[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Times when your RPG heart was crushed" General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 37

File: 1457252880257.gif (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1457252880257.gif
3MB, 600x338px
>really like X rare, obscure game
>desperately want to play X game
>successfully find online group for X game
>spend a whole afternoon building a character, writing a backstory
>spend the evening and night talking with the GM, revising my character, getting to know what they have in mind for the campaign

>game day
>other two PCs are complete and utter edgelords
>shameless, "feral barbarian" and "shadowy assassin" edgelords who "like to kill"
>they kill random people for no reason
>GM has no problem with this
>try to report other PCs to the authorities
>GM calls me a PvPing snitch

How has your RPG heart been crushed recently?
>>
I'm an forever GM with no friends that can commit to a schedule and all my FLGS groups are just min-maxing Pathfinder Society players who have no interest in the RP part. It's basically/tg/ hell.
>>
>>50622308
>13 people in the game
>6 people waiting for their turn that will never come
>3 people that never played before
>2 edgelords
>Pink haired anime randumb.

>I'm the only cleric
>GM doesn't tell me anything about his homebrew deities or world lore
>Get hired for free to hunt bandits
>Head in random direction from city with no information or preperation
>Asks me to roll perception
>nat 20
>"You're surrounded"
>ask if I should roll initiative
>"No, there are too many."
>Get hit 6 times
>Skip my turn
>Get hit another 6 times and die

>Bandits flee
>Party sets up camp and anime character polymorphs into a cat
>I was the only casualty
>Roll20 not even once

I still don't know what deity I followed.
>>
File: 1472371070966.gif (843KB, 500x487px) Image search: [Google]
1472371070966.gif
843KB, 500x487px
>>50622308

Update.

I am still in this game at this very moment.

The session culminated with an important negotiation against a critical NPC. After ~45 minutes in real time of my character negotiating with this NPC (because the others were hardly being helpful in this), expending resources to do so, and coming to a peaceful resolution, one of the other PCs declared that they attacked the NPC.

I tried to stop this, but ultimately could not. The GM went along with it.

Everything went to hell from there, sparking a bloody battle.

My character has opted to stay out of this, and I will probably be leaving the game afterwards.

>>50622396

Why did the GM allow that many players?
>>
>find group on roll20 for GURPS
>3 cool guys (Gm included). 1 not cool guy
>not cool guy didnt say shit in the discord and just left
>another honestly didnt find the game interesting so left
>Gm has some stuff come up and cancled.
>2 left me and another guy.

We are going to gm a game together but i feel like theres a curse on me
>>
>>50622502
I guess he was lonely.

btw you should've left that game already.
Either that or start trolling people.
>>
>>50622543
The same thing happens to me anon, every game Im in doesnt last more than 3 weeks, either the GM doesnt respond, the game is cancelled for personal reasons or most of the players leave
>>
File: 1481130353739.png (291KB, 750x366px) Image search: [Google]
1481130353739.png
291KB, 750x366px
>shadow run campaign is the only hobby and distraction from everyday grind I have left
>players keep on bitching and moaning at each other over the dumbest shit
>games constantly get canceled because people can't manage to show up for various reasons
>I'm busting my ass off preparing games for nothing

I have nothing left but work, bills and being shat on
>>
I GM.

>Wait, who's that guy again?
>What's at that place we went to?
>Who do these guys work for again?
>Remind me why they're doing this?
>>
>>50622308
>prepping for a fate/stay night campaign
>sequel to a previous, rather short but still enjoyable campaign in the same setting
>players are broken up into teams of three, with each master having two servants to make things more interesting
>first campaign was fun but the master played his character as somewhat whimsical and lighthearted, so he ended up getting his head evaporated when he agreed to "parley" with another team
>this time we're going full survival mode, with layers upon layers of schemes and magical protections
>master character act exclusively through puppet clones while his real body is hidden in a sealed bunker underground, totally inaccessible
>thanks to magic doesn't need food, water, sleep, nor air
>owns half the city because he's a rich oil monopolist
>the other servant player and I make sure to take abilities that will allow us to better protect him
>we spend days coming up with more and more defensive measures
>we're finally all prepared and ready to go, this time we're going to WIN

>game fizzles because none of the other teams show up nor does the other servant player on my team
>>
File: dead.jpg (304KB, 976x990px) Image search: [Google]
dead.jpg
304KB, 976x990px
>>50622396
sounds like a shit DM.

>>50622502
Sounds like another shit DM. Should of only had the one guy have to fight everyone else if you put that much effort in only for him to fuck up.
>>
Where do murderhobos come from?
>>
>>50624266
Video games.
>>
>drift into /tg/ from /ck/
>get hooked
>literally nobody I know in irl real life is interested in playing tabletops with me
>rolld20 feels too artificial
My heart hurts. I just want to seek glory with my friends while the cake is in the oven. Is that too much to ask for?
>>
File: 1338437976248.jpg (2KB, 126x94px)
1338437976248.jpg
2KB, 126x94px
>/tg/ finally releases an early ruleset for CATastrophe
>find my way into a group that's going to playtest it
>get my character set up and ready to go
>I am excite
>looks like everyone's set up and good to start, all the characters are done and the GM has an idea of what he wants to do
>a full month goes by with literally no posts in the forum we were using
>abandon ship
>>
>be playing tabletop games since college
>really enjoy them
>have work friends that I know would really love these games
>one of them out of the blue says that her roommate is going to run a D&D campaign and asks if I'd join because she knows I play
>get super excited
>we start playing
>the DM is fucking horrible
>there's no backstory to the world, nothing to do, every encounter is rolled randomly with no explanation
>I'm even trying to help the DM because he's new by suggesting when people could make rolls for things
>no matter what I do, he is just really no engaging at all
>one player falls asleep mid game
>the other one knits the whole time

fuck /tg/ I just want them to love the game, and they're going to think it's shit, but never know that it's because the DM is shit.
>>
File: 1481110341991.png (30KB, 675x543px)
1481110341991.png
30KB, 675x543px
>>50622784
This.
I GM Pathfinder and we're nearly approaching the session's 2nd anniversary, but thanks to people surprise cancelling or failing to show up we've only met up like eight times. Last session (a month ago) I looked at some character sheets. Of the four players, the paladin forgot to level up half a year ago and never increased any of his skills the time before that. He was fucking first level in a third level group. Also his skills say "paladin stuff".
The rogue had listed no skills or feats, and just guessed his AC when I asked for it. He was five points under.
>tfw you're a shit gm and you can't improve because nobody wants to play your shit games
We should kill ourselves together on livestream.
>>
>>50625287
Have you tried not GMing Pathfinder?
>>
File: 1480996194469.png (112KB, 276x269px) Image search: [Google]
1480996194469.png
112KB, 276x269px
>>50626186
Wow, no I never thought of that...
>>
>>50625287
In all seriousness, try a more rules-light system. Maybe your players enjoy the roleplaying aspects of the game, but don't like navigating through rules or working with numbers.

Hell, in a game like Fate, having a character sheet that says "paladin stuff" can be totally normal.
>>
>>50622502
>>50622308
What is this system, anyway?
>>
File: 1479749856465.jpg (67KB, 600x440px)
1479749856465.jpg
67KB, 600x440px
>In a videogame comunity
>People like to play boardgames/tabletop once in a while
>Seperate discord for all things PnP
>Join up in the hopes of getting a group together.

