[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 24

Pact Magic Edition

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50641298

How do you avoid the edgelord pitfall of the warlock class?
>>
dice+2d6
>>
>>50649305
>How do you avoid the edgelord pitfall of the warlock class?

pact with the Archfey

play Mary Poppins
>>
>>50649305
Make their patron a flaming homosexual that shows up at the worst times.
>>
I need a ruling.

If a samurai get double advantage, does Rapid Strike use all or just one instance of advantage?
>>
>>50649356
My friend who does drag in real life is having a ball playing a Fey Bladelock like this. All of his somatic spells involve voguing really hard.
>>
bros, bladelock UA fix when? they made one for rangers...
>>
>>50649442
There's no such thing as "double advantage", they don't stack
>>

Im not sure, nobody in my game is one.
>>
>>50649442
rapid strike would use up all and any instance of advantage. there's no such thing as stacking.
>>
>>50649305

Don't build the personality of your character around their patron
>>
File: Hellenrae.png (115KB, 312x611px)
Hellenrae.png
115KB, 312x611px
>>50649176
If I were to make it a solo encounter I'd certainly give her proficiency in Dex and Wis saving throws at the very least. Possibly outright immunity to certain conditions, because I feel only legendary creatures and people should have legendary resistances.
>>
>>50649305
Chain pact, play it like a buddy cop movie.
>>
>>50649442
You can only gain one advantage however many effects stack. Equally, one disadvantage.
>>
>>50649478
Yeah. Legendary resistance wouldn't really cut it.

The problem with proficiency in dex and wis throws it that would simply be that the save-or-die saving throw is less likely to work, but will still screw everything over if it does work. But, then again, I'm not sure if level 3 characters could do 75 damage in one round even if all their attacks autocritted and hit. A half-orc barbarian would do 3d12+strmod, sure, but.. Eh.
+wis saving throw here is pretty much mandatory either way.

Fortunately they have acrobatics proficiency which would make grapples a little harder unless they have a dedicated grappler.

Outright immunity to, say, stuns feels like it might not be too well justified, though. It should be fine in the end, I guess, though.
>>
>>50649356
>Fiendlock of HIM
>>
>>50649588
Well hold person is 1 minute long so they could always do it over 1-10 round depending how hard she's failing saves.
>>
File: ssaq.jpg (365KB, 707x707px) Image search: [Google]
ssaq.jpg
365KB, 707x707px
How many of you give you BBEG legendary actions?

how many legendary actions
>>
for my DM's last session, since we finished our campaign today, he's going to let us play a level 20 oneshot next week

I rolled 1d12 (got wizard) 1d8 (Got Divination) and 1d100 (Got Hobgoblin-luckier than I expected)

I had to use standard array of course, but what do you guys say my build should be for now?

I mean, Lucky feat portent and foresight are a given, but divination spells themselves aren't all that breathtaking.
>>
>>50649710
>lel your save-or-suck just vanishes into the ether, better burn him down with trash spells first :D :D :D
I just give my BBEGs multiple initiatives.
>>
>>50649710
i give all enemies minimum 3 legendary actions from the get-go. it makes the game a lot more exciting
>>
>>50649756
Legendary actions, not Legendary Resistance you fucking wad.
>>
>>50649753

I also rolled for Background, and got City Watch
>>
>>50649710
I don't stop there, I give his lieutenants 1-2 legendary actions, even if it's something like a souped-up hobgoblin with the ability to summon a goblin firing squad as a lair action. It's videogamey as fuck but I love doing it.
>>
>>50649771
When you have multiple initiatives you can perform legendary things with a normal Action : )
>>
>>50649681
With +wis to the save, they're a lot less likely to fail two saves in a row. If the hold person is cast right after their turn though and they do fail two saves before succeeding, that's seven full player turns where they're paralyzed and then 4 full player turns where they're not paralyzed, but are waiting to have a turn. That'd be enough to kill them.
But, yes, with +wis they might get unlucky and fail one save, but succeed the other and get to fight. That'll still be pretty dramatically fight-changing with them losing a turn and spending most of a round paralyzed.

If the party has a portent wizard however who has any low portent dice, they're screwed.
>>
File: monk.jpg (133KB, 543x800px)
monk.jpg
133KB, 543x800px
26th for monk UA tomorrow.
>>
File: 4.png (6KB, 99x103px)
4.png
6KB, 99x103px
>>50649798
Why not both
>>
>>50649836
>fey monk
>battlemaster monk
>undead monk
>>
>>50649866
Can we stop with this stupid meme
>>
>>50649917
no
>>
>>50649917
>meme
>stupid
>stop
pick none
>>
>>50649710
One of my final boss designs was an elite squad (the real BBEG behind them who may or may not be on board isn't particularly grandly powerful, they're just influential) that mans an armoured vehicle.

As such, that'd be about one turn per thing on board, limited by what the people on board can do (they can't use a weapon twice on one turn, naturally, so depending on how players are positioned it might essentially lose 'legendary actions').

Another earlier boss had a modified version of haste which allowed them to also act on initiative-10, but with a limited number of things they could do. They also summon shade-like beings which act on their own accord, so even if you did subdue them they essentially have goon back-up.

Had one accidental boss that was excessively tough for the level, but it didn't have all the usual BBEG protections or legendary actions and all that. It was slow. It was stopped primarily by a team effort to down it to a prone position.

I feel kind of bad that none of the concepts/things that happened actually had legendary actions, but for sure I would have used it in other cases. Legendary actions are quite nice, I think.
>>
>>50649917
Are you implying that Arcane Archer wasn't both Fey and Battlemaster Fighters?
>gets its magic from elves, which came from fey
>it's just two maneuvers / rest

And Samurai was clearly the Undead Fighter
>resistant to physical damage
>breaks off mind-affecting spells
>gets a free turn when reduced to 0 HP so it can stay alive and kick your ass more
>>
>>50649866
Surely they won't be that lazy.
It'll instead be
>anti-fey monk
>undeath powered monk
>a fucked up wot4e rebalance that makes it op as hell
>>
>>50649798
Entire full turns beyond two turns a round is stupid.

Legendary actions are designed to be simply single pieces - A single move, a single attack, a single X or Y. If you let them do too much, it breaks down any sense of tactics as they become too versatile.
>>
>>50650042
>making WOT4E overpowered
I don't quite know how they'd manage that unless they decided 'oh, spells should all cost 1 ki!' and then give them wish as 1 ki or something stupid.

Or, they might ditch the psuedo-spellcasting entirely and make it actually good. Hopefully it'll include those elemental cantrips so monks can fight using literal tonnes of water.
>>
>>50649305
>rangers from the phb are UP
The hunter in the party is getting like +9 to hit with ranged attacks and nearly one shot a party member with a critical fail that dealt normal damage.
>>
>>50650042
We already have an undeath powered monk in the SCAG though.
>>
>>50650105
>Critfail hits an ally instead
Damnit anon, do you have any idea the can of worms you've just opened?
>>
File: vomit dark souls.jpg (154KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
vomit dark souls.jpg
154KB, 621x621px
>>50650105
>nearly one shot a party member with a critical fail
What kind of asshole idiot DM uses critical fumbles?
>>
>>50649305
With enough backstory you can do some pretty bright stuff. At least for a while. Mine Old One Tomelock started as such:
>Be from noble family known for it's draconic sorcerer bloodline.
>Anyone who doesn't manifest sorcery is still taught basic wizardry to keep up appearances.
>10 int, she's really bad at it.
>Eventually finds a book in the family library that teaches her how do magic in a way she actually understands.
>Uses it to fake passing her tutoring.
>She keeps finding more and more stuff in the book as she levels, all while pretending to be a wizard and doing her best to help her family's subjects.
The best pawns of the Great Old Ones are the ones who don't know they're pawns.
>>
>>50649972
Neither of those points are true
>>
>>50650105
>nearly one shot at least 3rd level PC with 1d8+4 damage
I find that hard to believe.
>>
>>50650177
Are you the mirror image of my sorc char?
Again a noble but from warlock only family who turned draco sorc when the genes from few generation old experiments activated.
>>
>>50650184
But they are.
>>
>>50650396
But they're not... trying to interpret the Arcane Archer as a Fey archetype and the Samurai as an anti-undead archetype is an idiotic, memey attempt at (You)
>>
>>50650105
How?

