[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 26

File: HJ2vzem.jpg (354KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
HJ2vzem.jpg
354KB, 2560x1440px
What'd be a good system for running an Avatar: TLA/LoK campaign? At the moment my best idea is Mutants & Masterminds 3e, but I'm sure there must be a better system for it.

Only other one I've considered is FATE, which I don't like very much. Any good suggestions?

inb4 GURPS

I'll dump some Avatar & eastern-ish character art in the meantime.
>>
File: 6 - oSNztBb.jpg (249KB, 600x705px) Image search: [Google]
6 - oSNztBb.jpg
249KB, 600x705px
>>50604511
>>
File: 7Ta6ZKh.jpg (233KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
7Ta6ZKh.jpg
233KB, 1152x648px
>>50604523
>>
>>50604548
>>
File: XWzwhpf.jpg (154KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
XWzwhpf.jpg
154KB, 1600x900px
>>50604567
>>
File: xk8eSa0.jpg (264KB, 1280x1720px) Image search: [Google]
xk8eSa0.jpg
264KB, 1280x1720px
>>50604608
>>
File: vUNDZlu.jpg (406KB, 2000x1284px) Image search: [Google]
vUNDZlu.jpg
406KB, 2000x1284px
>>50604656
>>
File: 1382690640085.jpg (74KB, 513x875px) Image search: [Google]
1382690640085.jpg
74KB, 513x875px
>>50604716
>>
File: 1382460572303.jpg (124KB, 962x574px) Image search: [Google]
1382460572303.jpg
124KB, 962x574px
>>50604744
>>
File: 1382684394812.jpg (279KB, 408x784px) Image search: [Google]
1382684394812.jpg
279KB, 408x784px
>>50604776
>>
File: 1379721229326.png (829KB, 1036x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1379721229326.png
829KB, 1036x1280px
>>50604804
>>
There's an Apocalypse Engine system that's supposed to work pretty well.
>>
File: 1369307223033.jpg (196KB, 600x825px) Image search: [Google]
1369307223033.jpg
196KB, 600x825px
>>50604830

>>50604979
Can't say I've heard of that, I'll give it a look.
>>
Legends of the Wulin. It's the best system for high action martial arts I have ever played. It's kinda crunchy and the rule book editing is awful, but when you get the thing running it's fucking fantastic.

It also has elemental martial arts out of the box, which is a plus. It'll require minor tweaking since it uses the Chinese five elements, but still it's not hard to adjust.
>>
File: 1368434697992.jpg (55KB, 511x768px) Image search: [Google]
1368434697992.jpg
55KB, 511x768px
>>50605010

>>50605019
That sounds good actually - always had a preference towards crunchy systems, so I'll have to give that one a read through.
>>
File: HuMPMuV.jpg (339KB, 773x962px) Image search: [Google]
HuMPMuV.jpg
339KB, 773x962px
>>50605097
>>
>>50605010

I forget the name of it, Avatar World or somesuch. Threads about it used to pop up now and then back when /tg/ could still discuss Apocalypse World based games without shitposters spamming the threads.
>>
File: v04Z6Nx.png (168KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
v04Z6Nx.png
168KB, 800x600px
>>50605111
>50605111
Aaand I'm out of images. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>50605097

LotW is a bit unusual in terms of crunchy systems. Instead of focusing on granular detail, it builds off the themes and style of the genrej, letting your characters ideas, beliefs and relationships be just as important in combat as your martial arts skills. It marries somewhat narrativist (bad word but it'll do) with a depth of mechanics which I've honestly never seen before.

Although it is worth reiterating just how bad the core book editing is. Christ it's so fucking bad, it's an utter shame they released the book in that state, and then the company imploded so it'll never be updated.
>>
File: 1479582041637.jpg (25KB, 345x194px) Image search: [Google]
1479582041637.jpg
25KB, 345x194px
My group once was going to do an Avatar game using a simple homebrew I created for it.

When it came to sessions 0, they argued over who would get to be the Avatar for three hours, decided to do some other game instead, and went home.

My suggestion to you is bypass the three hours of arguing, and just do something else. leave the franchise where it is.
>>
>>50604511
This is actually one of the few times that I would strongly recommend FATE.
Normally FATE feels insubstantial and the mechanics or themes of any given setting would be better served by a system more tailored to it.
But in this case FATE is practically tailored to the Avatar setting. The system lets you get creative with what you can do with bending, keeps the combat flowing and organic, and the adventures lighthearted and semi-episodic. All stay true to the feeling of Avatar, and all are fairly unique to FATE

I ran an Avatar campaign in FATE and was really satisfied with it, way more than any other experience I've had with the system
>>
Pretty much most generic systems would work. Legends of the Wulin would work nicely as a previous anon stated.

I ran a LoK-age Avatar game, it was a resounding success; I used GURPS though and given the OP's comment I guess that's right out.

