[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 396
Thread images: 36

File: fantasy-art-image.jpg (613KB, 800x1056px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy-art-image.jpg
613KB, 800x1056px
Now with fifty percent more bickering and name calling!

>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50597925

Have you ever been part of a successful evil campaign?
>>
Anyone know of a good homebrew or conversion for the Inquisitor class from Pathfinder? I'd love to play as one in 5e, I need to be able to fuck with peasants calling them sinners and then proceeding to whip the sin out of them.
>>
>>50608632
Is it the flavor or the mechanics that you want to replicate in 5e?
>>
Are there any 2-level dips that would go well with the new Arcane Archer Fighter? Can anyone with more experience than me give their overall opinion of that archetype? The concept looks pretty fun.
>>
>>50608682
UA Ranger
>>
>>50608666
Both would be nice, but if it isn't all that feasible to replicate mechanics then I can go with just flavor. Only thing I could think of was a Cleric, but they aren't enough combat and conviction. Paladin just seems to dumb and not nimble to be an Inquisitor.
>>
>>50608682
consensus seems that 2 arrows isn't enough, especially since they have a chance to miss unlike other core class features like smite
>>
If I give all martials a version of expertise in their class progression, will that alleviate their lack of out of combat usefulness any?
>>
>playing a game of 5e
>everyone plays a PHB class and a race from either PHB or Volo's
>one guy goes on reddit and finds a homebrew race and class that are blatantly unbalanced and OP as fuck so he can play a special snowflake mary sue character while we are all individually less than half as powerful as he is
>DM okays it
anybody else dealt with this silliness?
>>
>>50608694
*too dumb
fucking typos
>>
What are three solid cantrips for a book of shadows? Shillelagh need not apply.
>>
>>50608694
Yeah, the mechanics probably aren't going to happen considering the difference between PF's feature overload and 5e's minimalism.

Cleric would be my choice, but Favored Soul Sorcerer is also a solid pick.
>>
>>50608694
the flavour of the inquisitor seems to be most similar to the oath of vengeance paladin, or maybe even ranger
>>
>>50608704
Here's one of the things I give fighters. works out pretty well, mathematically

Warrior’s Reputation
At 3rd level, tales of your exploits begin to circulate in the world. Choose Intimidation or Persuasion. You gain proficiency with that skill if you don’t have it already. Furthermore, you gain advantage with checks of your chosen skill as long as your proficiency bonus is equal to or higher than your target’s. If you are targeting more than one creature with your skill, your proficiency bonus must be equal to or higher than the greatest proficiency bonus among your targets. At 10th level, you gain this ability with the skill you did not previously choose.
>>
>>50608608
>Have you ever been part of a successful evil campaign?

We would've been successful if the DM wasn't fond of turning every one-off into a TPK. We made it to the end and then he threw an Angel at us because apparently we were that evil? We weren't. In fact the entire game we were killing other evil people.
>>
>>50608727
Guidance
Mending
Thaumaturgy
Vicious Mockery
Shocking Grasp
>>
>>50608698
This. I don't know why they thought only 2 arrows would be sufficient.
>>
>>50608727
>Prestidigitation
>Thaumaturgy
>Druidcraft
Master ALL the basic magics!
>>
>>50608727
eldritch blast, prestidigitation, green flame blade.
>>
>>50608706

I play mostly in the adventurer's league, so the nonsense I have to deal with mercifully does not include that.
>>
>>50608608
>setting has guns
>want to play Dex based Eldritch Knight that uses a musket as their casting focus

Would you allow it?
>>
>>50608734
The thing about Cleric is that they aren't as charismatic or have the combat capabilities of an Inquisitor, Clerics to me seem like learned monks in some abbey since they are mostly wisdom based.
>>
Revised Ranger 3/Maybe one or two levels in Rogue for sneakin' Expertise & Cunning Action and the rest in EK Fighter y/n?
>>
>>50608706
Find you own class that outshines his, get dm approval to play it, ruin campaign so no one can stop you, flaunt superiority in DM's face.

alternatively
Speak to the player and DM, if it's broken and basically outshining everyone at their intended power then it's not fun for any of the other players.
>>
Since multiclass is apparently broken with revised ranger, is it a good idea to dip a level into rogue to get sneak attack with the natural explorer stuff?
>>
>>50608859
No, that's gay.
>>
File: Imrijka.jpg (202KB, 731x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Imrijka.jpg
202KB, 731x1000px
>>50608874
>>50608734
Here's an Inquisitor.
>>
>>50608694
Honestly the closest is probably a vengeance paladin using dex, might not be the most min/maxed but you'll still be useful.

If you want more skill monkey stuff dip into rogue or start rogue at level 1.
>>
>>50608859
sure
>>
>>50608874
Right, so I suggested Favored Soul Sorcerer because they're charisma-based, cast spells, can gain proficiency in a lot of the skills that Inquisitors should focus in, and as a Favored Soul you get the religious aspect.
>>
Would you let a Ranger with Find Familiar use his familiar as his animal companion?

It's not an Imp so you don't need to worry about it being invisible and spamming the Help action.
>>
>>50608859
i wouldn't unless it were specially enchanted/made to allow it to become a spellcasting focus
>>
>>50608632
Play a revised ranger, take spells from the Cleric spell list instead of the Ranger list.
>>
>>50608902
Fug

>>50608929
Cool

>>50608949
Fair, and makes sense too.

>>50608827
Had a character with 11 cantrips once. Was Bard 19/Sorc1, High Elf with Magic Initiate I think. Got to the point where my DM just said "Fuck it, if it's remotely magical and still within the realm of cantrips, you can do it."

Don't fuck with the cantrip master
>>
>>50608956
Different guy, but where do you find the revised ranger?
>>
>>50608984
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
>>
>>50608632
A simple way to homebrew it would be to combine the Paladin and Cleric spell lists, give cantrips at level 1 but spellcasting as Paladin. Then I would go with the UA ranger but replace the archetype with a cleric domain. Refluff the abilities as divinely granted rather than nature, and finally favoured enemy is now favoured alignment(choosing from only opposing alignments: neutral, evil, good, chaotic, and lawful for regular and greater. Ex: being LG your choices would be limited to Chaotic, Evil, and Neutral. The Favoured Enemy bonuses would apply against any creature that had whichever you chose as an alignment component.)
>>
>>50608890
i personally dont give a shit desu and i have fun regardless because i just enjoy sitting around eating junk food and joking around with friends
im just wondering in my head why this one dude has to go above and beyond for his power fantasy
>>
Anyone have the screenshot of the stupid fast cat person build?
>>
File: Unlimited Fast.png (162KB, 1280x718px) Image search: [Google]
Unlimited Fast.png
162KB, 1280x718px
>>50609031
>>
>>50608608

Im running a LE Tiefling FiendTomelock with the noble background that is the patron and leader of the party. It just so happens doing heroic acts and getting the peoples adulation has helped me acquire greater power than many others could even hope too. So sometimes some people may question my enlightened superior form of morality but nobody ever complains when my tactics win us battles and save their miserable lives
>>
>>50608877
What DM is going to let you dip into revised ranger like that?
>>
>>50609040
well that's a little bit fast
>>
>>50609064
Probably none, just doing what I always do and making characters because I'm forever DM. Might end up using it as a NPC.
>>
>>50608939
I would, yeah if we're talking about PHB ranger.
And if only for the reason that it would make the ranger less afraid to actually use their companion in battle.
>>
>>50609074
Oh, in that case, sure.
I'm right there with you friend. Forever dreaming up characters that I never get to play because my friends are shit DMs.
>>
>>50608608
Okay, so I wanted to get a general feel for opinions on something. How do you feel about IRL Deities existing in the setting you're playing in? I know Bahamut and Tiamat were IRL figures of myth, but their D&D incarnations are essentially independant from those original ones. I'm talking like, there's straight up some recognizable gods in the setting, like Anubis or Thor, and the only difference between our world and the campaign one is that we stopped worshiping them and they didn't. Is this awesome (An army screaming "Sons of Odin fight to die and live again!"), or does it hamper immersion to have those deities present? Is it okay to have IRL deities as long as they're obscure or re-imagined enough?
>>
>>50608956
That might just work.
>>
>>50609145
Here's my 2 cents:

Unless you specifically recognize those gods as existing and actively worship them, there is functionally no difference between them and the constructed deities of a fictional setting.
>>
>>50609145
It's fine. Just might want to shy away from including irl deities that your players might believe in irl. Only because as a DM you don't want to make your players feel overly uncomfortable.

If you're sticking to older pantheons, you're probably good to go though.
>>
>>50609145

Dude that was default mode as far back as the original days of the game. Made up Pantheons are a fairly new idea and are usually shit compared to ones with established mythology anyways ie the word salad gods of PF or the shitty reskinned gods of FR
>>
How can a warlock with pact of tome cast shillelagh? One hand needs to be holding the book of shadows, one needs to be holding the quarterstaff, then you'd need two more hands free for the material components and the somatic components.
>>
I'm trying to make up characters for each class because reasons.

Thus far I have a
>Barbarian
>Fighter
>Rogue
>Warlock
>Wizard
done with full backstories

decent idea what I want to do but no backstory aside from general ideas
>Druid
>Cleric
>Monk

However I'm stumped for original (Or unoriginal and at least good) ideas for
>Paladin
>Ranger (Mainly because the fighter I made might as well be a ranger with backstory and skills so making another "lives off the land rough-and-tumble dude seems too copycat)
>Sorcerer

So what're some good Paladin/Ranger/Sorcerer character backgrounds you can think of for me to base characters off?
>>
>>50609145
I'd dig it, personally. I'd prefer a real life pantheon to some homebrew of 20+ entirely new gods.
>>
>>50609205

It doesnt say anything anywhere about your Book needing to be held and waved around to cast spells same for material components
>>
>>50609205
nigga u dum
>>
>>50609218
Bounty hunter ranger (hunter) or paladin (vengeance).
>>
>>50609184
I'm not saying "Helios is my copilot" or something, (in fact if it matters at all I'm not really in any believing camp) and looking over my post I suppose the "only difference between our world and the campaign one" quote is poorly worded. I wouldn't put in anything I believed was sacred in my anyway, as I like even for good deities to not necessarily have the party's best interests in mind at all times.
>>
File: you what.jpg (56KB, 247x567px) Image search: [Google]
you what.jpg
56KB, 247x567px
>>50609201
>Made up Pantheons are a fairly new idea
>shitty reskinned gods of FR
Forgotten Realms predates D&D (and was built up in detail long before it had any official publications for it) and making gods up for a fantasy setting isn't anything new, by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>50609231
>Bounty Hunter Ranger
>Ranger who's from a city and goes out to find bandits and such
>Doesn't actually like the wilderness, just knows it like the back of their hand because they need to
Could make that work with some effort, not a bad idea
>Paladin
This and cleric are the ones that give me the most issue when it comes to making backstory, mainly because I'm not even the slightest bit religious nor have I ever been so roleplaying someone meant to be devout well is rather difficult to me, and I'm not nearly edgy/stupid enough to suggest an atheist character in a setting that clearly has gods who interact with the world on the regular. That and I don't much like the idea of my characters getting by on borrowed power from some deity, but that's more because of my own personal beliefs and shouldn't come into consideration for a fictional character.

