[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG RPG Tabletop Discusion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: mtg-logo.png (93KB, 1496x422px) Image search: [Google]
mtg-logo.png
93KB, 1496x422px
What system would you run a Magic game with? What plane would you run it on?

Can any existing system handle the variety of barely street level nobodies and oldwalkers with huge armies, and everything in between?

Is that even possible?
>>
>>50628393
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/M:tG_RPG:_Revised

We should just finish one of the two projects we already have for this.
>>
>>50628393
Someone was working on a dedicated MtG system, I don't know where it is though.

It was just ok from memory; Did the thing they sometimes do with trying to use the actual cards and a shuffled deck for stuff, which isn't my cup of tea.
>>
>>50628393
Zendikar would be the obvious plane to set a campaign in, Innistrad and it both have supplements to help you do exactly do that, but the correct answer is probably not to limit yourself to any single plane. You really can't show charm of the setting without some planeswalking.

It'd be best to start in any plane you see fit and then have the players ignite as planeswalkers mid-campaign. Do it too early and it won't feel special enough.
>>
File: doggos.jpg (46KB, 444x468px) Image search: [Google]
doggos.jpg
46KB, 444x468px
>>50628417
The first one was what I was thinking of, thanks.

>both systems use a deck of cards
>>
I briefly tried to do that thing that WotC released for the BfZ release and it wasn't bad. Using 'walkers as gods along with some of the established ones there (the false Titan gods, the actuak Eldrazi titans as gods, known to Zendikar walkers). I even bought the art book for ideas and had a pretty cool arc going. The only thing that sucked was trying to make the monsters on Zendikar fit within the game's limits even with WotC's own suggestions. Had to stop the game because the main player and host was a totally bipolar wreck and hated that I knew about psychology and how to 'handle' him.

That said, I think doing a game on Innistrad would be far, far better overall, even with Emrakul's interference. Lot easier to match existing entries in various books with creatures and characters from there, plus the mythology allows for all sorts of angles.
>>
>>50628462
I was struggling with this idea before I realized that wizards is currently demonstrating that planeswalking isn't as a get out of jail free card as it tends to present itself. Walkers are able to follow each other, magic existing that can interfere with the walking process, it costs an amount of focus and stamina so influences like stress or duress can make it difficult or disrupt it, and panic button walking can make you end up god knows where, that may be the fire to the frying pan you just left.

Honestly, I was just worried about my players being too free, I don't want to railroad but I like to be able to point them in a general direction so the game can keep going.
>>
>>50628393
>street level nobodies

A dedicated MtG shouldn't bother with this, other systems can do it better and be fluffed as MtG. What we want is a system that'll do "Mighty Magic Melee or Caster that may or may not have an Army" since that's what MtG generally is to people.

Actually, how does Mutants and Masterminds handle minions?
>>
>>50628393
The only Magic RPGs I've played have crashed and burned, though that might have just been a lack of cohesion and cooperation from more or less everyone.
>>
>>50628571
The best way to go about it is to choose some planes in which the campaign plays out and then design subquests for the rest in a way they also work as a tour of the plane, visiting the most impressive landmarks and interacting with the characters they know from the tcg. Try to reduce the ammount of DM created NPCs in favour of already established characters. Players will like that and it'll greatly lessen your workload as GM.

Also, planeswalking is a wonderful tool to enable freedom, don't try to limit it much. Personally when characters planeswalk, I give them them three options:

>Go to the next main objective plane
>Go to any already visited plane
>Roll a die and go to random plane (alone or together)

In a way, the best way to keep things on the rails is actually encourage players to get outta them rewarding a completionist playstyle. If you don't allow players freedom, they'll try to thwart your plans at every turn to have their fun, just to challenge you. On the other hand, if you give them leeway, sure, they'll get off tracks now and then, but they'll always get back to them. Even more so if you instill a sense of urgency by making the antagonists actively make progress each time they delay. That way its all about completing the subquests efficiently so the main quest doesn't get hard as balls.
>>
>>50628393
>What system would you run a Magic game with?

I don't think any one system could cover the sheer variety of stuff going on in different planes, though if I wanted to have the party be planeswalkers, I'd probably go for GURPs, M&M, or another system that can cover a lot of different tones and power levels relatively well.

Otherwise, you just pick something based on the Plane that can fit the tone better. Innistrad is the gothic horror plane, so you'd want something like Call of Cthulu or something Bloodborne styled. For Theros, you'd want something for more puppy heroic fantasy. Lorwyn? Something more narrative and whimsical. Esper? Shadowrun.

What plane would you run it on?

My preferences would be Ravnica or one of the Shards of Alara. There are a lot of good ones though
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.