[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 387
Thread images: 42

File: we 3eg now.jpg (59KB, 1442x342px)
we 3eg now.jpg
59KB, 1442x342px
>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50556027

What was the worst/best UA?
>>
>>50566548
>left the (embed)
ONE JOB
>>
>>50566548
Eh, I was going to wait for the previous thread to hit 6 or so but whatever.

>Didn't remove (embed)
ONE FUCKING JOB.
>>
>>50566548
Best UA? I dunno, the cleric one was pretty good, but Forge seems a bit too powerful. Fighter had two good ones, and two pointless ones.
>>
>>50566548
Best UA was unfucking the ranger right before I was going to try playing one.
>>
>>50566626
Did it actually unfuck it? I was playing a Beast Master before it released and we haven't met since.
>>
>>50566651
It swung a little too hard toward OP but it is much more useful imo.
>>
How is it possible that so many people are so utterly devoid of the two brain cells needed to rub together to proofread an OP? It's not just this general either, fuckheads on /vg/ do it pretty much constantly. At one point I remember there being a string of like 5 [embed]s after a youtube link.
>>
Any point to using a 2h weapon as a protection cleric? You get to impose disadvantage without a shield, too, but really what the fuck is the difference between d8 and d10 when you only get one attack
>>
>>50566685
Apologies, I was too busy laughing at my own retarded joke.
>>
Repostin from last thread.
New DM trying to make my own magic items as a reward from a tribe, how does this sound for a level 5 party?
This +1 longbow deals magic damage for resistances to non-magical weapons. This bow has 5 charges, regaining 1d4+1 after every long rest. While using this weapon, the user can expend one charge to cast hail of thorns, with a DC of 13. You can expend multiple charges to increase the level of the spell, up to 3 charges.
For a fey college bard
>>
File: Buff Mage.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Buff Mage.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hey guys check out this swood homebrew I brewed up
>>
Is the D&D Wiki supposed to be a bunch of homebrew crap or is it actually a wiki of useful info?
>>
>>50566883
Dand wiki is mostly shit. You might find something good if you look real hard and you're lucky enough
>>
>>50566883
The first one
>>
File: dandwiki.png (330KB, 914x801px) Image search: [Google]
dandwiki.png
330KB, 914x801px
>>50566883
dandwiki (pronounced: dan-dwicky) is nothing but toxic garbage, previously 3.5e-oriented but now with 5e homebrew as well. Avoid any and all content within.
>>
>>50566883
Homebrew garbage.
>>
>>50566883
It's a few good ideas with crappy execution and a lot of bad ideas with even worse execution.
>>
Ready for the inevitable zen archer next UA?
>>
>>50566950
oh god please no
>>
>>50566863
I know this isnt meant to be serious but
> If you chose strength,
your unarmed strikes deal extra damage equal to your Buff Mage level
1 level monk, 6 levels buff mage, deal 2d8+12+2xmod every turn
> 1d8 piercing damage
why piercing
>In fact just all of muscle magician
extra damage for level, or advantage on THREE(3) saving throws, or 10 speed? why is that even an option?
>your coloring book that you call a spellbook
This made me laugh desu
>>
>>50566909
>>50566915
>>50566926
>>50566933
>>50566936
Where do I go to get a good, complete list of spells, weapons, and magic items from 3.5e, 4e. and 5e? Especially 5e?
>>
>>50567039
The trove in this thread. Otherwise the SRDs have some of the stuff.
>>
>>50567039

Well for 3.5 you can just go to the old hypertext SRD. Just search 3.5 SRD, it's the first result.

As of now, 5e doesn't have anything of the sort, unfortunately.

For 4e, there might be something of the sort, I'm not sure.
>>
>>50567039
For 5e, you can use donjon, dndmagic.com or 5esrd.
>>
>>50567039
Official or homebrew?
>>
>>50567136

Disregard what I said, I'm a fucking moron.

Was not aware there was a 5th edition SRD. Good to know.
>>
>>50567039
There's the PHB for starters
>>
>>50567188
>>50567144
>>50567136
>>50567083
Thanks, that'll help.

>>50567163
Only official.
>>
>>50567216
PHB and Sword Coast Adventurers Guide contain all the officially sanctioned classes, afaik. Then there's the Elemental Evil supplement which contains races and spells.

There are many official Unearthed Arcanas with other class options, but they're not consolidated into one document anywhere because they're beta test material

As for magic items, they're all in the DMG, but that's not really for the player to browse. Mundane equipment is found in the PHB.
>>
>>50566883
It's interesting how dandwiki is the first place everyone seems to find when trying to find things online.

And of course everything they find there is completely wrong, but they still think it's okay to use it without asking the DM since it's the D&D Wiki and all.
>>
So I'm wanting to play a tomelock that picks up shillelagh and green flame blade, then wades into battle. The idea is that being easier to hit would be a good thing since I would later spells like armor of agathys and fire shield, along with using the occasional hellish rebuke. Any build advice for a punishment fueled shillelaghlock?
>>
>>50567296
Tbh I think i'll steal that idea, thats cool as fuck. High Con and Charisma, not sure on how much armour to wear for that build though, or even if wearing a shield would be a good idea
>>
A hippogrif the party tamed had a really shit hp roll, i wanted to give him levels in fighter or barbarian or something but i'm not really sure how i'd give it that first experience level, beyond that, is this a good idea anyway?
>>
>>50567296
You still don't want to be super easy to hit, though if you do go that angle I would suggest going for Constitution and Charisma for durability and damage.

If you can pick up Medium armor from somewhere or a shield it would help a lot. Perhaps a level in Fighter for Second Wind and a fighting style wouldn't be amiss.
>>
>>50567296
Shillelagh is a Druid cantrip which uses Wisdom. You can get it as a High Elf cantrip but then it's wisdom. RAW, you can't get Charisma Shillelagh.
You might be able to convince your DM to let you get it some other way but that's up to your DM.
>>
>>50567426
You can get it as a High Elf but then it's intelligence I meant. Whoops
>>
>>50567426
>>50567437

Pact of the Tome? This isn't new.
>>
>>50567426
>>50567437
High Elves can only get Wizard cantrips, Tomelocks get a small selection of cantrips from any spell list as Warlock cantrips. Congratulations, you were wrong on both counts.
>>
>>50567426

Do you even Tomelock, bro?

Also Bards can totally get shillelagh too.
>>
>>50567426
Shillelagh says it uses your Spellcasting Ability.
A Warlock's Spellcasting Ability is Charisma.
>>
>>50567489
>>50567488
>>50567481
>>50567447
Holy shit I'm retarded. Totally forgot about the Pact of the Tome
>>
Does anyone have a good top view token for a female aasimar paladin?
>>
I just read the description for diamond soul for the first time.

How strong is this ? it seems very strong
>>
>>50567546
Standard monk feature, all good saves.
>>
>>50567546
It doesn't matter because it's a class feature that comes into play beyond level 10 so it will never come up in play and therefore balance is meaningless.
>>
I've been looking into multiclassing, but the base rules are a bit unclear (as i read them at least)

Are your level bonus abilities based on your character or class level? As in if you took 1 level in fighter, and 19 in rogue, would you not get the lvl 20 rogue bonus ability?
>>
>>50567574
>the old "average game ends at level 10" meme
I'm sorry you've never played an above average game, anon.
>>
>>50567574
>It doesn't matter because it's a class feature that comes into play beyond level 10 so it will never come up in play and therefore balance is meaningless.
This, I dunno why people car about abilities beyond this level
>>
>>50567574
What sort of gay ass niggas are you playing with?
>>
>>50566987
Search your heart. You know it's true
>>
>>50567608
The average game ends before 10, friend.
>>
>>50567612
>What sort of gay ass niggas are you playing with?
I play with people who can't tell the difference between attack and damage rolls

>>50567620
>The average game ends before 10, friend.
There was a WotC poll saying this
>>
>>50567620
Not him, but average means just that. There are still lots of players playing beyond those levels, just not nearly as many as pre level 10.
>>
>>50567608
I will literally kill you for that pun.
>>
>>50567604
Class level. Otherwise you could take one level of every class and gain all their abilities.

I think only cantrips are affected by your character level.
>>
>>50567620

For all its flaws it is nice that the AL can actually let you play 10+ characters, especially with T3 adventures finally starting to make their way into it.
>>
>>50567653
Cantrips and Proficiency bonus.
>>
>>50567653
>>50567667
And spell slots
>>
>>50567667
>Proficiency bonus
Oh yeah, that too.

>>50567678
I don't think you're supposed to gain any spell slots for non-caster class levels.
>>
>>50567653
I figured as much.

So why do i see so many people dipping into multiclasses? It feels like losing later class features is punishing just to gain level 1 features.

Or is this just trading early game for late game knowing you arent getting that far?
>>
>>50567703
And number of hit die.
>>
>>50567604

You would not. When multiclassing:

-Your proficiency bonus and cantrip levels are based on CHARACTER not class level, so a level 2 fighter/1 ranger/1 paladin/1 rogue still has the same proficiency bonus (+3) as a level 5 rogue. A level 1 wizard/4 fighter still gets 2d10 firebolts, etc.

-You only get the proficencies of the class you took at level 1, unless otherwise noted in the multiclassing table.

-ASIs are tied to CLASS not character level. So our 2/1/1/1 friend up there would not have gotten an ASI yet.
>>
>new guy joins the group
>plays the exact same race/class and fucking background as me, my character being the longest living character in the group dating back to when it started

Is it bad that this really irks the fuck out of me? Like this dude couldn't have done something different?
>>
>>50567705
>Or is this just trading early game for late game knowing you arent getting that far?

A little. Often the best class feature a class offers is in the first 3 levels, so 17/3 is worth it.

Doing Sorcerer 17/Warlock 3 gives you infinite spells for example.
>>
>>50567678
That has its own weird way of scaling based on class levels though. The other two are universally scaled by overall character level.
>>
>>50567726
>he doesn't realize the DM conspired with this guy to give him a secret background as a doppleganger infiltrator who is attempting to steal your identity and life
You're gonna wake up one night to a perfect clone of yourself pressing a dagger into your neck and rolling your body into a ditch. In the morning, the rest of the party will wonder where the new guy went, and "you" will say he must have fucked off, how mysterious, oh well.
>>
>>50567725
This is a very big help. Thanks!

The book is very vague on the topic
>>
>>50567730
Huh. Guess I'll have to fuck around with this a bit more.

Thanks
>>
>>50567705
Some of the first class abilities are really good, and some of the level 18-20 abilities are crap.

