[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low sexually dimorphic "humans"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1455194177351.png (443KB, 700x831px) Image search: [Google]
1455194177351.png
443KB, 700x831px
I'd like to have a species that looks human but has an equal lower and upper strength limit. A race where the biggest man is as big as the biggest woman and the weakest guy is as weak and skinny as the weakest girl and look like normal humans.

But people like to argue how it's unrealistic to have no sexual dimorphism because it exists for good reason, so I'd like to hear what it would take to create a satisfying way to explain this race existing.

The humans are hard to kill, even when they're defeated they can be revived almost every time so casualties aren't a major concern. Arrows to the heart and hammers to the skull just don't stop them, not from a single hit anyway. Essentially it's HP.

A person with a warrior spirit with military training and the will & desire to become stronger is invariably a better fighter than a conscript. Easily worth a dozen equally trained soldiers, like comparing a PC to an NPC town guard. So filling out your army with conscript males will have them fighting against vastly superior enemies.

Pregnancy isn't much of a burden. It's main impediment is the weight of the baby, which is negligible to a warrior so many women go to battle while pregnant till the last month. The babies survive without harm even when mums like to do acrobatics or get bludgeoned in the stomach.

What else needs to be considered? Or do I need to start over?
>>
>>50608799
Milk production for infants? Differences in the killer instinct?
>>
>>50608840
Also, putting a little more thought into it, every single social and familial dynamic would have to be re-thought. They'd probably be pretty communal if roles are only based on individual aptitude.
>>
>>50608799

A binary god of equality can't stand nuances in his creations and is making them as equal as possible with each passing generation. Projections are in a thousand years they will have lost all gender dimorphism, but by then they are projected to have solved that issue by inventing cloning - this is also why they're so insanely durable, because each individual killed is an irreplaceable degradation in their genetic lineage which will weaken them for the time that they have to outgrow traditional reproduction.

Women are still second-line soldiers mainly protecting homes and local territory rather than sent abroad, not for lack of physical capabilities, but because risking a woman's children to be born is seen as a seldom worth it when a single mother cut down could result in the death of six people. In spite of their fighting powers, they're willing to employ "lesser" humans in their ranks as mercenary auxiliaries for missions of attrition, as though they enjoy combat and fighting, they do not like dying, and especially do not like dying in place of the untermensch if possible.

Something much like the Eldar.
>>
>>50608840
The ladies still produce milk but it's not treated as a necessity. Even so, they can get someone else to do it while mummy and daddy are gone.

The killer instinct is equal between genders.

>>50608884
I hope people don't think much of the equal roles and occasional flipped scenarios, as there are definitely weak boys who can be saved by strong women.
>>
>>50608988
You would hope, but with a theoretically random dispersion of people who are fighters to people who aren't, you could end up with babies being raised by a bunch of dudes incapable of nursing it.

Also, as was mentioned, in a society women are more valuable because one man is capable of producing multiple offspring by multiple women at the same time, but the reverse isn't true. So in a full scale long term total war, you'd want more women in the back like in case your numbers are seriously depleted. Because a dead woman can't have kids.
>>
File: 7ef.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
7ef.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
>>50608799
A really easy way to do this is just to make there be only one sex.

You can do this through some form of hermaphroditic tendency, parthenogenesis, completely new imaginary mechanic.
>>
File: 1402212692922.jpg (507KB, 659x950px) Image search: [Google]
1402212692922.jpg
507KB, 659x950px
>>50608914
Yeah, sending pregnant women into battle still seems odd, but being out of combat for 9 months or many more for many children seems to mess with the point.

I figured at least some places (maybe all places) keeps their pregnant warrior women as town guards who train and work out when not patrolling. They're not as experienced as the warrior men who go to war but they're buffer and better fed. The very idea of NOT using these very capable warriors when the town is under attack is almost inconceivable.
>>
File: 1479127522547.jpg (272KB, 800x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1479127522547.jpg
272KB, 800x1129px
>>50609065
Well, I still want the normal civilians to appear like normal humans, tits and all.

