[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 36

File: Wot4E Monk.jpg (27KB, 280x350px) Image search: [Google]
Wot4E Monk.jpg
27KB, 280x350px
>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50573587

If Wizards ever revised a class archetype like they revised the Ranger, which one would you want the most?
>>
>>50580097
Just Archetype, or are Classes an option?

Because I would say Wizard
>>
>>50580097
If it's just a single archetype, then I've undoubtedly got to say the Way of the Four Elements monk.

But if it was an entire class, I'd say the Sorcerer. Not that there's anything really mechanically wrong with the Sorcerer as-is, I just would like to see it differentiated more from the Wizard.
>>
>>50580097
Not pact of the blade.
Pact oftheblade shouldn't be a level 3 choice when warlocks already have a not-too-important level 1 choice and a not-too-important level 3 choice.

It needs to be like valor bard, but valor bard as a level 3 warlock choice is way too strong.
>>
>>50580097
At the moment, almost all the classes are at least functional. The issue with Ranger was that it felt like a weaker fighter, and even the unique things like Beast Master didn't work well at all.

If they did anything, I would have them revise Sorcerer.
>Give Draconic Sorcs full resistance to the damage type
>Give Draconic, Wild, and Storm sorcs a 1/3/5/7/9 free spell list
>>
>>50580097
... Otherwise monk
In particular want to see them revise monk so the archetype is important enough that WOT4E is a big deal.
Right now all monks boil down to stunsticks eventually.
>>
>>50580287
Once again, letting Sorcerers to use spell points does make them feel a lot different already, even though it hardly adds anything new to their toolbelt.

Maybe you could expand their spell list a little too.
>>
>>50580185
It'd make sense if it blocked all energy-based weapons but not ballistics, but then it was blocking gunfire, but eh.

At least it sounds cool. That sort of thing is comforting.

>>50580103
That sounds interesting to promote a 'break the shields then lay down gunfire' approach rather than 'just stay at range and lay down gunfire'.
>>
https://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/cosmonomicon/

Thoughts on this setting? What would I have to keep in mind / add to flesh this out and make it playable? Any ideas for adventures, encounters, etc?
>>
>>50580414
It looks awful.
>>
>>50580394
I think giving Sorcerers some Sorcerer specific spells would help a lot.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
Would making a conjure fiend spells that's pretty much identical to conjure fey but with fiends be balanced?
>>
>>50580431
no
>>
>>50580380
>full resistance
5e isn't for the powerlevel where characters could get immunity earlier.

If you mean immunity later (Say level 14+) then I'd probably agree, though it feels like each flavour of dragon sorcerer deserves some special ability to balance it out. Also more high-level spells for each element.

And then give wild sorcerer fucktons of Fun and !!Science!!.
>>
>>50580443
Care to explain why?
>>
>>50580448
Oh no, I don't mean immunity, I mean resistance. The level 6 feature "Elemental Affinity" allows sorcs to spend a sorcery point to gain resistance to their damage type for 1 hour. I think they should just have permanent resistant to that damage type.

Maybe make it full immunity at higher level, like 14 or 18, but at least make it so they have it without spending points.
>>
Werewolf are humanoid right? Our DM think they are immune to charm person and hold person for some reason.
>>
>>50580484
Oh, yeah. It's really awkwardly worded right now.
>>
>>50580543
Medium Humanoid (human, shapechanger)
No immunity to charm.

Yeah, don't get what's going on there.
>our werewolves are different
>>
>>50580543
Yes, Werewolves are humanoids.
>>
>>50580287
Basically this, Elements monk is sorely in need of a revision.

My complaint with Sorcerer is a bit different, I just think it needs more archetype options beyond dragonslut and randoman.
>>
File: 1415956859091.jpg (132KB, 752x398px) Image search: [Google]
1415956859091.jpg
132KB, 752x398px
>>50580543
Check the MM. They are humanoid when in their humanoid form or hybrid form and beasts when in their animal form.
>>
File: werewolf.png (409KB, 755x401px) Image search: [Google]
werewolf.png
409KB, 755x401px
>>50580543
Immune to nonmagical nonsilvered weapons.
No other immunities.
>>
File: tumblr_mwr4cxDO8V1qzfsnio7_400.png (111KB, 357x289px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwr4cxDO8V1qzfsnio7_400.png
111KB, 357x289px
>>50580431
Bumping for answers
>>
>>50580634
You already got the answer. It was "no"
>>
Another week passes and another ua is released where the only option with thought put into it is the first one in the PDF.
>>
>>50580650
with zero explanation. not him but im curious too. is it just that the list of monsters is much more useful? CR still applies.
>>
>>50580431
Sure.
>>
>>50580591
Well SCAG has the Storm Sorcery origin, and UA has the Shadow origin and the Favored Soul origin.

>>50580688
Go shitpost somewhere else
>>
File: image.png (227KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
227KB, 750x1334px
>>50580431
They made an Unearthed Arcana for this already pleb
>>
>>50580431
If it's a tuesday or friday and your name is Bob.
>>
>>50580714
Sorry mearls, 5eg is a place with standards. The fighter ua sucks like the druid and the cleric one did before it.
>>
>>50580688
>only option with thought put into it

Based on what?

>>50580425
What makes it look awful? Space Opera with D&D rules? Seems legit.
>>
>>50580721
Why don't they give the warlock any demon summoning?
>>
>>50580688
Does that take into consideration that AA is the worst one of the martial archetypes presented, isn't actually martial as an archetype, and should clearly just be a battle master?
>>
>>50580721
That ua sucked. They really should just release a conjure lesser fiend and a conjure major fiend like the elemental spells to prevent spell bloat. We don't need a spell for each fiend.
>>
>>50580431
The worst you could summon at base level would be a Vrock or a Chasme, which would be strong aoe debilitations but I don't necessarily think OP. At higher levels, you could summon up to a Bone Devil, or two Succubi/Incubi.

It'd probably be balanced, I don't immediately see anything that could be abused. If anything though, losing concentration on them is even worse than Fey creatures, since they probably have more inclinations to fuck with you.
>>
>>50580741
The other three options are poorly cobbled together mish mashes of either redundant ideas or half baked d&d-wiki tier features.

>>50580764
Like it out not, the battle master framework needs to be copied to more subclasses. Ideally every fighter subclass except champion fighters.
>>
>>50580748
Not sure, but the book does encourage you to make up your own stuff in case you don't agree with them. My DM let me have Resurrection as a wizard, taking this spell as a warlock should be fine
>>
>>50580735
Hey, the cleric one was great.
>>
>>50580785
Since its unearthed arcana and not canon material I'm cool with them having spells for specific demons, it's dramatic
>>
>>50580801
If they do use Superiority die more, they at least need to mix it up. If it's supposed to be using them for only a handful of effects, then they should get a bigger quantity. If it's mainly for damage, then they should have bigger dice to start.
>>
>>50580836
The first part of the cleric one was. I love forge clerics. Then we got the flavor fail grave cleric that was also completely busted, and the so boring I fell asleep protection cleric.
>>
>>50580723
Devil contracts are getting too complicated for me

>>50580735
>5eg is a place with standards
You know how I know you're not from around here?
The cleric UA really was atrocious though
>>
>>50580735
All the weekly UAs so far have been good to great.
>>
I want to make Ghost Rider inspired character. I'm thinking Scourge Aasimar with 3 to 5 levels in Paladin with the Oath of Vengeance or Oathbreaker (I like the abilities) and the rest in Warlock. I'm not sure which pact yet, but I'm thinking of either the Fiend or Undying Light patron. Background would be Haunted One. Any tips or advice? Are there any unique or special weapons added in any supplements?
>>
>>50580887
Forge clerics got paladin spells and +2 to AC. Fun or not, they were an awfully-designed archetype.
>>50580836
Same goes for Protection - just copies other people's stuff.
At least Grave had its own thing going and wasn't OP.