Overall I don't think you really need to worry about multiclassing in most games, it feels like for at least for the first five or ten levels it's better to focus on a single class.
>>
>>50567705

Because multiclassing can help you fine tune a character, get more options, or otherwise get some kind of mechanical bonus. Some examples:

-Fighter 3/Rogue X loses out on sneak attack damage, but can get superiority dice for example.

-Monk/druid for wildshape AC bonuses.

-Bard/Warlock to get ranged damage and even more utility onto a bard.

-Bard/Rogue 1 for the ultimate skill monkey.

-Eldritch Knight X/Wizard 1 to learn more 1st level spells.

-Any class in the game can benefit from going fighter 2. Action surge is THAT good.

Most games never make it to level 20, so losing out on a capstone is not a big deal usually. Some classes don't care about their capstone, or get more benefits to make up for it.

As an example, I'm planning a bugbear assassin out. Fighter 5/Rogue X. I slow down my rogue progression a lot which mostly matters for sneak attack damage...but I get more attacks, keep my ASIs on track, and more damage through a fighting style (dueling) along with the damage and utility of superiority dice. While it eventually focuses mostly on rogue, it will play very differently to most of them in ways a normal rogue couldn't really do.
>>
>>50567795
It does seems less beneficial than in other systems i've used.

DMing some beginners soon so i'll encourage them to avoid for simplicity sake.
>>
Merry Christmas, I made something and humbly offer it to you: Winter/Holiday themed archetypes

It's also on DM's Guild if you're crazy enough to give me money
>>
>>50567824
Yeah, Multiclassing in 5e is far more often a tradeoff. It doesn't often give massive benefits compared to just a single class, and when it does it's usually just for a single level to nab a nice combo.

If you have new players, it's better off to ban multiclassing along with variant humans. Lets the players focus entirely on learning a single class, picking a subclass, and then eventually getting feats at level 4 to customize more.
>>
>>50567834
>Warlock of Santa

and in Whoville they say, anon's penis grew three sizes that day
>>
>>50567809
Do you find this approach weakens your "role" in the party at all, or is it just a different way to do roughly the same work.

As in are you less of a "rogue" and more of a fighter even though you are technically (class level-wise) a rogue?

I'm concerned with having a party member feel roles are being doubled up on.
>>
>>50567834
>merlin wizard

Nice, I want a fighter/paladin to mentor now
>>
>>50567900
Not familiar with variant humans. You just mean the different backgrounds in the handbook?
>>
>>50567900
>Ban variant humans
Except feats aren't even that strong unless you're going for some weird niche build. If a player is picking a simpler class like fighter, ranger or even sorcerer, feats are an easy way to give them something extra to flavor up their character.
>>
>>50567730
>infinite spells
?
>>
>Not banning feats altogether
This is the right way play
>>
>>50567834
That Sorcerer is basically a favored soul but I rike it

pretty much all of that stuff is solid anon good work. And this comes from someone who hates homebrew and doesn't allow UA
>>
>>50567934

It depends on what you're building. I Don't think the bard 1/rogue 1 steps on anyone's toes because nothing else even comes close to being as much of a skill monkey as that.

In the case of my assassin, not really. It's a build I'm making because making a super sword master assassin like something out of an Akira Kurosawa film seemed like a fun build. It's built to sneak and do damage, and in particular do a LOT of damage through the synergy of sneak attack and attacks of opportunity. Most rogues dip in and out of combat dealing sneak attacks - this character stands on the front line with the other tough martials punishing enemies for coming into its reach no matter what they do.
>>
>>50567955
Basically, there's an option humans get where they can trade their bonus to all ability scores for a bonus to 2 along with a feat. It tends to be a rather build-focused thing to get one so early, and while it can be nice for flavor, it might be a bit much to consider for newer players.

>>50567962
I recommend against it less for power concerns and more for complexity. If someone is new to the game, having to look through a list of feats and pick a list of extra benefits on top of their class doesn't make things easier to learn.

Better to wait until level 4 when somone has gotten a grasp of their own class and how the game works.
>>
>>50567980
No way, then I can't play my Spear Mastery fighter.
>>
>>50567934
I'm the party tank.
My first level was Fighter.
The following SEVEN have been Monk, and I'll be taking another Fighter next.
I am still the best tank.
>>
my buddy is running a combat sim session, where we just make characters and fight cool monsters

I'm going to do a sorcerer warlock, always hear you guys talking about it. everyone is explicitly making munchkin characters

the first fight is going to be at level 3, how would you guys do it? 1 sorc 2 lock?
>>
>>50568021
I can dig it. Just didnt want to fake people out to think you are a sneaky utility character and actually be more of a warrior.

>>50568026
Yeah just realized what you meant. Thanks
>>
>>50568068
What has the single fighter level given you? It feels like an odd choice for a monk.
>>
>>50568083

Nah. While I'll be taking the assassin archetype and doing my fair share of sneaking for those sweet, sweet crits, once combat starts I'll be standing shoulder to shoulder with the barbarian and such. At level 10:

-If they attack an ally next to me, I sneak attack them.

-If they attack me and miss thanks to my high AC, I sneak attack them with Riposte.

-If they attack me and hit, I only take half damage.

So I'm more of an agile fighter character than a straight up rogue.
>>
>>50568120
Don't you need to surprise them to do sneak attack damage?
>>
>>50568186
nigga what

read nigga read
>>
>>50568120
Nevermind i glossed over reposte
>>
>>50567834
>Survive on nothing but Milk and Cookies
Thank you based anon.
>>
>>50568106
Saves I value more, heavy armor and shield proficiencies.
>>
>>50568186

Nah. The rules for sneak attacks are:

-If you have advantage, you can sneak attack.

-If there is an ally within 5ft of the enemy, you can sneak attack.

-You get 1 sneak attack per turn (not round - that is, 1 sneak attack per turn of everyone involved in the combat though that typically just means 2 max)

The surprise round thing is particular to the assassin's assassinate ability, which automatically crits. So with this build I take sentinel at level 4 and the riposte maneuver from battle master to do sneak attack AoOs. So by standing next to an ally, I can use sentinel to attack the enemy if they attack my ally, or if they attack me and miss through riposte. And since I'm standing next to an ally I still get my sneak attack.
>>
>>50568234
>heavy armor and shield proficiencies.

but... both of those invalidate unarmored defense and a lot of monk abilities
>>
>>50568234
???

Monk loses most of their abilities if they wear armor or use shields.
>>
>>50568250

And you must be using a ranged or finesse weapon for the sneak attack, forgot to add that in.
>>
>>50568275
>>50568258
Check the PHB again.
>>
oh god not this armored monk shit again, fucks sake.
>>
so, what would you guys pick for L10 bard secrets?

I'm thinking Fabricate and Wall of Force
>>
>>50568296
You can't stop progress, Anon. By this time next year, half of all 5E parties will have a heavy armor monk or tavern brawling luchador.
>>
File: the first thing.png (60KB, 313x83px) Image search: [Google]
the first thing.png
60KB, 313x83px
>>50568291
k
>>
File: monk wat.png (835KB, 647x733px) Image search: [Google]
monk wat.png
835KB, 647x733px
>>50568291
>>
File: Number 2.jpg (87KB, 330x480px) Image search: [Google]
Number 2.jpg
87KB, 330x480px
>>50568291
>>
>>50568347
How is this a problem?
>>
>>50568360
>>50568291
You know, only their 3 core features. I guess you get slow fall, evasion and stunning strike, which are totally worth.. Uhhh.. Seven levels of monk.
>>
>>50568291
yea you lose out on unarmored movement and unarmored defense, two major monk features. You need a free hand for deflect missles, so if you're using a shield and a weapon there goes that too

more over, even if it doesn't explicitly say you can't wear amor or use a shield or something, for a lot of these features it's almost definitely implied.

such rules-lawyering interpretations of RAW is a definite sign of that-guyism. I'm sorry for your group.
>>
File: 3rd.jpg (25KB, 323x141px) Image search: [Google]
3rd.jpg
25KB, 323x141px
>>50568291
Maybe this is the one you are wrong about?
>>
File: monkfeatures.png (887KB, 1235x818px) Image search: [Google]
monkfeatures.png
887KB, 1235x818px
>>50568360
>>
>>50568291
>>50568234
You lose their Martial Arts feature though, which is.. The only reason to play a monk. Did you seriously do seven levels of monk to get evasion and slow fall?
>>
File: 1356829748514.gif (570KB, 360x246px)
1356829748514.gif
570KB, 360x246px
Just bought Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat.

How badly did I fuck up?
>>
>>50568409
Isn't Flurry of Blows going to suck since you don't get Martial arts? Two unarmed strikes as a bonus action is kinda crappy when you're dealing 1 damage with them.
>>
>>50568425
Enjoy your railroad.
>>
>>50568382
Deflect missiles works with full hands, it's returning the missile that requires a free hand.
No one returns missiles because it's a waste of ki.
>>
>>50568420

I mean while I think it's dumb and power game-y even for me, you get to go shadow monk and basically turn into a fighter who gets infinite invisibility and to teleport every turn.

>>50568425

Not at all as long as you like escort missions. Any other module is better than those though.
>>
>>50568409
There is no way that's worth it just to get extra AC.

Monk already has an AC feature that you're ignoring, so it's not even like you're gaining something that monk can't provide at all.
>>
>>50568429
It's worth 8-12 potential damage (1+Str), which isn't great, but there's the occasional moment where you might want to spend it.

Like if you've sussed out a creature's HP and you know you're just slightly off from killing it, or if this is the last guy in combat and you know you'll be ending the session or resting afterwards, or you just really want to dogpile on some damage. or you're fighting a skeleton
>>
>>50568409
Why not just make a fighter if you are going to ditch the things that make a monk interesting?
>>
>>50568425
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com.br/p/hoard-of-dragon-queen-index.html

These will help you.
>>
File: clapping snek.gif (686KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
clapping snek.gif
686KB, 498x500px
>>50568425
You bought the two worst adventures by a large margin. Congratulations.
>>
>>50568409
>Flurry of Blows
Except since Martial Arts doesn't function, you
a) have to use STR as your ability, not DEX
b) the attacks only do 1 damage, so on average you're doing half your base damage.
>Deflect Missiles
I don't even know whether this works, because without martial arts, the monk weapon damage modifier isn't in play. It might just become a 1d4 improvised weapon unless you can say it resembles another weapon.
>Ki-Empowered Strike
Gee, 1+ability modifier magical weapons. Blowing me away here.
>>
>>50568467
I feel like I'd only do it if I was playing a race that got stronger unarmed attacks in some way, like a Lizardfolk. Then a strength based armor monk wouldn't be totally bad.
>>
>>50568502
Why even bother with unarmed attacks? You have a Fighter level so you can use whatever melee weapon you want.
>>
File: 1427291571286.gif (3MB, 320x291px) Image search: [Google]
1427291571286.gif
3MB, 320x291px
>>50568482
>>50568446
>>50568431
B-But they're ok with the rewrites and guides r-right? >>50568474
>>
>>50568522
Because Flurry of Blows and other things specify unarmed strikes.
>>
So I've been thinking about the magical hand crossbow which has a shield attached.