>Join one guys new pathfinder group, it only goes into 2 sessions with everyone telling the DM he's doing things wrong.
>The attempts of me trying to get people together for new groups get met with silence.
>Only one actuall group going on at a time with no actuall RP from what I've heard.
>Eventually leave.

>Later on find a few people scattered through said community that are interested in shadowrun.
>May or may not finaly get people together for something new for them.
>>
>>50625287
Why are players this retarded? I mean, character sheets aren't hard, even in fucking GURPS.
>>
File: 1480360636296-fit.gif (3MB, 700x285px) Image search: [Google]
1480360636296-fit.gif
3MB, 700x285px
>>50624950
>one player falls asleep mid game
>the other one knits the whole time
>>
>>50624950
You should DM yourself.
>>
>>50626957
A lot of players just want to play without doing any of the work first. Two separate play by post games I've tried to run using Labyrinth Lord, a system where character creation is picking a class and equipment, never got off the ground because only one person had posted a character after two months. I know play by post is slow but that's a little ridiculous.
>>
These threads make me appreciate my players, plenty of fun.

But I do wish I could save the people in these threads, plenty of you seem great and I love being an eternity gm.
>>
File: 1463890113827.jpg (392KB, 650x823px) Image search: [Google]
1463890113827.jpg
392KB, 650x823px
>>50626361

Godbound.
>>
>>50622308
It's more disappointment than broken heartedness.
>Playing in a rpg association, VtM game is launching, I sign up for it.
>Lovingly create a character sheet for a concept I had in mind in a long time.
>First session, turns out there are nine players.
>It's impossible to do anything since there's always someone who needs to have a word in private with the GM.
>Get bored to death and drop out on the third session.
>Didn't even get to do anything else than introduce my character to the group. We'd been stalling from the start and nobody except the "I-conspire-against-everyone-else" characters got to do anything.
>Farewell to my flapper vampire.
Don't get me wrong, I like it when characters have agendas, but the DM shouldn't have accepted so many people from the start.

>Only other WoD experience : a mixed-team NWoD paranormal investigation.
>We're playing as pre-made characters, I get a werewolf teen, the others are two mages and a geist. Sure, why not.
>Was supposed to be a one-shot but we're already two sessions in and the murder plot thickens.
>Gets all tense at the end of the second session when we discover why the murders are taking place. Now, to find the culprit!
>And then the GM disappears completely and we never get to know how the story ends.
>>
>>50624860
>CATastrophe
Sounds exactly like the yaoi comic of the same name, are you sure you weren't just playing out the lack of sex scenes like in the source material?
>>
>>50622308
I remember a time when I could hang out with friends for a few hours every couple of days and make stories we retell to this day.

But that was years ago wasn't it.
>>
>>50622845
>act exclusively through puppet clones while his real body is hidden in a sealed bunker underground, totally inaccessible
>thanks to magic doesn't need food, water, sleep, nor air
>owns half the city because he's a rich oil monopolist
>game fizzles because none of the other teams show up

yeah man i wonder why it sure sounds like a fun challenge thou i can't imagine
>>
>>50627416
That's par on the course for a powerful magus within the setting. They could have figured something out
>>
File: thisfuckingslut.jpg (64KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thisfuckingslut.jpg
64KB, 1920x1080px
>>50627432
idk senpai all I recall were teenage kids and lolis, not bootleg bond villains compensating for something with their ''completely inaccessible bunker''.
>>
>>50626186
Oh fuck off.
>>
>>50627432
Now im just remembering when that proffessor in fate/zero had his entire fucking building blown the fuck up. That was pretty great
>>
>>50627485
They went overboard but this does sound like stuff that happened in zero. Or at least it's enough like it that it's just a challenge and not unbeatable.
>>
>>50622396
>13 players

That should've been enuough red flag.
>>
>>50630516
It reminds me of Touko Aozaki (of Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners), she uses puppet bodies. Or Heaven's Feel true end. The bunker thing is a little like Fast Wheel's Hotel of Magical Hell that Kerry blew up in Zero, I guess.
>>
>>50627110
Hm, alright I'll take this chance.
If you promise to be my slut, I'll learn the system for you and run a nice solo campaign for you
What do you say?
>>
>>50622308

To be fair, this happened a while ago, but it still stings a bit.

>Be switchoff GM in group.
>Usually GM when other guy is planning out his next campaign, and vice versa.
>Other GM is amazing, absolute genius. I think I'm a pretty good GM myself, but I'm not on this guy's level.
>Players would ask why can't my games be more like Ian's, because he's fucking awesome.
>>
>>50632201
Deal.
>>
>>50632418
What sort of character would you play?
>>
>>50627110
Godbound's some good shit, nigga. I'm sorry to hear you got stuck with that crap, and I hope you have better luck soon.
>>
>>50624266
Its taught. Bad DMs that do nothing but snuff your backstory and ruin anything you dare to try and do are the number 1 source of murderhobos.
>>
>>50627485
Look, man, the 5th Grail War was a total fuckfest. Do NOT take it as standard at all.
>>
>>50627485
Ilya's a heartless bitch
>>
File: Proof.jpg (19KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
Proof.jpg
19KB, 350x197px
>>50632870
Oh, don't say that, its rude.

We have proof she HAD a heart, after all.
>>
>>50622396
>>50622396
DM sounds like a massive fag
>>
>>50632761
>implying any of the Grail Wars was ever a 'standard' outside of theoretical speculation on how one would go without all the possible shit that can go wrong going wrong.
>>
File: Pikachu.jpg (10KB, 333x331px) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu.jpg
10KB, 333x331px
>>50622308
This one just happened, it kind of stings.

>join college D&D for the first time a year ago
>The DM is god-tier, made a whole homebrew world and helps people build characters from the world
>Get hooked and become really good at it
>Meanwhile, still in contact with some friends from high school
>When we all graduated I cut ties with the douchebag head of the group, spent the whole of high school putting people down and obsessively trying to become the "alpha" of a group of nerds
>Most of them went with me, agreed that the guy was a douche, but a few of my best friends stayed with the douchebag
>We stay in touch through skype, discord, ect
>Pitch the idea of a D&D campaign to my friends
>They love the idea
>Old friends who stayed with douchebag hear about it, beg to join
>I let them, hoping we can repair the friendship
>Spend hours helping them learn how the game works, help build their characters
>First session comes, goes well at first, falters in the end but people like it
>They keep asking me about the rules and how to play
>I help them out
>Second session, things are finally starting to play out well
>They all like it
>Everything seems great
>Next week
>Only one player shows up
>The one player that was already still friends who didn't show up was sick, the other two ghosted
>They apologize, say they'll show up next time
>Next week
>Setting up for the session, the friend who couldn't show up last time comes
>Tells me that the other two guys abandoned the game and they aren't going to come
>Tells me they used everything I taught them to set up a campaign with the douchebag and ghosted once they learned enough
>Tried contacting the players to see if it was true, one won't talk to me at all and the other said they left because of college
>Friend shows me the douchebag's discord server, they're both setting up for a campaign with character sheets and notes
>tfw you thought you got friends back, but they were using you the whole time
>>
>>50633019
1 and 2 were ok. 3 was....