Fate could work, but I actually tried it for a short Avatar one-shot and didn't enjoy it much at all (this was after running Fate a few times before, too). Different strokes, and all that.
>>
>>50605417

FATE isn't a system, it's a gay storytelling exercise, like Fiasco.
>>
Always wanted to do a primarily lightning firebender. Something I always wished they mentioned is that the human brain is basically just chemically induced electricity.

A lightning bender could be a mentat if they had the drive to do so and were willing to risk accidentally frying their own mind. Given a couple of copper coils to work with they could bend magnetism as well.

Teslabenders: serious shit.
>>
>>50605285
It's literally as easy as setting the game during the hundred-year war where the Avatar was missing.
>>
Legends of the Wulin or file related
>>
>>50606981
>In the era of Raava,

It's shit.
>>
Has anyone ever considered trying to do a game set in the future or past of the universe? I've had a couple of ideas for future iterations of the setting that I thought could provide an interesting basis for a game.
>>
>>50606869
huh.. It's almost as if the Avatar setting is primarily based on the episodic resolution of simple character based stories and its wonderful aesthetics. Sure there are cool fight scenes but the best way to handle those is with similarly loose weave, but dramatic and illustrative, conflict resolution. Unless you want to get into a hyper complex unbearable slogfest in which every conceivable action has predefined circumstances, difficulties, and outcomes.

Turning Avatar into some abomination with damage tables would suffocate any semblance of fun the setting had.
Although you may be fine with that seeing how you already hate fun.
>>
>>50605127
I think another one is called 'Legends of the Elements'.
>>
I'm tempted to suggest the d20 Avatar RPG but I'm worried someone will take me seriously and play it.
>>
>>50607266

IMO Legends of the Wulin captures the best of both. I don't dislike FATE but I've always found it rather mechanically unsatisfying, and in a story where the fights are large part of the storytelling I'd want the combat itself to feel meaningful and interesting.
>>
>>50607266

>A FATEfag knows nothing of good systems so he cannot conceive of them

No surprise.
>>
>>50606981

This isn't the full PDF. Is it unfinished or is it some freebie version of a for-sale game?
>>
>>50606869
>a gay storytelling exercise
...you mean a roleplaying game?
>>
>>50609435

Shh! You'll chase him away from the hobby!

Wait, no, that's a good thing.
>>
>>50609435

No, because FATE is not a game. We've been over this. Try to keep up.
>>
>>50609457

FATE is a game and the arbitrary attempts to divide up the hobby down pointless lines is fucking stupid. I don't even like FATE, but this bollocks annoys the fuck out of me whenever it turns up.

They're all roleplaying games. They might go about it in different ways, but the similarities vastly outweigh the differences. Different subcategories? Sure, makes sense. Trying to argue they're an entirely different sort of thing? You're just being fucking stupid.
>>
>>50609491
>FATE is a game

We literally just discussed this.
>>
>>50604511
What about Dragon Blooded in Exalted?
>>
>>50609525
>>50609491
>>50609457
Anything is a game if you want it to be.

FATE however, takes a little more... effort, for that to happen.
>>
>>50609525

If you did, then you came to the wrong conclusion.

FATE is a fucking stupid example anyway. If you really want to try to target a storytelling game to say its different, I wouldn't point at the one which has a social bartering mechanic built into it from the core. The fate point economy, the flow of fate points between player and GM and the negotiation involved, is a game.
>>
>>50609588

Bartering in an explicitly meta fashion is not a game. It's as much a """"game"""" as trying to buy a used car is.
>>
>>50609623

Then you're operating on a ridiculously old fashioned definition of game. Social deduction and negotiation games like The Resistance and Secret Hitler are some of the most popular board games around.
>>
>>50609457
All you've done is claim that fate isn't a game without any supporting arguments.
>>
>>50609623
But used car buying IS a game.
Is the dating game not a game?
How about Minecraft?

FATE is a game. A game that people may feel free to HATE for its lack of substance.
>>
>>50609647

If you're going to bring the context of "game" to encompass "any vague activity at all," then I suppose you've redefined your way into victory. Congratulations.

At least you're not so far gone that you also realize FATE is absolutely terrible.
>>
>>50609667
>I suppose you've redefined your way into victory.
That's right I have fuckboy. Read the dictionary and play some charades, I've won this battle.

Now we can let the OP negotiate with his GM about whether FATE-induced urine counts for his waterbending keyword.
>>
>>50609667
Hi Virt! Decided to shit up another thread? Ran out of troll posts to put on your blog?
>>
>>50609710

t. triggered FATEcuck

Learn an actual game sometimes fampai, it'll do you some good.
>>
>>50609710

Man, that bullshit is older than Virt. The RPGPundit has been doing it for years with his crusade against the storygamer 'swine'. It's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>50609721

>Cuck

I do love that word. Whenever someone uses it it's a sign I can safely discard their opinion and ignore anything they say in future. It's such a useful signal to be aware of.
>>
>>50609722
Oh god I had forgotten about that swine bullshit.
>>
>>50609729
>FATE players