It's a +1 weapon and also gives 1 AC (not 2 because the shield is smaller than a normal one), but due to its size and weight requires both hands to use.

Now I want to give it an additional effect that triggers when an attack misses you.

It will be either that you can make an attack with your crossbow using your reaction when you block an attack from an enemy.
Or you can shoot one additional time when you use the attack action for the first time on your next turn. The second effect would probably have a charge system.

How does that sound? Which sounds better, or should get tweaked?
>>
>>50568522
>Why even bother with unarmed attacks?

So you can actually make use of Flurry of Blows, duh. 1d6+strength twice is going to be a lot better than 1+strength twice, and if you're using a shield it isn't that bad compared to a longsword.
>>
>>50567834
>Warlocks of Santa
>Hanukkah Paladins
>Black Friday Barbarians
>Lumberjack Fighter with druid spells
>New Year Clerics
>Reindeer riding Rangers
>Jack Frost Rogues
>Hardcore Rave Monks
>Actual Magi Wizards
>Angelic Sorcerers
>Christmas Decorator Bards
>Solstice Druids

Rocked my socks, anon.
>>
>>50568457
Capping out your Monk AC requires enough ASIs to get your Dex and Wis to 20.

Capping out an armor user's AC requires you finding full plate and a shield. And with Fighting Styles, you can have an easy +1 here over a naked Monk.
>>
>>50568567
You could always take Tavern Brawler and make use of your bonus actions on turns where you don't want to spend ki. You'll have to drop a weapon to grapple anyway (if you want to keep that shield) but you can still make unarmed attacks with your head, feet, whatever else. Or use your shield as an improvised weapon, I guess.

Actually, I don't think there's anything technically wrong with picking up a broken table leg, improvised weaponing it as a club, smacking an enemy in the face, dropping the club, then using your now free hand to grapple them thanks to Tavern Brawler. So there's that.
>>
>>50567537
Help?
>>
>>50568598
Yeah, but if you DO get your Dex and Wis to 20, then you're literally throwing away 3 features for a single point of AC. In the long-run, that doesn't seem worth it. In the short-term, it seems like you're gimping yourself for a ~15% dodge chance.
>>
>>50568636
Or, rather than spending the feat, just play a Lizardfolk and be able to bite people for 1d6 while having a sword and shield.
>>
>>50567834
>Timber!
>add 1d6 + Wis damage when dealing crits with slashing weapons
This is actually 2d6+Wis since you're doubling all damage die on a crit, right?

>homebrew sage advice
>>
>>50568526
I'm the one who sent the guides. I've been running Hoard ever since November 2015, now we're about to begin Rise of Tiamat. If you're willing and able to spend some time prepping and can improve some of the content, they're fine. My players are having a blast. The only chapters that need a lot of rework are the 1st and 4th of Hoard.

And yeah, there's no escaping the railroad in HotDQ. Make sure your players are fine with it.
>>
>>50568671
You don't double all damage dice on a crit.

You add an extra damage die.

Greatswords, for example, do 3d6 on a crit, not 4d6.
>>
File: 5eg anon reads the phb.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
5eg anon reads the phb.png
557KB, 700x483px
>>50568732
Are you illiterate, anon? If not you should consider rereading the book.
>>
File: Crits.jpg (33KB, 326x172px) Image search: [Google]
Crits.jpg
33KB, 326x172px
>>50568732
You roll all of the dice twice.
>>
>>50568732
No, that's the half-orc special.

You roll all the dice twice and add the modifiers for a normal crit.
>>
>>50568732
PHB pg 196
>>
>>50568732
Read the combat section again
>>
File: koob.png (77KB, 500x500px)
koob.png
77KB, 500x500px
>>50568732
>>
>>50568766
>>50568772
>>50568774
>>50568776
>>50568789
>>50568806
savage
>>
File: 1370452595671.jpg (647KB, 2048x1536px)
1370452595671.jpg
647KB, 2048x1536px
>>50568724
I've read through the first few chapters. Seems like a lot of ideas shit onto a page which you have to make sense of. I'm going to spend time remaking them with the guides.

>>50568732
Double the number of dice rolled then add your modifier.
>>
>>50568766
>>50568772
>>50568774
>>50568776
>>50568789
We might have been baited guys
>>
>>50568425

Tyranny of Dragons is fine for a group of new players but experienced players who are judgemental and obnoxious snowflakes will probably bitch and complain. HotDQ is more work for the DM but somebody already gave you links to some guides. I think Sly Flourish also has one on his site. Between those you are golden. Make sure to get the errata and supplements from WotC's website.
>>
File: 1255681187664.jpg (68KB, 350x446px) Image search: [Google]
1255681187664.jpg
68KB, 350x446px
>>50567834
>That Santa Warlock 14th level ability
>>
>>50568825
No, I said that and I was legitimately wrong. I was thinking of the half-orc rule for some reason.
>>
File: youreafaggot.jpg (284KB, 729x582px)
youreafaggot.jpg
284KB, 729x582px
>>50568382
>even if it doesn't explicitly say you can't wear amor or use a shield or something, for a lot of these features it's almost definitely implied
>>
>>50568820
If you have any questions, I lurk on 5eg from time to time and wouldn't mind helping a fellow anon running that adventure.
>>
>>50568671
Back to the original question, I don't think you'd add 2d6 because the extra 1d6 is added when the crit happens. It shouldn't be rolled into the critical damage calculation.
>>
>>50568856
RAI has been a thing forever

wotc can't really account for the plethora of autism out there, they assume that people can use basic inference making skills.

Do you really thing they intended for a monk in plate armor slowly floating towards the ground with slow fall? or a monk in plate armour leaping thirty feat in the air?
>>
>>50568925
yeah, otherwise they'd keep saying you need to be unarmored and not using a shield.

I think wotc is shit but not that shit.
>>
>>50568925
Considering how anal they are this edition about specific rules and repeating things you would ordinarily assume? Yes. I absolutely think they'd keep saying "no armor or shields" if they didn't want you floating and flying.
>>
>>50568856
>>50568925
>>50568947
I really don't see a problem with it. If somebody wants to give up all the free stuff they get from the first couple levels of monk and essentially play a Fighter with Ki points, why not?
>>
>>50568925
I don't like the idea of Sorcadins so I feel like it's not RAI that you use magical powers granted by an almost certainly evil or amoral patron from another dimension who doesn't share your oaths to fuel your righteous smiting. Therefore anyone who plays a Sorcadin is a That Guy and fuck you, Sage Advice is wrong and I'm right.
>>
>>50568990
>Sorcadin
>Patron

I could understand disliking Warlock combos with Paladins (Aside from Ancients + Fey pact which fits perfectly), but Sorcerers are just bloodlines. What's wrong about using your Silver Dragon powers to help you smite things?
>>
File: 14659832.jpg (91KB, 662x660px) Image search: [Google]
14659832.jpg
91KB, 662x660px
>>50568867
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>50569069
Whoops, I meant Lockadin.
>>
>>50568990
>>50569069
There's the UA Undying Light pact Warlocks who draw their powers from the positive plane too.

Still, it feels awfully powergamey.
>>
>>50569109
The Positive Plane is as utterly alien as Star Pact Warlocks would be. Just because its energy heals people doesn't mean it likes people (or has much of a thought about anything). Positive Energy healing you is just a side effect on the path to KILLING YOU DEAD.
>>
>>50569108
Use the better portmanteau, Pallock.
>>
>>50569143
Lockadin has been in use since 4e, though.
It's sort of been Locked In.
>>
>>50569109
>>50569136
I think Undying Light also covers pacts with Angels and the like. Still probably not the most meshing thing, since if they're giving out their own power to followers something might be up, but I could still see it working very well for a Vengeance Paladin alongside with an Angel who's lost favor to operate a bit outside the main church structure to smite evil.
>>
>>50569136
Well, I don't think a Vengeance paladin would really mind as long as it would help them to stop their foes.

Actually, they could go as far as making a pact with a fiend, one of their tenets is "By any means necessary" after all.

That's awfully lot of edge for a single character though.
>>
>>50568978
Aside from Wot4E sucking and Open Palm, all the Monk archetypes let you do pretty silly things with a Fighter, yeah

Shadows can teleport and cast Silence, which is amazing. Pass without trace makes up for your lack of stealth ability and covers anyone else in the party who would suck too. And minor illusion is OK if you want to be a little shit

Long Death becomes an even better tank. High AC, temp HP on kill, Dodge actions as long as your ki holds out, and holy shit Hour of Reaping has no uses per rest or ki requirements, protect the whole fucking team all day

Sun Soul is the silliest
It refers you to the Monk table and says its damage scales off your level like Martial Arts, but doesn't explicitly say it's matching your unarmed damage from Martial Arts so you could seriously argue for full Monk damage light beams from your fists despite wearing armor
Even if your DM doesn't let that fly, it uses Dex, so you can play a finesse Fighter/Monk with a rapier and take the Close Quarters Shooter style from the Underdark UA and negate your ranged attack disadvantage from within 5 feet and get a free +1 AB. Failing that, Crossbow Expert will at least negate disadvantage
So now you're a ninja in full armor punching laser beams out of your rapier in melee for full damage and better accuracy than a regular Fighter

I'm kind of excited to see what armored monk shenanigans will be possible in the next UA
>>
File: salamander.jpg (186KB, 733x1008px)
salamander.jpg
186KB, 733x1008px
Is this stupid, and if you were my DM would you allow this?
Essentially I want to play a salamander, and I found pdf related. According to that, a CR 5 creature is ~=a PC between 12 and 16th level. I also noticed that slamanders in the MM have 12 hit dice, and fire snakes have 5, so I split up all the things that salamanders get from fire snake through adulthood and wrote it up as a class.