...hm. Look, the von Einzberns done fucked up bad there.

4 was mostly ok, it only really got fucky at the end.

5th was a fuckfest from start to end. There was not a single part of that War that wasn't fucked.
>>
File: sla-cover-scan.jpg (210KB, 900x1223px) Image search: [Google]
sla-cover-scan.jpg
210KB, 900x1223px
>Love pic-related.
>Had a group who ran and played it damn near perfectly.
>Have to stop playing due to work schedule.
>Eventually have to move away and never see them again.
>Manage to get another group interested.
>They're all edgelords.
>>
>>50622308
>want to play a gunslinger for a while
>finally have a chance to
>develop an interesting backstory
>even roll on a randomized appearance chart as per DM's rule
>get 3 sessions in
>DM has a plot and seems to be going places with it
>players do something creative and unexpected
>DM is terrible at thinking on his feet and one PC feels it harder than others
>DM lacks will and charisma to hold game together

Every time with that gm.
>>
>>50633163
I feel for that GM, completely me worryingly often.

I just keep winding up in situations where either I'm GMing to the best of my (shit) ability, or the game everyone's so excited for doesn't happen.
>>
>>50622308
>Find a Star Wars game
>GM lets us start with some cool stuff
>Want to play a cyborg
>Come up with lengthy backstory
>Game happens for a few sessions, things went well
>Game goes on hiatus for a few months
>A month ago, GM starts preparing to reboot the campaign due to some people dropping out during the hiatus.
>Excited to plat again
>Get told "Everyone is now force sensitive for plot reasons."
>Fine with this, but still would like to be a cyborg. Planned on using bare minimum amounts of the Force, just as a slight benefit rather than basing the entire character off of it.
>One week before the next session, get told ideas of what I should be playing instead
>Cyborg idea won't work anymore with this group, have to leave because I can't come up with a character that I'm interested in within a week.
>Ultimately have to leave

It's one of those moments when I want to just stop playing tabletop games. Moments where I work so hard on a character idea and it turns out to be pure garbage.
>>
>>50633051
let a lesson be learned by everyone here, if a 'friend' sides with douchebag, I'm guessing everyone here had to learn that lesson at some point.

The only time you can get them back is when douchebag does something that makes them fuck off.

Had a friend like this a long time ago. New kid, made friends with the douchebags first, told him what they are like, thought he wouldn't be a friend after that interaction. Week goes by and he finds out I was right and douche fucked him over. a decent friend for the 4 years I knew him. dude had a shit living situation, wouldn't shock me if he is dead because of his stepparent/ actual parent either killing him or pushing him to be kill himself...
>>
>>50632201
They can't post right now but if you want to reach them then search for "abugoflight" on Skype or "Earth Seraph Edna#1648" on Discord.
>>
>>50634929
Oh, man, that was 2hu? Shit, I feel all the worse for the guy. I really hope that works out for'm.
>>
>>50622350
Welcome to my world. Try it when you are a GM for fucking WoD.
>>
>>50624420
If you promise cake I promise you you can get your friends to give it a go.
>>
>>50626686
>dat pic

I chuckled.
>>
>>50624950

I second this. >>50626987

Show them how it's done, and you've just created a new group.
>>
>>50634210
I've had this happen to me multiple times. It's why I rarely trust people other than myself to GM anymore.
>>
>>50625287
>plays PnP in real life
>gets shit-tier people

WHO IS SURPRISED BY THIS? WHO????/

JUST USE GAMEFINDER YOU DUMB FUCKSSSSSSS
>>
Obligatory "very long-running game slowly reduces in frequency, players, and prominence due to our mutual development of real lives" post.

Aside from that
>Have been a perma-GM for a solid decade
>Join a game outside my usual tight-knit group, with strangers
>Do this solely so I can be in a game I'm not GMing
>It actually works pretty well, great setting, motivated players, etc
>GM is okay but not fantastic at actually GMing
>Goes on long enough to get attached, a few people drop but it distills us into the actually dedicated part of the group, which is fine
>GM starts to fall apart due to, too busy to do the work necessary, sessions get delayed, a few sessions skipped, etc
>offer my help with some of the 'grunt work'
>GM explains the long-term ideas and planning so I can work on things
>not too many ideas, but what he does have is frankly not that good and would probably drive the game to death
>he's open to discussing concerns which is good
>end up running a couple sessions that he would've missed
>players enjoy my sessions better than the GMs
>they effectively revolt and insist I run sessions while the GM is more of an 'idea man'
>fast forward a little bit
>I'm just GMing the damned game now.
Fuck.

I mean I love the game and the players. But, fuck.
>>
>>50639162
I'd rather gamble with not meeting new people first. Everyone knows their friends will almost certainly be asshat players but you gotta hope you're that rare lucky group.
>>
>>50639807
I hope the ex-gm was okay with it. I'd hate that to be a case of gm-cucking from his perspective.
>>
>>50632415
Because your players probably only have him to compare you to. You just happen to be the slightly lesser of the two they experience regularly. They're fucking idiots though. I love Filet Mignon, but I won't refuse a NY Strip steak because it isn't the same level of quality. The important thing should be that you're still eating steak, and it could always be worse.
>>
>>50633051
I'm genuinely sad reading your story. Sounds like those guys are fucking douchebags too. Fuck 'em. You're better off without them.
>>
>>50622396
>Roll20 not even once
I had to go through 4 shitty groups before I found a core of people that are fun to play with. Look for the slightly more obscure game systems.
>>
File: eeeeeeeee.jpg (13KB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
eeeeeeeee.jpg
13KB, 420x300px
>>50632415
>MFW I switchover GM with some other guy
>MFW my name is Ian
>MFW this post might be talking about me.

Please stroke my ego Anon and tell me you're talking about me.
>>
>>50622308
>Find some new people to play game with
>We all hit it off really well
>8 months pass by we move onto a new campaign as interest of the premade AP dwindled into nothingness
>Miss one day because emergency happened
>Get a text saying to never bother showing up again while in ER
It's okay I still have my main group but still man, ridiculous.

I kept quiet about questionable rulings and played my character out fully, we all had good laughs at some of the quirks of said character as well as the other player's characters, so it still makes me a bit sad to this day.

>Pro tip ; never let a tranny DM.
>>
File: denko.png (89KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
denko.png
89KB, 400x300px
>>50633051
you're better off without them, anon
>>
Why do so many shit tabletop players gravitate towards being the DM? It's an epidemic.
>>
>>50646095
Because they think DMing is being some kind of super-player.
>>
File: 1465437634867.jpg (584KB, 777x861px) Image search: [Google]
1465437634867.jpg
584KB, 777x861px
>spend six months world building a pirate-town setting while rpg group grinds through a friend's campaign
>create over 100 unique households with storylines and quests for players to invest in and an overarching plot
>create player avatar NPCs for the players to interact with in game (they would eventually become antagonists)
>make a spreadsheet so players can waifu/husbando NPCs and gain unique abilities for living with them
>make a level-up system from scratch based on IRL events players do so avatars get stronger if players do things like reading/writing/lifting/running/going out with friends/etc
>create prequel sessions so players can gain insights on the enemy and learn the rules

played through prequel sessions with everyone but then the group sort of fell apart.