>>50580920
All the weekly UAs so far have been halfway decent to almost awesome. Cleric and bard, respectively.
>>
>>50580480
no
>>
>>50580887
I'm not sure where they were going with the Grave cleric. It was like they started with Death cleric and then decided halfway through that it was supposed to be an anti-undead cleric after all. I kind of liked the idea though.

Protection cleric was trash, and there's no point in playing one over a Life cleric.
>>
>>50580923

Pact of the blade, use a whip.
>>
>>50580942
Wow 5e is bitchy today.
>>
>>50580946
They're not really sure where they're going with half of them (grave cleric, tempest barbarian, that dickish second bard, shaman druid all seriously lack coherence), which is why none of it is official. They're literally just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
Which I'd be fine with, if it actually led to some new release in the not-too-distant future.
>>
>>50580940
Forge cleric was loaded down with passives, but fire immunity, item creation and metal conversion, and magic item blessing are all interesting directions to take things.

Grace cleric is annoying. Why does a cleric that hunts down undead deal necrotic damage, which the majority of undead resist or are immune to? Why does it get to make fire elementals take damage from fire with no save?

Protection cleric is just hilariously bad.
>>
>>50581005
You must not come here often if you think this is anything but normal.
>>
>>50581005
Probably just the one guy who thinks he's trolling you. But this place does tend to be nicer before evening Europeans and morning Americans all log on at once.

>>50581018
For sure, Forge had interesting ideas. It's just that it broke 5e's design principles for no apparent reason. Blessing should NOT give +anything. Clerics should NOT get the defense fighting style, or any fighting style.

Also, you're going to get hate for claiming undead are resistant to necrotic in approximately 20 seconds.
>>
>>50581055
Why would I get hate for it? A quick survey of the monster manual shows that they are, with a few exceptions.
>>
>>50581018
>necrotic damage, which the majority of undead resist or are immune to

Do you know how I know you've never read the MM?
>>50581055
>>
>>50580801
>poorly cobbled together mish mashes of either redundant ideas
>the battle master framework needs to be copied to more subclasses
You call that thinking?
>>
>>50580923
Definitely go Vengeance Pally, Ghost Rider is all about the spirit of vengeance. Ask your DM to reflavor a Pike to be a Spiked Chain from older editions, grab Polearm Master so you can hit with both ends of it and slap people around. Maybe get Mounted Combatant to use the fuck out of your Find Steed mount (which should be a Fiend Warhorse).

If you do plan on going Warlock, try to at least fit in 6 levels of Paladin, you sure as hell want that Aura of Protection. Pact of the Blade is the best thematically, just so you can summon your chain, but it doesn't really do anything for you mechanically. Fiend patron should be obvious.
>>
>>50581038
You must not come here at 8:00 AM GMT if you think this is the only possible state.

>>50581074
Because "Chill Touch does necrotic damage and is clearly meant to be used against undead."
>>50581075 case in point
>>
>>50580612
RAI say that the only stats that really change are its AC, all of its actions have conditionals related to form but are still there if in another

It should have a mind similar to a humanoid, and can atleast understand Common while a wolf, so I don't see why hold person or charm person can't work.

The DM can make a ruling however they want.
>>
>>50581083
The battlemaster is a framework that you can put new ideas into. There isn't any contradiction.
>>
>>50580801
>>50581083
>>50581109
The battlemaster framework was cool until the exact moment they tried to extend it to other classes and archetypes. It was called the Gothic Heroes UA and it was trash.
>>
>>50581107
RAW not RAI.
>>
How would you make each of the 9 characters in TF2?
>>
I do like the idea of putting in a partial-magic themed fighter subclass that uses short rest recharge though, mechanically. The effects just aren't strong enough right now for what you get.
>>
>>50581270
well first you need to install TF2 onto your computer and play it
then you need to stop asking stupid questions
>>
>>50581270
>Medic -> Life Cleric
>Sniper->Sharpshooter Fighter, or Warlock with Spell Sniper
>Soldier->Fighter with loads of javelins and boots of striding and springing
>Scout->Speedster Cat
>>
>>50581271
50/50 multiclass with Warlock
>>
>>50581075
Do you know how I know you've never read it?

Banshee, immune
Death tyrant, normal
Crawling claw, normal
Death knight, resistant
Demi lich, immune
Adult blue Draco lich, resistant
Flame skull, resistant
Ghost, immune
Ghast, resistant
Ghoul, normal
Lich, resistant
Mummy, immune
Mummy Lord, immune
Bone Naga, normal
Revenant, resistant
Shadow, immune
Skeleton, normal
Minotaur skeleton, normal
Warhorse skeleton, normal
Spectre, immune
Vampire, resistant
Vampire spawn, resistant
Wight, resistant
Wraith, immune
Zombie, normal
Ogre zombie, normal
Beholder zombie, normal

There are more immune or resistant undead in the book than not. Grave clerics are better at killing humans than the things they are supposed to kill.
>>
>>50581421
You mean they're only good at killing undead that are created by crypt-robbing necromancers.

Basically, if it's powered by negative energy, it probably resists necrotic. If it's just an animated corpse, it doesn't.
>>
>>50581421
>Skeletons and Zombies, which make up almost every encounter with undead, take normal damage
K
>>
File: sample.png (8KB, 290x376px) Image search: [Google]
sample.png
8KB, 290x376px
>>50581421
pie this shit
>>
>>50581421
Looks like if it has some form of sapience, they tend to at least resist necrotic

"Mindless" undead have no such resistance.
>>
>>50581544
Further suggesting that positive/negative energy are more tied to your soul than your body.

>>50581510
I think a bar graph would be more helpful here.
>>
>>50581570
Nah. We need a Venn diagram for this.
>>
>>50581570
This is the best, clearly.
>>
>>50581631
I don't know, anon. I think a line-chart would represent it better.
>>
>>50581631
Separate bars you dunce
>>
>>50581570
>I think a bar graph would be more helpful here.
I dunno, I like a pie chart now and then
>>
>>50581658
That's not a bar graph
>>
File: The third dimension is useless.png (15KB, 665x383px) Image search: [Google]
The third dimension is useless.png
15KB, 665x383px
>>50581570
>>
>>50581631
Here. Let me get started. Creatures immune to necrotic damage:
>Solar (Celestial), Banshee, Death Knight, Demilich, Ghost, Helmed Horror (Construct), Mummy, Mummy Lord, Shadow, Specter, Wraith.
Creatures resistant to necrotic damage:
>Shadow Demon (Fiend), Dracolich, Shadow Dragons(Dragon), Flameskull, Ghast, Lich, Revenant, Vampire, Vampire Spawn, Wight, Will-o'-Wisp.
Creatures who take normal damage from necrotic: Everything else.
>>
What makes eberron such an attractive / popular setting? I've never played in it myself, or any other setting outside of FR or whatever the fuck Sword Coast is in.
>>
File: 125662_edit_lr_web.jpg (54KB, 688x440px) Image search: [Google]
125662_edit_lr_web.jpg
54KB, 688x440px
>>50581874
People like trains.
>>
>>50581874
Pulp fantasy action adventure, basically. Planar incursions, a continent of adventure, simmering post-war conflicts, a country with a practical extra evil undead labor force, quiet gods, questionable alignements, and the number 13.