Salamander
>Racial Traits+2 DEX, +1 STR, -2 INT
>Vulnerable to Col
>Immune to fire
>Understands Ignan
>No hands, cannot speak
>Darkvision

Level 1
>D8 Hit Dice
>Natural Armor (+2)
>Physical Attack (Tail)
Level 2
>Extra Attack
Level 3
>Heated Body
Level 4
>Ability Score Increase
Level 5
>Gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from non-magical attacks
Level 6
>Grow arms, learn to speak
>Gain proficiency with 1 Martial weapon of your choice
>Ability Score Increase
Level 7
>Tail Grapple
Level 8
>Ability Score Increase
Level 9
>Double damage from Heated body; Gains heated weapons
Level 10
>Ability Score Improvement
Level 11
>+1 AC (natural armor)
Level 12
>You have grown enough to be considered large. Your hit dice are now d10s
>>
>>50569247
I don't get the hate. Obviously you don't need Unarmored Defense if you're wearing armor. And you don't need Martial Arts if you're using a weapon. All that remains is Flurry of Blows--is FoB supposed to be all there is to Monk? They're already on the lower end of the martial spectrum, and that's assuming they are taking full advantage of something like a quarterstaff and FoB to boost their damage.
>>
>>50569353
Nah. Better off would be to take a Dragonborn or something and call it a Salamander instead, and just have a tail rather than legs.

Race as class and monstrous levels aren't something 5e handles well.
>>
File: get out.jpg (106KB, 560x510px) Image search: [Google]
get out.jpg
106KB, 560x510px
>>50569353
>Is this stupid, and if you were my DM would you allow this?
It's stupid and I wouldn't allow it.

Level Adjustment was cancer.
>>
>>50568990
> Sorcerer
> Patron
???
>>
>>50569353
Looks.. Really weak?

I dunno, kinda weird.
>>
>>50566797
Seems good.
>>
>>50569353
I feel like reskinning a Tiefling and/or Dragonborn would work well.

Then maybe ask the DM to make custom feats for Salamnders.

I would say most monsters that have inherent magical abilities would be Sorcerers.
I would likely make things like a Beholder be a Sorcerer as well.

You could even have a story element where you multiclass and are ignoring your heritage and trying to be more of an adventurer and less of a "monster". in which case i would take levels in Fighter. Betray the strange and embrace the mundane.
>>
Okay guys, so I'm thinking of bringing some basic one-shot gunpowder weapons into my game, matchlock and wheel-lock. Not sure what to do about matchlock considering how fiddly they are, but I thought of this for wheelock:

Gunpower Weapon

Wheelock pistol, +4 to hit, 2d10+5 piercing, 5lb, Ammunition (range 30/120), gunload, breakable.

Gunload: Requires 3 actions to reload.

Breakable: On a roll of a 1 to hit, the gun breaks. Roll a d8 and consult the following results

8: The powder failed to ignite from the spark; can be used next Action.
7-2: The spring was wound too tight and the coil has snapped. Requires 1d4 days of passed DC 15 Tinker checks to repair; 50GP for each day spent repairing (whether a success or a failure). A casting of Mending each day gives advantage on the Tinker roll.
1: The powder was too fine and the gun has exploded! The gun is completely destroyed and unrecoverable; in addition take 1d6 points of fire damage from the small explosion.

I'm designing it as a powerful one-shot weapon that's used as an opener with maybe a sword in the other hand, that replaces an ordinary attack. Of course, multiple pistols will be allowed, but maybe have a carry limit of 4 of them on a belt. (Aside from the terrific cost of these guns).

I think it will also allow some otherwise weaker enemies to get some good licks in when they advance in levels.
>>
>>50569704
Nah, someone with Sharpshooter and archery is just going to carry 4 of these. They'll probably take Lucky or be a Halfling to ensure they won't break as well.

+4 to hit on the gun completely offsets the sharpshooter penalty, meaning a single shot with it will basically be doing 32 damage on average, with very good accuracy as well.

A Ranger or Fighter is going to take a couple shots with these, and then just switch to a Crossbow or Bow afterwards.
>>
>>50569353
>no hands
>cannot speak
Why do you want to play this?
>>
>>50569804
It's always, always, because of sex things
>>
>>50569804
Well I was thinking that it could be fun to have to emote through body language.
I mean, I'd basically be starting off as a baby, and then rapidly maturing to adulthood through adventure.
So kind of the party pet becoming an equal
Idk, I thought it sounded fun

>>50569413
>>50569438
>>50569595
I was going based off of this document. I thought it seemed pretty balanced
>>
>>50569794

Oh sorry if that wasn't clear; +4 to hit means that *is* the to-hit with it, proficiency and dex/str doesn't come into it.

Lucky and Halfing are relevant points; maybe make it 1-2 to break it?

And otherwise, I might make Sharpshooter not apply to Gunpowder weapons; tempted to make a seperate feat just for it.
>>
What's a good pc class build or monster stat block to use for a Lawful good paladin hellbent on hunting the party down and slaying them for great justice?
>>
R8 6th level Bard build

Variant Human
Rolled stats
8STR 14DEX 14CON 9INT 14WIS 20CHA
AC 19 HP 45
+1 Quarterstaff & An Instrument of the Bards
Feats: Moderately Armoured & Magic Initiate
(DM Gives everyone a bonus feat at 1st)
4th level +2 CHA
Magical Secrets: Shillelagh & Counterspell
Magic Initiate: Booming Blade, ???, and Armour of Agathys 1x/day

Spells: Cure wounds, Hypnotic Pattern, Silence, Hold Person, general utility, etc.

I want to hit people good. Will this work?
My plan is to Hypnotic Pattern and then manacle them or just Hold Person them then smack them to death with the stick until they die with 2d8+6 a hit
>>
File: shoujosweat.jpg (87KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
shoujosweat.jpg
87KB, 450x253px
My DM is fucking insane.

We went through all this shit and got our asses kicked by the wrong kind of giant bird (hippogryphs and hippogriffs are two different creatures apparently) so we could get +3 weapons and finally slay this ancient demon that was using 2E stats and was impossible to harm without them.

Except when we run up to fight this demon and his crazy cult, the BBEG busts in and we have a three-way battle on our hands. We decided to back off and let the BBEG and demon duke it out so we could kill or drive off the weakened victor.

But the BBEG wins, and he's a fucking evil wizard, so of course he uses the goddamn out-of-time demon as a component for some fucking curse that's reverting the rules of reality.

Now we're all stuck using THAC0. Everyone has ditched their armor in favor of running around naked except the Monk (now known as MASTER OF DRAGONS because of some 1E shit), who is swinging around a greatsword because it's the hardest-hitting weapon he doesn't have proficiency in. The rest of our martials are using shit like lamp posts and ladders as improvised weapons to get around it, too. We're all terrified of goblins, but feel pretty confident we could knock over a dragon. The problem with dragonslaying is we'd probably level up, and since we're currently 8, we'd gain more proficiency. The DM did tell our Fighter that since he's a Dwarf, 9 would be his max level ???? so he'd let him have four attacks.

Outside of our party, the whole social order has been upended because several peasants with rolling pins can bludgeon the king's guard into submission without much risk to themselves, and rats are the most dangerous physical threat in the world.
>>
>>50569979
>+4 to hit regardless of modifiers

Meaning at best, people will use it instead of getting sharpshooter, since at most points that effectively is a -5 to hit for a +10 to damage. Except not even then, since I think sharpshooter with a normal weapon is still better.

>maybe 1-2 to break it

Maybe no 'lol nat 1 failures' at all, huh?

Why are you trying to make guns single-shot death cannons that no player would ever really bother with?

the average damage on a single shot with that weapon is around 16. A third level Rogue is able to do 14 on average with Sneak attack, and be more accurate while doing so. And that's without costing any money or risking it exploding.

Why bother?
>>
>>50566681
Should be noted that is on lower levels, it's very front-loaded especially if you let the beast scale with overall level and not ranger. Not as bad as ambuscade but they're likely to balance it a bit better for the level curve for the actual release.
>>
>>50570063
>this is how 2e grognards run games
>>
>>50570073
People have this really weird thing where guns HAVE to have massive downsides in D&D. Look at Pathfinder.
>>
File: wat cat.jpg (95KB, 500x332px)
wat cat.jpg
95KB, 500x332px
>>50570063
>>
>>50570036
>rolled stats
>20 CHA by level 4
>two feats despite not using a single ASI for feats
>two magic items at level 6
Sure feels like not-5e.

That aside, most things seem to be alright,

Not sure what you have armor of agathys for. 5 temporary HP and a 'possible' 5 cold damage doesn't seem worth it at all when you could get a single cast of 'shield' which could save your ass.
>>
>>50570063
You should all hold down your DM, and kick him in the nuts until something breaks.

His nuts, or your foot, whichever comes first.

Never do a game-switch on people like that, what a faggot.
>>
>>50570063
that calls for a mutiny
>>
File: 1476069792574.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
1476069792574.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>>50570063
>>
>>50570063
Outdo him.

Introduce Perils of the Warp and/or even better, summon eldritch horrors so that the rules change over to Call of Cthulu.
>>
>>50570128
I don't even see why you'd need to make it that complicated. If you just want something that's a marginally better crossbow, just make a d12 version of the heavy crossbow that needs a Bonus action to reload.
>>
>>50570036
anon I really don't know what to say

you have two feats and 20 in your main stat AND two magic items

this reads like it's 3e
>>
>>50570073

Why does suddenly everyone have Sharpshooter? I'm intending this as a weapon for even melee-focused people to use. And yeah I'm happy for there to be an accuracy penalty for a damage boost.

And Sneak Attack would still work with it, I'd say.

>Why are you trying to make guns single-shot death cannons that no player would ever really bother with?

That's putting words in a player's mouth. And even if the players don't want to use it that's no skin off my nose; it'll be good info to have to make guns for NPCs.

>Why bother?

Because it's thematically appropriate for my setting, early guns are cool, and I'd like to give my players the option to get/use them?
>>
>>50570179
We do have a GOOlock...
>>
>>50570063
I normally don't advocate for player vs player, but you really should murder your GM
>>
File: 1457165912438.png (602KB, 1440x1312px)
1457165912438.png
602KB, 1440x1312px
>>50570118
>>50570131
>>50570159
>>50570169
>ITT: humorless faggots
What's it like to not be able to have fun

>>50570063
That sounds goddamn amazing. I want to play in this campaign
>>
>>50570128

'Massive' might be overstating it, but I can't just go about giving them absolute love, unless you want to class boomsticks as a kind of non-magical magical weapon.

To be fair, I intend on them being roughly as rare.
>>
>>50570241
BAIT
>>
>>50570191
>Why does suddenly everyone have Sharpshooter?