Kill me.

Please end my suffering.
>>
>>50647651
You fell into the over-preperation trap! Ha! Ha!

I learned that one early on too. Do prepare ahead, just not by that much. Use things like the illusion of choice to help you help your players.
>>
File: forsene.jpg (2MB, 9000x9000px) Image search: [Google]
forsene.jpg
2MB, 9000x9000px
>>50647651
>doing anything but pulling the first few sessions out of your ass to make sure everyone actually wants to play before you invest in it
>>
>>50647651
I mean fuck it I like pirate towns.

Got any notes or something we can read through? It won't be the same as playing a session, but it'd probably be nice to let people see what you did.
>>
File: 1481070087981.png (103KB, 216x184px) Image search: [Google]
1481070087981.png
103KB, 216x184px
>>50622308
>GM and us players agree to do an experiment between two long campaigns.
>everyone searches for setting and gameplay ideas, looks at theory of rpgs, and so on, so we can try thingns and see what we should keep for the true campaigns.
>as a result everyone knows the rules perfectly and is super involved.

>since it will only rune for 2-3 sessions, we go experimental with our characters too. Munchkin plays a young officer full of doubt, I play a creepy miner girl, everyone is out of his comfort zone... And each PC has the most detailled backstory and psychological background we've ever done in our career.
>play bad guys in a sci-fi setting, because why not?
>GM gives us nice, well-ordered files with setting info
>we experiment with group character creation and have amazing party cohesion as a result.
>debriefing between each session to improve things.
>flashbacks at every session to refine the backgrounds.
>investigation, social interactions, all the submodules we've never dared to try before.
>it's a complete blast.
>most fun I've had in years.
>same for the other players.
>GM ends the third session with a TPK because he always wanted to experiment that.
I've seen three adult people ready to punch an old friend in the face over a ttrpg. And I wasn't that far off myself.
>>
File: 1474223982270.jpg (331KB, 753x707px) Image search: [Google]
1474223982270.jpg
331KB, 753x707px
>>50647651
>>50649246
seconding this. give it, anon. plz
>>
>>50642378
That's a huge misconception though, it's not rare or lucky to get a decent group.
>>
>>50646095

Maybe because they can't find/get kicked out of groups that let them play?
>>
>>50633116
>tfw getting the new reprint of SLAI
>probably never going to get to play or run
>probably going to fuck it all up if I do
>>
File: amoralfags.gif (7KB, 273x537px) Image search: [Google]
amoralfags.gif
7KB, 273x537px
>>50622396
Goddamn anon. I've been in almost this *exact* situation. There were 12 players, but it was also an in-person game, not roll20. I was the only cleric, in a party full of rogues. Three people never played before, two or three of the players were edgelords, and I too got killed because for some reason I got singled out while the party was too busy touching themselves to be of any use.

Pic far too related. The edgelords ended up infecting the newbies. DM gave me a pity rez with a local temple of my god pulling my corpse out of the street, but by that time the "party" had already started to burn half the town and declare themselves lords of the local castle. By that point, I was just fucking out. Not worth it.
>>
File: cares.gif (864KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
cares.gif
864KB, 500x270px
>>50622308
A long term gaming buddy of mine killed himself thursday.

Does this count?
>>
>>50654502
That really sucks, anon.

Any stories of him you wanna share?
>>
File: He's lost in the music.gif (5KB, 102x136px) Image search: [Google]
He's lost in the music.gif
5KB, 102x136px
>>50654721
Mostly him just being able to pull off crazy shit. I'm not good at greentexting. but he was always one of the most creative players at the table. Loved to paint minis, ran small/short games often. I knew he was depressed and we talked about it often. Always tried to be there for him. last talked last saturday about a rogue trader game he was wanting to run. And was trying to get him to watch an anime I thought he'd really enjoy.

I'll just repost the last game related story he told me from another of his games.

>There's myself, Oren the Seeker, the Bard Rhiannon, the Lady Evaine (apparently a paladin that doesn't know she's a paladin), the priest of a dead god named Eliador, the red wizard Memnon and his familiar Lockheed, and the ranger Hogan. Good party
>We're travelling through the country when we find ourselves trapped in a mansion, somehow, surrounded by murder mist
>So we start investigating the house
>I end up dying (nuuu), then get ressurrected by a Dragon (causing me to lose 5 hp because my Constitution goes down) (even bigger nuuuu)
>We then find a room full of statues, some of us poke the statues and Rhiannon of us gets horns, then loses her horns
>I got myself a perfect diamond
>We keep looking around, Hogan gets wings from a weird dream
>I end up nearly setting a demon free (my character is a deep dwarf, so I don't know a lot about the world)
>We end up getting half the party blinded
>Half the party recovers
>We find a large throne room full of skeletons
>>
>>50654901
>Eliador gets possessed and we're like "Oh noes!" because he turns Hogan into a frog.
And we end up finding a path back to the (gold) dragon, who says "There is a price"
>I immediately say "I'll do it."
>Because in my character's eyes, there's only one thing more important to him than his friends (getting some relics back that were stolen from his homeland)
>So before, I had a Charisma of 8 (about average for a dwarf really) and a Strength of 17, and being Lawful Neutral.
>Because of my act of pure selflessness for my friend
>My strength went down to 16 and my Charisma is now 16 (maximum for a dwarf)
>And I'm now Lawful Good
>My change in strength means I don't have a bonus to hit any more
>So I've just got +1 damage, not +1 hit and damage

It's probably not greatly formatted but whatever. It's the last time we talked directly about gaming matters outside of potential games down the line.
>>
>>50622308
>when 2e came out
>when skills and powers came out
>when GURPS came out
>when 3.0 came out
>when Gygax made a homebrew with dual class tracks and it blew donkey dick
>when 3.5 came out
>when white wolf pansified the most badass monsters of all into anne rice pandery, paving the way for stephanie whatshercunt's anal cumshot into the hobby
>when OGL came out and everyone filled the marketplace with trash
>when Pathfinder promised to make things right
>when 4.0 came out
>when 5.0 repackaged all the above and then had the temerity to charge a ridiculous sum for it
>when the current crop of trash came out reusing every bad mechanic there has ever been but pasting moronic brooding teleportsbehindyou anime tripe over top of it
>when people laud all of the above because they don't know anything better. you were supposed to have the best.
>>
>My small circle of close friends all want to play rpgs
>Nobody trusts themselves to DM well
>>
File: killmeow.jpg (75KB, 719x512px) Image search: [Google]
killmeow.jpg
75KB, 719x512px
>>50622502
That's fucking nothing. Ever had the other players kill your fucking familiar for XP points before? I'm still pissed the GM allowed it.
>>
>>50656506
>baww everything is terrible
What a baby. Pick a game and play it.
>>
>>50632761
Consider that out of 5 Holy Grail Wars that have happened yet, a whopping 3 were "total fuckfests" AND NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS ACTUALLY ENDED (nobody ever got the Holy Grail) meaning that one way or another, they ALL broke down. There were barely any "standard" ones by which to measure.
>>
>Join a game with some friends
>4 players, +DM
>Goes okay, bit of a killer DM, but I know this guy and expected it.
>Two weeks later, a new player joins, a friend of the DM, we help him make a character and teach him how to play, everything's okay.
>Two more weeks later, another new player joins, help her out and stuff.
>Another two weeks, another new player
>And then another
>And another
>AND ANOTHER
>We ended up with 9 players, with over half being clueless roleplayers that completely destroy the tone of the game and slow down combat so much it takes an entire session to kill a few goblins.
>One of the original player's character dies, so he decides to leave the game
>Next session another leaves after their character dies
>Because that guy left, and their characters had a very tied together backstory, he retires his character, and says it will take a few weeks to make a new one.
>Game, thankfully, crumbles after that because the LOLSORANDUMB can't hold the plot together.

