[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on DMing in General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: WellWithNachos.jpg (14KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
WellWithNachos.jpg
14KB, 194x259px
'Ello TG, I am fairly new to the DM scene, only having about 5-6 sessions under my belt. I am having fun giving my players an adventure, but I would like some advice on certain topics.

-How would one deal with a player whose actions are very 'Mary Sueish' and partially derail interest + atmosphere?

-Because of the plot I have in mind, how would you have the main antagonist(s) break the fourth wall in a major way without sounding incredibly cheesy/convoluted?

-How could I engage everyone (Usually 4-5 players) so that they don't drift off during the slower parts?
>>
>>50639861
We need more specifics.
>>
>>50639861
-Talk to the player about the mood you're trying to set. Say you respect what they want, but at the same time, it can't come at the detriment of other players' experiences. Tell us more about the behavior. Is it lol so randumb or to they try to make themselves the center of every scene?

-Ask yourself if it feels earned. Have there been hints of it throughout the campaign, or will it come out of nowhere?

-Try to have something for everyone if you can help it. It's the players part to act just as much as it is to react. Set up situations that they can interact with, let them make something for their characters to do, give them some agency.
>>
>-Because of the plot I have in mind, how would you have the main antagonist(s) break the fourth wall in a major way without sounding incredibly cheesy/convoluted?

Play it 100% straight. They break the wall, that's it. Just throw it out there with no explanation as to how they're self aware.
>>
>>50639861
>player
How are the actions "very 'Mary Sueish'" and how do they impair interest or atmosphere?

>Plot requires antagonist(s) break the fourth wall
Explaining impossible things in game is my wheelhouse, but I need to know how the fourth wall is broken. Is it just info or actions taken? Is the character fully aware, partially aware, or unaware of the game?

>Players drift off during the slower parts?
Why are there slower parts?
Why are the players not engaged?

In short:
>>50640000
>We need more specifics.
Quads here was right.
>>
Figured it would be better to post here than bump off another thread.
If I ought to create one, I will.

I'm a newfag to ttrpg, and my group of friends wants in over the holidays. So I figured I'd have a few one shot games with something super easy to learn, but could cover anything from space pirates to 1920s detectives to something something horror.
I've played call of Cthulhu and some guy's d10 dicepool homebrew, so I currently have a preference for the d10 and d%, if that helps.

I'm looking for something simple and flexible enough that they can just learn one system and be done with the rules, move on to the different games.
>>
File: Risus.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Risus.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50643705
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.