Not everyone does, but now rather than spending a feat, they may just spend the money on this.

> I'm intending this as a weapon for even melee-focused people to use

So basically removing any reason for anyone to go ranged? Melee can already do better damage than this by just running in and hitting more rather than trying to make a sharpshooter shot beforehand.

>Early guns are cool

And early guns also aren't death-rays that are entirely separated from the skill of the user and also twice as deadly as a typical crossbow shot.
>>
>>50570200
It's your best hope now.

It worked in whatever maid RPG game accidentally summoned eldritch horrors so many times the DM had to switch to call of cthulu, surely here summoning a reality-breaking elder god should break reality so much that you can laugh at the evil wizard and say 'Ha, we broke the universe more than you did.'
>>
>>50570132
>>50570188
Am I that obvious? I actually did come from 3.5e so most of my choices still have ties to that edition.

My DM is also rather liberal with magic items, as long as you can afford it you can typically buy a weapon or armour that's +1 etc.
Another secret. I didn't roll shit, I just did normal 5e point buy and added two to the main stat. Everyone else 'rolled' and has an 18/19/20 one twice or three(!!!) times, so fuck em.

As far as AoA goes, I figure more of my reactions will be using the Cutting Words to lower their attack at me so I wasn't considering shield as much. I'm still not 100% set in stone, but I'm considering the possibility of also just using CW on the damage rolls, so they do only 5pts to me, but my 15pts AoA 3rd level slot does 15Cold to them.
>>
>>50570229
>>50570159
We're not actually playing an old edition, though. We still have all of our features and most numbers that aren't AC and AB function the same. The effects of the curse go beyond just fucking with the system and are actually having in-universe consequences (peasants beating up armored knights) where none of that would change if we switched editions and rules entirely.

This is kind of a "taking the piss" campaign. Prior to this curse, the act that elevated the BBEG from "evil wizard" to kingdom-destabilizing asshole was exploiting some loopholes in magic spells to convert iron into gold, which he then flooded the market with and caused massive inflation. We bought a ring of featherfall two sessions ago for 13,250,000gp. The local thieves' guild shut down because it was no longer practical to rob people for any meaningful amount of money (it takes like 10 pounds of coins to buy a loaf of bread) and luxury items are worthless.
>>
>>50570063
Fucking kek. That must be confusing as shit, but I hope you're having fun, at least.
>>
>>50570302
Honestly, this is normal.

People treat 5e like it's not 5e and introduce wacky magical items for everybody everywhere, let people roll stats and give everybody bonus things.

So, yeah, you're fine, it's just the DM is probably a faggot.
You've got the main things going like counterspell at level 6 and upping your charisma to 20 and hold person and kinda decent magic items. I assume a +1 weapon is much cheaper than something like a cloak of protection.
Thing is, a level of multiclass could get you a shield and medium armour rather than taking feats for it, but eh. Delaying casting progression and all that.

I mean, seriously, if your DM has any sense or experience he should EXPECT you to cheat. If you didn't cheat, he'd be sensible to ask 'why are your stats so low?'
>>
>>50570185
Because people have brain-damage about this stuff.

Guns are in the fucking DM's guide anyway. Or yes, do that.
>>
>>50570302
In 5e, you choose between ASI or Feat.
>>
>>50570397
He got one from variant Human and another because his DM gave everyone a bonus feat at level 1
>>
>>50570262

>And early guns also aren't death-rays that are entirely separated from the skill of the user and also twice as deadly as a typical crossbow shot.

Point taken. But one some reading it seems that guns did at least have more punch to them, if not more damage than a crossbow, yet were still a little slower to reload.

So perhaps a regular kind of Heavy/Light Crossbow shot damage-wise, but with a to-hit bonus representing armour penetration would be better?
>>
>>50570302
>>50570387
Do people really roll stats out of table?
>>
I haven't multiclassed before, but I kind of want to dip 3 levels of fighter for my ranger. How do I know when is a good level to do so? Just whenever I'd get a feature I don't mind waiting another level for?
>>
>>50570465
phb ranger?

you wanna multi-class after level 5. That's when you'd get 2nd level spells and extra attack
>>
>>50570427
>Muh armor penetration

The term Bulletproof comes from the fact that smiths would shoot plate armor with a gun, leaving a dent as the proof it could withstand bullets.

If you want them to do more damage than a crossbow, then just have it be a d12. It already has a downside in that you won't get extra attacks with it, and as a martial weapon anyone who doesn't get extra attacks will have a harder time getting proficiency.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how the stats in the DMG work for that reason. You don't need to get fancy with this.
>>
>>50570502
Revised, and beast master so I get coordinated attack instead of extra attack but it's similar enough that I do want it ASAP. I'll probably be five by the end of next session, but maybe I can delay greater favored enemy for a level.
>>
>>50570359
ok that shit is hilarious
Barter time~
>>
>>50570509

But such armour became increasingly rare as the years went on as the stopping-power increased.
>>
>>50570262
>>50570427
>>50570509
I don't like guns in my 5e, but I do use them in my OSR games. Namely, LotFP. I very much like the rules for them, in that system. The matchlock rules, anyways. Flintlocks are a bit better, but they lose a lot of the flavor that comes along with them.
>>
>>50570302
Had the same issue with my group, we littered the game with magic items because the MM and DMG hadn't come out yet when we started, and we just assumed magic items would work out similarly. When the MM came out we looked at it and realized we could kill the purple worm at level 9, so we had to chuck a lot of magic items and rebalance the few we kept.
>>
>>50570601

Neat.

The armour reduction would be hard to work into 5e though.
>>
>>50570636
Just add +2 to hit when standing withing 30ft of the target if the user is proficient in firearms.
>>
>>50570598
At which point you aren't really dealing with Early firearms anymore. If you want to play a Renaissance game and dislike Eberron for some reason, then yeah, just give all of your players 10 gold +1 rifles and remove heavy armor from the game.
>>
>>50570636

Perhaps make it so gunpowder weapons don't even roll to-hit, but the target needs to make a Dex save instead to avoid the shot.

That way it kind of maintains an armour-piercing quality to it.
>>
That's it. I'm sick of all this "crossbow but d12" bullshit that's going on in the 5th edition system right now. Wheellock pistols deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine wheellock pistol in Austria for 2,400,000 Euros (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even shoot through slabs of solid steel with my wheellock pistol.

Austrian gunsmiths spend years working on a single wheellock pistol and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest handguns known to mankind.

Wheellock pistols are thrice as shooty as modern guns and thrice as accurate for that matter too. Anything a glock can shoot through, a wheellock pistol can shoot through better. I'm pretty sure a wheellock pistol could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple chest-aimed shot.

Ever wonder why medieval England never bothered conquering The Holy Roman Empire? That's right, they were too scared to fight their disciplined soldiers and their wheellocks of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the wheellock pistols first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Wheellocks are simply the best pistol that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the 5e system. Here is the stat block I propose for wheellocks:

Gunpower Weapon
Wheelock pistol, +4 to hit, 2d10+5 piercing, 5lb, Ammunition (range 30/120), gunload
Gunload: Requires 3 actions to reload.

Now that seems a lot more representative of the shooting power of wheellocks in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Wheellocks need to do more damage in 5e, see my new stat block.
>>
>>50570721

ur a cheeky cunt u kno dat
>>
File: 311 - SnrZzj1.jpg (41KB, 393x406px)
311 - SnrZzj1.jpg
41KB, 393x406px
>>50570721
>>
>>50570721
classic
>>
>>50570721
Man, I forgot how unfunny stale jokes are.
>>
>>50570721
Man, I forgot how funny stale jokes are.
>>
>>50570655
Is it not possible to mis-mash?
>>
>>50570721
kek
>>
>>50570063
>Evil so ancient it uses stats form the 90's
Beautiful. Your DM actually posted about this about 2 weeks ago.
>>
>>50570761
>>50570763

MAKE UP YOUR MIND
>>
>>50570764
Yes, it is. At which point, you have early Firearms be relatively rare 1d12 damage crossbows, and more advanced firearms be the equivalent of +1 or +2 magical 1d12 crossbows, to represent better rifling, accuracy, and firepower.

You don't need to invent an entire gimmick for guns. 'Oh they go through armor so it's a reflex save like a disintigrate spell so you have to dodge it and it does 3d12 damage because bullets kill everything and it breaks on a 1 to balance it because that's fun and not annoying'

Just. Stop.
>>
File: 1454235256187.jpg (13KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1454235256187.jpg
13KB, 225x224px
I played my dnd for the second time last week and I found myself not enjoying it for the same reason I didn't enjoy it the first time. I feel like the game moves really slowly because people want to make a fuss and try to be funny about everything as opposed to just trying to solve problems efficiently and get on with the game, most of the time when speaking in character it's to try to be funny rather than for immersion. After a while it just gets tiring. For example every time there a female NPC comes up it's a joke.. you know what I mean. This happened the first time I played but it was pretty clear they weren't really to into the game and just there to get together for banter. However last week I got the feeling they wanted to seriously play the game (games every Friday) but the atmosphere is similar to the first group.

Is this just standard stuff? I mean I want to play seriously, maybe not roleplaying to the extent that everyone is speaking in character constantly but at least trying to make in decisions the character would make and not try and crack jokes at every opportunity. If I'm going to cringe at someone rp'ing I'd rather it be because they were really in character seriously rather than taking the piss. Is the group just not for me? Or maybe I should give it another shot?
>>
>>50570828
It sounds like the rest of the group may want something else from the game. Take that how you may.
>>
>>50570807

>Just. Stop.

No I'm digging this Dex save idea right now; just forgo an attack roll entirely and make the target dodge. DC 16 or something...or lower, but impose disadvantage on heavy armour.

Or maybe still keep a misfire roll around. And I still have to decide on damage though.
>>
are spell points better than normal casting?
>>
>>50570879
>disadvantage in heavy armor
>the type of armor most resistant to bullets

Anon
>>
>>50570879
Oh, my bad. I thought you wanted Early Firearms. It seems you were asking for Wands of Disintegration.

I mean, logically there's no case where heavy armor would be worse at preventing you from being hit by a tiny ball of metal, especially when it isn't any worse against Fireballs or literal death lasers.
>>
>>50570898
They give casters way more versatility, since they can cast lower-level spells way more often.
>>
>>50570909

You seem upset.

>>50570901

You have a point; no disadvantage then; I imagine those in heavy armour wouldn't have great Dex anyway.
>>
>>50570898
Yeah. I'd give spell points for sorcerers though. They already can convert their spell slots, and it makes them feel a little bit more special.
>>
>>50570925
>You seem upset.