This was early in the year, and I'm actually going to play again with that DM again soon, and he actually promised he wouldn't just keep saying yes to people joining.
>>
>Players going into unknown swamp to hunt creatures.
>Know there's a ranger who protects the trail thru it.
>They find his house, go to visit for directions & rest.
>Find an impostor doppelganger who's taken his place. They kill him in a fight.
>Real ranger is up in a hidden room where he fled when injured.

>Players find secret room, ranger inside doesn't know they're not enemies, says "Don't come in! I'm armed!"
>Player kicks in the door.
>Gets shot
>"Fuck this guy, I hate him."
>They lock him in the room and burn his house down around him.

....kill me.
>>
>>50622308

>>Been playing since AD&D days
>>Get invited to a PF game from a college buddy
>>Group has been playing together consistently for about two years apparently
>>The DM tells me to feel free and create a strong character when he hears how long ive been playing and says we will be 10th level
>>Alright time to flex that optimization muscle
>>Spend a week crafting a nice tier two Summoner thats not tier zero OP but still solid as hell and with a great backstory
>>Its one of my best paces of work and im excited to try this character out in a long term game
>>Game time and I find out they started RPGs two years beforehand
>>With 4th edition
>>Most of the PCs have no names or names like "Oracle" and "Monk"
>>The DM drops me in a dungeon with them that consists of small floors full of bashable monsters that need to be killed before the next floor opens
>>Its a fucking video game
>>Apparently all their games are like this so my backstory will never see any real use either
>>The party is weak and inept since nobody can do basic math to know things like "Monks suck"
>>My Eidolon does more damage than the entire party combined in a game where damage dealing isnt a huge priority
>>The DM is also completely out of his league and asks me to tone it down since my "Turns take so long with all those options"

Its mot all bad the Vanara Monk hits it off with my Monkey Eidolon and the group thought the character was pretty cool even if they werent used to stuff like that
>>
None of the people I play with can RP worth a damn, and my GM is shitty.

I don't understand, how is it hard to RP? HOW IS IT HARD TO RP EVEN TO A BASIC LEVEL? I DON'T UNDERSTAND
>>
God fucking damnit

So just today our roll20 pathfinder campaign ended, and heres why.

(I am sorry please bear with me)

>start new campaign with 5 friends almost a year ago now, most are new to PF in general with only me and a friend (we'll call him John) having experience in RPGs, John played with our DM before
>write a detailed backstory for our game, spend around two weeks making an 8 page backstory for my character as well as his sheet
>play for a few months, eventually DMs brother joins as another drops because of his job schedule
>all of us are friends up until his brother joins as a relative stranger to most, John tells me in private that our DM has previously had a tendency to ruin games by subconsciously "playing against the players", and contemplates leaving out of fear of the DM's brother joining
>he ends up leaving a few weeks later after seeing troubled waters ahead because of past sessions
>I didnt fucking listen of course
>first character the brother makes is a NE sorc whom he kills off purposefully because the party doesn't really flow with him well, is powergamed to hell and back.
>he re-rolls a TN sacred geo wizard and powergames the shit out of him, probably should have just quit here but eh, at least he works well with us now and goes out of his way to be helpful
>GM down the line kills our newbie party magus and gunslinger as they had metagamed and admits to having been mad at that, one rerolls while the other leaves, promises to lighten up after that incident and does in fact for awhile (was probably the worst red flag, I am sorry /tg/)
>wizard absolutely shits on encounters, it becomes evident to me that the rest of the party is sorely underpowered and unoptimized as time goes on
>>
File: 1442793245994.jpg (24KB, 367x395px) Image search: [Google]
1442793245994.jpg
24KB, 367x395px
>>50657400

Cont

>we are around level 13 as the plot drags on and our DM monologues a previous BBEG to the current arcs BBEG (a CE fire diety).
>I notice that the last 4 sessions have been our wizard getting stunned or otherwise totally shut down in combat from characters more or less made to disable him and no one else
>the final straw is when 5 dragonborn from the BBEG try to capture him, they use an unnamed potion to stun and deafen him for 6 rounds against his will save which failed at a whopping 37
>the dragonborn apparently use this potion before our wizard breaks invisibility and when he casts to BEGIN combat without any turn order being established for this relative asspull
>wizard gets disabled while we fight the dragonborn off in futility, wizard gets thrown onto a phantom chariot and is driven away to the BBEGs citadel
>new continent this takes place on has a magical problem where teleportation can send you to other planes because of an arcane scar and not because or wizard teleports us to where we need to go for this meandering shit of a story
>as a last ditch effort to save him we use a greater teleport granted to us by our wizard to maybe catch the chariot on the way back to the BBEGs citadel but instead we land a roll to the fire dietys plane and with the DM in surprise we end the session right there
>3 out of 5 of the session group say fuck it, its over
>a year lost because our DM is a control freak who had a power boner against his power bonered brother, and a bad roll sent us to our relative deaths otherwise

I did it to myself really, never playing with this DM again

Thanks for reading my blog, like, subscribe and shitpost
>>
>>50657422

Checked dubs and love your image. It fits the story particularly well.
>>
>>50657498

I sincerely thank you for the (You) in this trying time, anon.
>>
>>50657209

>>Finally get to play a game with my old school group when bro offers to be DM
>>He has never adjusted from AD&D very well to 3.5
>>Invites his younger bro and bros braindead fatass Juggalo friend that drives from suburbs
>>LilBro has a hero worship thing for us and is always worried about looking bad or getting killed
>>Jugalo cant walk through a room with a bowl of spaghetti without spilling it over our character sheets because it takes work
>>Other player is REALMAN who always gets way too attached to his manly warrior characters
>>It somehow comes together for about two years
>>DM weaves the best story ever REALMAN ends up playing like an epic hero and the boys never derail the game
>>Theres some problems here and there but we always have fun
>>Juggalo wreaks his car and the effort of getting a job a new car and showing up are too much for the two of them
>>Game stalls until I invite new g/f to fill the spot
>>She played D&D back in the old days and we reconnected after many years
>>RM pushes it because "FUCKYEAH I WANNA BAD ASS AGAIN"
>>Turns out I make poor decisions in life
>>Shes in game just long for the DM to commit to her being in the story and design the next big adventure
>>The game should be bust but RM basically badgers the DM into running it because he doesnt want to stop playing his Epic bad ass character
>>The DM runs it best he can but is obvciously unsatisfied disillusioned and out of ideas by the end of the story arc
>>Hes also really sick of the system which he never really mastered he struggles to keep up with us and just doesnt get things beyond the "I hit for D8 damage" low complexity of the old days
>>RM says "Ok I cant wait to see what ya got next week" and wants us drag it on to make him happy

