaper from an online retailer. There's no sales for a physical retailer to gain by courting this market with tournament support -- and so they don't do that, and the game doesn't get tournament support as a result.
>>
>>50653147
>The only thing that kept BattleCON from being a knockout hit was the business model.
Exactly my thought. The game is nothing short of incredible. They need monthly or bimonthly releases to keep and generate interest.

Kit construction would be icing on the cake to generate hype and make your character yours.
>>
>>50654924
I'm thinking something like Netrunner where each pack contains an ID(new or alternate) with the unique base/finisher) and some style cards. In total, maybe 8 cards. Less if you allow for customization.

If pay $10 for that.
>>
>>50654996
I don't follow.
>>
>>50655083
For me, there are a couple of options that hinge on whether or not kit construction is a thing (something as simple as "only one of each color/shape" and maybe an influence point system.

If some form of kit construction is allowed, then the game can be sold almost identically as Netrunner: A few "core" boxes (about the size of Fate, less than War/Devastation) that form the core cast. As releases come out, they both expand the core cast as well as introduce new characters. For example a given pack may focus on a single character (say Kalistar, above) but give supplemental cards for other characters (say a yellow for Khadath and a orange for Hikaru). Packs could even group by in-lore factions.

But even if kit customization is not a thing, the above could still work as a distribution method. Basically it boils down to releases every month or every other month with a tournament "cooldown".
>>
>>50652296
By turning it into Yomi
>>
>>50657355
YOU FUNNY GUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fENgvKRqMKA
>>
>>50652296
For starters, fix the ugly ass art.

Butch looks like a retarded rabbit
>>
>>50660053
There's a trailer?

Huh. Will have to watch that when I get home.
>>
>>50660608
It's trying to go for MAXIMUM SIMPLICITY like Rising Thunder was. For example, to tech a throw, you literally push nothing.
>>
>>50660630
I know. I have been following the development. I just hadn't known about / seen the trailer yet.

It looks promising for my normie friends for the annual xmas LAN.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.