And you seem retarded.
>>
Am I making a mistake in running a campaign that's very mission based? I have an idea to run a campaign for my players that will let them accept different kinds of seafaring style missions of their choosing, things from economy based trade missions, to pirating missions, to bodyguard missions, and a ton of other stuff, but I'm worried without having a real concrete storyline for the players will just get bored.

Has anyone ever run a campaign like this? I'm not saying events won't unfold and they won't have a story, but I want it to be more episodic sessions where each one is a different mission that slowly lets them explore more of the world, and slowly builds pieces of a story from it.

Would this idea crash and burn?
>>
>>50570953

Just trying to make something interesting in my game anon that gives something unusual to what will be an unusual weapon, no need to be rude about it if you don't like the idea.
>>
>>50570975
So then ask for help adding laser guns to your game instead of early firearms if you were asking about unusual weapons.

Because early firearms aren't some esoteric thing that behaves wildly differently than a crossbow.
>>
>>50570971
Just ask your players how they would feel about a campaign in that style
>>
>>50570971
I run a similar campaign based out of an adventuring guild on a strange new continent. Give them plenty of options, things to do in their downtime, and you should be fine. Assuming your players enjoy that sort of gameplay, mind you.

It depends a lot on the group. Maybe have a session zero and ask them what they think, what they want, etc.
>>
>>50570971

Depends what your players are looking for, to be honest. Perhaps talk about the format with them upfront before the game starts, run it for a session or two and then re-evaluate based on how engaged they seem.
>>
>>50570828
Some groups like the game to focus more on dungeon delving than others, and some like the banter and socializing aspect. Having a bigger (6+) group makes the game way slower as well.
>>
>>50570998

Well neither are lasers according to the DM book, so I just have to assume you're not happy that I'm not happy with the rules in there.

Anyway, at this point I can't say the discussion is going to be productive. I'll leave you to it.
>>
>>50571007
>>50571018
>>50571022

Alright, I'll talk to them about it, and maybe do a session zero and session 1 with it to see how it actually plays out.
>>
Hey 5e, how powerful do you like to make your artifacts when designing them?

If you ever have.
>>
Had a fun session tonight.
My Totem Bear 'Social' Barbarian was in a fight with some trolls and, in an attempt to assault one with a flaming table leg, set herself on fire.
This resulted in her just punching the trolls whilst on fire herself, stopping them from regenerating and doing some damage, whilst the rest of the party did the rest of the damage and almost died.
>>
>>50571104
Did you multiclass into Warlock?
Because that sounds like a Hellish Rebuke
>>
>>50567978
You eat your Warlock spell slots for Sorcery Points, spend those Sorcery Points for more Sorcerer spell slots, then take a short rest and get your Warlock slots back.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
>>
>>50571130
Nope, Level 3 Barbarian.

The 'rage' is just in her blood. She's generally nice, and tries to get along, but she has a tendency to take sleights against her very personally, and as a result isn't actually allowed to carry her own weapons most of the time.
However she has Tavern Brawler, so she's pretty adept at punching people regardless.
>>
>>50570898
Depends on what you want: Spell Points provide greater freedom of spell choice, but this does not always create extra versatility. There's always the temptation to burn all your SP on your highest level stuff, whereas you kind of have to use different spells since you only have so many slots per spell level.
>>
>>50571133

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/05/12/covert-warlock-spell-slots-to-sorcery-points/

holy shit that's a good combo
>>
>>50571163
Anon that was just a shitty pun
>>
>>50571184
Yeah, but I took it as an opportunity to talk about my character some more, as punishment.
>>
>>50571191
How dare you
>>
File: 1244003429991.jpg (29KB, 640x480px)
1244003429991.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>50567834
Holy fuck, anon. Ever-thankful.
Maybe I can take another crack at Warlord and make it actually balanced instead of busted beyond belief.
>>
>>50567834
Very well put together, great job anon.
>>
>>50570828
Christ I really need to proof read what I write
>>
File: 1378018562582.jpg (164KB, 1283x1281px)
1378018562582.jpg
164KB, 1283x1281px
Clarification needed

So you can only cast one spell per turn, with bonus actions being limited to cantrip only.

However, I'm assuming an item like a wand negates this limit.

For example could a mage misty step as a bonus then use an action with a wand of fireballs to cast fireball at max level?
>>
>>50568557
Well since nobody had any suggestions I came up with a new idea myself. How about this?

If an attack misses you, and the attacker is in the attack range of your hand crossbow, the shield magically absorbs the impact. The stored force can then be released. You can use your reaction to make one weapon attack against your attacker, if it hits the attack will deal 3d6 force damage and the target can be pushed up to 15 feet away from you if you choose so. You can then use this feature again at dawn.

How does that sound for a level 8-9 fighter? Should it have more uses of this feature or should the damage be increased/decreased?
>>
>>50571511
>at max level
You would cast the Fireball spell as given by the wand, so if you mean 'the greatest magnitude of Fireball the wand can give', then yes.
>This wand has 7 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the Fireball spell (save DC 15) from it. For 1 charge, you cast the 3rd-level version of the spell. You can increase the spell slot level by one for each additional charge you expend.
>The wand regains 1d6 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn. If you expend the wand’s last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the wand crumbles into ashes and is destroyed.
So you could expend up to six charges of the wand in a single cast, I'd say.
>>
>>50571542
OUT
>>
>>50571574
>>50571511
>seven
Fuck, I meant to include the charge for casting the spell. So you could expend all SEVEN charges.
>>
>>50571511
yes, because you're not casting the spell, you are using the magic item
>>
>>50571574
Yes that is indeed what I meant. Just wondering if I'm about to tpk my players tonight.
>>
>>50571511
>So you can only cast one spell per turn, with bonus actions being limited to cantrip only.
Well, no.

The only limit is that if you cast a spell that takes a bonus action, the only other spells you can cast in that turn are 1-action cantrips.

Otherwise if you have something like Action Surge, you could cast two fireballs just fine.

In the case of the magic item: no, using a magic item that allows you to cast a spell still counts as casting a spell, per the wording of each item and the rules on DMG pg. 141.
>>
>>50571605

Depends on how powerful the baddie is and how vicious you're playing them. My party survived five fireballs from Strahd in our fight with him for example. If your group has lots of fire resistance, evasion, or cover (remember, it adds to their dex saves) they can weather it.
>>
I'm at a little bit of a loss, /5eg/. My character was just killed in our Curse of Strahd game, and I'm not sure what to roll next.

We have a barbarian, a blaster sorcerer, a new bard (lore, but not sure what they can really do yet), and a bow ranger.

I was playing a Land Druid focusing on control spells. Lots of fun, but ended up dead.

The obvious choice would be wizard, but I'm not sure. It'd be very similar to my previous character, plus things in Barovia tend to be big scary monsters with high saving throws, not packs of things that can be controlled.

What should I do?
>>
>>50571658
monster hunter fighter.

ur welcom
>>
>>50571658
Does you DM allow UA material? If so, have your character come back as a Revenant of whatever race you were, still a druid, but now of the Circle of Twilight.
>>
>>50571658
Roll stats in order and pick the most fitting class.
>>
>>50571658

Curse of Strahd? Roll a LG light cleric or paladin. There is no better campaign in which to be a crusader of the light.
>>
>>50571658
>Curse of Strahd
>No Cleric or Paladin
The choice is obvious. Maybe go for Light Cleric if you want to have more damage spells. Would also be pretty cool to play someone so focused on bringing light into the world in a place like Barovia.
>>
File: 1371082213154.jpg (47KB, 432x600px)
1371082213154.jpg
47KB, 432x600px
>>50571624
Counts as casting a spell for bonus purposes. Doesn't count as casting a spell, for cost, slot or ability purposes.

Wand of Fireballs states it merely requires an action to activate (command word presumably). i.e. its usable by anyone.
>>
>>50571645
Nearly all of them have fire resistance by this point. 15d6 is still a lot of damage to half or quarter.

Depends how diplomatic they are. It's going to be his suicide option.
>>
Anyone got a link for monster tokens from the Volo supplement?
>>
>>50571771
They're in the Mega as a zip.
>>
>>50571743

It is, but like I said it depends on a lot of things. If he's just dropping one they'll be fine. On average rolls, you're looking at 60 damage. With fire resistance, a failed save will be 30. A passed save will only be 15 damage.
>>
So as a pallock how much paladin should i take? 2 levels gets me smites, a fighting style and lay on hands. 3 divine health and an oath (thinking vengence). 4 asi. 5 gets me an extra attack (might get gfb instead). 6 gets me aura of protection. I want to be as much of a warlock as possible (going fiend/tome) but dont wanna miss out on anything too good
>>
>>50567296
Go with Undying Light patron to maximize fire damage.
>>
>>50571814
>palalock
>paladin with a fiend patron

groaaaan
>>
>>50571693
>>50571706
>>50571720

My first character was actually a cleric, but was killed in the Death House to an unlucky crit.

He takes UA case-by-case, but usually allows them. I like how Revenant looks, actually. Maybe a Revenant Vengeance paladin would work.
>>
>>50571837
>But anon, it's a really good combo!
:^)
>>
>>50571845

LG revenant vengeance paladin would be just about the most thematic thing you could play as a good guy in Barovia.
>>
>>50571837

>Not playing a paladin of Lolth
>>
>>50571837
Its for a non-good/evil campaign.
Long story short demons killed family cause demons
Swore revenge (vengence)
Asked for power to get revenge (fiend pact)
May or may not have been a false flag
>>
>>50571870
im also a filthy optimizer
>>
>>50571788
Thanks.
>>
>>50571837
There's technically not much wrong with a Vengeance / Fiend Lockadin.
>>
>>50571870
>Joining up with devils to fight demons
That's certainly a solution, but it seems a bit odd for a paladin to swear himself to a devil.
In my setting, there's a LE god that could fit the bill, but you'd get a wary eye from most of the setting for following him.
>>
File: Jaela.jpg (38KB, 271x443px) Image search: [Google]
Jaela.jpg
38KB, 271x443px
>Her Holiness Jaela Daran asks your party to go into the depths of Khyber on behalf of the church
What do you do?
>>
>>50571925
I see it as a distraught young kid who just lost his family swears vengence on the killers, says he'll do anything for revenge
Que stereotypical "Anything?" From generic devil. Signs on the dotted line and we're off. Not all paladins serve a god, some serve an oath, so as long as i fight the greater evil (demons, as my char sees it) im still a go on vengence paladin
>>
>>50571728
You want to go RAW? You can't. Because magic item still "cast" spell.