Seeing that game drag on past its expiration date was one of the saddest things I ever went through especially since it was so much greater than the sum of its part in the beginning
>>
>>50657400
>>50657422
Dubs dubs and believable story
>>
>>50657237
Want to elaborate a little?
>>
>>50657750
The best co-player I've seen in 6 months has only been good-enough. Most of them are rather poor. I just don't get it.
>>
>>50658035
You have ridiculously high standards.
>>
>>50658045
I really don't.
>>
>>50658091
So what do these players do that makes them so terrible?
>>
>>50636549
Why would you feel bad for 2hu? I thought everyone hated him
>>
>>50622308
First there was the 3.0 release when I got the books and immediately noticed how bad the Fighter looked and thought "Wow this looks like garbage, I have to be wrong and missing something because this would never get through testing". Joke's on me, they did it on purpose and sword and board Fighter blew fucking ass, and so did the blaster Wizard I rolled up next who could barely do a quarter of a monster's HP in a turn if they were lucky. After that I put off playing 3E, and RPGs in general, until around the time ToB came out.

Then there was the d20 glut where I really really really wanted to play literally anything else but d20 games but couldn't unless I ran it myself, and since I don't enjoy running games it was a lose-lose situation.

Then there was the 4E release and the fuckterrible module it launched with. That broke my will to play RPGs for awhile because of how grindy, slow, and whiff-heavy the game's combat was at pretty much any level range. Most of that got fixed by the time I played 4E again and I ended up enjoying it the second time around, but to this day I haven't played a worse adventure module than that.

Then there was a homebrew campaign I was hyped to play in. Most of the players abandoned without warning all at the same time and killed it in the crib.

Then there was the 5E release and the finished game being an unfun piece of shit compared to the playtests and hitting several of the same sore points that made me hate playing 3E and 4E until they were fixed, but since they're never going to be fixed without a DM agreeing with my position and homebrewing most of the game from scratch I'm never going to touch that piece of shit ever again.

Then there was Shadowrun 5th 'crapping' on mages by making blasting a far shittier option while leaving the majority of what made them overpowered untouched. What the fuck, Catalyst?
>>
>Want to run a game
>Only have half-baked ideas most of the time
>When I do have an idea no one is interested
>I'd run a shit game anyway

I am my own heart break.
>>
>>50658512
Clearly some don't, given as I said, I felt bad that he got pulled into a garbage bait and switch game like that.
>>
>>50657027
Why not, it's the same shit game repackaged a million times. It's new to you, though.
>>
File: 1465092467608.png (78KB, 302x443px) Image search: [Google]
1465092467608.png
78KB, 302x443px
>I GM
>Motivation keeps running out faster and faster
>I have some sort of curse that every game I join crashes and burns within 2 levels, not from anyone's actions, but because the DM can't keep running it
>I've been DMing one game for two years, part of me just wants it to end, the other half won't let me quit until it resolves
God dammit, this shouldn't be that hard.
>>
>>50627070

Same here, anon. I have a small group of 3 players who RP beautifully, and make every session fresh. We have laugh out the hilarious moments, then get back in character, every one of us.

They're heavily contrasted by a club group I have, where 3/5 players have their one gimmick and that's it. The other two are more talky leader types, and shine when persuasion and knowledge rolls are needed. Otherwise it feels like they're drowned out by the "look how many d10's I'm rolling, I'm awesome" in combat situations. Because that's why we play Role Playing Games.

The club group is playing Exalted btw. Something I half regret, but want to finish. Because I've only ever finished 1 campaign in my 3 years of GMing.
>>
>>50643670

Well, I'll ask you a spoiler question and if you can answer it, I guess you're the same Ian.

Are we ever going to have an opportunity to find out what the banner of Kaynes actually does, or is it just going to be some vague divinely empowered item that helps win battles?
>>
>>50659194
Me too anon, me too.
>>
>>50663939
Welp, guess I'm not the same Ian then. I'll go back to languishing in adequate GM ability.
>>
>>50656506
>waaaah everything is bad
Consider gas
>>
>on and off Forever GM from Grade 10 to third year uni
>Out of nowhere, one of my most experienced players says he wants to run a twice a month EotE game
>get SUPER hyped, spend hours making my character before anyone else even knows about it
>intentionally leave his backstory pretty loose to allow for slotting in other people's characters
>end up working my then-gf's character into mine
>I'm Keff, an Imperial Navy dropout turned gang enforcer turned smuggler pilot, she's Blue, an AWOL Imperial Navy mechanic
>the group agrees that since we are the only ones with a cogent and intertwined backstory, we can form the core of the group

>Fast forward to game night

>Our ship is busted, we're stuck on some dump of a planet and need three parts, each requiring a short mission.
>We recruit at the cantina:
>>Grabbo, Rodian mercenary with a strong sense of honour
>>Corban, a big-game hunter with absolutely no morals
>>Zas, a mysterious guy in a cloak who just wants a ride
>We start to the first mission, to break into an Imperial outpost to steal a tax ledger
>Good banter gets going, some real good party dynamics
>Session ends when we trip the alarm just as we're almost home free
>There's never a followup session

Never been so let down in my life.
>>
>Run a game for a long time
>Players loved it and were proactive, keeping very invested in my story and the game, never missed a session, always remembered all my plot and setting details
>Hit a bout of depression
>Stop running game
>Players are understanding and super encouraging
>Years pass, friends grow up, move away
>Years later, with new players, never recapture the magic
>Friends still talk fondly of and wish we had finished that campaign
>>
>>50633051
These stories hurt Anon.
>>
>Want to play Unknown Armies since forever and a half ago.
>Actually be a square who doesn't read the spoiler bit to keep it fresh for myself
>FINALLY, run into someone who wants to GM for it.
>Make a character, get it all nice and ready
>GM decides he wants to do it play by post because his schedule is super busy and so are all of ours.
>We all join a website (I wish I remembered the name of it)
>GM has to "rate" the level of maturity the game will have.
>"Well, it's a horror game" he thinks. "I'll put it at the highest one because of the dark topics we could be presented with."
>Turns out, this site is owned by an Aussie
>Aussie site has a ton of retarded rules, such as "You cannot have two characters on one account" even though the site has that feature built into it and there is nothing stopping them from signing up twice anyways
>Apparently in the fine print, due to Aussie living in what seems like Nazi germany, the mods think that we're going to ERP and rape and murder
>Demand to see ALL of our personal IDs
>They legit want us to scan our IDs and email them to the mods along with our timestamped photos before we can run a game
>GM tells them to rightfully fuck off
>Game closed
>GM tries to start up another game, this time rating it much lower
>Too late. We're on the mod's shitlist.
>Mods passively-aggressively tell GM that if he so much as toes the fucking line between PG 13 and R rating, we're all going to face perma bans
>GM tells them fuck you and will look for another site.
>In the last act of stupidity on the part of this site, I go to delete my account, and find out that it's impossible.
>Have to send an email to this site's admin to tell him I have no intention of returning to this fuckwit place
>GM, having gone through all that bullshit, decides its not worth it can cancels the game regardless.
>>
I built a fun superhero character the for a game that never got past character yet creation for everyone. I was the only one out of an entire community that built a usable character with a back story.

