[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a mcguffin for a campaign, context below. What should these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 20161208_000644.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_000644.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
Dwarves at the coastal mountain-foot city of Dawnskeep had obtained 7 doohikeys that enabled them to begin their conquest of the Kavirlands, a massive NW continent marked by oppressive mountain ranges

Chrom. Dragons from the north came down and ended up stealing one because they're assholes.
Metalic Dragons bargain to get their own from the dwarves in promise to beat back the other darginz and keep all that nonsense in the north -in- the north. No dragons seen past the WE DragonStocks range after this.

One given to the Elves for some reason as the High Elves rose to a huge Brittanian sea-power. Possibly to help them in the Merrow war that got them there, or to keep them out of Kavir waters.

One turned into a permanent crown atop the Dwarf King's head that is never to leave Dawnskeep.

One given to the head of the Army to use in invasions, which gets 'lost' (see later) in a power struggle in Dawnskeep.

One is used in a war in the north that leads to a huge crater forming, unexplained rn- to be used for a future campaign surrounding Evocation and themed like Borderlands (But with dragons).

Here's the important one to the adventure I'm going to work on- one was given to a human trader/lord who offered to make a permanent settlement beyond the Kavir mountains, basically trying to form a connection of civilization from the west coast, through the Kavir maze, to the east coast. He was given this and he headed east and succeeded, but by now that mcguffin is lost.

-They can each be split into three parts. Together they can make you a great king- but the knowledge of them as pieces of seven has been long lost by most people. Three cults (part of the power struggle, who broke apart the army general's mcguffin to use together but ended up in-fighting and losing them) are scattered around the region acting as factions. The party will discover pieces of at least these three (plus three) pieces and run into the remnants of the cults who can turn them to magic items.
>>
>>50590211
>What should these items be?
Rings of course.
And their holder should be named the Lord of the Rings.
For their magic was forged in elder times upon the script of aelfs.
The magic of the cycle of life and death, kingdom and authorship.
>>
However, how would they be split in three if they are but rings? Marble-sized "thirds" don't scream '!IMPORTANT?' but maybe that'd be the point. If they don't notice a little shiny orb, someone else takes it and warlords keep popping up until they take this random piece of loot- shadow of mordor style.
>>
>>50590294
That sounded like sarcasm, to be honest. Implying that your setting is far too similar to Lord of the Rings. And perhaps thus that the actual items themselves are of little interest.
>>
Honestly not though. If you're interested, the quest has nothing to do with these things, they're just a reoccurring loot item. The story would be inane adventures in this valley with invasions coming from all sides to fight off since the settlement maybe got less protection from the dwarves on the other side of the mountain.

The whole post was just flavor that the party could rightly never learn. I was just wondering what the items could theoretically be- otherwise I'd be making a quest post.
Just asking for random "make it this" posts. Literally started brainstorming this yesterday and it's for 3 months in the future. Baby steps.
>>
Would it have been better if I just posted-

"Give me a magic power thingy dwarves might have that can be split into three parts. Any shape or object, just shout out random ideas like crown pottery rod or cast-iron pan wtfever"?
>>
A sword
-pommel to end them rightly
-the blade and such
-the sheath
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.