[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Do you guys have any recommendations on low magic fantasy books ? I prefer single books and not long series.
>>
>>50581865
Depending on what you consider low fantasy you might like The Wardstone Chronicles. It is a series but the first few books all work fine as stand alones since there's not an overarching plot until later.
>>
>>50581865
>low fantasy
not a lot that aren't at least trilogies...
"Lamb" and "Fool", by Christopher Moore, they're both satires with fantasy elements, I'd recommend them for humor value over fantasy though.

there is "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch, but thats the first book of three in an ongoing series.

there is the "Night Angel" series by Brent Weeks, it's a trilogy, and it's fantasy is climbing up the curve towards middle fantasy from low fantasy

the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb...

these days nobody I know makes 1-offs in low fantasy.
>>
>>50581993
>>50582360
I will give them a look!

I would rank LotR as a low-middle magic setting if that is to any help.
>>
Have anyone read "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron ?
>>
>>50582624
nope, what flavor of low fantasy?
>>
>>50583181
Idk, haven't read any. Only a book in the wheel of time series. I have mostly stuck with sci-fi and horror thrillers in modern time.
>>
>>50581865
It's a series, not a single book, but the Emberverse series is pretty good. It is set in the 1990's and for some reason our technology fails, sending us back to medieval times. the early books are about how everyone is just trying to survive. So you got guys making swords and armor from cars, hydraulic catapults, a main villain using Saurons Eye as a banner.
>>
>>50581865
Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker.
It isn't really low fantasy, but it takes off as low fantasy, and keeps the fantasy pretty low for the first couple of books, and when it does go for fantasy-elements, it does it really well.

It's kinda Tolkien meets the crusades with lots of sex.
>>
File: 1478417185404.png (245KB, 601x1101px) Image search: [Google]
1478417185404.png
245KB, 601x1101px
Conan is one giant story arch. I fucking love it. Dude just travels around stabbing people he wants to (snakes, people, giants, demi gods, and more snakes) and liberating things he does like (gold, women, ships, weapons). Best part is he never gets too attached and he's always ready to go somewhere else and fuck up somebody elses stuff, person who stole his stuff, or for fun.
>>
>>50581865
When you say Low fantasy do you mean "low in fantastical elements" or stories connected to our world like Shannara? If you are referring to the first, I recommend reading the Folding Knife and, Traitor Baru Cormorant and maybe the Shadow Campaigns.
>>
>>50582360
Those are quite High fantasy I'd say.
>>
>>50585503
eh, they were the lowest I could get.
>>
>>50582624
I find the series highly entertaining. The world is based in part on ours and it is explained through the story. Features medieval life and warfare with lots of magic and fantastical creatures.
>>
>>50584388
More like Princes of Mary Sues. I liked the writhing though.
>>
>>50585647
*writing
>>
>>50581865
I'm gonna recommend Brandon Carbaugh. His dwarf novellas are quite excellent, from a literary perspective, and they're definitely quite low.
>>
The first law series by Joe Abercrombie isn't too bad for a read. Some elements of middle fantasy but mostly low I think.
>>
>>50582360
>Night Angel" series by Brent Weeks
I was pleasantly surprised by this series.
>>
Discworld
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.