Then i was also told I was too strong to be a pc despite using the same system as everyone else and giving my pc glaring weaknesses, so if the game would hVe went on, I would have been playing on the villains side vs. the players.

....It was a glass cannon build. Essentially a cut rate tissue paper Ironman that could overcharge it's reactor and turn into a stealth suit with lightning claws.
>>
>>50657400
>>50657422
Huh. I expected his brother to team up with him, not be his arch nemesis.
>>
File: 1457923994156.jpg (68KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457923994156.jpg
68KB, 800x600px
>be not underage
>really want to join cool sounding campaigns online since i only play one campaign irl
>never allowed to join since i am NOT underage

;-;
>>
I used to really like the 40k setting so when only war came out I kept making characters and regiments and giving them backstories. This never lead to a game but I did have a chance to play Deathwatch for half a session, I made an Imperial Fist Devastator Marine with a heavy bolter. Now every player said they knew the 40k setting and was interested, the session went as such.

>Down at the FLGS
>Party spends its sweet time making characters
>Few players can't understand percentile roll under for the life of them
>I help explain what space marines are and describe the Imperium of Man
>One guy says the IoM sounds like a horrible place and that it needs some democracy
>Session begins with DM describing a hive city undersiege from tyranids and how we have to save the planetary governer
>Party immediately starts actingly like D&D adventurers trying to loot stuff
>GM reminds players that they only have so long before the planet gets nuked
>As we move through the hive city we hear a rumbling then see a horde of gaunts bust through an outpost of imperial guard (PDF really)
>The other players all try to immediately hide in fear
>GM explains that as space marines we can handle this
>I open fire on the gaunts and take out a fair chunk of them
>Everything falls apart after my first round in combat
>Player asks what a tyranid is
>Players don't seem to comprehend the scale of combat
>One player asks why we aren't playing pathfinder
>GM quietly shuts the Deathwatch book, packs up his stuff, and has a good long sit
>A look of desolation upon his face
>About an half an hour later we're playing pathfinder
>Another round of murdering goblins in a forest for some reason
>>
File: 1480893949264.png (192KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
1480893949264.png
192KB, 348x348px
>>50659194
I can one up you there.
>Never played RPGs before but desperately want to since I first started browsing /tg/.
>Figure 'fuck it I'll GM.' in spite of no RPG experience at all.
>Buy a few different systems and books and select some friends to play with, all who have had minimal exposure to RPGs in the past. All agree to play a sci-fi one I bought which we all seemed to like the look of in spite of it being crunchier than a bowl of granite flavoured oatmeal. The. Players All. Read. The. Fucking. Books.
>I am humbled by my committed group. Am I the /tg/ outlier?
>People make engaging characters plus an edgelord character, played for laughs which everyone loves
>I use a beginner's module and begin writing bits to tie all the characters into it. I also begin writing story arcs for the players which can be started early and create more hooks down the track.
>Day of the first session, I freeze up but slowly start to get the hang of things. Module is meant to be able to be knocked out in a session or two but we barely get a third of the way in. At least we got combat in and the party actually beat it by using tactics and thinking outside the box not just 'Roll to shoot. Roll to shoot.'
>Don't have to write too much prep for the next game.
>One player can't make it. Continue on anyway by having character being preoccupied with other shit while party pushes on. I actually manage to improve a bit and not lock up quite so bad, plus throw in random improvised bits here and there.
>>
File: 1481547133991.png (1MB, 775x859px) Image search: [Google]
1481547133991.png
1MB, 775x859px
>>50670474
Cont.
>Third session same player is missing. Rest of the party finishes the module and heads back to turn in the case.
>Same player decided they can't commit due to real life shit and leaves. Party is sad.
>I realise I have fuck all planned for after this mission handed in as I had wanted to follow on with his character arc. Hamfistedly just stumble into another prewritten module.
>Replacement player about to join who has played a lot before. Going to see me and my campaign for the sham it is. Depression builds.

I'm not creative enough for this shit and it bums me out. My group deserves better.
>>
>>50647651
>pirate
I'm interested GManon
>>
>>50622308
The only one crushing my heart is myself and my inability to get my shit together and GM something, anything.
>>
>>50670492
Don't fret anon! You've already made it much farther than a lot of people: took the initiative and started a group, successfully ran a first adventure, and it sounds like your players are enjoying it. For a first time GM I think you're doing great. Don't sweat the small stuff, listen to any criticisms your players might have, don't over prepare, and have fun!
>>
>>50627070
>But I do wish I could save the people in these threads, plenty of you seem great
That's how I feel every time I see threads like this or >>50660472 that one.
But I'm too lazy to start doing anything, so I just sadden myself.
>>
>>50657065
>GM just keeps saying yes to people joining
Ahh I know that plague.
Especially bad was when a gang of assholes had previously nearly killed another game the GM was a player in, and he still let them into his, and they proceeded to do /exactly the same shit/ to it.
>>
>>50646095

On the [Spoiler]forum[/Spoiler] I frequent, im always DM because everyone else is too flaky to actually keep it going
>>
>>50622308
>Degenesis
>playing in awesome campaign the GM runs in a "season" format where each season has a bit of a different spin
>great group
>general objective is to expand the tiny waypoint of Junction into a city
>playing the setting hard
>using economic and political knowledge to great effect
>hammering out alliances, managing integration of cultures, operating in diplomatic missions
>playing our Cults and Clans to promote our common interest, bending rules, try to make this work
>working to promote trade, institutionalise a big regular auction event to attract business from the entire region
>establishing a train connection
>negotiate establishment of a caravansery to allow Jehammedan pilgrims to stay where we can sell shit to them as they wait for the train north to Osman or resupply and march on
>connected in a living, breathing world with dozens of NPCs with valid interests and goals
>GM has some kind of breakdown
I pray to all that is holy he somehow gets out of that and doesn't drop the game completely. Losing this game would be a heavy blow. Not to mention him being a swell guy from all that I have seen of him.
>>
>>50658206
Well for one the GM made a full new world with hundreds of pages of backstory bullshit with their own religions and democracies and republics and whatever, and whenever the players RP they put on these dumb fucking accents to try to sound just like their characters are meant to. All pisses me off so much.
>>
File: Poo Brain.png (81KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Poo Brain.png
81KB, 500x281px
>>50622396
>Get hit 6 times
>Skip my turn
>Get hit another 6 times and die
the fuck
>>
File: 079.png (2MB, 1240x1223px) Image search: [Google]
079.png
2MB, 1240x1223px
>>50676216
That sounds like my dream game.
I hope the GM gets better soon, for the sake of his mental health and your campaign.
>>
>>50622308

>Anime pic in OP

I'm pretty sure you were the faggot.
>>
>>50633051

You sound like a cunt who deserves it.
>>
>>50627070
>These threads make me appreciate my players
I feel the same way. My players aren't even that good, but compared to some of the shit I see on here, they seem worth tolerating.
>>
>>50676553
Yeah. It's really awesome. I have rarely been this invested in a game.
But it sucks to see someone suffer and being completely incapable of doing a thing about it.
>>
File: GM notes.jpg (85KB, 862x479px) Image search: [Google]
GM notes.jpg
85KB, 862x479px
>>50670492
I wouldn't worry about it. Lacking in creativity is far from the worst trait you could have as a game master. Especially since you recognize it as a weakness, something 90% of all GMs are incapable of. Creativity is mostly about reaction, anyway. If you lack ideas, just run pregens and react to the creativity of your players. I couldn't tell you how many of my adventure designs boil down to, "recreate the first five minutes of some movie, see what they do, react accordingly".
>>
>>50676698
Just offer to talk if he needs it. You'd be surprised how much that can help.
>>
>Spend 9 hours making characters and setting up the game.

