[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Deadlands: Magic Scientist Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

so ill be playing my first game in the setting of deadlands reloaded, but the system of gurps apparently.

i decided to branch out from my usual muscle heads and play a scientist that tinkers with occultism as well, such as making machines that run off magic and the like. i thought it would be fun since usually people make those two things oppose each other.

before i get to work on paper i was hoping to get some tips from you guys about how to play out a character like this, what cool things can i do with it?

Basically all I've got so far is building machines and giving it life with magic to fight for me.

Thank you.
>>
quick self bump before I'm off
>>
>>50593071
Depends *entirely* on what mechanics your GM is using for gadgeteering and for magic, plus what character options you have available and even your starting point value.

The fact that GURPS can basically do anything means that it's hard to give generic advice; we need some sort of starting point or else there's a 90% chance the advice will be worthless in your specific campaign.
>>
>>50593071
Take into the gurps general thread. They have system specific answers for you. But as a good anon said, make sure to give them your setting parameters as well. Otherwise you're inventing the universe to make an apple pie.
>>
Using your advanced knowledge of both science and magic you must harness surprise elementals
>>
But seriously, what kind of play style are you going for? That's a good start. Front line, back, support, tank? Maybe even even healer?

Perhaps it's just me but I always think of scientists as modern mages, squishy high damage dealers.

What kind of magic do they use? The type of magic is very important, from style such as voudun to usage such as utility or combat.

All of these can be figured out regardless of system.
>>
>>50594871
honestly our GM is pretty aloof, we ask him specifics and he doesn't know the answer, so his whole campaign is pretty vague so its hard for me too since i didnt even think about HOW he was doing magic

>>50595329
alright i will

>>50595827
I'm usually up close and personal, maybe i could incorporate that? the character is slightly based off wilson from Don't Starve.

Thank you everyone ill go post this in gurps general as well
>>
>>50595929
>GM runs GURPS without being upfront about what they want.
Wow that's worrisome. I'd --
>GM runs GURPS without knowing what sort of game they want to run.
ABORT ABORT ABORT
>>
>>50596095
This is a big red flag. GURPS GMs should be very involved in character creation and providing strong guidelines and context for what the campaign will be like, or at least where it will start.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.