Tits are really the main problem because animals that use parthenogenesis don't do breast feeding, right? It's only mammals that breast feed. Seems weird to combine them.

Plenty of people wouldn't care about why a non-breast feeding race has tits but I'd like to avoid it.
>>
>>50609032
I guess that's true. It would make more sense to keep women off the front line unless they're a line breaking juggernaut who can decide battles or something. Instead keeping the majority of them in roles that generally have fewer casualties.
>>
>>50608799
>Pregnancy isn't much of a burden.
The problem with this is that it is a huge burden, but one that's fairly unique to humans, you could hand wave this in a whole lot of other species, but if you want them to be human or have the same kind of birthing patterns it's just kind of weird.

>>50609166
Well as far as I know parthenogenesis is an evolved trait, although most species that use it are non mammalian there's nothing to my knowledge about mammalian biology that precludes it's possibility. Not to mention it's a fantasy setting, so you could always just say "yeah this race has breast milk even though they lay eggs like the platypus so just go with it" or make up any excuse you want since you don't have to adhere to real world biology.

As for the other possibilities and tits, if you really want that, you could always go with hermaphrodity that causes development of secondary sexual characteristics such as breasts in half the population, or those of the population who have given birth or been exposed to conditions that make them assume a female like gender. Again fantasy so you can always draw from other biological sources and then justify them being applied to humanoids with just a bit of logic.
>>
Who will take care of the baby once it's born and for the next 15 years?
>>
>>50609346
Women who aren't warriors and men who aren't warriors.
>>
>>50609260
Oh and just to clarify when I say "you don't need to adhere to real biology" I understand you still wish to have a degree of real world logic to the setting, what I am saying however is that real world biological trait aren't set in stone certain things evolved simply because that's the way things went. There's nothing preventing you from taking sensible logical traits from all over the tree of life and applying them to creatures in a fantasy setting. It doesn't detract from the logic as long as you do very basic legwork to implement it.
>>
>>50609260
>>50609388
Okay. How about water egg birthing or something?. Like, the tiny embryo egg thing just sits in the water and grows over nine months. Good water, from a life spring. Maybe regular water with nutrients poured in by particular people, since they're not going to leave them with the totally viable but more dangerous wild water nutrients.

Heck, if I want magic they can just make babies out of clay like the creation goddess did and they just pour their life energies into making the baby.

Either of these work?

>>50609346
Whoever is convenient to do so, like the other guy said. Not all warriors couple with another warrior.

The mum and/or dad can also retire and raise them themselves if they want to, being a warrior doesn't preclude them from wanting to raise a child and training them to be MIGHTY CHAMPIONS.
>>
>>50609480
Sure that's fine, but advanced life usually requires a whole lot of nutrients so it would probably have to be constantly taken care of. You could possibly explain it with something like somesort of symbiotic relationship. Like maybe their eggs attach onto some sort of large aquatic plant life and leach nutrients from it, in turn the people regard these plants as sacred and tend to them as well as protect them with their lives.

As for the magic that's pretty good to, clay or earth being the thing that people are made of is a common creation myth and it works pretty well.

Anyways, just spit balling here, anything you want to do in your setting is up to you, in my experience few players will actually deeply consider the nuances of the logic of breeding in a setting especially since it rarely comes up during gameplay. .
>>
>>50609609
Yeah, I doubt anyone I play with will ask but I'd still like to have explanations. Especially since folks on /tg/ like to argue about warrior women.

The aquatic plants sound good too, creates some nice imagery.
>>
>>50608799
>I'd like to have a species that looks human but has an equal lower and upper strength limit. A race where the biggest man is as big as the biggest woman and the weakest guy is as weak and skinny as the weakest girl and look like normal humans.
It's called D&D humanity, or really most any game humanity

>It's unrealistic
It's an abstraction like 90% of the rules because as much as you sperg out about it, NO ONE has time to "Accurately" shit like that much less play in a system that does

In game explanation?
You think in a world with dragons, gods, and dickass wizard magic human development is going to be 100% the same?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.