[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag advice on 40k table top

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0718.jpg (38KB, 326x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0718.jpg
38KB, 326x236px
I've put some thought into starting my first army of table top 40k and I'd like some advice on what to get. I think tyranids look cool but they seem like a bitch to paint. Cost is an issue so what's the cheapest army to get? Should I stick with 'nids or find something better?
>>
You should go with the army you like the most, the rules will come and go and your painting will improve. The models will remain.

So pick nids. They are expensive if you go all infantry and no monstrous creatures but start small and have a mix in your army.

Buy the getting started box and start small. Painting is easy just ask your local gw for advice or watch some duncan rhodes vids on youtube
>>
>>50600712
Like >>50601018 said, it's better to get an army you like rather than one you may regret later. Grab the Start Collecting! set, and build your army up from there. Another good way to save money (if you have friends who will let you do it) is to play with paper bases instead of models at first so you can figure out what units you like best before you go and dump money on them. Also, if you're getting Tyranids, you're going to want Shield of Baal: Leviathan, as it gives the Tyranids new units and formations that buff them considerably. You can grab this book, and the Tyranid codex for free from here: mega:///#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

Also, 1d4chan's tactica article is good for helping decide which models you want to get; it gives a summary of each unit, how to use them, and, most importantly with 'nids, which ones to avoid.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Tyranids(7E)
>>
>>50601018
Thanks man, and I'm saying that 'nids would be a bitch is that painting 30 gaunts gets repetitive though I'm still going to go for them.

Any troop recommendations for 'nids? I know gaunts are a must and I need at least one tyrant and a couple warriors to spread the synapse.
>>
>>50601714
Depends on what kind of 'nid army you want to run. There are other arguably better ways to get synapse than Warriors. You could rely on gaunts for troops and Zoanthropes for synapse, for example, or you could run an all-heavy infantry army with only Warriors for troops.
>>
>>50601632
is that a SOB fighting with flesh tearers ?
awesome
and incredibly reckless/stupid of the sister
>>
File: shield of faith.png (43KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
shield of faith.png
43KB, 600x593px
>>50602344
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>50602589

>Not actually rolling your 6++
Cleanse the non-believer!
>>
Bitch please nids are cake to paint.
Pick two colors, one for flesh one for shell
Paint.
Dip model in brown wash.
Repeat for all infantry. Get fancy on the big gribblies if you want, but you should finish a 100 little guys in a day
>>
>>50602344
In the fluff for that battle, the Flesh Tearers DON'T massacre them either! Imagine that
>>
>>50602777
TEACH ME
I'll suck yo dick
>>
>>50600712
Tyranids are actually pretty easy to paint, in that they're very forgiving of mistakes. Often a splotch leads to inspiration rather than a dunk in Super Clean.
>>
>>50604981
I'm not worried about the panting of the models, it seems easy, but the mind numbing number of infantry (gaunts both short and staby) seems overwhelming to do in a day
>>
>>50606765
It's a hobby anon, you don't need to paint them ALL in one day.
>>
>>50600712
Tyranids are a pain in the ass for their numbers, but that's only if you play like a pleb fluffy.

The best 'nid armies right now focus around their better models, like Flying Hive Tyrants with big guy support occasionally or just replacing everything with more tyrants and spore mines, so it's less of a big deal than you'd think.

If you want the classic horde, though, it's kinda like IG only with more gribbly bits instead of uniforms. So there's worse armies to put together.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.