Speaking of signs that let you safely discard someone's opinions...
>>
>>50609731
>>50609722
Oooh can we hear a story about the schweinmensch?
>>
>>50609721
>Virt switches to /pol/ words
Ooh, that's good Virt! You're really bringing on the heat! I'm sure your fan will love these screencaps!
>>
>>50609731

The thing I always find funny? At no stage in the whole thing has anyone ever made a real point as to why making the distinction is in any way useful or beneficial to anyone. They will argue for it and justify it in so many ways, but they can never give you a solid reason as to why it has any benefit beyond appeasing their own personal vendetta.
>>
>>50609457
You have clearly never played fate. It's one of the most gamist systems there is. Just cause the people who sell it focus on it's narrative aspects, doesn't change the fact that it's all about rolling high to do what you want.
>>
>>50609744

Nope. I'm one of the people who posted earlier saying that they don't like FATE. I don't hate it, but it's not my preferred sort of system. But, see, I can acknowledge that a system outside my preferences is well designed for what it does and has appeal to those who are into that sort of thing. It's part of being a rational human being.
>>
>>50609768
>doesn't change the fact that it's all about rolling high to do what you want.

>Implying "wanting to roll well" is a """gamist""" feature

Thank you for continuing to prove how utterly useless GNS theory is to the lingo of this hobby.
>>
>>50609785
>>50609623

My fucking god, these extended quotation marks are the most obnoxious thing. Why the fuck am I seeing them more and more often?
>>
>>50609782

Well you're continuing to call FATE a game system, much less one that's well designed, so rationality is clearly beyond you.
>>
>>50609802

Two possible reasons. One, it's because they can use it to be as obnoxious as possible; two, they have no actual argument, focus on a single word presented -- in that anon's case, 'gamist' and extend it outward so it draws your attention more than to their argument.

Or, again in this case, utter lack of one.
>>
>>50609809

Then please, enlighten us.

State your argument from base principles, using specific language and explaining any terminology you bring in to support your point. If you really are so obviously and implicitly correct, it should be effortless for you to construct such an argument, I'm quite sure.
>>
>>50609802
>>50609822
It's an emphatic addition technique, many times used to convey forceful incredulity.

However, it mostly looks like you've facerolled the keyboard in anger.

But I see the shitposting has begun in earnest now. I hope you got what you came for OP, because we'll be off to page ten.
>>
>>50609809
Damn, Virt! You really told them!

This is gonna be great for your blog, I'm sure of it! You'll get two, maybe three likes! Maybe from other people!!!
>>
>>50609785
But that is...

It isn't Narrative, as the outcome has to do with randomization, not what works well for the story, or, the Rule of Drama

It isn't Simulationist, as having a high stat helps, but is in the moment unnecessary, and thus ignores the Rule of Karma.

It's Gamist, as it only applies in the context of the rules of the game, and follows the Rule of Chance.
>>
>>50609828

Well, games have rules for one, rather than "Players, make up a Thing, and if a situation comes up where that Thing """"""""Sounds Right""""""""" to the GM and you spend a benny, you get a bonus." It is quite literally a half-step away from cops and robbers, with only some immersion-shattering bartering meta token economy keeping it from going full Bang I Hit You, Nuh Uh I Invoke Armor of Invincibility.
>>
>>50609828
Dude, he's clearly a troll. Stop feeding him.
>>
>>50609855

Except what you described is, by every practical definition, a rule. Congratulations on defeating your own argument.
>>
>>50609809

It's okay to not like a system but realize it is not only a system, but well-designed for its intended purpose.

Just because it does something different than norm. for the genre doesn't make it any less of a game. Hell you'd have a better time arguing Maid RPG isn't an rpg than FATE isn't an rpg.

It's pointless semantic bullshit, because they're both TTRPGs, even if they focus pretty soley on one core aspect of the genre -- storytelling.
>>
>>50609851
>>50609785
Is there some intellectualized jargon 'theory' running around for RPGs?
>>
>>50609855
Wow, Virt! That's your best argument yet! You totally told these people whatever thing you were trying to tell them, probably....

Yeah!!! Call them a Cuck again, too!!!
>>
>>50609860

It's 8AM and I haven't slept, I'm just kinda enjoying poking the idiot and hearing the dumb shit that falls out of his mouth.
>>
>>50609870

The """"""""rules"""""""""" of FATE are more readily described as mutual masturbation than anything concrete or world-defining.
>>
>>50609844

Or in other words, the utter lack of an argument to convince the other party that your argument is, in fact, correct and not just you disliking the system, therefore this system is not a game bullshit.
>>
>>50609875

Yes. Google GNS theory.

It is, in brief, the stupidest shit ever written as related to this hobby, and it is often parroted by pseudo-intellectual armchair developers who utterly lack any meaningful lingo through which to express themselves. Dice rolling = gamist, appealing to FATEfags = narrativist, and managing any consistency in your game's world at all = simulationist. It is exactly as stupid and useless for discussion as it sounds.
>>
>>50609875
GNS is the theory that Roleplaying games can be built around Gamist, Narrativist, or Simulationist play.