>Choose not to play.
>>
>>50676782
Eh, someone closer to him is on the case.
And I went out of my way to play in a little oneshot with him.
I would be a real dickbag to suddenly start acting like a close friend when we hardly talked in private before.
>>
>>50622308
>want to see my character's development, working for storyline, trying to make believable personality
>enjoying it
>3 of 4 characters in party died due to player stupid actions, my guy severely injured, but alive
>they make new characters
>anon, your character have too much xp for new party, make a new one

It's stupid reason to be sad, but I am.
>>
>>50677359
No, just offer. You don't have to act like you're closer then you are, just extend the hand in friendship. Its your call, I'm just saying what I've seen help before.
>>
>>50677641
I have done something to that effect, of course.
>>
>>50677662
Then that's all you can do. Hat's off.

I figured you might have, but, well, uh. /tg/. Autist central.
>>
>>50677596
That's bullshit anon. You're being punished for your other party members being retards.
>>
File: eh (1).png (42KB, 209x215px) Image search: [Google]
eh (1).png
42KB, 209x215px
>>50677596
why can't they just start at your level instead?
>>
>>50677860
I get the sentiment.
Some of these autists here are my friends, even.
Cheers from the Osnabrück Christmas market!
>>
File: 1378223228460.jpg (71KB, 500x884px) Image search: [Google]
1378223228460.jpg
71KB, 500x884px
>>50622308
D&D group at my college, the results of playing with them for a month
>Entire group is full of feminists or spergs
>I expected the weebs and furries but the feminist doesn't even pay attention.
>plays The Sims on computer during entire session, or listens to music and can't hear anyone, or watches a movie.
>DM always shows up unprepared
>Rest of group yells at each other while DM is trying to explain his quarter-assed session.
>only ever creates linear dungeons
>group is always hired for free to clear out the dungeon
>The BBEG is a lvl 9 wizard trany skilled to drop one fireball and run away.
>group is entirely lvl 3s
>The fireball kills three players.
>group tries to catch/talk to BBEG.
>No conversation, no story, no backround, no choice but to be a murderhobo.
>BBEG gets away
>DM uses NPC to disparage the group for being murderhobos
>Combat part of sessions over
>Go to city
>No main quest line
>No incentive to do anything
>Can do anything you want
>Try to become a mayor of town
>DM: 'Can't do that'
>Try to make a hooker the mayor of town
>DM: 'Can't do that'
>Me: 'What can we do?'
>DM: 'Redecorate your house'
>...
>Feminist takes off her headphones with My Chemical Romance blaring out
>Wants everyone to help her create a video for a class project about the misogyny.
>Group stops play for 45minutes.
>I've had enough, not going back.
>>
>>50676216
I've been interested in playing Degenesis. What are its advantages over other systems and disadvantages to other systems?
>>
>>50679086
Hell, I'm one myself. That's why I understand the import of stating what seems obvious to others.

Cheers, mate, from 'merrica.
>>
>>50657072
Yeah, the Jade Regent AP is full of moments like that.
>>
>>50676496
DM wanted him dead, so player didn't want his time wasted further.
>>
>>50679174
Advantages are quite simple rules and a very engaging setting with a unique theme.
Disadvantages are the whole thing being very limited and unable to play anything too reliant on combat because the combat system is basic as fuck.
So no grindy dungeons, mostly exploration and roleplay.
Expect to do more talking in a good game because combat-specced characters will make short work of brigands and the likes while non-combat-monsters will die quickly when facing a gun.
Combat is easily deadly and without help you won't get past a few hits.
Ideally you will mostly have no more than one combat encounter per session.
And you really need social characters to do the talking. Just basic negotiations will require you to skill for them.
Also the GM needs to qualify success and failure a lot since you can very quickly end up being all but incapable to beat odds with the way the system operates.
>>
>>50634929
Well, make them post!
>>
>>50627413
>I remember a time when I could hang out with friends for a few hours every couple of days and make stories we retell to this day.

>But that was years ago wasn't it.

This. Them feels.
>>
>Run games
>After the session I realize how shitty I am at GMing
>Players lie to me and say they really enjoyed the game
This always happens and it's terrible
>>
>>50679803
Okay, thanks!
>>
>>50682198
You're absolutely sure? Sounds more like you're simply criticizing yourself too much. Besides, I'm not a particularly good GM and my players always enjoyed our games because we all go to hang out together.

Latest one?
>in college
>got enough free time I could work
>might not be able to play RPG with my buddies anymore because I might not get sundays off

Others
>doing fallout PnP
>Pretty rough but it's coming together
>one buddy lives for combat exclusively
>another is crazy and RP's it pretty well without devolving into "LOLSORANDUMB!!11!! XDDDDD"
>last regular player is the talker
>want another person to join regularly and share talking duty
>had another player, but he wasn't always available
>Combat bro recommends a guy
>we invite him over to watch, see if he's interested
>ends up "420BLAZEIT!!!!!" so hard he passes out before we start
>Combat bro apologizes profusely
>420BLAZEIT never shows his face again
Honestly I was pretty pissed. I didn't care if people had a beer or smoked a bowl while we were playing. As long as your focus was on the game I didn't care. Then we invite someone who said they were interested, only to find they were so interested they pass the fuck out before we even get started? Fuck, this still makes me mad and it was months ago.

>doing fallout PnP
>trying to write a campaign
>I don't think I'm a good writer so trying to get players involved so it's something that will hold interest
>in the meantime we mostly sandbox in order to playtest the rules
>rules coming along okay
>campaign isn't
>no one wants to get involved in coming up with ideas or anything
>pretty annoyed, but I'll worry more when the rules are working right
>shit happens, one persons vehicle breaks down and they won't be able to make it anymore
>another didn't have a car and relied on the bro who's car died for rides
>now me and the buddy I was living with are the only ones who could play
>neither of us want to run it with just the two of us
Life is suffering.
>>
>>50675980
highlight and press CTRL+S
>>
>>50643679
After a Pathfinder campaign that turned to shit, I will never play with a tranny in my group ever again.

I didn't go into this year hating transexuals, but goddamn Pathfinder players are worse than AIDS.
>>
File: 1407032162787.jpg (554KB, 800x2144px) Image search: [Google]
1407032162787.jpg
554KB, 800x2144px
>>50673289
>>50676763
Cheers anons.
They do say they enjoy it and I keep asking for feedback (offering XP for any advice good or bad). They just say to just keep doing what I'm doing but it just feels off to me.
I'll just keep pushing through and watch some really offbeat sci-fi to try and get some more ideas.
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.