Maybe a Paladin who entered an oath without really realizing it with some Fey or something?
>>
>>50609201
>>50609299
>implying making up pantheons wasn't one of the first things humans ever did
>>
>>50609318
I like the idea of playing an oath of the ancients firbolg that acts as a sort of shepherd-like wise-man of the woods.
It's not exactly unique, however.
>>
>>50609352
*fips tedora*
>>
File: remove.jpg (126KB, 1041x1066px) Image search: [Google]
remove.jpg
126KB, 1041x1066px
>>50609318
It's occurred to me that none of my characters are properly Hot Topic Coldsteel the Hedgeheg tier edgy.

What about a Paladin Oathbreaker/Vengeance Paladin who learned he was being led along by a demon/fiend posing as a god, or an evil god tricked him into an oath, and now is in full "REMOVE DEMONS DEMON GENOCIDE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE"/going all out to bring about the end of this god's religion mode?

I say Oathbreaker because Vengeance implies they're still following a god.

Also also, if an oathbreaker's broken his oath against an Evil god, does he still need to be Evil himself?
>>
>>50609299
>Forgotten Realms predates D&D
>Have Greyhawk gods

Dude forgotten Realms is the third campaign setting of D&D.
>>
File: Gunterlikeshakespeare.jpg (134KB, 856x1045px) Image search: [Google]
Gunterlikeshakespeare.jpg
134KB, 856x1045px
Post images of your Warlock pact maker.
>>
>>50609391
*bips fack*
>>
>>50609401
Vengeance implies nothing of the sort, just that they switched from another oath to vengeance. Paladins don't need deities now, and I'm not sure what the last time that was true even is.
>>
How does Warlock 3/Paladin 17 work out, taking spells that don't need CHAmod? Seems like it'd be a pretty strong combo. I was thinking Warlock 2 but Pact of the Blade seems like it could be fun thematically for an edgy paladin so Warlock 3.

>>50609428
Yeah I keep forgetting that. I guess the idea of a Paladin not needing a deity is kinda silly to me.
>>
>>50609484
BAD.
2 smites per short rest of 2d8
Being 3 of spell lvl behind a normal paladin.
Dumping charimas when is a heavy characteristic of both classes
>>
File: question mark.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
question mark.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
OK, I have to ask a question about the fundamental numbers of 5e...

is 16 good enough?
>>
>>50609299

>>This D&D setting is older than D&D
>>What do you mean im retarded?
>>
>>50609562
Yeah after looking at it longer I'm inclined to agree, since none of the Patrons really add anything that would be worth it in the end.
>>
>>50609299
FR most certainly doesn't not predate D&D.
>>
>>50609589
until level 10
>>
>>50609299
Ed Greenwood didn't even start writing for TSR/Dragon until like, 1979. Considering that D&D was borne out of Chainmail which Gygax made in 1971, you're full of shit.
>>
>>50609618
>>50609405
I mean, if you Greenwood's writings as a youth the origin of Forgotten Realms it most certainly does.

>He began writing stories about the Forgotten Realms as a child, starting in the mid 1960s

>Greenwood discovered the Dungeons & Dragons game in 1975 and soon became a regular player.[1] He used the Realms as a setting for his campaigns, which centered arounds the fictional locales of Waterdeep and Shadowdale, locations that would figure prominently in his later writing

>n 1986, the American game publishing company TSR began looking for a new campaign setting for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game,
>>
>>50609640
We have no ideas what the FR looked like prior to his work with TSR, though. You have to look at the FR as a published setting, the one that everyone has access to.
>>
I was thinking of running a Warforged in a group that's starting up soon. Any resources you guys recommend looking through for fluff since 5e doesn't really have anything for them as far as fluff goes, or any other race but still

Help a prospective tinman out?
>>
>>50609662
If you're not playing in Eberron, you should avoid Warforged. They're for that setting and only found in that setting.

If you're not in Eberron, talk to your DM before even planning anything with them.
>>
>>50609484

They have CHA synergy its extra slots for smiting a few spells you dont normally get and EB gives you a nice ranged option that scales with level.. The patrons add a little with Fiend being the best for free temp HP for a murder machine like a Paladin. The pact boons come online and are all moderately useful while your two invocations let you pick up some of the best stuff a Warlock can get like Agonizing blast or Book of Ancient Secrets
>>
How would I go about making an Urban druid? if a Druid gains power from the spirits of trees, rivers, and animals why can't someone gain power from the spirits of roads, houses, and tools? folklore is full of household spirits and shit like that.
>>
>>50609640

Ed go home. Lorraine is dead and just because they are pushing your setting a bit again doesnt mean you can smear shit all over the offices and claim your bigger than the game like you did at the TSR offices. Nobody likes your mary sue faggot characters especially your self-insert Gandalf knock-off and even if you had thought of some stuff in your shitty fanfics it doesnt mean it predates D&D
>>
>>50609719
I never even read those books, i just looked on wikipedia and found that people were being wrong.
>>
>>50609725
If you're seriously going to make the claim that whatever Greenwood's proto-FR setting that he made while he was a teenager looked like prior to it being polished up and worked on while he was at TSR actually had unique, thoughtful and nuanced deities, I'm going to laugh.
>>
>>50609712

No real reason you couldn't, there was even a whole prestige class based around it in 3.5. In 5E it's harder to do - mostly you should refluff your abilities and stick to urban creatures for wild shape, maybe take a feat like dungeoneer to reflect your heavily urban life.
>>
>>50609712
I think it's because typically civilization has often been antithetical to the classic idea of druid.

What you're proposing can work really well if you reflavor your Druid to be more like a shaman. Shamans from shadowrun are basically this.
>>
>>50609770
I think that's probably the best bet, will take some work for sure though. what might a good replacement for animal shape be? because it doesnt seem to fit well.
>>
>>50609680
I have, they're cool with it.
>>
>>50609823
Making your druid at cold war with traditional wilds druids because reasons could be fun
>>
I think I got an idea for my edgy paladin.
Lemme know what you think.

>Wears extremely worn down gear, clearly no care taken to maintain it
>carries no extra equipment like bedrolls or rations
>never removes their helmet
>has a cold, mettalic voice
>eventually character reveal- he's a Warforged made by a cult of some evil god, and due to unestablished plot has turned against his creators and sworn to destroy the "god" (could be a demon or dragon, ill probably leave that to the DM so they have a character hook) in charge of the cult
>if go vengeance it writes itself- cult was dicks, character vows to kill 'em
>If go Oathbreaker similar path- newly created Warforged were forced into Oath with this BBEG guy

The reason I'm still considering Oathbreaker is that this guys vengeance plot is entirely selfish, he's probably going to be LE, and follow typical amoral murderhobo rules- being at least somewhat reasonable to civilians and following the law but being a complete bastard to "enemies" so Chaotic Neutral could fit too.
>>
>>50609859
Absolutely, I can see plenty of room for conflict
>>
File: Creighton_Artwork_Dark.jpg (184KB, 1280x900px) Image search: [Google]
Creighton_Artwork_Dark.jpg
184KB, 1280x900px
>>50609955
Forgot to add id be basing him a bit off good ol' non-murderous Creighton from DS2.
>>
>>50608995
Wouldn't just swapping the Cleric's wisdom casting with charisma casting work?
>>
>>50609770
> post pokemon-world, a world where technology much more advance than our, the world where nature is still abundant
> people still think "living in harmony with nature" is a tree hugger hippy thing
>>
File: 1475166567347.jpg (154KB, 414x585px) Image search: [Google]
1475166567347.jpg
154KB, 414x585px
Creating a backstory for my paladin
> Once upon a time, there was a really cruel and unjust king.
> He taxed people harshly, did not care for the rule of the law and was an all around asshole.
> In response, a group of rebels formed, formerly farmers and artisans, they became outlaws - like Robin Hood's merry men they fought the royal soldiers, initially supported the common folk.
> However, the king was soon killed and replaced by another - this one far more pragmatic.
> He loosened up the opression and made the robber barons fall back in line. The rebels were offered amnesty - after all, there was no good reason to rebel anymore.
> But the rebels took a liking to the life of outlaws - so they did not stop fighting.
> One of the bandits was a young boy when they first became outlaws - and through his life, he never questioned their way of life.
> After all, they're fighting against the great injustice. Whatever happens to lapdogs of the tyrant - or ones who help and shelter those lapdogs, they deserve it, right?
> He never even thought of what he's doing as evil - until one day, his gang was going to burn down an old man's house because his son was a member of the city watch.
> That's where he drew the line - he tried to reason with his fellow outlaws, but they did not hear him.
> So he was forced to fight his comrades - and for once, he truly felt with his heart that he's doing what's right.
> It felt like justice itself is guiding his hand and striking those people down, and it felt like righteous fury burned in his soul.
> In that moment, he became a paladin.
> But not cleared of all sins. Still a bandit and an outlaw, he both feels obligated to bring down the merry men he was once part of, and to right his personal wrongs.

I think he'll be a dex paladin, still fighting and dressing like a common rogue. Also thinking about having an in-built antagonist - some kind of young avenger, whose father he killed once.
Roast me.
>>
>>50610039
Better than edgy robo-paladin I made in >>50609955.
>>
Anyone got zip for '2-minute tabletop' maps?
>>
>>50608682
After getting the class feature its best to switch to UA ranger.>>50608693
>>
>>50608706
Play a Scourge Aasimar Sun monk and Fuck him sideways.
>>
>>50608859
Use my homebrew rule:

A silvered weapon can be used as an arcane focus.
>>
>>50610299
that's a stupid rule
>>
>>50608775
>3rd level fighters are known around the world

So Cr 1/2 Thugs must be heroes of an entire solar system and CR 3 Veterans are mythical heroes who defend galaxies
>>
>>50610304
Why?
It has RP value and you don't have to write 5 paragraphs for rules.
>>
>>50610304

Your hat is stupid.
>>
>>50610415
racist
>>
>>50610404
3rd level? Yeah, well, you're the equivalent of a storied veteran. The kind of guy who gets an overblown article written about him on badass of the week or something.
>>
>>50610039
More creative than any paladin I've played with, that's for sure. I question why his comrades go full retard if they get nothing out of burning the old man's house. Maybe they could rob the house of a city watch member, and after your character gets the gold he walks back into the kitchen to see the other bandits killing the city guardsman and about to kill/molest his wife and kids?
>>
>>50610441
No, you aren't. A town or village might talk about you

For example, in LMoP you'll probably reach 3rd level after doing a job or two after the goblin cave in the little mining town.

Kill some goblins, run off some brigands and maybe kill an ogre. Nothing to circulate tales around the world.

