[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DM Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: bad-dm.jpg (38KB, 643x400px) Image search: [Google]
bad-dm.jpg
38KB, 643x400px
Alright /tg/, I need suggestions with how to deal with a DM on another players behalf. Large green text story below:
>Join D&D 5th edition group and have semi long 2 year plus campaign.
>Player A plays a Ranger and is generally an all around bro. Goes out of his way to help in combat and is the de-facto party healer.
>DM throws a burning net bridge ambush at us and the main damage dealer of the party (Player B) loses his sword to the rapids below.
>Player A goes out of his way taking multiple attacks of opportunity/damage and gives his +1 sword to Player B. Player A drops below 0 hp and fails all his death saves.
>Player A says GG and that he will have a new character drawn up next week. Brings a Bard.
>DM flat out says he can't play a caster and makes Player A erase the bard and draw up a fighter. (Player A had to use worse stat roles since he had to re-roll those as well. Highest number is a 12)
>DM throws Player A's background ideas out the window and makes the character a female human prostitute who had been captured by trolls.
>Player A is obviously disgruntled but plays on.
>Last session ends on really awkward tension note.

I found out later that the DM had a grudge against player A for playing a Druid in his 3.5 game about 10 years ago. Player A used the meta-magic natural spell feat to cause havoc in on of his early boss battles and the DM never forgave Player A over it.

What grinds my gears is that the DM has let multiple people come in and play casters over the last 2 years. The players at the table had no warning certain things/classes were off the table. It seems really shitty to outright ban classes to specific people.

Ideas for dealing with this DM?
>>
have a conversation about your feelings with him and the other players. not sure why you asked us
>>
>>50615844
My advice is to find another game.

If I had a character drawn up and was flat out told to re-roll as a fighter, I'd seriously consider walking right then and there.
>>
>DM throws Player A's background ideas out the window and makes the character a female human prostitute

This is one giant red flag.

Sounds like the guy has all the signs of being not only a terrible DM but a really shitty person as well.
>>
>>50615844
A few things.

First, why are *you* involved? Just expressing your distaste for the DM's behavior? Is Player A aware of your actions and does he even want you to be involved? Why isn't he asking us for advice/help on how to deal with the DM? Just some food for thought.

Second, the DM is a jackass. I'd advise you and player A (who does sound like a bro from this story) eject and start up a new gaming group with a DM who doesn't hold decade long grudges. The reality here is that you won't get a good ending. If this DM is so petty as to hold 10 year grudges for one early fuck up, you stand precisely zero chance to get things to improve. Vote with your feet and take Player A with you. Get a better DM, or even better, BE the better DM and game on without the passive aggressive grudge holding fuckstick.
>>
File: 1414323449449.png (787KB, 1322x2528px) Image search: [Google]
1414323449449.png
787KB, 1322x2528px
>>50615844
>makes the character a female human... who had been captured by trolls.
That always works out well.
>>
>>50615844
>>DM flat out says he can't play a caster and makes Player A erase the bard and draw up a fighter.
This is bullshit but more or less reasonable
>>(Player A had to use worse stat roles since he had to re-roll those as well. Highest number is a 12)
This is unnecessarily petty
>>DM throws Player A's background ideas out the window and makes the character a female human prostitute who had been captured by trolls.
OK!!RT!???!?!?!?! Red flag
>>Player A is obviously disgruntled but plays on.
A good sport for the past few sessions wants to see where this is going
>>Last session ends on really awkward tension note.

Confront him on the RedFlag or get the fuck out. My group also does call back to the shit We've done all the time. but we're fucking grown ups about it
>>
Ask the DM his reasons for female weakling prostitute PC. If they aren't satisfactory then ask to play the other char. If no then leave the game
>>
Offer to take over as DM.
>>
It is always smart to remind the DM that everyone is playing the game to have fun and enjoy the story he is making for everyone.

let him know what the player isnt having fun or that you have noticed the tension, and that when other players arent having fun its hard for everyone else to enjoy the game as well.
>>
File: The DM is mad at you.jpg (119KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
The DM is mad at you.jpg
119KB, 720x960px
>>50615844
>DM throws Player A's background ideas out the window and makes the character
>makes the character

If a DM does this, leave the game. You could argue with him, and you might win, but it doesn't matter. There are deal breakers in any social relationship, and in the player/DM relationship, this is one of them. I guarantee you, the guy will only do something worse down the line. And, of course, you prove this immediately in your own post.

>makes the character a female human prostitute who had been captured by trolls
>DM had a grudge against player A for playing a Druid in his 3.5 game about 10 years ago

Yeah, leave. I promise you, from my own MANY past experiences, no amount of talking things through will make this guy stop being a shit GM. Best case scenario is he says he'll do better and doesn't. More likely, he'll now hold a grudge against you and anyone else who spoke up about his bullshit behavior, and only become worse as he begins punishing more people.
>>
File: Horace_Schemer.jpg (12KB, 180x217px) Image search: [Google]
Horace_Schemer.jpg
12KB, 180x217px
>>50615844
>DM throws Player A's background ideas out the window and makes the character a female human prostitute who had been captured by trolls.
I know there are some autistic people out there who play these games, but I have a hard time believing this actually happened.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.