[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

worldbuilding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Anyone is up to be creative for a while? I leave this here. The idea is to create a setting by answering eight questions. I don't have mine yet, I'll post them when I do.

1. What is strange about the world's geography/cosmology?

2. Why did the last war started?

3. What is a common thing in our real life world which is a prized treasure here?

4. What is this world's particular way to solve disputes?

5. Which hazard is that one which people is always preparing for?

6. Which one is waiting to arise, totally unexpected?

7. Which kind of people are here most respected?

8. Which was the last invention to enter in people's everyday lives?
>>
That's no way to build a world unless you want a totally random world that just lives off its comedic effect.
>>
>>50645929
I dunno. Obviously it's not all the questions you need to answer or even the most pertinent ones, but it does help you focus in on things that might be significant or interesting.

Rather than just saying "it sucks" how about suggesting alternatives?
>>
>>50645849
Here's a quick one I did of an older setting of mine.
>1. What is strange about the world's geography/cosmology?
The world is populated with the undead, rising from their graves after an indeterminable amount of time. They lose their memories with the resurrection, but retain echoes of skills they had. The physical condition of their bodies does nothing to impede or change this process, except for reviving them in stranger and more monstrous ways. This effect is especially prevalent in the western hemisphere, and on the western continent of the Waste.

>2. Why did the last war start?
The most recent official war was some fifty years back, the latest in a repeated attempt from the eastern capital of Sunholme to conquer the no mans land that is the Waste. It failed, but there are still a major group of deserters and fanatics carrying on their efforts.

>3. What is a common thing in our real life world which is a prized treasure here?
Living animals, especially scavengers. Most of these get fucked over when they eat a corpse and then have it reanimate in their stomach and pull them into the ensuing new undead.

>4. What is this world's particular way to solve disputes?
East of Sunholme, conflict is settled through barbed and brutal diplomacy, with high intrigue and courtly drama being prevalent. In the west, it's settled primarily with gunpowder and iron.

Continued in the next post.
>>
>>50646546
>5. Which hazard is that one which people is always preparing for?
Ancient undead awakening is always a problem. When there's absolutely no body left to revive into, the new undead revives into the land itself, leading to problems when a hill suddenly decides to walk away with a town on top of it.

>6. Which one is waiting to arise, totally unexpected?
The Five Parts, remnants of the primogenitor ONE and closest thing the setting has to gods, while forgotten by the majority of the world, still act and scheme behind the scenes. Each harbors an incomplete and dangerous view of how the world should be, and have no sense of scale in regard to mortal effort.

>7. Which kind of people are here most respected?
In the east, it's all about bloodline, ancestry, reknown, and the deeds you can put to your name. In the west, reputation, infamy, power, and ruthlessness are considered more respected virtues.

>8. Which was the last invention to enter in people's everyday lives?
The telegraph interestingly enough. While electricity is still sparsely used across country, it works well within small areas.
>>
>>50645849
>1. What is strange about the world's geography/cosmology?
There is a great mushroom forest in the equator. Everything alive that crosses it gets infested and, when it dies, infest the place with mushrooms. This is the way the forest has to replicate itself.
>2. Why did the last war started?
A rebellion against the ruling classes. A communist government has efectivelly taken over the oldest kingdom of the land.
>3. What is a common thing in our real life world which is a prized treasure here?
Seafood. There is very little sea surface and it makes it a luxury good in the most part of the land.
>4. What is this world's particular way to solve disputes?
Intelligence and Counterintelligence are a very common thing on this land. Every kingdom sends spies to live on the neighboring countries in order to steal secrets and tech
>5. Which hazard is that one which people is always preparing for?
War.
>6. Which one is waiting to arise, totally unexpected?
Nature response to overexplotation, via ffvii Weapons
>7. Which kind of people are here most respected?
Is a time for philosophers and leaders. Communism, humanism and all kinds of religious leaders are on the rise. Some of them are well treated by the ruling class. Others are not.
>8. Which was the last invention to enter in people's everyday lives?
Independent media. That means radios, newspapers and theatre companies.
>>
1. What is strange about the world's geography/cosmology?
Large craters and sinkholes caused by bomb drops, expanses of dust,rust and radioactive debris and ancient buildings that over time have become essentially giant plant pots full of trees and moss wrapping their way around the structure
2. Why did the last war started?
Political tension brought on by violence in the east , the tension of a second cold war , resource/technology competition and manipulation by shadow societies
3. What is a common thing in our real life world which is a prized treasure here?
Knowledge. Books, working machinery which is all few and far between.
4. What is this world's particular way to solve disputes?
Violence or bartering.
5. Which hazard is that one which people is always preparing for?
Attack by monsters, storms, attack by other humans, attack by things that arent human and various other post-apocalyptic hazards (disease, robots etc.)
6. Which one is waiting to arise, totally unexpected?
The societies didn't die out themselves and are gearing up to make their plays in the 'new' world.
7. Which kind of people are here most respected?
people with technical/Agricultural know how and people who can get shit done.
8. Which was the last invention to enter in people's everyday lives?
Since the rise of New Britania, mass produced, weaponry and primitive guns.
>>
>>50646270

I'm not >>50645929 but to me these look like cultural questions. Applying them to a whole world in general will make it bland.

On top of that, number 3 is just silly. What real life item would they treasure? Anything; a car, a fridge, a phone, even a lighter would be amazing to them. Since they don't know about these things, this has no bearing on their developement. This doesn't help define anything.

Scratch off number three and ask the other questions about each culture. What is unique about the elves geography? What do hazards do the dwarves faces often? What was the most recent goblin invention?

If you want to get really crazy look up Dr Zahir's ethnographic questionaire in the worldbuilding general, it goes into crazy details.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.