Fight Tiamat in HotDQ/RoT? Tales around world. Kill some goblins? Not so much.

Check pp. 37 of DMG, levels 17-20 is Masters of the World not 3rd level
>>
>>50610441
Level 3 is still tier 1. You aren't even a full fledged adventurer yet.
>>
>>50610494
Masters of the World, sure. But, if you'll notice, the feature only works on people of your approximate strength or weaker. Basically, only people who would care about who you are or aren't.

>>50610501
But you're a hell of a lot more competent than a normal person of practically any stripe. Level 3 is still far beyond regular people. By a lot.
>>
>>50610510
>But you're a hell of a lot more competent than a normal person of practically any stripe. Level 3 is still far beyond regular people. By a lot.
So is pretty much every member of elite armed forces, people might hear about them in a general sense, but only those directly impacted generally know specific individuals.
>>
>>50610510
Which doesn't make sense.

For example, CR 3 veterans have a prof bonus of +2. Why would a Veteran, and especially a Veteran from a completely different city or nation, give a shit about a level 3?

In addition, as a side effect this ability also lets you know if a target is CR appropriate or stronger with a single skill check whereas a level 7 battlemaster needs 1 minute to learn ONE thing about a target

It's a bad ability. And it also shits all over the PDK archetype
>>
>>50610578
I'm going to make an assumption here and, stay with me now, that your D&D is based in a fantasy world where men of skill and merit are the talk of taverns and who have names and accolades assigned to them. I like to think that's a fairly generic thing for fantasy worlds instead of having armies with modern infrastructure. But to continue...

>>50610595
The fluff really doesn't matter as much as the crunch. You could say anything, like you're developing a particularly imposing presence or something. The purpose of the ability is twofold.

One, it's to allow fighters to emulate the concepts that inspire them. Men of action who inspire loyalty and fear from those around them.

Two, Charisma is a dump stat for fighters. It's a fucking fact. But this offsets that and makes the average fighter okay to decent in at least one skill that is not fucking athletics.

Lastly, I want to comment that the Battlemaster feature Know your Enemy sucks ass and that the PDK archetype is a waste of an archetype. You sacrifice so much to be sort of an okay face.
>>
>>50610209
pls

Can't justify spending $70 for semi-consistent battlemaps
>>
>>50610634
Tekton the Dragonslayer, Breaker of Necks, and Sunderer of Elements is known throughout the land, welcome in a kings hall, and talked of in every tavern anywhere near his location.
John the goblin hunter, ridder of rats, and killer of kobolds is known to be a helpful individual in the town he operates, and can get a free mug from the innkeep whose basement he cleared out.
>>
>>50610634
In my world, all soldiers employed by regular governments are at least level 10. Fuck how would you survive otherwise?
>>
>>50610657
Doesn't matter as much as the crunch and the purpose of the feature. I put something down that I thought was more flavorful than "you're scarier/more attractive now". I see I was wrong to assume that.
>>
>>50610667
The crunch is bad too, for the reasons I stated.

If a fighter wants to be more diplomatic he can become a pdk or just take charisma skills.
>>
>>50610683
PDK is bad, and for a fighter to invest in charisma skills will either detract from the ability scores he needs to be good or he will have to settle for just being plain bad at those skills. Charisma is a dump stat for Fighters (for many classes, really), and Fighters aren't swimming in skills to the point where they can toss a bunch of them down the hole for something they're not geared to be good at.
>>
>>50610667
I don't mind proficiency, hell i don't even mind circumstantial expertise or advantage, but it really should either be a later level feature, or one that improves later on.
I also dislike the gameyness of comparing it directly to an NPCs stats, but that's a personal dislike, not mechanical.

If i wanted to do something similar,
>[Social Flavored Name]
>At third level you may gain proficiency with Intimidation, Persuasion, Deception

Give know your enemy to all flavors of fighter, and follow up with

>When you use this feature to gain insight on someone, you can double your proficiency bonus in any charisma check to influence them.
>>
>>50610699
I simply disagree
>>
>>50610706
Well, you can just suck a dick then.

>>50610701
Fighters need skill improvements earlier, not later, so they can be contributing through the characters entire career. Especially knowing that most games don't continue on to the later levels, what you get early game matters more than what you're picking up post level 10.
>>
>>50610699
Fighters aren't swimming in proficiency, but they ARE swimming in ASIs, and with background prof.s they can easily be as social as any non-expertise based character.

More so in a game without feats, something i don't encourage, but definitely has an impact on dump stats and how characters flesh out.
>>
>>50610719
>Fighters need skill improvements earlier
Why? What can't they do that you think they need to? Particularly that a free social proficiency wouldn't help with, and turns into potential expertise later.
>>
>>50610723
Fighters have more ASIs, but they also have more potential feats that are actually good for improving their combat efficiency. Not to mention that because a Fighter is often deliberately trying to be targeted more often, he'll want to have higher Ability Scores in general to improve his saving throw chances. Strength, Constitution, Wisdom, Dexterity are all things a fighter should seriously consider making as high as possible, as well as purchases of Resilient. This isn't powergamey, these are suggestions both the PHB and the devs make about how to build Fighters. They're actually right for a change.
>>
>>50610742
It IS powergamey to want a low charisma, but good charisma based checks. I'm all for giving classes reasons to want other stats, but this doesn't fix that, it does little more than artificially boost the only reason to have charisma.
>>
>>50610738
Because we can't assume every Fighter is going to get the full level 20 experience. Hell, we know most Fighters don't. Things that define your class and contribute strongly to the group should come early. Potential improvements can come later.
>>
>>50610763
Why would you ever assume a level 20 experience? My suggestion, to something i don't find needs fixing mind you, helps shore up a single weak point, and at level 7 would let you be AS GOOD as rogues or bards as long as you spent a minute figuring them out, in potentially 3 skills if you chose those proficiencies elsewhere.
>>
>>50610760
It's not powergamey to want to be able to live up to the inspiration for the class. And hell, even with this, the average fighter will only be OK at those skills given that he's got to prioritize either his Strength or Dexterity and his Constitution. This is tertiary score territory here.
>>
>>50610787
The inspiration for fighters are politicians to you?

I literally don't know what your trying to get at.
>>
>>50610775
Because simple skill proficiency is not really worth much at all. It's like, 3/5ths of a single +1 to an Ability Score in the game's worth. You can do a set up for a later check, but you can't always give yourself a set up, which reduces its usefulness overall.

>>50610801
A great deal of warrior characters in myth, history, and fiction are figures who others rally to or speak about in hushed, fearful tones. Usually both. Fighters draw from that well of inspiration, but the reality of the game means that you have to go out of your way to have that, and even then you might not be as skilled as the Sorcerer or Warlock.
>>
>>50608706
>Have one player who always uses homebrew shit without asking
>Ask him to send me that shit so I can see if it's OP or not
>He just reads it all out to me, skipping over what level they get the feature, and misinterpreting half of how it works
>During play he suddenly has things he never mentioned

Luckily he also plays like a retard, so his characters are really easy to kill if need be.
>>
>>50610827
Fighters often make great leaders, but its because of their experiences, NOT generally due to their ability to convince someone, lie, or intimidate. A level 3 fighter doesn't reflect that aspect of things yet, he isn't a big name, he's a sword guy. Just like the wizard does parlor tricks, and the rogue steals some baubles.

As for proficiency, you are really undervaluing what it does, even at level 3 its as good as having a 4 higher charisma, and that just goes up.

Either way, you do you yo, you clearly don't actually want input on your idea.
>>
>>50608608
At work and can't access my pdf of the DMG... can anyone tell me how much a fisherboat would be worth?
>>
>>50608775

This almost sounds fine until you lump in the proficiency bonus shit for no reason. It's just awkward.

It does make me want to include advantage/expertise for several other classes. It doesn't make much sense that bards/rogues can outdo all druids and rangers on nature checks, for example.
>>
>>50610860
I mean, I can do some fucking math for you.

Sorcerer with proficiency = 16 Charisma (minimum) + 2 = +5 bonus.

Fighter with proficiency = 12 or 13 charisma, probably, + 2 = +3 bonus. Advantage is about a +3 to the mean result, so Fighter is effectively slightly better than the Sorcerer.

However, the Sorcerer is going to keep bumping that Charisma because all his shit runs off of that, while the Fighter's got to worry about at least 2 other scores so he can keep being a decent Fighter.

It levels out, mathematically. The Fighter will be at an advantage if he has higher Charisma, but Fighters being good at specific skill checks is not high on my list of problems.
>>
>>50610859
Just say no moran
>>
>>50610883
>This almost sounds fine until you lump in the proficiency bonus shit for no reason. It's just awkward.
Your PB pretty much contains all the encounters you should be dealing with, from easy to challenging. Basically, fights you stand a chance at actually winning.
>>
> DM allow stuff from DandDwiki, but you have to check with him first
> This is his first campaign and he hardly has any system mastery

Sound like a red flag to me. Should I pull out? Should I go in with a Lucky Diviner?
>>
>>50610968
Abort. ABORT. FUCKING ABORT!
>>
>>50610870
Depends what sort of fishing you're doing.
>>
>>50608608
Any other people here whose stats don't fit their class and whose class doesn't fit their race

>Charisma13(+1) Paladin(lvl5) Sorcerer(lvl1) Gnome
>TFW my rp skills too OP
>TFW me DM friend and bro know enough about mythologies to make a custom enchanting system that makes sense logically and isn't broken.
>TFW my bro knows enough about politics to make entire kingdoms complete with the structure of their legal system and hierarchies.
>TFW ring of true sight + misty step can theoretically allow me to jump to the border ethereal and back

Homebrew ring of true sight: Wisdom DC 0, +5 per turn active (resets after long rest) failing once gives all lower difficulty effects simultaneously
Fail DC 5: 1 hour minor vision anomally (everything is green)
Fail DC 10: 4d6 psychic damage
Fail DC 15: blindness until long rest
Fail DC 20: 8d6 psychic damage
Fail DC 25: permanent blindness, Succeed DC 25 = Fail DC 10
Fail DC 30: Death, Succeed DC 30 = Fail DC 20
No roll, guaranteed death

Don't test fate with your rolls with this ring :P
>>
>>50610968
>DM allow stuff from DandDwiki
Run away!
>>
>>50610991
Gonna say a six-seven meters by two width and a proportionate depth. With one sail, possibly. Or are the proportions too skewed?
>>
>>50610992
seems a bit much for truesight
>>
>>50611034
The boat provided in the PhB closest to those dimensions is the Rowboat. 50 gp worth.
>>
>>50610907
>Advantage is about a +3 to the mean result.

Pls stop with this
>>
File: Zisedra Raincaller_zps0eaaabj9.jpg (261KB, 573x800px) Image search: [Google]
Zisedra Raincaller_zps0eaaabj9.jpg
261KB, 573x800px
Does anyone here got the Planeswalker Class pdf Wizards released a while ago? I tried to look for on their page, but it seems they deleted it for some reason.