> Some magic items allow the user to cast a spell from the item.
> The spell is cast at the lowest possible spell level...

Casting bonus action spell prevent "casting" of the non-cantrip spell
> You can't cast another spell during the same
turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of I action.
>>
>>50571870
>>50571922
it's semi autism but I really dislike people thinly attempting to veil pure powergaming choices with a very fine layer of fluff

like you didn't go Fiendlock/Vengpally because you liked the flavor or fluff of it. You did it because smites on a short rest and temp hp on kills and to take Tome for GFB and like shillelegh to be Single AD

It's whatever, if your groups like that then do whatever floats your boats. But if you're playing with people who don't give a shit about minmax and are playing like a half-orc sorcerer and shit you're kinda a tool
>>
>>50571728
>>50572002
And even in Wand of Fireball itself.

> ....to expend 1 or more of its charges to cast the fireball spell (save DC 15) from it.
> CAST

So no. You can't CAST at all.
>>
File: 1356905210263.jpg (218KB, 479x640px)
1356905210263.jpg
218KB, 479x640px
>>50572002
Yeah I went and found clarification from the devs.

Wands still have the limit on them. They're only good for not costing slots/mats.

Guess I can't teleport behind them and cast nothing personnel fireball.

He'll just stand on a high balcony and do it instead.
>>
>>50571927
Oblige the Lolipope. We make our preparations, and shall descend to the depths of the Dragon Below at dawn.
>>
>>50571927
I shall rally a group of the faithful or other adventurers to the task! Merely point us at our target and means of entry and we shall do so, oh great Speaker of the Flame!

I say this a loyal monk in the service and study of the church who has mastered the path most radiant.
>>
>>50572020
I always interpreted that as a 'there's no better word for it' phrasing, but if you want to interpret it like that, I guess.
>>
high jump is 3+mod+1/2 level
>>
>>50572007
Im probably going whip or raiper.
Using a feat for actor
Stupid shot like darkness/devils sight
Not using any of the eldricht blast invocations (despite my inner powergamer)
Im going to optimize no matter what i play, but this char concept really sounds fun to me so sorry that its optimized
>>
Given all of the UAs lately, how soon should we expect PHB2? Two years from now? Seems a bit fast.
>>
>>50572122
I wouldn't expect a PHB2. If anything, expect a small book with stuff from the UA's polished up a little.
>>
>>50572089
>a 20th level Fighter jumps merely 38%, or 5 feet, higher than a 20th level Warlock with 10 Strength
3 + (Str*2) + 1/4 Level
>>
>>50572122
The first splat will be out the end of next year.
>>
>>50572122
Summer 2017, pushed back to mid-fall 2017
my dad works at wizards
>>
>>50572077
That's not how rule interpretation work. Either you go with pure RAW or .

RAW can't be change. So you can't use "but dev can't find a better phase here". Since that would be RAI.

But we already knew that the RAI is "no" from >>50572037
>>
>>50572145
>A 20th-level Barbarian jumps 56 feet in the air straight up
>>50572166
I prefer to keep RAI ruled as interpreted by the DM, but this isn't a mountain I'm willing to die on and I wouldn't try to push it in any game I'm playing in.
>>
>>50572089
>high jump is 3+mod
>If proficient with Athletics, high jump is prof bonus*str mod
>monks can use prof bonus*dex mod
Using a minimum of 1 for the modifiers.
>>
>>50572007

How do i play a Lockadin without coming off as someone trying to min-max?

I like the idea of the Paladin getting powers from being virtuous and then seeking more power to do righteous acts so he makes a pact with some otherworldly entity.

IMO Fiend is right out, i guess it works with vengeance, but i seriously doubt, even a Vengeance Paladin's goals would be in-line with any kind of Archfiend. Obviously Ancients and Fey work really well together, Faerie Party time and trickery and what not. GOO can pretty much work with anything, just some weird Old God. I'd probably have the Paladin confuse it for the physical manifestation of their god or something.

I really dig this "Undying Light" patron thing for being paired with Paladin. It seems to fit really well imo. But i don't fucking get how it works
>Your patron is not a specific entity, but the energy that radiates from the Positive Plane.
How do you make a deal with energy?

I would love to be some kind of Race who is supposed to be evil and monstrous, and have it be this conduit of light and positive energy. Like...i'd probably make the background be that he was being crucified/burnt at the stake and the light of the positive plane inhabited him. Somethin thats supposed to be real ugly that I can describe as looking less monstrous, as though the monster inside it was snuffed out by the light and this being is what is left.
>>
How powerful would an archetype feature be that adds 5 feet to a character's speed? What level should it be gained at?
>>
>>50572225
While I don't really see a problem with 20th level Barbarians jumping 56 straight up, I was talking Strength mod. So, due to their +4 Strength capstone, it'd be 22 feet.
>>
>>50572261
Yeah, I know. That was the joke.
>>
>>50572243
Revised Ranger Deepstalker gives +10 to speed on first round of combat at level 3.

I dunno...i think it would be fine for it to be at level 3 if its just 5 feet. Though admittedly I would put it at level 6/7 and pair it with a second thing.
>>
>>50572231
>How do you make a deal with energy?
The same way you can accidentally contact a GOO and gain your powers.
>>
>>50572231
>How do you make a deal with energy?
You become a Power Ranger and connect to the Morphin Grid.
>>
>>50572285
This is not helpful. I don't know how one would accidentally contact a GOO.

>>50572331
Thanks, this was actually more helpful.
>>
So in my new campaign there is going to be an adventurer guild in almost every city, they are free to have their own rules but must obey the orders of the principal adventurer guild, how is this type of organization named?
>>
>>50572362
The PM Guild.
Originally founded by a green knight and a red knight, nobody knows what the PM stands for.
It stands for Professional Motherfuckers.
>>
>>50572231
As far as Forgotten Realms is concerned, Positive Energy is an elemental force the same as Fire, Water, etc., are, as well as even Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos. Positive is not "good" or "friendly" despite the common misconception that it must be because it heals or is effective at destroying undead (which are actually Evil) and shadows (which are merely Negative, and aren't elementally Evil).

While all of the other planes are full of creatures, the Positive and Negative Energy Planes are pretty much barren wastelands composed entirely of their energy. They have no native creatures but for weird wisps of light called energons which are utterly inscrutable; scholars aren't even sure if they have an intelligence or are merely acting on instinct or a sophisticated stimuli-response system. If they do have an intelligence, though, it is unknowable.
>>
>>50572362
Depends on how centralized it is. If they just obey to a common set of loose rules with little central control, calling each a guild is perfectly fine.

If there is some kind of overall authority you could call it an Order, with individual areas being chapters or branches.
>>
>>50572351

Accidentally contacting a GOO isn't really that hard.

>Found a seemingly innocuous artifact that was linked to it
>One of you wander into the other's dreams
>Given corrupted contact deity spell
>Joined a cult that thought they were worshipping something else than what it was.
>Local religion slowly corrupted

and so on.
>>
>>50572362
Hunters/Clan Halls.
>>
>>50572283
Good insight, I'll throw it with a 7th-level feature.
>>
>>50572231
>>50572412
While the "true" Elemental Inner Planes (Fire, Water, Air, Earth) are mostly content to sit around and fight amongst themselves, and it is their rulers (the Godly Elemental Lords--Kossuth, Istishia, Akadi, and Grumbar, as well as the lesser Princes [who come in Good and Evil flavors]) that push to expand their element's influence among the planes and the Prime Material in particular, the Pos/Neg Planes have no ruling entity to make plans.

Rather, it is the energy of the Positive and Negative itself which seeks to seep everywhere it can and spread its influence. Like a gas, that energy is trying to expand to fill every space they can and take over. This is actually pretty bad, because they are both highly dangerous--Negative, obviously, because it kills everything, but it paradoxically brings about its own form of non- (and un-)life in the process, but also Positive, because it has no checks on its healing power or how much "life" is enough.

Left to its own devices, Positive Energy will well up in a creature, cure all their wounds, and then incinerate them from the inside out. Outside of an individual, Positive Energy will create life any way it can, without regard for whether that life is Good or Evil or useful or harmful to other living creatures. It would throw ecosystems out of whack, stave off any form of death, lead to massive overpopulation and overcrowding, and eventually start incinerating everything once a critical mass is reached. It doesn't care, it just wants to spread and grow. It is a force of cosmic nature.
>>
>>50572445
>>50572231
Negative Energy wells up from the deep places of the world, in a metaphorical sense, and more often collects in little puddles or "ditches" where the planar boundaries are weak. You are more likely to find large concentrations of Negative Energy than Positive due to this pooling effect.

Positive Energy essentially rains down from above and runs everywhere. You find life all over the place, but even the most fey-blessed forest is seldom as Positive-aligned as a graveyard where a necromancer plies his trade. It is far more diffuse, and also generally more common than Negative Energy, but NegEn's ability to concentrate is what allows it to overcome PosEg in noticeable ways.

As far as "how do I RP a Positive Warlock", that really depends on what is known in-universe about these Planes, both on the scholarly level and just by your character. Most PCs and NPCs SHOULD have the misconception that Positive Energy is "Good" or "holy", if only because angels and healing clerical spells are shooting it around all the time.

Don't forget, however, that patrons require service on the part of their bonded Warlocks. Just killing a lot of zombies and lighting torches isn't going to suffice forever. Eventually that Plane is going to try and compel you to do something that gives it a serious leg up in the world, and you should see some serious consequences down the line from that. "Oh, shit, maybe this thing isn't as purely benevolent as I thought. Maybe there is such a thing as 'too much of a good thing'. Maybe there's a reason why mortals and even angels who go to the Positive Plane unprotected EXPLODE within a minute."
>>
>>50572231
Ancients Paladin + Fae Warlock, the silver knight of the forest whom fights for the will of the seelie court.

Undying Light + Devotion Paladin, the knight of the holy sun.
>>
File: 1392389989136.png (252KB, 717x533px)
1392389989136.png
252KB, 717x533px
i'm thinking of having my homebrew setting have the gods being gone for thousands of years after a cataclysm (nobody knows what happened to them) but slowly, over time, in their places certain beings were worshipped to a demi-god status.

One example would be the god of death and rebirth be a giant fungus mold, several hundred yards wide/long. People eventually found that out that it was sentient and a cult grew around it. It's not evil but views things like death as natural cycles that provide life to come about in it's place, which will eventually be replaced by death, and so on.
>>
>>50572582
>tfw sun deities and friendly churches are desperately trying to misinform the public on the origin and nature of the sun
why are you letting them get away with this, chauntea
>>
>>50572445
>>50572524
Thats some real fuckin cool shit for my brain to chew on.