Gamist games are primarily built around balance and deep mechanical play. Having good and developed mechanics. D&D 3rd+ basically fell under this category.

Narrativist games are built around forming a story, and tend to be mechanically built around facilitating that. Games like Nobilis and Apocalypse World would fall under this.

Simulationist games forgo balance for some sense of realism or simulationism, trying to portray a fictional world as real through game mechanics and GM adjudication. Older D&D usually falls under this category.

Mostly falls apart because every game has a different degree of focus on these three elements. None really sacrifice any of them completely. Except maybe FATAL
>>
>>50609875
GNS stands for Gamist, Narrative, and Simulationist. Some people really hate the idea, because the guy who came up with it kinda sold it as you have to be one, but if you think of it as a triangle it actually works fine for describing things.

Since he didn't like them, I also added in a particular games conceptual rules for roleplaying.
>>
>>50609882

You said it didn't have rules, and then described a rule. Do you have any actual counter to this, or are you just going to completely retreat into buzzwords and insults?

In very broad general terms, the format 'If x, then y' is a rule. 'If an Aspect is appropriate to the situation, you may spend a Fate point for a reroll or a +2 bonus' is as much a rule as 'If an enemy leaves a threatened square, you may make an Opportunity Attack against them.'

I challenge you to find a definition of 'Rule' that includes the latter but excludes the former. Seriously. I want to see you try.
>>
>>50609882
Damn, Virt! Those repetitive quotes are """""""""""""""""demolishing""""""""""""""""" arguments left and right! Man, your blog is gonna be so popular, and people are gonna totally love and date you now!
>>
>>50609903
Oh man, these pretentious term fetishes are getting more popular these days. It's like people are actively trying to make buzzwords.

>>50609905
>>50609906
Pretty silly. All RPGs are running a simulation with more or less detail. They also all seem to use gameplay elements to help do that, while running a story element for player interest.

Honestly sounds like the whole "earth and air are different elements" ancient shit, created because they had no idea what atoms were or how oxide minerals worked.
>>
>>50609936

Even then, some ancients had a close-on hold onto the idea, but a majority weren't too willing to change from 'different elements' or 'the gods did it.'
>>
>all this arguing, yet nobody in the thread even likes Fate
Fucking lmao. /tg/ cracks me up sometimes. As you were, gents.
>>
>>50609936

Well, I wouldn't say that's exactly true, although it's also a place where the GNS terminology falls through.

A lot of more 'narrative' games operate on genre simulation over 'reality' simulation. Instead of trying to represent the laws and functions of a real world, they create a set of mechanics and principles that recreate the atmosphere and feeling of a particular genre.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Legends of the Wulin is an example of a crunchy genre simulation game, where it has in depth mechanics which pay the barest lip service to 'realism', and instead almost entirely derives themselves from the tropes and themes of Wuxia fiction.
>>
>>50609871
>It's pointless semantic bullshit, because they're both TTRPGs, even if they focus pretty soley on one core aspect of the genre -- storytelling.

As is typical for the FATEfag apologists, you sound more like a dropout from a creative writing class than any avid p&p hobbyist.

No, the core aspect of p&p is not "storytelling," it is "decision making." At its core, p&p games are just abstract hypothetical scenarios where the question is "what would you do if [x]".

"""""""""""""""""Storytelling""""""""""""""""" is a misnomer to begin with, since the crux of p&p gaming is that no participant at the table is certain which way the game will go. An ongoing narrative is formed through the decisions of the PCs and counterbalancing reactions of the gameworld, true, but that is quite different from implying that the purpose of the game to begin with is to sit down and read people bad fanfiction.

This is, among other reasons, part of why FATE fails so miserably at being a game to begin with; from the word go, it has completely misunderstood the basis of p&p gaming. This is why it is simply a stupid faggy storytelling exercise, and not a game, akin to Fiasco.
>>
>>50609936
Personally, I like to think that every roleplaying game is built on four things:

The game: the core mechanics that underlie everything.

The group: the people you're playing with, and how they facilitate your ability to play.

The metaphor: the setting you're playing in... which can fundamentally use the same game yet feel completely different to the player.

The narrative: the story and world you're playing in. I don't consider the narrative and simulation as separate, so I think of them as both part of this category.
>>
>>50609960
Fuck, Virt! That was brutal!!! Did you see how many quotes you put around Storytelling?! That's ridiculous!!!

Man, I bet these people are super depressed that they're taking on a troll-extraordinaire! They'd better flee back to their lives and friends... cuz real men don't need'em!!!

The cucks!
>>
>>50609960

So now I'm a fatefag, despite not particularly liking or disliking any aspects of it, purely by virtue of arguing against your idiotic and moronic point. As another anon noted, the game has rules for social bartering, achieving an objective by rolling for it or flubbing your objective through bad rolls.