Did they somehow shoot the wizard who has hardly any HP?

If they're a hunter, they must be at at least level 3, they'll have a lot more + to hit than + to damage. I suppose if the wizard was missing only 1 HP, they could deal an extra 1d8, but it's not one-shotting them from full HP.

I'd excuse critical fumbles if there's a reason (there's a fumble check roll that means there's less than a 1/20 chance of fumbling, you can only hit a teammate if you fire into melee combat or through their square or over a long distance and near a teammate, etc).
>>
What's the best thing to use for a quick monster stat block if you need a barbarian enemy? Rage and all.
>>
>>50650433
>LITERALLY gets its powers from Fey
>LITERALLY has all the hallmarks of Undead
>not Fey and Undead archetypes
anon please
>>
>>50650105
a bow fighter would get the same bonuses and damage, only earlier

ranged characters are OP, not rangers
>>
>>50650310
>>>
> Anonymous 12/11/16(Sun)15:33:23 No.50650310 â–¶
>>>50650105
>>nearly one shot at least 3rd level PC with 1d8+4 damage
>I find that hard to believe.
Maybe Con was his dump stat
>>
>>50650442
The berserker with rage, perhaps? Monster manual pg 344
>>
>>50650448
Elves aren't fey you braindead autist
>>
Can a PC solo rakshasa ?
>>
>>50650442
Berserker stat block. If you need it a bit tougher: Gladiator, Champion, or Warlord. Don't bother with rage, they have enough HP that it won't make that huge of a difference either way.
>>
>>50650569
>doesn't give PC level
Yeah sure why not
>>
>>50650514
>>50650575
I must have completely skimmed over that, I was looking for something called 'Berserker' word for word.

Thanks for the page number. I'll probably just increase HP and give it the brute trait, then.
>>
File: 1 (YOU).jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1 (YOU).jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>50650448
>>
>>50650553
>elves descended from fey
>inherited all their powers from fey
>using elven magic is basically magic from fey
I bet you think we didn't get cars from fucking fish, either. Who's the real retard here?
>>
>>50650569
It has 110 HP and a vulnerability, so sure. Some players could kill them in a single round.

However, the more reliable tried-and-true way to do it is to simply use a monk with two levels in portent wizard to gaurantee their instant kill ability to work.
>>
>>50649305
Don't pick Fiend or Undying. Or if you do play them as charming devils, you're a CHA caster after all.
>>
>>50650672
Alternatively, you just just make a character whose personality doesn't reflect the nature of their Patron.
>>
>>50650752
>you just just make a character whose personality doesn't reflect the nature of their Patron.

This x 1000
>>
>>50650752
This. I made an Undying that was just WAY in over their head and it was super fun.
>>
File: 1440619596068 (1).jpg (173KB, 569x569px) Image search: [Google]
1440619596068 (1).jpg
173KB, 569x569px
What does tg think about intermingling adventures?

I've dropped in a few chapters from other books as sidequests or dungeons randomly throughout SKT.

Now I'm running hotdq for the same people and they're going to recognize at least one of the major dungeons.

Should I just rerun it since I can trust them not to metagama, or should I rework it to be different?
>>
>>50649343
This.
Fey warlocks are objectively the best archtyoe to play, and have party members of
>>
New player here, looking at Chromatic Orb. Since it lists a diamond worth 50g as a material component, that both means that I can't component pouch it, AND it's lost every time you cast that spell, right?
>>
>>50651312
You only lose it if the description says that the component is consumed.
>>
>>50651312
The diamond is not consumed by the spell, so you can reuse it as many times as you want
>>
>>50651312
You can't component pouch it, you need a 50gp diamond. But you only ever need the 1. If it consumed the diamond, it would say so. All other spells that consume their components state so.
>>
>>50651158
Spice it up, so it seems the players encounter things they haven't seen before. 'Oh, I didn't know there was a secret area here.'
'Oh, the route we took last time had a cave-in?'

Heck, bonus points if you leave the remains of the party's last adventure in there. 'It's the corpses of those guys we killed before, but they've withered away to skeletons'.

It'll just be them sitting in silence, suffering as they try to pretend they haven't seen the spoilers to the movie.
>>
What do you guys think of a Dwarf Bladelock dumping Cha and basically just playing as a martial who can cast some rituals if needed? Not playing past 10 most likely.
>>
>>50651402
Why not just play a Fighter with the Ritual Caster feat?
>>
>>50651402
It's literally impossible to do.
Since you can't actually ritual cast spells and be a blade lock, that's pact of the tome only.

If you pick up the ritual casters feat though you can do it with any class. So I would probably make a fighter that does what you are thinking but with that feat instead.
>>
>>50650177
My Fiend Pact Warlock comes from a family with a staunch tradition of being Wizards.

>Be from line of wizards.
>Not dumb, but kinda clumsy and ditzy.
>Really likeable though.
>Tries to summon and bind devil so she can surprise-impress her father.
>Fails utterly in binding it.
>Breaks down crying in front of devil.
>Devil awkwardly takes pity on her and makes her a Warlock.
>Can finally do magic.
>ADVENTURE!
>>
>>50651402
If you really want that fluff of "martial who can use some spells when needed", just go V.Human Fighter, and take Magic Initiate. Outside of the "required" spells, which is literally just Shield and Absorb Elements, take a bunch of useful cantrips like Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Friends, Find Familiar, etc.
>>
>>50651382
>>50651358
>>50651336
So I guess it has the specific component despite being 1st-level to cover the fact that it does such large amounts of damage?
>>50651505
>>50651450
>>50651402
Why not EK?
>>
>>50651402
Still sounds very much like 'I'm picking a feature that does nothing other than give me martial weapon proficiency and allow me to use an invocation to get extra attack, even though everybody else gets extra attack anyway'.

Not to mention, warlocks can't cast rituals unless they're tomelocks or have something else.
>>
>>50651400
Well the other option is one of the many optional chapters in SKT just swapped in.
>>
>>50651543
>>50651402
I mean, to word it better
'I'm picking that feature and trying to find a way to make it viable, but dwarf gives strength and medium armour proficiency so why not?'

And the reason why not is because then you won't have PAM until level 4. And then you won't have an ASI. But, I guess that's only -1 strength over human. Yet, that -1 strength is kind of worth 2 strength when you consider that 15+2 = 17 and a human would have 18.
So, in the end, multiclassing still sounds kinda better, but eh.
>>
>>50651560
I'd still do it anyway, but change things up so that it's a 'revisisted' sort of experience.

>>50651585
Eh, on third thought dwarf is still fine. Probably one of the better options for bladelock.
Bladelock still sounds way too silly, though.
>>
What are the best multiclass options for each class?
>>
>>50651743

Every class:

fighter 2
>>
>>50651743
1 Warlock Undying light X Sorc Faithful 4xGreenFlameblade attacks each round with +10 dmg to second targets on them
>>
Im looking for a name/art for a magic item im making, a glove/pair of gloves that can cast grasping vine once per day, and thorn whip at will
>>
File: icon_item_gloves_vine.png (18KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
icon_item_gloves_vine.png
18KB, 256x256px
>>50651820
Gauntlet of the Creeper
>>
>>50651812
How is someone casting 4 cantrips a turn?
>>
>>50651743
2 fighter, 3 warlock, 17 sorcerer for 12d10+60+12d6 damage with an action surge and quicken spell on eldritch blast with hex up.
>>
>>50651543
Forgot about that. Honestly, I just want some sort of short-range warlock so I can use Armor of Agathys effectively.
>>
>>50651888
>level 22
>>
>>50651887
Magic, didn't you read?
>>
>>50651887
You are using quicken and twin on the cantrip greenflame blade. And no it does not target sice targes have to be in spell range its written to specificly not target the second creature
>>
>>50651923
Sorry, I meant 15 sorcerer. Although the 15 levels in sorcerer don't really matter anyways, you just need to be able to use quicken spell all the time.
>>
>>50651909
Honestly, it's odd because the only way to cast armor of agathys at a level beyond 5 is to multiclass. Not that you're likely to get those spell slots.

You could go sorlock and focus on combining BB and GFB together whilst using shillelagh from pact of the tome. If you have a spare invocation, pact of the tome could give you some rituals (Any up to level 2), too. Warlock3/SorcererX, though I guess that fucks with what little spell progression you'll get and stops right before an ASI.
>>
>>50651979
>>50651909
Thinking about it further, oddly..
Wouldn't armor of agathys synergize best with something such as bear barbarian?

