[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic and those who use it around the world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0251.jpg (36KB, 360x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0251.jpg
36KB, 360x440px
Who here is knowledgeable on real world magical traditions and how would you translate them into fantasy settings? They can be historical or contemporary. We had some talk on voodoo in the Africa thread.
>>
>>50564294

I know a little about korean 무당, but im no expert.
>>
File: IMG_0252.jpg (90KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0252.jpg
90KB, 600x400px
Bump
>>
>>50564421
Oh? Haven't heard of it, tell us what you know.
>>
>>50564469

So, 무당 is korean shamanism. The shamans are almost always women. They set up shrines to gods at places of power. The 무당 act as representatives of the gods, and connect man and the gods. You can go to them for various services, such as fortune tellings. They can bless and curse people. When you ask them for fortune tellings they take the spirit into themselves and then it speaks through them. Thing is, while this is hapening, they dance barefoot across blades. As in there are a bunch of blades raised edge up and locked in place, and they dance across the edges.
>>
>>50564596

To clarify, they do this without injury. You are of course free to check the blades edge if you wish.
>>
Eh, imma drop some more interesting korean things, like their creation myth. So, according to korean tradition they are descended from the demigod 당군. Basically way back in the day there was the king of the gods, who ruled the heavens. His son wanted to rule the earth. So he asked his dad if it was ok, and he said yes. So the son took 1000 gods and descended to found a city and rule the earth. Then a bear and a tiger came to him and asked him to make them human. He told them to live in a cave for forty days eating nothing but specific vegetation and without seeing the sun, and they would be made human. They descended into a cave, but the tiger couldn't take it and ran. The bear made it, and was turned into a beautiful woman. She married the son of the King of the gods. Their son was 당군, who founded the kingdom that later became korea. I once met a man in korea who told me he was a bear, and that his people were bears. I thought he was just tripping balls, but then I learned this myth.
>>
>>50564879
nigga u speaking of Hwanung?
>>
>>50565100

I'm sorry I can't Into romanization. Can you give me that in 한굴?
>>
>>50565147
sorry, can't do rice-runes
>>
>>50565193

Well crap. We have hit an impass. Perhaps you could elaborate beyond just the name?
>>
File: IMG_0204.jpg (106KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0204.jpg
106KB, 480x640px
>>
>>50566066
What kind of magic would they even have? "Turn own body into pretty yellow color"?
>>
>>50566099
i meant bones, not body.
>>
>>50564294
Most magical traditions have two main goals:

1-influencing fate in very remote manners
2-astral projection

neither are useful outside of spooky investigation games. The former translates into dice roll bonuses in extremely precise situations, and both require shitloads of mental training and discipline that are not compatible with an adventurer's life.
>>
>>50566201

Not necessarily. There are numerous magical traditions concerning the local equivalent of the evil eye, or the ability to effect nature. though i suppose that could be considered influencing fate. For instance the shamans of the Yanamamo perform rituals to curse their enemies and thereby kill them. And the trobrianders of papau new guinea believe that chiefs have the magic to kill.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.