Tell me exactly how a game cannot be a game with rules as such. Please enlighten me as to your definition of what a game is, what those rules would entail and elaborate thusly, so I can understand your knotted thoughts as more than ramblings of a 'it's not a game!' fag.
>>
>>50609988
>So now I'm a fatefag

More accurately, a FATEfag apologist. I understand reading is not your strong suit, as otherwise you would have already come to understand what a terrible non-game FATE is, but at the very least I should expect you to make it seven words into a post before switching your brain off.
>>
>>50609957
Well all simulations are always of the game world itself. The physics are defined by the setting.

And even if a game has rules for lifting and pushing rocks a certain distance, it's always up to the GM and players whether to use them or not.
An RPG book is like a toolbox. I tend to find that the best ones are the ones which provide the most tools.
So I mean, that nullifies the whole "theory". I can play D&D casual or I can play it crunchy.
>>
>>50609667

Alright: Which aspects make it not a game?
>>
>>50610005
Aww shit, Virt really dropping the mic now! He said "apologist"! And "fag"! Again!!! That's brutal!

Damn, how are they still posting after your relentless assault?!
>>
File: daiyousei nervous_1.jpg (93KB, 350x349px) Image search: [Google]
daiyousei nervous_1.jpg
93KB, 350x349px
>>50609985
>>50609932
>>50609876
>>50609848
>>50609760
>>50609710

So this is what obsession looks like.
>>
Come on troll, let's hear something more from you. Replying to >>50609915 would be a good place to start.

Or are you just going to keep cherrypicking who you reply to to try and keep up the masquerade a little longer?
>>
>>50610032
It's a classic example of trolls trolling trolls.

4chan never changes. You should have seen the edition wars.
>>
File: 1241314932904.png (6KB, 214x284px) Image search: [Google]
1241314932904.png
6KB, 214x284px
>>50609954

I fucking know, right?

Literally no one here is even disputing how shitty FATE is.
>>
>>50610032
What's the matter, Virt? Don't you like recognition for your """"""""""""""""""""""""""""awesome trolling skillz""""""""""""""""""""""""""""?
>>
File: yuyuko nervous_1.png (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
yuyuko nervous_1.png
20KB, 400x400px
>>50610045

Are you okay?
>>
every single person in this thread is autistic and should commit suicide immediately
>>
>>50610043

Except all the people saying they respect it as a competent system even if it's outside their preferences?
>>
>>50610005

And yet you continue being unable to explain, exactly, how a game is not a game with rules -- ostensibly a thing FATE has, in fact, as you do roll for success or failure of certain actions within the game.

Fiasco is a game where no matter what, as long as you tell your story well, you're doing well; you can fail, as it is competitive, but by and large it has no stat systems or rolls.

Fate does. You can objectively fail by rolling badly at an action you attempt to do; by increasing the skill up to a certain level, you have a higher chance at achieving the elusive goal next time.

Explain again how FATE is not a game exactly. Elaborate, instead of ramble on about apologia and other inane bullshit.
>>
>>50610054
I'm just such a huge fan, Virt! I bet your troll skills get all the lady!!!
>>
>>50610067
>>50610063
>>50610057
you're all autistic, kill yourselves
>>
>>50609960
>No, the core aspect of p&p is not "storytelling," it is "decision making." At its core, p&p games are just abstract hypothetical scenarios where the question is "what would you do if [x]".
You're begging the question here by framing those as mutually exclusive and as conclusions in themselves, but we can address that by pulling this thread more.
If that's the axiomatic bit of all RPGs, why and to what end?

>This is, among other reasons, part of why FATE fails so miserably at being a game to begin with; from the word go, it has completely misunderstood the basis of p&p gaming.
Now you're tacitly contradicting yourself. None of Fate's mechanics or assumptions preclude decision making any more than the use of dice or progression mechanics in any form.
>>
>>50610070
>>50610056

Nah, I'll continue to shitpost on the internet and be vaguely amused. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
>>50610071
>>50610076
you're both autistic, kill yourselves
>>
>>50610037

I mean, if you're going to compare the rules defining a class, its capabilities and how it may interact with the world, such as what one may find in Pathfinder, and equate it to "Uhh make something up and Invoke it lmfao," then we are very clearly bending the word "rule" even further than I was bending your mother over the other night.
>>
>>50610070
YO, DUDES. Who the FUCK is "Virt"?
>>
>>50610070
Yes! The finishing blow!!! Damn, Virt does it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGgpuEF7bmw
>>
>>50610070

I would, but then I'd be unable to laugh as you remain unable to explain your position, and continue flailing around, throwing buzzwords and insults to avoid arguing your point competently.

Please continue.
>>
>>50610080
What, is discussion not allowed on this discussion board?
I'm pretty sure you're the autist, here.
>>
>>50610089
Virtualoptim. You can actually Google his troll ass. He's got a blog and Youtube channel for his anti-dungeon-world rap.
>>
>>50610089

Hi Virt! Pretending you don't know who you are again I see, huh? Maybe you should update your blog after you fool some newfags into thinking you don't take the form of every person whose opinion I disagree with, haha!
>>
>>50610086

Both are rules. Unless you can provide a definition showing one is while another is not, proving your original point. Anything else is irrelevant.
>>
>>50610086

I suppose then, all class-less systems are no longer games, even when they have rules defining skills, being good at those skills in order to get a higher roll attempting the action and hoping to succeed.
>>
And now we watch the total breakdown of the troll's psyche, as he is incapable of processing things. His own sockpuppets turn against each other, he freaks and has a breakdown.