>action: Armor of agathys
>bonus action: rage
>anyone who attacks you deals half damage, yet takes full armor of agathys damage

Alternatively, heavy armour mastery and blade ward.
>you can reduce an attack to potentially 0 and still deal damage back
>>
>>50651934
Nondetection makes the target immune to divination spells, even detect magic and see invisibility. Greenflame Blade more targets the second creature than any of those target the things you see, and that's the official answer.
>>
>>50652022
What does that even mean? It is pretty clear GFB does not target multiple creatures.
>>
>>50651934
You can't twin and quicken the same spell you nog. Read the phb. You could twin one and quicken another, getting you 3, but this is still not 4.
>>
>>50652084
Ok guess its shit then only letting you get 3 attacks off
>>
RATE MY MODULE
new DM, making a thing for a small campaign how does it look???

the village of Slice was doing quite well, until the children started falling ill. starting with periods of long sleep, that get longer and longer and harder and harder to waken the victims from...eventually they just, waste away.

towards the end of the sickness, right before the subjects die, a symbol, reminicent of a flower can be found scratched into the skin somewhere on or around the head

a healer was summoned but he cannot seem to do anything, the village folk are restless and worried... nobody has seen the village's woodcutters/charcoal burners (small family buisiness, they live in the woods) and some of the men who hunt the forests frequently have started to fall ill as well.

"we're poor in gold, for the Tax Man came a week ago, but we may try and repay you in food or supplies"

"about a month ago a star fell out over the forest"

A smell of rot draws carrion to the site, vultures circle in profusion above a certain location.

within the forest, in a small impact crater a small tree grows. leaves formed of long straight-edged pentagons, with flowers that exactly match the markings, thorns, from this plant radiate vines laiden with fruiting bodies.

roots grow through the near countless bodies of dead forest animals. all of them seem to have simply slept to death, carrion birds picking at the most rotten or choisest carcasses.

as the party approaches three a trio of forest workers (2 commoners with axes, and a hunter with a longbow) sleeping by the tree wake up and attack to defend the tree

the vines of the plant attack anything large that gets too close to the core tree (1d4+1 damage), with a mild poison (fortitude DC 10+3per round past first exposure) that does additional 1d6 non-lethal damage per round once the check is failed.

Starseed plant pods can be harvested and sold to a skilled alchemical botanist for a significant sum.
>>
>>50652111
this plant is a hostile psychic entity cast from it's dimension by a titanic battle between a pair of wizard lizards.

it can and may be modified and or reasoned with or it's offspring can be reasoned with to do more than simply make its victims sleep.

a future hook could be that the seed pods can be sold to someone corrupt or stolen and turned to controll whole villages .
>>
>>50652080
>Hits two creatures
>Obviously only targets one creature.

Officially, it targets both creatures. Obviously it targets multiple creatures.
>>
>>50652104
Kind of yeah, since dragon sorcerer would be even better with undying. Then it's up to 3x attacks, 2xcha to main, 3xcha to splash target.
>>
>>50652129
It is written to get around having to target two creatures so that it can allow you to hit the second target that is out of your 5 ft range. IT IS WRITTEN TO SPECIFICALLY NOT TARGET. its not rocket sience ppl
>>
>>50652163
If it directly affects a creature, it targets them.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/10/can-you-us-twinned-spell-with-green-flame-blade/

GFB targets both the target of the attack and the creature that takes the secondary damage.
>>
>>50652204
however much he says that on twitter does not change rules as written, how can ppl not get that these are books not some sort of living thing that you can ammend after writing...
>>
>>50652128
I think it sounds pretty good for quick adventure and the potential for revisiting it later is pretty based. Reminds me a bit of the Thorian from Mass Effect 1. Consider having the plant puppet its victims to 'speak' through them for added creepiness.

Consider having the families of the commoners + hunter beg for their safe return, so the players can either earn the goodwill or the ire of the villagers if they knockout or kill them.
>>
Just hit level 4 with my Divination Wizard.

Any suggestions for Feats? or am I better off just taking an Int ASI?
>>
File: ohdear.jpg (215KB, 1300x813px) Image search: [Google]
ohdear.jpg
215KB, 1300x813px
How good is the revised ranger UA? How good is the College of Whispers bard?
>>
>>50652229
lv4 divination wizard here as well
just bump that INT up my man
>>
>>50652229
If you are mountain dwarf get heavy armor if not, why?
>>
>>50652229
Either Lucky feat (now you can roll first, and use luck point for a reroll and use portent to replace before you roll the second roll) or ASI.
>>
>>50652225
Fireball can spread around corners and extend past the maximum range of casting it. Fireball targets the creatures in its area. Creatures hit by a spell are targets of that spell, especially when it's obvious. Detect Thoughts targets other creatures, range: self, etc. This is not a difficult concept.
>>
>>50652272
Fireball does not target any creature, it targets a place on the ground lol
>>
>>50652294
If they wanted the sorc to work like that they would have said "if a spell affects more than one creature" not target. they dont use words without reason. Also if they want to change what they have written they release corrections. Not write tweets.
>>
>>50652260
because in my DM's setting Arrakocra have +2 to Int, and +1 Wis. So i chose flight.
>>
>>50652333
Lol ok that seems kinda stupidly good I get why in that case :)
>>
>>50652226
>'speak' through them for added creepiness.
I thought it was in there..

I wanted the sleeping people to wake up and attack the party shouting about "get away from me" believing in their somnambulism that the party is part of the nightmare.

>Consider having the families of the commoners + hunter beg for their safe return, so the players can either earn the goodwill or the ire of the villagers if they knockout or kill them.

I hadn't thought of that I like it, and am stealing the idea is good. regardless the parents of the village children are thankful, but the families of the woodcutters and the hunter will likely have the better heirlooms or some nicer materials set aside as rewards.

party level 3 or 4 for this encounter
>>
>>50652357
He did it cause their Patron God is a god of Magic and Knowledge/Learning. And said god created them in his setting, i think.
>>
>>50652332
Crawford's tweets are official rulings. That is policy. Those rulings are then compiled in official errata releases via the official website, and incorporated into future printings.
>>
>>50649929
>can
>we
>this
>>
>>50652332
Again. Detect Thoughts. Range: Self.

"If you probe deeper, the target must make a Wisdom saving throw."

Definitely targets other creatures. Unless you think you can only probe your own mind with Detect Thoughts.
>>
>>50649972
>And Samurai was clearly the Undead Fighter
kek
>>
File: 5e target.png (99KB, 360x106px) Image search: [Google]
5e target.png
99KB, 360x106px
>>50652225
>On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects, and green fire leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it.
It is RAW, since the spell is having you choose another creature (which then also counts as a target, see pic related).
>>
>>50652496
Detect thougts DOES NOT TARGET. What happens is that detect thougts gives you an ability that does.
>>
>>50652437
No! Don't you understand! The guy who wrote the rules and is in charge of errata, balance, laying out the text in the book is wrong!
>>
>>50652529
>(which then also counts as a target, see pic related).
...No it does not "count as a target" then it would have said the first and second target. It is written using target for the first creature and specifically NOT using that phrase for the second creature.
>>
>it's another "people who don't understand what the word target means" episode
>with a "the person who wrote the game's rules is wrong" sidestory
>>
>>50652544
He is wrong, I am not saying he does not have the power to change it. But written as it is now, he is wrong and just because the next time wizards do a reprint he will be right does not make him right right now.
>>
>>50652575
He isn't wrong. Just 5% of people lack understanding of the book, which is why he tweets out to people like you.
>>
>>50651808
this
rogue 1 or 2 is good too.
paladin 2 has its merits in a lot of cases
war cleric 1 or 2 is pretty good in most cases.
>>
>>50652111
>>50652128

Let me take this opportunity to roleplay as a Bad Player, so you can prepare yourself accordingly:

>"DM, I set the woods on fire. It's the only way to be sure!"

>"Maybe the kids are being killed in their dreams, like Nightmare on Elm Street. Let's intentionally have ourselves put to sleep so we can fight the monster in the dream world, like in JoJo!"

>"I'll bet this is some kind of conspiracy by the woodcutters. Let's stake out their cabin for a few days."