I need this pdf a lot for an oncoming adventure I'm going to join in.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>50610992
>and then it INSTANTLY CASTS A BETTER VERSION OF POWER WORD: KILL ON YOU BECAUSE LOL SO DANGEROUS!
>unless you've been stacking +Save effects such as bless, paladin's aura and all that on top of good con and con saves, of course.
A person with resistance (GOOlock for example) or immune to damage and immunity/doesn't care about blindness and an easy way to cure blindness (Level 6 spell to cure it, blindsight to ignore it mostly.) woulndn't feel the effects much until the death save, and at that point it's a ridiculously high save that clearly isn't intended for typical 5e unless you're a legendary creature that has +10 to +15 on their con saves on a regular basis.

You've basically gone from 'Eh, I don't care about wearing this ring' to 'death' in a matter of a turn without warning.
... Of course, somebody would just cast revivify on you if they had it.

It would be much more appropriate if it just did more damage instead of just 'death', because the difference between resistable 8d6 damage and unresistable death is much too great.
>>
File: Another eagle barbarian.png (107KB, 540x521px) Image search: [Google]
Another eagle barbarian.png
107KB, 540x521px
>>50610968
Honestly I approve of trying to out-cancer him, but you won't. You can't.
You can't out-cancer the D&D wiki by obeying normal rules.
Not even netfighting or familiar abuse is that cancerous.

Fly on out of there.
>>
>when it benefits me it's a simulation
>when it fits me it's a game
>when it fits me it's a story
fuck my GM
>>
>>50610968
360° noscope and moonwalk away
>>
>>50611096
alright, sounds fair
>>
File: 1474598813092.gif (488KB, 284x210px) Image search: [Google]
1474598813092.gif
488KB, 284x210px
>>50610968
Escape while you can
>>
>>50610988
>>50610993
>>50611193
>>50611203
>>50611220
Thanks.
>>
>>50611193
What's wrong with netfighting?

I know nothing about it.
>>
>>50611346
By RAW you can make a melee weapon attack with a ranged weapon for 1d4 damage.
It only escalates from there.
>>
>>50608874
Clerics beat people to death for a living, dude
>>
>>50611366
>RAW melee attack for 1d4 damage
What, as an improvised weapon?
>>
>>50611420
It's technically not an improvised weapon. It's still an attack with a net.

Nets do not have the ammo property.
>>
>>50611427
It also doesn't have a damage stat.
>>
>>50611443
Yes, but that doesn't matter, because the 1d4 replaces the original damage. Doesn't matter if it's a heavy crossbow, a dart or a hand crossbow.
>>
>>50611469
Where does this 1d4 come from?
>>
>>50611487
Under the improvised weapons rules.
"If a character uses a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, or throws a melee weapon that does not have the thrown property, it also deals 1d4 damage."
Before you say it, no, this does not make the net an improvised weapon and not a net, as it does not specify so.
If you look under the 'ammo' property, you can see that if it had the 'ammo' property it would become an improvised weapon if you made this 1d4 melee attack.
>>
>>50611517
Sure, you don't lose out on the Net ability, but it's still an improvised weapon - If you're using the improvised weapon rules, it's clearly an improvised weapon. Like, you're literally using a ranged weapon to make a melee attack, as described by the improvised weapon rules.

The ammunition property (and it not existing) is irrelevant here. That's for weapons that actually expend ammo to use them (like it says it does) - you don't expend some "charge" of a net to use it like you would an arrow or a bolt, so yeah it isn't on the net. The fact that it says you can use ammunition-weapons as improvised weapons doesn't suddenly mean non-ammo ranged weapons aren't improvised weapons when you're literally using the improvised weapons rules, though. They have no relation to each other.

Regardless, what's the abuse here? Is it because some one-attack-person can use it as an attack action and it has more utility than some shortsword? Is this considered abuse?
>>
Nets don't deal damage, dudes
>>
>>50611590
At least if you want to be anal about it, there is nothing that specifically ties it to being an improvised weapon attack or that makes it lose its properties as a net aside from the implication that by the rule being under improvised weapons meaning it would be an improvised weapon. I'd say that's more RAI than RAW - As written, it doesn't seem to be an improvised weapon, but as intended it's clearly supposed to be improvised.

And, yes, basically, a AT rogue can:
1. Use booming blade / green flame blade. Compared to using a rapier for this, it's -2 (1d8 to 1d4) damage, and uses strength (barbarians make strength on rogue somewhat viable if you wish to go that path).
2. Sneak attack. Now that the net deals damage, it can actually trigger sneak attack from being a ranged weapon. This puts it pretty much on par with a rapier for BB/GFB as above.
3. Net effect. This is where it becomes better than a rapier - since it's still a net, it would restrain the enemy on hit, and require an action for the enemy to free themself (or have a friendly unit make an action to slash at it) or otherwise suffer the penalties of being restrained.

It's almost a direct upgrade, losing -2 damage on your turn in order to ensure a restrained effect on a target.

Also, importantly for nets, by RAW if you made a ranged attack with them you would make it ALWAYS with disadvantage at 5/10/15ft, but I believe RAI is that you shouldn't have disadvantage in 5ft. Not sure about that one.
>>
>>50611590
It's silly, but not THAT silly. I mean, it's essentially using the weights along the edges of a net as a weak flail.

And anyway, in practice any DM would see that it's an oversight on the part of the writers and treat it as an improvised weapon.
>>
>>50611590
For the explanation here, you have to go to an actual ruling on a tangential matter:

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/19/dagger-archery/

This ruling says that even when you throw a dagger, it still counts as a melee weapon and therefore does not qualify for the Archery fighting style.
People determined that the inverse must also be true, that when you club someone with a crossbow (or any ranged weapon), it still counts as a ranged weapon and therefore does qualify for the Archery fighting style. Any other effects that say "when you attack with a ranged weapon" but not when you make a ranged attack can also be applied.
>>
>>50611681
>>50611590
Melee Longbow with Sharpshooter and GWM is legit! LEGIT!
>>
>>50610988
>>50611203
>>50611193

Sounds like the D&D Wiki is amazingly bad. I've seen some silly weapon stats on it before, but what are the absolute worst parts of it? It it in Poe's Law territory, where if someone tried to troll them by adding intentionally bad material they wouldn't notice?
>>
>>50608608
>Now with fifty percent more bickering and name calling!
What the actual fuck?
>>
>>50611647
>>50611590
>>50611427
>>50611420
>>50611346
>>50611366
Would you say they're engulfing weapons?
>>
>>50611681
Which doesn't follow the built in logic, a thrown dagger is used as a dagger because it has the thrown property. Throwing it isn't improvised in any way.

Using an improvised weapon is its own thing that may act like an appropriate weapon at times, a net used wrong is no longer being used as a net.
>>
Oh, huh. I wasn't even considering that it being an improvised weapon would negate the Net effect.
It's not like this edition has those charts where it says "1H Weapon, 1d4 Damage, No Properties"...as far as I know. I can see the argument that it would, but a net is already an odd weapon.

If you do get the 1d4 damage + net, it seems like a better option for one-attack dudes with access to cantrips (and AT Rogues in particular), yeah. Especially since those cantrips scale.
I mean it doesn't seem like a really HUGE deal, but maybe my net bias is getting to me. And the image of a dude tossing a net on somebody that then bursts into flames and bounces to somebody else.

>>50611681
>>50611695

That's actually pretty funny and odd. Thanks, rules.

>>50611714
Uh...I'd say a net is an entangling weapon. If you read "engulfing" as "entangling" well ok then. I imagine "engulfing" to be more "whole" though, and not...full of holes like a net is. But that's mostly semantics.
>>
>>50611681
>>50611695
Exactly. Nothing in the rules says that "improvised weapon" overwrites the weapons existing properties. I don't know how much of this reaches actual tables, but it seems to be reductio ad absurdum from people who want dagger throwing to be viable.
>>
File: IMG_0140.jpg (117KB, 445x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0140.jpg
117KB, 445x640px
Kenku Bard or Human Pugilist for Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>50611762
That depends. If you play the kenku are you going to make terrible bird noises all the time?
>>
>>50611781
No, I read that block at the end of the race description in Volo's
>>
>>50611750
That's the same kind of intentionally misunderstanding rules that led to the, also wrong, bardic superhorse.
>>
>>50611698
That's why you really shouldn't rely on the wiki and any prospective GM, and I do mean GM because this applies to more than just D&D, should be going over any and all character designs with the players in a one on one to ensure that everyone is clear on how thing are going to work in session before the character is finalized.

It's pretty much common sense

>>50611708
Don't ask, as I beleive tis a silly refrence. I will say that I got a sensible chuckle out of it, so thanks, OP. The comparison is pretty much perfect if that was your intention.
>>
>>50611743
It's not a massive deal, but I'd say it's very strong against big powerful creatures.

Yeah, I think the real question is 'Do the improvised weapon rules negate the original weapon?'
It's more likely to work with net than with a crossbow/longbow because the ammo property states that the weapon 'is an improvised weapon' which suggests it might come under 'improvised weapons that do not resemble a weapon', but then again... It probably does.

Needless to say, whatever the RAW is, RAI is that this really shouldn't work.

However, I'm still confused about the net's range. It has a range of 5ft/15ft. Yet, ranged attacks at 5ft have disadvantage. It feels like it was designed to make a melee attack.
>>
>>50611823
Attacks made with a net is at disadvantage sans feats, they did a sage advice answer confirming.
>>
>>50611798
Can a rogue who throws a trident get a sneak attack bonus?
>>
>>50611762
>>50611781
Also, party composition is

>purple dragon knight fighter
>circle of land Druid
>blood hunter
>paladin

So I think either would be pretty good here
>>
>>50611823
I think it's entirely reasonable to work for the net, really. Some other stuff might be odd (I was going to use "loading" as a limit to how many bludgeoning attacks you can use with your xbow, but that says "fire this weapon" which means ranged attacks... so that's out).

But that's mostly because, as you say, it having a range of 5/15 while being a ranged weapon makes it more or less non-functional. Especially when in real life, they would be used at range of like 5 feet and whatnot just fine.

It seems like it should be classified as a melee weapon, and then like have Thrown - like a trident. That would immediately make it not dumb, right?

>>50611862
Oh, did they actually want for it to be a particularly exotic and special weapon requiring an optional rule (feats) to make it good? Disgusting.
>>
File: Lizardfolk Skeleton.jpg (37KB, 441x638px) Image search: [Google]
Lizardfolk Skeleton.jpg
37KB, 441x638px
What are some interesting encounters/villains/points of interest would be good to have on a tropical island? I plan on starting a game soon, and I am set on that locale based on discussions with my players. I have thought of some specific things, but I am mostly wondering what other people have in mind as well as more general things. I do have some undead things in mind, so pic related.
>>
>>50611762
So a bard with a magical inability to be creative, or a fighter who could use weapons and armor but chooses not to. You really like putting yourself at some kind of ludicrous disadvantage, don't you?
>>
File: 7hixUzz.jpg (659KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
7hixUzz.jpg
659KB, 1600x1200px
>>50611886
Giant coconut crabs. That's redundant, I know.
>>
>>50611897
I like playing fun characters

Do you hate having fun anon?
>>
>>50611911
What would giant coconut crabs be cracking open in the wild, besides people and larger coconuts?
>>
>>50611915
There's a lot of room in between the two extremes of "so rigidly optimized it's not fun" and "so weighed down by self-imposed handicaps that it's not fun."