We now know his weakness. He panics when he sees a fan.
>>
>>50610107
>>50610113
>>50610114
you're all autistic
kill yourselves
>>
>>50610100
I'm not EVEN him. Or her. Does they like lesbians? Who knows?

>>50610099
>dungeon-world
Isn't that just kind of a generic low popularity D&D-style thing? How does one get a reputation for hating it?
>>
>>50610107
>Both are rules.

In the same way black holes are ink because both can be described with the color "black," sure.
>>
>>50610121

Sure, person who is endlessly repeating the same phrase to try and stop other people doing something they don't like. Everyone else is autistic. That makes perfect sense.
>>
>>50610128
>Everyone else is autistic. That makes perfect sense.
Are you implying it's not a game?
>>
>>50610124

So provide a definition to support your point.
>>
>>50610122
>How does one get a reputation for hating it?
By autistically trolling every single thread that even mentions it, to the point of infamy.

Shit you not, even bringing it up used to cause him to start dropping memes every chance he could. It's pretty crazy.

You can spot his posting style. No real arguments against a game, he just speaks about how terrible it is in the most shallow terms. No real depth.
>>
Today, nobody won. We all lost.
>>
>>50610122
>>50610124
>>50610128
>>50610136
>>50610142
>>50610144
you're all pathetic autists
maybe you should take a step back and look at what you degenerated this thread into
then you should kill yourselves
>>
>>50610122

It's a bit of a freeform storytelling type of thing where the GM can be as brutal as he wants depending on the style of game you wanna run.

I've seen groups play it pretty freeform, but it has rules and rolls defining what your typical class is, backgrounds and rolls for bonuses and the like. Fairly low skill ceiling, but heavy chance of failure and death all the same.

It's generic in the way that it's like GURPs, I suppose; it's meant to be a system centered around 'freedom' in that the setting is just dressing you can replace at your whim. Higher than 10 usually means you did the action you wanted excellently, lower than that and the GM can punish you as he sees fit, with minor or major inconveniences, etc.
>>
>>50610149

Fuck that. I've been steadily amused throughout.
>>
>>50610144
>he just speaks about how terrible it is
But does he like Kingdom Death: Monster?

That's a good test.

>>50610149
We've been on our way to page 10 for a long time now.
>>
>>50610150

Man, you need to lighten the fuck up. This shit was hilarious.
>>
>>50610122
>How does one get a reputation for hating it?
More or less what >>50610144 said. Constant shitposting, along with a penchant for backbreaking mental gymnastics. They flip-flopped between loving and hating every system under the sun, outside of Dungeon World and D&D 5e.
>>
>>50610161
He's talented at pretending to be someone else by trolling things he likes. He has a pretty good troll rant against Savage Worlds, despite talking about its virtues in other posts.

Pay attention to the substance. He has no real argument against anything. Always emotional. Doesn't feel like x, doesn't immerse you in y.
>>
>>50610151
>>50610153
>>50610161
>>50610166
>>50610169
you're all autistic, kill yourselves
>>
>>50610151
>Fairly low skill ceiling
But I mean, does it even have a general here?

That would be like running off about hating Monsterhearts or various shoujo games.

I'd just find that amusing rather than debating the guy much.
>>
>>50610166
That's Virt having an autism fit. He didn't know how to handle the fan tactic, so he's retreated back to introversion. So he'll keep repeating the "kill yourself" thing ad nauseum.

We can now resume having a conversation.
>>
>>50610180

>explaining how a tt game works
>autism

No, anon, you are the autist.

>>50610187
Not really. I've seen few Dungeon World generals here, though there might be a few every blue moon or something, I dunno. I only see it discussed in the occasional thread.
>>
>>50610187
>But I mean, does it even have a general here?
It used to, but he destroyed them. He had a particular distaste for that game and anyone who liked it in the slightest.

I think he's shifted targets to FATE, since the former is largely gone from this place. Can't be a proper troll without prey, right?
>>
>>50610187
>>50610188
>>50610205
>>50610217
let this shameful fucking thread die already and kill yourselves
>>
>>50610217
>It used to, but he destroyed them.
Must have been recent. The old /tg/ mods would have guillotined him publicly.
>>
>>50610224

You're on 4chan. If you think this is shameful then you are so amazingly ignorant I don't even know where to begin.
>>
>>50610224

But I enjoy this thread. Why would I let it die when it's such an enjoyable experience.
>>
>>50610235
>>50610232
>>50610231
Old /tg/ mods would have got that guy, too.