>"It was probably the Tax Man, let's go hunt him down and see what his angle is"
>>
>>50652575
You're essentially arguing that the Pope has no power to voice the will of God without literally re-writing the bible.
>>
>>50652626

>You're essentially arguing that the Pope has no power to voice the will of God without literally re-writing the bible.

If you think /tg/ has long arguments--this one has been going for a couple hundred years. And several edition wars.
>>
>>50652575
He can't change Rules As Written, but he can clarify Rules As Intended. If you'd rather use RAW over RAI, then frakly you're wrong, because RAI is how the game was meant to be played. RAW is for munchkins.
>>
>>50652682
I got a good laugh out of that. Thanks anon.
>>
>>50652388

You might consider adding the tax collector as a controlled puppet as well, so the players can get some gold.
>>
>>50649305
Going into a campaign next month with a few friends. Never played before. Is their anything I need to know that's not in the rule book?
>>
>>50652682
Wouldn't have to still go on if God bothered to tweet every once in a while...

>>50652714
It's a team game, and acting against your team, while possible, is rarely fun for anybody but you. Don't be That Guy.
>>
>>50649305
Seriously, how have people handled the RP side of warlocks? I have a warlock in my group, who asks his patron for guidance on everything. I don't want to just say "Oh, he's annoyed, no more class feature for you" but it's getting stupid.
>>
>>50652610
1.) no way to stop them burning the forest

2.) the party I'm playing with has nothing that can get at dreams, and none of them have seen either Nightmare on elm street or JoJos bizzare

3.) staking the cabin out will yield no data and the party has a much bigger payout to look forward to

4.) they might try to chase down the tax man but that was a week ago and he was going a direction directly away from their road to the major destination.

>>50652711
maybe, though the other big payout for it might be
"you returned my sons from the forest here take this pouch of gold in thanks"
OR
selling the seeds of the plant to an alchemical botanist they encountered a few days ago.
>>
>>50652767
just have him stop responding or say "sort it out yourself, I gave you the powers for a reason" or something.
Like seriously if the patron is at all important he has other shit to do than constantly micromanage, advise, and listen to the woes of his pawns.
>>
>>50652778
Players are fickle creatures, it doesn't really matter if something is rational or not. Prepare for them to try staking the cabin with the sleeping tax man while the forest is burning around them.
>>
>>50652767
his patron would be silent unless he has a way to communicate across the planes (mostly via spells)
>>
>>50649443
>somatic voguing
I love this.
>>
>>50651934
SAGEADVICE
> http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/10/can-you-us-twinned-spell-with-green-flame-blade/

THE GOD HAS SPOKEN. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.
>>
how much do you guys worry about your dungeons "making sense"? I'm trying to map one out thats an abandoned castle, but I keep worrying that like I need to add more servants quarters and a kitchen and bathrooms and all this random stuff. Maybe that should all just be covered under rubble or something to protect my sanity.
>>
>>50652813
one of the reasons I am prepping this module is because those tree players wanted more rationality in gaming.

but I'm almost BETTER capable of handling a flaming forest burning the wood-cutters and the plant all together. so this is a fun to plan.

it's in 3.5 but by this point D&D is D&D

anyone want to see some of my other mini-modules?
>>
>>50652910

Either way is fine, really. You don't need to include a lot - most players will be satisfied with just a single servants quarters. You don't need to make a castle ecology before making a rando dungeon.
>>
>>50652767
Generally I handle them as independent mages who sought/took power for a purpose. Often times willfully ignorant of their Patron. Generally the Patrons didn't get themselves personally involved, but would occasionally send other agents to remind my pc that my end of whatever bargain was made still needed to be kept. Essentially though, it's the opposite of how I do clerics.
>>
>>50652910

If you think you're insane now, imagine what it will be like with me at the table:

"I search the bathroom".

*roll* "You find nothing."

>There's gotta be something in here. Why would the DM put a random bathroom in this adventure?

"I check inside the toilets".

"Still nothing."

>Fuck, we have to go deeper

"I take off all my clothes, leap into the privy and start ROLLING AROUND in the SHIT AND PISS until I find WHATEVER IT IS that's hiding in this bathroom!"
>>
>>50653021
but why would you do that
>>
>>50649710

3's a good number.

If your group is a bit on the large side, consider 4.
>>
Converting some older stuff to 5e.
What is the progression chart for dice? Doubling dice works for enemies, but when the PC's work of the same system, I'd imagine it would get silly quickly.

I'm thinking 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 2d6, 2d8, 2d10, 3d8, 3d10, 3d12, 4d10, 4d12, 5d12, 6d12, etc? The difficulty is that this might be to weak, given that putting 15 steps into something only gives you 45.5 damage, which for high level character would be near all their steps, and is only equal to a CR 7. Maybe skip the d4 entirely, to ramp up low step power and make it more useful to have a bunch of low intensity powers rather than one huge one?
>>
>>50653038

Because I'm fucking insane and will not be able to sleep at night until I solve your fiendish bathroom puzzle? You devious psychopath.
>>
>>50653021
lmao okay this was really helpful actually because i really WOULD question finding a random bathroom in a dungeon, even if it does make sense for there to be one somewhere.
>>50652939
also helpful, thanks. just i like worldbuilding, but i always am trying to step back and say to myself "okay, this really isn't important in the context of an adventure"
>>
Hey guys, has anyone ever run a Champion Fighter here? Or had a player of them in your game? What was it like?
>>
>>50653143
Sorry m8, only time I ever played champion was a game I wound up going to level 10 as a Champion 4/WMS 6. Crit like a motherfucker though.
>>
>>50653038
why is less important than expecting the players to do that...
>>
>>50653143
No they seem boring as fuck
>>
>>50653143

Had one in my Strahd game. They're fine and a strong archetype as long as you don't want to do anything more exciting than "I hit the monster"
>>
File: l1vgsVk.png (2MB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
l1vgsVk.png
2MB, 2400x3200px
>>50653143
they're really powerful and really easy to make broken with the right magic items. friend currently has a greatsword that does 2d6+1d6 fire damage, and with 1/10th of his (two) attacks being crits he really wrecks things with it.
hes fairly stacked by our DM though, which is fine with me.
part of why he likes his character is because he has 15 or 16 (I forget) charisma, and hes kind of also our party face, and through some in game shit that happened, he has a big bonus to charisma skills at the cost of having a bum leg. my advice would be to focus on some not combat things you can do, because you'll be a really solid combatant no matter what you do.
would he have been better as a battlemaster? idk, maybe. but he likes the fact that he can keep going all day without having to manage a few dice between rests, and its fun to roll crits pretty often. my impression is that its a better class than the internet wants us to think, even compared to bm. especially if you can get a magic weapon that will combo with your improved crit chance.
>>
If you cast Darkness on yourself and can see through it, do you have to hide to get advantage on attacks?
>>
>>50653238
No. You are an unseen attacker and thus have advantage anyway.
>>
>>50653238
if youre fighting something that cant see through magical darkness, no.
>>
>>50653143
I have one in the game I run. He hits like a fucking train and crits all the fucking time, ever since he reached level 5.
>>
What are some good ways of challenging non-creative players? I've got a team that's medium level (6/7), well balanced, but is still approaching DND like a video game.
What are some encounters I can use to get them to think a little more laterally? What are some fights that will get them out of the XCOM mentality?
>>
>finally acquired Shadow Monk 6's teleport
Hello, unlimited flight between the hours of 8pm and 5am.
>>
>>50653402
specifically, I want to challenge them in ways that don't involve bigger numbers and harder dice rolls.
>>
File: reaper.jpg (67KB, 640x428px)
reaper.jpg
67KB, 640x428px
>>50649305
Don't. Embrace the edge. Either you'll end up as a hilarious tryhard sulking in your Tripp Pants or you'll actually manage to do something cool.

Just whatever you do don't half-ass it, that's how you end up looking like a whiny pussy. You need to become so edgy and hammy that you loop back around into actually being somewhat cool, or at the very least amusing.
>>
If I'm holding a Versatile weapon in two hands and no shield do I still benefit from Dueling?
>>
>>50653491
No.
>>
>>50653501
rip.

I was hoping it might actually make Versatile weapons useful as a main weapon, guess I'm grabbing a Greatsword and calling it a slightly longer-sword.
>>
>>50653402

Make it so they have to coach an NPC through a fight.