To answer your question, though, the bard would probably be a little more fitting to the tone of a Ravenloft campaign. There could be a certain dramatic pathos in a character trying to keep hope alive through song but who can't compose anything new and can only parrot back songs he learned in happier times. The conceit that an unarmed guy is just as good in a fight as an armed one, without even any vague mysticism to justify it, is more suited to a comedy campaign.
>>
>>50611927
Houses? Dire clams?
>>
>>50611911
>>50611927
Good Lord, just think of a big coconut crab cracking a boar open, that would be... fucking intense and its an encounter now.
>>
>>50608632
In addition to these alternatives, you could also go for the Blood Hunter. My copy of the PDF is too big to share, but it's sort of a weird mix between Witcher, Vin Deisel from the Last Witchhunter, and Blood+.
>>
>>50611879
>Oh, did they actually want for it to be a particularly exotic and special weapon requiring an optional rule (feats) to make it good? Disgusting.
It was rules clarification, not errata, so its entirely plausible it was an oversight.
>>
>>50611862
It seems really odd to give permanent disadvantage (When advantage and disadvantage are usually only temporary) to using it without a feat (that'll only be taken by archers), but I can sort of understand.
Way to nerf PHB beastmaster ranger even more, because nets were honestly the only way to make it viable.

>>50611879
That seems much more logical. If they wanted to make it hard to use, they could simply have not put it on the weapons table and thus people wouldn't normally have proficiency with it.
>>
>>50611915
>pugilist
>fun

It literally doesn't really do anything much other than make grapples and try to not die.
Why not just play a barbarian? It's the same thing mechanically, just different fluff.
>>
>>50608859
Actually have a Feat for this shit in my setting that doesn't just give you spellcasting focus guns but allows you to make Caster shells as a glorious combination of bullet and scroll.
>>
File: 1399027868714.jpg (74KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1399027868714.jpg
74KB, 500x385px
>>50611871
>someone voluntarily playing a purple dragon knight

sickening
>>
File: glamazon_way_fix[1].jpg (386KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
glamazon_way_fix[1].jpg
386KB, 760x596px
>>50611743
>>
>>50611871
>purple dragon knight
>circle of the land
>blood
I feel sorry for that paladin. One sane man amongst people who're going to die horribly.
>>
>>50611959
>>50611927

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab
>"Coconut crabs may be responsible for the disappearance of Amelia Earhart's remains, consuming them after her death and hoarding her skeletal remnants in their burrows."

That's pretty fucking metal.
>>
>>50608682
>>50608698
Go for INT magic arrows/short rest.
>>
>>50612021
I'd recommend int+1 min 2, just so you don't have potentially 0 uses.
>>
>>50611681
So, let me get this straight: I can use a Net as a melee weapon using, let's say, Fighter with archery style, use Strength, thus dealing 1d4 + 2 (archery styel) + STR mod and restraining the target? And others strange shanenigans? Is this blatantly op or just stupid? Technically in getting the target caught the fighter would hurt him with punches or grappling maneuvers, so it makes kinda sense it would deal damage (sans the archery part, of course)
>>
>>50612044
I meant Int (Min 1). That way, you can't get 4 magic arrows at 3rd level.
>>
File: 1981290457152.png (37KB, 122x157px) Image search: [Google]
1981290457152.png
37KB, 122x157px
>>50612010
Oh shit, I was wondering if it was a reference. Good ol' oglaf.
>>
>>50611781
Playing a Kenku long death monk reason he joined the order was to increase his life span so he could continue search for a cure for his races curse.
>>
>>50611949
You have a good point but I like playing on conventional characters. I'm playing a pretty well optimized dwarf war cleric right now and it's Boring with a capital B.

I wouldn't say I'm weighing myself down with self imposed handicaps so much. I start with a cool character concept in my head and try to make it's weaknesses not so bad, or use them in ways that they're fun and interesting

For example, the backstory I had for my bard was that it was forced to join a traveling group of performers, almost purely so it could do sound effects on cue for much cheaper than say, hiring a band. He fit in pretty well but he wanted to find out the secret to curing himself of his flightlessness. So he took what he was good at (music and sounds) and his desire to travel abroad with a bit of magic affinity and joined the college of lore

For the pugilist, he was an orphan who grew up a hard life in the city of Luskan. He was never a big buffntuff kind of guy so he used his smarts to outthink his opponent. Because he was good at tracking down people he became a bounty hunter in the city, tracking down thieves and collecting the bounty after subduing (beating the snot out of) them. Since I'm my mind he's fighting in extremely cramped conditions he couldn't maneuver as well with armor, or swing a real weapon so he used his fists most of the time

>>50611996
Don't like the fluff with regards to how I imagined my character

>>50611999
>>50612015
Were all pretty new and the rest of my party doesn't browse forums like this to get optimized results. So here we are
>>
>>50612114
That guy's backstory sounds more like a rogue's. Living by his wits, slipping in and out of tight scrapes, using more compact weapons - it all just makes more sense than just walking into battle naked.
>>
File: Warlord.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Warlord.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50612114
Don't mind them. Banneret is by no means good or useful, but it isn't the end of the world. Still, if you guys haven't officially started yet, ask what it is he likes about the archetype. Because there's very likely something that does that much better than what he's going for. Battlemaster, the new Knight and Samurai archetypes, or even a janky homebrew Warlord.
>>
Every time I think about playing a sorcerer I see how many spells it knows and decides to play something else. Any sorcerer player here? Is it as limited as it seems? Did you have ~fun~ playing it?
>>
>>50611927
Boulders and mimics for the sweet gooey center. Unfortunately in the resulting destruction of all mid-sized containers you may lose items to the kaiju crab but oh well, worth it to rid mimics.
>>
>>50612114
Then refluff barbarian or monk.

It's 5e, it only makes sense that they'd pick up a weapon if they're getting into serious business rather than 'hey I hit people with my fists before, therefore it's perfectly fine to go punching the spawn of satan with my bare fists'. Monk at least makes sense because it's years of dedication to specifically unarmed practice, barbarian is actually half-decent at unarmed combat if they have to and you could just slightly adjust shortswords into 1d4 instead of 1d6 but can't be disarmed if you really have to be special after talking to your DM. Viable, but still slightly worse than using shortswords which means it's perfectly fair game.

Well, whatever. I just have beef with pugilist because it's not interesting. It doesn't bring anything to the board other than 'I can avoid dying or grapple' which is what barbarian already does, all it does it provide the fluff of 'I want to use strength but be unarmed and unarmoured'.

Heck, maybe a DM might let you use strength instead of dex for monk features. It's worse than having dex, but whatever.
>>
>>50612219
I'm in your boat, mate. And the fact that sorcerers are rare to irrelevant outside of Favored Souls in the setting we play in definitely doesn't help.
>>
So my players are done with Phandalin and all agreed to do Storm King's Thunder. The book gives some hints in how to connect the adventures with the hooks but does it really matter where I send them? I'm looking to send them to Triboar but Bryn Shandr and Goldenfield might also be interesting. I dunno, anyone who ran these have any ideas?
>>
>>50612296
>So my players are done with Phandalin
Is it good? I'm thinking of running mines for my players
>>
>>50608608
Is it just me or in the new Fighter UA is rapid strike not only over used, but a lazy mechanic?

I could see it on a swashbuckler or other fancy attack character. Especially as it is going to often be used by knocking the target down first. It also eats at the bonus action economy which is absurd for a 15th level ability.

Though it gets me thinking what should the knight, samurai and sharpshooter get instead?

Sharpshooter - Trick shot, Your precision at shooting affords you the ability to take opponents off their feet or force them back under your withering fire. if you hit a target you can use your bonus action to attempt to shove or knock prone your target using the stat the attack was made with.

Knight - Into the thick of it, You crash into the fray with such fervor that your enemies are unable to bring their numbers to bear against you. enemies no longer gain advantage for having another enemy next to you. once per turn if you shove or knock down a creature you may advance 5 feet.

Samurai - Force of will, Your intense focus allow you to channel your willpower like a physical force. When an enemy misses you, you can spend your reaction to make an opportunity attack or you can spend your reaction to gain advantage on an attack.
>>
>>50612219
You are overthinking it. Pick some spells you know you will use and scrap the rest. You don't need knock or identify or any crap like that. You have way more cantrips than any other class so get some utility out of those instead. Don't forget you can melt spell slots into sorc points and build higher spell slots too.

If you want a batman toolbelt with his shark repellant, then go wizard. If you want a a few more flexible reliable tools, like spiderman and his webslingers, then go sorcerer.
>>
>>50612314
Eh, the Samurai is the one archetype that I would leave it on. With Samurai, you actually have the built-in synergy of having a way to give yourself Advantage and it helps with the katana-rama fantasy of playing a Samurai.

Sharpshooter is just such a pile of dogshit that I wouldn't even bother trying to fix it. Playing a Battlemaster with the Sharpshooter feat is better in literally every way possible.

For Knight, enemies don't get advantage from having multiples unless they have a special trait. And building something that only counters Pack Tactics seems a little... niche to say the least. Something that buffs the Knight's ability to cope with a horde of smaller t hreats does sound good, but it also ends up being a little counter-intuitive since the Knight at least appears to be primarily designed as a soft duelist focused on holding the attention of an equal foe.
>>
>>50612337
Even with full spellpoint to spell conversion, wizards can cast more spells.
>>
>>50612218
So is it 20 Warlord for 12 maneuvers or just plain jane 20?
>>
Does sleeping render a character incapacitated? Can an Elder Brain establish a psychic link with a sleeping character?
>>
>>50612219
Being able to swap a known spell every level helps a bit. The way it works out, the spells you give up on ever learning are the corner-case utility spells that aren't very fun, like Comprehend Languages. You keep the nine-pound-hammer utility spells like Invisibility, Haste, and Polymorph, and you can twin them.
>>
Reminder about Magic Missile:

> Not an attack
> Not an area effect
> Roll damage once, as in roll 1d4+1, apply any modifiers a la Empowered Evocation or Elemental Affinity and apply that damage for each dart
> If a target is hit by multiple darts, they make multiple concentration checks

Is that right?
>>
>>50612347
Assuming a juice-and-cookie break or two every day, which isn't how the game works in practice.
>>
>>50612347
If a sorc doesn't want first or second level spells, then they can melt them all into higher spell slots. A wizard can't do that.

