[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

10 d&d 5e archetypes for your perusal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: dungeonmaster.png (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
dungeonmaster.png
10KB, 259x194px
Here are 10 archetypes for you to look at and judge. No, you can't comment directly on the file. I know better than that ;)

In here you'll find archetypes for barbarians, bards, druids, fighters, monks, rangers, rogues, and warlocks.

Collection 1:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1na9rG3n7R5KBzJ1kCMrKyCezG-tUVKA5tm01gAbxTo8/edit?usp=sharing

Collection 2:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F5TO8ICqLDs9YTigLVNaoYd1QTgHWUHw4HB5bFSTYMo/edit?usp=sharing

tell me what you think!
>>
Literally all of these already exist.

0/10 wasted effort
>>
>>50647935
wow. who put salt in your vagina bro
>>
>>50647935

Got a link for comparison?
>>
>>50647897
I hate Generals as much as the next man, but you'll probably get more information out of the appropriate one in this case.

>>50641298
>>50641298
>>50641298
>>
>>50648113
thanks. I'm new to 4chan because I've always been a scared little boy, so a friend's posted a link there for me
>>
>>50647897
Have Ranger animal companions been fixed yet or is the mastiff just a better animal companion ranger?
>>
>>50648158
the mastiff has less hit points (ish), and the Revised Ranger has a better animal companion than the base. The ranger also has more choice in his companion. but yes, the druid's is probably better in general :P
>>
>>50648204
better than base ranger I mean. the revised ranger's is far beyond this one.
>>
With the Spirit Shaman path you're not able to cast spells until 6th level while raging, which means you're choosing to be weak-spell or less-effective-raging. And do NOT add rage damage bonus to healing spells, it just makes goodberry more fucking ridiculous. And do not make reincarnate a genuine class feature, just... just don't. Especially if they can choose the end body.

Giving Monks the ability to use an improvised 'shield' is interesting, but pushes their already potentially massive AC higher. And there is literally no benefit to treating improvised weapons as monk weapons, as you're just doing the same damage as you would with your unarmed attacks at any higher level than 5. And although its characterful right now the dronken munkey character's first action in every single fight is to fall over and do the worm over to enemies. Don't link abilities to the presence of temporary hit points, as all it takes is for the party to have a second source of temp HP and shit is less effective.

For the Skirmisher, on my turn I move 5 feet back and 5 feet forward for 10 feet of movement. Do I quality for Skirmish? Do all attacks quality for it, in which case a ranger at level 9 who uses two short swords and hits with all three attacks does 12d6 damage in a single turn at no resource expense.
>>
>>50648379
I can see the point for "rage damage not adding to healing spells". But why not the reincarnate a class feature? It's basically a not-as-powerful version of resurrect when you get it.

the improvised weapon bit is flavor, and you still MOVE at half speed while prone, you just don't use any to stand up. I see your point about the temporary hit points, and will work on finding a different solution. maybe an "immediately after using" thing.

Skirmish is designed to be once-per-round. I'll check the wording to make sure it's more clear. And yes, you can move back 5 feet, and move forward, to gain it. I'm possibly changing it to be "half your movement" or some different qualifier.
>>
>>50648379
While I like the idea of duelist, right now making every single attack they do require a new dice roll for the charisma (deception) check will slow things down and mean there's a solid chance in a one on one fight the rogue is fucked if their deception rolls go poorly. Abandon the idea of splitting sneak attack die and focus them on the Tricks thing a bit more, BUT allow them to use tricks on attacks that do NOT quality for sneak attack damage, but the die cost is doubled. This means even if they fail the deception check they can still make more interesting decisions in combat. Hell abandon the deception check idea and say they can quality for sneak attack damage if they have already hit the target once this turn, putting more emphasis on a two-weapon fighting style. Talking fighting styles, drop those. They add either 1 AC (woo) or +5 damage assuming maxed dex bonus, which is fucking nothing once a rogue has that many fucking sneak attack die.

Protected asset feels very underwhelming. It's already at the end of the surprise round initiative order, so it's just a single extra spell you can cast AFTER it would be useful. The Genie Patron idea is interesting, but offers nothing to really make it appealing.

The College of Despair feels really weird. They're a depressing bard, but because of Dirgesinger they're one of the best around at charm spells. And give some kind of range to singing abilities, especially with the one-two punch of Dirgesinger and Song of Sorrow. They're described as a debuff bard, but really they're just a scary bard.

The mastiff feels really out of place with the circle of the community. Everything else is about being used to the city, then suddenly you get a magic dog.