Like, a character they were sent to rescue is thrown into a gladiatorial match against a powerful monster (minotaur, hydra etc) for the amusement of their captor. Your players can't just jump down and run to the rescue because of the magic barrier. They have to shout strategies and tips and such, and the better and more creative they are, the better the prisoner does.
>>
File: punchbox.jpg (149KB, 1564x900px) Image search: [Google]
punchbox.jpg
149KB, 1564x900px
What has your character given to the world that they live in? Some fantastic invention? A new kind of magic?
>>
>>50653537
Pioneered the art of murdering people with kitchen spices.
>>
>>50653546
>Nate; "did you just kill that guy with an appetizer?"
Elliot; "I don't know maybe"
>Nate; shrugs and keeps walking.
>>
>>50653523
Dueling fighting style is literally meant to compensate having at most a d8 weapon die, so you can have one and a shield
>>
>>50653537
A Goblin and Orc free nation.
Turns out if you convince the military of a large nation to actually do something about the Orc and Goblin camps fucking with their villages they can steamroll them pretty quickly.
>>
File: casey FUCKING ryback.jpg (8KB, 480x268px) Image search: [Google]
casey FUCKING ryback.jpg
8KB, 480x268px
>>50653581
Nobody beats me in the kitchen.
>>
>>50649305

Best ways to make a warlock non-edgy:
>Change the relationship between patron and
warlock (the warlock is now an employee with a 401slay and an hourly wage)
>Change the importance of the patron to the character
>Change character personality
>Be so edgy that you are, as Shoggy puts it 'approaching sanity from the other end.'
>Have a relationship with another character that revolves around your pact (you're a fey pact and another party member was swapped at birth with a Feywild baby by your patron, you made a pact with the same demon who created a tiefling party member's bloodline, the fact that you were dicking around with the GoO is what inspired the party wizard to be an enchanter, etc.)
>>
>>50651743
Barbarian: Multiclass before level 5 (Rogue wanting extra attack) or before level 4/3/2/1, whatever floats your boat.

The best option for barbarians is to not be barbarians, unless they're level 20 barbarians.
>>
>>50653585
But I don't want a shield!
I'll probably use one anyway.
>>
>>50653537
Brought punk-rock and surfing to a coastal nation.
Picture unrelated
>>
>>50649305
By falling assbackward into your pact. Read from the eldritch tome of whatever the fuck on a dare in wizard school? Drink from a spring after accidentally stumbling through a Fey Crossing on your way to grandma's house? Spitballing lyrics with the local bard and unintentionally speak the true name of some lesser archdevil? Sucks to be you now, you get radical magic powers whether you wanted them or not.
>>
>>50652241
Better than normal bard, and I don't know
>>
>>50653645
Really, there's not much point to Versatile. Dueling without anything in your off hand is better than two-handing a versatile weapon anyway, even ignoring shields. You can carry a torch or keep the hand open to grapple if you don't want a shield, but 1d8+2 is better than 1d10.
>>
>>50653075
>putting 15 steps into something
What the fuck do you mean by "steps"?
>>
>>50653733
Normal ranger*
>>
>>50653645
Then go with greatsword (or any heavy reach weapon) and Great Weapon Fighting, mate. Is there a specific reason why you want to have a versatile weapon/dueling?
>>
>>50653528

If you go with this, consider bringing an hourglass (like from a Scrabble box) so they can't intricately plan out the captives' moves like this is XCOM. Ideally you want a bunch of players panicking at their rescuee about to get pulverized and yelling shit over each other.
>>
>>50653734
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The only reason to even bother two handing a Battleaxe is if you don't have Dueling.

>>50653776
A Battleaxe fits the character better than a Greataxe and what >>50653734 said about grappling and holding equipment.
>>
>>50653537
Mine likes to help low level monstrous races design dungeons.

He has yet to realize how many people he's helped kill
>>
>>50653806
Well, you could probably go for Dueling with the axe and use a torch alongside it. Or possibly work with your DM to make a fighting style that specifically works well with versatile weapons. The biggest thing I would say is that if you aren't using a shield, keep in mind the many things you can do with an off-hand.
>>
>>50649486
Chain pact, it's the plot of Metal Gear Solid only instead of Snake it's a pixie and instead of guards it's rats
>>
>>50653143
DMed for one from level 3 to 20. His damage kept up well, and he critically hit a lot because the casters in the party constantly fed him advantage via debuff on enemies.

He was near-useless outside of combat because he was one of those "my character tells them this" with no detail kind of roleplayers.
>>
File: reaper.jpg (106KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
reaper.jpg
106KB, 600x849px
Playing a changeling Rogue/Paladin that worships Kelemvor, the round one bursts are crazy. Also very fun. I'm currently 3/2 Paladin/Rogue, are there any cool rogue archetypes that would fit the character that are homebrew or UA? I know Assassin is the goto for paladin/rogues for the guarenteed crit, and that's what I plan on going, but it's not a very Metagame game (most of the other people are new) so I could afford to go something flavorful/more fun if I wanted to.
>>
If I use conjure fey to called up a Dryad and have them cast goodberry.

Can I keep those goodberry for 24hr or would they disappear with the Dryad after 1 hour?
>>
>>50653973
>Champion fighter player did exactly what we all expected
>>
>>50654080
Inquisitors are fun. Thieves are fun for utility belt shenanigans.
>>
>>50649305
Honestly the problem for me is avoiding the spoony pitfall for virtually any class. Great Old One patron is especially bad for me because it offers such an easy opportunity for characters who are out of touch with reality in some way.
>>
So I'm gonna have a new player, who's absolutely new to D&D and RPG, join up the party, which is at level 8. How the fuck do I make this work?
>>
>>50654403
Do you have time to do a 1-on-1 character building hang-out with them? Just ask them what they want to play and show them how everything works. 5e is pretty straight forward.
>>
>>50654403

shouldn't be too hard. have him join as something easy like a ranged fighter, cut him some slack in the first few combat scenes while he figures things out, give him some cues to roleplay.
>>
>>50654403
If you're the DM and have the time, try to run a one on one session at least once beforehand - ideally twice if possible. One at level ~two, and another one at maybe level five or six. Cover his character background in these, railroad as per his backstory so he can focus more on understanding game mechanics/how the game plays.
>>
File: UA-Feats-V1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA-Feats-V1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Do you let players use the UA feats? What do you think of them?
>>
>>50653740
Dice? Going from 1d6 to a 1d8 is one step, from 1d6 to 1d10 is two, etc.
Are you touched in the head boy, I say.
>>
>>50654524
Yeah but what are these steps for? There's no "step" mechanic in 5e that I've ever heard of
>>
our monk just keeps running away at 10,000 mph from everything i throw at him any time things get slightly dangerous
how do i keep him in to provide some feeling of danger?
he has ridiculous modifiers to saving throws as well, so grapples and hold person and such would only work like 10% of the time
>>
>>50654546
If you honestly don't know what steps mean in the context of something progressing, then thank you for your input, but you might be better off not commenting on things that you don't know anything about.
>>
>>50654512

They seem pretty...alright, but I'm not sure weapons need even more + anything's to hit when come mid/10th level you'll be hitting anything with ridiculous modifiers anyway.
>>
>>50654588

Pit traps! Pit traps everywhere!

Or maybe something based on strength or Con would help, or make up a special ice-spell for him.
>>
File: 1481069730173.png (77KB, 500x500px)
1481069730173.png
77KB, 500x500px
>Running four lvl 1's through a new session
>They're assaulting a mill
>The mill is surrounded by a low wall perfect for sitting behind and shooting arrows
>There are trees around to climb up
>They spend awhile scouting around
>All good I think, very stealthy
>They see 8 cultists outside the mill trying to set it on fire but doing a bad job
>Sneak up to the mill, look in
>Several hooded hunched figures inside, with drawn weapons
>Come to the conclusion they must be prisoners and not an obvious ambush
>Decide to just burst out on the cultists and unleash a 1d4 spell
>Several rounds of combat later, 2/4 party members unconscious
>One other on 3hp
>Rogue has just been 'maneuvering' the whole time on full hp
>Stabilise the unconcious people
>Decide its time to free the prisoners
>This is it, this is the TPK first session
>Let them make a perception check
>Get a high roll, "You hear voices from inside talking about their orders to murder the first person to walk through that door"
>Rogue: "I want to shoot an arrow through the window"
>>
>>50654610
It was more about your phrasing of "putting steps into something" that doesn't make any sense. There's nothing in 5e that scales like what you're talking about so could you at least give an example?
>>
>>50654679
>See original post.
>See https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dice_stepping
I'm 30% certain you can find some examples in 5e.
>>
>>50654678

Just tell new players whats up. Don't be like "The hooded figure clutches his cloak tight, his eyes darting back and forth, one hand on his weapon, licking his lips nervously". Be more like "He acting super suspicious, like he about to stab someone".