Wizards and sorcerers are not supposed to be like red and blue pokemon cartridges. They are entirely different. They aren't supposed to be exactly the same except a different casting stat.
>>
>>50612392
>Is that right?
Yes, finally we settled this
>>
What are the best lesser known D&D settings that aren't Eberron and Dark Sun?
>>
>>50612392
Empowered Evocation got errata into "1 damage roll of a spell"
>>
>>50612423
Does a Magic Missile with all three missiles aimed at a dying creature cause three failed death saves?
>>
>>50612399
I get that, but the fact of the matter is that a wizard will almost always both know and be able to cast far more spells than a sorcerer.

A wizard can fucking prepare more spells than a sorcerer knows of the wizard has 12+ int. This is ridiculous.
>>
>>50612426
I like Mystara
>>
>>50612431
No, *any* hit against an unconscious / dying creature is an automatic crit, and counts for two death saving throws. It would take two darts to auto-kill said target.

>>50612429
Correct. And since there's only "1 damage roll" for magic missile, the damage is applied to every dart. Roll the damage (1d4+1+X), and that damage is used for each dart.
>>
>>50612426
Planescape. Unfortunately I don't really think it works in 5e, which is too low power.
>>
File: JAM THIS.jpg (120KB, 972x491px) Image search: [Google]
JAM THIS.jpg
120KB, 972x491px
>>50612426
SPELLJAMMER

Wait what even counts as "lesser known"? Is it just "non-FR"?
>>
Is playing a gish really viable in this edition? I was hoping to do a bladelock but everyone says EB is just straight up better.
>>
>>50612438
It really isn't a problem. If you are really needing that shark repellant then go wizard. If you are fine with twinning haste or heightened dominate person or casting spells in the middle of social encounters without being noticed then go sorc.

If a bard or wizard tired to cast suggestion and the like on a creature during a social encounter, they are going to get some serious hostility towards them. A sorc could subtle spell and never be seen casting a spell.

They are different classes.
>>
>>50612453
Wrong. It can only crit if it's an attack, and Magic Missile isn't an attack. All three darts are required.
>>
>>50612495
Yeah. As 5e has a huge userbase that is relatively new to the scene, and the only settings outside of FR that ever get mentioned with any regularity is Eberron, followed by occasional clamors for Dark Sun.
>>
>>50612519
Gish builds definitely work. Bladelock is not a gish. Bladelock is still a cantrip cannon, just with some decent melee as backup in case you get pinned. You don't have the HP or AC to be a proper frontline gish.
>>
>>50612519
Lucky for you, there are like seven other, better ways to play a gish.
>>
>>50612519
Sure, Bladelock works if you choose a Dwarf or start as a Paladin or Fighter (so you can get armor proficiencies worth a damn), and then get to level 12 (for Lifedrinker), while also choosing basically no spells that rely on Charisma (because you're going to be putting all of your points into STR so you can hit shit and wear heavy armor, and CON so you don't die).
>>
>>50612537
I concede. That looks right. IF they take damage by any means, it's one death saving throw fail. If they get critical'd (and all attacks on an unconscious person counts as a critical), then it's two fails.

Magic Missile isn't an attack, just damage. You right.
>>
>>50612519
bladelock, paladin, ranger, eldritch knight, bladesinger, valor bard, wot4e monk, arcane trickster
>>
>>50612426
Spelljammer and Dragonlance.

I guess technically PoLand.
>>
>>50612581
all attacks within 5 feet, isnt it?
>>
>>50612114
We micheal winslow now
>>
>>50612607
All attacks I believe. You can range attack, but ranged attacks against prone targets (and unconscious people are usually prone) are at disadvantage outside of 5 ft. Fortunately all attacks against an unconscious person are at advantage, so they cancel out.

All attacks.
>>
>>50612624
>>50612607
only attacks within 5 feet cause crits.
see unconcious:
"Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5 feet" PHB 292
>>
>>50612655
>>50612655
Shiiiiit. I'm wrong again. It's too early for this guys, you're shaking my confidence.

But glad we can finally put this magic missile nonsense behind us.
>>
What's the best refluffing or reflavoring of spells you've ever seen?

Aside from pic related, my favorite is the magical bearded wizard one of my players had. Literally everything was reflavored to be the beard animating and doing stuff.
>>
File: origamiwings.gif (1MB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
origamiwings.gif
1MB, 540x304px
>>50612708
Goddamn failure. Pic related
>>
>>50612708
Can't remember the name that the spell was changed to but a fire oriented druid in one of my games had changed ice knife to fire and piercing damage. Like a small explosive mini grenade.
>>
>>50612708
Been trying to figure out how to refluff spells to be like a Blue Mage from Final Fantasy where I cast the spells/monster abilities used on me. Still can't really figure it out, because if a spell is cast and i see/feel it, i should beable to cast it, but i cant make a spell list that has enough variety of spells to cover everything i encounter. Even refluffling doesn't work because sometimes a spell does something beyond damage and I don't have a spell on a list to compensate.

I think it would the most awesome way to refluff spells though.
>Fighting a dragon and kobolds
>Dragon breaths fire, laying cover for the kobolds
>I cast scorching ray and breath the exact same Dragon breath at the kobolds
>Kobolds: ...What do?
>>
>>50612829
Just pick wizard, and take note of what spells are cast on you. Then go do research / find spell scrolls / find a mentor to learn that spell. You *can* do that, just not instantly or by sight / feel.

Or pick sorcerer, and spend your time trying to imitate / cast what you've seen cast on you. When you level up / learn a new spell, pick that spell.
>>
Can I cast Elemental Weapon on a +1 magical weapon?

The spell use different wording from Magic Weapon... Which make it sound like the spell do 2 things... 1) make the weapon magical
2) give it bonus damage.
>>
>>50612829
>learn a new move just by watching it once
Come on, that's lame.
>>
>>50612869

>"A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon."
So no.
>>
>>50612870
>Eating monsters to gain their powers
Nah nigga, you REALLY want to blue mage, you have to get hit with the spell. And Survive.
>>
>>50612100
No one?
>>
>>50612708
When I got Holy Nimbus as a paladin I flavored it as I was going super Saiyan in everything but name.
>>
File: 1474736296903.jpg (81KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1474736296903.jpg
81KB, 752x1063px
>>50611142
Anyone, guys? I really need that.
>>
>>50612901
If the language format is anything like MtG card.

"." are used to separate 2 effect that happen simultaneously. But one can definitely happen without the other isn't it?

>"A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon."

Doesn't happen. Since the weapon isn't nonmagical.

> Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits

Still happen

Magic Weapon spell is pretty clear that you can't do it. I wonder why they worded it differently here.
>>
>>50612988
I found this: http://dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/147062272101/mtg-planeswalker-class-by-dersitephantom-rest-of

and I found this: https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf

The first is a homebrew of a Planeswalker class, the second is PlaneShift Zendikar setting officially released by WOTC.
>>
>>50612708
Not really spells, but on the topic of beards, we had an old Monk in our party with a really long beard, tipped with a fist-sized onyx bead. He used that for his attacks, sort of like a ball-and-chain, and eventually the DM just let him have a range of 10ft for giggles.
>>
>>50612864
The arcane trickster can pretty much steal spells, but sadly only at a level that most people won't ever see.
>>
>>50612100
>>50612980

That is how the RAW gets cooked, yes.
>>
>>50612993
>If the language format is anything like MtG card.
It's not and you can't.
Weapon has to be strictly non magical.
Just carry a non magical weapon alongside your magical one.
>>
>>50613064
This annoys me. At level three you're a seasoned adventurer, superior to 99% of the population. But all you've learned in what is likely years of experience is how to be a bit more nimble with your mage hand.

5e is so low powered that it is absurd.
>>
>>50612993
Things aren't templated as rigidly as they are in Magic, but in this case it's pretty clear. "The weapon" referred to in the second clause means the nonmagical weapon you touched at the beginning. It cannot refer to any other weapon.
>>
>>50612594
Yeah, these all give you different types of spells, different ratio for melee to magic.
You pick and choose what you'll prefer.
>>
File: 1479062091763.jpg (178KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
1479062091763.jpg
178KB, 605x605px
>>50608706
A friend and I stopped going to our regular group over this stupid shit. One guy constantly wants to be some random homebrewed shit with no fucking balance intended or implied, then ignores everything that doesnt directly involve his character and plays with his phone. Not driving half an hour to sit and listen to Jimmy the Half-slime-reaper monologue about how he's personal friends with the entire partys god/goddess of choice.
>>
>Game starts tomorrow and I still don't know what I will play
>>
>>50613208
If you're undecided, just fill any missing roles in the team.
>>
File: 1480853867684.png (779KB, 1024x968px) Image search: [Google]
1480853867684.png
779KB, 1024x968px
>>50608706
Half-caster with d10 hit dice. Is it op?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3YOCPU_5TFvbzhvZG5hX1NjX00/view
>>
>>50612993
In mtg terms, the spell only has 1 target, namely "a non magical weapon." If you have no targets, you can't cast the spell.

Same thing here. Weapon that doesn't fit the criteria (because it's already magic)? Tough shit, can't target it with Elemental Weapon.
>>
>>50609661
We have glimpses of it. It mostly seems to have been the Sword coast with a bit of the inland area, a bunch of cities that Mirt wandered in and out of while doing mercenary stuff and swashbuckling adventure. The Company of Crazed Venturers was the first campaign after he started using it as a setting, and introduced most of the Sword Coast North, then he did his Knights of Myth Drannor, which let him develop most of what became Cormyr, the Dales, and some of the Inner Sea area.
>>
>>50613238
>fill any missing roles in the team
I probably play a caster because of this, but which one? The only one I'm sure I will not play is warlock
>>
>>50613315
I think you should play a warlock, mate
>>
>>50613315
what are the other characters, ya jerk
>>
>>50613315
Definetly warlock. It is the most fun caster class.
>>
>>50613208
Play Halfling diviner with lucky feat.
>>
>>50613123
> year of experience
> LMoP PC get to level 3 in less than a week
>>
>>50613360
>>50613398
I already played a warlock for the past few months, I want to try something different (And yes, it was pretty fun)

>>50613383
>what are the other characters
Human Monk
Half-elf Beastmaster (revised)
Human Barbarian
(Don't remember race) Fighter
>>
>>50613467
Lore Bard? These people probably enjoy a supporting character.
>>
>>50613467
>no proper casters
Go caster ya dunce. Cleric/wizard.
>>
>>50612708
Larloch's Minor Drain
Eldritch Blast that gives temp HP equal to half the damage taken but may only be used to target one creature. (Meaning the additional bolts are locked on target.)
>>
>>50612392
No. They make only a single concentration check as magic missile is only one source of damage.