I don't really care for the dragons, prophecy, or the dragonmarks, personally.
>>
>>50581874
High Fantasy, low level. People like them gnomes
>>
>>50581874
I kind of like it for the Dungeonpunk vibe. Warforged and elemental powered machinery is a nice change of pace from the typical.
>>
>>50581874
Sword Coast is in Forgotten Realms
>>
>>50581950
That's what I'm saying; I've never played in anything other than that.

I played a Dark Sun PC game when I was a kid, thought that was cool. Recently been looking into Spelljammer and Dragonstar and Birthright, trying to find ways to explore things like that and >>50580414 to play in 5e.
>>
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Soulknife_(5e_Class)
Guy in my group has been pushing to be allowed to play this from day 1. He doesn't see why we don't want him to play it.
>>
>>50581980
>Dark Sun PC game when I was a kid
I'm now imagining the starting chapters of Baldur's Gate in Dark Sun, particularly the bit around the iron mine. That would seem a lot less like petty bullshit in Dark Sun's setting.
>>
Thoughts on these rogue homebrews?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD
>>
>>50582022
>made my character without the rest of the group
>used entirely core rules
>later learn that the DM said we can use things from that awful wiki

The powergaming nigger in me says I missed an opportunity for cheese but the reasonable person in me says it's for the best since just about everything on that site is garbage anyway
>>
I'm running CoS, the party just left the village of Barovia.

The party concists of a War Cleric, a Shadow Sorcerer, a Champion and a revised Deep Stalker. How do you see their chances of survival?
>>
>>50581834
one bar for immune/resist and one bar for normal
>>
>>50582022
Holy shit, that Enhanced Mind Blade ability is broken
A free +1 magic weapon at level 6 that can be summoned at will? Wtf dandwiki
>>
>>50582117
Some of the encounters are pretty brutal at 3-4th level. Don't be afraid to scale down from 6 werewolves.
>>
File: 1384028288016.jpg (37KB, 497x305px) Image search: [Google]
1384028288016.jpg
37KB, 497x305px
I picked up Major Image and I told my DM I'd make the image of a fearsome red dragon in one spot to scare some enemies away, and he said it'd be a small dragon, and I said "no, it's 20ft by 20ft, that's 4 squares so it's like Gargantuan in size" and he said "that's just one of the dragon's feet" and I was like "oh"

Is he right? When the MM says a dragon is "huge" does it mean each of its four feet is 3x3 squares?
That's too big!
>>
File: bestchart.png (8KB, 289x266px) Image search: [Google]
bestchart.png
8KB, 289x266px
>>50582145
>>
>>50582191
Your DM is an idiot
>>
>>50582022
You should literally never have to justify forbidding anything from Dandy Wiki.

>>50582146
Haaaaave you met the forge cleric?
>>
>>50582145
Pretty strong group overall, however they'll find that many of the encounters in CoS are not meant to be taken head on. Running, negotiating, and avoidance are extremely common tactics.
>>
>>50580287
>But if it was an entire class, I'd say the Sorcerer. Not that there's anything really mechanically wrong with the Sorcerer as-is, I just would like to see it differentiated more from the Wizard.
i started on one that was a conversion of the playtest sorcerer, but i abandoned it just as quickly. still want to do it, but heres the playtest converted to 5e style.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1I2Ny-v
numbers need work and i didn't do much.
>>
>>50582237
Whoops, meant for
>>50582117
>>
>>50582191
A small creature takes up one square. Regardless of type. Large creatures take up four.

Your dm is retarded.
>>
You have carte blanche to come up with an assassination attempt via Kenku assassins on your balanced group of adventurers. How do you do it?
>>
>>50582274
20 Kenku wizards with 8 int
>>
>>50582293
All wielding diamond pickaxes
>>
>>50582274
Assassin Kenku with 2 levels in Warlock for Devil Sight

Party is dropped in an area with magical darkness. Everything anyone in the party says is instantly mimic'd by the Kenku assassins to throw them off as they stab them to death.
>>
File: skeletondiagram.png (694KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
skeletondiagram.png
694KB, 1000x769px
>>50581421
>>50581510
>>50581631
>>50581834
>>50582211
Here in /5eg/, we use fucking Euler diagrams.
>>
>>50582022
At level 7(probably before), the class just breaks.
>free shillelagh
>This shillelagh can be used for any weapon
>every attack gets +1d8 +1 +2 +1d10 + additional effects and has +3 to attack rolls
>armor from attack stat (that works with defensive)

The class is literally retardedly OP and your player should feel bad. Tell him to play a GOO bladelock and reflavor it as psychic powers.
>>
>>50582377
What's the gray
>>
So what would be a better melee Tome Warlock, Udying Light with shillelagh and GFB, or Fiend with shillelagh and Polearm Master?
Or is there even something better than that?
>>
File: PrinceOfPersiaIsntAGoodWaifu.jpg (241KB, 1024x1467px) Image search: [Google]
PrinceOfPersiaIsntAGoodWaifu.jpg
241KB, 1024x1467px
>>50582211
Stop, I can only get so erect
(BTW this is the best one yet for actually showing the relevant data)

>>50582098
Revolutionary
3rd level too stacked, Voice of the People too good. Rogues have enough skills already, as per WotC.
Freedom Fighters is actually pretty cool but 9th level feature shouldn't give combat power.
One For All should not be at-will.
Call to Action is fine and also cool.
2.5/5, good idea, OP execution.

Ruffian
Heavy Hands should grant another proficiency if you already have athletics, otherwise you're limiting level 1-2 choices. Otherwise fine.
>Oh look it's a grappling archetype
Aggressive Negotiation is fun.
Full Nelson doesn't specify a trigger for the reaction.
Fighting Dirty is extremely abusable.
2/5, interesting concept but broken mechanics.

Time Bandit
>lolwut
Rogues get enough skills as it is. Don't give them more. This is stated explicitly by Wizards.
Time Hop is legit.
Post Recollection shouldn't give hard statistics on creatures, otherwise it's fine and flavorful.
Future Presence is a meme time travel ability and I love it.
Temporal Recall might be too strong but who gives a shit, nobody gets to 17th level anyway.
6/5, would play.
>>
>>50582451
The one who insists his Eldritch Blasts are actually purple spears flying out of his arms so he's technically meleeing you from 60 feet away.
>>
>>50582413
normies
>>
>>50582377
>Count the skeletons

I really like this one.
>>
File: reeeee.jpg (128KB, 960x534px) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.jpg
128KB, 960x534px
>>50582540
>>
>>50582466
Revolutionary
>The idea is that it's just ranged Help action.
> Freedom Fighters is just Animate Dead, without the dead.
> One for all eats reaction, which rogues desperately need.

Ruffian
> Care to expand on Fighting Dirty being abusable?

Time Bandit
>Post Recollection is supposed to mimic Know Your Enemy a la Battlemaster
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
As a lvl 4 vengeance paladin, should I bump my charisma up from 16 to 18 or get a feat?
>>
>>50582585

Max Strength.
>>
Is the Mobile feat any good? It seems like it allows you to disengage at no cost at all but I'm not sure I'm reading it right.
>>
>>50582451
Depends on your attack modifier, if you are more likely to hit Undying Light, for added damage onto your green flame blade attack. Polearm Master gives you another attack to proc your damage and another chance incase.
>>
>>50582193
>Well Zhents aren't really evil

Yeah, they were only
>founded by an evil wizard
>run by an Evil god who himself was in service to Bane (an even more Evil god)
>put Evil NPCs in charge of all their cities, keeps, and other holdings
>were explicitly taken over by Banite or Cyricist clergy several times, both Evil gods
>gain power through murder, theft, blackmail, and extortion
>are assholes to anyone they think can't beat them up
>and at last check were conquered by an army of undead and then run by their master (also the original founder)

Totally not evil.
>>
>>50582566
Revolutionary
There's a reason you can't use a ranged help action.
Freedom Fighters isn't OP, it's just that rogue archetypes don't grant combat power at 9th level.
One for All might be fine.