That way they're less likely to assume he's just a poor sap with social anxiety and try to go for a hug.
>>
about to play a elven monk swordsman. going for a sort of "lone swordsman in a foreign land" sort of characterization. how can i make this character as least edge-lord as possible? probably gonna go LN/LG alignment
>>
>>50654735
Ah I see what you're talking about. No it never comes up ever. Goodbye.
>>
Is there rules anywhere for throwing a grappled creature?
>>
>>50654792
Shove action
>>
>>50654786
Really? Because Superiority Dice and the Monk's Unarmed Damage both dice step, but given how you didn't notice it, it's obviously not a big deal.
>>
>>50654588
If he's running away most of the time I suspect he's already feeling a sense of danger. Else he wouldn't be running away.
>>
>>50654781
I'd say one thing you could do is make him curious about the unfamiliar things he sees. Maybe he actually likes traveling and thought his homeland was boring or something. If he likes his homeland, maybe he tells people little stories about it when he sees a chance for it. You don't have to be really edgy to have a wanderer's heart.

Alternatively, maybe he's looking for something or someone (but not revenge, if you want to avoid something like that).
>>
>>50654817
>Knocked prone or 5 feet
>Goliath with 18 STR picks up a Gobbo and prepares to throw his ass into a spiked wall
>pushes him 5 measly feet away

laaaaame. I want to throw bitches around like a fuckin' man-gorilla.
>>
>>50654588
make the battlefield difficult for him to traverse but easy for enemies to traverse using hidden shortcuts, magical effects, difficult terrain, etc. clutter the battlefield and make the most obvious route require an athletic or acrobatic check, e.g. jumping over a fence or wall
>>
File: angry dog.jpg (8KB, 261x223px) Image search: [Google]
angry dog.jpg
8KB, 261x223px
>>50650105
>crit fumbles hit allies
>>
>>50650889
Same here, actually. Every time he cast a spell he was like "this is just fucking nuts you guys what the hell"
>>
>>50654512
>Gourmand
I feel like I can use this somehow to make a Kirby character, who prepares meals made out of monsters and gains their powers.
>>
If you cast a spell like moonbeam, do you roll damage for it once and apply that each time it would do damage, or do you keep rerolling it every time it would deal damage?

Unclear to me from PhB 196. If you have a reason for why you're ruling one way or the other RAW, please cite it.
>>
>>50654934
>Goliath (Strong Build) Level 20 Barbarian (24 STR) can lift 1440 lbs
>>
>>50655039
Add Enlarge and Bull's Strength bruh.
>>
>>50655057
>Can still only throw a Goblin 5 feet RAW
>>
>>50654934
In our grapple-heavy campaign, we houseruled throwing (can you lift a guy? 18 = two, 20 = three tile throw; one additional tile if they're Small, Athletics check DC 20 for another tile) and moving targets around you (5 feet of movement to shift a grappled enemy one tile within reach). The latter also meant we didn't halve speed for grapplers, but instead treated all movement while grappling as costing 2x. So a 30 speed creature could still only drag a target three tiles, but he could spin them three-quarters of a way around.
>>
>>50655081
convince your DM to rule throwing the goblin as an improvised weapon attack, then you can get the thrown range increment of 20/60
>>
>>50655081
The rules say that the rules shouldn't come before fun. I'd let you use a goblin as a weapon to pummel other goblins as long as you are strong enough.
>>
>>50655114
This is a good compromise and fits RAW
>>
>>50654934

I'd say you should be able to throw a character one size smaller than you for your Strength modifier x 5 feet, and the one being thrown can make a saving throw to only get tossed half as far. They take damage on landing depending on how far they were thrown, and if they hit another creature that creature also takes damage.

This could work for tossing PCs too.
>>
>>50653537
Invented baseball, the highfive and rko's (his version of the rko involves a tricertops however)
>>
>>50654878
not really, he just leaves casually while laughing knowing that it cant catch him since he runs like 200ft per round
basically he knows he could theoretically lose the fight so he leaves
he only takes fights that are a sure thing
and thats boring af imo
>>
>tfw wanna make a Warforged version of another character in the party but the novelty wouldn't be worth it in the long run
>>
>>50654792
You can drag creatures with you at half speed, so if you're fast enough you can put them wherever you want. By RAW your maximum jump length and height isn't reduced, so you can leap over a hazard and release them mid-jump.
>>
Thinking about playing a paranoid 'war veteran' fighter who constantly relays inconsistent war stories. Also believes he is constantly being scryed by his "enemies". Also want to use diminutive names for other races/classes and absurd metaphors. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>50655223

Give him a reason to stand and fight.

Bandits attack the caravan he's in, he turns to book it, and as he's running away he locks eyes with a little girl kneeling over the unmoving body of an older girl, yelling for help as a bandit with a flail moves in...

...If he still runs away, feel free to have the survivors spread stories of his cowardice. Bards should sing of it in every town he goes.

You don't have to be that unsubtle about it, but it helps communicate your unspoken complaint about his conduct.
>>
>>50655288
As long as your paranoia doesn't inconvenience the party/make it unfun for the other players, you should be fine.
>>
>>50654973
If yore behind the gloaith barbarian shooting at the goblin he's holding in front of him. I'd say you hit him on a 1. Probably on almost any roll that couldnt hit.
>>
>>50655338
If he's directly blocking the shot, i'd give the goblin half cover and then roll to see if misses hit the player
>>
does /5eg/ endorse intra-party combat?
if so would you allow characters to straight up kill another if they found out their goals contradict each-other or that one did something terrible etc. etc.?
>>
>>50655402
Yes
>>
>>50655402
Fuck no, and fuck off.
>>
>>50655402
talk with your group.
>>
How are the best group of people to be friends with in a large city?
>>
>>50655434
huh?
>>
>>50655419
>honor bound LG paladin finds CE warlock sacrificing an orphanage-worth of babies
"I'll let you off the hook this time! Don't let me catch you doing that again!"
>>
>>50655446
Shouldn't have let the party have that mix of alignments in the first place.
>>
>>50655445
Like if you were wanting to gain as much influence as possible, who would you want favors from?
>>
>>50655446
and this is why groups need to discuss such things BEFORE the game.

Paladin player lets him live? Pal-player doesn't have fun.
Paladin kills warlock? Warlock player doesn't have fun.

Who has more right to their fun?
>>
>>50655459
"dont let people play what they want"
wew i think i figured out who NOT to listen to
>>
>>50655471
whomever is the largest mover and shaker in that city. Politicians, thieves guild leader, king's advisor, etc.
>>
>>50655402
Had a Revenant Paladin who would regularly fight with the Berserker Barbarian, and they didn't use blunted weapons for it. It became increasingly brutal until they were actively trying to kill each other (And the Barbarian succeeded a few times). They ended up becoming best bros.

Fortunately we had a Druid 1/Life Cleric to patch up the Barbarian, the Revenant didn't need it as much.
>>
>>50655474
they both knew what they signed up for
>>
>>50655446
I've legit had to have my good guy characters have "I didn't see that" moments just to keep games from being gay before.

It really hurts my soul when I have to do that, but the alternative - cracking down on the evil shit on my own party members - I feel like is way worse for overall player enjoyment. I wish everyone would just not be a murder hobo in not-murder-hobo games.
>>
>>50655495
love conquers all
i like it
comfy
>>
>>50655495
>Better Berry cleric
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 815x753px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 815x753px
What specific things from other media have you injected into your campaign, DMs?

the occasional stand user always flares things up
>>
>>50655495
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pRvp0a_YAI&list=PLL3a0wCLjORYB-oQuehOhZSAWCHDWnzI6
>>
>>50655532
My fetishes
>>
>>50655480
If a player isn't flexible enough to come up with a non-evil or non-good aligned character they are a bad player.