You cannot instantly kill a dying creature with level 1 magic missile.
>>
>>50613492
Better yet. Theurge Life Domain Wizard
>>
>>50613467
None of the characters have CHA or INT as class stat.
Some classes that would fit the composition are:
Arcane Trickster, or any rogue for that matter.
Wizard, specially a non-evoker.
Lore Bard, as your group already has a frontline.
Sorcerer, because why not.
>>
>>50613467
Cleric or Bard
>>
>>50613517
You're late to the conversation. Someone already dig down on sageadvice which stated otherwise about concentration check.

>>50613497
That's not refluffing.
>>
>>50613531
>Theurge Life Domain Wizard
Most UA is allowed but definitely not this
>>
>>50613539
>None of the characters have CHA or INT as class stat.
You are right

>Arcane Trickster, or any rogue for that matter.
We already have a monk and we would have no full caster then
>>
>>50613547
Neither of the two responding posts seems to contest that particular part, so I went down on it, but it's good to see somebody is no longer wrong on the internet.
>>
>>50613432
>Play Halfling diviner with lucky feat.

"DM's HATE him!"
>>
File: IMG_0299.png (513KB, 470x483px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0299.png
513KB, 470x483px
>>50613432
>>50613717
And so does everyone else at the table as you sit there for 5 minutes after every single fucking roll trying to decide if you want to re roll it.
>>
File: 1427013623920.jpg (399KB, 1259x900px) Image search: [Google]
1427013623920.jpg
399KB, 1259x900px
How do you guys tend to view warlocks? Are they cultists? Are they few and far between? Are they a mage who was tempted into the dark arts? Are they priest-like at all?
>>
>>50613785
>>
>>50613785
They are japanese high school teenager who make contract with collective unconciousness.
>>
File: Canis Cataphractus Drone.png (111KB, 464x1034px) Image search: [Google]
Canis Cataphractus Drone.png
111KB, 464x1034px
Intended as the final boss of sorts for the first arc of the campaign that will have the party at level 4, fleeing from an execution they disrupted. The fiendish construct will be dispatched to kill the vigilante that orchestrated it and return the condemned prisoner. It'll have a pair of down-graded hellhounds as a hunting pack that the NPC will occupy while the party handles the real threat.

Everything look in order?
>>
Almost all my players have experience with MTG either growing up or currently, as well as myself. I would love to implement Slivers and even the Sliver Queen into our campaign.

ANY ideas or suggestions on how to do that or where to start?
>>
>>50613208
I'm almost deciding, just don't know if it will be Yuan-Ti wizard or bard
>>
>>50613887
There are two officially released books with stuff for magicfags in them.
>>
>>50613951
And not a Sliver to be found.
>>
>>50613785
Some win their powers in various challenges. Card games, drinking contests, games of wits.
>>
>>50613992
It's almost like mutagenic hivemind ghost weevils are a stupid concept even for fantasy.
>>
>>50613945
Since yuan-ti are practically devoid of emotions, Bard would be a bit jarring to me unless you come up with a good explanation for it, so maybe wizard.
>>
Can anyone post that revised Samurai that the Anon did?
>>
>>50608706
My brother was the only true power gamer Ive ever played with, this is drawing from a limited pool though. He abused the fuck out of the weaboo book of fightin magic and it was a mess. He even felt guilty about it afterwards and has made a complete about face. He dm's our current 5e group and is open to anything from WotC, but if the test drive goes poorly he will nix the problem.
>>
Daily reminder that if you can't describe your character in two sentences without mentioning his race, class, or equipment, you are a shit player. No exceptions.
>>
>All status effects make you go last in initiative order, or make your turn go right before the effect was applied (in the next round) if you're already last.

Is there any problem with this? I don't want to render someone prone just to have then stand up instantly because they happen to be next
>>
File: Samurai-Draft2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Samurai-Draft2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50614065
That Anon in question here, unless there was someone else who did one.
>>
>>50614070
That's like saying, describe yourself without mentioning your hobbies, things you own, your ethnicity, or your job.
>>
>>50614058
>Bard would be a bit jarring to me unless you come up with a good explanation for it
I had college of whispers in my mind, also I think of bards as people who get magic by the power of words (like in the "Name of the Wind") and from gathering lore
>>
How do you deal with a PC who has a family and home to come back to? One of my players has a Paladin with a husband and kids back in her town. How do I integrate that in the narrative?
>>
>>50614132
If those define your whole personality, you are a shit person.
>>
>>50614150
Kill them off. Make the paladin fall for not saving them.
>>
>>50614023
A stupid concept for fantasy is how four classes from the PHB have a main spellcasting stat that affects how powerful their magic is tied directly with how well they are at lying / being sociable.
>>
>>50614153
You didn't say personality, you said character.
>>
>>50614150
Have some sort of danger sweep through town, a necromancer or band of bandits. Don't mention whether they died or not, just imply it. Have them run back to town and find out that not only did they survive, the husband as able to help successfully fend off the threat alongside the towns people. He's celebrated as a sort of folk hero, then you can just have a session dedicated to home cooking and good times.
>>
>>50614176
That's even worse. If those define YOU as a whole, then you pretty much fail at life.
>>
>>50614150
His kids are actually the BBG's kids.
>>
How do you spice up 5e combat? It's pretty boring to me now.
>>
>>50613876
Depending on the size, magic items, and spells of your party, they may kill it in a single round.
>>
>>50611871
This group could benefit from some Arcane Might of some flavor, or perhaps someone capable of doing Rogue-like things.
>>
>>50614191
If you define your character by personality alone and nothing they do has meaning or lasts than you fall into "lolrandumb".
>>
>>50614191
Please describe yourself following those requirements.
>>
>>50614210
make it tactical as fuck. more things to interact with. chairs, chaneliers, tables. dont forget rules for cover, have enemies be smart instead of just running in and charging. play some high level magic shit. lots of things you can do to keep things interesting.

if you've already done all of that, bust out the miniatures and gtfo of /5eg/ and get into /wh40k/
>>
>>50614210
Remember Tucker's Kobolds. Enemies that just run in and do attacks are worth their CR, maybe less. Enemies using actual tactics are worth far above their own CR.
>>
>>50614260
>b-but if a f-fighter thros a barrel for 20 damage and his full attack deals 15 damage then he should only throw barrels
>the wizard have to only throw barrels too because his spells deal 10 damage at most
>reeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>50614112
Thanks for that. Will be using this.
>>
>tfw sword coast adventurers guide has damage on the cover

Should I return it?
>>
>>50614293
>>50614290
>>50614260
>>50614210

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/TuckersKobolds.pdfhttp://slyflourish.com/5e_encounter_building.html
http://dungeonsmaster.com/2012/03/tips-for-making-encounters-more-interesting/
>>
Friend of mine wants to play D&D. We couldn't find more people interested, so it's just me as the DM and him as a single player.

Just wondering how to tweak certain things for 1-on-1 D&D

>Long Rest watch order.
Obviously he's by himself, so should i just remove the need to have a watch order and just tell him if he can or cannot rest somewhere when he wants to rest?

>Enemies
Should I just scale enemy HP down? or would it be better to scale the number of enemies down? It might be fun for him to 1-shot goblins, but it might also be awesome to have all the combats be like 1 on 1 duels.

>DMpcs
Should I send an NPC with him who is a PC to accompany him to help him out? Or is that just taking the easy way out? If I did send an NPC with him, any suggestions for making the sessions feel focused on him and not for me to fall into the trap of just playing a PC?

He's a pretty traditional guy, he's into story based games. I was thinking of basically setting it up like a Legend of Zelda game. He hasn't decided what he's gonna play as, but i know him pretty well and i think Elf, Human or Half-Elf for race, and then Ranger or Paladin for class.

Any other suggestions for 1-on-1 D&D would be appreciated. Thanks!
>>
>>50614218
4 players. The first two are the only one's with magic weapons.
>Assassin Rogue that won't get getting an ambush
>Valor Bard
>Shaman, Ancestor Calling
>Devotion paladin
>>
how can I into 5e spelljammer?
>>
File: Cleric and Wizard Discourse.jpg (155KB, 420x566px) Image search: [Google]
Cleric and Wizard Discourse.jpg
155KB, 420x566px
Guys, I need help. My 8 int kobold wizard just cast magic missile on a level 3 fighter EK with maneuvers and 2 feats with his diamond pickaxe focus, but does it still trigger hex? The fighter is also a catgirl if that matters.
>>
By the Old Ones I must have stumbled into the most obnoxious players ever.

>ask for character concepts
>one is a wrassler
>one is muh tinkerer-alchemist
>one is a child rogue
>and the last just showed up to the game without anything and said that he'll just roll up somethign on the spot

The first two insisted that I should allow their ridiculous homebrewed classes, which I didn't. They had to refluff the monk and the wizard. The third straight-up asked if he will get bonus XP for creativity. I convinced him to replace "child" with "halfling". The fourth made a monk and proceeded to spew DBZ references all the time.

I ran a single game and walked away. Call me no fun allowed, but this is too much. If it's either this or no group at all, I choose the latter. Holy shit.
>>
>>50609040
That's not how some of that works but that's still pretty fast
>>
>>50614444
Which kind of catgirl? Can it break the speed of sound?
>>
>>50614441
Adapt content from Older Editions?

Start a regular vanilla game on a vanilla fantasy world and then Wolf Men from beyond the stars invade with wolf shaped space sailing ships?

Mindflayers. Fucking Mindflayers.

Is it just me or did they tease the fuck out of Spell Jamming with the Mindflayer and Neogi entries in Volo's guide?
>>
>>50614441
https://spelljammerblog.wordpress.com/category/editions-systems/5th-edition-dd-next/
https://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/cosmonomicon/
https://nerdarchy.com/2014/11/game-master-tips-spelljammer-dungeons-dragons-5th-edition-dd/
>>
>>50614444
rocks fall and you die, interrupting any possible and theoretical interaction.

>>50614475
>not wanting 25/8 DBZ references from your monks
>>
>>50614513
Anime is disgusting.
>>
>>50614070
My character is a smooth talking con-man in it for the artistry and mastery of the craft, not for personal gain (though he doesn't mind making some extra coin when possible). He targets only those who can spare the coin or he feels deserves comeuppance.
>>
>>50614475
Did you try to host on roll20 or something?
>>
>>50614560
The fact that you felt the need to prove yourself to a shitposter just means that you're a shit player. No exceptions.
>>
>>50609712
>How would I go about making an Urban druid?

You'd play a bard. Its literally what it is.
>>
>>50614553
>Anime is disgusting
>He says on a mongolian fingerpainting imageboard
>>
>>50613252
>Paladin and Ranger
>Being OP
>>
>>50614560
Good job.
>>
>>50614582
I just wanted to share my character. I really like him but hardly ever get to play him since that group only meets once a month now, sometimes every other month.
>>
>>50614511
>Start a regular vanilla game on a vanilla fantasy world and then Wolf Men from beyond the stars invade with wolf shaped space sailing ships?