Ruffian
>Blinded every turn
>Frighten every turn
>Pushed and prone every turn
#1 is strong but acceptable at 17th. #2 is just silly. #3 is annoying as fuck.

Time Bandit
Battlemaster doesn't give hard stats either.
>>
>>50582602

You're reading it right. Monks love it.
>>
>>50582601
This, you don't need to worry about Charisma until you have things that rely on it. Max Strength then max Charisma for saves.
>>
>>50582602
Yes it disengages you at no cost other than attacking, it's best if you don't want to get targeted a lot.
>>
Hi everyone, 3.5 vet and newfag to 5e, I'm wondering how skills work.

3.5 has you gain skillpoints when you level up which you can spend to increase levels, but in 5e it seems that instead you choose less skills (based on your class) that you specialize in, then your ability modifiers affect these skills. So you can attempt to perform any skill, but the ones you choose you're able to add your skill bonus.

So are skills less important in 5e as most things are based around your ability scores?
>>
>>50582617
Ruffian
Would it be a decent trade off to force a save against one of the effects INSTEAD of Sneak Attack damage/ damage at all?
>>
>>50582665
I was planning to use it with booming blade for my Eldritch Knight. The extra movement is just bonus.
>>
>>50582734

Skills are simple. All you need to do is check to see if you are proficient in a skill or not on your sheet.

If yes, your skill modifier is equal to proficiency + stat modifier.

If no, just stat.

They arent' any less important - just far more condensed and simplified. And they give most characters a chance (if a very edge one at levels 10+) to do things they aren't very good at.
>>
>>50582734
Not really. Because your proficiency modifier eventually overshadows your maximum ability modifier, whether or not you're proficient actually means a large swing in success chance... although everybody can theoretically succeed at most things.
Unlike in 3.5, where you either were overoptimized for a skill, or worthless at it.

>>50582757
It would be a bad trade for the rogue, because a rogue would never give up his sneak attack.
>>
>>50582734
You are able to add your ability modifier to any skill check in 5e.
You choose skills to be proficient in, which allows you to add your proficiency bonus, a flat bonus scaling with character level. This stacks with your ability modifier.
Some classes, such as the Rogue and Bard, get Expertise in some skills. This allows you to add twice your proficiency bonus to these skills.

Keep in mind that skills in 5e are more versatile than previous editions (Perception would include both spot and listen, for example) so proficiency goes a long way.
>>
>>50582734
IN 5e you're either proficient in a skill or not. Your proficiency bonus increases with your level, making you more effective at said skill.

Skills are still important, however. They've been streamlined e.g. swim, climb etc has been condensed into Athletics.

You can't become proficient in new skills without feats or items to my knowledge, but I could be mistaken.
>>
>>50582734
Perception is super important.

If you want to grapple, take Athletics.

Arcana doesn't let you detect magic, but lets you understand magical effects.

Tools, vehicles (eg. Thieve's Tools or Sailing) use your proficiency bonus if you have it, no ability bonus. Expertise (doubling proficiency) is useful if you can get it through your class.

Basically, everyone has a fixed progression of Skill points, and that is your Proficiency Bonus (which also factors into your attack bonus). You are basically locked into your class/background skills.
>>
I like to do this thing where if players use magic on items a lot, some of the magic transfers over to the item itself and it begins to retain some of the properties. A nice touch to let my players *create* magic items, and try to think creatively with their spells instead of point and shoot.

Example: One of my players always casts Light on his dagger, and now the dagger counts as a magic weapon, and on activation shed bright light as if the spell Light was cast on it.

Any suggestions for a player who constantly uses Booming Blade? Kinda want to do something innocuous, but cool. Counts as a magic weapon (it's a scimitar), maybe it does straight Thunder damage now instead of slashing? Any suggestions?
>>
>>50582784
>>50582795
>>50582798
>>50582813

I see, so choosing a skill will add a more than your base ability modifier.

So for example, you could persuade with no persuasion skill and only get your charisma modifier, but if you have skills in persuasion then you add proficiency + stat modifiers

So skills will be in the higher ranges like I'm used to based on your D20 rolls, I was confused before because it seemed like it was only based on your d6 ability scores.
>>
>>50582601
>>50582628
let's assume I already have max strength
>>
>>50582211
Shouldn't you group the resists with the normals since you can still hurt them?
>>
>>50582869

Yep that's how it works. For example, let's assume we have two level 1 characters with 16 dex trying to sneak.

The one who is not proficient will get a +3 for their dex.

The one who IS proficient will get a +5. +2 for proficiency, +3 for dex.

Rogues and bards can get expertise, doubling their proficiency bonus for certain skills.
>>
>>50582870
Get a feat for whatever weapon you are using. Polearm master is awesome.
>>
File: donutsteal.png (8KB, 317x267px) Image search: [Google]
donutsteal.png
8KB, 317x267px
>>50582872
That wasn't the request.
>>
>>50582868
Striking on a hard surface creates a Ghost Sound of distant rolling thunder?
>>
I'm a 3rd level war cleric, with 16 str, 16 wis, and only 13 con, What should I do with my ASI? I tend to do a good mix of fighting as well as support casting (bless, shield of faith, heals)
Im thinking +2 wis for another charge of war priest and increased modifiers for spell attacks and save DC, but people always say go for your stat to hit, which is split for me as a war cleric.
We do have another fighter in the group so maybe I should just focus on wis to diversify? I do have 16 str which is still good.
and then again a feat could be best like Con resilient.
>>
>>50582934
You should have two shades of orange so you can see them both separately and as a group.

>>50582869
If you want to get technical, there's no such thing as a "skill check." Every D20 roll that isn't an attack roll or a saving throw is an "ability check."

The formal process for rolling ability checks is as follows:
1. Player: I want to try x.
2. DM: x uses stat y.
3. Player: I'm proficient with [skill or tool] z; can I apply it to my roll?
4a. DM: yes.
5a. Player: rolls + ability modifier + proficiency modifier
4b: DM: no.
5b: Player: rolls + ability modifier.

In practice, it tends to look like this:
Player: I want to sneak. (Rolls + dex + proficiency because he's proficient in stealth and it's generally accepted that's how it works unless the DM specifically says otherwise.)
>>
>>50582909
They can also get expertise in tools. Stealth and Thieve's Tools are probably the best initial expertise for a standard scouting rogue, followed by perception and investigation.
>>
>>50582977
Hmmm.....The player is a Rogue lol so I don't know if he'd exactly think I was helping him out.

Then again, he's got 45 movement speed, so his favorite thing to do is Bonus action disengage > drive-by Booming Blade > Strike a pose so it might work.
>>
File: 1457495952797.jpg (36KB, 530x482px) Image search: [Google]
1457495952797.jpg
36KB, 530x482px
>>50582909
>>50582993
>>50583010
Alright, seems simple enough.
>>
File: pleasedonutsteal.png (9KB, 262x270px) Image search: [Google]
pleasedonutsteal.png
9KB, 262x270px
>>50582993
>>
>>50582977
>>50582868
>>50583046
i'm toying with a mechanic where instead of effects on crits its effects on modified attacks of 20 or greater, i.e if you have +7 to hit, and you roll a 14, you proc the effect.
maybe on a 20+ it deafens the target of the attack for one round? or if thats too weak, it could do that plus they're somewhat stunned so they lose their reaction or something.
>>
>>50580097

I think Monk is the most badly in need of a rework. Its crunch is far too tied into its fluff for the way 5e wants its class structure to be.
>>
>>50583139
Maybe if they beat the AC by 5 or more? It would make it trigger quite easily for easier to hit enemies, and probably leave stuff like Dragons safe.
>>
>>50580612

That is some awkward phrasing. I too think the intent is that its shifted form is beast, but it doesn't actually say that, only that its true form is humanoid. Unfortunately, a good argument can be made each way.
>>
>>50583061
I like this one because it reminds me of Ubuntu.
>>
>>50582984
If you intend to keep swinging swords as your plan A during combat (when there are no important support spells to be cast,) might as well go for more Strength or Resilient (Con) to bring it up to 14
>>
What's your latest random idea for a non-combat dungeon feature?