To be honest, it's better without them. I find the raving 'autism fetish' guy amusing.
>>
>>50610019
>aspects
So are you going to invoke for a +2, or reroll?
>>
>>50610231
>Must have been recent. The old /tg/ mods would have guillotined him publicly.
About a year before MooTwo took over is when I saw his posts myself. He's gotten several permabans (he posts them up like trophies), but he keeps coming back.
>>
>>50610231
>>50610232
>>50610235
>>50610250
>>50610251
>>50610255
kill yourselves
>>
Man, you don't even know what a real troll looks like. Who here was around for the Jim Profit days? That shit eating namefag got so fucking infamous he could destroy threads by making a single inoffensive post. There's a reason him getting banned is one of the highest rated threads on the /tg/ archive.
>>
>>50610258

You want this thread to die, right? Then why do you keep providing such entertainment and, more importantly, bumps?

Me thinks the autist doth protest too much.
>>
>>50610250
>I find the raving 'autism fetish' guy amusing.
I think that's Virt having a temper tantrum. He didn't like the fanboy thing very much.
>>
>>50610255
>>50610258
I believe it's healthy for 4chan to have a few trolls. Gets new kids properly accustomed to the internet. Trains people to spot bait before getting snagged. Spurs laughter and creativity in the darkest of times.
>>
>>50610258
Please answer my question: are you invoking for a +2, or for a reroll?
>>
File: IMG_0974.jpg (602KB, 1100x803px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0974.jpg
602KB, 1100x803px
>>50604511
We'll shit this is fucking mess, hay OP I've got alll the Avatar World .pdfs from the version before it was taken offline to be sold.

I'm out all day so just keep the thread breathing and I'll post them later.
>>
>>50607080

On the subject of getting the game back on track, I may as well ramble about one or both of these.

My first idea was set in the era of the Avatar after Korra. With rapid urbanisation and population expansion thanks to the new technologies available, the traditional methods for finding the Avatar simply failed.

Those seeking them were massively understaffed, especially given the size of the Earth Nation, and relied too much on official records when in the wake of the many wars and minor conflicts entire populations had fallen through the gaps and been forgotten.

A world where the Avatar exists, somewhere, but was never found or formally trained, and never came forward or made contact of their own accord. I thought it'd be an interesting setup, messing with the status quo as well as letting the PC's take a significant place in the world.
>>
>>50610396
Alternately, just say that the events of Korra were enough to permanently end the cycle of the Avatars, and now the realm of the spirit world is held in metastability with reality either through tech or simply the final events of the series.
>>
>>50610417

Eh, I feel like removing the most distinctive part of the setting would be a bad idea.

I also thought the people responsible for finding them literally losing the avatar also helped underline the themes I was going for. An age of monolithic, traditional organisations struggling to cope with a huge, interconnected world that is getting away from them, the old struggling to adapt to the new. Without some grand crisis to oppose, people falling to petty squabbles, and those who would once keep them controlled no longer sure how to operate in a world of such rapid change.

Then again, it's pretty grounded compared to my second idea- Avatar in Spaaaaaaaaaaace.
>>
>>50610396

It'd certainly work. For all anyone knows, the tea shop owner could be the Avatar, but it's had no great need of one that their powers had awoken or, at least if they had, they're unawares. Methodology of finding the Avatar seems pretty much to rely purely upon guesswork and power exhibition, like how little Korra showed control over multiple elements at a young age, or spiritual work like with Aang and such.

Overtime, the methodology simply broke down because the world had less and less need for the Avatar and rather than be extinquished through a death in the Avatar state, the need was simply not there anymore.

I like it. Especially since any old bender can be the next Avatar, pretty much, the only thing that really can be known is 'what natural affinity did the previous avatar have/what nation did they hail from.'
>>
>>50610432
Then cut out the "permanent" aspect. Make it so that the original cycle is dead, and the players can either find a way to start a new cycle, or do something else. Maybe they create an artificial avatar, or something else entirely.

To go with previous discussions of game system, Legend of the Elements is the Apocalypse world hack. It's actually pretty nice. You can find older pre-release versions of the game on the net.
>>
>>50610432

Because I'm bored and kinda curious what people will make of it, I present for your consideration- Avatar: The First Voidbender.

Set in a far-ish future of the Avatar setting, where they've left the planet and started to explore and colonize the space around their world. However, leaving the atmosphere resulted in the shocking discovery of the fifth element- Void. A strange and confusing energy of both nothingness and the potential to come into being, careless Bending amidst the Void Colonies resulted in numerous disasters and tragedies as Benders channelled Void energy, warping their Bending in ways they could not understand or control, earning the people of the Void Colonies a bad reputation amongst their terrestrial kin.

A focal point in history comes at the first Avatar born in the Void, disrupting the usual cycle and forcing traditionalists to acknowledge Void as having its place among the other elements. However, there is nobody to teach the new Avatar, no masters of Voidbending to learn from- They must discover its secrets themselves, as well as dealing with strange and incomprehensible Spirits of the Void along with the politics of power between the nascent Void Colonies and the four traditional nations trying to retain power and control over them.

