[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post-2nd Ice Age Worldbuilding Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Frozen Wasteland.jpg (244KB, 1406x703px) Image search: [Google]
Frozen Wasteland.jpg
244KB, 1406x703px
The Second Ice Age has caught the world off guard. In a span of five years, the global temperature has decreased dramatically, causing almost arctic conditions in the regions north and south of the equator. Only the regions within 1,000 miles of the equator have remained at a livable temperature, roughly equivalent to an Alaskan winter.

It's two centuries from today, technology is borderline futuristic. Synthetic materials, semi-autonomous machines, and cybernetic enhancements were all somewhat common before the freeze. Genetic engineering hasn't made much progress in animals, due to ethical constraints.

The government has almost completely collapsed, and billions have frozen to death and starved worldwide. Millions of refugees from the far north and far south have fled to the equator, and dozens of bloody, vicious wars between dying nations over territory, food, and resources were held in the years before stockpiled food ran out.

That was roughly thirty years ago.

Tribes, petty nation states, and warlords are now the primary governing authority. Most land is lawless, frigid, and hellish. Humanity has degenerated significantly both morally and technologically, relics of the past and those who can effectively use and manufacture them are highly valued.

Roving bands of marauders and starving animals are a significant threat. Mysticism is making a comeback, and science as a whole is declining. The growing season is short and the soil yields just a little bit less each year, and many fear that the end is nigh.
>>
> Frozen bump.
>>
> C'mon, /tg/, don't let this thread die before it starts.
>>
>>50606269
Neat

That's all I got man
>>
>>50609033

Thanks, I'm trying to flesh the setting out for a Savage Worlds campaign my players have been wanting to try out, and I've already got the crunch figured out. Post ideas for factions, encounters, NPCs, etc.
>>
So where is your campaign itself going to be set? Does anyone have greenhouses? I could see someone with massive greenhouse complexes being a real power-player in this world. Have you decided if magic is real or not? How common are guns in-setting? What sort of tone are you going for?
>>
>>50609474
There are two really cool fantasy settings for Savage Worlds about an apocalyptic winter: Hellfrost and Winter Eternal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpUd5jNoHbU
>>
File: 1442527997936.jpg (303KB, 1796x1197px) Image search: [Google]
1442527997936.jpg
303KB, 1796x1197px
>>50606269
>/tg/ posts a concise summary of my setting

What the fuck do you want me to do, CTRL+C?
>>
>>50609503

It's going to be set in the Midwest USA. Greenhouses are rare, as few people have the electrical resources and manpower to sustain them. I've got a vague idea that some fraction of the government still survives, and holds most of the advanced technology, but I was also thinking that a cargo cult structured like a guild would be interesting to. I've decided that magic is going to be subtle and ambiguous, just a +2 to a certain roll, weather-altering rituals, and so on, most educated people don't believe in it, but many Tribals do.

Modern civilian-grade guns are rare, and military-grade firearms are extremely valued. Most guns are primitive blackpowder firearms that were made after the freeze. I was going for a slightly grim tone, with a horror/survival game style, possibly with light intrigue between factions. Combat will be fast and lethal, and most situations can be avoided with the right word at the right time.

>>50609524

Nice, I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks.

>>50609543

I don't know, come up with a location, NPC, faction, pseudo-realistic monster, or anything really. This is all I've got so far.

I appreciate the help guys.
>>
>>50612524
Have you established the reason behind Earth's apparent freezing-over? Especially over such a brief period of time?

It's been one of the points I've debated with myself and friends over how such terrible freezing could possibly "surprise" humanity, sowing chaos instead of slow-paced migration to the equator.
>>
>>50612524
>greenhouse
>electricity
nigga its a glass house, thats it.
>>
>>50614152

I've got two rough concepts: A failed secret government experiment, or certain kinds of atmospheric pollution turning out to have a rapid cooling effect. I'm open to suggestions.

>>50617792

To ensure that the greenhouses properly heated around the clock, electrical heating systems are necessary.
>>
Add a cult that prophesizes the return of the Great Heat, the Worldflame, the Global Warming.
>>
>>50619675
> electrical heating systems
Bullshit, since electrical heating systems post-date greenhouses by several hundred years. Even commercially viable greenhouses predate electrical heating, although by considerably less time (~50 years, give or take), and the long gap between greenhouses as a toy for rich people and as a commercial moneymakers has more to do with advanced in glass making than in heating.

To be quite honest, the glass production is going to be a bigger problem than the heating, since you need very specific kinds of sand to make good glass, and without mechanized transportation its going to be hard to propagate to anywhere you cant sail.
>>
>>50619675

So how'd greenhouses work before electricity?
>>
So i don't really know much about greenhouses. But i was thinking about the setting and considering stuff and if the world was technologically advance before shit went cold I could definitely see a village of people clustered around some sort of heating machine that still works. Barely. They have to constantly scavenge the ruins for parts to repair it and those knowledgeable in its upkeep would be super important and probably high ranking in the village.
>>
>>50620070
>>50620233

OP here, I'm no botanist, but I'd say with the subarctic conditions, electrical heating systems would be critical to harvesting year round. I hadn't thought of the glass logistics, but I'd imagine that scavenging old glass from ruins would be pretty lucrative.

>>50619730

I like it, I like it a lot. I'm lost for a name, but I know they idolize fire and warmth, and that translates pretty seamlessly to a fire and brimstone cult. Instead of preaching eternal hellfire to those who don't follow the cult, they'd preach of eternal cold and darkness.

>>50621708

I also like this idea. Maybe instead of a small village, it's an entire township, run by a strict, borderline communist technocracy.
>>
>>50623185
You don't need electronics to run a decent hot water loop. Obviously you still need fuel, but a forest or old coal mine will do just fine.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.