>outside acompletely black doorway, there is a silver chain with one end attached to the floor.
>the next room is filled with magical darkness that no one can see through - but creatures grasping the chain can see 10' out into the darkness.
>>
>>50583225
The true form and hybrid form are both humanoid, while the wolf form is a beast.
>>
>>50582104

Just don't play in that group and be happy you dodged a bullet.
>>
>>50582191

He's an idiot.
>>
>>50583139
That's kind of needlessly confusing. What would be the intended effect of that?

>>50583046
If he doesn't like his weapon making loud noises, maybe he shouldn't cast a spell that causes his weapon to make loud noises.
>>
>>50582616

And yet they still look pretty good standing next to the Lord's Alliance.
>>
>>50583241
>wut
>>
what is the average increase that advantage provides? over an infinite amount of rolls, what is the average difference that advantage provides?
>>
File: giphy.gif (4MB, 480x495px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
4MB, 480x495px
>>50583265
>its statistics, other than AC, are the same in each form
>Therefore, it's creature type changes

As long as a charm person spell that hits while it is hybrid or human doesn't fail because the lycan Wolfs it up, there isn't a big deal.
>>
I'm joining a game where everyone is starting at level 1, but I want to plan ahead. I'm locked in to playing a paladin, but was considering multi-classing at level six into bard, with the plan to go lore bard. I've seen people talk about Bardadins, but nothing too concrete.

Simply put, is this a bad idea, y/n?
>>
>>50583340
+5

>disadvantage?

But it also drastically influences the 1's and 20's.
>>
File: 5e-adv-disadv.png (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
5e-adv-disadv.png
32KB, 480x480px
>>50583340
Average? Approximately +3

The trick is that it makes higher rolls far more probable.
>>
>>50583360
It's actually +/- 3 from the average
>>
>>50583340
http://anydice.com/program/168e
>>
>>50583354
y

"Y" as in "yes" and also "y" as in "why would you do that?" I mean, it almost works, in the sense that levels in any spellcasting class will give you more spell slots to smite shit with, but are you doing this just because you read about it on the internet? Maybe just play the character for a few levels and do what makes sense for the story. It'd be pretty awkward if right in the middle of a dark, scary story arc your paladin decided he always wanted to play the guitar.
>>
>>50583360
>>50583377
>>50583378
so Id be better off taking the feat Resilient (con) over war caster for concentration saving throws? both will give ~3 bonus to my concentration rolls but resilient will give me ALL con saving throws and the bonus health, but i lose out on the actual advantage and spell attacks of oppurtunity
>>
>>50583277
Nah they're a pretty good group all things considered, the DM looked over anything before allowing them to pick it so everyone is pretty well balanced.
>>
>>50583299
whats confusing about it? getting over a 20 on an attack is confusing? or deafening + no reaction is confusing?
over 20 on an attack is to have weapons that have added effects that happen more often than a 1/20 chance.
deafening + no reaction is just an effect that fits into booming blade, but its a good support effect that lets your allies get past someone, lets you take out someone's reaction, and lets you maybe hide easier or something.
>>
>>50583435
And the profeciency in saving throws will go up as my profiency bonus goes up
>>
Is it practical for a Bladesinger to have Animate Dead, Unseen Servant, and Find Familiar active at the same time?
>>
>>50583354
>>50583411
Try to grab a background that gives you proficiency in an instrument, and idly play the instrument during your downtime. Follow a god or a creed that embraces the power of music. Tweak your oaths to better suit your plans. Now your transition makes sense.

>>50583435
>>50583455
Both are good choices, if you are a variant human you might want to plan for both feats.
>>
>>50583457
yes, especially if they are also a knight with 3 retainers, have a pet dog, and a horse drawn carriage that they've hired someone to drive.
>>
>>50583480
already a firbolg, no variant human
>>
>>50583435
If the +1 CON would increase your modifier and you would prefer the tankiness, take Resilient. If you plan to be in the middle of combat often as a spellcaster, take War Caster.
>>
>>50583510
but war caster only gives an average of +3 to saving throws, which resilient would too, but resilient would give profiency bonus to ALL con saving throws which would apply to poisons too, would give me bonus health, and would make my profiency in concentration go up as i level
>>
>>50583495
What is your class?
>>
>>50583565
war cleric
I am >>50582984
I do a good amount of buffing, healing, fighting, and tanking
>>
>>50582377

Spooky.
>>
>>50583451
Nothing else in the game works that way. It's an ugly piece of design made to accomplish something that isn't even desirable in the first place. At middle levels it's happening well over half the time, so maybe just let it happen on a hit and stop being such a special snowflake.
>>
>>50583590
War caster might be a good bet, since it lets you use your weapon and shield in the place of somatic components.
>>
>>50583604
(you)
>>
>>50583634
even despite all the other bonuses from resilient? war caster is JUST concentration saving throws.
>>
>>50583661
War Clerics get bonuses for weapon attacks, and shields are typically a good bet.
>>
>>50583679
Well nigger it seems to me like you aldeady decided then didnt you?
>>
>>50583679
yea it does, and I use a shield, what does that have to do with the feats?
>>
>>50583661
>>50583634
It's an awkward situation, because most of the time DMs ignore or fail to understand the rules on somatic components for clerics. If a cleric has a holy symbol on his shield, usually he can use the shield hand for both somatic and material components of his spells UNLESS the spell has no material components. War Caster would close that cap, but how many people know that gap even exists?

I'd say take the option that also gives you more HP, because that's going to come up way more often.
>>
>>50583634
A cleric's shield can be his divine focus, so couldn't they use it for somatics too?
>>
>>50583712
>>50583634
Oh, now I remember. You can use the divine focus (shield) for S components if you're also using it for M components. You can't cast spells that have S but not M with a shield, needs an empty hand.
>>
Does anyone else feel that the arcane arrow that reduces sight range should have reduced it further than 30 feet? 30 feet is a lot, and probably sufficiently wide that using this arrow to stealth in buildings will be impossible.
>>
>>50583712
>>50583748

Spell Focus / Divine Focus only covers material components.

I try to get my player's to keep track of the components of their spells, but it is tough.
>>
How overpowered would be a level 14 feature that makes adjacent enemies not able to take attacks of opportunity? Are they a big enough part of the game that this is too good? Conversely, are they a small enough part of the game that this is too weak?
>>
>>50583748
These include:

Guidance
Sacred Flame
Spare the Dying
Cure Wounds
Detect Evil and Good
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Inflict Wounds
Purify Food and Drink
Calm Emotions
Find Traps
Lesser Restoration
Protection from Poison
Silence
Spiritual Weapon
Zone of Truth
Beacon of Hope
Bestow Curse
Create Food and Water
Daylight
Dispel Magic

etc. etc.
>>
>>50583782
Material component hand can be used for somatic component too

So you have to have a hand free only for spells with S but no M
>>
>>50583785

I think that would be fine. If it just applies to the character that's basically the best part of mobility for free. If it applies to allies it's a neat buff for martials.
>>
>>50583748
>>50583782
if you disregarded the +2 AC for one turn, couldnt you use it for both?
>>
>>50583785
You can already do that by spending an action. What do you spend with your ability?

