[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to get characters really invested in an RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Is there any way to get characters really invested in an RPG campaign to the point that you can present "tough choices" of the kind that happen in real life, where they have to decide what they value more and it's actually heart-wrenching? Not to make my players sad out of malice, but to make them feel like they're really in the fictional world and sometimes it's difficult for reasons other than the difficulty of killing an ogre or something.

I want to run a campaign that feels as intense as a really good show or book, where triumph can mean more than success in some main plot-goal, and defeat can mean something other than someone being injured or dying.

How do you make players attached enough to an NPC that they're unlikely to betray him or her, even if it would be advantageous? And that if they do betray that NPC, they feel bad about it when he or she is devastated. Maybe they even try to regain that NPC's trust over time.

How do you make players care about their PCs' families, not so you can kidnap them, but so you can make them decide whether to care for their sickly uncle's kid or leave the kid with his sketchy aunt while they look for a cure for the old man's illness?

I want my players to really, REALLY want to succeed, not just because they're playing a game where they want to win, and not even just because happy endings to stories are nice, but because they care about the outcomes the way they would if they were watching some hit drama or reading a favorite book series.

I realize there are a lot of skills involved here. And I realize that the answer is "good GMing" and so on. But how do I go from good GM to great GM? How do I get my players to want to leap out of their seats with excitement about what's happening, to feel triumph and sorrow, and sometimes both at once, rather than just, "cool, we did it!" or "damn, we blew it."
>>
>>50620524
Find better players.
>>
>>50620524
>>50620718
Sadly this guy is partly correct. There's only so much you can do as a GM to make your players care about their characters. Pretty much, caring about their characters is the only job of the player.
>>
>>50620524
Stop being such a boring dm?
>>
>>50621247
This

I've run a superhero campaign twice. Lots of NPCs who are meaningfully affected by PC actions and are part of the PC's lives.

The first time I ran it, the two players loved punching villains and viewed NPC interaction as a waste of time and once literally told me 'We wait around until you tell us what to punch'

The second time I ran it, some random roll20 players went all out with backstory and interacting with NPCs and caring about their actions, and the campaign was great and involved and all that

You can tease shy players out of their shells, but some people just aren't interested in roleplay
>>
>>50623420
>how to I be a better GM
>be a better GM
Thanks, anon. You made it all clear.
>>50623560
Yeah, my players are relatively engaged. They don't just wait around for shit to punch. I just want to pull them in that little bit further, so they're thinking as much in-character as possible.
>>
>>50623972
Give them a reason to care about the world. That can beby giving them characters to care about, or, more rarely but more effectively, by immersing them in the world to such an extent that they begin to care about it in its own right. Have you ever talked to someone like me who won't shut the fuck up about Morrowind? That's why. The characters in Morrowind are hardly sympathetic. The most compelling ones are pretty awful people. But the world is so alive and detailed that it draws you in.

I guess my practical advice is to give details, even when they don't contribute to a specific narrative. You want to foster the idea that your players and you are one small story out of millions. Have a shopkeeper tell a story about an urn being the only thing to survive the sinking of the local ferry back in 87 when the river crested its banks and flooded marshton. The real world is gorgeous in its interwoven complexity. The mark of a true storyteller is to emulate that without getting lost in it.

You'll fail to balance it, of course, but your failures will grow less severe over time.
>>
>>50620524
>Animal companion can't have a mount
What if its a monkey? I want a pet baboon riding a dog.
>>
>>50620524
>How do I non-shit players
By getting better players
>>
>>50623972
>>50625068
This guy is also partly correct. I find my players will care about a character more if they feel at some point that they are character's in an NPC's quest. It doesn't have to be long term of course (and in fact I would advise it to be a relatively short period of time) but overall, if you treat your NPCs as just tools for the players to achieve their own goals, then they will treat them as such. If you give your NPCs their own goals, dreams and storylines, good players will naturally feel engaged with them as actual people.
>>
>>50620524
It exists, but unless you're extremely good at creating scenarios that really gets to your players, then you're just gonna have to pray that you get really good players.
>>
File: God hates fun.png (110KB, 400x419px) Image search: [Google]
God hates fun.png
110KB, 400x419px
>>50625258
>not having a chihuahua riding a mandrill
Pic related, it's you
>>
>>50625258
>>50627636
Strap a narwhal to a work horse instead.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.