If you let your party composition be so fucked that a player kills another player you have fucked that game completely and are a bad DM.
>>
>>50655579
correction, anon, if a player isn't flexible enough to come up with an evil character that doesn't eat and rape babies, they are a bad player.

You can be evil and not be disruptive to the group.
>>
>>50655579
its not that they arent flexible dipshit
they just chose a good and an evil character because they wanted to
death is a thing in this game, if dying makes them say "well that was no fun at all whine whine" then they should go play fucking candyland
>>
>>50655480
No individual player's wants outweigh the needs of the group, anon. The DM's job is to keep things fun and interesting for the entire group, but ultimately, the DM's word is final. Don't like it, find an other table.
>>
>>50655656
Death is certainly a thing, but your friend killing the character you were having fun playing is different than a BBEG doing it.

Talk to your players about the type of game they want to play. If they want to be evil or good make sure they can play that in an appropriate campaign where you can DM that to its fullest. A campaign where an evil player can't do evil things without being killed and a good player cant help people with out price negotiations is a shitty campaign.
>>
>>50655652
If your party paladin finds out and kills you, do you think no one should mind? Do you have no problem rolling up a new character?
>>
>>50655480
evil players and good players can't be in the same adventuring parties

parties need to be comprised of good/neutral or neutral/evil, nothing in between
>>
>>50655962
this is bait
>>
>>50655978
Replace "can't" with "generally shouldn't" and "need" with "should in most cases try" and he's right.
>>
>>50656013
>"replace his argument with a different one and hes right"
lmfao
>>
>>50656051
>toning back hyperbole = complete shift in argument
As to be expected of autists!
>>
>>50656101
the word hyperbole would imply that he didn't actually mean what he said in the literal sense
which it seems pretty obvious he did
>>
>>50655532

I stole the battle of the bands fight from Scott Pilgrim, the one with the twins. Sort of. We have a bard/warblade who sings. So he sang praises of pelor against an undead death metal band, they each were hooked up to magical amplifiers the created waves of positive and negative energy which clashed in the middle. The death metal band summoned legions of undead in the negative energy zone, and the rest of the party defended the bard from the hordes.

Other than that I almost always have a tournament arc, a trial of the gods arc, and if the characters last a while they have wandering counterparts in the world that if they find and defeat 1v1 they'll earn high level gear. It's probably video gamey as hell, but my players love it.
>>
>>50656151
Yes! Yes it would!
No! No it's not!
As expected of autists!
>>
Yo need help still.

>>50655019
>>50655019

Don't know what I'm doing.
>>
>>50656051
>>50656101
>>50656151
>>50656169
Calm down spergs
>>
>>50656169
this is bait at this point
bye
>>
>>50655978
Listen

You physical *can* roll up an evil character and insert it into a good party.

But it will never, ever work out unless the logic of the game is stretched out of shape to fit your special snowflake sensibilities.
>>
>>50655446
Why is the warlock sacrificing babies?

Is it because the PC is chaotic stupid and thinks that this is a funny thing to do? The character deserves death, but to drive the point home, you should really restrain him and chop off a body part for every baby he killed, one by one.

Is it because the warlock's patron requires it? The DM is at fault for instigating a conflict that the PCs can't back down from.

Is the warlock not actually sacrificing babies, but you just used a hyperbole to make your point?
The situation isn't as black-and-white as you want to convince people, which means that you're looking for an excuse to kill another PC even though there are other options on the table.
>>
One of my players played an evil character in an obnoxiously evil way. The party quickly grew tired of his bullshit. Then the other evil character turned him into a fish person and boiled him in his armor. The rest of the party didn't know he was evil until then and, though conflicted, decided that maybe good and evil isn't so black and white.
>>
>>50656185
i reroll every time but im an XD so randumb loser
>>
None of your fellow players are going to appreciate playing with an Evil "out-for-himself" ulterior motive edgelord.

So in the metagame, no one likes you, no matter how much you "deceive" them in game.

Not to mention any paladin worth a damn would just detect evil and kill you on sight anyway.
>>
>>50656199
Brilliant!

>>50656211
I've always rerolled in games thus far, but I actually don't know if that's supposed to be the case. I don't think RAW it's clear at all, which is why I'm trying to figure it out.
>>
>>50656185
Separate instances of damage, separate rolls.

When all instances of damage from a spell are a single effect rather than a series of attacks, and happen simultaneously, like with Magic Missile or Fireball, you only roll once. But when you have an ongoing effect with a conditional trigger for damage, you roll each time.
>>
>>50656223
and as a DM you'd be cool with him killing the warlock
so yeah
>>
>>50656223
Detect evil doesn't work that way in 5e.
Which I think is kind of dumb.

>>50656226
Is there RAW citation for this? I couldn't find anything that makes such clear in the PhB
>>
>>50649343
I'm doing an aasimar archfey lock that's basically a sailor scout in my next campaign
>>
>>50656185

Roll the damage every time the effect is triggered.
>>
>>50656225
its pretty obvious you reroll the damage when you read the spell
read it again and maybe a spark of intelligence will hit you
>>
>>50656241
PHB pg. 196.
>>
>>50656234
>and as a DM you'd be cool with him killing the warlock
>so yeah

Yes, because I'd like to discourage edgelordery in games not designed to accommodate it.
>>
>>50656241

If someone swings a 1d8 weapon at someone and rolls a 1 they are not locked into doing 1 damage with that weapon for the remainder of combat.

If the party falls for the pit trap multiple times, you roll the damage every time they fall in.
>>
>>50656275
and instead of saying "nah dont play that character man cmon"
youd rather instigate his death and laugh in his face when it goes down
>>
>>50656241
>could somebody please read the book for me im lazy haha
>>
>>50656256
Do you have a RAW reference for that ruling?
I can't actually find one.

>>50656263
It's not - read moonbeam for instance.

>>50656270
That doesn't tell you to reroll for something like moonbeam - it just tells you you don't need to reroll on each target when they're hit by an instance of an aoe

>>50656281
No, but that's an attack which rides on an attack roll, whereas a spell like moonbeam is the same spell throughout the duration and requires no extra input from you (unless you do need to reroll damage). But it's completely unclear whether you're actually supposed to or not. If you think that's wrong, please cite rules text that does make it clear.
>>
>>50656304
>>50656306
>>
>>50656306
i did read moonbeam and its blatantly obvious, but then again i try not to overthink stupid shit that doesnt matter
>>
>>50656315
it does matter
>>
>>50656234
As a DM I wouldn't allow the player to play that character, so the point is moot.

>>50656241
PHB pg 196 says "if a spell or effect deals damage to more than one target at the same time, you roll the damage once for all of them."

That's a case of a specific rule overriding the general rules. See PHB pg 7 for why this matters. It can be assumed from this that any situation which is not defined by the specific rule follows the general rules. By understanding this, it is plainly obvious that yes, you roll each time a creature triggers a saving throw from moonbeam.
>>
>>50656241
I don't think there is a RAW citation, but I think there's a clear case for it being RAI. You wouldn't roll damage for an attack, then use the same damage roll for the next attack you make. And if a spell was meant to deal a stable amount of damage each round, it wouldn't use a damage roll, like Guardian of Faith.

The DM is free to rule otherwise, for speeding up play or some other concern. In that case I would suggest avoid rolling altogether and just deal the average damage (11 for Moonbeam) in each instance.
>>
>>50656306

How about you cite why you think you just roll the damage once and always use the same damage? Static numbers in D&D, such as the +40 on disintegrate, are specifically noted. If a spell says "roll 2d10" it means you rll the damage every time the effect is triggered. There isn't a single instance of a spell that says "roll XdY, this attack does Z damage every time it is triggered."
>>
>>50656346
>That's a case of a specific rule overriding the general rules
In other words, this is actually a situation of an exception that proves the rule
>>
Monk UA coming out, what are you guys expecting?
>>
>>50656338
yeah if you roll a 2 you just deal 2 damage per round until you drop it and start another one
>>
>>50656374
Disappointment. And a thread full of bitching about how disappointed we all are.
>>
>>50656374
Way of the 5 Elements
>>
>>50656374

DBZ monks
Yu Yu Hakusho monks
Avatar: The Last Airbender monks
Drunken Boxing
>>
>>50656374
sword saint desu
>>
>>50656375
No, you reroll every time you deal the damage
How many times do you have to be told this
>>
>>50656388
id be down for this
>>
>>50656374
4chan to bitch that it sucks, reddit to bitch that it's overpowered
>>
>>50656392
i was joking and providing an instance that shows how silly it would be to not reroll the damage
dipshit
>>
>>50649450
>>50649473
>>50649498
>ally uses help action to give samurai advantage on attack
>samurai declares he is giving up his advantage to use rapid strike
>samurai then declares he is spending inspiration to gain advantage on his attack
Is this legal?
>>
>>50656419
no call the cops
>>
>>50656419
I'd allow it.
>>
>>50656374
Kensai, a weapon-focused monk.