>>50583797
>Casting Zone of Truth in Combat
>>
File: somatic.png (26KB, 443x123px) Image search: [Google]
somatic.png
26KB, 443x123px
>>50583822
>The hand that holds my symbol can be used to do gang signs

Nope.
>>
>>50583839
Donning/doffing shield is an action

Also, IIRC you can holster a weapon during a turn, or you can unholster one, but you can't do both in one turn
>>
>>50583826
>>50583847
It's supposed to be a buff to allies, so I suppose it's all right.
Still workin' on that warlord.
>>
>TFW the only two options I can think of for a Warforged character is an Optimus Prime ripoff or a spellcasting Robot Master ripoff that shoots from it's arm
>>
is this possible?
turn1: attack with weapon as normal
turn2: use object interaction to put sword away, then use action to cast a spell (with divine/arcane focus)
turn3: use object interaction to draw sword, use action to attack

? then you dont have to sacrifice a turn to start casting
>>
Why don't martials get Fighting Cantrips?
>>
>>50583881
>Material (M)
>A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell.
>A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/26/holy-symbol-replace-somatic-components/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/04/holy-symbol-on-shield/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/18/focus-component-and-free-hand/
>>
>>50583785
That idea is fine in concept, but bad in execution. It makes it so the feature class never deals with opportunity attacks, aside from polearms and hobgoblins and etc. That's too binary for me.

I'd make it so the character uses some resource to stop attacks, but the resource is valuable for other things.

Consider this: whenever a creature makes an opportunity attack against another creature within 5 feet of you (not yourself), you can use your reaction to intervene. Until the start of your next turn, opportunity attacks against creatures within five feet of you automatically miss if you want them too.
>>
>>50583918
Yup, it is fine. Just watch out if you have Somatic components and something in your other hand, such as a shield.
>>
>>50583918
Completely possible, but inconvenient.
>>
>>50583918
>1: attack with weapon
>2: drop weapon for free, cast spell, pick up weapon as your object interaction
>3: attack with weapon

alternatively
>1: have a DM who isn't a faggot and lets you tuck swords and shit under your arm because who cares as long as you're not grappling with both hands full or casting spells while trying to carry a barrel over your head or with your hands tied behind your back
>>
>>50583961
MATERIAL
HAND
CAN BE USED
FOR SOMATIC
>>
>>50583981
Only if it has a material component. If it has sometric and not material, you can not cast it with both hands occupied, even if one of the things you are holding is your arcane focus/holy symbol.
>>
>>50584031
CORRECT
>>
>>50583937
(You)

On the off-chance that this was a serious question, there's a number of answers. First, 5e is trying to make the classes less samey than they were in 4e, so that classes work in fundamentally different ways and come in different levels of complexity rather than just being reskins of each other. Second, attacks scale up by increasing in number rather than just adding damage dice like cantrips tend to do, and people seem to think that it's fun to get a bunch of attacks. Third, the kinds of things that a guy with a sword could reasonably do at will are already covered either by the rules (for relatively safe things like grappling,) by variant rules (for things that the DM might not want to happen every single combat like disarming and sundering,) or by the player's ability to improvise.
>>
File: z83EGtg.png (2MB, 1236x824px) Image search: [Google]
z83EGtg.png
2MB, 1236x824px
>>50583981
>>50584031

Fuck that Sage Advice shit. If it is in the errata, I'll change my mind. If it gets errata'd, I am house ruling a +1 ability buff for War Caster.

If you are holding onto a holy cross, you cannot do magic gang signs, or a secret handshake with that hand.

If you are holding onto a shield, you cannot do magic gang signs or a secret handshake with that hand.

A holy symbol can totally cover material components, that is fine.
>>
>>50584031
99% of DMs and players either don't know this or refuse to follow it
But they'll all get on your ass about throwing two javelins in a round if you were previously holding a sword, or taking two daggers off your belt at once without a feat

REEEEEEEEEEE CASTER DOUBLESTANDARDS
>>
>>50583636
Except >>50583604 is 100% right and you should get over yourself.
>>
>>50583958
>The class never deals with opportunity attacks
I'm not sure that's a problem; it's already the reality for most high-level rogues and monks.

My original question is still relevant, though - do opportunity attacks happen often enough that this is really a big issue?
>>
How to inconspicuously get rid of a character I don't really want to play?

Bladelock, shit HP, shit AC, shit skills and shit stats. In the zeroes every combat despite my best efforts.

Suicide, walking away into the sunset, and other forms of outright dropping are not an option because reasons.

GM won't cooperate on this matter and won't let me just make a new one. I tried. The response was something along the lines of "I've got a great story for him just wait".

It's been three months, which is 12 sessions, of waiting.
>>
>>50584065
Which is why I recommended >>50583711 . Clerics with shields should not take War Caster because it's likely that the DM will either not know how those rules interact, or know but not care.
>>
>>50584091
thats hilariously ironic that i should "get over myself"
>>
>>50584063
>A cleric or paladin can use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus, as described in chapter 10.
>To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.

>wear it visibly
>item: Holy Symbol; Amulet
You can wear an amulet and use it as your spellcasting focus. You can empty your hand by doing stupid shit like dropping your weapon and then picking it up to make your magic gang sings.

What's the problem?
>>
>>50584117
Opportunity attacks happen very often, because monsters have no other way to use their reactions. They are a stifling, omnipresent thought in melee combattant calculus.

They're half the reason 5e combat is "I stand still and attack him again" over and over and over again.

That being said, completely removing them with your feature is an over correction.
>>
>>50584136
Renounce your patron in favor of their greatest enemy, ideally whilst killing a creature associated with your patron

If your GM doesn't have then wormhole you into their 9-dimensional rape dungeon for all eternity they're a useless storyteller cunt and mutiny is a valid response
>>
>>50584136
Pick a cause or an NPC that clearly isn't meant to be important in the context of the campaign and devote yourself to it utterly. If you don't die for it, you'll split the party for it.
>>
>>50584136
How can you not just die in combat?

Talk to whoever is playing the healer and ask them to stay out of healing range.
>>
>>50580097
>If Wizards ever revised a class archetype like they revised the Ranger, which one would you want the most?
Monk. Make it more of a DEX-based Fighter. Less Karate Kid, more Samurai Jack. Allow it to wield select weapons (or just weapons in general) as if they had Fineese and make unarmed an archetype rather than a main feature. Rework Ki points so that they power abilities like magical Battlemaster maneuvers. Maybe a little bit of self-heal, maybe some high-flying ninja acrobatics, maybe some Avartar-style bending.
>>
>>50583604
This

Choose one:
>when you hit
>when you have advantage on an attack and hit
>when you score a critical hit
>when you hit a creature that is X
>when you hit with a sneak attack
>>
>campaign lasts for nearly a year real-time, games weekly
>only made it to level 3
>found only one magic item, which is a cloak of the manta ray. in a desert campaign
>total collected loot, aside from the cloak, is worth 10 gp 7 cp, all else is nearly worthless and no one would buy anything from us

Are games supposed to be like this? The story is ok but it's getting kinda boring.
>>
>>50584179
Would you still think so if I told you this was the penultimate feature for an archetype concerned with unimpeded battlefield movement? It actually nullifies a lower-level feature by superseding it entirely.
If you still think "yes" I'll find a way to tone it down somewhat.
>>
>>50584179
People overreact to the treat of AoO. Even monsters that don't hit very hard/often will leave players trembling in their boots. I think it's a new player thing - like how new players in Magic are terrified of losing a single point of life even if it's the right decision. I guess new players are overly averse to any harm that they see as preventable, even if it comes with a benefit much greater than the harm.
>>
>>50584136
Run naked into combat, "forgetting" any of your buffs.
Have some AoE spells drop on you, "forgetting" that they'd hit you.
"Forget" to heal up during any rests. Make a deal with other PCs not to heal you or try to stabilize you if you fall.