Although with all that, it's mostly an excuse for martial arts fights in space with lots of weird gadgets and shit available.
>>
Strike! has an Avatar-lite mini setting thing.

That probably only covers the cool fights though.
>>
File: cJjqE2Q.gif (1MB, 240x245px) Image search: [Google]
cJjqE2Q.gif
1MB, 240x245px
OP here
what the fuck happened

>>50610353
That would be much appreciated!

>>50607080
That's what I was going to run actually: either a pre-Yangchen one that can basically be summed up as Dynasty Warriors: Avatar Edition (where one of the players could be the Avatar), or a Post-Korra search for a new avatar campaign (with a Red Lotus splinter group having already found and indoctrinated the new Avatar as the BBEG). Personally prefer the idea of the former.

>>50610668
That could be pretty intersting, though it could be a bit gimicky, especially since the spiritual side of Avatar doesn't seem like it'd mix well with more scifi aspects.
>>
>>50611223

Small suggestion, don't make one of the players the Avatar, or a DMPC. Perhaps an amalgamation of the two ideas, where the Avatar is a dude [or lady, whatever,] on the opposing side of the PCs, or an entity they have to search for before Yangchen ever became really known.
>>
File: Fc5Gx5V.jpg (279KB, 1600x699px) Image search: [Google]
Fc5Gx5V.jpg
279KB, 1600x699px
>>50611263
It'd depend which group of my players I ran it with, really, since all four have shown some degree of interest. Two of them would definately be a no on letting any be the Avatar for the obvious reasons, one I'm not sure of, and one I'm actually pretty confident they'd be able to handle having one player have slightly more natural "spotlight" since that's been the case in two previous campaigns without issue.
>>
>>50605019
>It also has elemental martial arts out of the box
They're a bit nastier in effect than we usually see bender fights being, short of Aang getting electrocuted.

Rage Of The Dragon Kings (water manipulation, easily refluffed to other elements) is a better foundation for standard attack / defence, though you would have to hb the more defensive moves with it.

Then your elemental internal styles are free to remain the advanced / oddball things like blood, explosions, etc.
>>
>>50604979
>>50605127
>>50607430
Legend of the Elements is a later version of Avatar World. Avatar World was the beta test essentially.

I've ran some games in Legend of the Elements if you have any questions about it.
>>
File: EPrOwbt.png (2MB, 1500x719px) Image search: [Google]
EPrOwbt.png
2MB, 1500x719px
>>50611661
If you're offering;
Apocalypse World is the 2D6 roll-over system, right?
How fast does combat run in it?
Is there still room to play as none-benders effectively?
Does it work better with combat maps or with theatre of the mind?
I'd ask if it's fun, but if you've run multiple games with it I'd assume so.
>>
>>50604511
3.P. Use different classes to represent different bending styles, ban any casting class with 7th to 9ths and use decent judgement on what would fit into the setting and era of your campaign, as well as working with players on class and spell choices to ensure that they likewise fall in with the thematics.

Put spells on Recharge Magic so that you're not dealing with Vancian casting. Consider giving bender-type folks 20 point buy and non-benders 30 point buy to start off.

Alternatively, Valor RPG.
>>
>>50611731
>Apocalypse World is the 2D6 roll-over system, right?
yep, 2d6+stat, 6 or less is a fail, 7-9 is a partial success, 10+ is a success
>How fast does combat run in it?
Depends largely on the players, enemies and situation, player character can basically one-shot mooks with a clean hit, how long combat takes is therefore generally determined by how difficult it is to get a clean hit.
>Is there still room to play as none-benders effectively?
In out of combat skills definitely, so far none of my players have gone for a combat-focused non-bender but looking at the classes they should be just fine
>Does it work better with combat maps or with theatre of the mind?
Like all AW based games it runs in theatre of the mind
>>
File: 0oO2Z08.png (2MB, 1500x719px) Image search: [Google]
0oO2Z08.png
2MB, 1500x719px
>>50611880
>Pathfinder
Not exactly my cup of tea even for running high fantasy games, and I somewhat doubt it'd work for something like Avatar.
>Valour
Never heard of this, I'll add it to the "check out" list.

>>50611930
Right, yeah, I've actually played a simple version of AW before now that I think about it and it went pretty well. That's definately one for consideration then, thanks.
>>
File: FI-kagaku-railgun-ill.jpg (133KB, 700x433px) Image search: [Google]
FI-kagaku-railgun-ill.jpg
133KB, 700x433px
>>50612014
www. drivethrurpg.com/product/147938/ Valor-The-Heroic-Roleplay-System

Formerly "The Heroic Anime Role Playing Game."
>>
>>50609526
Their book isn't out yet, and previous editions are broken pieces of shit.
>>
>>50611452
>They're a bit nastier in effect than we usually see bender fights being
To be fair, Avatar is a kid's show, so they do tone the violence down quite a bit.
>>
>>50609880
But anon, you're one of the ones posting dumb shit
Thread posts: 171
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.