[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do I need for a cloud giant city campaign?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 20161209_115631.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161209_115631.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
I got this so far!
>>
In the east is the port that ships people up and down. West is a crudely made area for small folk, and the south-east is the arena, bc this campaign is centered around this great challenge festival thing.
>>
>>50649120
You could draw some inspiration from the skypiea arc of one piece
>>
They'll need somewhere to put all their riches.

Some kind of cloud bank.
>>
>>50649120
A plot.
>>
Yeah 93, that is interesting. I was wondering about where to locate the city geographically- whether to have it entirely mobile or on a fixed location/area. Maybe even in an ocean Gyre loop around a storm giant dwelling.
>>
>>50654149
What the fuck are you doing?
>>
File: Monkey-orchid3-550x407.jpg (69KB, 662x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Monkey-orchid3-550x407.jpg
69KB, 662x1024px
>>50649120
Dungeon Magazine #16 had a great adventure called Palace in the Sky that was perfect for this.

Too big to upload here, I'm afraid, but if you can't find it I'll upload it to some site.
>>
It's not completely clear yet, but it is supposed to be a grand festival that cloud giants are hosting involving gameified dungeoneering and monster slaying for themselves and a few guests, and small folk are dragged along as unwitting participants. There's more- but I have two months to work on it so, I'm taking it slow.
>>
>>50654250
Here you go.

https://dropfile.to/bpZMz0z

Also, stop namefagging, it's not polite around here.
>>
>>50649120
How many giants are you talking about, and more importantly, what do they need logistically to make a city?

Where do they get their food? From herds of fluffy floating cloud-sheep that suck the dew from the grass they graze upon at dawn?

Is there a cloudforge that presses together the occasional nimbus into nebelbrick to make their mighty edifices?

Do they hire storm chasers to bottle lightning, hanging the jars to light their streets?

Does everything have to fly, or are they just all naturally buoyant?

More importantly, what is the government of their city? Is there a king, a council, or is it just a city by tradition?
>>
>>50654680
>More importantly, what is the government of their city? Is there a king, a council, or is it just a city by tradition?
Alternately, is its population a side effect of its position? Do jet streams converge around the city, making it a trade nexus?
>>
All great stuff, the kind of detail only veterans can provide.
That module was fantastic. I would have loved to be able to receive whole modules each week at the price of a god damn game-informer.

80 and 51, I'll be sure to get those down too. Anyway- here's the two hooks so far:
>>
>>50654839
So you know, you can just click on that number and get a quick reply box that links to our post.

Also, food supply is the biggest issue with any city - as >>50654751 rightly pointed out, most towns are located at some place of great importance, which historically is a crossroads for trade. I like the jet stream convergence idea.
>>
Player Hook- the party is crossing between areas and rests for the night. In the distance, the noises of another party of creatures is heard through the dark. Stumbling upon a cult meeting, a charismatic creature is trying to tell stories of a god that came down to them. Just a teasy lead-in that I can use to sneak in exposition.
> Adventuring the next day, the everyday situation is turned on it's head when puffy white clouds cross past the sun, and descend until they are less than a hundred feet off the ground. With light parting through the clouds, a huge glowing figure extends out a hand to the group.
-The idea is to present the giants as god-like figures, and make the whole introduction of being hauled up into a cloud or ship and taken into the sky as being overwhelming to some characters. This is contrasted and amplified by the two prevailing characters. The charismatic cloud giant G2, and the sinister G3- who will do everything to convince small folk that giants are indeed gods and should be treated thusly.
-A grand tournament festival thingy is being put on, and almost a dozen bands of small folk have been taken up like fantasy football teams to be put into challenges for otherworldly gamblers and circusgoers.

Gameplay could involve rounds of intense grueling tri-wizard tournament madness of defeating lesser giants, solving maddening puzzles, and dueling other teams brought up the same way you were. After each contest, downtime would be given for the party to move around the city or possibly go down to the ground for weekends, weeks, or months of downtime. Think possibly like pmttyd's wrestling themed chapter? (Actually that was in the clouds now that I think about it, hot damn subconscious way to steal that idea) As teams die or drop out, the party may be viewed as growing celebrities or develop bitter rivalries that can cause intrigue outside of the arena.

I can elaborate more but, how much of this loose idea sounds....dece?
>>
DM Hook- there are three important Cloud Giants. Depending on the final population of cloud giants involved, each may head a family-house of giants.
G1 is closely tied to Storm Giant dealings. Big head honcho here leaves the clouds prior to the adventure to attend to matters. However, he leaves the other two his parting thoughts on something he's been mulling over. Small folk have a lot of potential, and that giants have a lot to learn from them. Then poof, leaving G2 in charge.

G2 is the unwisely optimistic leader (think 123 odin thor loki or other similar comparisons) who takes this idea and runs way too far with it. He sets up a grand tournament where small folk will be invited up to the clouds to participate in challenges to show the giant world how great small folk can be. He believes that himself and others should not be viewed as gods (how silly of someone to thing such) and wants to get to know small folk through their skill and prowess. By pushing them to their limits, he hopes to show fellow giants and other politically involved fey and dragonkind how great these mortals can be. And if they turn out to be not-so-great, it will be fun to watch them try!

G3 is the crooked spoon, not of any fault of his own. I have plans for him to be an unwitting Djinni in disguise somehow- possibly even with plans to suck the entire cloud city into the elemental plane of air. Secretly leading a cult with intentions to usurp power and push everyone involved towards a more evil perspective. This can be done either by brutally taking control of the palace while people are distracted, by interfering with the competitions and rigging bets so that he can attain the wealth needed to usurp power, or other through more catastrophic means.

- yeah I haven't been on any board in years, so I'm learning. inb4newfag

-As for food, I have the idea of this city orbiting around the center of an ocean Gyre (circular current) that passes along several continents- so trade
>>
>>50649120
clouds.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.