But first, talk to you DM about just respeccing your character. You can keep whatever plot line he has planned, just make reroll your character's stats. All classes can have the interest of an otherworldy patron, there is no reason a Fey can't mess around with a sorcerer, if that was the plot.

>>50584173
No problem. It is a solid work around.
>>
>always hear people say Tomelock is a better (utility wise while still hitting decent) Bladelock
Hows this sound then
>let bladelocks attack with CHA rolls using their pact weapon
Would that be unbalanced?
>>
>>50584243
Honestly I'd prefer you make the lower level feature slightly better, maybe what I wrote, and then do something new for the capstone.
>>
>>50584223
Nothing's stopping you from just using a martial weapon as a Monk if you have proficiency, or making whatever weapon you want a Monk weapon. The PHB says monk weapons can be anything if you have an excuse ("it's what the monks of my order use")
>>
File: darksun.gif (376KB, 640x456px) Image search: [Google]
darksun.gif
376KB, 640x456px
>>50584236
While I doubt this happened, your DM clearly doesn't understand Dark Sun
>>
>>50584287
I kinda wanted to unleash my inner weeb with a Nodachi (greatsword) shadow monk/rogue/2 dip in lock for illusion at will animu ninja fag but havent actually felt like going through with it.
>>
>>50584213
The healer is sworn to keep everyone alive. That's why keeps bringing me up with his wand of healing words every time I drop, only for me to drop again before I do something useful.

I can understand him, though.
>>
>>50584236
this sounds retarded.
>>
>>50584283
The lower-level feature is already basically what you wrote (slightly weaker). This is meant as a direct upgrade. It is also not the capstone, but the ability before it ("penultimate" = "before last").
>>
>>50584304
Who said anything about dark sun?
>>
>>50584335
I figured. Talk to the player though. See if you can get him to find a reason to not be in range to heal. This is out of character. In character the cleric gets to roleplay about the one that was lost.
>>
>>50584352
>walking around in a desert for a year, only finding one (useless) magical item, and no one wants to buy any of the other garbage equipment you come across
That's Dark Sun played wrong.
>>
>>50584352
>>50584390

>All desert settings are Dark Sun
>>
>>50584390
But we're not playing dark sun. Why would you assume that?
>>
File: yesand2.jpg (3KB, 114x113px) Image search: [Google]
yesand2.jpg
3KB, 114x113px
>>50584401
All desert settings worth a damn, sure.
>>
File: Gobi Desert, Mongolia.jpg (55KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
Gobi Desert, Mongolia.jpg
55KB, 400x266px
>>50584401
Pictured: Dark Sun
>>
>>50583550
But
>The trick is that it makes higher rolls far more probable.
The answer is it depends on what number you're looking for. [highest 1 of 2d20] averages 13.82, but it's also giving you a result > 10 about 75% of the time.
>>
>>50584405
Someone help this poor man.
>>
It's me again.

I posted this yesterday, but I'm gonna post it today too so people who didn't see it last time can see it now. This is the last time I do this, I swear.

It's a handbook of winter and holiday themed archetypes, one for each class in the Player's Handbook. It's also on DM's Guild if you want to support me.
>>
>>50584429
pic related, it is Dark Sun
>>
>>50584429
>blast hellscape where no life grows
>even the birds want to eat you
>ruled over by powerful warlords who demand total respect
>no spell scrolls or druids
Well yeah
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>50584455
>Barbarian, Path of Savings
>>
>>50584455
It's really nice, anon. Great design, great content, and just the right dosage of humor. Keep up the good work!
>>
>>50584283
You know what, I think the archetype needs some non-movement features anyway. I'll make the lower-level feature impose disadvantage on opportunity attacks adjacent to you, and find a different focus for the scaling feature.
>>
is this balanced?
>>
>>50584455
Anon, you are my kind of cheeky. The kind willing to work hard to turn a silly joke into something great.
>>
>>50584555
>two classes, so two pcs work into this
I guess it seems neat, not sure if balanced, looking into it
>>
File: OathOfTheLamp.jpg (107KB, 577x417px) Image search: [Google]
OathOfTheLamp.jpg
107KB, 577x417px
>>50584455
>MFW Jewish and reached paladin level 3 today
>>
>>50584455
>Shared Blessing
>When you cast a spell with a range of Self you can choose to duplicate the effect on another creature within your line of sight.
>If the original effect required concentration, the duplicate does not. The duplicate ends as soon as the original does, however.
>This feature can also be used with beneficial effects that target other creatures. In that case, the effect is duplicated onto yourself but still functions as normal.
>You can make use of this feature twice per long rest.
I'd assume you get this at level 14, right? How's it supposed to work if you cast Magic Jar, wouldn't that cause some problems or am I overthinking it?
>>
>>50584179
>I stand still and attack him again
Well two guys can at least circle each other until it gets more bogged down.

>>50584223
I too would like better support for armed and unarmed monk-types, instead of this one blanket type that goes armed+unarmed until at least level 11, and later if they get a magic weapon.

>>50584233
Add in
>When you exceed the AC by 5 or more
>When you have advantage and the unused roll would have hit
>When you have disadvantage and the unused roll would have hit

>>50584244
Last night I wouldn't even provoke an OA from a farmer with a club. +0 Str mod! 1d4 damage! Held me quaking in my boots.

>>50584281
>>let bladelocks attack with CHA rolls using their pact weapon
>Would that be unbalanced?
No. But I also don't think it would fix them.
>>
>>50584652
You're correct. I can't believe I missed that during proofreading.

Two jars. Treat it as though the person you share the blessing with cast the spell on themselves, but anything that ends the effect of Magic Jar for you also ends the effect for them.
>>
>>50584726
Alternatively, you can share the jar and have a nice roommate for eternity
>>
>>50584136

Just fucking quit. The game's obviously shit and everyone here knows it, just admit it to yourself and move on.
>>
>>50584236

No. Read the damn rules and follow them.
>>
>>50584136
say "im not having fun with this character, let me make a new one"
if he still doesnt let you then just leave lol
if you are properly sick of your character and you dont want to leave then get 2 bags of holding for cheap at a magic item shop somewhere and put 1 into the other because you're "experimenting"
itll port your character to the astral plane according to the DMG and you can make a new one
>>
>>50584880
>Magic item shop
>>
>>50584942
>"ive never played a game where uncommon items can be purchased for a fair market value"
k?
>>
>>50584136
For what purpose would you make a shit character and then swear you are going to stick to it no matter what?

And then on top, try to not stick to it?
>>
>>50584965
who said he swore he was gonna stick to it no matter what?
he made the character, got shit rolls, and is completely useless
of course hes not having fun
would you?
>>
>>50584988
I'm pretty sure he has said as much in the past. Somebody with very similar goals and situation has, at least.

And no, of course not. But to be fair, I wouldn't let myself get into that situation.
>>
>>50584942
the DMG even gives magic item rarity levels gold values so obviously they can be sold
and in a world where this type of shit exists i dont see why some wizard somewhere wouldnt be selling uncommon bits and bobbles
>>
>>50580097
Monk next and then Mystic yesss
>>
>>50581874
It's not filled with Mary Sue novel characters that be the rules could rewrite the entire world on a whim.

