[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mecha RPGs - /m/ in /tg/ again!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: 1480839003808.jpg (375KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1480839003808.jpg
375KB, 786x1017px
I've been refining my list of all English-language tabletop RPGs related to mecha anime. The list, plus more, can be found here:

tinyurl
(dot)
com
(slash)
allmecha

4chan thinks the link is spam, arrgh. I shake my fist! Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for the list, let's have 'em. And let's talk about giant robot gaming in general.
>>
So, I saw that last thread, Mektron Zeta had problems with Reflex being the god stat, but I know some people had some home rules for that, so how did those work?
>>
>>50607770

One thing that helped in my game was switching around how Mecha Reflex worked.

Normally, it's a penalty to all reflex rolls in a mecha.

IE, a Gundam has a MR of -3 while a Zaku II has a MR of -6.

That meant, that all things being equal, the gundam has basically, +3 vs a Zaku on everything, in addition to pilot skills disparity.

The Gundam RPG, Otoh, changed that the lesser of (10-MR) and your Reflex was your effective reflex piloting those mecha.

So you could dump reflex, then pilot a mech that didn't spend all it's points on being super nimble, but having lots of dakka instead.
>>
>>50607770

Adding an aim stat helps. But conceptually I don't see all that much more that would actually matter for mech piloting than your reflexes. BOD will help you take things like electric shocks better, INT helps you with ECM attacks, PSI can be added to give you psychic abilities that will probably make you better than a high ref character, and the other stats will matter allot for when you are outside your mecha. Likewise if the PCS have to build/maintain their own mecha, then the person with high TECH may end up being the most powerful.

Also, your skills are what will really make your character godlike. A character who takes a large life path and has a 5 in REF, but has 10 years worth of Mecha Pilotting, is going to wreck someone who is an amateur in the skill and has a 10 ref, since one stat point has as big of affect on your roll as 1 level in a skill does.
>>
>>50608490
>>50608598

Interesting. I'm still going through all the rules right now. Ran some character creation rolls through the lifepath system, and the results were funny.

One had parents die in an accident, had 7 siblings with 3 older brothers, 2 younger brothers, and 2 older sisters. Only one younger brother likes the character; the rest at best are neutral and at worst hate the character. Grew up with 2 female childhood friends and a bro who is a mentor figure.

Another one was a gay pilot who's sneaky and deceptive, thinks his partner's cheating on him, and already broke up with someone else...but has siblings that think of him as a hero.
>>
File: mekton_scenes.jpg (311KB, 800x789px) Image search: [Google]
mekton_scenes.jpg
311KB, 800x789px
>>50608689

Yeah, the Lifepath is a thing of beauty. Mekton and Cyberpunk both use that device to great effect. I have no idea of RTG was the first company to come up with a "roll-your-backstory" system, but it was certainly the first time I ever encountered it. Mekton's rules for roleplaying mecha tech and mecha design are great too, especially the Parts Unknown table. Such a hoot!
>>
File: Fuzion_cover.jpg (10KB, 171x216px) Image search: [Google]
Fuzion_cover.jpg
10KB, 171x216px
>>50607770
Mekton's stats are:

ATTRactiveness
BODy type
COOL
EMPathy
INTelligence
LUCK
MOVEment allowance
REFlexes
TECHnical ability

Fuzion's stats are:
INTelligence
WILLpower
PREsence
TECHnique
REFlexes
DEXterity
CONstitution
STRength
BODy
MOVEment

My "Ideal" Mekton Stats are:

INTelligence
COOLness
PREsensce
REFlexes
DEXterity
TECHnique
STRength
CONstitution
LUCK

Attractiveness is kinda a waste. I see it as more of a concept and roleplaying element than a needed Stat. Besides, Presence takes care of that fairly well anyhow.

Movement is a total waste. In more than 25 years of playing RTG's games, I have virtually never seen anyone use that stat. In the race case of a foot race or chase, just compare Athletics skill rolls.

Then we look at changing from Mekton's "REFlexes as god-stat" to a more spread-out use of Fuzion-ish stats:

I'd use REFlexes for initiative and dodging, DEXterity for shooting and hitting. Basically, DEX is the offensive combat stat, REFlexes is the defensive combat stat. I might also use TECH for targeting missiles and other highly-sophisticated weapons and systems.

When playing Mekton, Cyberpunk, Fuzion, whatever, it's important to remember that a Skill can be added to different Stats depending on the situation. Racing in a 100m dash? REFlexes + Athletics + 1D10. Racing in a marathon? CONstituion + Athletics + 1D10.
>>
>>50610052
>My "Ideal" Mekton Stats are:

To clarify: you'd basically have Stats in paired sets, with a generally-active and generally-responsive Stat in each set.

TECHnique & INTelligence
PREsensce & COOLness
DEXterity & REFlexes
STRength & CONstitution
and LUCK, because that's an "x-factor."
>>
File: mekton_scale.jpg (1012KB, 5000x1375px) Image search: [Google]
mekton_scale.jpg
1012KB, 5000x1375px
>>50610052
>I'd use REFlexes for initiative and dodging, DEXterity for shooting and hitting. Basically, DEX is the offensive combat stat, REFlexes is the defensive combat stat. I might also use TECH for targeting missiles and other highly-sophisticated weapons and systems.

Naturally, Maneuver Value would affect all these stats in mecha combat. So when piloting a Mek with, say, an MV of -4, a pilot with a REF of 9 and a DEX of 8 would have a Mecha Reflex of 5 and a "Mecha Dex" of 4.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.