That's a dope idea anon

>>50614512
Thanks buddy!
>>
>>50614083
Other PCs with higher initiatives should ready an action to attack the target when he falls down and when the guy who knocks him prone finishes then everyone attacks afterward. Sometimes the optimal combat turns are in the wrong initiative order and you have to get creative.
>>
In Justice League Doom, the Justice League is taken down by having really stupidly specific plans made to utilize their weaknesses and counter them.

How would you do this with the individuals of the following adventure party:

Berzerker Barbarian
Wild Magic Sorcerer
Arcane Trickster Rogue
Lore Bard
Eldritch Knight Fighter

The more flavorfully specific, the better.
>>
>>50614627
>Berzerker Barbarian
>Wild Magic Sorcerer
>Arcane Trickster Rogue
>Lore Bard
>Eldritch Knight Fighter

describe these characters a bit more desu
>>
>>50614627
Psychic damage against the berzerker.
A giant stone golem against the sorcerer and bard.
Undead against the rogue.
The fighter gets a fair fight against an equally matched villain since he's clearly the hero of the story and the main protagonist.
>>
>>50614644
Berzerker Barbarian
Captain of a ship; alcoholic, has a sentient sword that functions like Blackrazor
Wild Magic Sorcerer
Quiet. Primary spells are Lightning Bolt, Fireball, and Magic Missile. I don't think he has anything else.
Arcane Trickster Rogue
45 movement speed. Loves to B.A. to disengage, and do driveby Booming Blades

Other two are actually non-factors.
>>
Hello /tg/.
I just started getting into pen&paper rpg.
Im trying to create a character and I fail to understand some mechanics.
Im trying to make a Rogue.
Hes fascinated by magic and its versatility, so obviously Ill take Arcane Trixter archetype for him later.
I tried to plan on what spells Ill take, and here I stumbled onto a problem.
All that follows I know from players handbook.

From what I know, all spells MUST be wizard spells.
Additionally, they all must be Enchantement or Ilusion type, EXEPT one of the initial three I learn on lvl3 when selecting an archetype and ones I learn when I reach lvls 8, 14 and 20, which still must be wizard spells, but can be of any school of magic.

Now it gets tricky for me.
PH states
>"The Spells Known column o f the Arcane Trickster Spellcasting table shows when you learn more wizard spells o f 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be an enchantment or illusion spell of your choice, and must be of a level for which you have spell slots."
I understand that I can learn more spells the higher my lvl gets, and how I can cast lower spells using higher spell slot but not high spells using lower spell slot.
I can see what spell slots I gain on which lvl.

What I dont get is how number of spells I know correlates with number of my spell slots and levels of spells I can learn.
Could anyone bother explaining that to me?

Also, is there a need to came up with a storytelling way of acquiring new spells or abilities, or do characters just spontaneously know new spells or skills?
>>
>>50614169
While the DnD stats are an unchanged sacred cow that still doesn't really make proper sense, that's something with the mechanics that generalizes characters that I wouldn't really relate to an argument about whether something is too 'far out' for the low-medium fantasy of 5e.

And, at least it makes a vague amount of sense. Bookish nerds aren't innately good at socializing. Bards and paladins tend to be innately good at socializing, warlocks can be manipulative, sorcerers have to use their social force of will to manipulate their gained powers. But, eh, it's kinda weird.
>>
>>50614620
>That is a dope idea anon

Enjoy it, and you can read more about the Vodoni (space wolf men empire) by googling the spelljammer adventure "Under the Dark Fist".

Its basically an Evil multiplanetary space roam with Wizards who breed and curse special werewolf soldiers out of certain members of the population, the emperor has their former god trapped somehow.

Its expansionist space empire with non infecting werewolf soldiers trapped in hybrid form. Start the party with spell jamming in a relatively off the flow planet where a small initial invasion force arrives and forces the different factions already established in your vanilla land to come together or be defeated by air superiority.
>>
>>50614260
Raw though improvised actions suck. Like this is hardcoded into 5e.
>>
>>50614627

I mean I'll try to keep it simple so we don't get too complicated.

>Berzerker barbarian

Pit trap with magically slick walls.

>Wild magic sorcerer

Eh this is mostly just a normal sorc, anything anti-magic will fuck them up.

>Arcane Trickster Rogue

True sight grappling monster

>Lore Bard

Mage slayer shadow monk

>EK fighter

A creature with at-will charm effects.
>>
>>50614293
who the fuck said anything about throwing barrels you fucking autist.
>>
>>50614688
>Barb

Have him attacked by multiple swarms of insects, birds, or sometbi g else that can harry him endlessly. It'll keep him in rage, you can have tem block line of sight, and they can keep that up so much that he'll never sleep and just get exhausted.

>Sorcerer

Specialized water Elemental. Has a metallic core that lets it heal off lightning spells, and Fire spells just turn it onto steam. It has orders to try and grapple and confine the Sorcerer. Blasting magic won't get him out of it.

>Rogue

Have him attacked on somewhere that's close quarters or poor terrain, such as a small boat on the sea. If that isn't possible, hi w him a taste of his own medicine and have him harried by flying monsters with flyby attack. Bonus points if they resist Thunder damage.

Lore Bard can probably be done with a silence field and something to keep them inside.

EK Fighter could have a Golem that's gonna be resisting magic and weapons.
>>
>>50614714
You can only know spells for which you have slots of an equal or greater level. For example, when you have 3rd level spell slots, and reach a level where you would learn a new spell, you may learn a spell of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level.
>>
>>50614756
eh, this is really up to your DM, but yeah ill concede that point.
>>
>>50614714
Spells known and spell slots are independent.

Spell slots number means how many times you can cast any spells of a given level. If you run out of them, you can't cast spells spells of that level, or lower level spells on that level.

Spells known number is how many spells you actually know at a given level. If it changes from 3 to 4 on a level up, you learn one additional spell, and so on. You also can replace a spell that you know with another one when you level up.

As of storytelling way of acquiring new spells or abilities, talk to your GM. For the sake of simplicity, most will say that you just get new stuff, no reason needed.
>>
>>50614627
There's a reason for the specificity. They were using Batman's contingency plans against the League, ala Tower of Babel. He'd come up with ways to neutralize each member of the league in case they ever went rogue. Those plans were stole and used against them.
>>
>>50614169
Magic doesn't exist, there is no sane or accurate way to depict it.
>>
>>50614169
Warlocks and paladins are straight up asking their gods/patrons for more good-boy points so they can do better shit and bards are bards. They have reason.
>>
Does anyone really adhere to the strength requirement for Plate Armor?
>>
>>50614965
Paladins don't get their powers from Gods though.
>>
>>50611999
i've played one and it was fun
>>
>>50614966
Yeah? I don't think I've heard of it being ignored.
>>
>>50614826
Oh I'm painfully aware of how it was done, and why.

>>50614794
>>50614759
>>50614683
Stealing bits and pieces from all of these. Thanks guys.
>>
>>50614966
The only time I've seen a DM not is when they were using the Encumberance variant so wearing heavy armor without enough strength would make you move slow anyway
>>
>380 replies
>page 8
Wtf /5eg/

NEW THREAD

>>50615077
>>50615077
>>50615077
>>50615077
>>
>>50614965
Warlocks could easily be intelligence based casters.

That's something I miss from 4e. Different subclasses made use of different secondary stats.
>>
File: 1475591222191.png (16KB, 958x660px) Image search: [Google]
1475591222191.png
16KB, 958x660px
>>50615112
>tfw they threw 4e out instead of just learning from it and making it better
>>
>>50615112
4e locks weren't even Int based. Feylocks were Cha, Fiendlocks were Con, and Starlocks were one or the other with a bigger emphasis on Int.

It actually worked a lot better in some ways, since Fiendlocks also got medium armor and could get in closer to murder while also having a lot of extra durability from Con.

I'd be down with different Patrons needing different casting stats for how they're contacted though
>>
>>50615081
eh jumped the gun imo
>>
>>50614627
Just isolate them, swarm them with kobolds and make the kobolds shove them to the floor, grapple them, disarm them if possible and kick the shit out of their body.
Solves every problem.

Eh, but
>berzerker
Trigger rage, then run. Repeat.
Makes sense flavour-wise.
>sorcerer
Trigger twinned buffs, run, repeat. Otherwise, simply just aim for them. They're the most vulnerable character there.
>Rogue
Pretty much anything that inflicts disadvantage on them. Use your imagination. Problem with grapple monsters is rogues can have very high anti-grapple rolls. I'd probably just suggest baiting them into running ahead of the party and then isolating them.
Makes a lot of sense flavour-wise since you expect rogues to be easily baited, and they run around a lot and try out all the traps.
>Bard
Probably the hardest, but you can run down their spells over a long day or, even better, silence them. Remember the 'silence' spell?
Definitely suitable against a bard.
>EK fighter
Great AC, pretty meh saving throws until they get indomitable.. And that's limited. As suggested elsewhere, focus on charms / wisdom saving throws.
>>
>>50615185
I think 5e definitely learned a lot from 4e. But the general approach to 4e wasn't compatible with 5e's focus on streamlining.
>>
Are there any good over world travel rules that I could appropriate for 5e?
>>
>>50615553
What's wrong with the existing rules on pages 181 and 182 of the PHB?
>>
>>50614784
It's an old Meme.

Wizards can do all sorts of things because they have magic.
Martials aren't allowed to do fun things because it's just physical prowess, if you let a fighter pick up a barrel and hurl it at a foe one of two things will happen.
It will either be less effective than if he just walked up and smacked them with his sword, which if so, why bother? Just hit them with your sword.
Or it will be more effective than hitting with his sword, so why the fuck aren't you carrying a cartload of barrels around.

Which kind of sucks but it's true. Even had something similar happen with a player at my table. They were just leaving a fishing barge and got into a combat soon after, the Barbarian wanted to take a Harpoon and hurl it into one of the trolls rather than just charging with his greataxe. So being generous I let him resolve it as a single improvised thrown attack that dealt 2d10+Str damage and pulled the foe 10ft closer. It seemed harmless fun, he harpooned the troll and reeled it closer and away from the party mage. He had fun, I had fun, we all had fun.

Then after the combat he ran back onto the ship, grabbed multiple harpoons calling "This is WAY better than my Greataxe!" and went on to get immensely upset and salty that I wouldn't let him be Captain Ahab and it was a one-off rule of cool interaction. He then continued to be butthurt over it for the rest of the session. Manchild.
>>
>>50615081
34 lurkers here.
6 there.
I'm good, thanks.
>>
>>50616568

>>50615077
>>50615077
>>50615077
>>50615077
>>
File: jtnKJ8U.png (249KB, 1063x757px) Image search: [Google]
jtnKJ8U.png
249KB, 1063x757px
>>50616568
>"what is this anon talking about?"
>look at stats
>34 here, 6 there
Those are images in the thread, not viewers. Just hover your mouse over them, anon.
>>
>>50616592
Shhh, if you teach him I won't get to laugh at him.
>>
>>50614622
I know. I think that is a flaw, not a feature.
Right now being knocked prone does fuck all.
Thread posts: 396
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.