I'd probably do some kind of...Oath of Crown and Undying Light combo where the "Kingdom" he's serving is like some ancient Atlantis style kingdom. He's following and enforcing the laws of this old kingdom, fulfilling the Will and Testament of their last King. Maybe this kingdom destroyed itself with too Positive Energy and my character is retreading the path that destroyed the greatest civilization the world had ever known.

Admittedly i'm less of a player now and more of a DM. So i tend to use ideas for PCs as NPCs who dont stick around for more than 1-2 sessions.

What happens if a Warlock disobeys their Patron? Do they just lose all their powers?
>>
>>50572632
Fungus Domain Clerics? I am already sold.
>>
For a knight 3 / bearbarian x...

Should I use a shield? Or should I just ignore AC (since I am a barbarian after all).

Sword and board seem pretty cool and Iconic. I can use Rage damage + dueling style to do some damage toi.

Half-plate and shield is only 19 AC though... Not sure if that will be enough...
>>
>>50572701
>>50572632
My last cleric homebrew was winter domain, I'm totally doing fungus domain next.
>>
>>50572720
You're a Bearbarian, you get resistance to everything. I would go with a twohander so your attacks with your knight features are even more punishing.

You're already giving them a hard choice, attack someone else with disadvantage, or attack you with resistance.
>>
>>50572765
I knew that two-hander (especially polearm) is more optimal. I prefer sword and board though.

It's pretty boring when everyone is either using rapier or greatsword/maul.
>>
>>50572668
>Triton Undying Light Crown Lockadin
>The Last Knight of Atlantis
Thank you for giving me this idea.
>>
>>50572668
>What happens if a Warlock disobeys their Patron? Do they just lose all their powers?
Typically no, your powers aren't granted directly like a clerics, they are gifts you acquired from your patron. That said, there usually is SOME reason you got them, so there should be consequences for breaking the terms, if you had some.
Personally, the Undying Light power i would fluff as being exposed to a font of positive energy somehow, the powers you have are essentially forced expansion of your own life, which continue to "evolve" as you use them/gain levels.
>>
>>50572795
You were the one asking if you should sword and board.

Why not go dual wield then?
>>
>>50572721
>winter domain
I'm interested in checking that out.
>>
>>50572795
There aren't enough shield utilities for the Fighter class.
>>
>>50572668
>What happens if a Warlock disobeys their Patron?
That's really up to you and your DM. Different entities react in different ways, have varying levels of knowledge about what their Warlock is up to, and may or may not actually have worked this "betrayal" into their ages-long plan.

Generally speaking, Patrons don't have a lot of room to revoke powers as such. Warlocks are legitimate arcane casters who are TAUGHT secrets of magic; a Patron can no longer take back a secret than a Wizard's mentor can take back all those hours of tutelage. It is a different dynamic from a Cleric who is almost asking "can I cast Bless" every time and hoping God's not paying close enough attention if they're using this spell to be a dick at the moment.

Those secrets are just kind of deposited there overnight and the Warlock may not fully understand them. Warlocks can swap out spells and invocations, for instance.
A Warlock who has fallen out of favor with their Patron can likely still gain higher spell slots and more Eldritch Blast scaling, but isn't getting new invocations, swapping out spells / invocations on level, may lose access to archetype spell lists, and many of their archetype features could either be disabled, have a chance of failure, or a chance of mishaps. They may have to resort to other means of learning in the mean time--it's all just arcane knowledge, after all.

A Patron who is mad at their Warlock plots to get even. They will likely send other agents of theirs against the betrayer or attempt to screw them over with the very powers they gifted them in the first place.
A Fiendlock who's pissed off his buddy Orcus might find himself getting sucked through Hurl Through Hell with the target, and battered all the same.
A GOOlock trying to touch others' minds might find a far more powerful, stranger mind attempting to touch his at the same time.
And a Feylock's patron is probably fucking with them even WHILE they still have a good relationship.
>>
>>50572795
Be sure to take the Shield Master feat, then. You can shove people prone for free advantage and its other benefits have a great synergy with Danger Sense.
>>
>>50572808
The main gimmick that I wanted was to be able to draw shapes using ice. So if your group isn't big on tactical combat, it may not be as fun. Still, it's pretty thematic.
>>
>>50572846
>Generally speaking, Patrons don't have a lot of room to revoke powers as such. Warlocks are legitimate arcane casters who are TAUGHT secrets of magic; a Patron can no longer take back a secret than a Wizard's mentor can take back all those hours of tutelage. It is a different dynamic from a Cleric who is almost asking "can I cast Bless" every time and hoping God's not paying close enough attention if they're using this spell to be a dick at the moment.
Typically god gifted spells are granted at time of prayer and held by the caster, NOT the time of casting. Specifically for FR, the cleric quintet makes it pretty clear that, other than Cadderly, normal clerics don't have to grab their spells upon casting, but already had them prepared. He even mentions not doing so as frequently as he should, prior to getting straight into Deneir's music.
>>
>>50572810
I think we need another category of "Fighting Style" in addition to the existing ones.

You've got the ones all about how you use your equipment, like Protection, Dueling, GWM, Archery, etc.,

and another that informs how you act on the battlefield. Something like Charger, Tripper, Grappler, Marker. Something that gives you a thing to do each round, if tactically appropriate, instead of just relying on the passive benefit of your first Fighting Style and "I swing at a guy 1/2/3/4 times, turn over".
>>
>>50572917
I think I'd prefer to get a Versatile and Thrown Weapon fighting style before they branch out more into non-weapon styles.

If they did go into something else, I'd like to see more 'Stance' styles like Tunnel Rat
>>
Another week passes, and another ua is released where the only interesting option presented is the first one.

But hey, at least we didn't get some sort of anti undead class that inexplicably deals necrotic damage. Small improvements.
>>
what are the advantages of the elves trancec sleep thing?

i mean, they cant even keep guard while theyre awwake since they need to rest for 8 hours anyway. is the ability just fluff?
>>
>>50572987
I'm talking about a whole extra feature.

You get your choice of the existing Fighting Styles and whatever other new ones they come out, with, and also one of an assortment of Tactical Styles.
>>
Would a multiclass caster require multiple focuses? For example would a cleric/wizard require a holy symbol for holy spells, and a staff or wand for arcane spells?
>>
>>50573026
At that point you could just get a component pouch to cover both.
>>
>>50573017
I feel like that's already pretty well covered by Feats.
>>
>>50573026
As a dm, I don't care. If it matters to you as a player, I'd let you roleplay making a special combined focus, like a rod with divine symbology carved into it.
>>
> My druid taking a long relaxing bath with Shape Water (warm up by produce flame) at camp
> He can even change to flow of his water to create a jacuzzi effect
> Frozen fruits and ice cream as snake
> Ritual caster feat, so he can have unseen servant massage him and dress him up

How can dirty martials even compare? Most of them don't even bath in camp.
>>
>>50573054
And when they fuck animals, martials do it as humanoids, the filthy perverts, am I right or am I right?
>>
>>50573050
There's only two good tactical feats and you shouldn't have to give up an ASI to have fun and interesting shit to do.
>>
>>50573054
>Druid
>Preserver of the balance of civilization and nature
>Lol magic 4star spa while innawoods
This is how you get angry fey.
>>
>>50573026
>Using arcane foci instead of component pouch
When will people realize component pouch is superior? Don't have to weild anything in your hand, can hide your pouch behind your robes.
Arcane/Holy/Druidic foci are dumb as shit!
>>
>>50573098
Most of the stuff you said is already pretty possible though. Tripping and Grappling is easy enough as a Fighter already, especially with how many attacks you get. And then outside of all that, there's subclasses to help do more tactical things.

I don't think Fighter needs an entire extra thing on top of that when you can already play a Knight, charge in, shove one guy, mark another, and then grapple a third, in addition to whatever feats you get to do more stuff with bonus actions.
>>
>>50573092
> not conjure your own Dryad for the deed.

>>50573100
How would that disturb balance? No nature was harm. Pretty sure fey did the same thing too.
>>
Can someone just post the undying warlock part of SCAG? I'm without a laptop and mega won't work on my phone while I'm stuck at home after getting wisdom teeth out.
>>
>>50573142
>Using a staff to cast magic is dumb as shit
>So much cooler to hide a sack full of bat shit and letter openers on you at all times
>>
>>50573145
Because all of "the other stuff you can do" absent feats is seldom more useful than just stabbing a guy.
>>
>>50573142
I'll take a symbol on my shield, with which i can lay the smackdown on an enemy, any day.

I already bashed in the face of the BBEG in our last encounter, the only hit that actually managed to hurt him
>>
>>50573197
And so you take feats. If you want tactical options to be better than the boring full attack, then don't obsess so much over maxing strength right away.

That is the entire point of Feats.
>>
>>50573188
Or even just the level 1 thing and spell list
>>
File: undying stuff.png (3MB, 1299x929px) Image search: [Google]
undying stuff.png
3MB, 1299x929px
>>50573188
>>50573307
sure, why not
>>
File: iszteram4p1y.jpg (42KB, 540x685px)
iszteram4p1y.jpg
42KB, 540x685px
>>50573385
Thank you my friend. Have a funny picture in return :)

unrelated anyone happen to know when I can eat pizza after wisdom teeth extraction? Getting conflicting answers trying to Google it and I miss food that isn't mac and cheese/shakes/whatever
>>
>>50573445
What the fuck is going on
>>
>>50573445
give it a week to a week and a half depending on stitches. rinse with salt water right after. be careful about getting food stuck in there.

source: had 8 teeth extracted at once. fuck that noise
>>
New thread

>>50573587
>>50573587
>>50573587
>>
>>50572668
>What happens if a Warlock disobeys their Patron?

Fucking nothing unless they decide to make being bound part of their character's backstory. One of the pact examples is even "it doesn't even know you exist". Christ, it's like DMs need to have one class be the "I can fuck over this one at will" guy, and now that Paladins have been fixed they've all seized on Warlocks as the new one.
>>
File: AAHAHA.png (458KB, 744x559px)
AAHAHA.png
458KB, 744x559px
>>50567834
>path of savings
>mediocre deals on inessential items
>>
>>50572989
You guys love to parrot that necrotic vs undead, where most undead don't even resist necrotic...
>>
>>50568811
>Sa(va)ge advice
>>
>>50570971
I'd say no. Mission based games are a ton of fun, just make it like a guild style anime
Thread posts: 387
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.