Eberron also doesn't enforce alignment as the be-all end-all of deciding you ractions.
>>
>>50585041
no, mystic was delayed again.
>>
what do you guys think? zombies: do they attack and eat animals or not?
>>
>>50585066
Only if they are an animal of the same kind.
>>
>>50585066
its entirely up to whoever is running the game
in traditional Romero zombie fiction, they dont
>>
Are there any good feats that add to CHA yet?
>>
>>50584555
seconding this
>>
>>50585142
Actor is pretty good if you are in an intrigue game.
>>
>>50585066
Attack, yes. Eat, no.
>>
>>50580097
>If Wizards ever revised a class archetype like they revised the Ranger, which one would you want the most?

WOT4E MONK
Let them copy dragon sorcerrer for it.
Basically pick one element you gain extra free stuff for and resistances.
Give them a basic elemental attacking abillity equal to a cantrip or imitate the basic sun soul lvl 3 feature.

Otherwise i want two things for monk subclasses:

Arcane caster monk that gets to combine MA and a propper spell slot/level list.

Drunken master monk who uses improvised weapons as monk weapons, tumbles arround and brews magic booze, maybe a dragonbreath capstone using alcohol.
>>
>>50585217
>trying to play a goblin warlock in Phandelver
>actor
I don't think so but thanks for the response. Maybe I'll just talk to my DM about some custom feat like changing the damage type of Eldritch Blast or something.
>>
>>50585256
Really, taking Sun Soul monk, changing the damage type, adding one of the Elemental Evil cantrips, and swapping out the spells is all you need for a solid Elemental monk. Won't be full Avatar, but it'll be an improvement.
>>
>>50585268
Have you started up the game yet?

There are totally goblins, and they have been writing and receiving letters from the bad guys
>>
>>50585380
Have not read the spoiler.
I'm planning on being a goblin that had been kept alive after a nest was cleared out to engage in some nature vs. nurture experimentation. Probably roll LN, might be GOOlock if I can think of a good reason why space gods talk to him. Maybe he finds a tome of stuff in the library of the people doing experiments on him.
>>
>>50585372
That's why i mentioned making it a more focused archetype like dragon sorcerrer.
Have some common stuff but one thing (element) you are better at than others.
>>
>>50585422
Experimented on by on by cultists to see how malleable gobbos are as thralls.

There is also gobbos that have been indoctrinated to be chaotic evil (even more than other goblins) and ones that are lawful good and some that are now essentially mindless automotons like 40k Kriegers
>>
File: Scott_Summers_(Earth-1610)_005.jpg (144KB, 597x1160px) Image search: [Google]
Scott_Summers_(Earth-1610)_005.jpg
144KB, 597x1160px
>>50585422
>>50585468

I wouldn't ditch Force damage on EB. It is pretty much good against everything. You are hurting them with pure newtons, punches from the punch dimension
>>
>>50585490
Yeah but I'd like to be able to cycle through different damage types since it's cool and stuff.
>>
File: 1392691502090.jpg (131KB, 625x875px) Image search: [Google]
1392691502090.jpg
131KB, 625x875px
Question.

Banishment. Does it end any spells that are affecting a creature?

i.e. a Giant has various debuffs cast on it, hex, hunters mark etc. It is banished to another plane of existence. Do these concentration spells maintain whilst the creature stops inhabiting the material plane?

The best answer I can find is this SA talking about range.

>If you’re concentrating on a spell, do you need to maintain line of sight with the spell’s target or the spell’s effect?
>You don’t need to be within line of sight or within range to maintain concentration on a spell, unless a spell’s description or other game feature says otherwise.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-spellcasting
>>
>>50583913
Go wizard or Bard
>>
>>50583411
>>50583480
The character has some motivation for it in their background, without going into a ton of detail, so that is already sorta being worked on. Thanks!
>>
>>50585599
Pretty sure everything stops once you're transported to another plane.
>>
Another player in my party really wants to make a wrestling/brawling character, but doesn't want to be useless. Got any tips? DM has said characters will reach about level 6 by the end of the campaign.
>>
There isn't much from 3.PF that I miss but man there were these small things, like those feats that made multiclass gain lots of synergy like you now can spend ki or psychic points as if where the same resource, or spend spells slots to boost [insert class feature that spends resources], or spend uses of bardic performance as smites, etc. Also practiced spellcaster, such a nice feat.
>>
>>50585934
>level 6
Barbarian.
>>
>>50585934
I'd say Barbarian. Maybe pick up Tavern Brawler as a bonus. Just keep in mind the Grapple Shove combo.
>>
>>50585934
>but doesn't want to be useless. Got any tips?
Try other system or >>50585975 and spend turns grappling and shoving to help others because he isn't going to deal damage lol
>>
>>50585599
Unless the spell specifically states that the creature must be on the same plane of existence, you can maintain it
>>
If I cast mordenkainens magnificent mansion can I access the same one as previously used or is it a different (even if visually identical) manor?

What im getting at is can I use one as my lair away from lair or would I need to spend the gp and time to pimp out a demiplane to store my shit.
>>
>>50586094
If you want a mechanical advantage, the answer is no
>>
>>50585934
barbarian frenzy 3/monk 3 or barb 4/monk 2
frenzy barbarian + flurry of blows. just describe everything you do in fine detail
>>
>>50586106
More for character reasons, as its a Wizard researching shit and as such would have his manor decked out like a 5 star hotel/laboratory.

I suppose that could be considered a mechanical advantage.
>>
>>50586140
>frenzy barbarian + flurry of blows
...can you explain what you pretend with this?
>>
>>50585599
Traveling to another plane won't stop the curses affecting you.

Banishment will end spells like Witch Bolt, which specifically say they end if the target is out of range, and Telepathy, which ends if the two creatures are not on the same plane.

By the same token, being banished won't end beneficial effects or spells. So if you have something that makes you immune to being incapacitated then you can still take actions while in Banishment's demiplane.
>>
>>50586094
By RAW, the answer is no.
>You conjure an extradimensional dwelling in range that lasts for the duration. (i.e. 24 hours)
However, I don't think that's really the problem you think it is, because again, by RAW:
>The place is furnished and decorated as
you choose.
So you have have whatever fancy hotel accommodations and fancy lab equipment you want.
>>
What is the most fun martial class to play?
>>
>>50586376
Yeah the main issue wasnt equipment so much as the things I bring in to research being ejected after 24 hours. (The wizard in question reverse engineers magic gear and stuff, currently researching Curses and how they function differently than normal spells)
>>
>>50586481
Probably a multi class involving Rogue, Barbarian, and Battlemaster.
>>
>>50586481
If you like having skills, and rolling assloads of dice, Rogue, especially Swashbuckler.
>>
>>50586488
Sounds like you need to set up a wizard tower with a teleportation sigil, or wait two more levels for Demiplane.

>>50585934
Thief with the Grappler feat. Take expertise in Athletics. Use your bonus Use Object action to shove soap down their throat.
>>
>>50586549
>grappler feat
top kek
>>
File: 1336363443545.gif (1MB, 212x226px) Image search: [Google]
1336363443545.gif
1MB, 212x226px
>When you've never killed a player before
>When you kill two of them in one session
>When you don't feel any guilt about it
>>
>Protection cleric trades compelled duel for shield in its spell list
>Forge cleric loses passive +1 AC at level 6 and swaps shield for something else
How are they?
>>
New thread

>>50586898
>>50586898
>>50586898
>>
>>50586878
Forge cleric is best cleric
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.