I'm just not seeing the appeal of Gladiator. I get to hit people with my shield and have a better chance to cause or defend against grappling. It's no maneuver die. Hell, it's no improved crit range.
>>
>>50648668
I prefer the Warlord. I can see the appeal of it, even if it is specifically designed to ONLY work for melee characters (any reason it doesn't work for ranged characters? Fighters are already the best bow using classes in the game).

For Enforcers, does Strongarm mean I can sneak attack with versatile weapons? Because being able to sneak attack with a battleaxe but not a great axe feels like a weird distinction. The class basically feels like it is designed specifically to be the 'push over and kick them while they're on the ground' rogue. Also always remember (especially with things like Thug) that the character is likely going to be encountering other worldly and inhuman enemies. Why would an Otyugh be frightened of a thuggish looking person? And with Shake It off, I assume you know you already add your con modifier to your hit die healing on short rests, so you're doubling the con bonus.
>>
>>50648463
Raising the dead is a personal flavour thing in D&D and some DMs like to heavily restrict it or add more challenge to the attempt. So basing a class feature around something a DM can legitimately say is incredibly rare is not a good plan.

Honestly for the drunken monk thing I'd say give the player a few other options, some they can ONLY do while prone and some they can only do while not, and allow them to (once per turn) go prone or stand up for no movement cost. So the player is making the choice of being prone or not for tactical advantage.

I'm still unsure about the sheer amount of damage the character is gaining even if its a once per turn thing. Comparatively the Paladin gains +1d8 damage on two attacks per turn at level 11, while at level 13 the Skirmisher is doing +4d6 for free.
>>
>>50648668
I liked the suggestion for dropping deception. it also didn't mesh well with the RAW for two weapon fighting. and how would you be able to double die cost if you don't have sneak attack eligible?

Likely, I'm going to drop the +1 AC option and you just /get/ duel wielder. The idea is to allow your offhand attacks to deal as much damage as your main hand. If you miss, okay, you're still doing same damage. If you hit with all of them, though, it significantly boosts your damage.

I'm probably going to change "Protected Asset" to be any surprise round at the beginning. thanks for the feedback here and the Genie patron is one I've been iffy about in terms of power level since its original conception.

"Frightened" is more of a condition you apply as a debuff. it's a powerful debuff, as well. Thematically, yes, it's "scary". Mechanically, it's the frightened condition. and to get extra charm capable, you DO have to spend bardic inspiration. I will give it a range tho, probably 30 feet or so.

Yes, a magic dog. This one I am willing to change, but it felt good as a placeholder until I find something I like more.

The Gladiator is like a debuff fighter. Obviously, every archetype isn't for everyone. But knocking someone prone or restraining them is very powerful mechanically.
>>
>>50648750
Because it's designed as a tank, and thematically, I feel like ranged characters shouldn't tank lol. And yes, it does. The heavy/two-handed limitation is more of a balance/scaling ruling on my part. I'll do some number crunching to see how it fits.

I read the short rest bit specifically to see if you already added you con modifier, and I missed that entire piece lol. I'll change the wording to "double" instead of "Add". Thanks for pointing it out.

....and an Otyugh would be frightened if it's getting hit by 7d6 sneak attack die lol. I added a sneak attack qualifier. So you kick them while they're down and then they're scared. :P
>>
>>50648831
It's a good thing College of Despair is a homebrew then! lol. it's up to DM choice whether you can use it or not.

I liked the idea of stance-dancing for a monk, but I wasn't really sure how to implement it. I'll put it back on the drawing board because I like the idea.

A Paladin deals 2d8+4 damage, average 13, on 2 attacks, so 26 damage if both hit, at level 11. At 13, a skirmisher is doing 1d8+4+4d6, which is an average of 22.5 on one attack. I think it's fair. :) this is of course assuming +4 bonus on attack ability score
>>
>>50649019
if the paladin is a two-hander weilder, that's 2d6+4+1d8 on 2 attacks, for 15.5 each. 31 damage average if both hit, btw.
>>
>>50649019
The raising the dead bit was in reference to the Spirit Shamans getting reincarnate. Something I'm still not comfortable with. Getting just a flat "Yo dawg its call I can reincarnate you" once a day ability is insane, especially for a 1/3rd progression caster.

>>50649019
I'm not too familiar with the UA Ranger. Do they no longer have additional attacks?
>>
>>50649127
Reincarnate has a material cost of rare oils and urgents worth at least 1000gp, which the spell consumes. so it's def not free.

The UA ranger doesn't, no. it's gained as an archetype feature instead, so they can better control the power scaling with the animal companion
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.