An "animal-fist"-type monk with Totem Barbarian-like progression (tiger fist, swan fist, snake fist, etc.).

And probably a drunken master for kicks.
>>
>>50656419
I'd let it happen. If you're blowing inspiration it's time to break some rules.
>>
I was thinking of going Shadow Sorcerer/Undying Light Warlock but I'm not sure how well they'd work together. They both have great synergy with martial classes (Undying Light with Paladin, Shadow Sorcerer with Rogues and Monks or any Martial Class really) but those two archetypes just don't really feel like they'd work together.

Also while I'm at it, I have a couple issues with each archetype and would like to know if anyone who has played them feels the same way or not.

I like the idea of the Undying Light patron but it doesn't offer any reason to do anything other than Eldritch Blast. Also the expanded spell list is disappointing. It just seems strictly worse at low levels than the other Patrons.

Shadow Sorcerer has two outstanding level 1 abilities. However I don't really care for Hound of Ill Omen that much. Is it actually good or a waste of sorcery points? Shadow Walk also seems like it should be at an earlier level than it is, considering Monk gets basically the same thing at level 6.
>>
>>50656440
please this
>>
Maybe a stupid question. For an ability like the 4 elements monk's Fist of Unbroken Wind, is it magical or non-magical damage?
>>
>>50656456
>Fist of Unbroken Wind

This conjures images of the monk blocking farts by fisting someone's anus. As a special move.
>>
>>50656440

I'd be happy with this.
>>
>>50656456
non-magical unless monks get something earlier that makes it magical
>>
>>50656456
I'd say to consider it magical damage. Wot4E is in no need of unnecessary nerfing. Besides, monk's unarmed strikes are considered magical from level 6 onwards anyway.
>>
>>50649710
Speaking of legendary actions, sometime soon I'm going to let my players briefly control the bodies of gigantic legendary monsters to fight a couple more enemy monsters. I've stated them all out (altered dragons, basically) and they all have legendary actions.

The thing that strikes me is, if there's 6+ creatures with legendary actions, shit is gonna get bogged down. Can anybody think of a way to deal with this? Initial thought is to let the first monster in the turn order go, then everybody does legendary actions in initiative order (or pass) then the second monster goes, then legendary actions in initiative order, etc
>>
for the spell Geas, they only take damage once per day if they disobey orders, but does the target know that it will only happen once per day, or is it possible that they would be fooled after the first round of damage and become obedient?
do they have to make a wisom throw to disobey or is the only incentive to obey to avoid the damage?
>>
File: pls no.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pls no.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>50656374
Chi Blocker mage-slayer type?
>>
>>50656562
That'd be fucking dope.
>>
>>50653143
Greataxe half-orc champion with some levels in barbarian (not enough for ANOTHER crit die because he wants the expanded crit range instead, but I think he still gets one extra die from barb? Don't remember). We play on roll20, so there's constant and tangible streaks as far as rolls go. He's constantly critting and doing huge hilarious amounts of damage to my scary encounters and, alternately, constantly dropping to 0.
>>
>>50656552
Yeah, take turns in initiative order and after each turn allow legendary actions in initiative order. It's going to be messy as hell, but you put yourself into this situation
Remember to write down whether you are on a primary turn or a legendary action turn, or else you might get lost in the initiative.
>>
>>50656225
>>50656169
kys goddamn
>>
>>50653537
We play in barovia, but a homebrewed expanded barovia that we started before cos was announced.

My half-orc battlemaster, being a terrible African warlord, has introduced a variety of tactics to be utilized in close-quarters combat
>weilding a rust monster against armored enemies
>using a dinner table to swat swarms of bats out of the air
>holding people's faces against the tracks a moving train is traveling on
>throwing chimera skeletons out of windows
>taming owlbears and using them as mounts
>beating people to death with food carts
Etc

There is also a smurf rougue in our party that uses handguns, who has pioneered sneak attack blasts to people's kneecaps that I greatly admire. Oh, also
>smuggling the smurf onto the train in a duffle bag made from the leg of an elephant to get the drop on folks
>duffle bag having been previously full of looted gold from strahds castle
>and had been used to effectively bludgeon people to death with the weight of the gold
>>
>>50649866
No it's:

Wot4E revised

Drunken master

Arcane monk

Bardic monk
>>
>>50656101
>>50656013
neutral characters can fight with good/evil characters and even characters of the same alignment can fight
he was just asking if you allow intra party fighting
the whole thread didnt have to get derailed so you faggots could hop on your soapboxes
>>
>>50656671
I certainly did. But I think my players will get a kick out of the idea of playing giant monsters, and if they're happy then I'm happy. But keeping it going smoothly will make everybody that much happier. Your suggestion will probably prove useful, I'll keep it in mind.
>>
I'm going to be playing my first campaign soon, I was thinking of going with a reach build built around he glaive, probably a Battle master built around tripping and disarming enemies.

Would I manage to actually be useful?
>>
>>50656799
Ask your DM if you can play a Bugbear (in Volo's Guide)
>>
>>50655446

Im playing a LE Tiefling FiendTomelock and id kill your psychotic ass for doing that without a second thought
>>
>>50656821
good you agree with my point lol
>>
>>50656799

Yes, reach characters are pretty strong. If you really want to make your DM cry, take Polearm Master and Great Weapon master.
>>
>>50656777
Legendary actions are designed for boss monsters so they are not trounced by action economy. If you're going to let your players play some powerful legendary monsters, I'd suggest removing legendary actions from the mix, since they'd certainly contribute to slowing everything down.. Maybe keep the legendary saves and give them a little something extra to compensate.
>>
>>50656819
I am, that extra five feet looked killer
>>50656799
Was going to go with polearm master already but I'll look into great weapon master
>>
>>50656799
Yes, fighters are badass and the maneuvers are generally pretty good, I think both tripping and disarming require saves and I have terrible luck in that department, but the effects are very good.
>>50656819
If this makes sense for the game/party go for it, but since it's a monster race and the book warns they are very niche, it may not be the best option for your first game. Ask your DM. But the reason he suggested it is because they get extra 5ft of reach which you said you're specifically after so it makes sense.
>>
>>50656869
Yeah, It's supposedly just going to be a simple campaign that's not too serious for new players so they already know.
>>
>>50656843
Might consider this. Also it occurred to me that the damage they do is meant to hurt but not quickly kill player characters- meaning the fight might take forever. I might double the damage dice, and remove all legendary actions except maybe one for each creature (things like regeneration) and limit each to one per turn.
>>
>>50656444
>>50656777
>>50656888
Check 'em
>>
>>50656799
extra 5 feet is nice but it can't be compare to Variant Human's extra feat.
>>
> Polymorph someone into a Half-red dragon-polar bear
> My druid can now Wildshape into a Half-red dragon-polar bear

Is this legit? Wyrmling breath attack is negligible but 10 feet Blindsight is nice.
>>
>>50656388

Sun soul is the DBZ monk
Wot4E is the Avatar monk (though it needs fixing)

Drunken would be boss as hell.

Not sure what a Yu Yu Hakusho monk would entail. Spirit gun?
>>
>>50656456

Magical at level 6. It's just a ranged fist.
>>
>>50657001
>Half-red dragon-polar bear
Druids can only WS into creatures with the "beast" designation, and that is clearly an abomination
as is the creature they turned their character into
>>
>>50656554

Make an arcana/intelligence check to see if they know its once a day.
>>
>>50657001
No. Draconic traits are inherently not bestial in the eyes of Druidry.
>>
>>50657046
>>50657040
>Draconic traits are inherently not bestial in the eyes of Druidry

Said where, Half Dragon doesn't change your creature type in this edition.
>>
NEW THREAD
MONK HYPE

>>50657090
>>50657090
>>50657090
>>50657090
>>
>>50657054
It's a template, m8. You don't apply templates when determining wildshape.
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.